Milepost 652 ESB - Old Black Bear Brewing Company

Old Black Bear Brewing Company visit their website
Alabama, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 02-29-2012

652 is our American take on the old English Pale Ale style called ESB, but this is anything but bitter. A very simplistic blend of malts reveals a smooth drinking beer that is a touch on the sweet side with a light Centennial hop aroma. Like most American spinoffs of British creations, the Brits should be thanking us for our improvements, and you will too.

to view more.

Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Draft
Glassware: Goblet
Purchased: On tap at the Nook, Nashville

Had this at lunch, my first beer from Old Black Bear.

Dark amber, near brown in color. Lacing on the glass was good and retention fair. Aromas of roast malt and caramel sweetness.

The taste was a balance of malt sweetness and earthy hop bitterness, tending to favor the bitter end of the balance. Carbonation and body seemed average, with a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.

While I'd tend to enjoy a more English take on an ESB, this was a good example from OBB nonetheless.

2.01/5  rDev -45.2%

I had this beer at the Huntsville airport and ordinarily that would grant any beer some leeway when it comes to preparation and this, flavor. And I would be lenient if it wasn't for the fact that just before this beer I enjoyed a perfectly fresh and tasty beverage from a competing brewery in town(straight to ale's monkeynaut).

Sour on the nose, slightly sour in the mouth. Bitter but thin.

For their sake I hope this experience is localized to this spot.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a golden amber color with a thick off white head and poor retention. Lacing forms a decent latticework. Hops have an overwhelming presence, as I not barely any malty sweetness. Seems more like a DIPA to me. Tastes of earthy hops with a spicy, very bitter finish that is semi sweet. Unimpressive body. Mouthfeel is smooth and potable. Overall, a decent ESB but it does not fit the style too well. The body is weak but I will buy it again.

to view more.