Flensburger Gold - Flensburger Brauerei GmbH Und Co. KG

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 01-21-2006

Ratings: 122 | Reviews: 63
3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Obtained this bottle from Foodworld in Pattaya. I have a strange affinity for swing top bottles - I grab 'em, use 'em and store homemade sauces in 'em. Anyway, the bottle was clear, made me think about the skunk - luckily it was not much of a botheration throughout. The beer poured a light amber - gold with plenty of life into a pilsner glass. The head was creamy and an inch deep, finally settling into a thin collar. This was my first Dortmunder, and it did look impressively resplendent, though like what any good looking pilsner would be like. The nose was sweet and malty which turned a little vinegary. You could distinctly smell the pilsner malts used therein. No hop presence, in the nose at least.
The beer was light on the palate, a tad watery but it suited the hot tropical weather. It tasted sweet upfront with a faint hop presence in the finish - making it crisp. The beer did taste a little watered down (with adjuncts maybe..??) - I don't know, but it being light and sweet at the same time didn't make sense to me. The mouthfeel was a little weak to my liking, I could have used a little more carbonation for assertion on the palate.
Overall, it was a nice experience having the Flensburger Gold. I can have plenty of them on a hot, summer day. Though I would like to try some more of the Dortmunders out there before I give a final verdict on this one.

3.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz flip-top into 23oz NY Mets pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear gold color with a large white head that dissipates fairly slowly and leaves light lace.

Smell: Sweet apple/white grape with mild grain notes.

Taste: Sour apple beginning, finishing with a sweet white grape taste and a touch of grains.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium body with light, natural carbonation and a refreshing finish.

Drinkability: Not a great beer, but certainly worth a taste. This one comes at a good price, too, so it's one that could be had affordably over and over.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Not a very aggressive pour and I didn't get much of a head. Color is like a hazy and dirty gold.

S - Sweet malty aroma. Reminds me a little bit of a dopplebock. Very faint fruity aroma - cherry, melon, and that Kedem white grape juice I often reference in some of my reviews... or is this muscadine? And some apparent notes of honey.... In fact, I'm getting a lot of honey.

T & M - Strange and mildly bland. A thin malty taste, almost medium body. A fruity backbone. Very light carbonation. Finish is too smooth but the mildly bland flavor doesn't exactly allow the smooth finish to carry much influence with me.

D - The most drinkable beer I've had thus far.

I need big flavor and this beer does not have it. I got this as my local spot and was dying to try it. I'm glad I did but I will move on to the next beer. Overall, the honey taste offers a unique taste but I don't see myself getting this beer again.

Saw this at my local beer distributor. I've alw

3.54/5  rDev +0.6%

I drank this, poured into a pint glass, at The Cove in Baton Rouge -- a place that has an incredible beer list.

Flensburger is a very good brewery and they are making some excellent German beers. This one is not the best of the bunch, but it's drinkable and pleasant enough.

Actually, as a medium-light colored lager, I liked it quite a bit better than your average European lager like Stella or Harp. It has some color, a bit of a carmelly nose, and some flavor that kind of begins to match the nose.

It's a nice beer, and it'd be easy to drink a few of them in a session. But I'd much rather spend my money on bigger, bolder beers.

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Very pale yellow in color with a thin layer of white bubbly suds on top.

Smells mainly of decaying banana peel. Sounds gross, but smells kind of tasty.

Tastes like clover honey and corn with some light fruit and banana peel behind it. Some slightly dusty flavor in the aftertaste.

Average feel for a lager. The finish is tongue suckingly dry.

Decent drinkability. Nothing outstanding, but a decent beer. Probably wouldn't have it again.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

From pour half finger slight offwhite head that died very quick to no head at all- a few bubbles here and there. Pretty sad looking. Not quite as "bubbly" as the other pilsner I tried. Color is a very light pale golden/yellowish. Very clear.

Extremely light on the nose. Light biscuity, light cereal grain/oats smell.

Taste, I would relate to how a Fat Tire "Light" would taste. Has a alright taste to it. Better than average but I wouldnt say good. But as for the style I bet its on par.

Pretty smooth, very low carbonation- nothing fantastic about this mouthfeel. A tiny bite. Very, very average..

Ive been staying away from german beers since ive been trying and reviewing beers. Usually because they are too light for me- but these two selections were decent experience.

Its very drinkable when compared to other low ABV lighter beers ive had that are just horrible. Its pretty drinkable, great for a lighter beer. I would just need too many. Dortmunder? Guess its my first.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

This was a beer that was recommended to me from friends and beer-store employees alike. I respect and value their opinions, so I figured I'd give this beer a try. Also it was $1.49.

I'm pouring at 52.3 degrees into a 16oz pint glass.

It pours very light amber with a one finger head. Almost no lacing on the glass. If I were to judge by appearance only, I would say this looks like a Bud Light.

The smell is also very light, there's a hint of sweetness to it, but its still hard to distinguish from an average lager. I can't say anything BAD about it, but it's not enticing my senses.

The taste on the other hand is something different. A very promising start, it's woodsy. It brings memories of camping with my dad. Very clean, with a very unique taste. Bit of honey sweetness at the end. I can't put into words what this reminds me of, but it's pleasant, I could overlook the average appearance and smell just by the taste!

The mouthfeel is not bad, just the right bitterness and carbonation. I can't say anything good or bad. Average.

As for drinkability, I would say yes. I would buy this by the case and serve it at parties if I could! Sessionable, but still average on the whole.

One side note: I plan on buying MUCH more of this beer, not ONLY because I enjoyed it, but because of the unique bottle. I plan on home-brewing again and these are the kind of bottles that will save you money on caps. Grolsh bottles are the same, but I don't care fro Grolsh, so this is a welcome alternative at $1.50 a bottle!

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

proper and just above average. had a first bottle and a bottle about a year old. nose is quite nice on both... something resembling a musty twig woodiness... quite earthy. not a balance malt quality. some bit of honey finish that is nice. not as resilient as some though. the age gave the fruit of the matter a bit more acidic a quality. doesn't really bring out anything palatable.

3.29/5  rDev -6.5%

Got this bottle a few weeks ago at Surdyk's in Minneapolis. Poured with a medium, off-white head with a little lace. Color is a slightly tarnished, clear brass. Aroma was very nice: reminded me of walking by our local regional brewery - of cooking malt and a little hops. Fresh. Flavor's the same plus some extra sweetness, heavy grain flavor with a little bread dough. Good body from all the malt. Decent carbonation. Finish is short to medium and like the flavor of eating malted grain. Not bad, but a little too much simple malt flavor for my taste.

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

300 mL brown fliptop bottle with a freshness date of 09.20.10. Pours a clear light gold color with a voluminous white foam that displays excellent retention and a smattering of lacing. This is a pretty looking lager.

Smell is grainy and sweet with a husky malt characteristic. No hop aromas are present, but it still manages to smell clean and fresh.

The taste is brisk and snappy with a pale toasty malt flavor. Hops come in and add a slight bittering on the finish to offset some of the malty sweetness. There is plenty of flavor packed into this brew and would be an excellent choice to give to a BMC drinking friend. Good price tag at only a buck and a half for a single.

3.46/5  rDev -1.7%

Flenburger Gold poured not surprisingly gold, with a decent sized white head, and nice lacing. The smell was malty with almost no hops. I found the nose to not be very fresh smelling. The taste was malty sweet. Very little hop bite. Mouthfeel was a bit light and to me seemed to lack carbonation a bit. Could have been a bit more crisp. Drinkability was good. Overall this was a decent lager. More of a novelty with its ceramic pop top. At $2.99 a bottle I will probably only buy this on rare occasions. But the bottles are keepers for home brewing.

3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12oz flip top bottle (they have thankfully switched from clear glass to brown) into a pint glass. Best by date of 11/30/09 on the back label. It was a slightly hazy gold color with just a touch of carb streams and no lacing. It had an average sized fizzy white head that quickly settled into a tiny partial collar.

The aroma was grainy, biscuity, vegetal - very close to a pilsener. This is my first dortmunder so can't compare it to others in the style but was good. Taste followed the aroma and again close to pilsener. Wasn't bad but didn't really scream drink more of me either. Definitely goes down easy but without really thinking about flavor while it goes down. Mouthfeel was crisp with a good hop finish.

Overall, a good solid middle of the road beer. Won't win any awards in my book for flavor but it's definitely better than a BMC. Recommend if you looking to try the style. For me, one and done just because better beers out there and not because it wasn't good.

[1x]

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 12oz. dark brown flip-top bottle into a pint glass. Poured a murky gold color with a large white head, lots of carbonation. There is a grainy smell, with a strong feel of apples. The taste is a bit watered down, drinks really easy with the apple taste up front and a bitter aftertaste. I'm not really digging on this one, too watery and light for my tastes.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours slightly foggy gold. Sweet grains on the nose. Seems like a touch of apples as well. A bit too sweet. Out of balance. Feel is sticky and a bit slick. Lower carbonation. This is just okay at best. Way too out of balance on the sweet and not really motivating me to finish it.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

Have a golden color; in the smell are essences of grains and caramel; good foam, quantity of alcohol and body acceptable; the taste is good, combines a smooth bitter with malts, with an accentuated and fresh sensation and carbonation; has a cork species instead of bottlecap; tasty to enjoy it with fish or sea food; The mouthfeel its not very good.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Sep 17, 2008
[Eyes] Clear golden with a good strong white foamy, good carbonation looks inside...

{Nouse] Flowery hops and caramel malt. Gentile carbonation.

[Mouth] The flavor is sweet and smooth the sweet side finishes with some bitter flavor. good for your first step in to the German Beers

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

Dark bottle with a swig top, purchased in Minneapolis. It looked fresh, I guess. No way to tell, really. There's a thing on the back of the bottle that says "312008" but there's no month listed ahead of the day. B-but that wouldn't make sense, either, since Europeans put the day before the month. HOLD UP. Wait a second...there's a smudge here, a sharpie mark covering up some white lettering next to the date. Did the store do this? Am I just being paranoid? WHY THE HELL DON'T EXPORTERS MORE CLEARLY DATE THEIR OWN BEERS?

Solid pour. Very dark gold with a respectable white head.

Smells strongly of Dortmunder malts. Dang--I was hoping for a pilsener. A little stale, maybe. Big fruit nodes, light caramel.

Tastes much more fresh, relatively speaking. The malt is sweet, zippy, and fruity like gum. The hops just are barely there. Whether they got burned off from age or they were never there is a matter for god to figure out.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

A better than average lager. It pours a clear, one-shade-more-orange-than-pale color, a smallish white head that hangs on for a bit. Most interesting is the aroma. I'm picking out some honey, malt, and a good bit of grassiness. My guess is that there is adjunct sweetner in the beer, or at least that is what the nose on this beer is leading me to believe.

The taste is mostly toasted malts, adjunct sweetner, some hoppiness on the backend that dries things out a bit. There is a definite crispness to the beer and a honey like taste in the mid section. More sweet malts come through as the beer settles. This is a slightly better than average lager, nothing more, nothing less. There is a modest degree of carbonation and the aftertaste is quite slight. A refreshing lager, but not in my top ten.

2.96/5  rDev -15.9%

The appearance is golden with an adequate cream-colored head. The smell is very suttle, a hint of malts & toasty. It tastes bitter with a hint of wheat. Not much aftertaste. Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, & just a little acidic. Drinkability is just average because although it is rather smooth, there's not much taste or smell.

2.06/5  rDev -41.5%

Deep golden color. White head, abundant, not bad.
At the smell maltiness. And green apple.
Malty taste, a bit too heavy, and not too fresh. Even if after the smell, it could have been worse.
Average to light body. Sweetish.
Not really much to say about it.
Avoidable.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Pours a nice golden color with a small head that disappears.

S - Actually one of the better things about the beer. Has a light malty aroma that dominates any slight hop aroma.

T - Has a slightly sweet taste. I think it could use a little more bittering hops but it is ok.

M - Has a light body with rather low carbonation.

D - This is an ok session beer with more flavor than US light lagers. Actually went well with a piece of cheesecake I ate while drinking this.

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

From a clear swing-topped 33 cl bottle: The color on this beer is a rich yellow-gold, with nice transparency. Disappointingly, the head is shallow and film-thin. Nice continental hop aroma, but very straightforward. There's a little grain, and faint faint smells in the back of the nose. The beer is soft, and a bit sweet. The sense of sweetness intensifies as the beer warms. The taste has a little fresh bread and yeast flavors as well. Medium body and relatively low carbonation. This is a nice, straightforward and satisfying beer. It's nothing extraordinary, but it's well made and enjoyable in and of itself.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy pale bronze color with a fluffy white, crusty two fingers showing really good retention. Aroma is generally spicy and bitter hops, honey sweetness and with caramel malt and nuttiness at a lesser degree. Very dry husky grain, yeasty sourness that fades midway through, a steady bitterness, and honey notes. Assertively dry and the flavor is gone almost before swallowed leaving nothing but some dry herbals in the finish. Thin watery mouthfeel with some crisp medium carbonation. Not overly exciting but good for the style and very quaffable.

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a pleasing gold colour with a thick, foamy white head that lasts a good way through the beer and leaves quite a bit of lacing. Malt is very noticeable in both smell and flavour, but has enough hops to cancel out the sweetness. Crisp and clean, but a little too much carbonation for me. Of all the Flensburgers, I've found this to be the best session beer as it's not too strongly flavoured like the pilsener and dunkel and slips down a little easier than the hef.

3.71/5  rDev +5.4%

A - 2" white head. Retains well at 1/2" and leaves some sketchy lacing.

S - Perfumey, sweet aroma. Not much hop presence.

T - Good biscuity, clay-like malt -- similar to their pils.Not as dry though, definitely some sweetness. No off flavors. Clean. Simple and tasty.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Good drinkability. I am liking this German brewery with the cool little bottles.

Flensburger Gold from Flensburger Brauerei GmbH Und Co. KG