Cranium - Triple Digit Brewing Co.

CraniumCranium

Triple Digit Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: seeswo on 11-11-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 44 | Reviews: 7
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

poured 12oz bottle into chalice.

A - Very dark murky brown with a 1 finger brown head. Fades quickly into a very thin ring and leaves behind small spotty lacing.

S - Notes of roasted coffee, espresso, vanilla and bourbon with some chocolate stout aroma.

T - Starts out with a big vanilla and bourbon flavor. Soft coffee, espresso, and caramel layered on top of a delicious dark chocolate stout. Very full of flavor and low on alcohol.

M - Nice carbonation with a think body and smooth finish. Quite decedent.

O - Outstanding coffee vanilla stout with the right amount of barrel notes.

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Big caramel, dark chocolate, coffee, and dark cherry aroma. Smells extremely decadent.

Flavor reveals underpinnings of that tart cherry character, with luscious cocoa notes, vanilla, toffee, and a touch of coffee at the finish. It's a tad hot from the alcohol, but would mellow nicely, over time.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle. Smell Vanilla, tobacco, bourbon,caramel. Taste brown sugar bourbon coffee. Very nice sipping beer. Strong and hits
you hard.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Black with a brown head.

Bourbon.

The knock's that I didn't taste the coffee. And whether or not I got the vanilla's hard as it's hard to pick apart from bourbon. As a bourbon barrel stout, there's nothing wrong here. Rich and fairly warm but not harsh.

Viscosity's just right.

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Stout? Strong ale? Brown Ale? The bottle doesn't say. Whatever it is, this is a big honkin' beer, proudly brewed close to my house, and aged in bourbon barrels with coffee and vanilla. Poured from a bottle into a Lost Abbey Teku. The pour is very dark (nearly black) and sports about a finger-and-a-half of brown head that hisses angrily at you as it dissipates. On the nose I smell bourbon. I smell vanilla. I smell oak. I smell Jungle Jim's Cuppa'lombian coffee. I smell toasted malt. I could keep digging, but do I really WANT to smell anything else?

Full body, oily feel, and wonderfully strong flavor. Lots of bourbon, toasted oak, a touch of almond, and thick bready malt, as well as the coffee and vanilla. Not getting much roastiness, so I'm wondering if this is really a stout or another one of their massive brown ales (like Chickow!). A little booziness on the finish, but nothing too serious to detract from the flavor. I really dig the coffee flavor in this. It's not bitter. Rather, it's one of those rich-tasting coffee beers, like KBS (I'm not comparing this to KBS, merely pointing out that the coffee components are both rich and delicious instead of bitter and acidic). If you ``chew'' on this a bit before swallowing, you can almost feel the coffee grounds in your mouth. A little bit of dark fruit creeps in on the finish which I don't much care for.

I tried a small sample of this at a recent bottle share, loved it, was sad to discover that I had missed the release, and was stunned by my good fortune in coming across some bottles at Jungle Jim's. Of the four I purchased, one was shared with the fellows at my local bottle shop (Party Town), one is earmarked for one of my trading partners, one is now in my belly, and the last one will sit for a while to see how it develops. I hope Triple Digit brews this again. Perhaps they can somehow work just a bit more roastiness into the flavor. It might help to mask some of the booziness and improve the flavor a bit when this stuff is consumed fresh.

Amazing Triple digit chickow and this R fantastic

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle poured into snifter.

Pours black as night with only the faintest sign of a dark khaki head. The aroma is filled with vanillia, oak, cocoanut, plums, fig, and espresso just to name a few. You really get a strong bourbon profile here. Right up front the taste kicks in with vanillia, both from the barrel and the extra added afterword. Dark fruits come out directly after, then at the back of the palate chocolate and hints of espresso lead toward a bittersweet finish.

The mouthfeel is extremely soft and rounded for such a big beer. You really don't get that this is 11.5% ABV until after a few minutes. This is a killer brew that has everything you would want in a barrel aged stout.

to view more.
Cranium from Triple Digit Brewing Co.