Csar - Tin Man Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Tin Man Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: bookerandy on 12-19-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Chaney:
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on-tap at the Gerst Haus just a little while ago. I split an 8oz. with my brother.

Even the bartender mentioned several times that "Tin Man" has improved significantly since their inception in the past year when I last tried their stuff. Glad they've entered a new era in their existence.

Served in an 8oz. glass.

A: Poured black as night with a head only about two shades lighter than the liquid below it.

S: Nice molasses and 90% cacao scent, pretty sweet, but still had that distinct RIS quality as opposed to a coffee or standard IS one, which was totally appropriate to my mind.

T: Infinitely bitter, but still pretty good. Best enjoyed in small quantities, but that's the brewer's intention anyway. Sorta like booze infused hot cocoa, but without the heat.

M: Again, bitter, bitter and then some, which was a bit of a problem, but it wasn't insurmountable. Nice sipper with a fair bit of lacing while still maintaining a fairly low sugar content.

O: A nice Tin Man entry. It's my understanding they have enough money to pretty much brew anything they want to. Happy to see them brew stuff of this quality now.

FYI: I tried their "Overlord Imperial IPA" earlier and it was a real wow!

12-24-2013 21:13:11 | More by Chaney

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

04-06-2014 14:17:23 | More by Shatrat
RickS95

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this on tap tonight when my wife and I stopped by for dinner. Tin Man's regular beers are run of the mill and don't interest me, but they have a higher gravity series that is pretty good.

The pour is pitch black and thickish. Resembles black maple syrup in its thickness. A nice shade of brown in the head above. Everything about this beer is dark.

It's a malty smell of cocoa, coffee, char and roasty stuff. Clearly a stout with it's almost bitter scent. It smells dark.

It's got a stouty taste. Was thinking maybe a bit of chocolate, but it wasn't there. Expresso coffee and some roasty bitterness. Alcohol is very prevalent.

Roasty feel and a bit grainy. It's a bit easier to drink cold because the heat from the alcohol is more tolerable, as it warms it brings the heat. Not smooth, but not that that's bad. Almost chewy. Full bodied. A bite from the alcohol but not so much the hops.

It's a really good beer which almost makes the food prices tolerable. Small brewery that can compete with the big boys with this imperial stout.

04-06-2014 00:14:41 | More by RickS95
BillRoth

Maryland

03-28-2014 18:33:08 | More by BillRoth
secondtooth

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pitch black in small 8oz. Tin Man goblet. Tan head, but limited lace.

Aroma rich and fruity mocha. Great appearance and solid nose.

Taste is heavy and oppressive. Mix of char, dark fruit, cocoa nibs, coffee. Warming finish with plenty of bitterness. Really a good, impressive Russian imperial, and comparable to Old Rasputin, which is to say that this is superlative. Non-craft friends who sampled this enjoyed it's complexity and smooth drinkability, as well.

High marks here, for sure.

03-16-2014 14:26:02 | More by secondtooth
NolantheBondFan

3.98/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at the Tin Man. I hadn't been there in a while, and I heard that they were getting better, so me and a friend went back to give them a shot. The first time around, we weren't impressed, but this time was way different.

Our waitress was obviously a beer drinker and recommended that, since we were talking about how much we enjoyed dark stouts, we try this imperial stout, and I was very impressed

Served in an 8oz. glass.

A: Very dark, almost completely black. A small head on it that was very dark brown.

S: Smelled like a Russian Imperial Stout. I'm not much of a smell guy, so thats not my forte, but it smelled good.

T: Bitter, but delicious. It was smooth and very very good. One of the best IRS that I have had (and Old Rasputin was my starter beer). Definitely enough for me to return. It's also very strong (around 12%) so the fact that it is served in small portions is appropriate.

M: Smooth and easy to swallow, but still quite bitter, which I like. It went very well with the soup that I had.

O: I am very happy to say that they have improved an amazing deal since they began. Their first months were full of bad beer and bad service, but this time around, the beer was solid and the service was fun, yet very attentive. I am definitely going back, since I live in Evansville.

Also, their Overlord is an amazing IPA and their new Milk and Coffee Porter is just as good as this, maybe better.

01-31-2014 21:26:51 | More by NolantheBondFan