Csar - Tin Man Brewing Company

Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: bookerandy on 12-19-2013

4.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured can into Spiegelau Stout Glass. This beer has an upfront bite of booze that quickly mellows. The aftertaste is dry and roasty with some bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is solid, this is a great example of RIS. I would love to have on nitro.

4.33/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first beer from these guys and I went right for the throat.

An over zealous pour gets me nearly 4 inches of thick foamy milk chocolate brown head. This head has excellent retention as it just doesn't want to go away. A consistent wall of swiss cheese lace is left behind. Body is pure standard

Nose is big and rich with tones of coco sweetness. There is a hint of black licorice and rustic, woodsy malts that play as well.

With first sip you get some metallic malts that are a little odd up front. It quickly settles down on subsequent sips developing a battle between dark fruits and dry, bitter dark chocolate. The licorice that appeared in the nose plays here again, especially towards the finish in the palate.

Mouthfeel is like eating good high coco content dark chocolate. This is a fine Imperial stout that I could see going into rotation in my fridge.

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have really enjoyed Tin Man beers in the past and thought that this 12% stout would be no different.

A - Pours dark brown and settles into a muddled black color. Mild tan colored head with light lacing.

S - Strong roasty aroma with chocolate and coffee secondary. Some alcohol secondary but not detracting.

T - Very similar to the smell; has the roastiness from the smell first. The secondary chocolate and coffee flavors are blended well with the roasted character. It is rich and full flavored with a strong bitterness that helps balance the punch. I feel like this a mixture of Brooklyn Black Chocolate and Founders Breakfast Stout.

M - Very full mouth-feel. Light carbonation. The flavors linger on the palate but it is such a rich flavor and high ABV that it makes you forget after a few sips. A little more carbonation would be helpful for the thickness but not too bad.

Overall, this is a very good imperial stout. This is a somewhat a middle of the road RIS just because it not as complex as some but it does have all the flavors that I love. Though it isn't as good as KBS I would recommend you try this at least once if you like big black stouts.

Glass- Imperial Nonic Pint

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this on draft and found it to be a completely different beer and a better beer, but I review this as I sit with a can.

Csar produces a strong balanced taste of char, roasted coffee, dry chocolate malt and molasses. I do catch tinges of chocolate, marshmallow and Graham cracker. The draft version had a nice addition of cinnamon that truly transformed this.

The feel is dry, thin for 12%, and adds a little alcohol heat. Overall this is well worth buying a 4 pack.

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

In the classic dominance of its namesake, Tin Man's Csar dictates its bold, roasty and decadent flavor from sip until finish with no reprieve in between.

Its ominously dark austere pours like tar with inky black legging and a stern whipped foam cap of mocha-stained creme. Billowing over the rim, its dar and earthy fragrance fills the room with dark-roast coffee, burnt sugars, dark chocolate, walnut and campfire. Its lavishly decadent malts glide over the tongue with black-strap molasses, heavy cream and a hearty seared-in sweetness.

Its sweetness holds firm over the middle palate while the roasted grain adds complexity and robustness in forms of espresso, baker's chocolate, roasting walnut, burnt marshmallow and smoldering ember. Its earthy bitterness is coffee-like and of burnt woods with an after tow of grilled dark fruit.

As the alcohol rounds out the flavors, rum-soaked black cherry and mild licorice accompany powerful spice and warmth with the full-bodied beer laying down succulent and savory maltiness even late in taste. Its continued roasty sweetness lingers long afterwards with hints of bourbon and rum.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pitch black in small 8oz. Tin Man goblet. Tan head, but limited lace.

Aroma rich and fruity mocha. Great appearance and solid nose.

Taste is heavy and oppressive. Mix of char, dark fruit, cocoa nibs, coffee. Warming finish with plenty of bitterness. Really a good, impressive Russian imperial, and comparable to Old Rasputin, which is to say that this is superlative. Non-craft friends who sampled this enjoyed it's complexity and smooth drinkability, as well.

High marks here, for sure.

4.07/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've had this straight from the can as well as from can to snifter

Pitch black with 1 full finger width of kaki head. Leaves nice lace as the head fades. Not much carbonation after the foam.

Smell is sweet molasses and chocolate with roasted malty coffee Playing a role in the background.

Taste is good, however, it's a bit too sweet compared to other beers in the style. Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts are the flavors with a huge punch of sweetness throughout.

Feel is also nice. Little boozyness for a strong beer at 12%. Can't have more than one though because the sweetness wrecks the palate.

I'll be trying more from tin man for sure

3.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at the Tin Man. I hadn't been there in a while, and I heard that they were getting better, so me and a friend went back to give them a shot. The first time around, we weren't impressed, but this time was way different.

Our waitress was obviously a beer drinker and recommended that, since we were talking about how much we enjoyed dark stouts, we try this imperial stout, and I was very impressed

Served in an 8oz. glass.

A: Very dark, almost completely black. A small head on it that was very dark brown.

S: Smelled like a Russian Imperial Stout. I'm not much of a smell guy, so thats not my forte, but it smelled good.

T: Bitter, but delicious. It was smooth and very very good. One of the best IRS that I have had (and Old Rasputin was my starter beer). Definitely enough for me to return. It's also very strong (around 12%) so the fact that it is served in small portions is appropriate.

M: Smooth and easy to swallow, but still quite bitter, which I like. It went very well with the soup that I had.

O: I am very happy to say that they have improved an amazing deal since they began. Their first months were full of bad beer and bad service, but this time around, the beer was solid and the service was fun, yet very attentive. I am definitely going back, since I live in Evansville.

Also, their Overlord is an amazing IPA and their new Milk and Coffee Porter is just as good as this, maybe better.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this on tap tonight when my wife and I stopped by for dinner. Tin Man's regular beers are run of the mill and don't interest me, but they have a higher gravity series that is pretty good.

The pour is pitch black and thickish. Resembles black maple syrup in its thickness. A nice shade of brown in the head above. Everything about this beer is dark.

It's a malty smell of cocoa, coffee, char and roasty stuff. Clearly a stout with it's almost bitter scent. It smells dark.

It's got a stouty taste. Was thinking maybe a bit of chocolate, but it wasn't there. Expresso coffee and some roasty bitterness. Alcohol is very prevalent.

Roasty feel and a bit grainy. It's a bit easier to drink cold because the heat from the alcohol is more tolerable, as it warms it brings the heat. Not smooth, but not that that's bad. Almost chewy. Full bodied. A bite from the alcohol but not so much the hops.

It's a really good beer which almost makes the food prices tolerable. Small brewery that can compete with the big boys with this imperial stout.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on-tap at the Gerst Haus just a little while ago. I split an 8oz. with my brother.

Even the bartender mentioned several times that "Tin Man" has improved significantly since their inception in the past year when I last tried their stuff. Glad they've entered a new era in their existence.

Served in an 8oz. glass.

A: Poured black as night with a head only about two shades lighter than the liquid below it.

S: Nice molasses and 90% cacao scent, pretty sweet, but still had that distinct RIS quality as opposed to a coffee or standard IS one, which was totally appropriate to my mind.

T: Infinitely bitter, but still pretty good. Best enjoyed in small quantities, but that's the brewer's intention anyway. Sorta like booze infused hot cocoa, but without the heat.

M: Again, bitter, bitter and then some, which was a bit of a problem, but it wasn't insurmountable. Nice sipper with a fair bit of lacing while still maintaining a fairly low sugar content.

O: A nice Tin Man entry. It's my understanding they have enough money to pretty much brew anything they want to. Happy to see them brew stuff of this quality now.

FYI: I tried their "Overlord Imperial IPA" earlier and it was a real wow!

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Light fruity and floral esters, booze, and deeply roasted malt are accented by dark chocolate to form the aroma.

Flavor reveals an initial boozy sweetness that fades to cocoa mid palate, ending in a dry, roasty, bitter, slightly fusel finish. The 12 percent is not hidden. Could use a lot more specialty malt to add depth and detract from the alcohol. I don't know what they're doing to their beers, but the majority seem to be harsh at the finish. Sparge too hot?

3.77/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was excited to try a local russian imperial stout. The first few sips were very bitter/almost hoppy. As the beer warmed up the taste was much better. Chocolate and coffee came through and it ended up being a decent imperial stout.

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Black body, beige head.

Hoppy, some roasted malt.

Damn near a black IPA. Burnt, not roasted and cocoa powder. I wish I had a taste for this but too rich for my blood.

On the syrupy side, could use some bubbles.

Csar from Tin Man Brewing Company