Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dry Cell - Tin Man Brewing Company

Irish Dry Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Chaney on 01-12-2013

Reviews by Chaney:
1.3/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I'm from Henderson, KY, so when I heard from friends and family members that a new brewery was coming into town, I was totally stoked!

Served in proper glassware.

A: Poured out a charcoal grey/black color, with a massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive off-white head. There was totally something wrong here..

S: Nothing, and I mean nothing. Worse than water in Mexico. To the brewer: Soggy grains and malts aren't appealing to anyone.

T: Only slightly better than the smell, but as thin as Richard Simmons at a Bikram yoga retreat. No roast, no char, no dark malt, no dark fruit, and no taste whatsoever. Seriously, this makes Guinness Draught taste like Dark Lord.

M: Like I said, this was fermented H2O with dark food coloring. Some lacing was left on the glass, but who the hell cares?

O: The worst craft beer of any style that I've tried in the past decade. Actually, Annheuser Busch's "Bare Knuckle Stout" is at least 10 times better than this. I prefer my homebrew Irish stout to this, by far. I don't even consider "Dry Cell" a beer. My wife, who likes everything, thought the same thing. (1,143 characters)

2/5  rDev n/a

2.5/5  rDev n/a
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.25/5  rDev n/a

3.67/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Sampled at Winterfest.

A: Nice rich black color with a lingering off white head.

S: Wish this had a bit more in the nose personally but still had subtle hints of what needed to be there with the roasted malt aroma kicking in on this one.

T: Lightly roasted flavor with a sweet maltiness on the finish.

M: Perfect body on this with a light-medium body but finishes just a bit on the sweeter side than the dry side.

O: This is almost there but still a good version of the Style. Just wish it was a bit more in your face with the profile in both aroma and taste. (565 characters)

4.75/5  rDev n/a

3.25/5  rDev n/a

2.25/5  rDev n/a

3.82/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I think the reviews are too harsh. It's not an imperial oatmeal double chocolate coffee stout. It's just an Irish Stout, like Guinness. Not a big beer. I think it fits the style well. Sometimes it foams up too much coming out of the tap. I think it's more a function of line temperature than gas pressure. (305 characters)

1.75/5  rDev n/a

3.16/5  rDev n/a

3.5/5  rDev n/a

2.25/5  rDev n/a

1.5/5  rDev n/a

1.12/5  rDev n/a

A: Nice black color and probably the only beer they served that day with any head at all

S: Nothing

T: No real stout characteristics. I could taste some malt, but it certainly didn't taste roasted. This at least lets me know that it is not just nitrogenated water. I am actually interested in learning how they got a nice dark color with absolutely no dark aroma or flavor.

M: Thin and watery (watery would actually be a pretty good descriptor for each of these categories)

O: Drinking this beer made me sad. I've never had a stout that was so... nothing. (559 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

1.3/5  rDev n/a
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

A: I don't think the nitro was tapped correctly because the whole beer was head. Once it settled the color was decent, but there was little head retention once the nitro settled.
S: It smelled okay, not too roasty. It also smelled a little meaty (yeasty) but it could have been from the bottom of a keg or something.
T: The taste was ... not very good. It has an okay roast, but little malt backbone. It was also flat so I struggled to get through it.
M: Probably fix the taps and it would be okay. I know it was nitro, but it was also flat as all get out which could attribute to why it was very watery.
O: I probably wouldn't have this one again. Maybe add some different malts to give it more body and definitely fix the taps. (729 characters)

Dry Cell from Tin Man Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.