Alloy - Tin Man Brewing Company

AlloyAlloy

Tin Man Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Chaney on 01-12-2013)
4.5/5  rDev +48%

4.06/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer has received exceptionally low reviews and I'm not sure why. Picked up a 4 pack this weekend and it's honestly a solid pale ale. has all the qualities I look for in a nice sessionable APA, crisp citrus on the nose, and a nice bitter aftertaste that doesn't linger too long. Certainly worth checking out

3.75/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Was just going to give it a number score (3.75), but having read reviews...thought I'd throw in my two bits.

First, despite a number of earlier reviews. and I know the can says IPA. I think this is a good American version of Pale Ale. So I'm looking for hops, but not that big. Much more about malt and hops balance. I'm also found a more Pale Ale smooth draft mouth feel for a good session beer.

Also, I had fresh on tap at Tin Man vs can. So it might be my expectations are different than others.

I liked it. Didn't change my world...but on tap, this is a really nice APA. I'd be happy to grab a pint anytime.

3.74/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pint can poured into Spiegelau glass.

A: 3.75 dark golden, 2 fingers of white foamy head that reduced over a minutes time.
S: 3.25 not a whole lot going on here. I get a lot more malt aroma than hops, and at a lower IBU for the style that doesn't surprise me.
T: 4.0 the malt takes lead, which is uncharacteristic for IPA, but the hops are not forgotten. There is quite a nice blend of flavors going on which makes this very drinkable.
M: 3.5 silky, smooth, carbed nicely
O: 3.75 I really enjoy this beer. While it doesn't exactly fit what I was expecting, given the way IPAs are going, Alloy is a solid beer. I am surprised to see it rank so low, but to each his own. For me to rank this higher, I would need more bitterness and a much stronger hop presence on the nose. I will be buying more of this beer, just wish it came in 6 pack and not 4s!

3.64/5  rDev +19.7%

Tried at Winterfest 2013

A: Nice light copper/pale color with nice white head.

S: This is a little light in the nose but still has some subtle hints of piney earthy aroma coming through. Needs to be a bit stronger here.

T: Nice malty start as it slides down the tongue to finish off with a piney/earthy bitterness on the back of the tongue. I did not pick up a whole lot of citrus notes in this one.

M: Light-Medium body on this with a bitter finish on the back of the tongue.

O: This is really close to a great beer. Hopefully some subtle tweaks are being made to this to enhance it all the way to great. I would drink this again.

Alloy from Tin Man Brewing Company