1890 I.P.A. - Freedom's Edge Brewing Co.

1890 I.P.A.
No picture uploaded.

Freedom's Edge Brewing Co. visit their website
Wyoming, United States

ur 1890 I.P.A. starts with a clear, golden amber color. The medium bodied ale gives huge floral and grapefruit aromas. The 1890 I.P.A. is well hopped with carefully selected varieties giving it big citrus-hop character without being crushingly bitter.

56 IBU / 6.7% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 03-08-2012)
Reviews by Bitterbill:
3.1/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This pours a cloudy(bottle conditioned/unfiltered) straw gold, 1 finger head of foam.

The smell is weak. I get a bit of lemon zest and a bit of grass.

The taste is of lemon zest, a weak malt backbone, a bitterish finish that isn't all that pleasing.

The first bottle I tried, I liked it more than the 2 I've had since. Bottle variation? Maybe. Or, I'm getting more used to the flavours presented in the beer and I'm realizing the beer isn't pleasing my palate as much as I thought it did.

For 7.0% abv it, despite my negative comments, is pretty easy drinking but I wouldn't spend another +$9 for a six pack.

Bitterbill, Feb 23, 2013

FINLANDski_1619, Nov 21, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Misajet90, Jan 15, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On draft at the brewery.

The beer is light golden with a mild haze and a small, wispy head. The aroma offers some assorted citrus hops, malt. Hop forward, though there is a prominent bready character throughout. Bitter finish. Middle of the road...

Huhzubendah, Jun 28, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Twal, Feb 25, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a very good ipa here, a little different from the rest, enjoyed on tap at the new fort collins taproom, which is gorgeous by the way. theyve got a quint vibe and a little four barrel system i think and its just a great place to have a few. this ipa is more golden than many, crystal clear and frothy white on the head. its freshness is evident. pineapple sort of nose to the hops, but these arent tropical fruit varietals, just well dry hopped or late kettle additions of more popular varietals. clean too, not a lot of extra grain density weighing it down. the flavor agrees. a supremely drinkable and barley medium bodied ipa that shows a lighter malt profile up front, but with some toast to it, like a pizza dough without the yeast coming through. the hops mix the best of the grassy summery family with the higher alpha resinous types. its not too huge, but its robust. i find this to be a real drinkable example of the style, finishing clean and having only moderate bitterness. a fun honey colored brew, one of the better beers at this groovy new location.

StonedTrippin, Apr 27, 2014

cosmic-ray, Jun 16, 2013
1890 I.P.A. from Freedom's Edge Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.