Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Reviews by BrownNut:
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Medium gold. White head that doesn't last long

S - a malty smell that initially comes very close to honey mixed with cotton candy. Later that changes to something less pungent that I can't put my finger on. Unidentified/vague hop notes.

T - Hoppy in an unusually dry way. That's its defining characteristic, which makes tasting other flavors somewhat difficult, but across from a bit of sweetness, some fruit I can't identify (like a hint of grapefruit), something mineral-y. Delicious. Fantastic balance, robust enough to satisfy the back of your throat yet fairly easy drinking.

Aftertaste - A little sweetness on the lips, a tickle of sweet honey/fruit in the back of the mouth that lingers. Flloral/nectar-y fumes on the exhale.

M - More viscous than water, slightly carbonate-y on the tongue. Starts dry and finishes dry, just into the earliest stage of hop abrasion.

O - Very enjoyable. The sweetness crossed with the dry bitterness and the abrasion and floral afternote makes for a distinct, memorable, and delicious beer.

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Finally got my hands on this while in PA for my cousin's wedding.

Poured from the bottle into my duval tulip. Has a nice dark amber body with a slight off white 2 finger head which left nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma - Lots of pine and citrus flavors coming through on the nose, some of the malt makes its presence shown.

Taste - Hops from the word go, this is a very complex brew. Lots of piney and citrus up front, and the hop bitterness combating the smooth sweet malt. Makes for a great combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium, alcohol notes are hidden well, but adds to the wonderful flavor of it. carbonation is great.

Overall - A very solid IPA at a nice ABV. What a great beer to have year around. I can't wait to pick up more of it.

Unmatched balance of malt supporting the hops. Great depth of flavors and aromatics which remain throughout length of taste and continuing with mouthful. Stands above all other APAs and never varies year after year.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

This is my go to beer; always have some on hand and it never disappoints. Full IPA flavor without declaring war on your taste buds. One of the first and still one of the best craft brews I've tastes!

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Had from 12 oz. bottle & more recently on draft -- IMO a 4.5/5 from the bottle and 5/5 from the keg. Outstanding beer -- definitely in my top 5.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

OK, I'm not much of a hophead. If anything, I lean towards the malt bombs. But Two Hearted IPA...damn! It is by FAR the most balanced & drinkable IPA I have had to date...& the best. it is also a bit dangerous because it hides its abv. REALLY well (got WAY too drunk off this the first time I had it). This is just a great beer though & I wish more brewerys would take a lesson from Bell's & make an IPA this balanced & smooth.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a great everyday IPA

Perfect balance

The way this beer maintains delicate flavors is crazy.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Pours a Medium orange/ amber with a 1 inch off-white head. Slight haze in the color with a few small bubbles rising to the top. Layer of foam remains.
S: Piney, deep floral notes. Perfumy with hints of wild berry.
T: Dank. A sharp hoppyness strikes your tongue right off the bat. Pungent earthiness. Hints of orange in the middle. The malts are overshadowed by the hops in my opinion. Slight aftertaste.
M: Medium feel. Hop oils stick around in your mouth a little longer than I would like.
O: A very good IPA. Generously hopped and full of flavor.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Such a classic American IPA, a personal go-to. Perfect balance of hops to malt, not too sweet, not too bitter.

Straight 4's on this one a very solid beer, pours a somehwat hazy orange color with a nice medium sticky head.The aroma is very very hoppy and citriusy and resiny,the taste is pretty biiter with a caramel sweet backbone the hops are the definent taste here very citrius fruit like.A pretty balanced IPA very well done.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

Comments:

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?
OldFrothingSlosh!

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Lots of big hops and juniper erupt in a pungent floral bouquet.

The taste is a bit ginny but lots fun and explosively hoppy for this sort of beer.

It’s incredibly sharp.

The color is a light orange and hazey with a nice white head.

I used to consider this a very drinkable beer but now if I have more than one in a sitting, I get all crazy like and start freaking out and then after about an hour I get really, really hung over. Therefore, the Two Hearted’s drinkability is shot with me.

On a more positive note, I find this beer quite as enjoyable in summer as I do in winter and vice versa.

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Living in Michigan, I have access to Two Hearted almost everywhere, all the time. Which is f'n great news, because it is an excellent brew. The color is a deep amber, with some copper when the light hits it. A solid white head forms and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass. Hops up front and hops in the back with a very solid citrus and grapefruit profile that goes hand-in-hand with the its floral essence - much expected from an American IPA. The great thing about Two Hearted is that it's incredibly simple, but it's done extremely well. It doesn't have some over-the-top, drawn out, unnecessarily complex flavor profile because it doesn't need one. The bitterness from the hops is balanced nicely with the huge citrus/grapefruit flavors and light undertones of malt. Bitterness lasts the entire time without becoming too overpowering. The beer smells as simple as it tastes - like a nice field of hops and grapefruits; very perfume-like and fragrant from the start to the finish. With a medium body and a perfect amount of carbonation, this mouth is very nice, making this beer easy to drink.

Two Hearted is an extremely simple, yet masterfully executed IPA which is readily available and always delicious. I love this shit, plain and simple, and if you like America IPAs, you're gonna love it, too. If you can't get this stuff, let me know and I will send it out. Everyone deserves to have this.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.