Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,333 | Hads: 13,230
Reviews by Chadpaq:
4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

I'm mystified that I've never reviewed this beer. This baby is my go-to brew, the six-pack I always reach for at my local grocery store when the only thing ahead of me for the next twelve hours is a good movie and a (relatively) solid night of sleep. But it's more than that. When I travel to some of my favorite local restaurants that really don't have awesome beer selections, this is always the best thing on the menu. That isn't to say that Two Hearted is some default that one decides on when no other craft beer is available. No, sir. This ain't your daddy's...um...Sammy Adams Boston Lager. This is a true-blue, purebred IPA, so if you haven't had it, you better be prepared for sheer happiness...hop bliss...hoppyness.

The beer pours out a sort of golden-orange, much like those moons that you'll only catch when you're out in the park doing god-knows-what with your latest lover...huh? Hey, there was that one time... Okay, there's no point for personal anecdotes in beer reviews. At any rate, the beer pours a golden-orange, and it's quite attractive if I do say so myself. The liquid, though quite permeable by light, does hinder said permeation, if only slightly, through a sort of miniscule graininess within the beer. Yeast, perhaps? We'll say "Yes" for the time being, unless anyone calls fault toward that. Moral of this slight nonsequitur: Dis beer luk dern nice!

The smell...ah, the smell. Initially, inhalation would leave me chomping at the bit. Pure hoppy bliss! Jesus, how trite. I wonder how many times that sentence has been used. I'm probably guilty for some 40% of all-time usage. Whatever. It's so true! People say cliches become just that because they are extremely, and sometimes dangerously, accurate. Anyway, this so-called "hoppy bliss" transcends into a sort of fruity medley that makes me think of pure Floridian citrus: Grapefruit. Orange. Some lemon? (It should be noted that my dad drinks this stuff with a lemon. I'm of the "No fruit in your beer" school. Obviously, I wasn't educated by my father.) Yummy. Hoppy. Fruity. Can I drink it already? (I actually took a sip quite some time ago; I'm just too verbose to mention it.)

This beer is one of the most familiar, and most comfortable, to ever grace my palate. All of the fruity notes remain, and I also get the SLIGHTEST bit of sweet, sweet malt at the end of each sip. The alcohol, fairly high at over seven percent, is completely hidden. This beer is the quintessential American IPA in all aspects, and I think it really takes the cake in the taste department. I'm so hesitant to give out perfect scores here, and don't think I ever have, because I simply have not consumed enough IPAs to TRULY know what perfection is. Put as far as I'm concerned, the 4.5 score here might as well be a five, and I could definitely see myself editing that bad boy in the near future.

"Mouthfeel" is always trivial to me. It's an IPA. All IPAs feel the same to me. I'm sure that's going to run a true beer connoisseur the wrong way, but I really mean it. Hoppy beers feel the same in my mouth. This one certainly doesn't commit any injustices between my pearly whites as it absorbs into my tastebuds, but it doesn't warrant anything above a "good" score; it didn't speak to me and say "Chad, I'd really like it if you bumped my Mouthfeel rating here." Therefore, that's why it received the score it did.

I'll throw another cliche in here: If I were stranded on a desert island, and could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, it would be this guy. This is the ONLY department that I'm comfortable awarding perfect scores to, and it definitely goes to Two Hearted. No beer is more drinkable than this. It can be sipped and appreciated; it can be consumed with a good meal, perhaps some grilled chicken or seared tuna; shit, it can be swigged from the bottle on a late-summer eve just as the sun is dipping below the surf on a South Carolina beach (Yes, personal, experience.) Most of all, I could drink this stuff all night...every night...and never, ever get tired of the taste. Mondays, give me Russian Imperials...Wednesday, I'll take a Belgian Strong, if you please...But Two Hearted? Give me that fucker any day of the week.

My favorite beer to-date. Don't know if my ratings reflect it...don't care. This stuff has, literally, gotten me arrested and gotten me laid. At its core, this is all that is great about beer. (Cliche? Fuck it.)

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be one of the greatest American IPAs ever created. Period. Midwest represent!

My beer poured a hazy amber color with a massive, pillow-like head. The beer left an amazing head and lacing all the way down the glass. What a beautiful sight.

The aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Smell wafted as soon as the cap was lifted off the bottle. Sort of a skunky grapefruit aroma... very funky and nice. I love it.

The taste was perfectly balanced, especially for the hophead. A little caramel, a little sugar sugar, and lots of hoppy ironfist punch to the palate thickness. I love it.

What a drinkable brew. You could go so far to call it slammable.

Without question, an American Classic. Nuff said.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

This is my go to beer; always have some on hand and it never disappoints. Full IPA flavor without declaring war on your taste buds. One of the first and still one of the best craft brews I've tastes!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Finally got my hands on this while in PA for my cousin's wedding.

Poured from the bottle into my duval tulip. Has a nice dark amber body with a slight off white 2 finger head which left nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma - Lots of pine and citrus flavors coming through on the nose, some of the malt makes its presence shown.

Taste - Hops from the word go, this is a very complex brew. Lots of piney and citrus up front, and the hop bitterness combating the smooth sweet malt. Makes for a great combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium, alcohol notes are hidden well, but adds to the wonderful flavor of it. carbonation is great.

Overall - A very solid IPA at a nice ABV. What a great beer to have year around. I can't wait to pick up more of it.

Unmatched balance of malt supporting the hops. Great depth of flavors and aromatics which remain throughout length of taste and continuing with mouthful. Stands above all other APAs and never varies year after year.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Tried and true 2 Hearted is a fairly unique offering from Bells in the presently saturated IPA market.

Wide distribution footprint, readily availible in the northeast, fairly priced and a high quality product.

Served 40F from the 16 ounce pounder can. Poured into 12 ounce snifter.

Really nice slightly hazy golden orange color. Lacing is perfect. Not too agressive, but hangs around for a while.

The nose is somewhat subdued when weighed against the taste. I get a very slight mosaic and caramel scent. If any dry hopping occurred here it was very minimal.

Also note that this ale was canned on August 11th and the local grocery store just got this shipment 3 days ago. Erie distribution does a horrible job getting ales fresh to the customer. This seems to have been laying in their warehouse for at least 3 months.

Taste is very solid. A little bit sugary for my liking but really well balanced. The malts and hops allign well and produce a unique formula. I get notes of pear, pine and orange zest from the hops. Pilsner and crystal notes from the malts.

For a 7% abv, I taste barely any alcohol. This being the fourth time I have tried Two Hearted in the past 4 years, this canned 4 month old version seems to be the best, and the freshest.

Great ale, but nearly impossible to find fresh. I would also note that 2 Hearted is very close in taste and quality to Ballast Point Sculpin, minus the inflated price tag.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Arena bar and grill in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Happy hour drafts $3 and that includes micros and imports! They gave me a 10oz pour in a goblet. Having just finished a souther tier Choklat(also $3), it took a few sips to clear that rich and flavorful beer out of my palette and when it did, boy was I excited. Hops, not as much as in Hopslam(my only other experience with Bell's)which was to be expected, hit the nose and the tongue in perfect balance. An incredibly drinkable and savorable IPA. I grabbed a six pack the next day and look forward to my next one. One other thing, the draft menu at the Arena had this listed as 5.3% ABV, it's actually 7%.

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally got to try this...in Puerto Rico of all places! Saw a sixer at a local grocery store in the Carolina area near the airport. A delicious IPA I wish was available in Texas.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Had from 12 oz. bottle & more recently on draft -- IMO a 4.5/5 from the bottle and 5/5 from the keg. Outstanding beer -- definitely in my top 5.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really enjoyed this beer. Very well balanced, nice hoppy bite but not overwhelming. Outstanding ipa, not the best though. Enjoyed having pounders cans too.

Appearance: Clear, dark copper.
Odor: Floral, malty, and bitter
Taste: Earthy with a floral, citrus hop kick and a nice back end sweetness Smooth, floral, earthy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Earthy with a floral, citrus hop kick. Nice, floral, earthy aftertaste.
Overall: Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale brings the a new spin to the IPA style. This IPA has all the usual suspects as far as flavor, but brings a special kick that is not found in other IPAs.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to live in the upper peninsula of Michigan a long time ago. I am an avid fisherman that would love to fish the St Mary's River most of the time. After a good night of catching my limit, I'd almost always love to stop at the local corner store and buy a sixer of this. The sixer wouldn't last less two days back then. And that was for a reason.
Always in a pint glass, never any other beer glass, this had the appearance of a ruddy bronzed earthy brown to orange color with a one finger level foamy white head. Strings of lacing slid down the glass enroute to the beer in a nonchalant way.
The smell takes in earthy to floral to spicy hops combining over a light basic caramel malt.
The taste wraps together the hops and the malts to be a purely blissful bittersweet flavor. Faint combination of flavors in the aftertaste and a charming wet finish.
The mouthfeel grasped a nice sessionably sweet stickiness to slide over my tongue yet still telling me "don't pound me treat me right, please sip." With that in mind, carbonation rides fairly light in this beer allowing the nuances of the aromas to come together wonderfully.
Overall, do you think I don't miss this beer? If I still lived in its distro, a sixer of this would always accommodate my fridge. Its the IPA that got me into IPA's and craft beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Copper/Gold appearance with a finger of head; ok lacing
S: Nice balance of hops and malt; some pine...a little fruit
T: Balanced hop/malt; little grapefruit flavor/bitterness in the aftertaste
F: Creamy feel with good carbonation, dry after taste
Overall: A good beer, I like it a lot; one of my favorite non-West coast IPAs. Nicely balanced.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

OK, I'm not much of a hophead. If anything, I lean towards the malt bombs. But Two Hearted IPA...damn! It is by FAR the most balanced & drinkable IPA I have had to date...& the best. it is also a bit dangerous because it hides its abv. REALLY well (got WAY too drunk off this the first time I had it). This is just a great beer though & I wish more brewerys would take a lesson from Bell's & make an IPA this balanced & smooth.

Once of the best. . Floral ,Hoppy, smooth with a nice finish. A nice 7% beer. It is definitely a world class beer.
You owe it to yourself to try it out. You will not be disappointed.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just a great everyday IPA

Perfect balance

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In my top 3 of IPAs, Pliny the Elder, Two Hearted then Odell IPA.

L - Copper pour with decent lacing
A - Nice balanced hoppy aroma
T - pine, nice hop hints of spice and orange, some malt
F - Balanced carbonation

Almost perfect

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Small head when first poured from bottle into English Imperial pint glass. Furthermore, dissipates quickly, leaving some nice lace on the sides. Appearance is a bit cloudy, dark orange in color. Mouth fell is good, nice body leading to smooth finish. Smell is lightly floral and not a bit overpowering or and does not creep back into the nasal passage. Taste is mild Pitney flavor with a honey buttery note to it.
Overall a great beer.

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer is one of the few examples I have had that is a perfect beer or example of a style. As for an American IPA, this brew has perfect balance of aroma's and flavor. Not too much of anything. If you are looking for a perfect representation and great tasting (not to mention a very nice mouthfeel) drink TWO HEARTED

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Deep golden with a hazy, unfiltered quality. Relatively thin, pale head, 1 finger on average.
S: Pine, citrus, slightly soapy.
T: Crisp bitterness, refreshing and fairly meaty for a beer of this style. Pineapple and hops most apparent, with some orange in the background. Alcohol not evident.
F: Medium-thick body, not like most IPAs.
O: Very solid every-day IPA. Not overwhelming, not insanely boozy, and with a nice balanced feel and taste.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (packaged 02Aug15) into a Spiegelau IPA glass.
LOOK: Pours with a finger and half worth of white foam that dissipates into a half finger's worth after 45 seconds. Honey orange in color. There is a large amount of both small and medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is high in quantity and both thick and think I'm various areas.
SMELL: There are mild aromas of buttered bread from the malts that meet with mild piney hop aromas, subtle aromas of gummy fruit snacks, and hints of alcohol.
TASTE: Initial taste is of strong piney hops that are immediately followed by mild buttered bread flavors. Subtle gummy fruit snack flavors enter next. Subtle bitter hop flavors enter lastly as all previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Medium-bodied and subtly carbonated. Goes down smooth and creamy. Finishes with a strong dryness.
NOTE: This lacked flavor complexity, but tasted great regardless.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.