Follow our progress ...

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,434 | Ratings: 13,757
Reviews by aajjens:
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be one of the greatest American IPAs ever created. Period. Midwest represent!

My beer poured a hazy amber color with a massive, pillow-like head. The beer left an amazing head and lacing all the way down the glass. What a beautiful sight.

The aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Smell wafted as soon as the cap was lifted off the bottle. Sort of a skunky grapefruit aroma... very funky and nice. I love it.

The taste was perfectly balanced, especially for the hophead. A little caramel, a little sugar sugar, and lots of hoppy ironfist punch to the palate thickness. I love it.

What a drinkable brew. You could go so far to call it slammable.

Without question, an American Classic. Nuff said.

Booya!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

This is my go to beer; always have some on hand and it never disappoints. Full IPA flavor without declaring war on your taste buds. One of the first and still one of the best craft brews I've tastes!

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

Comments:

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?
OldFrothingSlosh!

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Finally got my hands on this while in PA for my cousin's wedding.

Poured from the bottle into my duval tulip. Has a nice dark amber body with a slight off white 2 finger head which left nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma - Lots of pine and citrus flavors coming through on the nose, some of the malt makes its presence shown.

Taste - Hops from the word go, this is a very complex brew. Lots of piney and citrus up front, and the hop bitterness combating the smooth sweet malt. Makes for a great combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium, alcohol notes are hidden well, but adds to the wonderful flavor of it. carbonation is great.

Overall - A very solid IPA at a nice ABV. What a great beer to have year around. I can't wait to pick up more of it.

Unmatched balance of malt supporting the hops. Great depth of flavors and aromatics which remain throughout length of taste and continuing with mouthful. Stands above all other APAs and never varies year after year.

Once of the best. . Floral ,Hoppy, smooth with a nice finish. A nice 7% beer. It is definitely a world class beer.
You owe it to yourself to try it out. You will not be disappointed.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Excellent world class IPA. Very crisp and lemony citrus. Grapefruit Bitter sipping with fruity salt, and bitter aftertaste with high but effective complementary hops. Lots of initial and remaining foam. Light texture. Floral aroma. Had this five years later on tap at the brewpub and it is flavourful.

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just had out of the pint can and into a tulip glass. It's a beer I have often and have respect for because of it's consistency. This smells of citrus and an overall floral bouquet, some lavender is there which I find unique to two hearted ale. It tends to the floral side and less to the tropical fruit and resin of a west coast style IPA, but hints of these are in the nose, however. That being said the taste is refreshingly bitter with a pleasant presence of malt, not sweet but truly balanced. It is a remarkable beer for what it is year in and year out. I can taste a slight variation in the hop profile between batches, but the floral component is always there. It's a classic ale that I will always gravitate towards when I want something familiar and simply good. It's not a flavor bomb, but subtle and floral like the difference between a French Sancerre and California Sauvignon Blanc in wine terms. It's more subtle and nuanced for an IPA and that makes it worthy of being a classic, always welcome in my fridge.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle courtesy of Daalamar: Poured a light orangey color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention. Aroma of floral hops is quiet enticing with a great semi-sweet malt base. Taste of crisp and citrus hops are well mixed with a nice solid sweet malt based. Carbonation is lively and body is about average. Overall a really good example and enjoyable take on the style thought a bit overrated in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Tried and true 2 Hearted is a fairly unique offering from Bells in the presently saturated IPA market.

Wide distribution footprint, readily availible in the northeast, fairly priced and a high quality product.

Served 40F from the 16 ounce pounder can. Poured into 12 ounce snifter.

Really nice slightly hazy golden orange color. Lacing is perfect. Not too agressive, but hangs around for a while.

The nose is somewhat subdued when weighed against the taste. I get a very slight mosaic and caramel scent. If any dry hopping occurred here it was very minimal.

Also note that this ale was canned on August 11th and the local grocery store just got this shipment 3 days ago. Erie distribution does a horrible job getting ales fresh to the customer. This seems to have been laying in their warehouse for at least 3 months.

Taste is very solid. A little bit sugary for my liking but really well balanced. The malts and hops align well and produce a unique formula. I get notes of pear, pine and orange zest from the hops. Pilsner and crystal notes from the malts.

For a 7% abv, I taste barely any alcohol. This being the fourth time I have tried Two Hearted in the past 4 years, this canned 4 month old version seems to be the best, and the freshest.

Great ale, but nearly impossible to find fresh. I would also note that 2 Hearted is very close in taste and quality to Ballast Point Sculpin, minus the inflated price tag.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at RFD, Washington, DC

A: The beer is light pale amber in color with a thin layer of bubbles floating on the surface. A light level of carbonation is visible.
S: A light aroma of citrusy and piney hops along with some hints of caramel malts is present in the nose.
T: There is an excellent balance between the malt and hops, with lots of citrusy flavors similar to the smell.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate. There's a good amount of carbonation and the beer does not feel sticky.
D: The beer is very drinkable and not a trace of alcohol is noticeable in the smell or taste.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to find some Bell's in the South. I've heard of this beer and was eager to give it a try. It's an opaque amber-orange, with an small off white head that laces mildly. On the nose, I catch mango and pineapple, or perhaps some other tropical fruits, as well as a buttery, toasted malt character that's subtle, but balancing in it's effect. The taste follows. It's light and refreshing with some floral and tropical notes, followed by some residual piny-ness that ends in a dry, malty finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. A superbly balanced and flavorful IPA. Quite possibly the best I've had so far.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Arena bar and grill in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Happy hour drafts $3 and that includes micros and imports! They gave me a 10oz pour in a goblet. Having just finished a souther tier Choklat(also $3), it took a few sips to clear that rich and flavorful beer out of my palette and when it did, boy was I excited. Hops, not as much as in Hopslam(my only other experience with Bell's)which was to be expected, hit the nose and the tongue in perfect balance. An incredibly drinkable and savorable IPA. I grabbed a six pack the next day and look forward to my next one. One other thing, the draft menu at the Arena had this listed as 5.3% ABV, it's actually 7%.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good ipa! I had heard this was good and finally bought a four pack of pints. Drank from the can like an American. This a a very hoppy first taste but finishes very softly with at topical aftertaste. Really good ipa and I am glad it's readily available to me. I wish the alcohol % was a little higher but a very solid brew that I will be purchasing again.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

G: Poured into a Bell's pint glass.

A: A slightly pale orange/apricot color with a good mostly-white head.

S: Hops, hops, and hops. Lots of floral and citrus aromas.

T: Again, bright citrus and floral hops with a pretty good malt backbone.

M: Light-to-medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation.

D: A great night-long IPA. I was so sorely disappointed when this left Chicago, but I'm so glad to have it back.

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally got to try this...in Puerto Rico of all places! Saw a sixer at a local grocery store in the Carolina area near the airport. A delicious IPA I wish was available in Texas.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Had from 12 oz. bottle & more recently on draft -- IMO a 4.5/5 from the bottle and 5/5 from the keg. Outstanding beer -- definitely in my top 5.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really enjoyed this beer. Very well balanced, nice hoppy bite but not overwhelming. Outstanding ipa, not the best though. Enjoyed having pounders cans too.

Appearance: Clear, dark copper.
Odor: Floral, malty, and bitter
Taste: Earthy with a floral, citrus hop kick and a nice back end sweetness Smooth, floral, earthy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Earthy with a floral, citrus hop kick. Nice, floral, earthy aftertaste.
Overall: Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale brings the a new spin to the IPA style. This IPA has all the usual suspects as far as flavor, but brings a special kick that is not found in other IPAs.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I used to live in the upper peninsula of Michigan a long time ago. I am an avid fisherman that would love to fish the St Mary's River most of the time. After a good night of catching my limit, I'd almost always love to stop at the local corner store and buy a sixer of this. The sixer wouldn't last less two days back then. And that was for a reason.
Always in a pint glass, never any other beer glass, this had the appearance of a ruddy bronzed earthy brown to orange color with a one finger level foamy white head. Strings of lacing slid down the glass enroute to the beer in a nonchalant way.
The smell takes in earthy to floral to spicy hops combining over a light basic caramel malt.
The taste wraps together the hops and the malts to be a purely blissful bittersweet flavor. Faint combination of flavors in the aftertaste and a charming wet finish.
The mouthfeel grasped a nice sessionably sweet stickiness to slide over my tongue yet still telling me "don't pound me treat me right, please sip." With that in mind, carbonation rides fairly light in this beer allowing the nuances of the aromas to come together wonderfully.
Overall, do you think I don't miss this beer? If I still lived in its distro, a sixer of this would always accommodate my fridge. Its the IPA that got me into IPA's and craft beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Exactly what an IPA should be: well-balanced, complex flavors with strong hoppy overtones and hints of citrus and pine. A rewarding experience, and one of my few regulars. Definitely recommended.

Look: Orange Gold, white head
Smell: apricot, grapefuit, oranges
Taste: citrus, floral, caramel, perfectly balanced hops and malts
Feel: refreshing and perfect
Overall: best readily available IPA in existence

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.