Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Reviews by alex_hart:
alex_hart

Oklahoma

10-10-2013 13:51:49 | More by alex_hart
oberon

Straight 4's on this one a very solid beer, pours a somehwat hazy orange color with a nice medium sticky head.The aroma is very very hoppy and citriusy and resiny,the taste is pretty biiter with a caramel sweet backbone the hops are the definent taste here very citrius fruit like.A pretty balanced IPA very well done.

08-15-2003 16:21:57 | More by oberon
mojohawk21

08-28-2013 02:01:23 | More by mojohawk21
RoyalT

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

Comments:

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?
OldFrothingSlosh!

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

03-22-2004 03:01:44 | More by RoyalT
aszatk01

11-03-2012 00:26:42 | More by aszatk01
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Lots of big hops and juniper erupt in a pungent floral bouquet.

The taste is a bit ginny but lots fun and explosively hoppy for this sort of beer.

It’s incredibly sharp.

The color is a light orange and hazey with a nice white head.

I used to consider this a very drinkable beer but now if I have more than one in a sitting, I get all crazy like and start freaking out and then after about an hour I get really, really hung over. Therefore, the Two Hearted’s drinkability is shot with me.

On a more positive note, I find this beer quite as enjoyable in summer as I do in winter and vice versa.

09-21-2005 19:28:05 | More by DaPeculierDane

Smokesnotes

07-19-2014 00:40:29 | More by Smokesnotes
tectactoe

4.61/5  rDev +8%

Living in Michigan, I have access to Two Hearted almost everywhere, all the time. Which is f'n great news, because it is an excellent brew. The color is a deep amber, with some copper when the light hits it. A solid white head forms and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass. Hops up front and hops in the back with a very solid citrus and grapefruit profile that goes hand-in-hand with the its floral essence - much expected from an American IPA. The great thing about Two Hearted is that it's incredibly simple, but it's done extremely well. It doesn't have some over-the-top, drawn out, unnecessarily complex flavor profile because it doesn't need one. The bitterness from the hops is balanced nicely with the huge citrus/grapefruit flavors and light undertones of malt. Bitterness lasts the entire time without becoming too overpowering. The beer smells as simple as it tastes - like a nice field of hops and grapefruits; very perfume-like and fragrant from the start to the finish. With a medium body and a perfect amount of carbonation, this mouth is very nice, making this beer easy to drink.

Two Hearted is an extremely simple, yet masterfully executed IPA which is readily available and always delicious. I love this shit, plain and simple, and if you like America IPAs, you're gonna love it, too. If you can't get this stuff, let me know and I will send it out. Everyone deserves to have this.

09-25-2012 04:08:51 | More by tectactoe
DavyJones

04-10-2012 17:22:23 | More by DavyJones
TCHopCraver

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

02-26-2011 21:53:38 | More by TCHopCraver

jono0101

05-18-2013 15:56:58 | More by jono0101
brownbeer

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A- A thick white head that will eventually leave thick lacing all the way down the glass sits atop a truly pale ale.

S- Floral hop nose wafts out of the glass resembling rose petals. I've compared it to laying in a wonderful flower garden, eyes closed, just breathing.

T- Flavors of candied orange citrus, a quiet pine note, and a beautifuly bitter finish that never overwhelms.

M- Carbonated, but not overdone. Sooo smooth.

D- I can and have drank this for hours on end.

This has to be one of the best single IPAs on the planet. Holy and consistant.

09-10-2009 04:13:50 | More by brownbeer
PintPiner

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured out of a bottle at about 50 oF into a clear pint glass. Nice orange-honey color. 1" white head that doesn't go away, medium-thick lacing.

Big and wonderful aroma of pine & citrus -- lemon & grapefruit.

Lots of carbonation, slightly malty up front with a wonderful bitter hoppy finish.

I like this beer a lot, it's one of my favorite IPAs.

01-22-2006 04:10:51 | More by PintPiner
npala86

02-17-2014 16:45:32 | More by npala86
Tator320

07-25-2014 15:32:26 | More by Tator320
NathanBunn20

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Solid beer any time of year. A - gold in color. Good two finger head. S - smells of nature and evergreen trees. T - punch of hops, with a delicious kick of pine needles. M - smooth and light. O - a well crafted beer, classy anytime of year. Had this at Christmas time at a work party and it took care of business.

07-07-2014 00:03:40 | More by NathanBunn20
Schlais

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

04-13-2014 13:04:52 | More by Schlais
ArrogantDeadGuy

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Frothy head on top of a hazy orange body,
very rustic looking.

S: Great clean hop nose with hints of sweet hop
and alcohol.

T: Great hop bitterness paired with a sweet
balance of malts and alcohol. A bold citrus
flavor lingers but not in a undersireable way

M/D: Great carbonation with a sturdy body
neither syrupy nor thin. Fantastic with a
home made mozzarella and basil pizza.

An all around great beer. I drank this 1.23 gallon "party keg" of beer over five days and it never lost its carbonation. What a value when you can depend on the vessel to provide the proper carbonation. Great value!

11-29-2009 22:43:11 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
wesbrownyeah

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Appearance is a funky orange fluid with a heavy carbonated head of one inch that slowly falls leaving plenty of lacing.

Smell is fresh cut hops that are also followed by a malty goodness. Alittle oil scent as well.

Taste is off balance. I taste metals, sulfer, hops and malt.. in that order... wierd. Try again... this time left alittle foam on my upper lip but still has the same taste with lingering after taste.

M-D- When it comes down to mouthfeel and drinkability i love all ipas and will forever. But for this one it leaves me wandering what went wrong.
M- Not the smoothest beer and leaves mouth feeling dry and unsatisfied.
D- Will have again not sure when.

04-07-2009 18:56:09 | More by wesbrownyeah
weatherdog

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

Batch 9480

It pours with a nice two finger head protecting a crystal clear amber body. The head quickly disappears to a fine layer of bubbles provided by the bottom etching in the glass.

The aroma is huge in orange hops with just a little bit of grassy types. Not really any malt balance in the nose.

The taste has a medium citrus orange bitterness up front. It is fairly bright and fresh. The malt backbone is much more represented in the taste than the nose. It is very balanced which is what i like in a regular IPA.

This beer is probably the most easy drinking IPA or beer at an ABV of 7% I've encountered. The carbonation seems to be at a perfect level in order to take that bitterness away so the palette doesn't become fatigued after several. I could drink a 6-pack of this no problem and I see why they sell 5-liter mini-kegs.

02-04-2010 02:04:43 | More by weatherdog
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.