Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Reviews by vkv822:
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz bottle into tulip pint.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick frothy white head that leaves a web of lacing.

The hops are a very nice balance between pine and citrus notes in both the nose and taste. There are pleasant biscuit malts that come through in the finish of the taste.

It has a well carbonated, medium body.

A very well done IPA, and if it were distributed near me would no doubt be a staple in my fridge.

vkv822, May 04, 2011

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

everythingiszen, Sep 07, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Finally got my hands on this while in PA for my cousin's wedding.

Poured from the bottle into my duval tulip. Has a nice dark amber body with a slight off white 2 finger head which left nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma - Lots of pine and citrus flavors coming through on the nose, some of the malt makes its presence shown.

Taste - Hops from the word go, this is a very complex brew. Lots of piney and citrus up front, and the hop bitterness combating the smooth sweet malt. Makes for a great combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium, alcohol notes are hidden well, but adds to the wonderful flavor of it. carbonation is great.

Overall - A very solid IPA at a nice ABV. What a great beer to have year around. I can't wait to pick up more of it.

Genuine, Sep 07, 2014

Straight 4's on this one a very solid beer, pours a somehwat hazy orange color with a nice medium sticky head.The aroma is very very hoppy and citriusy and resiny,the taste is pretty biiter with a caramel sweet backbone the hops are the definent taste here very citrius fruit like.A pretty balanced IPA very well done.

oberon, Aug 15, 2003

mojohawk21, Aug 28, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

Comments:

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?
OldFrothingSlosh!

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

RoyalT, Mar 22, 2004

aszatk01, Nov 03, 2012

Bmm281, Aug 31, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Lots of big hops and juniper erupt in a pungent floral bouquet.

The taste is a bit ginny but lots fun and explosively hoppy for this sort of beer.

It’s incredibly sharp.

The color is a light orange and hazey with a nice white head.

I used to consider this a very drinkable beer but now if I have more than one in a sitting, I get all crazy like and start freaking out and then after about an hour I get really, really hung over. Therefore, the Two Hearted’s drinkability is shot with me.

On a more positive note, I find this beer quite as enjoyable in summer as I do in winter and vice versa.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 21, 2005

DanGeo, May 28, 2013

Turbo, Oct 14, 2013

Smokesnotes, Jul 19, 2014
4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Living in Michigan, I have access to Two Hearted almost everywhere, all the time. Which is f'n great news, because it is an excellent brew. The color is a deep amber, with some copper when the light hits it. A solid white head forms and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass. Hops up front and hops in the back with a very solid citrus and grapefruit profile that goes hand-in-hand with the its floral essence - much expected from an American IPA. The great thing about Two Hearted is that it's incredibly simple, but it's done extremely well. It doesn't have some over-the-top, drawn out, unnecessarily complex flavor profile because it doesn't need one. The bitterness from the hops is balanced nicely with the huge citrus/grapefruit flavors and light undertones of malt. Bitterness lasts the entire time without becoming too overpowering. The beer smells as simple as it tastes - like a nice field of hops and grapefruits; very perfume-like and fragrant from the start to the finish. With a medium body and a perfect amount of carbonation, this mouth is very nice, making this beer easy to drink.

Two Hearted is an extremely simple, yet masterfully executed IPA which is readily available and always delicious. I love this shit, plain and simple, and if you like America IPAs, you're gonna love it, too. If you can't get this stuff, let me know and I will send it out. Everyone deserves to have this.

tectactoe, Sep 25, 2012

DavyJones, Apr 10, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

TCHopCraver, Feb 26, 2011

OhioBobcat, Aug 21, 2013

MadScientist, Mar 27, 2013

Zakk, Jun 03, 2012

jono0101, May 18, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

A- A thick white head that will eventually leave thick lacing all the way down the glass sits atop a truly pale ale.

S- Floral hop nose wafts out of the glass resembling rose petals. I've compared it to laying in a wonderful flower garden, eyes closed, just breathing.

T- Flavors of candied orange citrus, a quiet pine note, and a beautifuly bitter finish that never overwhelms.

M- Carbonated, but not overdone. Sooo smooth.

D- I can and have drank this for hours on end.

This has to be one of the best single IPAs on the planet. Holy and consistant.

brownbeer, Sep 10, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured out of a bottle at about 50 oF into a clear pint glass. Nice orange-honey color. 1" white head that doesn't go away, medium-thick lacing.

Big and wonderful aroma of pine & citrus -- lemon & grapefruit.

Lots of carbonation, slightly malty up front with a wonderful bitter hoppy finish.

I like this beer a lot, it's one of my favorite IPAs.

PintPiner, Jan 22, 2006

npala86, Feb 17, 2014

Tator320, Jul 25, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Solid beer any time of year. A - gold in color. Good two finger head. S - smells of nature and evergreen trees. T - punch of hops, with a delicious kick of pine needles. M - smooth and light. O - a well crafted beer, classy anytime of year. Had this at Christmas time at a work party and it took care of business.

NathanBunn20, Jul 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Schlais, Apr 13, 2014
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.