2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,717 | Reviews: 2,963 | Show All Ratings:
proc

The setting...a local bar near my home. Its the Opening Day of the Major League Baseball season. I have been ultra stressed out at work and at home and am looking for a hour or two of quiet, reflective, solitude. I leave an off-site work assignment and head to the bar to catch some of the Opening Day games. I sit by myself and stare at the 5 large TV screens. The first Two-Hearted arrives. It is a picture of perfection. Slightly cloudy, with a beautiful, whipped cream head. It begs for a sip. The bitterness takes over and the hop dance does its thing on the tongue. My stress starts to slip away. A couple of hours and a few pints later, I am completely relaxed and have reached a place we rarely get to go to. I am chillin' bigtime. It has been the perfect session beer. I have yet to have a "beer moment" quite like this one.

The actual review from 2002: This is one incredible IPA. The nose is that of grapefruit with a deliciously bitter hop taste. Pours out to a golden color, all its own. Its almost pastel in color. The head is large and reminds me of whipped cream. The taste excels. Yes the hops are huge, but their is malt here too. Enought to keep the big boys (the hops) from being overwhelming and giving this beer its wonderful character. The hop taste lives on long after the beer has been swallowed. The hops grab you and nearly make you beg for another sip. Once you find your palate likes hops, beers like this will hook you and your journey to all that is hop goodness will be well on its way.

10-02-2002 10:15:03 | More by proc
MJR

Bottle

Warm, glowing, light peach with perfect clarity. Huge, puffy off-white head that fades here and there, leaving huge, cloud-like pillows of foam. Tons of sticky lace. Enormously aromatic nose with a huge blast of floral Centennial hops, with soft pink grapefruit, and hints of orange, peach, and mango. Underneath is a thin foundation of toasted malt and slightly chalky yeast. Flavor is an eruption of hop flavor and velvet hammer-like bitterness. Flowers, pink grapefruit, peaches, oranges, mangos…it’s all there in an incredibly soft and sticky delivery. The malt and yeast manage to stay afloat enough to provide a solid base for the hop explosion happening above. Medium in body, with a soft and round mouthfeel that only gets better with the yeast pour towards the bottom. Finishes dry, firm, and bitter, with a splash of citrus and black pepper. Through my many years of better beer, this is still my favorite expression of the IPA style, and one of only a few beers that I cannot drink only one of. My opening of a bottle of this guarantees a second and third. It’s worth noting that since the new brewery opened in Comstock, this beer’s flavor profile has been much cleaner, with much less sediment.

Absolutely untouchable American IPA. Just perfect.

12-28-2002 22:54:30 | More by MJR
frank4sail

Flower hop/orange rind beautiful fresh nose. Rose colored with lots of little bubbles and a thick sturdy 2 inch creamy pale head. Sticky white peaks settle to a rich sticky lace on the glass. I love the fragrant smell of this brew. Bitter hop citrus grapefruit taste with a sturdy pale malt backbone. Medium mouth thet coats the tongue and throat with a wonderful hop flower film. The bitterness mellows and leaves the back of the tongue dry. The front of the tongue is left with jellybean sweetness. WOW balenced even on both ends of your tongue. I love this brew... and I think it also loves me... This brew is so rounded it is the only IPA that I have tasted that has truly measured up to the Hopdevil. The citrus flavors evolve in your mouth into a "big daddy" of hop satisfaction.
Seek out this brew and destroy a few for me!

Cheers to inebrius .. I am in major debt to you for sending me this one!!!!!!!

Did I say WOW...

05-22-2003 13:12:28 | More by frank4sail
nogoodreason

Missouri

Well, I kept resisting the urge to do so, but damn... here it is. I have to give this beer the big 5. There's simply not anything wrong with it. It's the perfect American IPA. Untouchable.

It pours out clean and clear (if poured carefully) with an agressive and sticky bone head. Color is reminiscent of a sunset or the flesh of a peach. The lacing sticks all the way down.

Oh, the nose on this beer. Oh my golly. Oh my gollly. It's like home-made shortcake, glazed with citrusey pulp, vanilla and orchid petals. Hoppy to the extreme but showing a wonderful sweet malt base.

It's full, but not fat or bloated in the mouth. Perfectly carbonated, keeping it light, but not thin... just right.

When it hits your tounge, it's citrus bitter, rolling directly into sweet shortbread and vanilla malts. Plenty of fruit character shows, with some apricot and other fleshy stone fruits. The hop flavor doesn't back off though, it's there, and very strong, a lucious mix of citrus fruits, grapefruit, satsumas (mmmm) and the lovely spring like flavor of flower petals. All of this is rolled up into an ellegant dance of malt and hops... perfection. Seriously.

This is a beer to cherish and savor slowly. Every sip is an excuse to inhale the insanely wonderful aroma and to roll this heavenly ale around your tongue. I can't see how this beer could get better. Don't listen to the haters... they're just blinded by the light.

03-02-2005 20:13:06 | More by nogoodreason
amstelcat

I...love...this...beer.
Pours a beautiful bright amber into the glass with a good rack of foam and substantial subsequent lacing. To me, the aroma is one of mellow pine and sweet grapefruit. Taste is also of sweet grapefruit, bitter but sweet at the same time. I know this is a well hopped beer but you don't get that acrid bite that you get with some super hoppy beers. This one is very mellow, but with lot's of character.

At 6% abv, $8.99 a six, and with this flavor, you just have to love this beer as the ultimate session beer.

02-21-2006 14:22:11 | More by amstelcat
dfried

I am sorry about my rating, but I just had to. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. We are starting to see this on tap at more and more places in Minneapolis, and not just dank beer bars anymore, so I have been drinking more and more of it, and boy, it just keeps getting better. The way Guiness defines stout, and Sierra Nevada defines pale ale, I feel that two hearted ale defines IPA. It pours the same amber color of most PA's, with a slight head that has great retention and provides lacing to the last sip. The aroma is where you find out it is IPA, not a PA, with a complex, hoppy smell. The taste follows up on the smell, an array of hops from piney to fruity to citrusy, that all blend together, with the dry-apple flavor following shortly. This is at the top of my deserted island beers. Good for one or two, or great for the whole evening.

05-08-2006 17:56:07 | More by dfried
ultralarry2006

This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left a tan two finger head that gradually receded to a one finger head with excellent retention, staying all the way to the end, and left nice lacing all the way down. Color was a cloudy ( not hazy, but cloudy ) yellow-amber, less orange-copper than is typical for an IPA.

Smell - hops, hops, and hops. Pine, resin, grapefruit, lemons, floral. Small hint of bready, caramelly malt.

Taste - exactly like the smell. Pine, resin, wood, earth, citrus, grapefruit, lemons, counterbalanced with bread and caramel. Then lemony, citrusy, with tea-like and bready caramel finish and aftertaste of the same. Hops are aggressively dominant here, and malt barely hangs in there, but bravely so. This is deliciously bitter, done in AIPA mode.

Mouthfeel -full, smooth, a little chewy, some good hop oil slickness. Pleasantly drying, pleasantly bitter.

Drinkability - goes down easy and is delicious. Could down many of these in a session anytime, and in fact, will.

05-23-2006 20:00:11 | More by ultralarry2006
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

Served on tap from my draft system into a 16oz pub glass

Light copper,reddish hue,almost clear slight hazieness,very livey looking beer. A very dense,rocky looking head,Sticking to the sides of the glass,looking like chunks of cottage cheese,very retentative,equally as inviting.
The breathtaking aroma super clean,a intense grapefruit aroma,like having a fresh grapefruit ripped apart in frount of your face,also piney and caramelly sweet.
Tasted like a sugar coated grapefruit,crisp and clean,tangy.Carmelly and piney,a perfectly balanced taste. It was so hard to rate the taste,I didn't want to put the glass long enough to jot down the notes
A medium mouthfeel,the perfect cloyingness,a nice inviting prickley feeling on the palate. An unforgetable tongue swelling juicyness making me crave more,more,more.
The more you drink the more you want,the most drinkable IPA I've ever had.The standard of IPA's to me. The draft version of this one seems better than the bottled version. This beer will spend a lot of time on my draft system.
A must try IPA!

Try not to give out all 5"s,but I couldn't do it any other way!

11-08-2006 04:55:28 | More by jcdiflorio
slvrmon82

Delaware

A - A beautiful amber pale ale. Very rich almost red.

S - Hoppy with very sweet undertones.

T - OH MY GOD> It is amazing. It is one of the sweetest hoppiest beers i have ever had. This is amazing.

M - A little syrupy for a IPA but very nice.

D - Could drink it all day and have. Great summer ale.

One of my favorites of all time.

01-17-2008 00:22:08 | More by slvrmon82
Gehrig

Along with HopSlam, I had the rare foresight to pick up a sixer of Two Hearted Ale today, and this is equally remarkable. This makes me all the angrier that I cannot get Bell's in Illinois, with their stupid, corrupt distributor's dispute. What a disgrace, being deprived of beer this outstanding.

Two Hearted Ale has the presentation that HopSlam lacks (the ONLY thing it lacks)--two full fingers of sticky white head capping a fairly clear, light orange body--positively picturesque. The nose is ridiculously good--citrus abounds, as does delicious malt and a whiff of pine. It tastes at least as good as it smells--the citrus, malt, and pine comingle like old friends. The mouthfeel is quite good but, without as much of a hop residue as I would (selfishly) like, this tastes almost like a sturdy amber ale, which isn't an enormous problem by any means. My point is just that it loses a little of the standard IPA, well-hopped mouthfeel that I like and, after HopSlam, expected. Then again, how can I possibly expect something close to the mouthfeel of HopSlam? Clearly I'm splitting hairs.

This is one remarkable, smooth, flavorful beer. At $7.99 a sixer, this is highway robbery, yet another tremendous offering from Bell's.

02-21-2008 21:46:32 | More by Gehrig
OStrungT

This beer pours a clear golden yellow. It boasts a thick, fluffy, off white head with a slight yellow tint to it. It fades slowly, leaving a thick lacing.

This beer has a very pleasent floral hop aroma. I smell some citrusy hops as well. It smells slightly grassy.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Floral, with some citrusy zest. It has a very subtle sweet caramel flavor as well.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down very smooth, leaving a floral aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. The flavor is great, and not aggressive, and it is not too high in alcohol.

Overall: Thanks to Markgugs for generously hooking me up. The last time I had this beer, it was the first IPA that I enjoyed. I can see how it would have started me down the hop road. I love hops now. I rated this beer lower than I know it deserves because of my inexperience. Now I simply love it. My last review will not be deleted though since it was a valid review when I had a different taste.

Serving type: growler

03-06-2008 03:14:38 | More by OStrungT
StrangeBrew1

Kentucky

I bought this in a mini-party keg and boy was it good. I went out and bought 2 more after that.The smell is of apricot and citrusy flavors. Probably made with cascade hops and a strong hop flavor. Perfect for hop heads like me. I love the packaging too,I think bell's should make this their flagship beer and change their other ones to follow the lead.If you like this beer a close second is Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA

03-06-2008 18:00:39 | More by StrangeBrew1
buckobrock

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 16 oz. pint glass

Bottled on ?

Consumed on 8 March 2008

A - Pours a brilliant golden color with a hint of orange. A thick, white, soapy head forms and peaks just at the top of the pint glass. A marvelous pour indeed. Three sips later, a thick lacing has formed on the sides of the glass reminding me of the foam sticking on the sand at the beach.

S - Grapefruit is the very first thing to hit my nostrils. Strong hops in this brew for sure; just what I expect in an IPA. Digging a little deeper, I sense some piney notes and barely catching my attention is a slight bready smell.

T - Hopheads beware, you may leave your significant other for this one. A very crisp beer with Cascade hops seemingly sliding down my tongue. As I swallow a nice bitter taste remains on the back of my tongue. A very enjoyable sip.

M - Light on the tongue, yet the flavor seems complex. As I swish it around my mouth, it seems that every particle on my tongue is being pleasured. Piney is the word that I think describes the mouthfeel best. There's also a slight bready taste which I think helps to balance the bitterness of the hops.

D - A very drinkable beer no doubt. An afternoon with a 6-pack of Two Hearted and a nice big pizza could be heavenly. It's a good thing that they sell this by the case!

To date, this is the best representation of an American IPA that I've tasted.

03-08-2008 21:49:57 | More by buckobrock
woodychandler

A mini-keg counts as "on-tap", does it not? If not, this will either get removed or moved to a more appropriate type.

The pour produced a big, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. The nose had a great hoppy presence. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The mouthfeel was medium with a definite hop bite on the palate. The finish lingered with hops. There was great lacing produced throughout. This is unquestionably one of my favorite American IPAs of all time.

06-02-2008 21:56:29 | More by woodychandler
hwwty4

Missouri

This is my go to beer when I don't know what I want. Every time I pop a new one it reminds me of what beer can be. Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a hazy, raw honey orange with a billowing 2 finger head that left sticky lacing down the chalice. The aroma is a explosion of citrus. Grapefruit is predominant with bits of orange and lemon. Also sweet grassy notes come through on the finish. The taste is what hops done correctly taste like. Grapefruit and lemon balance with just a bit of spicy/grassy notes. All the hops are balanced extremely well with a malty sweetness that comes out on the finish. The mouthfeel is full and leaves a wonderful coating of hoppy bitterness all around your mouth. This beer isn't a hop monster, its well balanced and goes down smoothly. The only knock is it comes in a little high on the alcohol content to be a session beer. Thanks Bell's Brewery for making one of the Worlds best beers.

06-05-2008 18:16:20 | More by hwwty4
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

Wow. A massive, dense white head exploding with hop aroma fizzes away as my entire body salivates in anticipation. I can't wait and rush in before the head settles.

Unbelievable hop flavor/aroma and perfect bitterness to back it up. Hazy super dark golden color and big patchy lacing mesmerize me as I hold my pint up to the window. A couple more savory sips and it's gone already. The hoppiness overpowers the malt but who cares it is so incredibly full of yummy citrusy/floral/zesty hop flavor.

A knockout bombshell of a 5 Star beer drinking experience that leaves you in pure bliss, can't wait to get some more.

07-29-2008 15:20:25 | More by Chugmonkey
usmittymc

Mississippi

Picked this up at a little beer/ liqour store in Perdido Key, FL.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep amber/ orange color with a chunky white head that would probably linger for days on end.

S: Floral, fruity hops. A little grainy malt is present as well.

T: Wow. This is the most balanced IPA that I have tried. The fruity, juicy hop taste can immediately tackle any thirst and it is supported well by a blanced malt back. I would argue, perfectly balanced.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, not slick, not chewy. Perfect, I would say.

D: I really wish that I didn't have to travel to get this beer. It has easily become one of my top five favorites. There is nothing cloying about this one. It is perfection in a bottle. The 7% ABV makes it a little less sessionable, but it was quite nice kicking back 6 of these while sitting on the balcony of the condo each night.

08-04-2008 20:14:10 | More by usmittymc
BigJim5021

Indiana

This is my be-all, end-all brew; my go-to beer in times of indecision. To put it bluntly, this is my favorite beer on the planet. I've felt this way for years, and my opinion is unlikely to change any time soon. On to the review!

It pours a lovely, hazy copper with a pearl-white head. The lacing is very much abundant.

The aroma is huge citrusy, flowery hops. Hops dominate the smell to the nth degree.

The flavor matches the smell. This stuff is ridiculously hoppy. We're talking massively Godzilla-sized hoppy. It's unbalanced, and I fucking love it for that. The thing is, it's so damned crisp and so damned refreshing that I don't care that the malt footprint is so tiny. There's enough malt in there to leave some smoothness, but I want this to be the treehouse for the hops kids. They can put up their "No Malts Allowed" sign. I'm down for one dash of malts in my hop-tastic beer.

The mouthfeel is creamy and medium-bodied. Heavenly, if you will.

I could drink a case of this every day for the rest of my life. Granted, at a deceptive 7% abv, my liver would begin to look like Hans Moleman (look, we've worked two Simpsons references into one review) and I would be smashed off my ass for all of time, but it would be worth it.

To the folks at Bell's Brewery, consider this my love note; my heart poured onto e-paper in ode to your beautiful, perfect libation. I am forever in your debt.

- Hugs n' kisses,
Jim.

10-12-2008 07:06:26 | More by BigJim5021
scout662

Maryland

This is the beer that made me love beer. The hoppy aroma draws you into this beer and adds to the slightly bitter taste. This beer is slightly less bitter than most other IPAs and is a great add on to any beer drinkers list. This beer comes strongly recomended.

07-09-2009 15:49:00 | More by scout662
BenJames1984

Two Hearted was one of my first IPAs and has been a favorite ever since. Its funny how I havent reviewed it until now.

On tap, at Crunchys Bar in East Lansing, as I type this.

A- Ruby-hazed amber color, with a thin white head which leaves a nice lacing.

S- A nice, hoppy sting on the nose, accented with a pine aroma.

T- Once again, I'm tasting hops and pine, with a splash of citrus...subtle touch of malts in the mist.

Mouthfeel- Goes right down, with no hesitation. Light-medium bodied. My favorite aspect of this beer.

Drinkability- I could easily drink a six pack in an evening. Amazing stuff.

10-02-2009 16:54:15 | More by BenJames1984
twoheartedheel

This beer is the reason I love beer. It's my gold standard which I compare all other hoppy beers to.

The most perfect combination of hops I have yet to come across. beautiful balance of floral and citrus notes. beautiful amber/apricot pour. smooth and perfect finish.

I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Those Bells boys in Kalamazoo know what they're doing. I've only been disappointed with 1 or 2 out of the 10-15 beers of theirs that I've tried.

02-15-2010 19:18:55 | More by twoheartedheel
soco7tyx7

This bottle has been hanging around for a bit but I decided that I didn't want the great flavor to spoil so I'm drinking it now!

A - Golden copper with a thick frothy soapy head. Thin head remains throughout with some thick heady lacing that hangs around till the finish

S - Awesome! sweet pinous resin with sweet caramelized sugary malts. Some citrus notes

T - Piney resin up front with some solid sweet malty backbone and a hint of citrus in the body. Finishes with a mildly bitter resin flavor that hangs around on the back of the tongue...sooo tasty!

M - Smooth, medium body, wet but a little sticky at the same time. Feels thick towards the finish

D - What an amazing IPA! This has got to be my favorite. It is so well balanced and has everything I would want in an IPA. For the ABV it is super drinkable and so enjoyable to drink. If I could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life this might just be it!

03-08-2010 20:17:04 | More by soco7tyx7
33nickadams

A- I like how the head sticks to the glass as you drink it.

S- Almost IPA perfection

T- Once again, almost IPA perfection

M- Excellent

D- Very drinkable!

IMO, all other IPA's should be compared to 2 hearted! This is my favorite all time beer!!!

04-25-2010 02:26:25 | More by 33nickadams
Hoppensniffer

Wisconsin

This was my first really great "hoppy" beer, and I love it above all others. This beer has the best first taste of hops that I have ever tasted. Unlike other hoppy beers, this hoppy taste does not sour, or linger too much with time, it just gives you a great crisp taste, and then you are ready for another mouthful. This beer inspired me to coin my handle "Hoppensniffer", and I love it.

06-22-2010 21:30:01 | More by Hoppensniffer
jmich24

Duvel Tulip
7 days aged

A: Gold in color with an orange hue. Fluffy two finger white head that never completely dissipates. Lots of carbonation from etched glass. Lacing is sticking very well.
S: Hops! Lots of floral, sweet orange, some tropical fruits.
T: Nice crisp bitterness yet well balanced. Taste is similar to smell, citrus(orange and grapefruit), floral. Nice lingering bitterness. Sweetness from the malt.
M: Medium mouth feel not to heavy not to light. Crisp and smooth, dangerously drinkable
O: World class IPA.

This is a mainstay in my fridge. I usually buy by the case outstanding easy drinking IPA. I'm a sucker for lots of citrus in my IPAs and the Centennial Hops do the trick.

Outstanding!!!

07-28-2010 21:31:18 | More by jmich24
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.