Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,276 | Hads: 12,963

This is my go to beer. One of my top 3 beers. Pours a radiant gold color that has a slight haze. Aroma I'd complex and enticing, a blend of sweetness, maltiness, fruitiness, and hoppiness, none of them overwhelming yet somehow each being strong and distinct. Taste does not disappoint, it is amazingly smooth throughout, making it hard to not down a whole glass quickly. Thick feel on the pallet. Hint of citrus tickles the tongue while the malt opens and promotes Itself. Good down smooth, leaving a mild hint of hops. Always makes you want more. (547 characters)

I know that all 5s should be rare. This is a great beer.
Pours a hazy, burnt orange and is capped by a big frothy white head. There was nice lacing in my glass. Citrus aromas explode from the glass and are underlined by tropical fruit and a slight sweetness. Some pine as well as some grapefruit, pineapple, and orange flavors meet a nice malt feel. Medium body and medium-light in carbonation, Two Hearted Ale is well balanced. (428 characters)

Bell's Two-Hearted ale is the best tasting, most complex IPA I have had. It is a little high on carbs, but wow... the flavor is unforgettable.

appearance --> sticky, memorable lacing that will impress
smell --> the BEST fragrance of ANY IPA I have tried
taste --> hard to describe... complex yet hoppy... a true Bell's accomplishment
mouthfeel --> It feels so good, you delay the swallow, but you must.
Overall --> I think this is the best IPA available in the USA. Try it!
Appearance --> if you like clear, clean beer with lacing that sticks to the glass all the way down, then you just might like this one.

Edit --> 8-1-2012

This beer changed my life. No, I am not from Michigan. I am from Alabama.

ALL THESE following BEERS ARE GOOD, but prior to trying Two-Hearted, I did not know beer could be so awesome. I have tried Terrapin's "hopsecutioner" from Georgia. It hits the hops button, but a little too bitter and uninteresting. I tried Stone's "ruination". It stomps out the hops big time, and has that distinctive American Imperial IPA taste, but lacks the complexity I seek. Then I tried Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo". Torpedo is very good, but it seems heavy on the stomach. The "Sweetwater IPA", also from Georgia, is a good IPA, but it is not in the same league as Two-Hearted Ale. "MoJo IPA" is what I buy when the store is out of Two-Hearted.

Two-Hearted Ale has the rare balance of complexity and hops that will deliver that IPA taste we seek.

I have noticed four types of beer drinkers:

1. The BMC Dudes--> They drink Bud, Coors, or Miller Light because they have never tried a good IPA. They do not really enjoy the BMC, but that is all they know. I know this because I was once one of them.

2. Sweet Beers --> Sweet beer drinkers like Porters and thick, syrupy beers that really weigh in on the malty side of beer and they go to sleep after drinking a couple of them. Since they went to sleep after two porters, they think that was good?

3. Sour beers (argh!) --> There are beers from Belgium that are actually SOUR like old wine. Some people actually like this taste, but it makes me want to hurl.

4. Finally, the wonderful, bitter, HOPS laden IPAs --> The American IPAs take first prize. We are so lucky to have access to so many VERY GOOD American IPAs. Belgium can have their sour beer, and England can have their "brown Ale" that looks like toilet water. In The USA, we have the best.

...But I digress.

I have discovered I like beers that are:

* not too heavy on the malt
* hoppy
* complex
* feels good in my mouth
* fragrant, in a hops kind of way
* Not boring

Two-Hearted Ale meets these requirements.

Bravo-Zulu Bells! (2,696 characters)

My everything beer from the office to sports. Very refreshing, and it always brings me back to fishing for steelhead on the Ausable River in MI where I first tasted it.

Citrus flavor coupled with a perfect amount of hops. Not bitter, and finishes smooth and dry. An excellent choice when thirsty, and the alcohol content is enough to get the job done. Initial smell let's one know that they are in for a treat if they like hops.

Tough to beat this IPA, period. I just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to PA to get it. (522 characters)

The beer was poured into a snifter. It came out amber with about 2 1/2 fingers of white head. The scent was very floral and fruity. The taste was extreme citrus with just the right amount of hops on the back end. The mouth feel is very smooth. I love this beer and try to pick it up anywhere that I see it available. (316 characters)

The reigning champ of IPAs brewed east of the Mississippi, Two Hearted never disappoints. Looks and smells as good as it tastes; full-bodied IPA but never too bitter. Interesting floral and citrus notes, but not gimmicky. Pretty much perfect for the style. (259 characters)

L: Somewhat cloudy brass body, two-finger bone-white head. good retention.

S: Beauuuutiful. Perfumey floral and citrus hop notes. You can smell it at arm's length. Just gorgeous.

T: Perfect level of sweetness with just enough bitterness to balance it. The finish is plenty dry, but with just enough flavor remaining to invite you back in.

M: Amazingly smooth. The carbonation is present and effective, but unobtrusive.

O: This has got to be one of the best American IPAs out there today. A helluva quencher with lots of flavor. Try it with spicy foods. (556 characters)

Really my go-to beer, whether its cheap or not.

Beautiful one inch head that retains. Light golden body.

Smells of a sweet balance between a nice citric hop and honey malt. God I love Bell's malt bill. Cascade hops are everywhere.

Balance is really the key here. Those citric hops are there, but theyre kept in check by a slick, honey malt bill. The difference is that the citric hops are just another flavor in the plethora of flavors.

Sits very light with a medium body.

Fantastic. As usual. (499 characters)

Bell's Two Hearted has 'It'. Period. You can wax on and on about the citrus this and that & the hoppy whatever... But when it comes down to it, you're never going to find a less boring beer. Ever.

You could find a hundred reasons to enjoy it every time you take a sip, drink it every day for a year and still not be satisfied, and spend the rest of your life trying to find something that will match it.

It is the beer that will remind you why you love beer in a way that you didn't even know was possible. It is the beer that will change the way you think about all of the beers you've had prior and the beer that will affect how you judge all of the beers you have afterwards. And, it is the beer that you would pick if given the metaphorical, "if you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one..." (817 characters)

This IPA may be the best. Orangle colored, low to no foam head, hoppy, citrus finish, that's so enjoyable then a sixer or two wouldn't be an issue to drink in one sitting.

Whenever I go searcing for this brew it's typically sold off of all the shelves. I would like to see Bell's at some more Beer Festivals so they can get the word out on the great taste and flavor of this exceptional Michigan brew (401 characters)

Things I like...

LL Bean boots.
Canoeing a wilderness river.
Reading Thoreau.
Frontline on PBS.
A wood stove in the winter.
Flyfishing in Autumn.
A long roadtrip driving to Alaska.
Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

I've tried quite a few beers, and this beer deserves it's own category, it's almost beyond what you can call beer. (321 characters)

This was my first really great "hoppy" beer, and I love it above all others. This beer has the best first taste of hops that I have ever tasted. Unlike other hoppy beers, this hoppy taste does not sour, or linger too much with time, it just gives you a great crisp taste, and then you are ready for another mouthful. This beer inspired me to coin my handle "Hoppensniffer", and I love it. (388 characters)

A- I like how the head sticks to the glass as you drink it.

S- Almost IPA perfection

T- Once again, almost IPA perfection

M- Excellent

D- Very drinkable!

IMO, all other IPA's should be compared to 2 hearted! This is my favorite all time beer!!! (249 characters)

Best beer by Bells for sure. One of my favorite in the world. Anyone who drinks IPAs and has not had this- I feel sorry for you. Get it and drink it. I would love to try this wet hopped as well maybe they would do this once- would make it even better.

Thank you for creating this gold standard! (295 characters)

pours a deep orange color with a decent hop haze.

Smell is very floral, Citrus and pine are all over the place, a bready malt in there to.

Taste is orange, lemon, pine, sweet malt and a bit of bittering grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is medium as is carbonation.

Well this is one of those beers that I have had so many times that there is always at least a 6 in the fridge.

If you want a beer that showcases hop flavor over hop bitterness then go out and get this. One of the better IPAs out there that is for sure

Edit... I am not going re review as it is as perfect as ever, I am just changing my score to a perfect 5.... Every time I drink this I am just amazed at how perfect it is, so why do I not have it rated that way???? (726 characters)

This beer is the reason I love beer. It's my gold standard which I compare all other hoppy beers to.

The most perfect combination of hops I have yet to come across. beautiful balance of floral and citrus notes. beautiful amber/apricot pour. smooth and perfect finish.

I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Those Bells boys in Kalamazoo know what they're doing. I've only been disappointed with 1 or 2 out of the 10-15 beers of theirs that I've tried. (454 characters)

Duvel Tulip
7 days aged

A: Gold in color with an orange hue. Fluffy two finger white head that never completely dissipates. Lots of carbonation from etched glass. Lacing is sticking very well.
S: Hops! Lots of floral, sweet orange, some tropical fruits.
T: Nice crisp bitterness yet well balanced. Taste is similar to smell, citrus(orange and grapefruit), floral. Nice lingering bitterness. Sweetness from the malt.
M: Medium mouth feel not to heavy not to light. Crisp and smooth, dangerously drinkable
O: World class IPA.

This is a mainstay in my fridge. I usually buy by the case outstanding easy drinking IPA. I'm a sucker for lots of citrus in my IPAs and the Centennial Hops do the trick.

Outstanding!!! (713 characters)

Amazing smells of grapefruit and piney aromas mixing in with a caramel sweet bready malt.
Slight citrus, blasting with a great grapefruit taste and ending with a piney flavor mixing in so well with the cake and caramel bready malts. It ends with the herbal bitterness that is very crisp and refreshing.

I never thought I'd get this beer but since my family went on vacation in Asheville, North Carolina I was able to try this beer out and wow its definitely worth all the hype. Its like Stone IPA but with a better richer malt bill and the hops mixing in with it to create that deep rich taste.

The pink grapefruit, the herbal piney flavors, the slight citrus all from the centennial hop? Very well brewed beer especially with how amazing the malt bill is with this hop strain. This IPA is one my favorites and I wish I could get this in NJ. (845 characters)

This bottle has been hanging around for a bit but I decided that I didn't want the great flavor to spoil so I'm drinking it now!

A - Golden copper with a thick frothy soapy head. Thin head remains throughout with some thick heady lacing that hangs around till the finish

S - Awesome! sweet pinous resin with sweet caramelized sugary malts. Some citrus notes

T - Piney resin up front with some solid sweet malty backbone and a hint of citrus in the body. Finishes with a mildly bitter resin flavor that hangs around on the back of the tongue...sooo tasty!

M - Smooth, medium body, wet but a little sticky at the same time. Feels thick towards the finish

D - What an amazing IPA! This has got to be my favorite. It is so well balanced and has everything I would want in an IPA. For the ABV it is super drinkable and so enjoyable to drink. If I could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life this might just be it! (918 characters)

My gateway drug to the wonderful world of IPA and Double IPA. I really can't say anything on here that hasn't been said before except, I honestly believe if I was restricted to one beer for the rest of my life, I could make it on this one. (239 characters)

This is the beer that made me love beer. The hoppy aroma draws you into this beer and adds to the slightly bitter taste. This beer is slightly less bitter than most other IPAs and is a great add on to any beer drinkers list. This beer comes strongly recomended. (261 characters)

Pours a clear deep gold that leaves a two finger head. The aroma is candied oranges and pineapple. Smells floral, sweet, bitter, and delicious. The taste is perfect. Starts of slightly bitter but a nice caramel sweetness comes in to balance it out. Not too sweet, yet not too bitter. Perfect balance. I get mostly citrus wrapped in caramel candy. Drinkability is extremely high. This is the best single IPA I have ever had, granted I live in Florida and do not have access to most California and other west coast IPAs. The perfect beer in every way. Great for noobs, great for hop heads, and great for those who are looking to get into IPAs. A+ (644 characters)

Two Hearted was one of my first IPAs and has been a favorite ever since. Its funny how I havent reviewed it until now.

On tap, at Crunchys Bar in East Lansing, as I type this.

A- Ruby-hazed amber color, with a thin white head which leaves a nice lacing.

S- A nice, hoppy sting on the nose, accented with a pine aroma.

T- Once again, I'm tasting hops and pine, with a splash of citrus...subtle touch of malts in the mist.

Mouthfeel- Goes right down, with no hesitation. Light-medium bodied. My favorite aspect of this beer.

Drinkability- I could easily drink a six pack in an evening. Amazing stuff. (604 characters)

Fantastic beer. The BEST that's somewhat easy to obtain.

Great color. It's beautiful to look at.

Definitely a hoppy beer, but unlike others that tend to be overbearing this one goes just perfectly with the other flavors in the beer.

Floral hoppy scent.

Nice head. (267 characters)

A- Clear dark gold with a huge rocky white head that lasts, leaving spidery lacing down the glass.

N- Ripe tropical fruit, including pineapple, dominates the nose. Some brighter citrus notes and subtle pine resin add complexity. Just a hint of the sweet malt completes the bouquet.

T- Hoppy goodness fills the mouth on first sip. Toasted grain dripping with pine resin. The sweet malt and bitter pine complement each other perfectly. Some fruity notes in the middle accented by juicy citrus. Long grassy finish leads to aftertaste of toasty grain and pine resin.

M- Medium bodied, sticky with mouth-coating hop oils, moderate carbonation, and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, one of the great American IPAs. This is a world-class beer in one of the most competitive styles in the US today. Artfully crafted and undeniable. (824 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.