Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,691 | Reviews: 3,425

Favorite!

Amazing smells of grapefruit and piney aromas mixing in with a caramel sweet bready malt.
Slight citrus, blasting with a great grapefruit taste and ending with a piney flavor mixing in so well with the cake and caramel bready malts. It ends with the herbal bitterness that is very crisp and refreshing.

I never thought I'd get this beer but since my family went on vacation in Asheville, North Carolina I was able to try this beer out and wow its definitely worth all the hype. Its like Stone IPA but with a better richer malt bill and the hops mixing in with it to create that deep rich taste.

The pink grapefruit, the herbal piney flavors, the slight citrus all from the centennial hop? Very well brewed beer especially with how amazing the malt bill is with this hop strain. This IPA is one my favorites and I wish I could get this in NJ.

Fantastic beer. The BEST that's somewhat easy to obtain.

Great color. It's beautiful to look at.

Definitely a hoppy beer, but unlike others that tend to be overbearing this one goes just perfectly with the other flavors in the beer.

Floral hoppy scent.

Nice head.

Duvel Tulip
7 days aged

A: Gold in color with an orange hue. Fluffy two finger white head that never completely dissipates. Lots of carbonation from etched glass. Lacing is sticking very well.
S: Hops! Lots of floral, sweet orange, some tropical fruits.
T: Nice crisp bitterness yet well balanced. Taste is similar to smell, citrus(orange and grapefruit), floral. Nice lingering bitterness. Sweetness from the malt.
M: Medium mouth feel not to heavy not to light. Crisp and smooth, dangerously drinkable
O: World class IPA.

This is a mainstay in my fridge. I usually buy by the case outstanding easy drinking IPA. I'm a sucker for lots of citrus in my IPAs and the Centennial Hops do the trick.

Outstanding!!!

Ha! I got it wrong, initially. Those 5L mini-kegs actually qualify as CANs as long as they are unpressurized. It's okay, since I have had Two Hearted Ale in a number of forms, including bottle and cask, also, but now it is truly in a 16-oz. CAN. I scored it at Pinocchio's (@pinbeer) and I am excited to give it a whirl. The graphics are phenomenal and the name is an allusion to a Hemingway story, doubling my interest.

From the CAN: "An Ameri[CAN] India Pale Ale with intense hop aroma and malt balance. Well suited for adventurous trips anywhere."; "Unfilterered"; "Best Kept Refrigerated"; "Unpasteurized".

Man, was the Crack! loud! I immediately got an inverted Glug started, allowing the fish plenty of slack on the line to run. The pseudo-cascade quickly settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention in the face of tonight's humidity. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and my old pals Croesus, Mammon and Midas suddenly appeared, clamoring for a taste. Forget it! This is all for me. The nose was big with hops, giving off scents of pine, grapefruit, pineapple and as a previous reviewer mentioned, lilac or lavender in a lightly perfume-y way. As I was typing, the head began to drop, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were immediate and unrelenting on the tongue, but underlain with a sweet maltiness so as not to be overwhelming. Jesus, but this was tasty! The fact that it is now available in a more portable form of CAN really excites me. The finish was semi-dry, with the malt really achieving a good balance with the hops so that they do not become overwhelming. This deserves a place in anyone's cooler, no matter what their destination.

My original, on-tap, review dtd 02 June 2008 with all 5s follows:

A mini-keg counts as "on-tap", does it not? If not, this will either get removed or moved to a more appropriate type.

The pour produced a big, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. The nose had a great hoppy presence. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The mouthfeel was medium with a definite hop bite on the palate. The finish lingered with hops. There was great lacing produced throughout. This is unquestionably one of my favorite American IPAs of all time.

This is my favorite beer. My roommates and I live in Chicago, so we have many an opportunity to sample all varieties of delicious brews. This was my first IPA, and so now my taste buds are permanently spoiled. The grapefruit smell is close to the inside of a baseball glove for sheer joyful aroma.

Those against hops, keep away. Those that want to drink a manly beer and then go chop down a tree or something, have a two hearted ale.

P.S. If you're a 'liter'bug like me, read Hemingway's two short stories from which this brew gets its name. They're as stellar as it's beverage namesake.

Simply one of the best IPA's out there today. Perfectly hopped for those of us that don't particularly enjoy the IPA's on the market that are part of what I like to call the "hops for hops sake" fad in today's craft beer world. Bell's Two Hearted doesn't overpower your taste buds with bitterness, but that doesn't mean it is lacking in flavor. Just outstanding!

I know this isn't the best beer out there, by far, but I am just now really getting into craft brews and this is the best I have had so far. This is my favorite beer and it is 5/5 for everything until I can start trying more, which I fully intend to do - until then, this is the bar.

.... Yesss

Two Hearted ale is a gold color. The aroma is well balanced with potent smells of wheat and grape. The taste was great with caramel and malt being the main flavors that I could taste. Overall it was a light and well balanced beer. Would definitely recommend.

Consumed over and over, often cases at a time, from 12 ounce bottles.

Appearance: As my girlfriend says, this is the color of the gates of heaven. Pure mahogany to be serious, the color is lighter than it tastes.

Smell: Hoppy, yet sweet. This double IPA's smell alone makes you forget regular IPAs.

Taste: Awesome. It goes beyond pure hops, adding some sweetness to it. The bite of IPAs is gone, too, making this an unbelievably easy drinking strong beer. If you use this as a session beer, look out.

Mouthfeel: Certainly not thin, but not overly thick either.

Overall: My favorite beer. Only a person with no heart will dislike Two Hearted. Forget Christmas: The Grinch's heart would grow 10 times after ddrinking this beer. My girlfriend drools when thinking about this beer. No further comments, please.

beeradvocate dudes: What's up? 78. Please give this one another try.

Perfection! Everything is perfect about this beer!

This beer is the reason I love beer. It's my gold standard which I compare all other hoppy beers to.

The most perfect combination of hops I have yet to come across. beautiful balance of floral and citrus notes. beautiful amber/apricot pour. smooth and perfect finish.

I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Those Bells boys in Kalamazoo know what they're doing. I've only been disappointed with 1 or 2 out of the 10-15 beers of theirs that I've tried.

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

Absolutely fabulous!

My gateway drug to the wonderful world of IPA and Double IPA. I really can't say anything on here that hasn't been said before except, I honestly believe if I was restricted to one beer for the rest of my life, I could make it on this one.

Things I like...

LL Bean boots.
Canoeing a wilderness river.
Reading Thoreau.
Frontline on PBS.
A wood stove in the winter.
Flyfishing in Autumn.
A long roadtrip driving to Alaska.
Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

I've tried quite a few beers, and this beer deserves it's own category, it's almost beyond what you can call beer.

Pours a clear deep gold that leaves a two finger head. The aroma is candied oranges and pineapple. Smells floral, sweet, bitter, and delicious. The taste is perfect. Starts of slightly bitter but a nice caramel sweetness comes in to balance it out. Not too sweet, yet not too bitter. Perfect balance. I get mostly citrus wrapped in caramel candy. Drinkability is extremely high. This is the best single IPA I have ever had, granted I live in Florida and do not have access to most California and other west coast IPAs. The perfect beer in every way. Great for noobs, great for hop heads, and great for those who are looking to get into IPAs. A+

Without a doubt - the best hops ever.

Gorgeous white head, poured from a bottle into a shaker. Sticky lacing embraces the glass. A cloudy, golden, sun kissed liquid honey graces my vision.

Hoppy, malt goodness on the nose. Citrus flower blossoms blends with the sweet bready aroma of the malts, heavenly.

Bubblegum, sweetbreads, and shortcake dance on my tongue. Apricots and grapefruit, orange peel and a hint of lemon zest...mingle with the malty sweetness...finishing with a well balance hoppy smile that has graced my face.

This is truly one of the great American beers. Complex but balanced beyond words. I dream of beer but this beer is made of dreams. Perfection.

This is my go to beer when I don't know what I want. Every time I pop a new one it reminds me of what beer can be. Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a hazy, raw honey orange with a billowing 2 finger head that left sticky lacing down the chalice. The aroma is a explosion of citrus. Grapefruit is predominant with bits of orange and lemon. Also sweet grassy notes come through on the finish. The taste is what hops done correctly taste like. Grapefruit and lemon balance with just a bit of spicy/grassy notes. All the hops are balanced extremely well with a malty sweetness that comes out on the finish. The mouthfeel is full and leaves a wonderful coating of hoppy bitterness all around your mouth. This beer isn't a hop monster, its well balanced and goes down smoothly. The only knock is it comes in a little high on the alcohol content to be a session beer. Thanks Bell's Brewery for making one of the Worlds best beers.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to IPAs since I have so many great ones to choose from in my area and I love them dearly. That being said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is one I'll never not have in my beer fridge (not for a lack of trying to drink them all). For me, its the perfect IPA, highly floral with light fruity notes and a strong hoppy attitude. The bitter bite isn't beastly like you may see with so many other IPAs (particularly those of lower quality) but rather justly emboldened. This is, to me, the pinnacle of craft IPAs with the correct addition of fruity and floral flavors (and smells), right between a boring hoppy beer or some bastardized fruit cocktail.

My favorite ipa at this time

Best beer by Bells for sure. One of my favorite in the world. Anyone who drinks IPAs and has not had this- I feel sorry for you. Get it and drink it. I would love to try this wet hopped as well maybe they would do this once- would make it even better.

Thank you for creating this gold standard!

Unmatched balance of malt supporting the hops. Great depth of flavors and aromatics which remain throughout length of taste and continuing with mouthful. Stands above all other APAs and never varies year after year.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.