Follow our progress ...

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,434 | Ratings: 13,759
3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle poured into glass.
Smells fruity; not just grapefruit, but sweeter.
Tastes fruity as well. No malt to speak of, but despite this it's still tasty and interesting and doesn't just rake the palate with dish soap bitterness. The finish is certainly bitter like any good IPA, but by the end of the glass you notice the fruity hoppy flavor much more than the bite. Well done.
On the scale from balanced, complex beer to one-dimensional hop bomb:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo=Bells Two Hearted > NOLA Mechahopzilla >> Green Flash West Coast IPA

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

I thought I had found a goto favorite drinking IPA in 6 packs when I first tried it after drinking some draft brews at a beer place. My tongue palate must have been shot.

Don't get me wrong, it is just that Founders Centennial IPA became my go to 6-pack IPA a week later. Modern Times' City of the Sun, what I am drinking now, it better.

This beer is better than average, meaning better than Sierra Nevada. It's also better than a majority of west coast IPA's. So, this is good stuff. Slightly bitter, but decently balanced.

I will drink this again.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Dark yellow amberand transparent with a good inch and a half of nearly white head that keeps its form fairly well. Little sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Pouring it in gives the color an amber opaqueness.

Smells hoppy like an American IPA. The hop taste is not overpowering at all. Some grains also come through. A good balance here. But don't expect a lot of hops in this one. Even the bitter bite of the hops is subdued quickly in favor of malts' sweet feel. Overall a good beer, very drinkable, but like I said don't expect a lot of hops in this one.

Cheers

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle poured into a sam adams perfect pint.

A- Very clear golden yellow with a nice foamy 2 finger head. Pretty classic pale ale.
S- A surprisingly strong aroma when being poured and through the foam on top. centennial hops, Somewhat fruity, lemons and orange. But very skunky in a nice way. A very sweet smell coming from this one and it has a rather light characteristic.
T- Some fruit skunkyness on the way in. A surprising alcohol presence but only every so often. Not very bitter for an IPA. This really has a lot of taste characteristics similar to a gold ale or lager.
M- Not a lot of bitterness from the hops and a very light/easy to drink quality. Goes down smoother then smooth and rather refreshing.
O- I have had this a long time ago and remember it being better then it is. Id like to think that its because I got an old bottle but its less then 2 months old. Having said that, its a good beer, more along the lines of a pale ale then an IPA in my opinion. A good choice for any entry level IPA drinkers or somebody wanting a hoppy taste that wont bog them down.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A. A pale orange with fluffy white head. Not completely clear, but not completly hazy. Slight activity from bottom to top. Pretty sticky with nice lacing draping the side of my glass.

S. Very light, white grapes, a little bit of peach, grainy, dry hops, and some slight caramel. Too light in the nose. I wish there was more here, because the scents that come up and out are pretty good.

T. Tons of grain and malt tastes. Fairly dry hopped. Light caramel accents, and really sticky on the tongue. Some woody tastes are present as well. Its a little rough but its definitely what I was in the mood for.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Ale pours a dirty gold with a finger head. Nice lacing down the pint glass. Citrus aroma, hops strike first up front with a good solid malt backbone the provides a bittersweet finish. Very drinkable and pleasant but nothing spectacular considering the premium price ($12/6 pack Kentucky). It would be a great value at $8.99/6 pack.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

served in a Sam Adams tulip glass. Thick white foam on top about 1 in. thick. Clear golden orange color that turned hazy after the yeast mixed in from the sediment.

Smell was good. citrus and floral notes. not that pronounce for an IPA though.

taste was a good balance of malt and herbal citrusy hops... not as dominant as most American IPAs

medium body good carbonation

Overall a good IPA that was medium on the hops.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to Jlindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a standard tulip glass with a creamy head that leaves nice side lacing

S - Nice candy citrus hop aromas with a nice sweet malt. Not as upfront and fragrant as I would like.

T - much betterthan the nose. Good candy citrus hops with a strong sweet malt finish.

O - Overall I really enjoyed this beer liked the candied aspect.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Picked up two of these as part of a mixed-six in Traverse City Michigan two weeks ago.

Tulip glass fill from a 12 oz. bottle.

a. A happy nearly ckear amber. Finger plus thick head shrank slowly to a nice white surface film with a heavier foam ring which spread evenly as lacing as it was drained.

s: Mild fruit.

t: Nice light citrus/pine hop notes with enough hop bite to let you know it's there.

m: Refreshingly light. Quite a lot of carbonation.

o: A great warm weather drink. Nicely balanced.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours golden with 1 finger head and excellent lacing. Nose is a little on the fruity side for my taste, but the actual taste of the beer brings that out less than the nose does.

Hits the tongue relatively clean, but finishes creamy, spicy, and nicely bitter. Slight citrus lemon feel.

An IPA you can drink all day.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Finally got my hands on some more Bells after they pulled out of Illinois. This IPA pours a cloudy golden orange liquid with a decent amount of carbonation trails. A nice fluffy chunky head leaves thick sticky lace about the glass. Powerful floral and fruity hops nose. Some piney grass elements. Taste is a full on hoppy affair. Seems some what tempered by sweet malt elements. The sweetness also hints at grapefruit and green apples. Mouthfeel is fairly full for such a hop centered brew. Finishes a bit tart. I found this to be a drinkable beer, not something you want to session, but a good dinner or conversation beer.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at the Sharp Edge in East Liberty. Poured in a pint glass.

A: Interesting ... dark amber, almost orange. Head holds on forever.

S: It's a pale ale, so you get some of the things you expect, like pine and citrus. But there's also something sweet ... and that's a tease for ...

T/M: Here's where Two-Hearted Ale steps away from the norm. The pines and citrus from the hops are heavy, but they mix with a honey-sweetness you don't expect at all. Wow, it's good. And even with the sweet tones, the beer has a nice, slightly bitter finish. Very smooth.

D: Um, I'll have another, please.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 16 oz can into a wine glass. Indecipherable date code on bottom of can.

A-The beer is orange-tinted honey in color. My average pour produces about one and one-half fingers of off-white head. The retention is good and the beer leaves sticky curtains of lacing on the glass. Nice looking stuff.

S-The aroma is mildly citrusy with orange, some grapefruit, orange zest, and a bit of woody, oaky hop smell. The hops are balanced by a slightly sweet, bready malt that reminds me of wonderbread.

T-The taste, like the smell, is mostly hoppy with a woodsy, orange zest hop flavor competing with a semisweet malt base. I get toast and honey to go with the hops. No one flavor dominates here.

M-The feel is medium in heft with a slightly gritty, hoppy coating feeling. Carbonation is less than average in volume and strength.

O-I have tried this beer on three occasions now and finally got around to doing a proper review. It still has yet to blow me away, but I can see why people like it. It drinks easy, but provides enough flavor to keep things interesting. Although not a session beer (at 7% ABV), I could drink a few of these without feeling overwhelmed.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Overall I found this to be a solid beer, refreshing with decent hops notes and a good aftertaste.

Appearance: Light-honey color with a lingering head that creates rings as I drink from my pint glass.

Smell: Other types of beers have a larger smell profile and spectrum but for an IPA, this beer has a good fruit and airy smell to it. More malty than hoppy.

Taste: I like to think that Bell's named this beer two hearted for the two distinct tastes that I happen to experience when I drink it. First, I get a smooth yet bitter hops taste that brings in a zesty feel while after lingering for a moment, the second taste is the malty overtone that clears up my mouth. It is refreshing and leaves me wanting more.

Feel: It lingers but does not leave me with an overbearing taste once I swallow it. Carbonation adds to the refreshment of the beer.

Highly recommend this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poored into an imperial pint glass. solid 3 finger head, maintains very well leaving a fluffy white swiss cheese lace. carbonation is very consistent, nice amber color.

S: hop acidity, citrus, lightly sweet.

T: sweet for a non-imperial IPA. citrus to the point of being tart and very well balanced but simple.

M: Light carbonation, thin for an ipa. hops dont dominate the palate but they stick around for the aftertaste.

D: as session-able as an ipa can be.

if this beer was as ubiquitous as SNPA, Id order this when Im at bars that dont have much better. But its not, and if Im stuck in a bar like this, Ill continue ordering my SNPAs. glad I tried this beer, but Im not too upset that I dont know when Ill have my next one.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

This bottle has been in cold storage for about two years.

The pour is nice, but pretty standard for the style. Rich gold color. Has an appearance similar to honey. White cream colored head. Short head, but I guess I'd expect that due to the age of the brew.

The scent is really pretty amazing. The words for it that immediately come to mind are citrus flowers. I've never smelled a real citrus flower, to the best of my knowledge, but the floral and citrus scents are so well intertwined that they seem like one. And it smells delicious to me. To be a little more specific, I get a lemony citrus scent. I'm no good at placing specific floral scents, so I won't even try. There are also hints of apple and grape. Could stand to have a little more complexity and/or added scents, but overall this is pretty phenomenal.

Taste is actually turning out to be a little disappointing. Still tasty, but it definitely lacks the firepower that the younger ones had. Fruity, but sort of indescriminately so. Apple again, I suppose. Not nearly as citric as it smells. A little white grape maybe. There are hints of clove and other spices every now and then. Still pretty good, but doesn't seem to compare favorably to fresher versions.

The mouthfeel has definitely smoothed out between this bottle and the last one I had before it (about a year and a half, I'd guess). There isn't that sharp, bitter bite that was there before. Still a good amount of carbonation buzz on the tongue. Nothing too outstanding here.

Even after two years, this brew is pretty drinkable. Unfortunately, I don't think it's really any better than the younger bottles they. The flavor is definitely subtler this time around, and that can be a good thing, but I'm just not sure it suits this beer. Definitely a brew worth purchasing though.

Freshness Really Matters!!!

I have tried this beer twice before this, and both times I experienced a metallic aftertaste that I did not like at all, even though I liked the rest of the beer experience- appearance, smell, initial taste, etc.

Third time's a charm, I guess. This bottle is not any fresher (from the bottled on date) than the last time I had one- about 3 weeks from bottled on date, but there is definitely a difference in flavor, and a welcome one.

Pours a somewhat hazy orange hue with a 1" foamy white head that is gorgeous. Great looking beer. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down.

Big nose of citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, and some flowery hops. Faint pine, resin. Wonderful smell.

This is a juicy beer, and it makes you salivate. Definite citrus up front that follows the nose. More citrus and malt in the middle, bitter hop finish, neither flavor outdoing the other. Pretty well balanced, although the hop bitterness does linger on the finish.

I'm really glad I finally got a good bottle of this. It's still not the best IPA I've ever had, but it's a damn good one, and I can see now why people love it.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Big thanks to both d0b and beerlovingrl for multiple bottles of this fine IPA from two different trades.

The beer pours a hazy amber/orange with a thin soapy white head that leaves minimal lacing.

The smell is all grapefruit, orange and zesty lemon peel (even for a bottle that was kind of forgotten in the back of the fridge). There is a slight malty sweetness in the background, but you get mostly hops.

The taste is slightly more fresh cut grass than the citrus and lemon of the smell, but definitely all bitter hops with very little malt to balance it out.

The beer is superdrinkable. The alcohol is barely present, the carbonation is spot on for the style and the hops aren't overpowering but they are the dominant feature. This is a very sessionable IPA that I wish was available in New England all the time.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden orange color, with a strong hop smell and undertones of sweet malt. The flavor starts out with a strong hop bite and finishes with a sweet malt balance that doesn't take away from the hop flavor. I liked it but would rather have a west coast IPA.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Not part of the beer, but I love the trout on the bottle... Nice pale amber pour with a thick head that left some significant legs on the glass as it dropped.

Nose- Malty and some fruitiness with a little more sweetness than some pale ales, maybe some honey quality from the malt. Opened up to some pineapple with time.

Taste- Distinctively American hops with some sour grapefruit qualities. Some toastiness before a bitter finish as one would expect, a little bit of "spruce" flavor. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel- Fairly crisp at first before mellowing down and thinning due to the slightly lower carbonation. I prefer my pale ales to be a little bit more mouth-coating.

Overall- A well crafted, balanced beer. One for the North woods. While it has a nice blend of flavors, I feel it's maybe missing that one layer that blows you away. That being said, it went down the hatch pretty dang quick...

221st review on BA
bottle to pint
Bottle code 10183

App- A darker yellow color with almost no head on it. Very little bubble activity and almost no lacing.

Smell- Smells very floral with light citrus. The malts are very faint as well.

Taste- This was crisp and faint citrus. Had the IPA flavors across the board. Very much a tangerine flavor to it.

Mouth- Bottle says it. More crisp than smooth than I would have thought before hand. A little bit medium bodied with a nice high carb level.

Drink- A pretty good IPA. Was expecting more flavor but was pretty good.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a light golden color. There appears to be some slight haze (like dust), which isn't uncommon in highly hopped beers. Stark white foam settles from 2 fingers to 1/2 cm around the rim.
Smell: Dank with sweet citrusy notes, maybe grapefruit. The smell doesn't really blow you away, but is very pleasant.
Taste: The bitterness grabs your palate right away. There is some hint of citrus, but the hops dominate.
Mouth-Feel: Thick enough to keep the hops on your tongue, yet carbonated enough to spread the flavors. Great mouthfeel.
Overall: Very enjoyable. This beer is a great example of an IPA. I don't really have much to say against it other than I wish it were a bit more complex (but that's if I'm looking for something to complain about).

Rich amber in color.
The aroma and flavor was a little malty and more hoppy with some spicy floral hops poking through.
The finish is definatley hoppy that didn't seem to last too long, but left a nice citrusy aftertaste.
I prefer the draft over the bottle. An easy to American IPA

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Preface: I bought a six pack, and reserved reviewing this beer until after the whole lot was finished (over the course of a week).

Serving Type: Bottle to Pint glass.

Appearance (3.5): When pouring, the beer looks brownish, but in the glass it seems to be the orange-ish cloudy color I've seen any many American IPAs. The head is nice and stays throughout the drink, with nice lacing on the glass.

Smell (4.0): Smells great! though it's a simple smell to me it's what an IPA should be.

Taste (4.0): It is on the bitter side but man those hops taste good.. very fresh.

Mouthfeel (3.0): just about right.

Overall (4.0): As mentioned before, I drank a whole six pack, over the course of about a week before making a review. Only 1 of the six seemed to be a little off. All of the others tasted very fresh and "nicely balanced".

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass.

A: Very clear, straw colored/orange, with a thin white head that travels with the beer. Some light lacing.

S: Smells like a meadow I guess? Slightly citrusy and definitely some malt.

T: On the malty side with some floral and orange notes. Maybe its just the description but I also get a little bit of resin. Not overly bitter, but there is a grapefruit bitterness towards the end.

F: Good carbonation, goes down very easily. Finishes very dry with a bit of hop bitterness. Tastes fade very quickly. Slightly more than medium bodied.

O: Pretty awesome. Glad I was able to trade for some of this.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.