Join our email list →

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American IPA | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,355 | Hads: 13,405
3.84/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pale gold in color with a thick bubbly white head.

S- Extremely fragrant floral hop aroma

T - Sweet malty flavor balanced nicely by a hoppy bitterness.

M - Light bodied and very smooth

O - A wonderful IPA. Not one of my favorites, but very nice all the same.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Liefmans Goudenband gold-rimmed Cervoise-style glass.
Batch # 10269
Bell's Batch Finder = A bottled date of March 22nd, 2011

A-> Pours a beautiful pale hazy and clear copper. Normal pour yields close to 3 fingers worth of thick, white head that has very stubborn retention and stupendous lacing. Some terrific nucleation as well.

S-> Bouquet is of citrus and muted pine aromas at first. Upon further examination, some deeper malt undertones are detected, seemingly of the sweet variety. More sniffs reveal a definite honeydew melon smell with some mango/pineapple in there as well. Pine hop resins tail this one up. Really complex in the nose.

T-> Not as hoppy when it first hits as I was anticipating. Not a fault however as the amazing balance of this brew begins to introduce itself. Get the floral hops in the middle with some nice subtle pale malts in harmony with everything else that is going on here. Something just struck me as a tad stale or dated or something...can't quite put my finger on it...still delicious though...

M-> Nice. Very well balanced and refreshing, with a crisp and clean feeling on the palate. Finish is a tad on the dry side.

O-> Could really see myself sitting on the front porch looking out at the ocean enjoying this brew. Great representation of the style however, as with many beers, not sure I get all the hype surrounding this one. Doesn't mean I didn't like it or that it isn't a good beer, because it is. Just couldn't get past the fact that it tasted and smelled faintly stale or somewhat dated even though it was barely 5 weeks in the bottle...will be trading for more of this, hopefully a little closer to it's bottling date.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a DFH Snifter glass.

A- Nice orange/copper amber with thick 1 finger head that leaves its stain all over the glass.

S- Piny with sour citrus fruits, sweet malts and sugary resin with a mild floral perfume.

T- Extreme bittering hops overwhelms the opening touch on the lips and tongue, but milds out to a pleasantly smooth and sweet malty tingle.

M- Medium bodied and very bitter sweet.

D- This is a delicious IPA that has its set of mood swings. Every sip seems to bring a different feel. If this were available around me i would consume this regularly.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with a finger of white foamy head that retains and laces well. The aroma has hints o piney and floral hops. The taste hits you with the piney and citrusy hop bitterness then finishes with some slight caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is a bit overcarbed and burns slightly. Overall a great beer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

A - nice golden color with a whiite head. Nice lacing.
S - smells pretty good, a bit of grapefruit, not as strong smelling as I would have expected.
T - hoppy - bitter but not citrusy or piney especially. Missing those flavors. Disappointing, frankly.
MF - clean - flavor is good but it doesn't "stick"
D - Could have a few of these.

Thanks to Halcyondays for the gift. 12 ounces of IPA, on to the beer:

Paleish orange color, with a head that retains itself well and some lacing shown off and sticking to the glass. The hops hit your face upon opening the bottle, but fades away quickly. It still deleivers some results; tangerines, oranges, and burnt sugars. This could be a sign of a bottle with a little age on it.

There's still a "sweet" hoppiness found in this beer, with a mild toasted/burnt grain background. Tangerine and orange once again come to mind. It's a little oily and smooth in the feel, though the finish hits a small bump with a somewhat rough resiny aftertaste.

Bell's still isn't distributed to California, and I've only made two trades (none involving Bell's), yet this is my fifth offering from this brewery. Following the others, THA is DoubleJ approved.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a hazy golden amber with a respectable off-white head. Head initially appeared creamy, but soon the bubbles grew larger...almost spongey looking. Head eventually fell back to about a quarter inch which stayed around quite a while, leaving a good bit of lace down the glass.

Smell was at first fruity. I thought I smelled apples in the first whiff, but then couldn't find them on the second sniff. Next I got a nosefull of heavily floral, citrusy hops... almost too flowery!

Flavor was sweet malt at first, then the HOPS kick in! Again, floral flavor first, then spicy, grapefruity bitterness. Aftertaste had a definite orange-peel character that lingered a good, long while.

Mouthfeel was creamy and carbonation was just right. However, I couldn't imagine drinking a lot of these in a row!

I imagine that 2 months ago I wouldn't have liked this much. But, over the last 2 months, I've sampled a lot of different brews and I can tell that my tastes are maturing. I think I'd like to re-review this about a year from now and see what I think of it then!

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottle thanks to Grant. Poured into a tulip. This one pours kind of hazy burnt orange color with a giant three fingered tall head that sits white and bubbly atop. It retains nicely and leaves nice sticky lace.

Fresh cut grass in the aroma with a nice grapefruit background. Slightly bittering aroma with a noticable malt profile that hints towards notes of caramel. The taste doesn't transilate the aroma perfectly. It has a kind of toasty flavor with a more noticable caramel malt body. Hints of grapefruit with a good bitter hop finish. The aroma leads one to believe this is going to be a bit more citric on the pallet.

The feel is good. Nice light body with lively carbonation. A little drying. Overall a nice offering from Bell's. A well made IPA that delivers nicely. I'd welcome more of these in my refridgerator.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz bottle into standard shaker. from notes.

A - pours a hazy darker yellow with a nice, fluffy white head and excellent lacing.

S - Strong, floral hops but not much else.

T - Very IPA hop forward but tastes very balanced. It's definitely not a hop bomb but gives you enough bitterness to satisfy. I noticed a touch of honey on the back end, nice!

M - Medium to lighter body, a touch thin. Lots of carbonation, but overall a good feel.

D - Easy drinker. A good fishing beer, as the label might suggest! If only it came in cans....that would be awesome.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a cloudy gold/amber With white head and very nice lacing.

The smell is just a little dull with some citrus and a little bready.

The taste is bitter on the front with a little citrus making its appearance in the middle followed up by a great bready taste coming in on the back.

It's more west coast style but with that extra, almost dry, malt kick on the back a lot of ipa's are missing.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Pours a golden copper color. White head about 1-1.5 inches. Nice lacing.

S - Lots of floral notes along with some hop aroma.

T - Again, lots of floral notes with some malt. Hops are up front and present here with some citrus notes sneaking around as well. Good amount of bitterness.

M - Light to medium-bodied.

D - Very drinkable. Smooth.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

The beer poured into a pint glass with a little less than 1 finger of head. It is a burnt orange color with a slight haze. Not much in the nose, a hit of hops and alcohol. The taste was initially bitter and piney before smoothing out with a little sweetness. The finish smooth, making it quite drinkable.

Could drink several in a sitting.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Two Hearted Ale has fine balance all the way through. In the aroma, the Centennial hops and sweet malt intertwine great. The bitterness is kept in check with a good malt back bone. It poured a hazy yellow-orange and a small off white head. The medium body makes this beer a staple beer in most households.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

I've had this twice from a bottle and once on tap. The first two times I had it, bottle and then on tap, I wasn't too impressed. I was ready to write a mediocre review for this one with this last bottle, but it is surprising me! Let's see...

A - Beautiful hazy golden. Head is not too impressive, but lacing is quite nice.

S - Smells wonderful. Probably one of the nicest smelling IPAs I've had. Super citrusy, floral, and piny. All hops.

T - Very sweet and nice up front. citrusy in the middle and like sucking on a pinecone in the finish. VERY bitter beer. The first two times I had it, I thought it was extremely unbalanced. This go 'round it is still a little rough on the palate, but the other flavors pull it through pretty well. As with the nose, its all hops.

M - Crisp and nice. about medium body with very nice levels of carbonation.

D - Hmm... This one is kinda hard to call for me. I'm pretty impressed by this particular tasting, but I remember barely being able to finish the other two. It seemed like they were just liquid hop oil. Not much flavor too much bitterness. By this tasting I'm intrigued to try it yet again if given the opportunity, but it is just a little too pungent and I don't think I will be actively seeking it out.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

yellow pour, with a big rocky beige head. Aroma is citrus hops. Flavor is dominated by hops, citrusy, piney, big hop bite. Minimal malt profile, not enough to detract, but enough to be known. Full mouthfeel, just short of chewy.

I've had this on tap before, and IMO, it's a better beer than bottled. I'll surely drink this again, as it's still a fine beer, but given the choice, I'd take it on tap over bottled.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance: Totally golden with a bit of foam on the top. Nice lacing as far as I can tell. Carbonation is ok, but not very active. Good color makes this more than decent.

Smell: Freshly mowed grass and lemony hops. Also some citrus peel as well. A good and fresh scent.

Taste/Mouthfeel: More grass, lemon, and peel. An excellent fresh taste. Mouthfeel is not the smoothest in the world, but is pretty enjoyable. Leaves a thick, bitter feel/taste at the end.

Drinkability: A decent beer to drink with food. Bitterness could be a bit too overpowering for this though.

Overall: A good beer with some unique flavor qualities. Other than that, everything else is pretty standard.

From 10-13-12--New review (forgotten I had reviewed this):
Received as a gift from my sister-in-law. Tried almost two months after the date on the bottle. I recall having a sample of this back in June, but did not recall much about it.

A=Medium golden color, a bit lighter than usual for an IPA. Faint off-white foamy head of about one finger that settled down but stayed for a few minutes.

S=Smell of sweet hops...honey, with a hint of wheat. Rather strong and somewhat appealing.

T=I took a sip of this before I came to the site, and did not realize that it was an IPA. IPA's are not one of my favorite styles, but, as IPA's go, this one is rather enjoyable. I found a moderate and sweet hop presence, reminiscent of craft beers. Milder than many IPA's, this could be a session beer if consumed with a meal.

M=Nice moderate body, with average to above average carbonation. Sweetness and sourness presence make it one that you need to drink slowly.

O=As IPA's go, this one is more for the non-IPA drinker--if you are having a party with a variety of tastes and want to have an IPA available for maltheads, this one would work well.

---

From 5-5-12: Served chilled in a bottle at a local restaurant...could not see nor smell it. Bottle had a February 14, 2012 date on it, but did not seem to be an issue with the higher ABV.

T=Tangy, with hop zestiness. I usually don't enjoy IPA's, but this one was rather drinkable. I paired with a cheeseburger, and it helped offset the onions.

M=Seemed to be a bit lacking for the style, but rather drinkable.

O=Not a bad IPA, but I didn't experience the hype that others have had for this beer. If forced to choose an IPA, this would be my choice, as it was not overly hoppy and still enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured a nice orangish golden from the bottle into a tumbler. Head was ample, though it laced minimally. Smell was citrus in nature with a nice malt backbone. Taste was orangy and grapefruity with some bitterness. Malts played a strong part. Feel was average with a nice crispness. Overall a better than average Imperial Pale Ale.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Back when I was just getting into craft beer, I remember seeking out this beer because it was so highly rated. I probably didn't know much about beer styles then, and I scoffed at the label description, "incredibly floral hop aroma," because who the hell wants his beer to smell like flowers? But at the first sniff (and sip) I was sold. Now let's see how this holds up seven or eight years later.

Pours a light gold that brings fruit to mind- apricot, peach. Pretty close to clear as the tiny bubbles float up. Head settles quickly and is the color of not-quite-fresh snow. Of course now I understand that hops don't smell like flowers, but this beer smells like hops, although it's not as pungent as others I've come across. The hops aren't scathing on the tongue, and the finish is fairly clean, and I get some late malt sweetness.

I'd like to try a fresher version of the beer - this one was bottled about nine months ago. At the end of the day it's still good and will always have a special place in my heart, but it makes me sad that it doesn't stack up with IPAs I've had since then.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

If I drink this beer cold, straight out of the fridge, I enjoy it a lot more.

A: The beer pours a really nice cloudy orange. It has some really nice lacing and the thick head dies after an average lifespan.

S: When the beer is cold enough I can pick up on big citrus notes and even some banana. And, as the back label said, there is a really big floral hop aroma, I mean huge. It still very pleasent.

T: It is very spicy and oily. I can also taste some pair towards the end of a sip. The only other AIPA was really bitter throughout an entire drink. It was too much for me. This one finishes with a taste that is really dry hopppy, and bitter. It is almost like hard liquor. When the beer is really cold, this finishing taste is more of a background taste, not only tolerable, but good. When the beer warms up, it is too upfront and just too much for me.

M: It is smooth and a little thick, very nice.

D: If cold, the beer is an excellent session beer, but if warm, the spicy bittnerness will lower the drinkability.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Sippin a cool one poured into a pint glass with playoff baseball on tv...

A - Light golden amber, one finger of white lace
S - sweet citrus fruits and floral notes
T - Not a malty brew at all. Centennial hops dominate with a dry citrus and pine on the finish. Easy drinking. Hides the booze well.
M - On the thinner side. No stickiness.
O - Refreshing and easy. Not overfiling. Shining portrait of centennial hops.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured a hazy orange-gold with a golden-white head of decent size and density.

S: Very fragrant hops with a slight malt underbelly.

T: Hoppy but not very complex. Slight alcohol flavor coming through.

M: A little weak tasting; not very full. Carbonation is a good level.

D: Going down nice and smooth, and the buzz is hitting me pretty good. I've seen this on tap at a couple of local places and will be looking forward to having this with meals in the future.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

I purchased this bottle on a trip to Florida in early November. The batch code is "9977", which seems to have been bottled in early September, so a little old but not too far past its prime. Poured into goblet, as I do with most IPA.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy light golden color, with a white rocky head that settled after a short time. Thin lacing sticks nicely to the glass.

Smell: A light yeasty character to this beer. Non specific floral character and a slight pine are also present. I might have poured it too cold.

Taste: A tasty but standard IPA. The bitter hops make for an assertive beer. The malt backbone balances out the bitterness. The "pine and floral" drifts over from the smell.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation and body. Maybe slightly thin for the style.

Drinkability: This is a good IPA. I would drink this if I could get it more often, but they do not distribute to Utah. This is a beer that is assertive, but not overpowering. Nicely balanced.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into an ommegang tulip

A - pours a honey like color with a decent white head that dissipates rather quickly, but doesn't leave all together. hangs on with a thin layer that thickens towards the edge of the glass.

S - a nice bouquet of hops is prevelant, but nothing in your face. a well balanced assortment of mostly floral hops along with a touch herbal.

T - a very subtle ale with nothing jumping out as the prominent flavor. definitely more hop flavors than any real malt flavors in the foreground.

M - very crisp with a medium to light body. nice carbonation carries some flavors across the tongue, but everything seems a bit too reserved .

D - this is an excellent session beer with plenty of drinkability in its favor I wasn't blown away by this beer but wouldn't mind having a six pack every now and again.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

Got this one as an extra from a trade:

A: Looks honey colored with a decent 1 inch white head.

S: Smells like a standard IPA, nothing special

T: Not a fan of IPA's, but this one tastes decent. Has the IPA taste, but more of a watered down taste so it's not so hoppy.

M: Ok amount of carbonation. Good, but not amazing.

D: Again, good, but not super special. Decent.

All in all, this is a good IPA to try at least once no matter what style you like. I need me a dark beer now.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.