Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,417 | Ratings: 13,688
3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poored into an imperial pint glass. solid 3 finger head, maintains very well leaving a fluffy white swiss cheese lace. carbonation is very consistent, nice amber color.

S: hop acidity, citrus, lightly sweet.

T: sweet for a non-imperial IPA. citrus to the point of being tart and very well balanced but simple.

M: Light carbonation, thin for an ipa. hops dont dominate the palate but they stick around for the aftertaste.

D: as session-able as an ipa can be.

if this beer was as ubiquitous as SNPA, Id order this when Im at bars that dont have much better. But its not, and if Im stuck in a bar like this, Ill continue ordering my SNPAs. glad I tried this beer, but Im not too upset that I dont know when Ill have my next one.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

This bottle has been in cold storage for about two years.

The pour is nice, but pretty standard for the style. Rich gold color. Has an appearance similar to honey. White cream colored head. Short head, but I guess I'd expect that due to the age of the brew.

The scent is really pretty amazing. The words for it that immediately come to mind are citrus flowers. I've never smelled a real citrus flower, to the best of my knowledge, but the floral and citrus scents are so well intertwined that they seem like one. And it smells delicious to me. To be a little more specific, I get a lemony citrus scent. I'm no good at placing specific floral scents, so I won't even try. There are also hints of apple and grape. Could stand to have a little more complexity and/or added scents, but overall this is pretty phenomenal.

Taste is actually turning out to be a little disappointing. Still tasty, but it definitely lacks the firepower that the younger ones had. Fruity, but sort of indescriminately so. Apple again, I suppose. Not nearly as citric as it smells. A little white grape maybe. There are hints of clove and other spices every now and then. Still pretty good, but doesn't seem to compare favorably to fresher versions.

The mouthfeel has definitely smoothed out between this bottle and the last one I had before it (about a year and a half, I'd guess). There isn't that sharp, bitter bite that was there before. Still a good amount of carbonation buzz on the tongue. Nothing too outstanding here.

Even after two years, this brew is pretty drinkable. Unfortunately, I don't think it's really any better than the younger bottles they. The flavor is definitely subtler this time around, and that can be a good thing, but I'm just not sure it suits this beer. Definitely a brew worth purchasing though.

Freshness Really Matters!!!

I have tried this beer twice before this, and both times I experienced a metallic aftertaste that I did not like at all, even though I liked the rest of the beer experience- appearance, smell, initial taste, etc.

Third time's a charm, I guess. This bottle is not any fresher (from the bottled on date) than the last time I had one- about 3 weeks from bottled on date, but there is definitely a difference in flavor, and a welcome one.

Pours a somewhat hazy orange hue with a 1" foamy white head that is gorgeous. Great looking beer. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down.

Big nose of citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, and some flowery hops. Faint pine, resin. Wonderful smell.

This is a juicy beer, and it makes you salivate. Definite citrus up front that follows the nose. More citrus and malt in the middle, bitter hop finish, neither flavor outdoing the other. Pretty well balanced, although the hop bitterness does linger on the finish.

I'm really glad I finally got a good bottle of this. It's still not the best IPA I've ever had, but it's a damn good one, and I can see now why people love it.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Big thanks to both d0b and beerlovingrl for multiple bottles of this fine IPA from two different trades.

The beer pours a hazy amber/orange with a thin soapy white head that leaves minimal lacing.

The smell is all grapefruit, orange and zesty lemon peel (even for a bottle that was kind of forgotten in the back of the fridge). There is a slight malty sweetness in the background, but you get mostly hops.

The taste is slightly more fresh cut grass than the citrus and lemon of the smell, but definitely all bitter hops with very little malt to balance it out.

The beer is superdrinkable. The alcohol is barely present, the carbonation is spot on for the style and the hops aren't overpowering but they are the dominant feature. This is a very sessionable IPA that I wish was available in New England all the time.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden orange color, with a strong hop smell and undertones of sweet malt. The flavor starts out with a strong hop bite and finishes with a sweet malt balance that doesn't take away from the hop flavor. I liked it but would rather have a west coast IPA.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Not part of the beer, but I love the trout on the bottle... Nice pale amber pour with a thick head that left some significant legs on the glass as it dropped.

Nose- Malty and some fruitiness with a little more sweetness than some pale ales, maybe some honey quality from the malt. Opened up to some pineapple with time.

Taste- Distinctively American hops with some sour grapefruit qualities. Some toastiness before a bitter finish as one would expect, a little bit of "spruce" flavor. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel- Fairly crisp at first before mellowing down and thinning due to the slightly lower carbonation. I prefer my pale ales to be a little bit more mouth-coating.

Overall- A well crafted, balanced beer. One for the North woods. While it has a nice blend of flavors, I feel it's maybe missing that one layer that blows you away. That being said, it went down the hatch pretty dang quick...

221st review on BA
bottle to pint
Bottle code 10183

App- A darker yellow color with almost no head on it. Very little bubble activity and almost no lacing.

Smell- Smells very floral with light citrus. The malts are very faint as well.

Taste- This was crisp and faint citrus. Had the IPA flavors across the board. Very much a tangerine flavor to it.

Mouth- Bottle says it. More crisp than smooth than I would have thought before hand. A little bit medium bodied with a nice high carb level.

Drink- A pretty good IPA. Was expecting more flavor but was pretty good.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a light golden color. There appears to be some slight haze (like dust), which isn't uncommon in highly hopped beers. Stark white foam settles from 2 fingers to 1/2 cm around the rim.
Smell: Dank with sweet citrusy notes, maybe grapefruit. The smell doesn't really blow you away, but is very pleasant.
Taste: The bitterness grabs your palate right away. There is some hint of citrus, but the hops dominate.
Mouth-Feel: Thick enough to keep the hops on your tongue, yet carbonated enough to spread the flavors. Great mouthfeel.
Overall: Very enjoyable. This beer is a great example of an IPA. I don't really have much to say against it other than I wish it were a bit more complex (but that's if I'm looking for something to complain about).

Rich amber in color.
The aroma and flavor was a little malty and more hoppy with some spicy floral hops poking through.
The finish is definatley hoppy that didn't seem to last too long, but left a nice citrusy aftertaste.
I prefer the draft over the bottle. An easy to American IPA

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Preface: I bought a six pack, and reserved reviewing this beer until after the whole lot was finished (over the course of a week).

Serving Type: Bottle to Pint glass.

Appearance (3.5): When pouring, the beer looks brownish, but in the glass it seems to be the orange-ish cloudy color I've seen any many American IPAs. The head is nice and stays throughout the drink, with nice lacing on the glass.

Smell (4.0): Smells great! though it's a simple smell to me it's what an IPA should be.

Taste (4.0): It is on the bitter side but man those hops taste good.. very fresh.

Mouthfeel (3.0): just about right.

Overall (4.0): As mentioned before, I drank a whole six pack, over the course of about a week before making a review. Only 1 of the six seemed to be a little off. All of the others tasted very fresh and "nicely balanced".

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass.

A: Very clear, straw colored/orange, with a thin white head that travels with the beer. Some light lacing.

S: Smells like a meadow I guess? Slightly citrusy and definitely some malt.

T: On the malty side with some floral and orange notes. Maybe its just the description but I also get a little bit of resin. Not overly bitter, but there is a grapefruit bitterness towards the end.

F: Good carbonation, goes down very easily. Finishes very dry with a bit of hop bitterness. Tastes fade very quickly. Slightly more than medium bodied.

O: Pretty awesome. Glad I was able to trade for some of this.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Hazy golden color, with a large and foamy head. Some of the head stayed around for the rest of the beer with moderate lacing.

Very fragrant, and I noticed the smell as soon as I started pouring.

Underwhelmed with my first sip. Can definitely taste the hops, but not overpowering. I need to remember that this is not an Imperial IPA, so for a regular IPA it is quite good. I could have a few.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

A) Golden with an off white head. Medium sized bubbles, good retention, the head peaks a bit in the glass.

S) Strong smell of Citrusy Centennial hops, overpowers the scent of any malt profile that may be present.

T) High and sweet up front, citrusy next, with a thick leafy dry hop taste, followed by a bit of a spicy finish.

M) Creamy up front, thick with hops throughout.

D) Last time I had this, it was in a 16 gallon keg. 'nuff said.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Let's start with the fact that this brew is an IPA in everything except labeling. Going from that starting point, I'm rating this ale as the IPA it so definitely is. Of course, I'm not a real hop lover and have been off IPA's for most of a year now.

Pours a orange/golden amber with a 1" off-white head that drops to 1/2" firm layer then slowly fades to a thick film. Good lace.
Smell is oh so hoppy, floral, hint of malt with an almost piney scent like the northern Michigan woods you're supposed to be thinking of while drinking it.
Taste is hops, hops, floral & malt.
Crisp effervescence, medium body leaning towards the fuller side, warming. Curious as to how many IBU's this "ale" has. A good sipping kind of beer but not a thirst quencher.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a 13oz mug

A: Pours a light goldenrod color with thick lingering head that grasps tightly along the sides of the glass.

S: Strong hints of hops and citrus

T: Strong hop and citrus bitterness. I can't help but be reminded of the taste of a gin and tonic... only with hops of course.

M: A bit thin feeling in the mouth, but strong bubbly carbonation sings in perfect harmony with the taste and smell of this brew.

D: This is a beer that made me see IPA's as something to be savored instead of my previous thoughts as just being a "sour beer".

Bottle dated 03/12/12

Murky, golden with a small eggshell white head is short but dense and leaves some decent lacing. Props for a cool label.

The fruits are big and sweet and it’s the first time I can say I’ve described an IPA as peachy, so points for being unique. Big fresh peaches and apricots plus the a little bitter citrus, i.e., grapefruit.

Smooth and fruity, on the sweet side for an IPA but it's not saccharine; i prefer more bitterness.

On the slicker side, not too dry, and again, it's a little sweet. Lots of carbonation.

Very drinkable. While I’m used to, and I think prefer, an IPA that’s a little more bitter, clean, and crisp, it’s pretty good; they have a unique thing here. Looking forward to having the Great Lakes IPA right after this to get more of a sense of what the Midwest has to offer to the IPA world.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Great Ipa orange color with a nice white head. Not a lot of classic IPA smells going on here. Great bitterness on the tounge with an outstanding malt balance. Resin oils and sweet apricots abound. This is a great tasting Ipa with exceptional balance. Would like to session these very soon.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Somehow I forgot to review this!

12 ounce bottle ... with a fish on it. I never bought this beer because the fish was unappealing to me. Then one day I saw the review and decided I had to try it. My palate has come quite a long way for me to now enjoy such bitter beers as this.

Anyway,
A: Hazy gold, super lacey, like a cobweb of stickiness on the glass.
S: Floral hops. Super strong hops. A symphony of hoppiness. Like sticking your face in a bag of hops.
T: Like the smell. Pretty much a hoptastic hopstravaganza. There's some malt sweetness to balance it, and it tastes more balanced as it warms up. IMO this is comparable to most double IPAs in terms of hoppiness. It's not all just bitterness though, the taste and aroma are both also really strong, and it's certainly enjoyable.
M: Dry and bitter on the aftertaste.
D: Although it's really good, I couldn't drink too much of this at once.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A:Dark yellow with an orangish hue. great fluffy white head. pretty cloudy which takes away from it in my eyes

S: Wow, this is an amazing floral bouquet coming from this one. There must have been some serious dry-hopping goin on here

T: Heavy on the hops, I would have liked to see more on the flavor but the focus seems to shift towards the bittering hops. Finishes clean and has a decent malt backbone but the hop profile is clearly where this beer is focused.

M: pretty standard, on the lighter side. does finish dry and clean

O: this is a good IPA, its reputation may be better than the beer itself but I liked it and would definitely try another.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a hazy orange, hinting at its citrus hop flavor and aroma character. I picked up a funny, damp smell that was a bit unusual, nothing off-putting though. Taste was full of sharp and crisp grapefruit, orange, and floral tones with the occasional tinge of grassiness (from too much dry-hopping?). Bitterness lingers a bit on the finish and mouthfeel runs a little light, but it works. Reminds me of a nicely dry-hopped homebrewed IPA. Very delicious, get some if you get the chance!

A- Alittle cloudy with a orange tinge with nice 1 finger head. and Good Lacing

S- Citrus smell with a hint of hops

T- Has a slight bitter taste with a blast of citrus in the middle then a little hop tinge on the way down

M-medium body with good carbonation

D-Bought this thinking it was going to be a drainpour..was told it was really hoppy and tried this back when i didn't like IPA's but this beer surprized me. Very Drinkable for an Ipa and its bitterness and citrus combine great and neither overpower each other. Id get this beer again and again

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my imperial pint glass

A- Orange and copper with a hint of a light brown. Two fingers worth of a nice foamy head. Retains 3/4/'' of head all the way down. Leaves nice lacing as well.

S- Hops and citrus....mainly grapefruit. A slight hint of flowers thrown in the mix.

T- It's a little more maltier than I expected. I get the citrus, again, mostly grapefruit. The hops aren't really jumping out on me to much with this one. I'm also getting another flavor that I can't quite pinpoint....maybe apple???

M- Very thin not much carbonation here.

D- I could drink it all night. Goes down SUPER easy. Overall pretty good beer.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a marigold yellow into a pint glass with a large white head and lacing that lined the glass

Smelled of biscuit malt, slight metallic tinge, grapefruit and pine

Tastes like biscuits, pine, citrus grapefruit and orange, very bitter, slight metallic flavor also. This is a not a perfectly 'balanced' ipa, but I dont think that was the point to begin with. At 7 percent, this is a nice American IPA. The end taste is a slight bitterness which might be from boiling too many IBUs into this beer. Seems to have a similar chalky taste as I have seen in other Bells beers, but it is definitely a tasty IPA and would be easy to keep these on hand.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

This one poured out golden and super frothy into a standard pint glass, nice thick head to start which left remnants after each sip on the side of the glass. Aromas of pure citrus, limes, orange peel, some cloves with a taste to match. Nice hoppy balance, but not overwhelming like other IPA's I have tasted in the past. Perfect balance between citrusy hops and malts, medium bodied beer with a lighter mouthfeel and extremely easy drinkability. Hard to believe this is a 7% ABV brew, nicely covered up which makes this an excellent overall beer.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

I love an IPA and this is good one. Poured into a standard beer glass and was pleased by its creamy white head. Delicious hoppy aroma mixed with malt and orange peel.

A - light copper color, nice frothy, white head

S - Fresh florid, hoppy aroma with a hint of orange peel and malt.

T - Very crisp refreshing taste, great balance. Nice balanced hopping.

M - good carbonation level, nice medium-bodied ale

D - Delicious, refreshing, easy-drinking ale. Loved it

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.