Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,282 | Hads: 12,975

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 16 oz. pint glass

Bottled on ?

Consumed on 8 March 2008

A - Pours a brilliant golden color with a hint of orange. A thick, white, soapy head forms and peaks just at the top of the pint glass. A marvelous pour indeed. Three sips later, a thick lacing has formed on the sides of the glass reminding me of the foam sticking on the sand at the beach.

S - Grapefruit is the very first thing to hit my nostrils. Strong hops in this brew for sure; just what I expect in an IPA. Digging a little deeper, I sense some piney notes and barely catching my attention is a slight bready smell.

T - Hopheads beware, you may leave your significant other for this one. A very crisp beer with Cascade hops seemingly sliding down my tongue. As I swallow a nice bitter taste remains on the back of my tongue. A very enjoyable sip.

M - Light on the tongue, yet the flavor seems complex. As I swish it around my mouth, it seems that every particle on my tongue is being pleasured. Piney is the word that I think describes the mouthfeel best. There's also a slight bready taste which I think helps to balance the bitterness of the hops.

D - A very drinkable beer no doubt. An afternoon with a 6-pack of Two Hearted and a nice big pizza could be heavenly. It's a good thing that they sell this by the case!

To date, this is the best representation of an American IPA that I've tasted. (1,404 characters)

The beer was poured into a snifter. It came out amber with about 2 1/2 fingers of white head. The scent was very floral and fruity. The taste was extreme citrus with just the right amount of hops on the back end. The mouth feel is very smooth. I love this beer and try to pick it up anywhere that I see it available. (316 characters)

This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left a tan two finger head that gradually receded to a one finger head with excellent retention, staying all the way to the end, and left nice lacing all the way down. Color was a cloudy ( not hazy, but cloudy ) yellow-amber, less orange-copper than is typical for an IPA.

Smell - hops, hops, and hops. Pine, resin, grapefruit, lemons, floral. Small hint of bready, caramelly malt.

Taste - exactly like the smell. Pine, resin, wood, earth, citrus, grapefruit, lemons, counterbalanced with bread and caramel. Then lemony, citrusy, with tea-like and bready caramel finish and aftertaste of the same. Hops are aggressively dominant here, and malt barely hangs in there, but bravely so. This is deliciously bitter, done in AIPA mode.

Mouthfeel -full, smooth, a little chewy, some good hop oil slickness. Pleasantly drying, pleasantly bitter.

Drinkability - goes down easy and is delicious. Could down many of these in a session anytime, and in fact, will. (1,001 characters)

Along with HopSlam, I had the rare foresight to pick up a sixer of Two Hearted Ale today, and this is equally remarkable. This makes me all the angrier that I cannot get Bell's in Illinois, with their stupid, corrupt distributor's dispute. What a disgrace, being deprived of beer this outstanding.

Two Hearted Ale has the presentation that HopSlam lacks (the ONLY thing it lacks)--two full fingers of sticky white head capping a fairly clear, light orange body--positively picturesque. The nose is ridiculously good--citrus abounds, as does delicious malt and a whiff of pine. It tastes at least as good as it smells--the citrus, malt, and pine comingle like old friends. The mouthfeel is quite good but, without as much of a hop residue as I would (selfishly) like, this tastes almost like a sturdy amber ale, which isn't an enormous problem by any means. My point is just that it loses a little of the standard IPA, well-hopped mouthfeel that I like and, after HopSlam, expected. Then again, how can I possibly expect something close to the mouthfeel of HopSlam? Clearly I'm splitting hairs.

This is one remarkable, smooth, flavorful beer. At $7.99 a sixer, this is highway robbery, yet another tremendous offering from Bell's. (1,232 characters)

Really my go-to beer, whether its cheap or not.

Beautiful one inch head that retains. Light golden body.

Smells of a sweet balance between a nice citric hop and honey malt. God I love Bell's malt bill. Cascade hops are everywhere.

Balance is really the key here. Those citric hops are there, but theyre kept in check by a slick, honey malt bill. The difference is that the citric hops are just another flavor in the plethora of flavors.

Sits very light with a medium body.

Fantastic. As usual. (499 characters)

Picked this up at a little beer/ liqour store in Perdido Key, FL.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep amber/ orange color with a chunky white head that would probably linger for days on end.

S: Floral, fruity hops. A little grainy malt is present as well.

T: Wow. This is the most balanced IPA that I have tried. The fruity, juicy hop taste can immediately tackle any thirst and it is supported well by a blanced malt back. I would argue, perfectly balanced.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, not slick, not chewy. Perfect, I would say.

D: I really wish that I didn't have to travel to get this beer. It has easily become one of my top five favorites. There is nothing cloying about this one. It is perfection in a bottle. The 7% ABV makes it a little less sessionable, but it was quite nice kicking back 6 of these while sitting on the balcony of the condo each night. (887 characters)

I've had this beer hundreds of times at this point. It's amazing! I know taste is subjective but...if you don't like this you need to check your pulse! You might be dead. The only 5 out of 5 I have ever given on this website. (225 characters)

Bell's Two Hearted has 'It'. Period. You can wax on and on about the citrus this and that & the hoppy whatever... But when it comes down to it, you're never going to find a less boring beer. Ever.

You could find a hundred reasons to enjoy it every time you take a sip, drink it every day for a year and still not be satisfied, and spend the rest of your life trying to find something that will match it.

It is the beer that will remind you why you love beer in a way that you didn't even know was possible. It is the beer that will change the way you think about all of the beers you've had prior and the beer that will affect how you judge all of the beers you have afterwards. And, it is the beer that you would pick if given the metaphorical, "if you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one..." (817 characters)

I know that all 5s should be rare. This is a great beer.
Pours a hazy, burnt orange and is capped by a big frothy white head. There was nice lacing in my glass. Citrus aromas explode from the glass and are underlined by tropical fruit and a slight sweetness. Some pine as well as some grapefruit, pineapple, and orange flavors meet a nice malt feel. Medium body and medium-light in carbonation, Two Hearted Ale is well balanced. (428 characters)

Appearance- Copper brew with a frothy white head of foam. Great lacing and retention.

Smell- Freshly baked bread, flowers, citrus.

Taste- Perfectly balanced deliciousness. This is a midwest IPA and it lies between west coast and east coast IPAs in composition as well as geographically. The biscuity malt taste come through in the nose, followed by slight grassiness and earth and finishes with the right amount of vegetal bitterness. Hides the alcohol beautifully but still hits hard. Everything a beer should be. Unpretentious yet delicious
Mouthfeel- Very crisp, perfectly carbonated. The mouthfeel is simultaneously dry and resinous. Excellent.

Overall- This is probably the best IPA available in my area and it's one of my most frequent purchases. I currently pay $9 a sixer, which sometimes causes me to wonder why I bother drinking anything else. Absolutely amazing, especially when factoring in the cost and availability. Easily sessionable but still packs a punch. Quite possibly my favorite beer... (1,011 characters)

A - A beautiful amber pale ale. Very rich almost red.

S - Hoppy with very sweet undertones.

T - OH MY GOD> It is amazing. It is one of the sweetest hoppiest beers i have ever had. This is amazing.

M - A little syrupy for a IPA but very nice.

D - Could drink it all day and have. Great summer ale.

One of my favorites of all time. (338 characters)

Two Hearted was one of my first IPAs and has been a favorite ever since. Its funny how I havent reviewed it until now.

On tap, at Crunchys Bar in East Lansing, as I type this.

A- Ruby-hazed amber color, with a thin white head which leaves a nice lacing.

S- A nice, hoppy sting on the nose, accented with a pine aroma.

T- Once again, I'm tasting hops and pine, with a splash of citrus...subtle touch of malts in the mist.

Mouthfeel- Goes right down, with no hesitation. Light-medium bodied. My favorite aspect of this beer.

Drinkability- I could easily drink a six pack in an evening. Amazing stuff. (604 characters)

My everything beer from the office to sports. Very refreshing, and it always brings me back to fishing for steelhead on the Ausable River in MI where I first tasted it.

Citrus flavor coupled with a perfect amount of hops. Not bitter, and finishes smooth and dry. An excellent choice when thirsty, and the alcohol content is enough to get the job done. Initial smell let's one know that they are in for a treat if they like hops.

Tough to beat this IPA, period. I just wish I didn't have to drive an hour to PA to get it. (522 characters)

Well, I kept resisting the urge to do so, but damn... here it is. I have to give this beer the big 5. There's simply not anything wrong with it. It's the perfect American IPA. Untouchable.

It pours out clean and clear (if poured carefully) with an agressive and sticky bone head. Color is reminiscent of a sunset or the flesh of a peach. The lacing sticks all the way down.

Oh, the nose on this beer. Oh my golly. Oh my gollly. It's like home-made shortcake, glazed with citrusey pulp, vanilla and orchid petals. Hoppy to the extreme but showing a wonderful sweet malt base.

It's full, but not fat or bloated in the mouth. Perfectly carbonated, keeping it light, but not thin... just right.

When it hits your tounge, it's citrus bitter, rolling directly into sweet shortbread and vanilla malts. Plenty of fruit character shows, with some apricot and other fleshy stone fruits. The hop flavor doesn't back off though, it's there, and very strong, a lucious mix of citrus fruits, grapefruit, satsumas (mmmm) and the lovely spring like flavor of flower petals. All of this is rolled up into an ellegant dance of malt and hops... perfection. Seriously.

This is a beer to cherish and savor slowly. Every sip is an excuse to inhale the insanely wonderful aroma and to roll this heavenly ale around your tongue. I can't see how this beer could get better. Don't listen to the haters... they're just blinded by the light. (1,430 characters)

This was my first really great "hoppy" beer, and I love it above all others. This beer has the best first taste of hops that I have ever tasted. Unlike other hoppy beers, this hoppy taste does not sour, or linger too much with time, it just gives you a great crisp taste, and then you are ready for another mouthful. This beer inspired me to coin my handle "Hoppensniffer", and I love it. (388 characters)

I bought this in a mini-party keg and boy was it good. I went out and bought 2 more after that.The smell is of apricot and citrusy flavors. Probably made with cascade hops and a strong hop flavor. Perfect for hop heads like me. I love the packaging too,I think bell's should make this their flagship beer and change their other ones to follow the lead.If you like this beer a close second is Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA (423 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

Oh gosh this is a great HOPPY beer. When first opened you can smell the strong floral scent that comes along with hops and citrus notes. This beer packs a punch but it is really easy to drink. When poured it fills the glass with a light yellow beer and has a great bitter taste that is hops. Another one of my favorites from Bell's. I would say it's a great winter beer because it is quite heavy. (396 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

Whole heartedly in Love with the Two Hearted from Bells. One cold sip and the church bells ring in my head.
This is a world class complex outstanding beer deer lawd!

The piney and the citrus-grapefruit are blended in perfection. The body is heavy, sometimes feeling thick, and then breaks out into crispness and clarity. Foam and thick lace of about an inch remain and linger. Slightly baked bananas and brown sugar grapefruit are followed by pronounced hoppiness, in a perfect balance.

World Class (502 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +16.6%

The IPA by which I judge all others. And now it comes in cans and is perfect for outdoor adventures. I love this beer!

Great head retention, with lacing that lingers until the beer is gone...

Floral, grapefruit, piney nose, Fantastic.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Just the right amount of hop bitterness without being overpowering. Almost perfect.

Overall, the best beer I have ever tasted. It's always in my refrigerator. (433 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +16.6%

Simply the most balanced IPA on the market! Hoppy for sure, but masterfully crafted to achieve what few do, & rivaled only by some Belgium's in masking the alcohol. Top notch! Great job Bell's!!! (195 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Bright and light golden in color. Slightly cloudy with a thick white foamy head.

S: Slightly sweet and floral with a strong citrus aroma. Can smell hints of lemon and pear.

T/M: Smooth initially then hits back of tongue with a powerful citrus taste. Lingers with fruity taste briefly. Does not have a bitter after taste at all. Phenomenal IPA.

D: Extremely drinkable. Very smooth and easy on the stomach. (410 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted this beer. I thought the label looked sketchy, but the beer inside was unbelievable.

Appearance was a nice light amber cloudiness with an excellent sticky head.

Smell is a rude awakening of floral hops. Immediately gets the taste buds going.

Taste is impeccable. Without a doubt one of if not the best IPA Ive ever had the luxury of consuming. Perfect carbonation with a nice heavy bite of floral hops.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth as it lingers. Crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability is exceptional. If you are an IPA fan and have not tried this, you are wrong. Exceptional IPA with the perfect combination of hops, carbonation and scent. Unbelievable great job Bells!!! (715 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

huge hop taste, big malt back, floral aroma, two fingers of head,rings and rings of lace beautiful color, tastes of floral hops, and a nutty, earthy malt back. great beer, slighly out of balance but a good ipa really shuld be. best ipa i have had to date. (255 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

A big “thank you” to BlackAngus for sending me this one in a trade.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold with a foamy, off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Heavy aroma of hops & citrus (orange, grapefruit & tangerine mostly), very pleasant.

T: Excellently balanced combination of hops bitterness and sweet citrus malt flavors. The two flavors don’t battle each other as they do in some beers; rather they blend together even into the after taste.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation and a very clean finish.

D: This beer is very tasty, goes down very easily, doesn’t fill you much and is one of those beers where each sip makes you crave the next more and more.

To put it simply, this is one of the best beers I’ve ever had. (862 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

I was given this beer initially in a blind taste test of several commercial IPA's. This was head and shoulders above the rest. The beer pours fairly cloudy, but this hardly ever bothers me unless I'm pouring a pils or a Köslch or something similar.

The aroma was heaven. Expertly done, Centennial hops wafted up and had wonderful hints of citrus and only a slightly resiny American hop character. The aroma was not brash or crude, but artful and almost perfumey. Amongst the wonderful citrus were hints of malt that balanced very well.

The taste was very clean bitterness up front with a burst of that same citrusey hop character in the nose. Definitely balanced toward hops (and what self respecting American IPA isn't?), there was still enough subtle malt flavor to balance. Infinitely drinkable, I polished off my glass and looked up like Oliver Twist and whimpered, "please sir, can I have some more?". The hop flavor was amazing, not a "bash-you-over-the-head" type flavor, but a more like a 1960's Raquell Welch whispering in your ear "come here big boy and I'll show what hop character is all about...". Yes, it was that good.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. It's spectacular out of the bottle and even better on tap. If you happen to buy it in the bottle, don't sit on it, drink it promptly, it won't age well - really hoppy beers rarely do. Do not pass up an opportunity to try this beer. (1,418 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.