Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,700 | Reviews: 3,428

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

Bell's Two-Hearted ale is the best tasting, most complex IPA I have had. It is a little high on carbs, but wow... the flavor is unforgettable.

appearance --> sticky, memorable lacing that will impress
smell --> the BEST fragrance of ANY IPA I have tried
taste --> hard to describe... complex yet hoppy... a true Bell's accomplishment
mouthfeel --> It feels so good, you delay the swallow, but you must.
Overall --> I think this is the best IPA available in the USA. Try it!
Appearance --> if you like clear, clean beer with lacing that sticks to the glass all the way down, then you just might like this one.

Edit --> 8-1-2012

This beer changed my life. No, I am not from Michigan. I am from Alabama.

ALL THESE following BEERS ARE GOOD, but prior to trying Two-Hearted, I did not know beer could be so awesome. I have tried Terrapin's "hopsecutioner" from Georgia. It hits the hops button, but a little too bitter and uninteresting. I tried Stone's "ruination". It stomps out the hops big time, and has that distinctive American Imperial IPA taste, but lacks the complexity I seek. Then I tried Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo". Torpedo is very good, but it seems heavy on the stomach. The "Sweetwater IPA", also from Georgia, is a good IPA, but it is not in the same league as Two-Hearted Ale. "MoJo IPA" is what I buy when the store is out of Two-Hearted.

Two-Hearted Ale has the rare balance of complexity and hops that will deliver that IPA taste we seek.

I have noticed four types of beer drinkers:

1. The BMC Dudes--> They drink Bud, Coors, or Miller Light because they have never tried a good IPA. They do not really enjoy the BMC, but that is all they know. I know this because I was once one of them.

2. Sweet Beers --> Sweet beer drinkers like Porters and thick, syrupy beers that really weigh in on the malty side of beer and they go to sleep after drinking a couple of them. Since they went to sleep after two porters, they think that was good?

3. Sour beers (argh!) --> There are beers from Belgium that are actually SOUR like old wine. Some people actually like this taste, but it makes me want to hurl.

4. Finally, the wonderful, bitter, HOPS laden IPAs --> The American IPAs take first prize. We are so lucky to have access to so many VERY GOOD American IPAs. Belgium can have their sour beer, and England can have their "brown Ale" that looks like toilet water. In The USA, we have the best.

...But I digress.

I have discovered I like beers that are:

* not too heavy on the malt
* hoppy
* complex
* feels good in my mouth
* fragrant, in a hops kind of way
* Not boring

Two-Hearted Ale meets these requirements.

Bravo-Zulu Bells!

This is my favorite beer. And i would love to take a bath in it.

I...love...this...beer.
Pours a beautiful bright amber into the glass with a good rack of foam and substantial subsequent lacing. To me, the aroma is one of mellow pine and sweet grapefruit. Taste is also of sweet grapefruit, bitter but sweet at the same time. I know this is a well hopped beer but you don't get that acrid bite that you get with some super hoppy beers. This one is very mellow, but with lot's of character.

At 6% abv, $8.99 a six, and with this flavor, you just have to love this beer as the ultimate session beer.

A- Clear dark gold with a huge rocky white head that lasts, leaving spidery lacing down the glass.

N- Ripe tropical fruit, including pineapple, dominates the nose. Some brighter citrus notes and subtle pine resin add complexity. Just a hint of the sweet malt completes the bouquet.

T- Hoppy goodness fills the mouth on first sip. Toasted grain dripping with pine resin. The sweet malt and bitter pine complement each other perfectly. Some fruity notes in the middle accented by juicy citrus. Long grassy finish leads to aftertaste of toasty grain and pine resin.

M- Medium bodied, sticky with mouth-coating hop oils, moderate carbonation, and a semidry finish.

D- Overall, one of the great American IPAs. This is a world-class beer in one of the most competitive styles in the US today. Artfully crafted and undeniable.

The setting...a local bar near my home. Its the Opening Day of the Major League Baseball season. I have been ultra stressed out at work and at home and am looking for a hour or two of quiet, reflective, solitude. I leave an off-site work assignment and head to the bar to catch some of the Opening Day games. I sit by myself and stare at the 5 large TV screens. The first Two-Hearted arrives. It is a picture of perfection. Slightly cloudy, with a beautiful, whipped cream head. It begs for a sip. The bitterness takes over and the hop dance does its thing on the tongue. My stress starts to slip away. A couple of hours and a few pints later, I am completely relaxed and have reached a place we rarely get to go to. I am chillin' bigtime. It has been the perfect session beer. I have yet to have a "beer moment" quite like this one.

The actual review from 2002: This is one incredible IPA. The nose is that of grapefruit with a deliciously bitter hop taste. Pours out to a golden color, all its own. Its almost pastel in color. The head is large and reminds me of whipped cream. The taste excels. Yes the hops are huge, but their is malt here too. Enought to keep the big boys (the hops) from being overwhelming and giving this beer its wonderful character. The hop taste lives on long after the beer has been swallowed. The hops grab you and nearly make you beg for another sip. Once you find your palate likes hops, beers like this will hook you and your journey to all that is hop goodness will be well on its way.

Wow. A massive, dense white head exploding with hop aroma fizzes away as my entire body salivates in anticipation. I can't wait and rush in before the head settles.

Unbelievable hop flavor/aroma and perfect bitterness to back it up. Hazy super dark golden color and big patchy lacing mesmerize me as I hold my pint up to the window. A couple more savory sips and it's gone already. The hoppiness overpowers the malt but who cares it is so incredibly full of yummy citrusy/floral/zesty hop flavor.

A knockout bombshell of a 5 Star beer drinking experience that leaves you in pure bliss, can't wait to get some more.

Love IPA's. has a great malt, hop balance

the IPA to judge all others

L: Somewhat cloudy brass body, two-finger bone-white head. good retention.

S: Beauuuutiful. Perfumey floral and citrus hop notes. You can smell it at arm's length. Just gorgeous.

T: Perfect level of sweetness with just enough bitterness to balance it. The finish is plenty dry, but with just enough flavor remaining to invite you back in.

M: Amazingly smooth. The carbonation is present and effective, but unobtrusive.

O: This has got to be one of the best American IPAs out there today. A helluva quencher with lots of flavor. Try it with spicy foods.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

A: Beautiful dark straw/golden color. Medium white head with good lacing. Moderately cloudy.

S: Floral with lots of hops. Slight detection of pine.

T&M: Medium body. Strong hop flavor with a nice malt balance. Finishes pretty dry.

O: Very nice. Probably my favorite IPA thus far.

my favorite ipa to date

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 16 oz. pint glass

Bottled on ?

Consumed on 8 March 2008

A - Pours a brilliant golden color with a hint of orange. A thick, white, soapy head forms and peaks just at the top of the pint glass. A marvelous pour indeed. Three sips later, a thick lacing has formed on the sides of the glass reminding me of the foam sticking on the sand at the beach.

S - Grapefruit is the very first thing to hit my nostrils. Strong hops in this brew for sure; just what I expect in an IPA. Digging a little deeper, I sense some piney notes and barely catching my attention is a slight bready smell.

T - Hopheads beware, you may leave your significant other for this one. A very crisp beer with Cascade hops seemingly sliding down my tongue. As I swallow a nice bitter taste remains on the back of my tongue. A very enjoyable sip.

M - Light on the tongue, yet the flavor seems complex. As I swish it around my mouth, it seems that every particle on my tongue is being pleasured. Piney is the word that I think describes the mouthfeel best. There's also a slight bready taste which I think helps to balance the bitterness of the hops.

D - A very drinkable beer no doubt. An afternoon with a 6-pack of Two Hearted and a nice big pizza could be heavenly. It's a good thing that they sell this by the case!

To date, this is the best representation of an American IPA that I've tasted.

The beer was poured into a snifter. It came out amber with about 2 1/2 fingers of white head. The scent was very floral and fruity. The taste was extreme citrus with just the right amount of hops on the back end. The mouth feel is very smooth. I love this beer and try to pick it up anywhere that I see it available.

Quite possibly my favorite beer ever and I'm not even an IPA person. Perfectly balanced. Beautiful aroma. Not too hoppy.

The IPA

My favorite IPA

This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left a tan two finger head that gradually receded to a one finger head with excellent retention, staying all the way to the end, and left nice lacing all the way down. Color was a cloudy ( not hazy, but cloudy ) yellow-amber, less orange-copper than is typical for an IPA.

Smell - hops, hops, and hops. Pine, resin, grapefruit, lemons, floral. Small hint of bready, caramelly malt.

Taste - exactly like the smell. Pine, resin, wood, earth, citrus, grapefruit, lemons, counterbalanced with bread and caramel. Then lemony, citrusy, with tea-like and bready caramel finish and aftertaste of the same. Hops are aggressively dominant here, and malt barely hangs in there, but bravely so. This is deliciously bitter, done in AIPA mode.

Mouthfeel -full, smooth, a little chewy, some good hop oil slickness. Pleasantly drying, pleasantly bitter.

Drinkability - goes down easy and is delicious. Could down many of these in a session anytime, and in fact, will.

Along with HopSlam, I had the rare foresight to pick up a sixer of Two Hearted Ale today, and this is equally remarkable. This makes me all the angrier that I cannot get Bell's in Illinois, with their stupid, corrupt distributor's dispute. What a disgrace, being deprived of beer this outstanding.

Two Hearted Ale has the presentation that HopSlam lacks (the ONLY thing it lacks)--two full fingers of sticky white head capping a fairly clear, light orange body--positively picturesque. The nose is ridiculously good--citrus abounds, as does delicious malt and a whiff of pine. It tastes at least as good as it smells--the citrus, malt, and pine comingle like old friends. The mouthfeel is quite good but, without as much of a hop residue as I would (selfishly) like, this tastes almost like a sturdy amber ale, which isn't an enormous problem by any means. My point is just that it loses a little of the standard IPA, well-hopped mouthfeel that I like and, after HopSlam, expected. Then again, how can I possibly expect something close to the mouthfeel of HopSlam? Clearly I'm splitting hairs.

This is one remarkable, smooth, flavorful beer. At $7.99 a sixer, this is highway robbery, yet another tremendous offering from Bell's.

Really my go-to beer, whether its cheap or not.

Beautiful one inch head that retains. Light golden body.

Smells of a sweet balance between a nice citric hop and honey malt. God I love Bell's malt bill. Cascade hops are everywhere.

Balance is really the key here. Those citric hops are there, but theyre kept in check by a slick, honey malt bill. The difference is that the citric hops are just another flavor in the plethora of flavors.

Sits very light with a medium body.

Fantastic. As usual.

The way this beer maintains delicate flavors is crazy.

Picked this up at a little beer/ liqour store in Perdido Key, FL.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep amber/ orange color with a chunky white head that would probably linger for days on end.

S: Floral, fruity hops. A little grainy malt is present as well.

T: Wow. This is the most balanced IPA that I have tried. The fruity, juicy hop taste can immediately tackle any thirst and it is supported well by a blanced malt back. I would argue, perfectly balanced.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, not slick, not chewy. Perfect, I would say.

D: I really wish that I didn't have to travel to get this beer. It has easily become one of my top five favorites. There is nothing cloying about this one. It is perfection in a bottle. The 7% ABV makes it a little less sessionable, but it was quite nice kicking back 6 of these while sitting on the balcony of the condo each night.

I've had this beer hundreds of times at this point. It's amazing! I know taste is subjective but...if you don't like this you need to check your pulse! You might be dead. The only 5 out of 5 I have ever given on this website.

Bell's Two Hearted has 'It'. Period. You can wax on and on about the citrus this and that & the hoppy whatever... But when it comes down to it, you're never going to find a less boring beer. Ever.

You could find a hundred reasons to enjoy it every time you take a sip, drink it every day for a year and still not be satisfied, and spend the rest of your life trying to find something that will match it.

It is the beer that will remind you why you love beer in a way that you didn't even know was possible. It is the beer that will change the way you think about all of the beers you've had prior and the beer that will affect how you judge all of the beers you have afterwards. And, it is the beer that you would pick if given the metaphorical, "if you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one..."

I know that all 5s should be rare. This is a great beer.
Pours a hazy, burnt orange and is capped by a big frothy white head. There was nice lacing in my glass. Citrus aromas explode from the glass and are underlined by tropical fruit and a slight sweetness. Some pine as well as some grapefruit, pineapple, and orange flavors meet a nice malt feel. Medium body and medium-light in carbonation, Two Hearted Ale is well balanced.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.