1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,688 | Reviews: 2,961 | Show All Ratings:
knephews

1.73/5  rDev -59.5%

When I first tasted this beer (I purchased a six pack) at Capone's Bottle Shop in Norristown, PA), I believed it was the best IPA that I've ever tasted...Citrus, Hops, etc... Everything that you would expect from a good IPA. Then I purchased a case of it. It was a different story! The citrus bite was replaced by a hint of sourness. Bottle after bottle I tried with the same result. Who knows, maybe I got a bad case. But I'm not willing to shell out another 30 plus dollars to give it a second try.

The question remains: What does the real "Two Hearted Ale" taste like? My first experience or my second?

I even emailed the President of Bell's with no response. Maybe they don't want my expendable beer dollars.

11-09-2010 19:17:05 | More by knephews
B967ierhunter177

1.88/5  rDev -56%

This beer pours a clear gold color with a thin head and no lacing. The aroma is of lemons with faint hints of grapefruit and caramel. The flavor is an odd mix of mild grapefruit, lemons, very sweet malt, and bread. There's a bit of Ginger Ale hiding in the background. As it warms any complexity fades and bitter hops come through. It's mouthfeel is medium. Bells Two Hearted Ale is an ok beer, slightly recommended.

07-24-2012 04:27:38 | More by B967ierhunter177
xare

1.98/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

01-07-2008 22:02:55 | More by xare
zoolzoo

Connecticut

2.08/5  rDev -51.3%

Thanks awalk1227!

Bottle dated 3/29/11

A: Golden, hazy, unfiltered. Frothy white head, sticky.

S: Im surprised and disappointed by the aroma, not pulling alot out of this one. Saltine or stale cracker malt profile. Hop aromas are mostly watered down pine.

T: Not much going on here either. Cracker like malt profile accented with pine sap hops, finish is dry and bitter. Not much citrus, no zing. Drinkable but boring.

M: High carbonation combined with copious amounts of generic bitterness creates a mouthfeel that is just short of scathing.

O: Sorry, I dont get it.

04-29-2011 19:48:21 | More by zoolzoo
bobinverted

2.17/5  rDev -49.2%

Bell's makes some great Stouts. Their Oatmeal Stout is amazing, but I haven't been too impressed with their other offerings. I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is just another horribly over hopped American ale. I know it's an IPA and hoppiness is a characteristic of the style, but I just don't think there is enough maltiness and body in this brew to support all the hops. All I can taste is a sickening amount of floral and citrus hops. To me it seems very unbalanced and astringent. In my opinion it certainly doesn't belong in the BA top 50.

07-14-2003 21:49:59 | More by bobinverted
biglite351

2.33/5  rDev -45.4%

A - watered down honey color, tall creamy white head. Better than I expected.

S - typical IPA hops plus some fruit.

T - mild hops but a flavor like a bunch mixed old fruit.

M - medium coating with a good amount of tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - not my bag but I could see other people liking this.

10-31-2010 19:12:25 | More by biglite351
thelagerheads

2.4/5  rDev -43.8%

Henceforth I'm going to call this beer Fishbine. Not because it tastes like fish but because even the fish on the label ain't biii-ne into the hype of the Two Hearted Ale by Bell's. Bell's makes great beer but they also make craft beers and in doing so there are always extremes. Much more brusk than the aftertaste of Oberon, this beer has a citrus bite that rivals the pungent meat of the rind. It literally is rind beer. I know that it is lauded as a summertime delicacy but it is more like drinking the broth of a lemorange peel that sat out in the sun too long and then was chilled. No goodness here.

07-22-2006 20:51:28 | More by thelagerheads
AndoBrew

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

*did not like would not buy*
app: orange ish, murky, not great looking, like bad cider.

smell: nice hops.. a lil bit of sharpnes, that i do not like. good malts in the nose as well. fruit snacks and citrus!

taste: water , then hops, but nice ones! then ICK, odd acid paint chemical back of the throat! it is mild, but its still there. there at all is to much! so sad.. all the other flavors are nice, its balanced and good, but acidic and nasty.

mf: refreshing and crisp but to frothy.

drinkable?? no

01-09-2008 23:26:58 | More by AndoBrew
TheBigBoy

2.53/5  rDev -40.7%

Out of 12oz bottle. This two hearted beer one broke my heart. I had heard much about this beer and expectations were perhaps too high. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Just too much of thick and hearty beer for my palate. I do enjoy other Bells Beers (Best Brown, Hopslam, etc.)which work really well for my tastebuds. Obviously this beer is a crowd pleaser, just not my type of brew.

11-28-2011 03:56:26 | More by TheBigBoy
dananabanana

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Translucent, dark gold. White foam has large bubbles. Leaves a faint trail of lacing.

S: Sweet, some wheat, touch of honey.

T: Hops hit right away. Very floral. Herbs. Slight sweetness. But not really complex. Almost like an over-hoppy macro. Not really impressed.

M: Fairly well-balanced carbonation.

D: Not really flavorful enough to want more than one. Just overwhelming hops, but otherwise flat.

03-28-2009 14:41:17 | More by dananabanana
pmorey

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -37.9%

Bottle pour into an imperial pint glass, date stamp of 2/11/13.

Very nice amber orange color with a decent creamy-looking head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Nose is very, very promising. Floral/fruity with a bit of pine. Good initial mouth-feel, carbonation is just right. But then...

I am really puzzled by this tasting. With all the stellar reviews and past experience with Oberon, I was very much looking forward to this. Frankly, it makes me think of drinking Christmas tree water. Very bitey hops and bitterness with no other noticeable flavors.

I tried a second and that was all I can do. I will look to give away the rest of the six and then make a doctors appointment to make sure I don't have a terminal illness or something that is affecting my taste buds.

03-23-2013 01:21:41 | More by pmorey
trumick

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

This is a re-review. And, after opening and pouring I can already tell I am going to have to change it, somewhat.

Pours a pale, orange, cloudy color, nice 1/2 inch head with lacing all around.

Scent is of, sweet malt, knock me over citrusy hops and yeast.

Taste follows the nose with a very sweet, sugary malt flavor, supercharged citrus hops, and finishes dry. The last time I had this beer, the taste reminded me of Oberon. This bottle is not nearly as bad as Oberon. It's an ok flavor, but still unbalanced, and I would put Arcadia's and New Holland's IPAs (two more locals) above this one. If anything this is, at best, a below average, unbalanced, over-hopped, american ale.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, creamy, smooth but the carbination seems a bit on the low side for the style.

Drinkability is still on the negative side of the scale. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek this beer out. Hell, I wouldn't even buy it again if it were right in front of me, but if somebody handed me one at a party I wouldn't turn it down. That's not saying much, cause I wouldn't turn down a High Life either. The only way I would give this beer another chance is on tap or cask.

I still wouldn't put this beer on the Best of BA. There are at least a dozen others that should be rated above this average, boring pale ale. I like IPA's, NO, I really like IPAs and have sampled enough to know that TH would rank at the very bottom of that list. It's not terrible but it's not good either. Let me put it this way, it's not even close to a Finest Kind IPA..

01-14-2005 03:53:02 | More by trumick
LCB_Hostage

2.68/5  rDev -37.2%

Bell's distribution where I live is really spotty, even for something as ubiquitous as Two Hearted, so when I saw a six at my local bottle shop, I snapped it up eager to see what all the fuss was about.

Served from a bottle into a pint glass. Per the label, it was bottled 1-28-13.

A: More golden than orange. 1-finger, fast fading head. Some lacing, but not much.

S: A bit of piney resin straight from the bottle, but once in the glass, nothing, nada, zilch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I poured a beer with so little nose.

T: Quite a bit maltier than I expected. Smooth with little hop character. What hops there were left a slightly bitter aftertaste that faded quickly.

M: Probably the best aspect of this beer IMO. Smooth, somewhat creamy/silky with just enough of an astringent finish to wake up the tongue.

O: I know this is the quintessential go-to beer for a lot of BAs here, but I just don't get it. I think part of it is that it's classified as an IPA, but I found it much too timid to earn that title. If it were labeled as an APA, I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher. I can't say this isn't a "good" beer and very well made, but it didn't really impress. It did drink smoothly and if the ABV were quite a bit lower, it would make a nice session beer, but it really didn't live up to my expectations for an IPA.

03-06-2013 18:17:07 | More by LCB_Hostage
TXHops

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

-IBU’s:
-Malts:
-Hops:
-Color:

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale pours a shockingly pale yellow color, looking more like SNPA than most American IPA’s (when decanted off the yeast—a full pour left a vesry cloudy body). The nose has a big, vegetal hop aroma, smelling strongly of coriander, though I’d be beyond beside myself to learn that any adjuncts or spices were used in this beer. The very slight haziness lends credibility to an over-crystal malted style. The just-less-than-white head is pretty fluffy after the yeast has been added from the bottle, but is mediocre otherwise.

The flavor is odd, to say the least. Sweet, pineapples mix with cooked vegetables to leave a very unusual sensation in the mouth. Then there’s that damned coriander flavor! Is this an Imperian Wit or an IPA??? OK, we’re gonna stop right here and assume the worst—I got a funky bottle. I stopped and read about 30-40 reviews of this stuff and everyone loved it. There were several telling mentions of an “odd sweetness” or a “pleasant funkiness from the Bell’s yeast” that’s just killing me here! The ambient flavors created by the fermentation with the “famous” Bell’s yeast is wreaking havoc on my buds. In my doubt, I had my wife taste it and she thought it tasted and smelled like ash (not ass, ash). This stuff is as close to horrid as a beer can get without being dumped. Let’s hops for a bad bottle and a shot at redemption in the future. I’m rating what I taste based on the fact that with something like 60+ IBU’s and 7$ ABV, this stuff oughtta be impervious to bugs.

Updated early April 2003: I retasted and although this second bottle was MUCH better than the first, it still had subtle hints of that vegetal, coriander flavor. I'm upping my score, but not by much. I'd love to taste this stuff fermented without the Bell's yeast...

04-10-2003 10:34:37 | More by TXHops
mashedpotatoes

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance is orange-ish haze. Head wells up to a solid 3 finger pillow on a regular pour. Smell is incredibly citrusy. Taste is even more citrusy, like a mixture of lemon and orange rinds. Lots of complicated floral notes but most notably are the hops, just exploding all over the place. Mouthfeel is not bad, average thickness with actually quite a pleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is just average I would say due to the complicated flavor and high Abv%.

08-27-2008 02:47:46 | More by mashedpotatoes
justintcoons

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

A: Pours amber with golden highlights with half a finger head that dissipates quickly. Sudsy, scattered lacing slides down the side of the glass. Low carbonation.

N: Citrus, pine and light caramel notes.

T: Lemon citrus and pine upfront followed by hints of navel orange and some very light grains in the background. Finishes with spicy pine, citrus rind and a light floral bouquet.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, somewhat sticky and dry.

O: Nice bitterness and American hop profile but lacks dimension from such a light malt backbone. This is essentially hop-water but fans of West Coast IPAs will love this beer.

07-18-2011 00:02:50 | More by justintcoons
jds1469

Indiana

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

Nothing special to talk about here. Just your run of the mill IPA. For the price get a DFH 90 min. Light copper color, light hoppy smell, little flavor, thin consistency, just alright drinkability.

The taste is too boozy for how little flavor is in this beer.

01-19-2011 02:28:24 | More by jds1469
Minkybut

2.8/5  rDev -34.4%

I poured this hppy brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice golden color with a cloudy look. The beer smelled hoppy and was. It is great for what it is I'm sure and has a high rating, but I did not like it. Way to bitter for me and alcohol was right tight also. Not going to purchase this one again

12-10-2007 14:52:51 | More by Minkybut
rand

2.85/5  rDev -33.3%

This was a surprise in a nice trade I did with joel6615. Thanks Joel!

From bottle to pint glass

A: Pours an opaque yellow-orange that forms tendrils of suspended yeast and carbonation. A frothy 2-inch head forms that leaves layers of lacing. This really has a sea-foam consistency.

S: Light citrus and pine with plenty of honey malts in the back. The citrus profile suggests notes of apple, along with the standard grapefruit-y scent.

T: Light, fruity, floral tones meet you at the front of the sip, combined with bitter grapefruit. Pine is almost non-existent. There's plenty of malt support, and the beer quickly takes on a bready quality, but the malts have a sugary sweetness that doesn't compliment the bitter tones. The lack of hop bite leaves the brew with a relatively stale quality. Although not cloying, the finish is strangely sweet for an IPA.

M: Rich, hearty and viscous, espeicially for a single IPA. Carbonation is spot on and helps wash away some of the residual sweetness.

Drinkability and notes: If I had this beer by itself, I probably wouldn't complain, but there are far better IPA's out there. It wasn't hard to drink , and, by itself, is somewhat refreshing, but the hop/malt balance is off. Given the BA popularity and rave reviews I was expecting more.

09-23-2010 09:08:36 | More by rand
RussBecker1

2.85/5  rDev -33.3%

Served in a pint glass.

A-Much prettier than expected. A sweet orangey/pale yellow blend with a frothy head that certainly looks very intriguing.

S-Virtually non existent. Maybe some malt maybe some yeast but overall there was hardly anything there.

M- No real different than your average ale, a waxy texture is apparent that sticks to the mouth, but is neither welcoming nor dismissible.

T-Again not nearly worth the hype. Very weak body with hardly any lasting or enjoyable flavors.

O- I have had two hearted a couple of times before and remembered it as being far better than this batch, but the inconsistency of the brew will steer me clear of purchasing this again in the near future

09-02-2012 18:21:34 | More by RussBecker1
fscottkey

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Cloudy rust color. Generates a 1 finger persistent head.

S: Slight floral and hop smells.

T: Hops and not much else. Nothing very powerful pushing through

M: Very easy going down - almost too easy. Like water.

O: My first sip made me think it was fairly weak for an IPA. That combined with the lack of a real presence in mouth feel left me slightly disappointed. I expected more depth and complexity for such a highly regarded IPA. It just didn't deliver for me.

* - As always - when I am this far "off" the norm I will try this again in the future and make sure I am comfortable with my review.

03-14-2014 01:10:49 | More by fscottkey
Ohiovania

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured very nicely with a perfect amount of head that stayed for a nice visit and laced well in the glass. Smell was of hops and citrus fruit and wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting. Taste was somewhat citrusy, hoppy, with a brief staccato in flavor, and finished with good bitterness and very light piney flavor. Mouthfeel was good and it was well carbonated. One was enough though and I won't pick this brew up again for a while.

03-28-2009 15:43:02 | More by Ohiovania
nubz77

West Virginia

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Golden hued with a decent head. The smell is decent with lots of citrus varieties, the hops definitely make themselves known. Carbonation is right on par.

The only problem is it tastes like I'm drinking a floral arrangement. I've heard lots of people use 'grapefruit' to define hop flavors but I've never tasted more than just hints of that until I had this beer, and my god is it pungent. There are hops all over the place, but it's just too flowery for my palate.

12-03-2011 16:01:16 | More by nubz77
kojevergas

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

It's my birthday! I just review Expedition Stout and was really disappointed, but I'm hoping this one is as good as it's meant to be. Here you go, Bell's, this is your second chance. Bottled 08/29/12. 7.0% ABV confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I've hearing about this one for awhile. 355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger frothy creamy beige head of good thickness and retention. Colour is a murky copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks like any standard IPA ought to.

Sm: Floral, pine, and citrus (lemon) notes - in that order. Light soap. Even a bit of bubblegum. There's some pleasant clean malts lurking beneath the hops. The soap concerns me (I've brewed my fair share of too-long-in-primary IPAs), but I'm hoping it's good. An average strength aroma.

T: Soap, clean malts, floral hops, more soap, some light grapefruit, and lemon on the finish. Imbalanced; the salty soap dominates. What's the hype about? Very underwhelming. It's clean, though, and it does hide its ABV well. No alcohol comes through. Definite salt on the climax; almost gose-esque.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and not quite refreshing. Suits the flavours alright.

Dr: Man, Bell's is pissing me off a bit. I don't get the hype about this brewery at all, and I've tried two of their higher rated brews. This one is so damn soapy it's hard to enjoy. Get rid of the soap and then we'll talk, Bell's. What a disappointment. Drinkable, but pedestrian at best.

I initially gave it a C-, but it does get better as it warms.

C

11-04-2012 02:58:00 | More by kojevergas
witster18

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting beer.
This smells of IPA and initially it tastes of IPA with strong pink grapefruit and copper malt backbone... but then there's a little bite of fake-fruity-artificialsweetness... reminds me of Leiny's sunset wheat... almost like somebody dropped a shot of that in here... WHICH IS NOT a good thing... it really hits in the aftertaste and really turns me in the wrong direction on this beer...
I give it props for the taste up front... and for the fact that it completely hides it's alcohol content... in that aspect I'm not sure if I've ever had a 7%'er that didn't have some alcohol bite... but that off-put-taste of fake sweetener is just turning me off of this one and it will be my last.
traded a 6 pack of Dortmunder Gold for two bottles(one of these) and a grolwer of Highlands organic... great quantity trade but terrible 'taste' trade...
I'll leave the two-hearted on the shelf and go with the Columbus Pale Ale or Liberty Ale the next time...

01-24-2009 21:12:47 | More by witster18
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.