Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,700 | Reviews: 3,427

I really dislike the flavor, taste, after taste, smell. I know it's a local favorite but not my bottle of beer, to much citrus or over hop taste.

1.3/5  rDev -69.6%

I had one in a variety pack and it was the most ungodly bitter beer i've ever tasted. The first few sips didn't seem bad but i barely wanted to finish it, and i've never not finished a beer because of taste. I don't know, maybe the one i picked up was old and had gone bad, but it was absolute shit. Nothing pleasant about it.

1.76/5  rDev -58.8%

When I first tasted this beer (I purchased a six pack) at Capone's Bottle Shop in Norristown, PA), I believed it was the best IPA that I've ever tasted...Citrus, Hops, etc... Everything that you would expect from a good IPA. Then I purchased a case of it. It was a different story! The citrus bite was replaced by a hint of sourness. Bottle after bottle I tried with the same result. Who knows, maybe I got a bad case. But I'm not willing to shell out another 30 plus dollars to give it a second try.

The question remains: What does the real "Two Hearted Ale" taste like? My first experience or my second?

I even emailed the President of Bell's with no response. Maybe they don't want my expendable beer dollars.

1.81/5  rDev -57.6%

Far too bitter for my tastes

1.91/5  rDev -55.3%

This beer pours a clear gold color with a thin head and no lacing. The aroma is of lemons with faint hints of grapefruit and caramel. The flavor is an odd mix of mild grapefruit, lemons, very sweet malt, and bread. There's a bit of Ginger Ale hiding in the background. As it warms any complexity fades and bitter hops come through. It's mouthfeel is medium. Bells Two Hearted Ale is an ok beer, slightly recommended.

I agree with much of the citrus and floral attributes given, however, I was put off by over carbonation and a strange metallic after taste...

Easily the worst "IPA" I've ever tasted...if you can actually call it an IPA. Has about as much hops and character as a Bass ale. I am flummoxed as to how this beer is so sought after and over hyped. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is FAR more enjoyable simply because you don't have the preconceived notion that it's supposed to blow your mind. On a 100 point scale, I'd say this is respectfully deserving of 75, and that's generous. Can't say enough bad things about it, so I'll stop. Sorry, but I highly recommend looking elsewhere, anywhere.

2.04/5  rDev -52.2%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

2.04/5  rDev -52.2%

Tasted like a poorly-made boiler-maker. I see the reviews here and I scratch my head and wonder why. Perhaps my beer tastes and expectations are too basic and backward. Could not wait for it to be gone. Each sip popped an intolerably sweet flavor in my mouth. It created nice internal warmth, but burned like a watered down shot of bourbon going down. Some have said the alcohol taste is missing, but it was the most prevalent taste/feel I could recognize. I am no expert, so I am not sure how much to trust my rating.

2.09/5  rDev -51.1%

Thanks awalk1227!

Bottle dated 3/29/11

A: Golden, hazy, unfiltered. Frothy white head, sticky.

S: Im surprised and disappointed by the aroma, not pulling alot out of this one. Saltine or stale cracker malt profile. Hop aromas are mostly watered down pine.

T: Not much going on here either. Cracker like malt profile accented with pine sap hops, finish is dry and bitter. Not much citrus, no zing. Drinkable but boring.

M: High carbonation combined with copious amounts of generic bitterness creates a mouthfeel that is just short of scathing.

O: Sorry, I dont get it.

2.11/5  rDev -50.6%

It tastes like what the label looks like.
Really bitter, and reminds me of home here at the Great Lakes.

2.12/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is a very typical IPA. I don't enjoy the bitterness that comes with IPAs.

2.28/5  rDev -46.6%

Bell's makes some great Stouts. Their Oatmeal Stout is amazing, but I haven't been too impressed with their other offerings. I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is just another horribly over hopped American ale. I know it's an IPA and hoppiness is a characteristic of the style, but I just don't think there is enough maltiness and body in this brew to support all the hops. All I can taste is a sickening amount of floral and citrus hops. To me it seems very unbalanced and astringent. In my opinion it certainly doesn't belong in the BA top 50.

2.36/5  rDev -44.7%

A - watered down honey color, tall creamy white head. Better than I expected.

S - typical IPA hops plus some fruit.

T - mild hops but a flavor like a bunch mixed old fruit.

M - medium coating with a good amount of tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - not my bag but I could see other people liking this.

2.45/5  rDev -42.6%

Weird after taste, surprisingly bitter

2.46/5  rDev -42.4%

Henceforth I'm going to call this beer Fishbine. Not because it tastes like fish but because even the fish on the label ain't biii-ne into the hype of the Two Hearted Ale by Bell's. Bell's makes great beer but they also make craft beers and in doing so there are always extremes. Much more brusk than the aftertaste of Oberon, this beer has a citrus bite that rivals the pungent meat of the rind. It literally is rind beer. I know that it is lauded as a summertime delicacy but it is more like drinking the broth of a lemorange peel that sat out in the sun too long and then was chilled. No goodness here.

2.47/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am not a fan of IPA's. Two Hearted ale is a gold color. The aroma is well balanced with potent smells of wheat and grape.

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I do not typically like IPAs, so this is not one of my favorites. It has a nice golden orange color, a slightly fishy smell, and floral and hoppy notes.

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

- cloudy orange
- very hoppy
- smells citrus
- very bitter after taste

2.51/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I am averse to hops, so take that into consideration when considering my evaluation

2.54/5  rDev -40.5%

*did not like would not buy*
app: orange ish, murky, not great looking, like bad cider.

smell: nice hops.. a lil bit of sharpnes, that i do not like. good malts in the nose as well. fruit snacks and citrus!

taste: water , then hops, but nice ones! then ICK, odd acid paint chemical back of the throat! it is mild, but its still there. there at all is to much! so sad.. all the other flavors are nice, its balanced and good, but acidic and nasty.

mf: refreshing and crisp but to frothy.

drinkable?? no

2.58/5  rDev -39.6%

Overwhelmingly taste of spice that lingers on and on and on.

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

Out of 12oz bottle. This two hearted beer one broke my heart. I had heard much about this beer and expectations were perhaps too high. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Just too much of thick and hearty beer for my palate. I do enjoy other Bells Beers (Best Brown, Hopslam, etc.)which work really well for my tastebuds. Obviously this beer is a crowd pleaser, just not my type of brew.

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%

Bell's distribution where I live is really spotty, even for something as ubiquitous as Two Hearted, so when I saw a six at my local bottle shop, I snapped it up eager to see what all the fuss was about.

Served from a bottle into a pint glass. Per the label, it was bottled 1-28-13.

A: More golden than orange. 1-finger, fast fading head. Some lacing, but not much.

S: A bit of piney resin straight from the bottle, but once in the glass, nothing, nada, zilch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I poured a beer with so little nose.

T: Quite a bit maltier than I expected. Smooth with little hop character. What hops there were left a slightly bitter aftertaste that faded quickly.

M: Probably the best aspect of this beer IMO. Smooth, somewhat creamy/silky with just enough of an astringent finish to wake up the tongue.

O: I know this is the quintessential go-to beer for a lot of BAs here, but I just don't get it. I think part of it is that it's classified as an IPA, but I found it much too timid to earn that title. If it were labeled as an APA, I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher. I can't say this isn't a "good" beer and very well made, but it didn't really impress. It did drink smoothly and if the ABV were quite a bit lower, it would make a nice session beer, but it really didn't live up to my expectations for an IPA.

2.67/5  rDev -37.5%

A: Translucent, dark gold. White foam has large bubbles. Leaves a faint trail of lacing.

S: Sweet, some wheat, touch of honey.

T: Hops hit right away. Very floral. Herbs. Slight sweetness. But not really complex. Almost like an over-hoppy macro. Not really impressed.

M: Fairly well-balanced carbonation.

D: Not really flavorful enough to want more than one. Just overwhelming hops, but otherwise flat.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.