2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,713 | Reviews: 2,962 | Show All Ratings:
fscottkey

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Cloudy rust color. Generates a 1 finger persistent head.

S: Slight floral and hop smells.

T: Hops and not much else. Nothing very powerful pushing through

M: Very easy going down - almost too easy. Like water.

O: My first sip made me think it was fairly weak for an IPA. That combined with the lack of a real presence in mouth feel left me slightly disappointed. I expected more depth and complexity for such a highly regarded IPA. It just didn't deliver for me.

* - As always - when I am this far "off" the norm I will try this again in the future and make sure I am comfortable with my review.

03-14-2014 01:10:49 | More by fscottkey
Ohiovania

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured very nicely with a perfect amount of head that stayed for a nice visit and laced well in the glass. Smell was of hops and citrus fruit and wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting. Taste was somewhat citrusy, hoppy, with a brief staccato in flavor, and finished with good bitterness and very light piney flavor. Mouthfeel was good and it was well carbonated. One was enough though and I won't pick this brew up again for a while.

03-28-2009 15:43:02 | More by Ohiovania
nubz77

West Virginia

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Golden hued with a decent head. The smell is decent with lots of citrus varieties, the hops definitely make themselves known. Carbonation is right on par.

The only problem is it tastes like I'm drinking a floral arrangement. I've heard lots of people use 'grapefruit' to define hop flavors but I've never tasted more than just hints of that until I had this beer, and my god is it pungent. There are hops all over the place, but it's just too flowery for my palate.

12-03-2011 16:01:16 | More by nubz77
kojevergas

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

It's my birthday! I just review Expedition Stout and was really disappointed, but I'm hoping this one is as good as it's meant to be. Here you go, Bell's, this is your second chance. Bottled 08/29/12. 7.0% ABV confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I've hearing about this one for awhile. 355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger frothy creamy beige head of good thickness and retention. Colour is a murky copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks like any standard IPA ought to.

Sm: Floral, pine, and citrus (lemon) notes - in that order. Light soap. Even a bit of bubblegum. There's some pleasant clean malts lurking beneath the hops. The soap concerns me (I've brewed my fair share of too-long-in-primary IPAs), but I'm hoping it's good. An average strength aroma.

T: Soap, clean malts, floral hops, more soap, some light grapefruit, and lemon on the finish. Imbalanced; the salty soap dominates. What's the hype about? Very underwhelming. It's clean, though, and it does hide its ABV well. No alcohol comes through. Definite salt on the climax; almost gose-esque.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and not quite refreshing. Suits the flavours alright.

Dr: Man, Bell's is pissing me off a bit. I don't get the hype about this brewery at all, and I've tried two of their higher rated brews. This one is so damn soapy it's hard to enjoy. Get rid of the soap and then we'll talk, Bell's. What a disappointment. Drinkable, but pedestrian at best.

I initially gave it a C-, but it does get better as it warms.

C

11-04-2012 02:58:00 | More by kojevergas
witster18

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting beer.
This smells of IPA and initially it tastes of IPA with strong pink grapefruit and copper malt backbone... but then there's a little bite of fake-fruity-artificialsweetness... reminds me of Leiny's sunset wheat... almost like somebody dropped a shot of that in here... WHICH IS NOT a good thing... it really hits in the aftertaste and really turns me in the wrong direction on this beer...
I give it props for the taste up front... and for the fact that it completely hides it's alcohol content... in that aspect I'm not sure if I've ever had a 7%'er that didn't have some alcohol bite... but that off-put-taste of fake sweetener is just turning me off of this one and it will be my last.
traded a 6 pack of Dortmunder Gold for two bottles(one of these) and a grolwer of Highlands organic... great quantity trade but terrible 'taste' trade...
I'll leave the two-hearted on the shelf and go with the Columbus Pale Ale or Liberty Ale the next time...

01-24-2009 21:12:47 | More by witster18
stephens101

Oklahoma

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%

An off-white head sits atop a hazy yellow-orange brew. Smells of malts, subtle grapefruit and herb. Tastes grainy at the forefront, followed by some earthy hops, a dollop of sugar and a mild fruitiness. Smooth and light to medium bodied. Has a slightly creamy core, but remains dry overall. Not exactly what I was expecting form this one, but it drinks fairly well, so I can't complain too much.

07-24-2012 23:15:30 | More by stephens101
jdhilt

New Hampshire

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Cloudy amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Starts balanced, sweetness in the background but hops dominate as this IPA is true to style. $1.89 for a 12oz bottle from Chalet Party Goshen, In.

12-26-2006 23:53:18 | More by jdhilt
JesteR14

A- Nice brown color, one finger head that doesn't last long. Small bubbles coming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Strong IPA smell but some malt and some other flavors in this smell i can put my finger on.

T- malty PA with a hint of orange, lots of pack from the booze that makes this a more flavorful sipping beer. Citrus and floral hops gives it a sort of balance.

M- Big taste for me, that leaves a sharp after taste. The carbonation is nice and the citrus balences the flavor.

D- Not a top on my list, but a good choice for somebody trying to get a good american IPA.

03-07-2011 06:42:43 | More by JesteR14
HopHeadRyan

A - hazy golden, quick to disappear head

S - Tropical fruits, pineapple juice, maybe a hint of flowers/pine, a little too much fruit-juicy sweetness for my liking

T - Astringently stinging citrus fruity bitterness, not quite balanced out by the malt character. A little less balanced than I would have thought from such a popular IPA.

M - medium to full body, syrupiness, stinging astringency, not great. A little alcohol boozy warmth noticed at the end of the finish.

Overall - A very tropical IPA. I'd like to have this one tap and fresh and see if it makes the cut. I've had it many times before but this is my first review. Definitely not a bad ipa and one I'm sure I'll have again, just not as astounding as its hype!

Cheers!

10-06-2011 22:48:02 | More by HopHeadRyan
viverlee

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

Every beer judged solely on its merits. But do you have to admit this is the ugliest label you’ve ever seen? Like some half-eaten fish floating in an e. coli laced Michigan swamplake.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Hazy, thin pennies, a wee bit watery. I’m not sure it’s strong enough to hold a meaningful head, even if it wanted to.

NOSE: Fruity sourdough and buttered popcorn. More fruit than hops, more malt than expected. Very decent.

MOUTH: Fickle beer, maybe deceptive. The start, it’s real nice. Sugared grapefruit and almond cake. But that gives way, a little too soon. Acerbic, canned paint, hand soap. Drink this one quickly.

BA Rating: 95

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83

07-12-2012 02:42:29 | More by viverlee
woodske1

3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Very average beer. I can't see why it is ranked this high overall. Not a strong taste, very generic. I think the cheap labeling makes it taste even more generic.

Nothing is bad about this beer, but nothing is that great either. It's worth trying, but just one.

03-03-2009 17:01:02 | More by woodske1
GossageBrewery

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured this american IPA out of a 12 oz bottle and into a pint glass. The AIPA poured a hazy golden color and produced a nice thick 2 finger width head. Head retention on this beer is excellent and the lacing is one of the best I have seen. The aroma is nice and hoppy, a little above average for an AIPA. There were some notes of citrus. The taste of the beer is a little watery- Its a little weak with the amount of malt. Light body, it makes it a very drinkable IPA but I dont really look for that in an IPA. After the thinness subsides, there is a pronounced hop bite, but it does not linger. The finish has hints of citrus and it is slightly dry. Overall there is nothing special about this beer- does not come close to my top ten list of IPAs. But hey..its not like Bells makes a Kolsh right?

04-07-2011 22:53:32 | More by GossageBrewery
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Strong cedary, piney, grapefruity, citrusy nose, no doubt due to the hops. Smooth sweetish maltyness. Sharp bitterness at the end, with some saltyness and some alcohol noticed, lingering bitterness. Grapefruity and a bit woody?. I don't know, to me this wasn't very exciting, a bit one dimensional, It had a lot of flavour, but maybe it was a bit too sharp for me?. Still, quite alright. Another gift from feloniousmonk.

05-24-2003 07:04:53 | More by rastaman
Prufrock

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

slightly hazy yellowish orange with an inch of foamy white head that effervesces and falls quickly.

tons of piney hops hit the aroma first; leaves, grapefruits, peaches and gumdrops after. a touch of sugary malts balances out the very nice aroma.

piney bitter hops in the taste as well with a harshly drying, bitter finish. high carbonation and a coating, oily bitterness. little to no malts in the taste. overall needs a little more balance.

03-25-2006 04:12:30 | More by Prufrock
righlander

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Ok, first off... i have heard alot of people talking about how awesome this beer is so i hope that doesn't affect my review so here goes. pours a cloudy deep gold to light amber from a sturdy 12oz glass. two finger head with good lacing. smell is fruity and not as hoppy as i had hoped it would be. it tastes good but its not as hopped as i wanted for an American IPA. but none the less very well balanced. the malt almost outweighs the hops in my opinion though, not that it makes it unbalanced but, from what i was hearing this was supposed to be a hoppy IPA (which i love) and sadly, it's not. surely a solid ale but, in no way really hoppy. the look, mouthfeel and drinkability are there... but i wanted more hops! good none the less though. but strong abv.

UPDATE!!! these things kick your ass! Very very buzzable... potency wise...I can't get through a 6'er. And i'm a DRUNKO!

05-18-2008 04:02:55 | More by righlander
jkendrick

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a decent foamy white head. The head recedes quickly and there is a nice lacing.

Aroma: It has a pleasant aroma, typically hoppy for an IPA. Citrus is most dominant.

Mouthfeel: Thin- to medium-bodied. Some oiliness on the lips and moderate carbonation.

Taste: Bitter but not particularly well-balanced. The taste is not particularly interesting nor nuanced. The aftertaste is one of the worst I've had in a "craft beer," leaving my mouth feeling pasty and my tongue feeling like it does when I have just woken up in the morning.

Overall Impressions: This is my first foray into Bell's beers. I have to say -- particularly after hearing raves for so long -- I am not impressed. I hope to pick up a few more from this brewery on this trip, but as a hophead, this was hugely disappointing.

12-26-2008 01:49:56 | More by jkendrick
sellmeagod

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The fish hearts beating on the label lead us to a quite enjoyable beer.

Smells of vegetables. A strong and even hoppy flavor that does never get too bitter. Strong, hearty, river-forging brew. Crisp finish and no tastes lingering long. You can crack these forgetting the 7.1 abv, which is a plus.

09-02-2010 01:43:05 | More by sellmeagod
vitrael

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

A: Slightly cloudy gold-colored pour with a nice bone-white 1-finger head. Great retention and lots of lacing.

S: An somewhat lacking hoppy nose--my bottle isn't old, but it doesn't smell like it's been recently dry hopped. Still a light fresh hop aroma that appetizes me.

T: Nice aggressive hop bitterness with strong piney and spicy aspect--Centennial hops. The grapefruit flavor of freshly dryhopped Centennial is missing (as expected from a beer like Hop Stoopid). A slightly sweet and bready malt flavor cowers behind the lingering hop bitterness. Familiar and similar beer--Three Floyd's PA, Alpha King, although that is a different style in which I am more ready to accept a lack of strong hop aroma and flavor.

M: Average carbonation and on the thin side that I would rate A in a sessionable PA but here it's a little lacking.

05-31-2011 23:03:55 | More by vitrael
HopsHopenstein

Connecticut

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz bottle dated 12/21/11 received in a trade as an extra. Poured into a Portsmouth Brewery pint glass. Review from notes on 2/2/12.

A- 1 finger of white head which left nice lacing around the glass. Color is the typical hazy golden orange seen in most Ipas. Some carbonation off the bottom of the glass but not much.

S- Orange, grapefruit, citrusy hops, with a touch of sweet bready malts. Not a big aroma, but pleasant.

T- Taste is lacking for me, was hoping for the taste to at least match the aroma. In my oppinion it lands short of the mark. Its a clean finish but there is not much there in terms of hop characters and bready malts. Which are the characters Im looking for in the taste of an Ipa. Wasnt much in the way of bitterness either.

M- Light bodied with decent carbonation

O- Had hopes for this beer but it fell flat for me. Wasnt impressed and wouldnt search this one out. Would give another try if received as an extra in a trade might have just had an off bottle.

02-21-2012 21:57:01 | More by HopsHopenstein
goblue3509

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a white head. The smell is of hops with some citrus maybe orange and grapefruit. The hop smell is more earthy piney hops. The taste is of piney hops but not over powering it is balanced out with some citrus notes. The mouthfeel is good, there is a good amount of carbonation to this beer. Overall the drinkability on this beer is good. It is a little weaker in the hop taste than some other IPA's this would be a good starter ipa.

07-14-2009 00:07:11 | More by goblue3509
kuchen75

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with one finger of head.
S: Trying to figure out which breakfast cereal this reminds me of. Slightly floral, but emphasis on the slightly.
T: Strange, I would almost believe I'm drinking a very hoppy wheat beer. Lemon, straw dominate.
M: Nice mouthfeel for the style, maybe my taste buds are going crazy tonight.
D: Goes down easy, but I'm just surprised by what I'm tasting here. Had heard good things about this beer but it seems too sweet and not very satisfying for my IPA needs.

(Note: This was me trying to describe a non-fresh IPA.)

04-21-2010 00:33:54 | More by kuchen75
xanok

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange with fairly average amount of white head that disappears quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell-Citrusy in smell with a caramel backbone. A bit piney as wel.

Taste-Pretty straightforward. Grapefruit and other citrus notes with a decent malt backbone. Hops are abrasive. Lingering sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel-High carbonation, even too much. Medium body, not easy drinking, but not hard either.

Overall-Painfully average. I wanted to really like this beer. I got one once as an extra a few months back and didn't like it much then. Then bought a sixer of it while in Indiana for DLD and same result now.

05-12-2011 20:32:42 | More by xanok
grogged

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Purchased in 12 oz bottle at Trader Joe's.

Pours a pretty, slight reddish gold w/ very little head and a slightly clingy lacing. Smell was mild yet it had a medicinal overtone to it that was also present in the taste and finish. It's light and smooth on the palate. Almost reminded me of Hamm's Golden Draft without the macro carbonation. The medicinal aftertaste doesn't linger long in the finish and is replaced by a pleasant, malty flavor. Overall, it's a pleasant beer. But I was hoping for more from the reviews I've read. I may purchase it again.

05-15-2012 02:55:59 | More by grogged
JohnF

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Tried this beer a while back and again last week in the Outer Banks, NC. Perhaps this batch was placed under too much heat? Anyway, I like the IPAs with a bit more body.
This one is lighter, very crisp, with a grapefruit taste. A basically good IPA, but one of the few beers that I largely disagree with the score listed on the site.

08-29-2013 21:45:49 | More by JohnF
jujubeast6000

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Reviewed 10/12/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a big head, white, foamy, creamy, good lacing. Cloudy amber color, good bubbles, fizz. Very strong hoppy aroma, fresh smelling. Bitter taste, some sweet mid-taste, somewhat smooth/bitter aftertaste. Creamy. A good IPA, but a little strong and unbalanced. A little acidic.

01-27-2009 05:52:53 | More by jujubeast6000
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.