Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

1.73/5  rDev -59.5%

When I first tasted this beer (I purchased a six pack) at Capone's Bottle Shop in Norristown, PA), I believed it was the best IPA that I've ever tasted...Citrus, Hops, etc... Everything that you would expect from a good IPA. Then I purchased a case of it. It was a different story! The citrus bite was replaced by a hint of sourness. Bottle after bottle I tried with the same result. Who knows, maybe I got a bad case. But I'm not willing to shell out another 30 plus dollars to give it a second try.

The question remains: What does the real "Two Hearted Ale" taste like? My first experience or my second?

I even emailed the President of Bell's with no response. Maybe they don't want my expendable beer dollars.

1.88/5  rDev -56%

This beer pours a clear gold color with a thin head and no lacing. The aroma is of lemons with faint hints of grapefruit and caramel. The flavor is an odd mix of mild grapefruit, lemons, very sweet malt, and bread. There's a bit of Ginger Ale hiding in the background. As it warms any complexity fades and bitter hops come through. It's mouthfeel is medium. Bells Two Hearted Ale is an ok beer, slightly recommended.

1.96/5  rDev -54.1%

Tasted like a poorly-made boiler-maker. I see the reviews here and I scratch my head and wonder why. Perhaps my beer tastes and expectations are too basic and backward. Could not wait for it to be gone. Each sip popped an intolerably sweet flavor in my mouth. It created nice internal warmth, but burned like a watered down shot of bourbon going down. Some have said the alcohol taste is missing, but it was the most prevalent taste/feel I could recognize. I am no expert, so I am not sure how much to trust my rating.

1.98/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.