Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,330 | Hads: 13,210
4.6/5  rDev +8%

I've never really been a big "Hop-head" but this beer may change the way I see things. Some IPA's are just too bitter, but this one mixes the perfect amount of hop bittersweetness, sweet malty goodness, and a grand portion of love. It's floral, it's fruity, it's sweet up front and dry on the finish. The perfect American IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Into a pint glass, pours a soft, clear amber, a big ass frothy off-white head with loads of lacing. The aroma is powerful, resinous, piney hops exploding from the bottle, retching the air with citrus and fruit, fantastic. And if my olfactories weren't sent into overdrive, my taste buds sure were. The bitterness is jarring, the hops biting, the mouth delighting, the malts enlivening (and balancing, for sure). Its a sensory cornucopia, but not quite perfect. One could ask for a little more malt to balance, a little more body to hold, but thats cents on the dollar on this fine, bad ass beer. There isn't much to say about this beer that hasn't already been said, so I'll conclude; highly drinkable, highly recommended, yum yum

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a great amber/orange color. Awesome hop aroma. Citrus/piney notes very apparent. Solid, long lasting white head with good lace throughout the beer.

Taste is well balanced with a great bittering hop character. Not overwhelming, but perfect for this style. Finish is dry with a citrus note. Excellent beer. Well made. Kudos to Bells for making great beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just pouring this beer made me think to myself 'damn, why didn't I drink more of this when it was more readily available?!'

A - Golden hazy in color with a creamy head that teases the top of the glass. Foam hangs around for a while and leaves almost chunks behind and an unevenly laced glass.

S - Yum! A bunch of sweet, a bit citrus, and hops! Wrap that up with a bit of malty caramel. Such a lovely beer

T - Sweet hops and caramelly malts. This beer tugs at your heart strings in both directions.... hmm Two Hearted Ale. Now I get it!

M - Smooth with some carbonation. Not dry. Not a huge aftertaste, but you won't forget it. Really great beer.

D - Drink ability? YES! Bring me another case and another for tomorrow. I don't wanna share! Now leave me alone so I can enjoy my beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stoked to finally get to try a Bell's beer. Two Hearted is all I could have hoped for. Pours a deep amber with a nice white head. The hop profile is a beauty and takes control of this beer from sip one. The balance is very nice. Oh so smooth of a brew. I certainly hope this is not the last of the Two Hearted I sample. I love it. These better come east!

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, I have loved this beer from the first time I tried it although it put a damper on my LSAT scores the next morning. Which therein lies the problem. Its so tasty you want to keep drinking them, and they are 7.00% which means if you drink a six pack you have really drank way more than a six pack. This was my first real introduction to Bell's and it remains a mainstay in my fridge, and I just so happened to catch this one on sale for the bargain price of $8.99 a sixer. I figured after all these years I would review this pleasuredome of a beer. I mean Coleridge would have surely written about this one had he lived long enough to try it. What doesn't it have. Its a beautiful ale.

The color: A golden ruby color.

The smell: a gorgeous piney sweet nectar, not as much floral and tropical as mountainous and northern.

The taste: Now this is where it gets real. It has a balance like no other, and for the price its a steal. Its lovely, sweet, yet piney and bitter in the perfect kind of way. Its the foundation on which the Hopslam is built upon. Not as strong, but just a great brew all the way around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottles. My go to IPA. cant go wrong with this one. Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked batch 7168 into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hued orange color with a half finger white foamy head that diminished slowly to light white sticky lacing. Aroma is rich of floral hops, nicely accented by sweet malt pairings. Taste is absolutely incredible, excellent balance between hops and malt, yet far more complex, it's like nothing I've tasted before. At first taste, this IPA tarts off with a quick hoppy bite that is rich in citrus and floral notes, before giving way to a softer, caramelly sweet maltiness that leaves you wanting more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, slick on the tongue, coats the mouth with a nice light oily feeling. Very, very drinkable, I think I may have a new favorite session beer, I will seek out more of this beer very soon.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

poured from bottle into a slightly chilled pint glass.

appearance: nice pale straw-amber color with some hazing.

smells of fresh pine, citrus and slight malt.

tastes of hops and nice balanced malts. not as much hops as smell would dictate. very smooth with just enough a hop-bite. this pairs perfectly with a spicy pineapple habenero salsa.

mouthfeel is about right very easy to drink.

very drinkable and very balanced smooth ipa!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is golden honey-amber with a half-finger fluffy ivory head that sits well. Nice splotches of lace left behind.

S: Wow. This is what I want an IPA to smell like. Fresh C-hops are there in force. Grapefruity, lemony and juicy hops. Very, very pleasant nose.

T: Foundation of lighter malt is then subsumed by hops. Think juicy, sugar-coated grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine, though with the grapefruit the more dominant flavor. Finishes with a slightly grassy lemony taste to it as well.

M: Lighter than medium in heft, with carbonation perhaps a bit more active than I'd like. But all in all it's real smooth in the mouth, so maybe that carbonation isn't too much after all (<bumps score to 4.5>).

D: If this isn't a 5 then I want to meet the beer that is. Immensely drinkable. I had one with dinner (some sort of Moroccan-type chicken dish with cilantro) and had been planning to save the last of the sixer for some other special occasion but couldn't resist. Inasmuch as I cannot get this beer in NY, I am uncertain when I will get to sample this one again. For that I am sad.

Notes: My wife was drinking a Stone IPA while I was drinking this, so I did the Pepsi challenge. We both liked the Two Hearted better. It's lighter and a bit finer, but went down more easily. If I had access to this in NY, I would buy it by the case.

Batch 10216

A-golden amber with a nice white head
S-nice citrsy hops invite me in...
T-amazing. Sweet grapefruit taste that really wowed me for the first time in a while. I always forget how great this beer is
M-medium bodied and so smooth
D-rediculosuly drinkable, awesome!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received this 12 oz. bottle in a recent trade with froggyfrog. Poured to a pint glass. What's the deal with the fish on the label? and the name: two hearted? I digress...

A: Hazy golden color, very warm with some shades of amber and a huge frothy off-white head, at least 2 fingers. Dissolves v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y... Busy streams of carbonation and nice lacing.

S: Wow, they weren't kidding about "enormous hops" on the label...big fruity, resinous and floral hops explode out of the glass. Sweet malts are present, too. Nose is predominantly tangerine/citrus and sourdough bread. Smells wonderful.

T: Hoppy and juicy sweet. Great full flavors of citrus and loads of grainy/sugary malt. A nearly perfect IPA, holds it's own with any of the best that my area (Pacific NW) can offer...great balance.

M: Crisp and clean, with a medium body and full mouthfeel. MY tongue curled at the sides, salivating from the copious juicy hops. Surprisingly sweet thoughout, but with a nice lingering bitterness and smooth citrus-hopped backbone.

D: Simply a wonderful IPA! No doubt I'd have another of these - fortunately I received two in the trade. Thanks again, JE!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fresh filled growler from a friend who found a way to import a keg to New York served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly clouded orange/yellow color with a off-white head that left streaks of lacing on the glass.

S - pine and citrus hop aromas fill the nose.

T - piney, citrusy bitter hops with just enough malt to keep my tongue from falling off.

F - medium bodied, somewhat slick with mild carbonation.

D - hell yeah!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I’m marking my 300th review on BA with this write up on Bell’s Two Hearted. It’s a special treat for me. Even though I grew up in Kalamazoo I have spent my adult (beer drinking) in Texas and California—places where Michigan beers are not distributed.

Since it is now New Year’s eve I thought I’d share a story of last year when I shared some Two Hearted with my mother. She smelled it and said it smelled wonderful, just full of light citrus and grapefruit and floral aromas. … and then she tasted it. Her face soured and she handed it back to me. Of course I gladly took it back. That was probably the first and only time she tried an IPA. I love telling this story to friends, and especially about Two Hearted.

The Two Hearted I’m enjoying over the holiday break came from a six pack bottled mid-December so I know it’s fresh. Looks great, the color of golden-honey with nice clarity and a wonderful head of foam topping it. My mother’s aroma description still holds—floral, citrus pine with some grapefruit zest and spicy hops rounding it out. Tastes piney and bold with some resin. A bit of chew gives it heft, and there’s a pleasant hop bitterness but a sweetness from the excellent malt bill balances it out. Fantastic finish. And, incidentally, wonderful art on the bottle. Feliz año Nuevo!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-Golden in color with a fine head. Riddled with bubbles.

S-Big fruity hops. Clementines. Very smooth smell. Malt is nicely intertwined. Smells like a damn good brew.

T-Hello! Absolutely delectible hop profile. Not violently bitter but more refined and palatable. Fruity hops take over my tongue. Subtle malt, hop foward. I get an almost bubblegum taste on the back end. Delicious and modestly unique.

M-Exceptional mouthfeel. Well carbonated yet slick. Sticks to your tongue. Hop flavors never go away.

D-The alcohol is completely silenced. A 7% brew that could easily sneak up on you especially because the flavor is savory. I wish I could get this beer all the time. Why won't you reside in MA with me? Would be my go-to beer if I could get it locally.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Light copper, orange with 2 fingers of white head that leaves sticky lacing every where.

S - Citrus and piney hops, resiny and slightly spicy with a decent malt backbone.

T - Nicely balanced bitterness with sweet caramel and bready malts. Citrus, resiny and spicy hops are the centerpiece.

M - On the light side of medium with good carbonation and slightly creamy. Slightly dry finish.

D - One of the easiest summer drinking IPA's i have had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic. Acquired in a trade with Wutz. Thanks buddy!

Pours a hazy golden orange. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Great retention, loads of lacing.

Aroma is big time citrus and pine. Grapefruit is the dominant citrus smell. Malt sweetness behind the hops.

Taste is all hops. Pretty good hop balance between the citrus and the pine. Excellent pale malt backbone.

Smooth drinker. Fairly light body, but still has a nice creaminess. Appropriately carbonated and highly drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a dead on golden color (what I imagine stacks of gold bullion look like in the right light)

S - Very citrusy and hoppy smell with a hit of fruit or spice.

T - Plenty of hops and a different type of hop on the beginning and end of the tongue. Fantastic taste and bit.

M - Lightly bites the tongue making the mouth want more.

D - The taste is fantastic, the aroma is wonderful, the alcohol isn't noticeable. If it wasn't a $13-15 six pack I would keep a bottle in my fridge at all times!

12 floz bottle with 9279 on the back into old speckeld pint glass

A - good light amber colour, maybe like light tangerine or clementine. big three finger head, solid, made of medium large bubbles, with a slightly orange colour. the head retains pretty well.

S - exceptionally good nose, great citrusy hops. the nose is so incredibly bursting with the scent of the hops. the nose exudes lemon juice, pine needles, and grapefruit pith. there is not much more, but the sheer intensity and deliciousness of the nose earns it a high marking

T - a real great beer, this one earns the kudos it gets. the initial is a tamed bitterness with a big malt backing, keeping the full bitterness at bay. the hops are more piney than grapefruity, but the overall taste is of the classic hop taste, with maybe a bit of astringent bitterness at the back of the palate. the finish is really where this beer takes off: the grapefruit taste rockets up and combines with the alcohol to make a lightly burning, bitter, and dry taste that finishes a bit on the herbal side of things; the malt, however, manages to get one last kick in and takes the very end of the finish. the aftertaste is light bitterness of hops and an overall malty feeling.

MF&D - the beer perfectly drinkable, compeltely and utterly. in fact the beer is soo good that even claire, who doesnt like hops, really likes this brew. I dont know what a perfect Am. IPA should taste like, so I will curb the rating a bit.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Golden amber, nice, fluffy, foamy, white head, some lace, head stays like a dollop of sour cream all the way until the glass is empty

S: Nice hops aroma, citrusy and grapefruit, but also orange, some floral hints too, nice hop profile

T: Milder than I expected bitterness wise, hops and malt are both equally present and in perfect balance, delicate malt sweetness, hops are very flavorful without overwhelming the palate

M: Pleasant medium, very mild dryness, smooth

D: Very high, perfectly balanced

Notes: This is one of my all time favorite IPAs. Everything is in perfect balance, but doesn't sacrifice anything. The hops don't overwhelm you, but all the flavor is still there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It is finally time to review my favourite IPA... (well, it is tied with Surly for the lead :D)

It pours a light copper color with a decent white head and nice lacing. It is a bit cloudy from the yeast in the bottle. The smell is very fruity and floral, along with some pine and citrus hop smells.

The taste of this beer is a beautiful contrast between sweet, fruity malts and spicy, piny and citrus hops. It is so smooth and flavourful. Something about the bottle conditioning makes it silky smooth, like no other IPA. It is really great.

Something about this beer (yeast perhaps) makes it much easier to drink than others. It has tuns of flavour but is not harsh or overpowering in the slightest. If I could, I would go back and give every beer I have ever reviewed a lower drink-ability rating, because this beer is king!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The label on the bottle I had was different than the BA pic. Mine was of a trout's head depicted in various shades of green.

This is a cloudy beer between amber and gold in color. A very nice, sticky, resilient white meringue type head reminiscent of a good homebrew.

Wonderful citrusy hops in the nose upon smell and after the sip. Nice maltiness in the finish. Slight chewiness in the body but crisp enough in the finish to prepare me for the next sip.

I'm not a huge hop head and this is a fairly hoppy beer but one that I could easily drink in a session. I am glad I decided to add this one to my mixed sixer.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip. Packaged 06/22/12. Thanks to Matt for this one!

A - Pours a deep, vibrant orange color with a thick foamy head, slightly off-white. Fantastic head retention and lacing. Looks excellent.

S - Juicy tropical hops upfront. Pineapple, mango, light grapefruit, orange, and boatloads of peach. Earthy pine notes underneath that as well. The peachy hop might be the most prominent aroma here, honestly. A thin layer of caramel malt for some sweetness and balance, but this aroma is all about the bright, fruity hops. Floral, citrusy, and everything I love in a good IPA.

T - Surprisingly big malt presence, which is the first thing that hits me. Toasty and bready caramel malt, with some biscuity notes. The hops are definitely here, but not exactly as the nose had implied. There's a fair helping of mango, pineapple, and grapefruit, but the peachy sweetness is really toned down. There's also a bigger pine character in the finish, giving it a much more robust and resinous feel. A nice blend of floral, tropical, piney hops fade into a long lasting bitter finish and aftertaste. Not a ton of balance here, but it isn't really needed; the hop profile here is awesome.

M - Low but prickly carbonation with a medium bodied weight. Lingering bitterness, with a slightly sticky feel. Fairly smooth and easy drinking all around.

D - For me, this beer didn't quite live up to the hype. However, this should really stand as a benchmark for what a good American IPA should be. This beer had everything you would expect from the style, from the light toasty and bready caramel malt backbone, to the big, assertive hop presence in the finish. A nice balance between the piney/earthy/herbal hops, and the tropical/fruity ones as well. Altogether, this makes for a delicious and drinkable brew that any true beer lover should try at least once. Remarkable, but not quite world-class.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Clear orange brownish color. One finger white frothy head.
S:Excellent fresh grapefruit. In the middles it smells like fresh cut grash. Very resiny. Just a touch of biscuit.
T:Light caramel fullness all throughout. Big citrusy creamy grapefruit hoppiness.
M:Rich fat bubbles give it an awesome round feeling. Very creamy
D:This is by far one of the most well balanced IPA's. I love this beer, I can sit down a drink a ton of this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours cloudy copper color, citrus hoppy aroma, nice hop profile, crazy ass foamy clingy head. Juicy grapefruit-citrus flavors, medium bodied IPA with a nice rounded full mouthfeel, this may be the most drinkable IPA I have ever tasted, I just can't stop at one.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.