Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,280 | Hads: 12,972
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet aroma with beautiful hop notes . Hints of grassyness and summer. Pours a brilliant golden hue with a well developed lasting head. Belgian lace with bearded structures form as I drink this ale. Sweet forward flavors with a lingering bitter, but not walloped, finish. Very clean palate. Pine forests? Clean flavors. Excellent IPA. Top of class. Excellent accompaniment to foods that need some cleansing bitter notes, yet perfect to sip on the porch after a long day at work. (478 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden yellow with thin white head, nice retention, creamy lace.

S- Pungent, well balanced bouquet of hops. Sweet floral notes mixed with fruity citrus. Lemon, pine, grapefruit, honeysuckle.

T- Hops shine, sweet floral notes and hints of light sweet malts, honeysuckle, grapefruits, lemon, pine and earthy, grassy notes. Complex and juicy.

M- Crisp, refreshing, juicy, dry finish

D- Very refreshing, flavorful and enjoyable. A go-to beer as people say. (460 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Had to re-review this beer, as the first time I had it, it was of questionable age after having sat in the Iowa Beer Cache for quite some time -- original score: 3.8. Now that this beer is available in the state of Iowa, I have gone through several cases of fresh Two Hearted. It has actually supplanted Alpha King as my go-to beer, at least for the time being.

The beer pours to a light golden color with a slight peachy haze. Nice white head, though it doesn't last or lace all that well. Decent carbonation. Doesn't look all too impressive, but rest assured, there is liquid gold in that glass.

The smell is great. Has a nice lemony zest on top of the grapefruity centennial hop aroma. Slight malty sweetness below.

The taste is great. Very well balanced for an IPA. Great hops flavor without too much bitterness. Very refreshing. Very drinkable. Not too sweet, not too bitter or dry.

The body is medium to full with a crisp carbonation. Another great beer from Bell's. Make sure to check the freshness of your sample via Bell's Batch # lookup on their website, lest ye be disappointed in your old beer such as I was the first time I tried it. (1,158 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

I was surprised when, by some stroke of happenstance, I realized that I had not reviewed my favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I also hadn't had one in a couple of months (!), so I was eager to review it. From the looks of it, this bottle might have been on the shelf for a while. Served from a 12oz. bottle into the only glass I had available, a Chimay goblet.

Poured a murky, sickly shade of pale-orange. Not as yellow as I remember it usually being, but that may be due to the lighting. The 1.5-finger, rocky, off-white head dissipates at a normal rate. Lacing seems pretty good.

I love the nose on this beer. Its just so impeccably floral; its as if you were directly in a garden. Petal and plant stalk mix with loads of assertive lemony/citrus notes. This stuff smells like a hoppy brew; very appetizing.

Oh, yeah. That hits the spot. What can I say about Two Hearted that hasn' already been confirmed by legion? It hits all of the right pine and citrus hop flavors... only it hits them better than any other single IPA (in my un-exhaustive opinion anyway). Such a pleasant bitterness lingers on the tongue, compelling you to drink more.

Which you can, by the way, because even at 7% ABV, this is imminently drinkable. I always want to have more bottles. Nice, lightish mouthfeel with carbonation levels that don't lend a sharp prickly character. Just a smooth drinker all the way. I must also mention the awesome "hop-burps" that this beer delivers on.

I first drank this beer before signing up for Beer Advocate. The label, with its odd painting of a fish, forced me to purchase what I, then and now, refer to as "Fish Beer." I didn't know much about they style then, but I knew that I liked it. Nostalgia is not clouding my judgment. Two Hearted Ale remains a bright light in the beer world. Simply excellent. (1,826 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Apperance: Pours a golden hue with yeast clouding the glass. A thick stiff white head appears and falls within a minute or two leaving white lace around the rim.

Smell: Aroma of citrusy hops that lingers in the nose. This thing smells delicious.

Taste: Storng malt flavor followed by a very citrus/grapefuit hoppy flavor. A little bitter at the end kind of sharp but the aftertaste lingers of hops and dries out the mouth nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. This beer floats down your throat and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew that goes down very easily, you could drink this beer all year long.

Apparently two hearted is now a yearlong brew. If this is true expect some quality drinking all year. (764 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

medium tea brew in appearance. Head - nothing extravegant gone in <5 min. Smell:Nice hops burst light and pleasant. hops are very present, but not to the point of obnoxious. Not sure of mouthfeel but, Me Likey!!! Drinkability: Really???? This is definitately a very good beer. My fave!!! (290 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be one of the greatest American IPAs ever created. Period. Midwest represent!

My beer poured a hazy amber color with a massive, pillow-like head. The beer left an amazing head and lacing all the way down the glass. What a beautiful sight.

The aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Smell wafted as soon as the cap was lifted off the bottle. Sort of a skunky grapefruit aroma... very funky and nice. I love it.

The taste was perfectly balanced, especially for the hophead. A little caramel, a little sugar sugar, and lots of hoppy ironfist punch to the palate thickness. I love it.

What a drinkable brew. You could go so far to call it slammable.

Without question, an American Classic. Nuff said.

Booya! (720 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy golden color with a thin, off-white head.

S: Floral hops and some pineapple thrown in. The smell reminded me a bit of Sierra Nevada, but much much better.

T: Near perfect balance between some citrus hops and malts. Pineapple, grapefruit, citrus hops and a bit of funk as it warms. Really tasty. (304 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

12oz, no fresh date noted.
Poured a slightly hazy yellow with a thick head of medium white bubbles. Smell was a spectacular orange citrus. Sweet and bordering on perfumey.

Taste was of orange sweet tarts. A bit of grapefruit as well. Almost perfect blend of sweetness and bitterness. The bitterness is balanced by a generous malt contribution in the finish.

This reminded me of a Dreadnaught light. Not too light bodied, but very easy to drink. Well done. Wish they had it in my area as it would become one in heavy rotation. (534 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

I am not a fan of some IPAs, but I think I could drink this all day long.

It has great color and good carbonation. I love the smell you get from the centennial hops and it has just the right amount of bitterness, giving it a great overall balance between hops and malt. It has a nice finish making it a perfect anytime beer.

Yum! (333 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Straw to Orange in color. Has the cloudy appearance of a weiss. Pours with a thick, foamy head, which settles into a nice layer of suds. Noticeable lace throughout. Strong citrus hops on the nose. Initially a nice balance of hop with malt on the tongue. Hops remains dominant however, and overtakes the palate. The hops do a dance in the mouth which goes as: First to play is flavorful, floral to citrusy hop then blends nicely into a tangy bitterness, which melts and coats the mouth. The bitter flavor lingers and slowly fades away, leaving just a trace of its original flavor on the back of the mouth and edges of the cheeks. Brown 12oz. (640 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Ohh, my...this is one complex, super good IPA!

Color was a solid goldish yellow, small bubbly head that faded fast but left nice tight lace in patches around the glass. Aroma is very grapefruit/orangey/lemony peel-like with lots of fresh floral hops and a bit of spice and slight dry malt. Straight up taste is very fresh hops, citrusy with some spice notes and grain, nothing overbearing, very mellow, its perfectly balanced and is very crisp and clean with a great, light dry finish lingering with dry malts and left over hop bits. Hard and very bold, medium body feel, somewhat creamy with lots of fruity sweetness and a nice, light dry finish. This is some fantastic stuff. A favorite of mine for any occasion. (717 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this one on the afternoon, about 2 hours before I got married, my brother and I decided to kill some time with a beer tasting?

Pour a golden, copper-ish color. With a pillow of off white, kaki head. Good lacing.

Aroma was to be expected for an IPA. Pine and citrus dominated.

Taste was like chewing hops! LOVED IT! Had a slight grapefruit note, and with a well balanced malt flavor.
Finished dry, with some bread/yeast notes.

A great everyday IPA. I love IPA's and this is one of my favorites so far!!!! I wish we could get this in Arizona! (550 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

copper orange colour, and lots of lacing on the glass.

smell of citrus fruits a biscuit malts.

a very sweet bitter citrus flavors mostly grapefruit, left with a bit of malts, and a tad bit of hops!

very creamy, with a little bit of chew which I mean in my opinion is a great thing in an american ipa!

Freaking amazing beer been drinking this for two years, such a great drinking IPA! I've had it on tap but I'm not a huge nitro guy. I mean if you're looking for a reasonably priced mind blowing IPA to unleash your arsenal buy it, don't stop think the bass is your friend!

packaged 1/30/2012 (596 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

My opinion on this is that If a beer is ever made with a better mouth and drinkability, they'll have to add a 5.5 and 6 to the scale. Good as it gets. Appearance is good but nothing remarkable It's typical of the class in color and top which doesn't warrant a 5. Smell is tangy and citrusy. Hops are prominent and there is some backbone with a decent malt-sweetness there. Taste is very good. Easy on the tongue, while finishing with a very light sweet creaminess. Alcohol is not apparent which added to just the right amount of carbonation, makes the mouthfeel just incredible. So smooth, so drinkable. And not just for a draft or bottle but all night long, all week long, all month long, and any time of year.

Another success for Bells. Their lineup isn't perfect but still stands out as one of the top breweries in my opinion. I hate it when they place sixers of TH in the case beside sixers of DFH 60-min because it forces me to buy both. And at ten bucks, who wouldn't? (975 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i believe this is my first bells beer another great that i cant get in illinois. the color is a beautiful cloudy orange hue and a big white head the smell is flipping amazing pineapple, bananas and a wonderful hop aroma fill the nose. taste is also great , i really wish i could get this stuff more often its just damn good. on the label it says its an india pale ale its the most tame ipa i've ever had but a great beer nonetheless (432 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to psukinger for the bottle acquired in a trade.

I have to admit that I sometimes judge a beer by the label. This label is not the coolest looking label. Last thing I want is for my beer to taste like trout. But I'm blown away by how good this beer is.

A: Poured into a snifter with a huge head. I think this attests to how fresh this bottle is. The color of orange rust - what a beautiful color.

S: Scents of pine and huge grapefruit. Brings me to a forest on an crisp autumn day stepping over pinecones while cutting into a grapefruit.

T: Delicious - the hope quality is apparent. Its not too strong like many IPAs can be. I'm a hope head and love bitter but this is nicely balanced and really a fantastic effort from Bells.

M: The beer is not thick and has a silky feel while rolling over the tongue

D: I feel like if I could get this on a regular basis - it would be my staple IPA. Unfortunately Bell's is not available in NY.

I think I love this beer! (974 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Some IPA's are too bitter for my liking, they overdo the hops in an attempt to outdo each other. This one from Bell's is different it's definitely hoppy, but has enough malt to let you focus on the taste instead of the bitterness. Grapefruit and maybe just a bit of sour orange mix in together to make this a very refreshing beer. Perfect summer sipping beer. Beautiful golden/orange color, very nice head and lacing, and as I said not so bitter that it kills the flavors like some IPA's do. This is the first beer I've had from Bell's in Maryland, but will be trying more, after this was recommended by one of the bartenders at the local bar I frequent. They are having a night featuring Bell's next week so looking forward to seeing what else they brew. (757 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Probably my favorite IPA. Pale amber with a huge white head and plenty of carbonation. Smell of grapefruit and pine from the centennial hops, sweet malt still comes through. Tastes like grapefruit cotton candy--so sweet and fruity--not from the malt, though, which is underplayed. Mouthfeel is full with a sweet but not too lingering aftertaste. I could (and have) drink these all night. (387 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a great brew! I have had it multiple times and decided to finally review it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a dogfish head snifter.

Pours pretty much the color of apple juice with a solid two fingers of head. Excellent lacing on the glass.

Smell-Hops! Very floral with a hint of grapefruit.

Taste- Not surprisingly HOPS! this is a class act IPA. Has a solid malt backbone.

Mouthfeel-hop oils and a nice carbonation

Drinkability-great beer to sit and drink a few 7% is there but manageable and the taste is sooo goood

I would be a happy man if my fridge was filled with this and some 90 min for the rest of my life. A solid, solid brew. (652 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

This may have just become my favorite IPA, I can't say for sure though. Will have to go back and try many IPA's again to compare. Could take years to evaluate and compile.

If your wife wants flowers get her a dozen of these. She won't be disappointed, unless she's a an incurable sentimentalist.

It has the full hop profile of something with a constant hop addition but it is still pretty clean. Sweet, fruity, floral nose. Great citrus, malt, floral and bitter note interplay in the flavor. A very interesting and satisfying beer.

Personally, I have never thought that an IPA could or should be balanced, but if any IPA is balanced then this is it. It has great full-spectrum bitterness akin to Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, but the way everything comes together here is just a bit more drinkable. This beer makes me feel safe. (836 characters)

On tap at Melt.

As of today, I'm sure I have been drinking a Bells Two Hearted every month for at least the last ten years. Each time I have it, I'm blown away like for the first time. I finally got around to rating this - it's about time.

Looks wonderful in the glass. Orange/copper color with a large head that sticks around and leaves great lace. The only thing that would make this better is juts a slightly more bright color.

Smell is hop heaven. Centennial makes it's appearance and gives huge citrus notes. The orange and grapefruit notes are powerful and perfume for my soul. Just fantastic, a touch of sweet malt, but over-the-top hoppiness that showcases my favorite hop.

Taste is paradise. The hops and sweet kiss of malt make this just a pleasure to drink. Lots of hops citrus notes - orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and just perfect depth. Malt is sweet and clean with just a touch of caramel. Perfect in just about every way, in fact, perfect period. This has been masterfully hopped.

Two Hearted Ale has a nice mouthfeel. Great viscosity and carbonation, just shy of perfection as it just doesn't sparkle like the best of the field. It's damn close, though. The finish is mildly bitter but pleasant. Overall, I love this beer. I think I'll drink it for the next 10 years as well. Thanks, Bells!! (1,314 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer was poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a mug. It had a hazy honey gold color, a bit cloudy. The initial 1.5 inches of foam decreased somewhat but didn't disappear entirely. The carbonation was very nice. I could see lots of tiny bubbles. The aroma was one of the great features of this beer. It had a strong hops aroma with citrus notes. With respect to taste, the bitterness of the hops hit me right away and stayed until the finish. It's nicely balanced, however, with a little bit of sweetness. It was definitely not overly hoppy for my taste. Bell's Two Hearted Ale was a pleasure to drink. (602 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer felt very hoppy through and through with no over powering bitterness with it. Seems like Bell got the right mix here of it all, very drinkable and most importantly DELICIOUS! Try it cold or warm it's great either way. Hints of orange underneath but one of my top IPA's to drink! (288 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Bright, crisp, super drinkable resiny grapefruit dIPA.
___

A: Clear golden body with a persistent one finger white frothy head.

S: A ton of grapefruit and resiny hops and a bit of buttery biscuit malt underneath.

T: Bright, acidic fruity and resiny hops, carried deep into the tongue by carbonation. One of the most crisp beers I've encountered. Light but firm buttery biscuit malt foundation.

M: High carbonation and enough texture to hold on to without being heavy.

D: Perfect balance between flavor and weight. (518 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.