Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,399 | Ratings: 13,620
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-Golden in color with a fine head. Riddled with bubbles.

S-Big fruity hops. Clementines. Very smooth smell. Malt is nicely intertwined. Smells like a damn good brew.

T-Hello! Absolutely delectible hop profile. Not violently bitter but more refined and palatable. Fruity hops take over my tongue. Subtle malt, hop foward. I get an almost bubblegum taste on the back end. Delicious and modestly unique.

M-Exceptional mouthfeel. Well carbonated yet slick. Sticks to your tongue. Hop flavors never go away.

D-The alcohol is completely silenced. A 7% brew that could easily sneak up on you especially because the flavor is savory. I wish I could get this beer all the time. Why won't you reside in MA with me? Would be my go-to beer if I could get it locally.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Light copper, orange with 2 fingers of white head that leaves sticky lacing every where.

S - Citrus and piney hops, resiny and slightly spicy with a decent malt backbone.

T - Nicely balanced bitterness with sweet caramel and bready malts. Citrus, resiny and spicy hops are the centerpiece.

M - On the light side of medium with good carbonation and slightly creamy. Slightly dry finish.

D - One of the easiest summer drinking IPA's i have had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic. Acquired in a trade with Wutz. Thanks buddy!

Pours a hazy golden orange. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Great retention, loads of lacing.

Aroma is big time citrus and pine. Grapefruit is the dominant citrus smell. Malt sweetness behind the hops.

Taste is all hops. Pretty good hop balance between the citrus and the pine. Excellent pale malt backbone.

Smooth drinker. Fairly light body, but still has a nice creaminess. Appropriately carbonated and highly drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a dead on golden color (what I imagine stacks of gold bullion look like in the right light)

S - Very citrusy and hoppy smell with a hit of fruit or spice.

T - Plenty of hops and a different type of hop on the beginning and end of the tongue. Fantastic taste and bit.

M - Lightly bites the tongue making the mouth want more.

D - The taste is fantastic, the aroma is wonderful, the alcohol isn't noticeable. If it wasn't a $13-15 six pack I would keep a bottle in my fridge at all times!

12 floz bottle with 9279 on the back into old speckeld pint glass

A - good light amber colour, maybe like light tangerine or clementine. big three finger head, solid, made of medium large bubbles, with a slightly orange colour. the head retains pretty well.

S - exceptionally good nose, great citrusy hops. the nose is so incredibly bursting with the scent of the hops. the nose exudes lemon juice, pine needles, and grapefruit pith. there is not much more, but the sheer intensity and deliciousness of the nose earns it a high marking

T - a real great beer, this one earns the kudos it gets. the initial is a tamed bitterness with a big malt backing, keeping the full bitterness at bay. the hops are more piney than grapefruity, but the overall taste is of the classic hop taste, with maybe a bit of astringent bitterness at the back of the palate. the finish is really where this beer takes off: the grapefruit taste rockets up and combines with the alcohol to make a lightly burning, bitter, and dry taste that finishes a bit on the herbal side of things; the malt, however, manages to get one last kick in and takes the very end of the finish. the aftertaste is light bitterness of hops and an overall malty feeling.

MF&D - the beer perfectly drinkable, compeltely and utterly. in fact the beer is soo good that even claire, who doesnt like hops, really likes this brew. I dont know what a perfect Am. IPA should taste like, so I will curb the rating a bit.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Golden amber, nice, fluffy, foamy, white head, some lace, head stays like a dollop of sour cream all the way until the glass is empty

S: Nice hops aroma, citrusy and grapefruit, but also orange, some floral hints too, nice hop profile

T: Milder than I expected bitterness wise, hops and malt are both equally present and in perfect balance, delicate malt sweetness, hops are very flavorful without overwhelming the palate

M: Pleasant medium, very mild dryness, smooth

D: Very high, perfectly balanced

Notes: This is one of my all time favorite IPAs. Everything is in perfect balance, but doesn't sacrifice anything. The hops don't overwhelm you, but all the flavor is still there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It is finally time to review my favourite IPA... (well, it is tied with Surly for the lead :D)

It pours a light copper color with a decent white head and nice lacing. It is a bit cloudy from the yeast in the bottle. The smell is very fruity and floral, along with some pine and citrus hop smells.

The taste of this beer is a beautiful contrast between sweet, fruity malts and spicy, piny and citrus hops. It is so smooth and flavourful. Something about the bottle conditioning makes it silky smooth, like no other IPA. It is really great.

Something about this beer (yeast perhaps) makes it much easier to drink than others. It has tuns of flavour but is not harsh or overpowering in the slightest. If I could, I would go back and give every beer I have ever reviewed a lower drink-ability rating, because this beer is king!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The label on the bottle I had was different than the BA pic. Mine was of a trout's head depicted in various shades of green.

This is a cloudy beer between amber and gold in color. A very nice, sticky, resilient white meringue type head reminiscent of a good homebrew.

Wonderful citrusy hops in the nose upon smell and after the sip. Nice maltiness in the finish. Slight chewiness in the body but crisp enough in the finish to prepare me for the next sip.

I'm not a huge hop head and this is a fairly hoppy beer but one that I could easily drink in a session. I am glad I decided to add this one to my mixed sixer.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip. Packaged 06/22/12. Thanks to Matt for this one!

A - Pours a deep, vibrant orange color with a thick foamy head, slightly off-white. Fantastic head retention and lacing. Looks excellent.

S - Juicy tropical hops upfront. Pineapple, mango, light grapefruit, orange, and boatloads of peach. Earthy pine notes underneath that as well. The peachy hop might be the most prominent aroma here, honestly. A thin layer of caramel malt for some sweetness and balance, but this aroma is all about the bright, fruity hops. Floral, citrusy, and everything I love in a good IPA.

T - Surprisingly big malt presence, which is the first thing that hits me. Toasty and bready caramel malt, with some biscuity notes. The hops are definitely here, but not exactly as the nose had implied. There's a fair helping of mango, pineapple, and grapefruit, but the peachy sweetness is really toned down. There's also a bigger pine character in the finish, giving it a much more robust and resinous feel. A nice blend of floral, tropical, piney hops fade into a long lasting bitter finish and aftertaste. Not a ton of balance here, but it isn't really needed; the hop profile here is awesome.

M - Low but prickly carbonation with a medium bodied weight. Lingering bitterness, with a slightly sticky feel. Fairly smooth and easy drinking all around.

D - For me, this beer didn't quite live up to the hype. However, this should really stand as a benchmark for what a good American IPA should be. This beer had everything you would expect from the style, from the light toasty and bready caramel malt backbone, to the big, assertive hop presence in the finish. A nice balance between the piney/earthy/herbal hops, and the tropical/fruity ones as well. Altogether, this makes for a delicious and drinkable brew that any true beer lover should try at least once. Remarkable, but not quite world-class.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Clear orange brownish color. One finger white frothy head.
S:Excellent fresh grapefruit. In the middles it smells like fresh cut grash. Very resiny. Just a touch of biscuit.
T:Light caramel fullness all throughout. Big citrusy creamy grapefruit hoppiness.
M:Rich fat bubbles give it an awesome round feeling. Very creamy
D:This is by far one of the most well balanced IPA's. I love this beer, I can sit down a drink a ton of this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours cloudy copper color, citrus hoppy aroma, nice hop profile, crazy ass foamy clingy head. Juicy grapefruit-citrus flavors, medium bodied IPA with a nice rounded full mouthfeel, this may be the most drinkable IPA I have ever tasted, I just can't stop at one.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-somewhere around copper

smell- sweet with some citrus

taste- just an amazing mix. hops and floral

mouthfeel- good mix of carbonation nice crisp finish

drinkability-" well suited for adventurous trips o the upper Peninsula."

one of my Favorites

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Living in Michigan, I have access to Two Hearted almost everywhere, all the time. Which is f'n great news, because it is an excellent brew. The color is a deep amber, with some copper when the light hits it. A solid white head forms and leaves great lacing all the way down the glass. Hops up front and hops in the back with a very solid citrus and grapefruit profile that goes hand-in-hand with the its floral essence - much expected from an American IPA. The great thing about Two Hearted is that it's incredibly simple, but it's done extremely well. It doesn't have some over-the-top, drawn out, unnecessarily complex flavor profile because it doesn't need one. The bitterness from the hops is balanced nicely with the huge citrus/grapefruit flavors and light undertones of malt. Bitterness lasts the entire time without becoming too overpowering. The beer smells as simple as it tastes - like a nice field of hops and grapefruits; very perfume-like and fragrant from the start to the finish. With a medium body and a perfect amount of carbonation, this mouth is very nice, making this beer easy to drink.

Two Hearted is an extremely simple, yet masterfully executed IPA which is readily available and always delicious. I love this shit, plain and simple, and if you like America IPAs, you're gonna love it, too. If you can't get this stuff, let me know and I will send it out. Everyone deserves to have this.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A real classic, first received in a trade a few years ago, then bottles bought at AJ's Beer Warehouse. This reviews concerns Two Hearted on tap at Acme Beer and Pizza in Rochester, NY.

Pours a hazy glowing orange yellow. 1 inch head with great lacing.

A big trifecta of great hop aromas- pine, citrus, floral.

The tastes follows similarly, and successfully. Very floral up front, with some sweet citrus flavors mixed with bitter pine notes. The bitterness is lingering but not over-powering. Not much noticeable malt flavor. One of the freshest hop expressions on the market.

Light, crisp mouthfeel, light-to-medium body. Insanely drinkable.

So happy this cult classic has hit our market here in Western NY. I could drink this all day and be happy.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle 341ml. Hazy gold. Fantastic aroma of peach, tangerine and grassy hops. Flavor is well balanced between citrus, hops and pepper. Lovely dry and slightly bitter finish. Light palate, a little bit crispy. Very enjoyable. As good as it gets for an IPA.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Very light copper color, poured with very little head and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Really faint smell of pears and citrusy fruits such as lemons. Barely detectable, however.

T: I do not detect a lot of hop bitterness in this, however, the flavors are incredible. Citrusy lemons and oranges make themselves evident and the taste lingers in the mouth after swallowing. Delicious. The citrusy flavors are also probably due to the use of citric hops which would explain why I didn't get an overpowering bitter quality from the taste.

M: Extremely smooth and thirst quenching. I could easily down a 6er of these on a hot summer day.

O: Fantastic beer. It does not have the traditional hoppiness of many IPA's but it is just a great tasting brew. Sweet and delicious.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%

What can I say that hasn't been already said? This is definitely one of the best and most unique IPA's around, period!!! Nice 1" head with a smell of honey and citrus. Taste is where this beer excels. Various fruits and honey dance all around your mouth and beg for you to drink more! Mouthfeel is outstanding and it is really hard to put this one down. World Class for sure and one of my go to beers!!!

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was so happy to start seeing some Bell's start to show up on shelves around the Raleigh area. Of Bell's offerings this is perhaps my favorite. I picked up a sixer from a well-supplied convenience store; it was on the shelf under some (what I consider to be) strong competition but the Two-Hearted's price point and cravings for this particular mess of hops lead me to Bell's. I do not regret my choice.

As this ale poured from the bottle the smell of citrusy hop oil poured out with it. Immediately alive in the Scaldis tulip, a nice, white, part creamy part bubbly, two finger cap formed on top of golden beer with straw-yellow highlights. I had to stop the pour to allow room for the last few ounces which added some swirly yeast sediments to color the body of this brew - just beautiful! As the initial head receded, copious stickage ensued leaving a wide, thick ring of dense lace.

Wow. Where some brewers strike a note with the noses of their beers Bell's struck a chord with this one. It's citrus-like grapefruit and floral (think spring bouquet not rose or honeysuckle) with hints of maybe some berries? Blueberry is the one that comes to mind. This all blends so perfectly with the subtle malt tones that are just grainy enough to add to the spring-like quality as well. There is just a spice of phenol.

The taste, in fact, comes off grainier than expected. Now, let us not confuse such a statement with the simple fact that this beer is hoppy. Period. But there is almost a sense of surprise at how a balance has been struck between hop and grain after experiencing such a significant aroma (Note well: The balance is tipped WAY in favor of hops but there is balance nonetheless). There is an immediate astringency followed by the opening of the hop profile; pine resinous with sweet and sour citrus flavor. The grain tones sneak in as the initial acidity fades a bit and allows for some combination of flavor - this is perhaps when the berry-like fruit qualities of hop, grain, and alcohol tend to complement and play off of one another. It's the embodied flavor of the American IPA; hop palate destruction with just enough balance to make one go "Oooo" in some silly fashion - well done!

Mouthfeel is astringent. NO way around it - this is not for the faint of hops! Beyond the acidity it is quite bubbly and not syrupy like some really heavy IPA's but rather alive on the palate in its medium body...matty likey!

I feel as though I could drink this beer all day and not get sick of it. In spite of (and in some sense BECAUSE of) some palate-drying hoppiness and a non-sessionable ABV this beer is just so damn DRINKABLE. Cheers, Bell's - this should have us on our collective ass soon enough.

An interesting point of note; the burp is quite pleasant and tastes like what I'd expect the hop profile alone to taste like separate from the other beer characteristics. Floral and vegetal!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle that's allowed to sit for some time and then carefully poured delivers just a slightly hazy (almost clear) peachy-gold body that's topped by a frothy white head which holds fairly well. It eventually drops but keeps a really nice creamy collar, and a simple swirl of the glass brings it right back up! Additionally, it leaves some nice lace - although it's fleeting. The aroma, however, is even more astonishing than the appearance with a bright, bold combination of soft ripe fruit, tangy grapefruit and resiny pine. Intense! But it goes even one step further as the flavor is even bolder than the aroma with a searing bitterness right-up front, and from start to finish! If it weren't for the rich (almost sugary) and fruity (apricot, tangerine, mild pineapple) malt underneath this beer would be way too much! Surprisingly, and thankfully, the hop flavors are limited to the fruity side of things and the interplay between the crushing bitterness and the sweet malt is really interesting. It's kind of like a "tug of war" in the mouth. The firm maltiness is enlivened by a very fine and gently effervescent carbonation that helps this to happen. It's surprisingly smooth and creamy. This is one hell of a "take no prisoners" IPA that should clearly be sought out and destroyed - one bottle at a time! Most highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a pale golden amber color with a nice creamy off-white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is probably the best aroma of any IPA I have ever smelled. Fresh citrusy hops immediately fill the air and just dares you to take a sip. The taste much like the aroma is a hop heads paradise. The hops seemingly explode in your mouth making you die to take the next sip. Wow! This is one hell of a brew that will certainly become a staple in my fridge. Highly Recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance - Poured a very nice amber color with a very cloud like fluffy white head that left some very very nice lace coating my glass.

Smell - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus really make this one great smelling brew.

Taste - Strong hop kick that leaves a very nice sweet citrus taste left in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Thicker feeling beer but doesn't feel to heavy in your mouth. Very nice carbonation that helps make this heavier beer smoother and crisper than expected.

Drinkability - The hops really had a nice balance in this beer. They were strong, you did take notice of them upon the first sip, but they weren't to overpowering. It was actually a very easy to drink beer.

Comments - Thanks to chilidog and the '03 holiday beer exchange I was able to get my hands on this great representation of an IPA. One of the best IPA's out there that should be tried by all.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence the beer had a bright brassy color. it pours with a cloudy appearence and a little carbonation.

Aroma is of floral and pine hops aroma

Taste is medium body but full of zest and hops

Overall this is an outstanding IPA and the bells crew has once again not let me down. This IPA is a little more bitter than expected but was welcomed and I will most definatly visit this tasty experience once again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this beer since the early 90s (I grew up in Grand Rapids MI) and it was my first IPA experience. My review may be biased by the fact that this beer is my reference point for the style. I'm glad it's become available here in DC.

I drank this one poured from a bottle into a tall, somewhat narrow beer mug.

Appearance: Starts with the label on the bottle, which depicts a trout over a background of flowing a flowing stream - very cool. I don't know who designs Bell's bottle labels but they deserve some sort of award (the snowy owl on the best brown ale is one of the "best" labels in beerdom). The beer pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge rocky head that dissapates slowly and leaves lacing down the glass.

Aroma is of piney, floral, citrus hops. The piney scent is fitting for a brew from Michigan.

Taste is dry with an immediate, evergreen, prickly hop presence. If you look for it you will detect doughy malts behind the hops. Definitely a beer that hopheads will like - it's on the dry side but they've piled on just enough malt.

Mouthfeel is lively, almost prickly, due to the high hop content, but with a smooth finish. I could (and have) drink these all night long but they do pack a bit of a punch, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. All in all an excellent IPA.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz. pour from batch 10064, checked Bell's site and they did not have this batch in the system so no idea as to the bottling date.

Pours a beautiful honey amber with a one finger frothy head that leaves a nice lacing around the rim. A little less than clear, but not enough to say hazy.

Smells of citrus hops and tropical fruit. Not a grapefruity aroma more a sweet tangerine mixed with pineapple and mango. A bit of sweet light malts, but the hops are, as they should be, the star of the show.

Taste is excellent! While I like other IPA's equally as much this beer rates the full A+ cannot be improved rating for flavor. Crisp and sweet with the flavors following the nose letter for letter, and with a nice hop bite on the follow through. I can't think of a better example of a sweet fruity hopped IPA, equals yes, but differently not better.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light, more of a pale than an IPA. I really like it and it enhances the drinkability, but most beers in this style have a little more body at this abv.

Drinkability is excellent I've definitely had more than two of these in a sitting, but the hops and alcohol sneak up on you. I have to have a water and some food to get a good taste of the third or more beer. The hops may be sweet, but they are potent and you stop getting the full flavor after number two thanks to their tongue lashing (pun intended) and the numbing of the alcohol.

All in all one of my favorites. I recommend it to all my friends if they ask about a good IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.