Join our email list →

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American IPA | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,355 | Hads: 13,400
4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Ohh, my...this is one complex, super good IPA!

Color was a solid goldish yellow, small bubbly head that faded fast but left nice tight lace in patches around the glass. Aroma is very grapefruit/orangey/lemony peel-like with lots of fresh floral hops and a bit of spice and slight dry malt. Straight up taste is very fresh hops, citrusy with some spice notes and grain, nothing overbearing, very mellow, its perfectly balanced and is very crisp and clean with a great, light dry finish lingering with dry malts and left over hop bits. Hard and very bold, medium body feel, somewhat creamy with lots of fruity sweetness and a nice, light dry finish. This is some fantastic stuff. A favorite of mine for any occasion.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this one on the afternoon, about 2 hours before I got married, my brother and I decided to kill some time with a beer tasting?

Pour a golden, copper-ish color. With a pillow of off white, kaki head. Good lacing.

Aroma was to be expected for an IPA. Pine and citrus dominated.

Taste was like chewing hops! LOVED IT! Had a slight grapefruit note, and with a well balanced malt flavor.
Finished dry, with some bread/yeast notes.

A great everyday IPA. I love IPA's and this is one of my favorites so far!!!! I wish we could get this in Arizona!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

copper orange colour, and lots of lacing on the glass.

smell of citrus fruits a biscuit malts.

a very sweet bitter citrus flavors mostly grapefruit, left with a bit of malts, and a tad bit of hops!

very creamy, with a little bit of chew which I mean in my opinion is a great thing in an american ipa!

Freaking amazing beer been drinking this for two years, such a great drinking IPA! I've had it on tap but I'm not a huge nitro guy. I mean if you're looking for a reasonably priced mind blowing IPA to unleash your arsenal buy it, don't stop think the bass is your friend!

packaged 1/30/2012

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

My opinion on this is that If a beer is ever made with a better mouth and drinkability, they'll have to add a 5.5 and 6 to the scale. Good as it gets. Appearance is good but nothing remarkable It's typical of the class in color and top which doesn't warrant a 5. Smell is tangy and citrusy. Hops are prominent and there is some backbone with a decent malt-sweetness there. Taste is very good. Easy on the tongue, while finishing with a very light sweet creaminess. Alcohol is not apparent which added to just the right amount of carbonation, makes the mouthfeel just incredible. So smooth, so drinkable. And not just for a draft or bottle but all night long, all week long, all month long, and any time of year.

Another success for Bells. Their lineup isn't perfect but still stands out as one of the top breweries in my opinion. I hate it when they place sixers of TH in the case beside sixers of DFH 60-min because it forces me to buy both. And at ten bucks, who wouldn't?

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i believe this is my first bells beer another great that i cant get in illinois. the color is a beautiful cloudy orange hue and a big white head the smell is flipping amazing pineapple, bananas and a wonderful hop aroma fill the nose. taste is also great , i really wish i could get this stuff more often its just damn good. on the label it says its an india pale ale its the most tame ipa i've ever had but a great beer nonetheless

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to psukinger for the bottle acquired in a trade.

I have to admit that I sometimes judge a beer by the label. This label is not the coolest looking label. Last thing I want is for my beer to taste like trout. But I'm blown away by how good this beer is.

A: Poured into a snifter with a huge head. I think this attests to how fresh this bottle is. The color of orange rust - what a beautiful color.

S: Scents of pine and huge grapefruit. Brings me to a forest on an crisp autumn day stepping over pinecones while cutting into a grapefruit.

T: Delicious - the hope quality is apparent. Its not too strong like many IPAs can be. I'm a hope head and love bitter but this is nicely balanced and really a fantastic effort from Bells.

M: The beer is not thick and has a silky feel while rolling over the tongue

D: I feel like if I could get this on a regular basis - it would be my staple IPA. Unfortunately Bell's is not available in NY.

I think I love this beer!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Some IPA's are too bitter for my liking, they overdo the hops in an attempt to outdo each other. This one from Bell's is different it's definitely hoppy, but has enough malt to let you focus on the taste instead of the bitterness. Grapefruit and maybe just a bit of sour orange mix in together to make this a very refreshing beer. Perfect summer sipping beer. Beautiful golden/orange color, very nice head and lacing, and as I said not so bitter that it kills the flavors like some IPA's do. This is the first beer I've had from Bell's in Maryland, but will be trying more, after this was recommended by one of the bartenders at the local bar I frequent. They are having a night featuring Bell's next week so looking forward to seeing what else they brew.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Probably my favorite IPA. Pale amber with a huge white head and plenty of carbonation. Smell of grapefruit and pine from the centennial hops, sweet malt still comes through. Tastes like grapefruit cotton candy--so sweet and fruity--not from the malt, though, which is underplayed. Mouthfeel is full with a sweet but not too lingering aftertaste. I could (and have) drink these all night.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

This is a great brew! I have had it multiple times and decided to finally review it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a dogfish head snifter.

Pours pretty much the color of apple juice with a solid two fingers of head. Excellent lacing on the glass.

Smell-Hops! Very floral with a hint of grapefruit.

Taste- Not surprisingly HOPS! this is a class act IPA. Has a solid malt backbone.

Mouthfeel-hop oils and a nice carbonation

Drinkability-great beer to sit and drink a few 7% is there but manageable and the taste is sooo goood

I would be a happy man if my fridge was filled with this and some 90 min for the rest of my life. A solid, solid brew.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

This may have just become my favorite IPA, I can't say for sure though. Will have to go back and try many IPA's again to compare. Could take years to evaluate and compile.

If your wife wants flowers get her a dozen of these. She won't be disappointed, unless she's a an incurable sentimentalist.

It has the full hop profile of something with a constant hop addition but it is still pretty clean. Sweet, fruity, floral nose. Great citrus, malt, floral and bitter note interplay in the flavor. A very interesting and satisfying beer.

Personally, I have never thought that an IPA could or should be balanced, but if any IPA is balanced then this is it. It has great full-spectrum bitterness akin to Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, but the way everything comes together here is just a bit more drinkable. This beer makes me feel safe.

On tap at Melt.

As of today, I'm sure I have been drinking a Bells Two Hearted every month for at least the last ten years. Each time I have it, I'm blown away like for the first time. I finally got around to rating this - it's about time.

Looks wonderful in the glass. Orange/copper color with a large head that sticks around and leaves great lace. The only thing that would make this better is juts a slightly more bright color.

Smell is hop heaven. Centennial makes it's appearance and gives huge citrus notes. The orange and grapefruit notes are powerful and perfume for my soul. Just fantastic, a touch of sweet malt, but over-the-top hoppiness that showcases my favorite hop.

Taste is paradise. The hops and sweet kiss of malt make this just a pleasure to drink. Lots of hops citrus notes - orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and just perfect depth. Malt is sweet and clean with just a touch of caramel. Perfect in just about every way, in fact, perfect period. This has been masterfully hopped.

Two Hearted Ale has a nice mouthfeel. Great viscosity and carbonation, just shy of perfection as it just doesn't sparkle like the best of the field. It's damn close, though. The finish is mildly bitter but pleasant. Overall, I love this beer. I think I'll drink it for the next 10 years as well. Thanks, Bells!!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer was poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a mug. It had a hazy honey gold color, a bit cloudy. The initial 1.5 inches of foam decreased somewhat but didn't disappear entirely. The carbonation was very nice. I could see lots of tiny bubbles. The aroma was one of the great features of this beer. It had a strong hops aroma with citrus notes. With respect to taste, the bitterness of the hops hit me right away and stayed until the finish. It's nicely balanced, however, with a little bit of sweetness. It was definitely not overly hoppy for my taste. Bell's Two Hearted Ale was a pleasure to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer felt very hoppy through and through with no over powering bitterness with it. Seems like Bell got the right mix here of it all, very drinkable and most importantly DELICIOUS! Try it cold or warm it's great either way. Hints of orange underneath but one of my top IPA's to drink!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Bright, crisp, super drinkable resiny grapefruit dIPA.
___

A: Clear golden body with a persistent one finger white frothy head.

S: A ton of grapefruit and resiny hops and a bit of buttery biscuit malt underneath.

T: Bright, acidic fruity and resiny hops, carried deep into the tongue by carbonation. One of the most crisp beers I've encountered. Light but firm buttery biscuit malt foundation.

M: High carbonation and enough texture to hold on to without being heavy.

D: Perfect balance between flavor and weight.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Though we may like to rate beers based on many properties, its all about the taste and this IPA is one of the best in this category. As variable as IPAs can be, this beer captures to quintessential IPA flavor. Other IPAs seem to be variations of the Two Hearted Ale. This is a recurrent beer in my frig and a personal favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times and haven't reviewed it for some reason. Perhaps I was just making an excuse to have it again. Color is a bright amber with a chunky white head. Lacing like crazy here. Smell is of fresh, crisp hops. Very complex. A vast array of fruits meet the nose, though mostly citrus. One of the most fragrant beers I've had (though HopSlam takes the grand prize there). Taste is loaded with bitter hops, though remains well balanced considering how hoppy it is. Medium body with satisfactory carbonation. Definitely one I will return to again and again, especially because it seems to show itself in unexpected places.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Poured a little too slowly into my regular pint glass and produced a one finger head which dissipated into a half-finger head rather quickly. The head sits as a cap for the rest of the beer, producing a little lacing. The beer is a golden amber in color with some orange haziness. I think an IPA could look much better.
After have this one multiple times, on-tap and from the bottle, I feel that two hearted is too hazy for the style and overall lacks head retention compared to similar IPAs.

S: Hops and Sourdough bread-like malt. The hops produce a fruity sensation that reminds me of banana, flowers, a tinge of orange, and finally some maple syrup sap/resin like aroma. The malt reminds me of sourdough bread and popcorn, but not adjunct-like, more so the buttery aspect of popcorn. Not hugely aromatic, but not muted.

T: Buttery, sweet malt with a balanced upfront bitterness, then a crisp finish. A fruity yet floral flavor that is similar to the aroma I described above is definitely noticeable. As a new IPA drinker, the bitterness does not hang on the tongue like I thought it would; there is very little aftertaste which is nice. The hops seem to be balanced with the malt, I really like that.
EDIT: After considerable IPA tasting, I can see that Two Hearted is truly a world-class IPA with a world class flavor profile. Taste score raised to 5.

M: Creamy and viscous for being a light colored beer. Perfectly, if slightly, over-carbonated.

D: I am surprised how refreshing, yet warming this beer is. The crisp yet malty finish begs me to take another sip over and over again.
I am now convinced that this is the World's best session IPA (though with 7.1% alcohol one should be careful).

O: The first IPA that I have loved. Delicious and "moreish", a 12oz bottle is never quite enough. Thanks, Bell's, for enticing me to try more beers of the IPA style. Bell's Two Hearted is one of the few beers that really is more than the sum of it's parts.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is a sexy IPA. Golden honey notes with a soapy white head. While not exactly clear there is some hop haze in this one. A great example of how an IPA should look.

S - Wow this one reminds me a lot of it's bigger brother Hopslam. While not nearly as intense there is a definite resemblance. Sweet floral hops fly out of the glass. There is also a very generous sweet malt back bone that you can detect as the beer warms a bit. This beer just smells so fresh and inviting.

T - If the aroma isn't enough to win you over the taste will. A huge shot of bitterness right at the front which is quickly blended together with the sweet fruit flavors of the hops. By the back of the tongue you are reminded or the sweet malts you detected in the nose> A perfectly balanced beer.

D - YES please! Easily one of the best examples of a year round IPA on the market. A perfect mix between sweetness from the hops balanced with bitterness followed by a great malt character.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this several years ago along the North Shore of Lake Superior in Tofte Minnesota at the Blue Fin Bay Resort.
Didn't realize it was an IPA when I ordered it and wasn't sure if I liked it at first.
Now I realize how great this beer really is.
Poured into Duvel tulip from a bottle label 06/09/11.
The appearance is very inviting, beautiful golden, copper color with and outstanding 2 fingers of head and great even lacing.
The smell is intense floral and citrus, it just smells DAMN good!!
Taste is very nice and smooth, not overpowering, with a wonderfull finish that leaves you wanting another right away.
It sits well in the mouth, very smooth and refreshing to the tongue.
Over probably one of, it not my favorite IPA.
I think it just replaced Surly Furious as my favorite, at least in this sitting.
This one never seems to let me down!
(Wondering if the "Bros." might review again to see if might be better for them now.)

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

I don't know how I didn't notice this before but the head is just incredible. literally incredible. I poured this beer about 8 minutes ago and i still have a thick frothy 1 inch head. The reason i still have this head is that there are still thousands of bubble rapidly rising towards the head and adding to it. In fact, in the 2 minutes it took me to type this, the head has actually grown a few centimeters.

I think it's safe to say the greatness of this beer is directly corrolated with the craftsmanship it took to create this long lasting delcious carbonization.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Into a new Duvel tulip... arguably the best way to drink a fine beer.

A - Mostly opaque deep orange color. Rocky white head settles at a thick half inch. Big sheets of lace.

S - Very pungent sweet floral hops, creamy bready malts, peppery spice.

T/M - Starts out creamy and lightly sweet with a slightly oily consistency. Hoppy bite comes in quickly with carbonation and some spicy toasted malts. Hoppy flavor becomes more complex - sweet, creamy, green bitterness with smoky undertones. Finish leaves a sweet, creamy flavor with a dulled type bitterness.

D - Sessionable drinkability. Not much else to say; I drink it all the time, its my favorite IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to my buddy Aw Yeh for saving me a few dollars and bringing one of these over to my place. I've been meaning to review this excellent beer from a bottle for awhile. Bottled 06/02/12

Appearance - An absolutely vibrant and delicious looking brew. A thick, foaming, frothy head that is clings to the glass quite loosely. The beer has an orange and pink grapefruit appearance to it. Highly carbonated and very apparent that it is freshly made.

Smell - Very heavy notes of pink grapefruit and orange citrus. Tangerine splashes at the nostrils while a light hoppy pine waves in the background. A light hint of malt.

Taste - An extraordinary brew. This could possibly the freshest brew I've ever had. A very faint ethanol burn sits in the throat while orange coats the tongue. A fresh hop profile tickles the cheeks. The swallowing of the beer is accompanies by the taste of pink grapefruit and piney hops.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - This beer is absolutely delicious on the tongue and cheeks. Light-bodied to medium-bodied in taste. Fresh, piney, sweet, full of lively hops, and brimming with sweet nectary fruit flavors.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Very well balanced beer... Delicious! This is the kind of beer when you drink it and before you know it the glass is gone and you want another.

Favorite IPA! Light golden color with a finger head on top. Smells like grapefruit. At first taste I can feel the perfect balance of this beer. Hoppy in the best way yet smooth on the way down. An easy drinking beer for anytime or any occasion.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle to an Imperial Pint glass. Batch number 10076, according to Bell's Batch Finder it was packaged on 11-8-10. $10.49 for a 6-pack.

Appearance: Golden burnt orange color. Almost completely transparent, just a slight cloudiness. Huge rocky white head with good retention and large fluffy clumpy lacing all down the glass.

Smell: Great hop aroma. Strong citrus hops just permeate the senses. I wish I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Citrus and bitter hops up front. Citrus lingers long after and massages the palate. Hop bitterness is strong at the beginning but takes second stage to the citrus towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium with a strong carbonation that keeps things light and lively in midst of everything else that's going on.

Drinkability: Very High

This is a great IPA. Probably the most citrus driven I've ever had. For me it's about as close to perfect as you can get for the style.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

This old time favorite pours copper orange in color and has a nice white foamy head that is still one finger thick after about ten minutes or so. Unbelievable head retention too.

Smells of citrus fruits and sticky hop juice. What's not to like? And it's bold and in your face too!

Taste is citrusy and bitter with just the right amount of malty sweetness in the background. Nice lingering hop finish that lets you know that you're sippin' on an Ipa, but not super overpowering either.

Medium mouthfeel with a nice hop bite.

I could (and have) easily drink a sixer.

Morey's Bottom Line: This used to always be my favorite beer, and I'm finding out (after not having it for quite some time) that it still is. Hop Wallop, Nugget Nectar, and Hoppe are all great beers, but I'd have to say that Two Hearted is my favorite Ipa of all time.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.