Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,282 | Hads: 12,979

12 oz bottle poured into a white wine glass - 2008 Bottling - Fridge Temp

Appearance: Pours a semi cloudy golden color with a tall 3" head that is off white in color. Great retention and plenty of lace leftover on the glass. Couldn't be better than this.

Smell: A sweet lemon/lime aroma mixes with the bold grapefruit nose. Lingering pine and freshly cut grass. Honeysuckle and cherry blossom aromas make this beer quite floral.

Taste: A bitter sensation explodes on the taste buds and hangs on throughout the gulp. Extremely fresh white grapefruit, not the sugary pink ones. Hence, this isn't a sweet beer, but one with complexity. Lavender, basil and pine round out the flavor with a nice malt balance.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and ample bodied with lots of liveliness and plenty of hop bitterness. Alcohol is apparent because this isn't a sugary IPA.

Drinkability: Probably as good as it gets. This is a very well rounded beer with plenty of quenchability, flavor, and ample alcohol. It would pair well with spicy foods and would cut through charred meat as well. An icon. (1,075 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

One of my favorite IPAs. In fact, it's a go to IPA, and also the beer I use to convert people who don't think they like bitter. This beer is incredibly balanced and integrated. Best consumed fresh, this beer is still great in the bottle and is almost always in my house. The fact that it's named after a Hemingway location makes it all the more special in my book! (364 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Served on tap. Orange/copper color with a half finger of head. Hard head, it laced the glass as it went down. The smell is wonderful. All centenial hops wafting a wonderful aroma. I struggle with aromas, but this is just wonderful. The taste is immediately hoppy bitter, with just a touch of citrus, blending to a smooth finish. The citrus bite hangs around with a wonderful flavor. The malt/hop balance is perfect, while obviously leaning towards the hops. The only possible weakness may be a little hop film left on the mouth. The mouthfeel isnt quite up to the rest of the beer. Very drinkable, I can never have just one.

This may be the perfect beer. Okay, maybe not, but it may be the perfect AIPA. (706 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden color brew poured into an ipa glass and an off white head pillowed up and then retreated to a lasting film across the top. Lacing was steady and constant all the way to the end. Aroma of hops, pine, and a beautiful floral citrus. Taste is simple with a mix of citrus, strong pine, and hop bitterness. Easy drinking and nice bite on the palate. Bell's has concocted a real nice IPA here, well done! (409 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

They had a firkin of this at the Black Sparrow, and as I am not made of stone I had to buy and consume several pints far too quickly.

Pours like hazy amber and honey (and at a temperature that was only slightly below ambient!). Smallish but retentive head, good lacing, blah blah you know what a cask IPA looks like.

Smells capital-S Smooth. Two Hearted is normally well balanced but this is just boffo: giant west coats hops were almost, like, fluffed up by a malt so smooth it was like bready whipped cream.

Tastes even better than it smells, since smoothness is one of those things that ain't conveyed too well through the olfactory sense. Hops are like flowers and grapefruit juice, the malt is like poundcake, together they combine into a well-balanced slurry of perfection.

I've said in the past that casks don't really impress me unless they're of thick stouts, but I think I'm going to have to amend that for exceptionally balanced IPAs. This isn't *quite* at the level of cask Masala Mama, but it's damn close. (1,024 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

Any hop head will love this beer. Other than Hop Slam, this is my favorite Bell's beer.

I sampled a 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The appearance of the beer is a beautiful deep, hazy gold with a white head. The beer has some of the most beautiful lacing.

The aroma is dominated by pine resin. There is subtle grapefruit. The malts are presant in the nose, but overpowered by the hops.

I cannot express my respect for the taste of this beer. A perfect example of an American IPA. Piney, malty, creamy and smooth. Some citrus, but not alot. This baby is perfect for a summer bbq or sitting in front of the tv watching football. Full bodied and just wonderful. As the beer warms in the glass the malts start to come through more and it just stays creamy... Delicious. (775 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A = Nice orange and clear beer with 1 finger frothy head that holds fairly well

S - Fairly strong hop note with a combination of fruity/citrus hops and piney hop notes

T = Wow! So incredible for an IPA. One of the most complex and balanced and non-bitter IPAs I've every had. The flavors from the hops are so good, I can't describe but just wonderful. They come up and smack you with bold flavor then leave with a smooth finish and little bitterness in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Perfectly fine.

Overall - I went out of state to find this beer. I was skeptical, but the flavorings in this IPA truely are spectacular. Lots of flavor but not very bitter at all. Great find! (672 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the best IPA I have tasted to date. It is everything I want in this style of brew. It has balance, hops and subtle malts working together to form a hoppy sweet taste without overwhelming your senses. It hides the 7%abv well with great flavors. I have a new friend today. I am very happy with this purchase. (314 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a nice orange/yellow. This ale is topped off with a nice thick white head. The head slowly goes to a thick lace. The lace stayed to the end of the brew.

Aroma: This is a unique aroma. I feel the description of “citrus” doesn’t do this ale justice. Spices come to mind when I breathe in this ale. Yes, maybe a hint of citrus but spice is the best way to describe the aroma. I wish I could narrow it down to be more specific. Best way to say it. “ It is simply wonderful!”

Taste: I thought it is nicely balanced. A soft malt start and the flavor of the hops at the end. I wish I could find the words to describe the hops.

A very VERY nice ale. It ranks high on my own excel beer list. No wonder it ranks so high at BA!

I’d like to thank Paul (Senior) who brought this beer from Minnesota to Williamsburg while on vacation. (850 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got this one in the 16oz. can. It looked like it was canned on 8/18/2014. Great citrus aroma. Golden copper color. Drank out of a Dogfish Head IPA glass but also tried straight from the can. Very drinkable for a 7% abv beer. (228 characters)

Higly hoppy IPA.

An excellent brew. One of my favorite IPA'S. This beer on tap tastes so fresh it is like eating fresh hops whole. If you are a hop lover, Larry Bell did a nice job on the 2 hearted.

The two hearted name is derived from the two hearted river in michigans upper peninsula. (294 characters)

Wow.

Bottle-conditioned.

Slightly hazy gold. Huge resiny floral hops. Creamy thick head that slowly sighs to a film on the sides of the glass. Luscious resiny, lemony, slightly sweet malt carried by tender carbonation. Lingering candylike finish. Yum, yum, yum.

Am I glad I was "forced" to buy a whole sixpack of this. (327 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

i can sum up Bells Two Hearted Ale in three words: soft. floral. smooth.

bright orange and amber, citrus herbal hop perfume caresses my nose. a very powerful oily hop presence makes itself known before taking even one sip. and then the surprise. bright crisp citrus and flowery hops fill my taste buds, but softly and with a very smooth body (creamy). the oils coat my mouth, rounding out into a bitter burst on the very center of my tongue. amazing. such a strong head, and yet such a delicate balance of hoppy IPA character - flowers, citrus, and pepper. it's like Two Hearted is trying to say to me "hey. i'm here. i'm hoppy. i'm delicious and complex, more than just a hop bomb being dropped blindly on your senses. take note of the subtle characters and flavors that make me such a delicious IPA. one sip, and i know you will understand."

and so i say to Two Hearted, i do understand. fish theme included, i would love to be out on the dad's boat, pole in hand, waiting for that adrenaline charging strike and slaking my thirst in the meantime. a great summer refresher ^_^ (1,080 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Golden with a one finger white head.

S- Citrus, mostly grapefruit/a little orange, and malt.

T- Grapefruit bitterness with a little malt, and a piney aftertaste. Really good...

M- Pretty creamy and oily in the mouth initially with a dryness that occurs later.

D- This one is so easy to session. One of my favorite IPA's. (327 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer is amazing. Pours a burnt orange yellow color with half an inch of head, which dissipates quickly. The smell is hoppy with a touch of floral, spice and orange. Very gentle nose. Starts a little sweeter than your standard IPA which I like. It transitions slowly to a medium hop bitterness in the end. Very nice balance and more drinkable than most other IPAs. In fact, I think this IPA has better drinkability than Dogfishhead 60min. That says a lot being that Dogfish IPA is one of my absolute favorite beers period. (526 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. The best deal in the city.

A: A dark gold with a big creamy tan head.

S: Citrus, pineapple, campfire, and hops.

T: After taking a sip I noticed grapefruit and some lemon zest. A nice hop aroma just rolls from the glass into my mouth.

M: Fairly carbonated. But just right.

D: Very drinkable. I love the ABV on this beer. It's not too weak but it's not overpowering. You can session this puppy until dawn. Well maybe not dawn but you get the point.

Overall, one outstanding beer from Mr. Bell. This IPA is the IPA that got me into IPA's a few years back. I don't drink it as much as I should because of the selection at Ashley's, but I love a Two Hearted Ale once and a while. (714 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

I had a 15.5 gallon keg of Two Hearted Ale in my kegerator that I bought from Zipps in Minneapolis.

A: Goldish Orange

Smell: Hoppy

Taste: Hoppy

Mouthfeel: Awesome balance of bitterness

Drinkability: For a hop lover you could have several!

Cheers! (253 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

wow this beer seems to be about all one could ask for...thanks bells for makeins such a taste-full beer to enjoy with so many things like sunshine or moonlight you know although i find that 3 is the limit after 3 they seem to heavy imagain that ha ha ha (253 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

I can't believe I found this in PA ! Let's see what ya'll midwesterners are hooting and hollering about. One note here - this bottle is covered in dust, and I have no idea how long it was sitting on the shelf. Really, start a petition out there or something to get Bell's to start labeling dates. If it's of any relevance, it has what looks like the first half of a brook trout on the label; it's not the same one on the website.

This thing essentially exploded out of the bottle. Its a very pretty orange gold hue with HUGE white head that rises quicker than anything I've ever seen. Oh wow. I can smell it already.

This is the best smelling nose I've ever had. I don't even want to drink it. I just wanna sit here and sniff. When you say floral hops, this is what you should compare it to. Really though. If this were a perfume, I'd make my girl wear it everyday for ever.

Taste. Oh wow. That's awesome. It's so smooth and approachable. This is why I think it might be aged. It's not the hop monster I expected. Or if it is, the hops are so sweet and delicate that I am going insane. This is good because it lacks the heavy maltfeel every other IPA has. It's not an amber bombed with hops, its lighter in color and lighter in mouthfeel. I can't believe the balance. There's great carbonation, but it's so smooth I would have missed it if I didn't hold it up to the light. Erotic magazines....erotic tangerines.... (sorry but I just watched the funniest movie ever--Run Ronnie Run-- go rent it and pop a sixer--hilarious) Holy crap. Strange and delicious fruit. This beer is AWESOME ! It's like drinking your prom date's floral arrangement.

Mouthfeel: heaven.

What is it with new strange beers from across the country usurping my hometown hero, Victory? This is better than Hop Devil. Different for sure. My new favorite IPA. (1,843 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

The brew that always goes down smooth, converted my girl to an IPA fan, and never leaves me disappointed. Citrusy, perfectly carbonated, prominent but friendly bitterness derived from the centennial hops, pleasant aroma. It is really tough to come up with any negatives for this one, and tough to stop drinking it as well! Although I am a huge fan of high IBU IPAs and IIPAs now, this is the one that seeded my passion for hoppy brews to begin with. Easily one of my favorites. (477 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours dark amber with big creamy white head, mostly lasting. Nice lacing. Big aroma, pine and grapefruit. Smells very fresh. Flavor is grapefruit, orange peel, caramel malts, with a piney, earthy dry finish. Dances on the tongue for a wonderful mouthfeel. Fantastic texture, medium body, smooth and creamy. Very easy drinking, tough to put this one down. Outstanding IPA. (371 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

As this is my first review, I decided to review my all time favorite beer...Bells Two Hearted Ale.

Pouring it into a glass reveals a late sunset orange hue. Decent amount of frothy head.

Much has been said about the citrusy character of the hops and that is why I love this beer. If I could pick one word to truly describe this brew, it would be "fresh". Fresh popping out grapefruit/lemony/piney hops. So smooth, yet full of MANY flavors.

Drinkability....off the charts. I could sip this fine brew all day long. If you are looking to try an IPA or just looking to drink a good beer anytime..you won't be dissapointed with Two Hearted. (647 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Re-Reviewing

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip

A = a coppery amber color with crystal-like clarity. sports a 1 finger head after a gentle pour which subsides to form a thin white film of tiny bubbles. leaves thick lacing down the sides of the glass.

S = pine, grapefruit, sweet and aromatic tropical fruit, with a sweet malt profile playing in the background.

T = bitter grapefruit, touches of pine, mango and pineapple, a sweet malt and a touch of alcohol as the beer warms a bit and the glass begins to empty.

M = medium, slick, very easy to drink

O = my (current) favorite AIPA and one of my go-to beers, as well as having the privilege of being the first IPA I ever tried.. Never fails to disappoint, especially when I can get it really fresh. Everyone should try this one at least once, highly recommended. (823 characters)

Batch 7437

A: Pours a slightly hazy light golden in color with a small frothy head. Good sustain with moderate lacing.

S: A strong smell with lemon rind and lots of floral hops aroma.

T: Overflowing with flavor, the hops are surprisingly gentle with their bitterness. Complimented with citrus flavors, the taste is suberbly balanced.

M: Full-bodied for the style with crisp, moderate carbonation. Finishes very dry.

D: Definitely one of the best in the style. Extremely pleasant to drink, and it comes at a great price. This one is up there in my book with HopDevil and Burning River. (600 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Pale yellow in colour with a foamy white head which disappear quickly.

Smells fruity and citrusy. There's a lot of grapefruit and lemon.

Tastes excellent both fruity and bitter balanced perfectly. It has tastes of orange, lemon and bitter hops.

Only slight carbonation feels great on the tongue crisp and refreshing.

This is a great IPA more interesting than some of the others, in my opinion one of the best. (413 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.