Follow our progress ...

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,434 | Ratings: 13,761
4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a nice light amber with golden hues beaming all over. A firm bubbly white head appears about a half inch thick leaving a nice lace. Aromas of piney, resiney, and citrus hops along with light malt dominate. Initially this beer hits up front with sweet citrusy hops and a caramel toffee malt body. Following, more hops just come into play leaving a zesty piney flavor that just lingers on the tongue. This beer finishes hoppy and sweet, with some more zest and yet a final lingering bitterness that just makes it perfection. The body to this beer is light while it has a crisp carbonation that just keeps this beer refreshing. Overall a wonderful brew.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

I am reviewing this beer from the bottle but I am also a big fan of the mini kegs which my family traditionally gets around Christmas time. This beer pours an amber color with a huge thick creamy white head. Smells and tastes citrusy (and of course hops!). Orange flavors are present as well as a wonderful chewy hop flavor. The drinkability is high on this one. I could easily drink three of these but the abv is too high for it to be a session beer for me. This beer is very well balanced and has a clean taste to it. This is a beer that I go back to more than others. By far one of my favorite IPA's. Highly recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Poured a honey colored amber, almost completely clear. Plenty of visible carbonation. Three finger white pillowy head. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Strong nose of sweet floral and citrusy hops, with a pine and grapefruit as well. Bordering on syrupy/resiny and above average sweetness. Little in the way of malts.

Taste: More mild hops flavors than in the nose and well balanced with a malt body. Sweet grapefruit and pine hops in the beginning, with a good malt middle, finally ending with lingering pine.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Some hop bite.

Drinkability: An excellent IPA. Excellent hop profile in the nose. More mild hops in the taste, but decently balanced. Not overly bitter or harsh like some IPAs. Very good.

Buy Again? Yes.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer! It is the right mix of affordability, accessibility, and flavor! If you are looking to enter the world of craft beer tasting, Two Hearted is the perfect introduction!

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

I haven't reviewed this one yet??? Let's change that...
Heavily clouded peach-orange body. Alpine-esque head never recedes past the 3/4" mark. Massive, thick, sculptable.
Grapefruit hoppy resinous nose. Not quite eye-watering, but fairly intense.
Bitter as hell.
Searing concentrated grapefruit, sprinkled with alum and pine needles. Metallic notes as well. The hops have come to play. The big malt body helps balance. It mostly just adds heft, but brings with it some faint toasted toffee notes. Tangerine is thrown in here as well, adding some fruity sweetness. Almost sugary at times. Yeast is a major player here too, as with most of Kzoo's stuff. There is plenty of weird shit going on in the background. Veggies? Gravel? Dandelions? Socks? Cardboard? These could almost qualify as off-flavors, but they are only ephemeral, quickly crushed under the hop tidal wave. They do, however, keep this from scoring a perfect 5 taste-wise.
Hefty bodied, with tons of amphetamine-riddled tiny bubbles. Absolutely perfect for a big IPA.
Has been, and will continue to be right near the top of my list.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a great IPA. In my opinion the best way to describe this beer is very well balanced. The hop presence is strong, but the body of the beer is a perfect match to create a fusion between hop and sugars for a homogeneous beer. Does that even make sense? I dunno, but this is a great IPA I would recommend it to anyone!

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Scoring this high with a 7%ABV and $10/six, don't know of more good beer for your money. For now, my go-to beer. This is (for my palate) much closer to a British pale ale or bitter, vice the citrus and pine IPAs now ubiquitous here.

The pour looks to me again, like a British pale ale, a warm bronze-orange body with a tight, ecru head dissipating to a ring. I picture it on a worn oak bar--it's that familiar.

Smooth, rich, complex...it has it all. The finish is stunning, bursting with a crisp zing reminiscent of older, famous eastern European pilsners. How they pull that off and keep the mature bitter snap to it is beyond me, but why analyze a sunset?

95 is a very high score, but well deserved. If you factor in bang for your buck, it's way closer to 100. Next time I have it, gonna make sure I have some serious pretzels. That's the only thing this beer doesn't bring to the table.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap pours a beautiful golden orange with a smallish white head. Citrus pine aromas dominate the smell. Beautifully balanced combination of sweet malt with an understated hop bitterness in the flavor. Silky smooth mouthfeel. A wonderful example of a session IPA with very high marks for drinkability. My first Bell's beer, but it certainly won't be my last.
On tap at Howard's Pub 11/27/09
Simply outstanding. The most citrus in an IPA I've ever encountered. Like eating an orange with peel attached.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Outstanding in every respect.
Quickly became a fovorite of mine.
Tastes full.
Good head, leaving lace as you drink.
Poured into glass about halfway so head could build.
I found this beer awhile ago at a World Market as a single and have been buying this, and others on a regular basis.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

After discussing the label on another thread, I thought I should post a review.

A- 12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. The head is a tight egg white foam peppered with larger bubbles. it stands about a finger and quickly comes down to a solid lace. The beer is a hazy honey color.

S- Honey sweet with some notes of citrus hops underneath. The combo comes off as a bit strawberry.

T- This is what an IPA is all about! Sweet bitter hops kick with a grapefruit finish. mixes in those honey notes, Malt comes through a bit as it warms in your mouth. Everything is well balanced

M- Very smooth start and the bitter creeps its way down your throat. Perfect carbonation, it tickles, there is some substance to it, it wants to linger but doesn't over stay it's welcome. The after taste floats in the mouth instead of laying down on the tongue.

D- Very drinkable. One makes me want another. This will be great for out on the deck on a hot summer night. This is one to come back to again and again.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Whoa! What an amazing looking beer. Foamy white head that leaves large patches on the sides of the glass as I drain it. Hippity hoppity hop-hops! Helluvan aroma. Bursting in my nasal cavity. Creamy and smooth IPA?! Don't get me wrong, it's crisp and pops on your tongue, but very clean. Fantastic IPA. Supremely drinkable. I am not a hophead, but this is a great IPA choice.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. This is my perfect american ipa. Had on draft.

Lots of citrus and floral hop aroma and taste without the typical bitterness, along with a perfect balance of sweet malts and enough bitterness to balance everything out. Low on piney hops, which aren't my favorite anyway. Easy drinking, every time I put I down I went back for another sip. Definitely feels and tastes like a session ale, figured it was closer to 5%. Seems like a kicked up pale ale.

This beer is not overly complex, but everything is in perfect balance, and it's crazy tasty. Can definitely see why this gets so much love.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a Bell's logo pint glass.Peach colored with a white fizzy head that fades fairly quickly. Smell is grassy with citrus notes. Taste is nice bready slightly nutty body with some serious citrus notes. Grapefruit, orange with slightly sweet malty base. Hops are well balanced and coat the palate for a great lingering aftertaste. This is my favorite IPA. The carbonation, hop balance, slight sweetness are really in perfect harmony. This is one of those "deserted island" type beers.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is THE beer everyone.
From west to east coast none shines brighter. TH mixes west coast and Brit-coast IPA resulting in perfection.

A - Orange-red haze - the deep red I see is distinct.
S - Hopp-y, Hopp-y, joy, joy. It is wonderful.
T - Unlike anything you will ever taste - hops, tart, pine, and mellow citrus.
M - Thick, and thick again. TH will coat your existence.
D - The first one gives you the ability to change lives and taste miracles; however, as you go on, you may want to ensure employment.

Two-hearted reigns supreme over all!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just finished enjoying a couple of bottles of this beauty!
A very well balanced, hoppy IPA,with a smooth finish. Really like the fact that the 7 % alc. is not noticeable whatsoever. Colour is a medium amber with a more yellow- orange tinge. Would gladly buy more & would recommend this one to IPA lovers.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my 1st review, be kind. ;-)

A bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- The beers appearance is a nice cloudy golden orange with an almost 1 inch head. Lacing left all around the glass.

S- Smell is of light citrus hops with maybe a bit of pine.

T- Incredible hop bite that holds on and doesn't let go. I certainly can understand that if someone didn't like really heavy hops why this wouldn't work for them. But for me this is really a great IPA

M- What can I say? A lovely bite at the front of the tongue. Very refreshing.

D- This beer goes down way to easy, the taste is so good to me I can't hardly wait for the next sip.

Overall I am very impressed with the effort the brewery put in.

The only downfall. It wouldn't make a great session beer due to its 7% alcohol level. I can live with that.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Truly a beautiful beer. Deep, hazy golden orange/amber, with a large, 2-finger pillowy head that fully lasting and left plenty of lacing.

S: Crisp, with lots of spicy, floral, and earthy hops. Some grapefruit.

T: Very hop forward, but with just enough carmel malts to calm the bitterness. The hops follow the nose - floral, spicy, and a little bit earthy.

F: Crisp, soft, and medium bodied.

O: Delicious. Balanced, crisp - truly wonderful. Would recommend, and will be buying much, much more.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

A - Light copper, pours a hazy with effervescence. Nice full head; wee bit of lacing.

S - Abundantly floral, with pine, grass, overtone of grapefruit. ROunded out with a perfect sour-sweet malt. Same profile as plenty of IPAs, but this smells assuredly balanced.

T - Big citric bitter burst up front. Tapers off fine into a good bready-English malt palate. Vibrant and flavorful, but still completely refreshing. A nice sweet/bitter balance that yields notes of blossoms, cinnamon and orange as it warms a bit.

M - More full and sticky than I'd expect, given how drinkable it is.

O - Really blown away by this. I cannot count how many IPA's I've had in my life, but finally trying the Two-Hearted Ale I see why it's such a mainstay of the Midwest. This one is magnificent.

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

I hardly know what to say about this beer. I have more Two Hearted under (beneath?) my belt than any other beer. Impeccably balanced hops and malt hid the abv so well that I only recently discovered how high it is-- by chancing upon the mini-keg version.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

All world IPA, amazing tropical flavors and a great balance of smoothness and sweetness. Amazing that this is readily available on shelf's. If this were harder to acquire it would be up there with all the world class IPA's. Theres nothing i can knock Two Hearted on~

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Nice, orangish clean and clear

S- Citrus. Grapefruit, lemon, and floral.

T- Citrusy notes. Crisp, lemon/grapefruit. Nice even-not over powering-hop flavor.

M- flows good down to the gut. Finishes easy not too dry.

O- This is my go to IPA. Easy to drink with a nice kick. I love a citrusy beer and this one hits the mark.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer is beautifully crafted to be one of the most tasty easy drinking IPAs I have had to date. Thanks to 'YBSober' for this beer.

Appearance: Pours a magnificent orange peach color with a huge head that lasts and lasts. Then heavy sheets of lacing decorate the glass.

Smell: Tons of fresh orange rinds. I cracked open the bottle and even before I poured the beer my wife asked (from across the room) "Is that an orange beer?" It is that bold in the initial orange citrus aroma. It settles to a perfect level of citric orange rind and sweet toasted malt.

Taste: If you have ever juiced your own oranges in a juicer you can peel off the top orange layer and leave the white rinds on the orange that you juice. It makes a more bold tart tasty fresh orange juice. This beer reminded me of that juice I used to make. My juicer is still in the attic from when we moved. I think it will stay there and I will get more of this Two Hearted Ale. Wow!

Mouthfeel: So remarkably smooth. A bit juicy with just a bit of a hop nibble keeping the medium/light body interesting.

Drinkability: Now that I have met this beer, buy stock in Bell's Brewery because I am on a quest for cases. I could drink this all day everyday. It really hits the spot and is remarkably easy to drink!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

A golden orange-ish yellow pale (duh) pour with a finger and a half of white head that went down with a lot of lacing to a thin layer on top. The smell was absolutely delicious. The best smelling beer I think I've come across. Pine and sweetness, some grapefruit, a bushel of hops. Taste was overpowering at first, but after a few sips I've come to quite enjoy it. Same tastes as the smell would suggest, with a fair amount of bitterness. Finishes dry, with a delicious taste on my tongue. Silky light-medium body that allows the beer to be drank very easily. Extremely drinkable, especially for over 7% abv.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. This is one damn fine example of an American IPA. Fine craftsmanship here.

A: Pale yellow or a hazy orange. Poured vigorously and the head was a good 2 fingers. Nice lacing here as well.

S: Floral hop aroma with plenty of citrus burn on the back of the nose. Great.

T: This is one tremendous IPA. Hops are powerful and hit right to the taste without messing around. The balance was there and the citrus bitterness was tight.

M: Absolutely great coating from the oily hops that has such good texture.

D: The alcohol is hardly noticeable and it just goes down so smooth, I could drink these all night- wish I was able to get more out East. I put this one right on part with the 90 minute.

Definitely recommend, not much more to say. Thanks Jtrockchalk for this one, cant wait for more of these.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Has a pretty standard golden IPA color with a extremely slight cloudiness. Has excellent head retention that leaves some impressive lacing on the sides of the glass. Definitely gives off an awesome citrus hop aroma. The taste follows up with that same citrus hop punch. Nice hop flavor that is balanced very well. Has a slightly oily mouthfeel, but this doesn't take anything away from the beer. This is one of the easiest drinking IPAs that I have ever had. Great flavor to go with the drinkability. Definitely one of the top three IPAs I have ever had.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.