Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,417 | Ratings: 13,687
4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a Bell's logo pint glass.Peach colored with a white fizzy head that fades fairly quickly. Smell is grassy with citrus notes. Taste is nice bready slightly nutty body with some serious citrus notes. Grapefruit, orange with slightly sweet malty base. Hops are well balanced and coat the palate for a great lingering aftertaste. This is my favorite IPA. The carbonation, hop balance, slight sweetness are really in perfect harmony. This is one of those "deserted island" type beers.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is THE beer everyone.
From west to east coast none shines brighter. TH mixes west coast and Brit-coast IPA resulting in perfection.

A - Orange-red haze - the deep red I see is distinct.
S - Hopp-y, Hopp-y, joy, joy. It is wonderful.
T - Unlike anything you will ever taste - hops, tart, pine, and mellow citrus.
M - Thick, and thick again. TH will coat your existence.
D - The first one gives you the ability to change lives and taste miracles; however, as you go on, you may want to ensure employment.

Two-hearted reigns supreme over all!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just finished enjoying a couple of bottles of this beauty!
A very well balanced, hoppy IPA,with a smooth finish. Really like the fact that the 7 % alc. is not noticeable whatsoever. Colour is a medium amber with a more yellow- orange tinge. Would gladly buy more & would recommend this one to IPA lovers.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my 1st review, be kind. ;-)

A bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- The beers appearance is a nice cloudy golden orange with an almost 1 inch head. Lacing left all around the glass.

S- Smell is of light citrus hops with maybe a bit of pine.

T- Incredible hop bite that holds on and doesn't let go. I certainly can understand that if someone didn't like really heavy hops why this wouldn't work for them. But for me this is really a great IPA

M- What can I say? A lovely bite at the front of the tongue. Very refreshing.

D- This beer goes down way to easy, the taste is so good to me I can't hardly wait for the next sip.

Overall I am very impressed with the effort the brewery put in.

The only downfall. It wouldn't make a great session beer due to its 7% alcohol level. I can live with that.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Truly a beautiful beer. Deep, hazy golden orange/amber, with a large, 2-finger pillowy head that fully lasting and left plenty of lacing.

S: Crisp, with lots of spicy, floral, and earthy hops. Some grapefruit.

T: Very hop forward, but with just enough carmel malts to calm the bitterness. The hops follow the nose - floral, spicy, and a little bit earthy.

F: Crisp, soft, and medium bodied.

O: Delicious. Balanced, crisp - truly wonderful. Would recommend, and will be buying much, much more.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

A - Light copper, pours a hazy with effervescence. Nice full head; wee bit of lacing.

S - Abundantly floral, with pine, grass, overtone of grapefruit. ROunded out with a perfect sour-sweet malt. Same profile as plenty of IPAs, but this smells assuredly balanced.

T - Big citric bitter burst up front. Tapers off fine into a good bready-English malt palate. Vibrant and flavorful, but still completely refreshing. A nice sweet/bitter balance that yields notes of blossoms, cinnamon and orange as it warms a bit.

M - More full and sticky than I'd expect, given how drinkable it is.

O - Really blown away by this. I cannot count how many IPA's I've had in my life, but finally trying the Two-Hearted Ale I see why it's such a mainstay of the Midwest. This one is magnificent.

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

I hardly know what to say about this beer. I have more Two Hearted under (beneath?) my belt than any other beer. Impeccably balanced hops and malt hid the abv so well that I only recently discovered how high it is-- by chancing upon the mini-keg version.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

All world IPA, amazing tropical flavors and a great balance of smoothness and sweetness. Amazing that this is readily available on shelf's. If this were harder to acquire it would be up there with all the world class IPA's. Theres nothing i can knock Two Hearted on~

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Nice, orangish clean and clear

S- Citrus. Grapefruit, lemon, and floral.

T- Citrusy notes. Crisp, lemon/grapefruit. Nice even-not over powering-hop flavor.

M- flows good down to the gut. Finishes easy not too dry.

O- This is my go to IPA. Easy to drink with a nice kick. I love a citrusy beer and this one hits the mark.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer is beautifully crafted to be one of the most tasty easy drinking IPAs I have had to date. Thanks to 'YBSober' for this beer.

Appearance: Pours a magnificent orange peach color with a huge head that lasts and lasts. Then heavy sheets of lacing decorate the glass.

Smell: Tons of fresh orange rinds. I cracked open the bottle and even before I poured the beer my wife asked (from across the room) "Is that an orange beer?" It is that bold in the initial orange citrus aroma. It settles to a perfect level of citric orange rind and sweet toasted malt.

Taste: If you have ever juiced your own oranges in a juicer you can peel off the top orange layer and leave the white rinds on the orange that you juice. It makes a more bold tart tasty fresh orange juice. This beer reminded me of that juice I used to make. My juicer is still in the attic from when we moved. I think it will stay there and I will get more of this Two Hearted Ale. Wow!

Mouthfeel: So remarkably smooth. A bit juicy with just a bit of a hop nibble keeping the medium/light body interesting.

Drinkability: Now that I have met this beer, buy stock in Bell's Brewery because I am on a quest for cases. I could drink this all day everyday. It really hits the spot and is remarkably easy to drink!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

A golden orange-ish yellow pale (duh) pour with a finger and a half of white head that went down with a lot of lacing to a thin layer on top. The smell was absolutely delicious. The best smelling beer I think I've come across. Pine and sweetness, some grapefruit, a bushel of hops. Taste was overpowering at first, but after a few sips I've come to quite enjoy it. Same tastes as the smell would suggest, with a fair amount of bitterness. Finishes dry, with a delicious taste on my tongue. Silky light-medium body that allows the beer to be drank very easily. Extremely drinkable, especially for over 7% abv.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. This is one damn fine example of an American IPA. Fine craftsmanship here.

A: Pale yellow or a hazy orange. Poured vigorously and the head was a good 2 fingers. Nice lacing here as well.

S: Floral hop aroma with plenty of citrus burn on the back of the nose. Great.

T: This is one tremendous IPA. Hops are powerful and hit right to the taste without messing around. The balance was there and the citrus bitterness was tight.

M: Absolutely great coating from the oily hops that has such good texture.

D: The alcohol is hardly noticeable and it just goes down so smooth, I could drink these all night- wish I was able to get more out East. I put this one right on part with the 90 minute.

Definitely recommend, not much more to say. Thanks Jtrockchalk for this one, cant wait for more of these.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Has a pretty standard golden IPA color with a extremely slight cloudiness. Has excellent head retention that leaves some impressive lacing on the sides of the glass. Definitely gives off an awesome citrus hop aroma. The taste follows up with that same citrus hop punch. Nice hop flavor that is balanced very well. Has a slightly oily mouthfeel, but this doesn't take anything away from the beer. This is one of the easiest drinking IPAs that I have ever had. Great flavor to go with the drinkability. Definitely one of the top three IPAs I have ever had.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

I have had this on tap previously, and I wish that I would have reviewed it then, but alas, I didn't have anything to write with at the time -- however, it is still exceptional in the bottle as well.

Appearance: Light amber in color, a very little bit of cloudiness to it, and a strong head from the pour -- I would say a little over two fingers. The head lingered for a while and shrunk to a solid lacing that lasted the entire glass.

Smell: Nice hops, and fruity -- I would say apple - so much so in fact that I would say it smelled just a little bit like a cider.

Taste: I'm a big fan -- a nice hearty ale that is wonderfully bitter. When I had it on tap, I would say it tasted a little like a Ruination, but in the bottle it doesn't come across as closely or as strong.

Mouthfeel: Exactly what I would expect from the smell -- at first it makes you salivate, then it dries relatively quickly. It doesn't feel heavy at all, which leads me too...

Drinkability: An outstanding brew -- I became a fan when I had it on tap and I will always feel good about buying this when I come across it. It doesn't feel too heavy at all, so I could easily use this as a session beer.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to BEERchitect for my first taste of Bell's offerings.

2 months old bottle (due to international shipping issues, it was really really fresh when he sent it the first time).

A: Quite aggressive pour gave half a finger of a pure white creamy looking head. The beer itself is definitely blonde and it is almost translucent. Retention is ok and lacing is pretty good.

S: There is a lot of juicy red grapefruit in this. Lots of pineapple, mango, apricot and orange/lime juice in this. Juicy and exotic. There is also a fair amount of piny hops and mint in the smell. Also, there is a solid malt backbone to the smell that shows in caramel and honey notes.

T: WOW, this goes straight along with the exotic fruits of the smell with the red grapefruit, pineapple, mango, apricot, orange juice. Again, solid amount of piny hops and some mint. Now, the malt backbone is very solid: you get honey, caramel, cake, biscuit. Very very good and balanced.

M: Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation. Not sticky at all.

O: This is the king of the regular IPA (IMO, didn't taste them all). This is, again IMO, better than Blind Pig. Although Blind Pig was really good, it was only hops and some sweetness that would make the overall beer taste more "juicy" (IOW, giving the sugar to the hops to make the beer taste more like exotic fruits). Extremely drinkable, I cannot recommend this enough. I can't imagine how good it must be when it is really fresh.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

Simple off-white colored head, gets close to one finger and runs off into a thin coating across the surface, the lacing shows more tenacity and stickiness. Red to brunt orange in color, takes on a more metallic yellow or rust cast around the rims, clear enough to watch the fat bubbles swim upwards. The nose offers up sweet pink grapefruit and tangerine citrus in spades, wheat, rye and soda bread notes, brawny apricot, peach, pineapple fruit scents, warm spring day explosion of fresh flowers, digs in without bruising. Medium-bodied, lively and energetic from the first sip to last, the carbonation dances a tango across the tongue. The pink grapefruit, tangerine, lime citrus slightly more bitter here, just as much as an overpowering presence. Pretty peach, apricot, pear fruit, swells until pine sap, rye and granola in addition to a malt smoothness brings things closer to earth and elongates the experience into more than a series of punctuation marks. With each bottle it's drained before you think it's even half done.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Is simply amazing glowing orange amber tone with an off white massive off white tinted orange cream color head that rises well above the rim of the glass holding together very nicely lacing is thick evenly spread wow what a great appearance, just absolutely perfect. Aroma: Piney with an edge of sweet peach juice malted like an extract form the hops hold dominance on all other competitive components, but citrus orange peel and flower cascades all come to play at this hop gathering. Even after getting the bottle as empty as I could, I smelled inside the bottle to be greated with a robust rush of hops, now that's what I call hop aroma. Flavor: Simply crisp bitterness blended with a malt backbone not as syrupy sweet compared to the likes of a barley wine esque Double IPA but this one holds it's ground as being one of the best IPAs I have ever tasted. Such a good IPA wish I had this one at my disposal, because this is a buy by the case beer all the way. The layers of different hops that harmonize here is uncanny I can literally pick out seperate hop components earthy tones, pine cone like, flowery, citrus zest it's all here this beer is amazing. Mouthfeel: Carbonation solid all the way through body is medium to light I wish there was just a tad more texture my only complaint. Drinkability: Dead on as can be yearning for a bigger supply than just one bottle I am really enjoying this beer it is christening the gameday as my first beer for the final meeting of the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Virginia Tech Hokies, go 'eers!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a craft staple in the Michigan area. It's a bottle conditioned ale with plenty of that robust piney flavor. This is my "Go to" beer if the selection is limited or if I'm just looking for a trusted favorite. I hold this Michigan favorite in high regard to all other IPA's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent beer!
A: Golden hue, impressive pour with thick long lasting head
S: party for the nose! spice, hops, full power feel
T: this is the best part....some say over rated, I say one of the best beers i've had in 30 years of drinking! This has full body, nothing thin about it, tastes roll around in your mouth, makes you want for more! citrus, hops, spice its all here.
M: very full bodied, almost chewey, thick and delicious
O: deserves an everyday place in my fridge. I dorve 2.5hrs 1 way to get a case of this in PA and it was worth it. I kept 1 sixer for "next time". Hard to find on east coast, but deserves better distribution.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this was a beer id heard alot about so had to try.

A- Bubbly with a nice head. decent retention. golden orangish yellow.

S- mostly pine. citrus.

T-grapefruit, pine, citrus, floral notes as well.

M- crisp and clean on the palate. slightly lingering bitterness.

D- easy drinking you can have a session with these.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into my DFH Signature Glass.

A--Wonderful tangerine orange with a white fluffy head that produced a mammoth head with a hard pour. Great retention all the way down the glass.

S--Smells of hops, pine cones, citrus, and fresh cut grass. Little bit of a citrus bite up front with a heavy hop wallop at the end.

T--Follows the nose fantastically. It has an amazing grassy, piny flavor. Love the taste of citrus on this. Pineapple, grapefruit, and a hint of coriander. The grassy aftertaste is dank on the tongue.

M--Light body with medium carbonation. The tongue is left with a heavy bitter flavor that lasts a long time after the sip is finished.

O--This is one of my top 5 favorite IPAs. If it were more readily available it would be a fridge staple. It is definitely something I will be seeking out in the future.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks of a reddish amber with a decent head that sticks around. Smells of citrusy hops and sweet malt. The taste of this beer blows me away. It is quite tasty with citrus flavors of orange and grapefruit. The malt backbone holds strong keeping the strong hops in balance. All around maybe one of my favorite IPAs for its unique taste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A = Clear amber color with a good amount of carbonation for an American style IPA. Clean white head.

S = Wonderful aroma of hops. Lots of grapefruit character.

T = Lots of hop bitterness, but supported by a clean maltiness. Out of this world citrus flavors that further entice the palate. I was not able to perceive any alcohol flavor.

M = Very crisp and dry with just enough substance to support the slight warmth of the alcohol content.

D = For being a 7% beer this is incredibly drinkable.

One of my all time favorites and the beer that I judge all other IPAs by. Powerful but well balanced. I even like the fish on the bottle!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man this beer is good. I've had it a number of times in a number of forms, and although they're all excellent, I think I prefer it on tap. The flavor's are an amazing mix of piney hops and a perfect sweet caramel malt. There's just an amazing mix of sweet and bitter that somehow makes this one immensely drinkable. Body is perfect for the style. It's a dog race between this one and the Hopslam for more insanely amazing Bell's most delicious hop bomb.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy, honeylike orange-amber with a full, rocky white head that retained very well. Presented an inviting aroma of floral hops with some piney and citrus notes.

The taste was about the most perfect example of an American IPA I can think of. Strong floral hops up front, balanced out by a smooth, delicate maltiness toward the middle, transforming into a hoppy, bitter, dry finish that didn't linger too much in an unpleasant way.

Very crisp, refreshing mouthfeel with outstanding drinkability. This is one I'd desperately like to be able to have around, but Bell's doesn't distribute in Massachusetts so I'm limited to my yearly trip home to Michigan. Too bad. This would probably be my go-to, 6-pack-in-the-fridge-at-all-times beer.

I also had one last night on tap at All-Season Grill in East Lansing -- very nice as well, but I preferred it out of the bottle.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.