Join our email list →

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

American IPA | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,355 | Hads: 13,405

Wow, just wow.

Pours a hazy dirty orange straw with tantalizing lacing and a smooth, bountiful head that dissipates suitably quickly.

The aroma on this beer is phenomenal. An orange-y, almost passion fruit sweetness hits the nose... not sickly sweet and overpowering, but pleasantly enticing.

The taste is something of a shock. The bitterness hits up front and rides a wave out as hits of orange and lemon with just a hint of malt... the hops seem citrusy with just a hint of flower in the nose. It finishes clean and dry, with a touch of sweetness that's canceled out. It's remarkably refreshing, and easy drinking.

No west coast hop bomb here, the body is light, and while there's some crisp carbonation the mouth is mainly smooth as silk.

I could, and feel the desire to, drink this all night long. There's not much more to an IPA I would want than this. Stone IPA has always been my stand-out favorite, even with such luminary brews as HopDevil and 60 Min. readily available... it's got competition now.

A pantheon level brew.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

a - deep golden color, pretty cloudy, one inch dense white head that has good retention, nice lacing

s - very floral hop aroma, piney too, some citrus in there

t - slightly sweet and piney up front with the bitterness quickly developing after that to fill the whole mouth, the finish is long and bitter with notes of citrus

m - medium-bodied with ample, yet not overdone, carbonation, very crisp

d - the perfect session IPA in my book, I could drink this all night

Two Hearted is what I measure all other IPAs against. It's everything I look for in an IPA and a beer in general. I just wish I could get it regularly where I'm at.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A - Hazy, light golden tangelo color. Fairly full, fluffy, creamy, cloud-like head. Great retention that leaves a full and creamy lace.

S - Great, juicy, strong hop flavor with plenty of grapefruit, orange, apricot and tropical fruits along with a nice touch of floral hops. Somewhat sweet and a great balance of bitterness too. Wonderful smelling beer.

T - Nice balance between the malt and hops. A good backbone of pale malt with a slight caramel, sweetness. On top of that is a good mix of citrus and some tropical fruit hops along with floral and slightly herbal hops. The fruitiness (in particular the tropical fruit) aren't quite as strong as the aroma, but are definitely present. Has a nice bitterness that lingers a bit, but it is well balanced with the slightly sweet malt taste. On the finish some more sweet orange hop flavor comes out. Well balanced with all the flavors.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy feel. A little thin but not bad.

D - Very easy to drink and tasty beer. Extremely balanced beer with lots of flavor.

Notes: Batch 9892. Very good and easy to drink beer. Extremely balanced between hops and malt and between hop flavors. Very good, and enjoyable IPA, especially for one that is easy to get (in the Midwest at least). Not the best beer in the world, but a very tasty one that I would keep stocked.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Maybe my favorite beer. Bursting with flavor is how I would describe it. I was floored on the first taste. I actually said wow out loud. Probably the beer I will compare the rest to from now on.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured this 12 oz. into a Stone IPA flute/pils glass. No freshness date, but an inkjet #7327. The body was a cloudy amber/orange and the head rose to about two inches but dwindled to slight lacing. (I'm still perfecting a vigorous pour).

Smelled of apple candy and bread. A sour dish-cloth wiff appeared and faded quickly.

The taste was magnificent. Complex, first tart, then sweet, then bitter, then balanced. Cascades of different tastes kept this one very interesting. Grapefruits and creamy butterscotch alternated back and forth. The flavors seemed to meld and mellow as it warmed. A fine interplay of bitter hops and sweet malts.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with low carbonation--pleasantly moderate.

I will definitely return to this AIPA.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

The revered Two-Hearted ale, mm, finally. High expectations coming into this, I hope it lives up to the hype.

Pours from the 12 oz bottle a cloudy, translucent orange. Frothy white head adorns the top like a crown.

Smells of citrus and flowery hops, piney, smells juicy. Me likey.

The thing I like about this beer is the way the hops and malt and body seem to be one and all. A perfectly balanced beer to me. Hops aren't too dominant, although they are very present. Malt is there, again, not too sweet. I love this stuff.

I could easily put down a 6 pack of this stuff. Truely magnificent drinkability for an IPA, and incredibly balanced. One of my new favorite beers.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Top hit of a fresh keg at the Tav on Germain in St. Cloud. While the rotation here is slow for reasons beyond there control, it at least rotates, which is more than can be said for any other bar within a 50 mile radius.

A: Heavy foam on the pour but the bartender poured poor/it was the first pour or close to it. The head is was white and frothy smooth. The Beer is golden with a tint of orange. Great active carbonation.

S: Fresh piney-citrus hops, a perfect blend at a perfect strength, with just the perfect little touch of sweetness.

T: Very close to the smell, maybe a little more citrus from the hops, and there's more malt. There is absolutely no alcohol.

M: As with all good IPAs, it's creamy with a full body, but that's tempered by the biting of the hops.

D: Fantastic. I can never believe this beer is 7% abv. I could drink a pitcher of this beer myself easily, but it satisfies even with just a pint.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

G: Poured into a Bell's pint glass.

A: A slightly pale orange/apricot color with a good mostly-white head.

S: Hops, hops, and hops. Lots of floral and citrus aromas.

T: Again, bright citrus and floral hops with a pretty good malt backbone.

M: Light-to-medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation.

D: A great night-long IPA. I was so sorely disappointed when this left Chicago, but I'm so glad to have it back.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange. Thick, fluffy, rocky head with great retention and lacing. The smell is probably the best I've ever experienced in an IPA. A great blend of those bitter hops with a strong citrus accent to it. Taste is incredible too. Very well balanced, obviously it leans more to the hop side but the hops arent overly dominant. They are there and present, but there is a malty sweetness to it as well. Taste very "fresh" and clean, just a great IPA. Carbonation is moderate and I'd say a medium mouthfeel to it. There is a slightly bitter, oily hop residue left behind. Overall this is just a great beer and I couldnt be more impressed.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This sample thanks to TastyTaste.

Pours a hazy, lazy orange with a thick head that dissipates and leaves lacing on the glass. Lacing and I haven't even taken a sip. Awesome. Aroma is overly citrusy with a noseful of hops. A soft aroma much like sticking your nose into a bag of Centennials.Yummy and floral Taste is softly citrus with a pine/wood finish that leaves that distinct hop bitterness on the palate. Lingers Lingers. Excellent full carbonation. I really could make this a session ale. Drinkability is hight. I've gotten these on trades and via friends, so I have a high reviewing expectation and it doesn't disappoint.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Be careful pouring this one and many (most/all?) of the Bell's. There's about 1/8 inch of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I always pour very slowly and stop when the sediment is about to leave the bottle - it definitley spoils the appearance and (IMO) the taste as well.

Other than that - I love this beer! The smell is very much IPA, but it has a very unusual taste. Almost too strong - right on the border between great and bizarre, which makes it interesting.

The mouthfeel is a bit harsh - acidic? I don't know - but that's why I reduced the drinkability too. Smell & taste keep me coming back. Sediment and mouthfeel give me pause.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Pours a slightly cloudy copperish with a perfect looking head. The head diminishes into a beautiful lacing that lasts the whole drink.

S- Floral, sweet, and just enough malt to back it up. One of the best smelling beers I have ever had the pleasure to quaff. Words can hardly do it justice.

T- Very very balanced but hops are dominant. No "caramel" sneaking up on you, or any vegetable-y hops there either. Pure floral Centennial hops. I have often wished they made an air freshener out of this brew.

M- Very clean. The carbonation is very well done, not too much or little.

D- I could drink this beer every day at all times.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Pours a nice, hazy honey color with a one-inch off white foam head that leaves great lacing.

Smell: Gorgeous floral hop aroma with hints of pine! You can smell it from across the room!

Taste: Incredibly floral hop aroma with just the right amount of bitterness. The alcohol comes in lightly at the end, the perfect clean finish!

Mouthfeel: Very light and carbonated, but not in an offensive way. Leaves a nice, piney bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not too heavy or palate-ruining but still has the nice IPA bitterness. I could definitely have another one, or three...

Wow, this is one great brew. I think even people who aren't into IPAs would probably find this one very palatable. I will definitely work this into the regular rotation. If you can find it, make the purchase.

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale:

Crystal clear vigorous pour put a huge head on this puppy…hope the hops don’t get lost in it. No chance…big, piney hops nose and flavor. Good lord what a beer! Very easy malt presence but the freakin’ hops is what this beer is all about. An IPA for IPA lovers, and just too damn drinkable.

Cheers…

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I've had it on-tap and I've had it from the bottle. This just seems to be near perfect in every aspect. Pour is light golden with a fluffy off white head. Pretty good carbonation and lacing. Smell is of fresh grapefruit hops with an excellent floral aroma. Definitely one of the best smelling IPA's to me. The hops seem more inviting rather than aggressive although they are there throughout. Taste is exceptional. Grapefruit citrus hops with a sweet floral aroma. Great hop bite that is lightly malted as well but the hops surely dominate. Mouthfeel is tingly from the hops, yet smooth as they come. Nice crisp finish that stays on the tongue forever it seems. Drinkability is through the roof as well. As I said above the hops are there and definitely dominate but they are balanced in such a way that makes this the most refreshing and drinkable IPA out there. This is one of my favorite styles and Two Hearted seems to set the bar pretty high. It doesn't look much better than your average, though you can't judge a book by its cover. Highly recommended. Thanks to Scoobydank and Nathan15 for the bottles.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer is outstanding. I traded for two 6'er's of this (from pwoods, thank you sir) and have held off reviewing it because I didn't want to jump headlong into reviewing this beer. The truth remains though, this beer has a perfect hop/malt balance.

Maybe my palate is shellshocked from all the hoppy brews available out here, but I don't taste overpowering hops here as others have. There are hops, to be sure, but what this beer embodies more than any I've tried before is that elusive balance between bright hoppiness and sweet biscuity maltiness.

This is great as a barbecuing beer, completely sessionable.

What an outstanding beer this is, I wish this was readily available on the west coast.

So incredily drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I love this beer - especially on a warm summer night. Pours beautifully with a one inch head that dissipates fairly fast but leaves nice lacing. Smells awesome - hoppy, florally, citrusy thing of beauty. Tastes as good as it smells with plenty of citrus goodness and hop bitterness. If someone made me choose only one summer beer to drink for the remainder of my life, this would be it. Yummy stuff.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from growler in to imp. pint,Slight hazed orange goodness hue with a snow white head and good lacing.
Citrusy on the front mid and finish, awesome!
The citrus continous strong wih the right amount of golden bisciut.
Creamy sweet goodness, the carbonation is nice and soft. Medium mouthfeel.
This is a highly sessionable IPA, I love it.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A - This beer poured a pinkish amber color that produced a fluffy white head which had great retention and laced the side of the glass rather nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer had a grapefruit hoppiness that dominated the nose, but this was not a one sided thing, this beer had a very pleasant aroma that might even give Masala Mama a run for its money

T - The taste of this beer had a sweet buttery malty beginning that was quickly overtaken by an explosion of grapefruit hoppiness that was quite refreshing and tongue scraping at the same time, if its possible

M - The mouthfeel of this beer was right on the money, medium body with a light to moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was an incredibly well crafted IPA that I would like to do a blind tasting with Masala Mama, which I had thought as the greatest IPA until I tasted this beer

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper gold color with a thick frothy white head. It looks like a marketing photo of a beer in the glass. If it had some more lacing, I would give it a 5.

S: An abundance of citrus and piney hop aromas dominate the nose. Orange is the most noticeable of the citrus aromas to me. It has just the right amount of grainy malt aroma to mix with the hops. One of the more pleasantly smelling beers I can recall.

T: This is a very good beer. The hops and malts are extremely balanced. In fact, possibly the most balanced IPA I can recall tasting. The only reason I didn't give this one a 5 is because I was hoping for more of the citrus flavor from the hops instead of the pine flavor. That might be a bit picky, but I would still drink this one as often as possible if I didn't have to get it from another state.

M: Medium body beer with just the right amount of carbonation. It is enjoyable to roll around in the mouth.

D: IPAs may not generally be the most drinkable style with the amount of hops they have. This one is so balanced that the drinkability is outstanding. The alcohol is well hidden in this one as well. I could easily knock back 6 of these (if I could actually buy them here).

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Burnt amber pour with a mountanous peak of light beige head that retains like a champ and leaves cluttered clumps of lace.

Aroma is toffee malts, wildflower honey, and intense floral and citrus hops. Smell like I'm walking through a garden here! Sweet hop perfume, mmm.

Flavor is soft, caramel and scorched creme brule malt notes with a vigorous floral and citrus hop profile. Very well balanced, very hoppy, and oh so drinkable.

Body is between medium and large with a juicey, slick mouthfeel and soft, creamy texture. Very good all the way around!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a nice light copper-amberish color with orange highlights. The head is a off-white color, and leaves good lace. On the nose the aroma is of pine, grapefruit, hoppy and fruity. On the palate more pine, grapefruit flavor, citrus, hints of orange peels, delicate malt backbone bringing in some balance, and a little spiciness. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth and the finish is some-what dry.
Overall a great american styled IPA...

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This IPA pours a darker golden amber with a bright white head that holds very well and clings to the glass leaving great big walls of foamy lace.

Big, hoppy, piney aroma. Sweet, malty citrus: orange peel and grapefruit. Slightly spicy, but mostly lots of pungent floral/bitter hops. Exactly what I look for in this style.

Even more hops, bitter and mouthwatering. Some toasty malt and citrus. Subtle notes of pine and spice. Really well balanced and complex in flavor. Not a jumble of flavors; everything is well pronounced and organized. The flavors blend beauitfully.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Crisp and bitter but with a good lingering hoppiness. Not too dry. One of my favorite everyday IPAs. Also one of the best representations of the style that I can think of. Flavorful and very well balanced. Really excellent.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured a beautiful straw gold with a slight haze. Had a pocky head settling to frothy clumps, other times to a smooth sheen. Also had bulbous but inconsistent staining, and slick but nice lacing. Plenty of good miniscule carbonation rising quite quickly underneath helped support the efforts.

Smelled of grapefruit that tranquilize my nose with citric juice headiness, then tickled me with a textured pine scent, and occasionally threw me some hop leaf scents, too. All of these together tended to create a husky and peculiarly expressive combination. It opened to a depth of sweet apricot scents like putting your nose in grandma’s best marmalade. Settles into a glorious ambrosia of delights that is sometimes gilded by floral edges. Not bad, I guess, eh?

Taste was of a quite true grapefruit flavor followed by big floral hops. Had high-alpha bitterness but was soft and blended in impact, and supported by an easy pale sort of malt backbone. Unbelievably easy on the palette considering the complexity of hops. The finish was so tender, leaving some tart hop flavors and an ounce or two of dryness, but overall an easy load on the tongue. Burps up tasty grapefruit juice with spiky pine, for me a sign of a well-hopped beer. Highly drinkable, this beer’s session-like mouthfeel could use a touch more body and less carbonation.

Large enough to show its bold stripes, subtle enough to blend them together, this is a highly complex (in a quiet way) yet highly drinkable beer. Surprising power and complexity for a low abv IPA, yet delicately so. The best of the pale sort of American IPAs.

4.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. Smooth, crisp tasting beer with an outstanding color. Drink it from a very nice pilsner. A real treat. Most of our friends and relatives are crazy for this beer. It is one of my favorites. The smell is strong and powerful and the taste is excellent. 9-6-2014 This beer gets better every time I drink it. It is my favorite

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.