Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,303 | Hads: 13,084
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

If I were to make a list, 4 out of the 5 best IPAs I’ve ever had would be from California. This would be the one that’s not.

No doubt about it, this is a fan-fucking-tastic beer. I’ve waited a long time to try and when I finally got my hands on it – I got as much as I could. In Chicago, I had this on-tap every place I crossed that had it. I even had it on engine which was delicious but not quite as tasty as the regular draft.

This is a bold IPA for sure. It manages to walk the line between an IPA and a DIPA keeping the best aspects of each. The aroma is a gorgeous bouquet of pine and citrus hop flavors. The hop flavors are held in check by a sweet doughy malt character. It’s a very well made beer.

I could and did drink a bunch of these. I could drink it all day honestly. Can’t say enough good things about this one.

A terrific American IPA.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tumbler. (Hey, what am I gonna do? I'm reviewing this beer from a motel room on visit to the midwest.) Pleasing amber color with light persistent foam. Cloudier than most APAs.

Sweet citrus hop aroma predominates, though closer inspection reveals a hint of biscuity malt.

Taste... well, this is how it's done, people. Strong citrusy hop flavors are nicely balanced against a surprisingly light but sweet malt backbone.

Surprisingly light body.

Ridiculously drinkable. I could pour these down (if you'd give half a chance, I will).

I've seen polls that placed this beer second only to PtE in popularity, and I can see why. I can't imagine anyone (except perhaps the most pucker lipped hopheads) not enjoying this, and I would certainly rate it among the best American IPAs. I would give Pliny a solid edge by virtue of its fuller body, and its yeasty subtleties. Forced to choose at gunpoint, I might also take a Ruination, for sheer hoppy indulgence. But make no mistake: this is an outstanding beer, fully deserving of its great reputation, and competitive with the very best in its style. I'm jealous of you guys who get to drink it all the time.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my go to IPA. Always a consistent golden / orange with some haze. Floral, citrus scent that builds the anticipation. Taste of pine, citrus and sweet malt followed by a mellow bitterness. Mouthfeel is perfect, coats the tongue and sticks around just long enough. Overall, I am glad I can run down the block to pick up a 4 pack of cans whenever I want...think I will right now.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A tongue-punching I.P.A. that delivers a bold and heavy taste that is sure to quench any thirst. Great alcohol % for price/flavor. Robust color as well as sharp smell that hints its heavy bitter kick taste. A very highly recommended easy/slow sipper.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Finally got my hands on this while in PA for my cousin's wedding.

Poured from the bottle into my duval tulip. Has a nice dark amber body with a slight off white 2 finger head which left nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma - Lots of pine and citrus flavors coming through on the nose, some of the malt makes its presence shown.

Taste - Hops from the word go, this is a very complex brew. Lots of piney and citrus up front, and the hop bitterness combating the smooth sweet malt. Makes for a great combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium, alcohol notes are hidden well, but adds to the wonderful flavor of it. carbonation is great.

Overall - A very solid IPA at a nice ABV. What a great beer to have year around. I can't wait to pick up more of it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful golden orange color with a thick white head. Incredible floral aroma. Hops and citrus. One of the juiciest IPAs I have had, without being too bitter and without the sweetness of the malt backbone being too cloying. Grapefruit, tropical fruit. I even get some candied orange and extremely delicate caramel from the malt. Delicious. I could toss back a six pack and still want more.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Two Hearted Ale is a beer which will always have a place in my fridge. I lucked out with this sixer, as it's only two weeks old. This particular review comes from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a Guiness tulip-shaped pint glass.

Appearance: In terms of color, Two Hearted Ale is almost the picture-perfect American IPA. It pours a vibrant copper-apricot color with tinges of amber found where the glass gets fat. It's not as hazy as a lot of other IPA's but it's by no means transparent. The beer also has a real glow to it, I think because it was brewed, in part, by Jesus Christ. Atop the beer is a foamy two-finger head that subsides fairly rapidly to form a thin cover over the top of the liquid. There's not a whole lot in the way of lacing, but a few streaks find their way to the sides of my glass. I don't know if this should be considered when awarding scores for appearance, but I don't know if there's another beer that looks as appetizing to me than Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Smell: The scent of Two Hearted Ale is perfection achieved for an IPA. What a glorious floral, citric and juicy aroma this beer produces. This is a beer that makes absolutely zero qualms about being hop-centric and I am cherishing every whiff I get out of the glass. Though this is obviously a hopped up brew, the caramel malts also manage to sneak through and add a wonderful sugar-coated sensation to the already delectable hops.

Taste: Ah, so this is what Centennial hops taste like. They're in no short supply in Two Hearted Ale and they taste delicious. The hops floral and citric hops are again the most dominant characters in the taste, with a good deal of grapefruit and pine coming through as well. The malts are present but certainly to a lesser extent (as they damn well should be). Two Hearted is without a shadow of a doubt a great beer, but it's just a tad too subduedbecause it is just a tad subdued for my taste. Still, this is an outstanding hoppy beverage and one that I will imbibe in earnest.

Mouthfeel: This is a nicely carbonated beer and as such is very refreshing and somewhat crisp. The body, however, is lacking just a bit, in my opinion. It's just a little thinner than I would expect a great IPA to be, but it's by no means a turn-off to the beer. It is still extremely smooth and strikes just the right balance between being sticky and dry.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the bottle before I could comment on the drinkability and I think that will suffice as an explanation as to why this is a fantastically drinkable beer. It's exceptionally smooth and just has an inexplicable refreshing quality to it. The alcohol, though not being excessive at 7% is totally masked and plays no part in the taste. I could drink this beer all day and then some.

All said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a masterpiece of a beer. I've never been disappointed in the slightest margin by Larry Bell, and this beer is no exception. I can comfortably call this a world class IPA and a brew that I am eternally grateful is easily accessible to me. Two Hearted is my go-to beer if I'm need of a flavorful yet still drinkable beer and will continue to buy this beer until it is no longer made.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This was the second craft beer i had ever tried, again i was the type of person that enjoyed bud light before i found the world of craft beer. I have yet to find it on tap so i enjoyed it from a bottle.
APPEARANCE- a golden delicious nectar

SMELL- just like moms cooking

TASTE- remember the first time you tried ice cream

MOUTHFEEL- not to heavy, not to light, just right

DRINKABILITY- i dont remember!!!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Purchased at my local Publix (Tampa, FL). 6-pack for $10.99.. usually don't splurge on the non-local crafts, but I've heard good things, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

A- Pours dark golden stream. Unfiltered. Glorious. About a .25 inch of head, which is slowly dissipating into the beautiful murkiness.

A- Very hoppy and piney. Tingles the nostrils. Smells like your quintessential IPA, plus the added delicate notes of citrus.

F- Tastes very fruity/citrus-peely upfront... Then you get the carbonation and bitter tail-end. A very muli-faceted flavor profile that goes together swimmingly.

M- Mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. Just the right amount of carbonation.

O- This is a great "My First IPA!" beer for a budding young beer connoisseur because it's fucking delish.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bright clear orange-amber with thick, light tan head. Good head retention and lacing. Very good lacing.

Heavy floral hop aroma with light malt in the background. Not overwhelming hoppiness, though. Another beer that I could smell all day long and not get tired of.

Crisp bitterness. Highly hopped but with a nice malt balance. Top notch, both for the style and on its own.

Well balanced mouthfeel. Crisp and dry at the start with mellow finish.

Perhaps the most drinkable IPA I've had this year. I love drinking this beer.

Believe the hype. By far the best Bell's product I've had and an excellent IPA. Period. Worthy of my Beer HoF.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An all time favorite IPA. he aroma always jumps out at me. Great balance of hops and malt. The flavor is assertive but it goes down like a session beer. Incredible stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Glass fills with a bright yet murky golden orange liquid capped with a billowy monster of a white cumulus cloud head. Big chunky-butt rocky lacing. Most impressive.

I can smell the tangy citrus and evergreen/grassy hops from 5 feet away. Tons of hop aroma ride quite nicely atop a solid bed of citrus sweet candy.

Hello American IPA! This fantastic beer is packed with taste without succumbing to overdone bitterness levels or off-balanced maltiness.

This beer is extremely smooth and drinkable. Lots of nice crisp citrus hop aroma and flavor mixed with lightly toasty malt and a nice clean lemon finish.

I just realized that my case of this is almost empty and I had yet to review it. So I quickly banged out this review. I hope I did this beer some justice.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent American IPA.
It pours a nice golden color backed by a present hop aroma.
This American IPA is very well balanced. The ABV and hop ratio works in bringing out the bitterness and malt character. Overall this is a great example of an IPA

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is a model for the style. I usually look for a nice balance between hops and malts. This beer goes beyond striking a nice balance, instead blending the two flavors into a seamless, perfect marriage. Sweetness and bitterness, the perfect pair, with a tinge of citrus to mix things up.

The head is foamy and the mouthfeel soft and full, yet there's not a creaminess, which is a quality I often find distasteful in IPAs. The beer's ample lacing looks nice as it sticks to the glass after every lovely sip.

At 6%, this makes for a nice session beer. Its flavors will provide endless delights, yet will never overwhelm you as you drink glass after glass. Two hearts aren't enough to contain the love I feel for this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is your classic IPA, along with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Though I love hop heavy beers, what I love about this beer is that it is very good without having to be a typical West Coast IPA. The flavors are very unique, but familiar when you open a bottle and take that first sip.

Not only that, 2 of these won't knock you out. I wouldn't say it is sessionable, but delicious. I can't contemplate how the Stone IPA can garner a higher score than this.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer pours a hazy orange color with 3 fingers of head that don't seem to want to fall. The nose is a nice grapefruit with a bit of caramel sweetness to balance the hops. Smells really good to me. The flavor is actually a bit peppery and citriusy. I think the peppery is from the hop as well as is the citrus. The malt is in there, but the hop dominates so that the caramel just seems to fade into the back. Damn I do like this beer. One of the better IPA's I've had in a while. The feel is just a shade below moderate, a touch thin for my liking, but its not thin. Overall this beer is easy drinking and much better than I remember from when I was not a seasoned beer drinker. Damn I like it.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours with rich golden cloudy color and a fizzy seeming head. The head lasts a short time. A nice opaque color.

S: Strong, hoppy smell. If you like this sort of really hoppy beer, and I do, this is a very strong beer to consider. Lovely, floral, fresh. A bit citrusy, but not so much as Bell's Oberon.

T: In the last year, this has become my favorite beer, though I have had other IPA's without considering it one of my favorite styles. It's got a surplus of taste, if anything. Crisp.

M: This beer fills the mouth; no awful cloyingness. Just the right carbonation.

D: Its smooth, balanced flavor makes it very drinkable, though it's more of a half session beer for me due to its 7.0 ABV.

Not sure if this is the best IPA out there, but that's what these reviews are for, and it's certainly a contender.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

label reads: "...well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula." So - this beer is named after the great Hemingway short story "big two-hearted river."

Pours a murky dark yellow with a monsterous off-white head that's slow to fade. good lacing.

Nose is loud spicy grapefruit with hints of banana and a pinch of malt sweetness. Taste up front is very smooth- bready with sweet fruit flavors. develops into a soft fatness in the middle before being cut by a medium-heavy rush of hops that is just perfect. aftertaste is typical IPA medium/heavy bitterness... not overdone. The ideal IPA.

I think this is my new favorite beer.

note: Even in the same 6 pack I've noticed differences bottle to bottle. Some bottles seem to be more heavy on hops than others. Is it possible that this is due to other factors, such as temperature when consumed?

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is the go-to beer for my wife and I. Every grocery store carries it in our area, and when in doubt, we can pick this up and not be disappointed. It smell amazing, tastes amazing, and provides the perfect balance for us -- That's not to say that it is "well balanced". This is most definitely a hoppy pale ale, but one of the best, for sure.

12 oz bottle poured into a white wine glass - 2008 Bottling - Fridge Temp

Appearance: Pours a semi cloudy golden color with a tall 3" head that is off white in color. Great retention and plenty of lace leftover on the glass. Couldn't be better than this.

Smell: A sweet lemon/lime aroma mixes with the bold grapefruit nose. Lingering pine and freshly cut grass. Honeysuckle and cherry blossom aromas make this beer quite floral.

Taste: A bitter sensation explodes on the taste buds and hangs on throughout the gulp. Extremely fresh white grapefruit, not the sugary pink ones. Hence, this isn't a sweet beer, but one with complexity. Lavender, basil and pine round out the flavor with a nice malt balance.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and ample bodied with lots of liveliness and plenty of hop bitterness. Alcohol is apparent because this isn't a sugary IPA.

Drinkability: Probably as good as it gets. This is a very well rounded beer with plenty of quenchability, flavor, and ample alcohol. It would pair well with spicy foods and would cut through charred meat as well. An icon.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

One of my favorite IPAs. In fact, it's a go to IPA, and also the beer I use to convert people who don't think they like bitter. This beer is incredibly balanced and integrated. Best consumed fresh, this beer is still great in the bottle and is almost always in my house. The fact that it's named after a Hemingway location makes it all the more special in my book!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Served on tap. Orange/copper color with a half finger of head. Hard head, it laced the glass as it went down. The smell is wonderful. All centenial hops wafting a wonderful aroma. I struggle with aromas, but this is just wonderful. The taste is immediately hoppy bitter, with just a touch of citrus, blending to a smooth finish. The citrus bite hangs around with a wonderful flavor. The malt/hop balance is perfect, while obviously leaning towards the hops. The only possible weakness may be a little hop film left on the mouth. The mouthfeel isnt quite up to the rest of the beer. Very drinkable, I can never have just one.

This may be the perfect beer. Okay, maybe not, but it may be the perfect AIPA.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden color brew poured into an ipa glass and an off white head pillowed up and then retreated to a lasting film across the top. Lacing was steady and constant all the way to the end. Aroma of hops, pine, and a beautiful floral citrus. Taste is simple with a mix of citrus, strong pine, and hop bitterness. Easy drinking and nice bite on the palate. Bell's has concocted a real nice IPA here, well done!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

They had a firkin of this at the Black Sparrow, and as I am not made of stone I had to buy and consume several pints far too quickly.

Pours like hazy amber and honey (and at a temperature that was only slightly below ambient!). Smallish but retentive head, good lacing, blah blah you know what a cask IPA looks like.

Smells capital-S Smooth. Two Hearted is normally well balanced but this is just boffo: giant west coats hops were almost, like, fluffed up by a malt so smooth it was like bready whipped cream.

Tastes even better than it smells, since smoothness is one of those things that ain't conveyed too well through the olfactory sense. Hops are like flowers and grapefruit juice, the malt is like poundcake, together they combine into a well-balanced slurry of perfection.

I've said in the past that casks don't really impress me unless they're of thick stouts, but I think I'm going to have to amend that for exceptionally balanced IPAs. This isn't *quite* at the level of cask Masala Mama, but it's damn close.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%

Any hop head will love this beer. Other than Hop Slam, this is my favorite Bell's beer.

I sampled a 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The appearance of the beer is a beautiful deep, hazy gold with a white head. The beer has some of the most beautiful lacing.

The aroma is dominated by pine resin. There is subtle grapefruit. The malts are presant in the nose, but overpowered by the hops.

I cannot express my respect for the taste of this beer. A perfect example of an American IPA. Piney, malty, creamy and smooth. Some citrus, but not alot. This baby is perfect for a summer bbq or sitting in front of the tv watching football. Full bodied and just wonderful. As the beer warms in the glass the malts start to come through more and it just stays creamy... Delicious.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.