Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,699 | Reviews: 3,428

Unfortunately this brew isn’t for me. Aroma was above par with floral/herbal notes. Yet there was something off setting with the flavor. Disappointing.

look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

I can't taste anything but pine here.

3.01/5  rDev -29.5%

A- Nice brown color, one finger head that doesn't last long. Small bubbles coming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Strong IPA smell but some malt and some other flavors in this smell i can put my finger on.

T- malty PA with a hint of orange, lots of pack from the booze that makes this a more flavorful sipping beer. Citrus and floral hops gives it a sort of balance.

M- Big taste for me, that leaves a sharp after taste. The carbonation is nice and the citrus balences the flavor.

D- Not a top on my list, but a good choice for somebody trying to get a good american IPA.

3.02/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting beer.
This smells of IPA and initially it tastes of IPA with strong pink grapefruit and copper malt backbone... but then there's a little bite of fake-fruity-artificialsweetness... reminds me of Leiny's sunset wheat... almost like somebody dropped a shot of that in here... WHICH IS NOT a good thing... it really hits in the aftertaste and really turns me in the wrong direction on this beer...
I give it props for the taste up front... and for the fact that it completely hides it's alcohol content... in that aspect I'm not sure if I've ever had a 7%'er that didn't have some alcohol bite... but that off-put-taste of fake sweetener is just turning me off of this one and it will be my last.
traded a 6 pack of Dortmunder Gold for two bottles(one of these) and a grolwer of Highlands organic... great quantity trade but terrible 'taste' trade...
I'll leave the two-hearted on the shelf and go with the Columbus Pale Ale or Liberty Ale the next time...

3.02/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I have tried about 5 times to like this beer that everyone likes, but just can't do it. Not for me I guess... Looks good, smells good, but to me tastes like nothing.

3.04/5  rDev -28.8%

Look: Hazy golden color
Smell: fresh, aroma of lighter fruits, a tad hoppy
Taste: hoppy, very hoppy. overpowers all the other tastes for me- citrus/honey/malty undertones
Aftertaste: hops....
Overall: I know people love this beer and it is really good for what it is (as others have stated) but it's just too strong in the hoppy/bitter area.

3.06/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The color of this beer is a really dark yellow. The aroma you get is a citrus smell and is kind of strong. Tasting this beer it has a zing and tangy taste to it and the aftertaste is really unpleasant.

3.08/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The fish hearts beating on the label lead us to a quite enjoyable beer.

Smells of vegetables. A strong and even hoppy flavor that does never get too bitter. Strong, hearty, river-forging brew. Crisp finish and no tastes lingering long. You can crack these forgetting the 7.1 abv, which is a plus.

3.09/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

$ 3.50/16 oz draft at Uno’s at Birch Run
Aroma weakly citrusy
Decapitated by bartender; remaining head small (< 1.5 cm), off white, creamy, diminishing to2 mm ring
Lacing good – Narrow rings of small bubbles
Body dark yellow, hazy
Flavor begins slightly bitter then fades to nothing; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, slightly oily, lively carbonation

Very weakly flavored IPA, otherwise aroma, appearance, and palate all good.

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

Very average beer. I can't see why it is ranked this high overall. Not a strong taste, very generic. I think the cheap labeling makes it taste even more generic.

Nothing is bad about this beer, but nothing is that great either. It's worth trying, but just one.

3.11/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Feel is smooth. Taste is fair. Weak on the hoppyness.

3.12/5  rDev -26.9%

Every beer judged solely on its merits. But do you have to admit this is the ugliest label you’ve ever seen? Like some half-eaten fish floating in an e. coli laced Michigan swamplake.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Hazy, thin pennies, a wee bit watery. I’m not sure it’s strong enough to hold a meaningful head, even if it wanted to.

NOSE: Fruity sourdough and buttered popcorn. More fruit than hops, more malt than expected. Very decent.

MOUTH: Fickle beer, maybe deceptive. The start, it’s real nice. Sugared grapefruit and almond cake. But that gives way, a little too soon. Acerbic, canned paint, hand soap. Drink this one quickly.

BA Rating: 95

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83

3.14/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured this american IPA out of a 12 oz bottle and into a pint glass. The AIPA poured a hazy golden color and produced a nice thick 2 finger width head. Head retention on this beer is excellent and the lacing is one of the best I have seen. The aroma is nice and hoppy, a little above average for an AIPA. There were some notes of citrus. The taste of the beer is a little watery- Its a little weak with the amount of malt. Light body, it makes it a very drinkable IPA but I dont really look for that in an IPA. After the thinness subsides, there is a pronounced hop bite, but it does not linger. The finish has hints of citrus and it is slightly dry. Overall there is nothing special about this beer- does not come close to my top ten list of IPAs. But hey..its not like Bells makes a Kolsh right?

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange with fairly average amount of white head that disappears quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell-Citrusy in smell with a caramel backbone. A bit piney as wel.

Taste-Pretty straightforward. Grapefruit and other citrus notes with a decent malt backbone. Hops are abrasive. Lingering sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel-High carbonation, even too much. Medium body, not easy drinking, but not hard either.

Overall-Painfully average. I wanted to really like this beer. I got one once as an extra a few months back and didn't like it much then. Then bought a sixer of it while in Indiana for DLD and same result now.

3.16/5  rDev -26%

Ok, first off... i have heard alot of people talking about how awesome this beer is so i hope that doesn't affect my review so here goes. pours a cloudy deep gold to light amber from a sturdy 12oz glass. two finger head with good lacing. smell is fruity and not as hoppy as i had hoped it would be. it tastes good but its not as hopped as i wanted for an American IPA. but none the less very well balanced. the malt almost outweighs the hops in my opinion though, not that it makes it unbalanced but, from what i was hearing this was supposed to be a hoppy IPA (which i love) and sadly, it's not. surely a solid ale but, in no way really hoppy. the look, mouthfeel and drinkability are there... but i wanted more hops! good none the less though. but strong abv.

UPDATE!!! these things kick your ass! Very very buzzable... potency wise...I can't get through a 6'er. And i'm a DRUNKO!

3.16/5  rDev -26%

A: Slightly cloudy gold-colored pour with a nice bone-white 1-finger head. Great retention and lots of lacing.

S: An somewhat lacking hoppy nose--my bottle isn't old, but it doesn't smell like it's been recently dry hopped. Still a light fresh hop aroma that appetizes me.

T: Nice aggressive hop bitterness with strong piney and spicy aspect--Centennial hops. The grapefruit flavor of freshly dryhopped Centennial is missing (as expected from a beer like Hop Stoopid). A slightly sweet and bready malt flavor cowers behind the lingering hop bitterness. Familiar and similar beer--Three Floyd's PA, Alpha King, although that is a different style in which I am more ready to accept a lack of strong hop aroma and flavor.

M: Average carbonation and on the thin side that I would rate A in a sessionable PA but here it's a little lacking.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Classic...one of the beers that got me into craft beer.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Strong cedary, piney, grapefruity, citrusy nose, no doubt due to the hops. Smooth sweetish maltyness. Sharp bitterness at the end, with some saltyness and some alcohol noticed, lingering bitterness. Grapefruity and a bit woody?. I don't know, to me this wasn't very exciting, a bit one dimensional, It had a lot of flavour, but maybe it was a bit too sharp for me?. Still, quite alright. Another gift from feloniousmonk.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Tried this beer a while back and again last week in the Outer Banks, NC. Perhaps this batch was placed under too much heat? Anyway, I like the IPAs with a bit more body.
This one is lighter, very crisp, with a grapefruit taste. A basically good IPA, but one of the few beers that I largely disagree with the score listed on the site.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

This has been a go-to beer for me for years and I was quite surprised to find out I rated this so low. This was the 3rd of 10 beers that I had as part of a blind hoppy beer tasting.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle dated 12/21/11 received in a trade as an extra. Poured into a Portsmouth Brewery pint glass. Review from notes on 2/2/12.

A- 1 finger of white head which left nice lacing around the glass. Color is the typical hazy golden orange seen in most Ipas. Some carbonation off the bottom of the glass but not much.

S- Orange, grapefruit, citrusy hops, with a touch of sweet bready malts. Not a big aroma, but pleasant.

T- Taste is lacking for me, was hoping for the taste to at least match the aroma. In my oppinion it lands short of the mark. Its a clean finish but there is not much there in terms of hop characters and bready malts. Which are the characters Im looking for in the taste of an Ipa. Wasnt much in the way of bitterness either.

M- Light bodied with decent carbonation

O- Had hopes for this beer but it fell flat for me. Wasnt impressed and wouldnt search this one out. Would give another try if received as an extra in a trade might have just had an off bottle.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a decent foamy white head. The head recedes quickly and there is a nice lacing.

Aroma: It has a pleasant aroma, typically hoppy for an IPA. Citrus is most dominant.

Mouthfeel: Thin- to medium-bodied. Some oiliness on the lips and moderate carbonation.

Taste: Bitter but not particularly well-balanced. The taste is not particularly interesting nor nuanced. The aftertaste is one of the worst I've had in a "craft beer," leaving my mouth feeling pasty and my tongue feeling like it does when I have just woken up in the morning.

Overall Impressions: This is my first foray into Bell's beers. I have to say -- particularly after hearing raves for so long -- I am not impressed. I hope to pick up a few more from this brewery on this trip, but as a hophead, this was hugely disappointing.

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with one finger of head.
S: Trying to figure out which breakfast cereal this reminds me of. Slightly floral, but emphasis on the slightly.
T: Strange, I would almost believe I'm drinking a very hoppy wheat beer. Lemon, straw dominate.
M: Nice mouthfeel for the style, maybe my taste buds are going crazy tonight.
D: Goes down easy, but I'm just surprised by what I'm tasting here. Had heard good things about this beer but it seems too sweet and not very satisfying for my IPA needs.

(Note: This was me trying to describe a non-fresh IPA.)

3.19/5  rDev -25.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

slightly hazy yellowish orange with an inch of foamy white head that effervesces and falls quickly.

tons of piney hops hit the aroma first; leaves, grapefruits, peaches and gumdrops after. a touch of sugary malts balances out the very nice aroma.

piney bitter hops in the taste as well with a harshly drying, bitter finish. high carbonation and a coating, oily bitterness. little to no malts in the taste. overall needs a little more balance.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Purchased in 12 oz bottle at Trader Joe's.

Pours a pretty, slight reddish gold w/ very little head and a slightly clingy lacing. Smell was mild yet it had a medicinal overtone to it that was also present in the taste and finish. It's light and smooth on the palate. Almost reminded me of Hamm's Golden Draft without the macro carbonation. The medicinal aftertaste doesn't linger long in the finish and is replaced by a pleasant, malty flavor. Overall, it's a pleasant beer. But I was hoping for more from the reviews I've read. I may purchase it again.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.