Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,276 | Hads: 12,964
3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

This has been a go-to beer for me for years and I was quite surprised to find out I rated this so low. This was the 3rd of 10 beers that I had as part of a blind hoppy beer tasting. (181 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

12 oz bottle dated 12/21/11 received in a trade as an extra. Poured into a Portsmouth Brewery pint glass. Review from notes on 2/2/12.

A- 1 finger of white head which left nice lacing around the glass. Color is the typical hazy golden orange seen in most Ipas. Some carbonation off the bottom of the glass but not much.

S- Orange, grapefruit, citrusy hops, with a touch of sweet bready malts. Not a big aroma, but pleasant.

T- Taste is lacking for me, was hoping for the taste to at least match the aroma. In my oppinion it lands short of the mark. Its a clean finish but there is not much there in terms of hop characters and bready malts. Which are the characters Im looking for in the taste of an Ipa. Wasnt much in the way of bitterness either.

M- Light bodied with decent carbonation

O- Had hopes for this beer but it fell flat for me. Wasnt impressed and wouldnt search this one out. Would give another try if received as an extra in a trade might have just had an off bottle. (988 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a decent foamy white head. The head recedes quickly and there is a nice lacing.

Aroma: It has a pleasant aroma, typically hoppy for an IPA. Citrus is most dominant.

Mouthfeel: Thin- to medium-bodied. Some oiliness on the lips and moderate carbonation.

Taste: Bitter but not particularly well-balanced. The taste is not particularly interesting nor nuanced. The aftertaste is one of the worst I've had in a "craft beer," leaving my mouth feeling pasty and my tongue feeling like it does when I have just woken up in the morning.

Overall Impressions: This is my first foray into Bell's beers. I have to say -- particularly after hearing raves for so long -- I am not impressed. I hope to pick up a few more from this brewery on this trip, but as a hophead, this was hugely disappointing. (828 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with one finger of head.
S: Trying to figure out which breakfast cereal this reminds me of. Slightly floral, but emphasis on the slightly.
T: Strange, I would almost believe I'm drinking a very hoppy wheat beer. Lemon, straw dominate.
M: Nice mouthfeel for the style, maybe my taste buds are going crazy tonight.
D: Goes down easy, but I'm just surprised by what I'm tasting here. Had heard good things about this beer but it seems too sweet and not very satisfying for my IPA needs.

(Note: This was me trying to describe a non-fresh IPA.) (571 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -25.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

slightly hazy yellowish orange with an inch of foamy white head that effervesces and falls quickly.

tons of piney hops hit the aroma first; leaves, grapefruits, peaches and gumdrops after. a touch of sugary malts balances out the very nice aroma.

piney bitter hops in the taste as well with a harshly drying, bitter finish. high carbonation and a coating, oily bitterness. little to no malts in the taste. overall needs a little more balance. (488 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Purchased in 12 oz bottle at Trader Joe's.

Pours a pretty, slight reddish gold w/ very little head and a slightly clingy lacing. Smell was mild yet it had a medicinal overtone to it that was also present in the taste and finish. It's light and smooth on the palate. Almost reminded me of Hamm's Golden Draft without the macro carbonation. The medicinal aftertaste doesn't linger long in the finish and is replaced by a pleasant, malty flavor. Overall, it's a pleasant beer. But I was hoping for more from the reviews I've read. I may purchase it again. (554 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a white head. The smell is of hops with some citrus maybe orange and grapefruit. The hop smell is more earthy piney hops. The taste is of piney hops but not over powering it is balanced out with some citrus notes. The mouthfeel is good, there is a good amount of carbonation to this beer. Overall the drinkability on this beer is good. It is a little weaker in the hop taste than some other IPA's this would be a good starter ipa. (456 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a light golden hue with a good 1 inch head that quickly subdues. The aroma isn't overly strong but I do get light citrus notes along with dry hay. The taste follows the aroma and doesn't really step forward in any specific aspect. It starts off with the bitterness from the hops and it pretty much never leaves. There is some light grapefruit which lingers around and just a touch more would be great. I like the way this one finishes with just a bit of mild bitter/dryness but still nice and crisp. Very drinkable but to me this just doesn't bring home the style. I like it, but it is not something I would purchase regularly... not that I can get this in Texas anyway. (676 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

Second time I've tried this one.

Golden copper color with a big fluffy head.

Smell is grapefruit and pineapple from the centennial hops. (PS NOT MY FAVORITE HOPS)

Taste is very bitter and unbalanced. You could say it's great for hop heads but that would only be for cent hop heads. I tend to like the IPAs that use more than one hop variety aside from the double simcoe from weyerbacher. Still a decent IPA but I doubt I'll buy a third bottle for a long time. (464 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer pours a nice orangish yellow with a decent off whit head. The smell is less than what I was expecting with an ok hop presence immediately followed by a strong malt presence. The beer tastes very much like it smells. The mouthfeel is light to medium light with good carbonation. Overall q balanced beer just not the ipa I was expecting. (345 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

thanks to jamie for this bottle.

A- unfiltered cloudy golden with thick head

S-Big citrus and hops. no malt noticed

T- Liquid grapefruit. bitter and more bitter. some lemon or orange maybe

M- sticky and floral. herb taste hangs around

O- not bad but unbalanced IPA for me. First two hearted for me so maybe a fresh would be better? (336 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've had this beer several times. First time lives it but every time I have tried it since then it disappoints. I don't understand the hype. Did not seem well balanced at all. Just slightly boozy and earthy bitterness. Aroma was ok - maybe slightly floral. And I love IPAs. I'd probably give it another chance if offered but I won't pay for it again. There are much better IPAs out there. (388 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

Bought a mini-keg of this at EV1, At a great deal for such a renowned beer.

Appearance- Clear with just a touch of haziness. Good head dissipates leaving glorious lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Almost a honey like in color.

Smell- Smells strongly of pine and hops. I can tell this is going to be intense.

Taste- In the interest of full disclosure I feel obligated to reveal that I'm not a huge IPA drinker. However this is clearly geared towards that audience. It's got a strong citrus-pine hop flavor throughout with an overpowering bitterness. This beer grew on me and I liked it much better the second night I had one. Not a bad beer but I wouldn't give it to my girlfriend to try.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and decent carbonation although the finish is a bit sticky and lingers longer than I'd like it to.

Drinkability- Nicht so gut. I can see myself having maybe two of these over the course of a long evening but for me is a beer to be enjoyed in small quantities. (985 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is some good stuff, I think Bell's did well on this one.

A: Beautiful pure copper color with a remarkably long lasting head.

S: Has a strong hop pressence, and smells of an orange peel.

T: As I have made mention before, I'm not a big fan of pale ales, but this is one hell of a pale ale, very strong hop pressence, slight spicy-ness to it, tastes of an orange peel and has a weak graniness to it, with a pleasent bitterness to it to finish it off.

M: On the downside it's very bubbly, but it's not quite TOO bubbly.

D: Goes down smooth, and leaves a pleasenet aftertaste after a drink. And although it's a little acidy it's drinkable.

Bottom Line: I'd reccomend this to any pale ale fan, and to anyone who hasn't tried a pale ale yet. Ta Ta (769 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured into a Lazy Magnolia pint glass.

The beer poured a coppery orange with an eggshell colored head. There was a substantial amount of foam, and it hung around for a while. It gradually faded down to a nice sized cap of foam. Lacing is evident.
The aroma is hop forward, with grapefruit and pine leading the charge. There's also a sweet, almost honey bun aroma lurking in there as well.
The taste is straight up hops. I'm finding it hard to get any malt off of the taste. There is a very sharp bitterness towards the middle. The finish bites and scrapes across my tongue. The smell misleads you. I was anticipating a better display of malts, and they just aren't showing up. (There is a more noticable malt taste as the beer warms)
I'm actually kind of disappointed with this beer. I was expecting more out of it. I believe I'd rather have a Torpedo or a Racer 5. (869 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle date 11/12/2014 so 60 days old. That's a little old for an ipa and maybe why this seems to have dropped off terribly. Pours an odd head that bubbles feverishly then dissipates quickly. Smells of garlic and onions, bitterness, resins. Taste is an off onion hop flavor. More and more challenging to drink as it gets to bottom. Had to drain pour. (350 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

pours a nice golden hazy color with a pure white 2 finger head in my long hammer ipa glass. smells fainty of pine and only a tad bit of hops, nothing particularly stunning. tastes again like light pine and orange or tangerine, but one good swish makes the carbonation explode and bitterness just overwhelms. its so dry on the finish i cant see myself drinking more than one, although i can see how close this brew is to greatness... it just nearly misses for me. im almost left wanting to chug a gatorade after finishing this beer just to revitalize myself. maybe ill revisit in the future and insure a fresh bottle ( i dont know how fresh this bottle is). (656 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Received in a trade with feloniousmonk (thanks) and excited to try it. Not nearly as good as I had hoped, but still enjoyable.

Appeared an orange-yellow color with an off-white colored head that was relatively thick and left behind spots of lacing. Nice white bubbles covered the surface. Aromas of hops, alcohol, and ripe fruits. Citrus and grapefruit flavors along with the hops dominated the taste with a strong bitterness that lingers the whole time. Much more like hop juice than an IPA. Thin and dry in my mouth with a citrus-dervied finish. My biggest problem with this beer was it's lack of complexity. It truly bordered on pure hops and that's not a great thing. (674 characters)

Reviewed 10/12/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a big head, white, foamy, creamy, good lacing. Cloudy amber color, good bubbles, fizz. Very strong hoppy aroma, fresh smelling. Bitter taste, some sweet mid-taste, somewhat smooth/bitter aftertaste. Creamy. A good IPA, but a little strong and unbalanced. A little acidic. (313 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -23%

Bell's 2 Hearted Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's, Newtown, PA

Appearance- hazy orange with a nice lacing head.
Smell- sugary sweet pine hops.
Taste- Too sweet. Sugary sweet with a strong piney hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- at first just too sugary but it finishes off with a nice strong pine hop kick.

Overall- very excited when I saw this on tap bt after drinking I was slighty disappointed. Just too sweet. I wish there were some citrius thrown in to help mellow the sugar. 1 was more than enough. (501 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden orange in color. fast fading head, not super carbonated

Smell: A bit of pine smell, but it is very vague

Taste: Very malty. The hop flavor is very prominant leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, even silky and full bodied.

Overall: I am not a huge fan of IPA's in general so I tried to be unbiased in my review. It tasted a bit less strong than some of the other IPAs I have tried so, for someone who doesn't typically like IPAs, it is not bad at all. (485 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer tends to receive a lot of general compliments online, so I decided to finally give it a try.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

It shows a pretty amber glow, with a solid white top.

Smells of sweet citrus fruits on ice (frozen pineapple & grapefruit), floral hops, a hint of bready character, possibly a pound cake in the far distance.

Taste is very astringent, with the hops pushing the max on bitterness. The taste is extraneous and surprisingly unrelated to the expectations derived from the welcoming smell. Warming notes from the alcohol, and a teasing amount of the citrus flavors from the smell that I expected to find more pronounced in the taste.

The mouthfeel offers a silky tingle, and the finish concludes with a lingering grainy aftertaste.

Not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping the citrus and/or floral character from hops traditionally tossed in an American IPA would show in this brew. The bittering character was, in my opinion, too dry and lacked a friendlier complement. But, if you are into American IPA's that pack a bitter punch and leave the flower giving for anniversary celebrations, this one just might be what you are looking for. (1,193 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- pours golden to amber with a thick white head and nice lacing
N- mostly pine and citrus notes, perhaps a subtle floral undertone
T- bitterness seems to overwhelm subtle citrus
M- well carbonated with a malt backbone well suited for the nose of this beer
O- I've had this beer a before and I don't recall such an overwhelming bitterness. It's a solid IPA, but lacks the clean distinct notes of most other highly rated American IPAs. (435 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Clear, amber colored beer with a two finger high head. Lacing stays on the glass.

Nose: Hops, citrus, honey and pine.
Taste: Orange, pineapple and grass.
Body: Light, smooth body. A little bitterness and medium carbonation

I really can't understand the hype about this beer. I my opinion it is highly overrated on ratebeer and beeradvocate.
Maby it is because the bottle I got my hands on at Total Wine & More is not fresh?
This one was bottled on december 1 - 2014 * Two and a half months ago. (500 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -22.5%

Had on tap at Ashley's in AA

A- Comes out a gorgeous copper color. A fingers worth of eggwhite head dissipates slowly leaving a nice film of foam on the top of the beer. The lacing is strong and forms solid walls on the sides of the glass.

S- Some light husky maltiness on the nose, but dominated by earthy slightly citrusy hops notes.

T- The husky straw greets my mouth first. This is quickly taken over by a dominating bitter flavor. Some citrus flavors- very pithy grapefruit and lime zest. Also some grassy tones. There is a decent complexity to the taste, but overall I found it to be weaker than expected.

M- The bitterness of the beer grabs my tongue and refuses to let go- the aftertaste only streathens its hold. There is a decent creaminess along with this.

D- I enjoyed this beer, but did find it to be too bitter for my taste. (843 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.