2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,719 | Reviews: 2,963 | Show All Ratings:
heissebier

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Bought a mini-keg of this at EV1, At a great deal for such a renowned beer.

Appearance- Clear with just a touch of haziness. Good head dissipates leaving glorious lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Almost a honey like in color.

Smell- Smells strongly of pine and hops. I can tell this is going to be intense.

Taste- In the interest of full disclosure I feel obligated to reveal that I'm not a huge IPA drinker. However this is clearly geared towards that audience. It's got a strong citrus-pine hop flavor throughout with an overpowering bitterness. This beer grew on me and I liked it much better the second night I had one. Not a bad beer but I wouldn't give it to my girlfriend to try.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and decent carbonation although the finish is a bit sticky and lingers longer than I'd like it to.

Drinkability- Nicht so gut. I can see myself having maybe two of these over the course of a long evening but for me is a beer to be enjoyed in small quantities.

12-04-2009 20:15:08 | More by heissebier
lonestar4lunch

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a light golden hue with a good 1 inch head that quickly subdues. The aroma isn't overly strong but I do get light citrus notes along with dry hay. The taste follows the aroma and doesn't really step forward in any specific aspect. It starts off with the bitterness from the hops and it pretty much never leaves. There is some light grapefruit which lingers around and just a touch more would be great. I like the way this one finishes with just a bit of mild bitter/dryness but still nice and crisp. Very drinkable but to me this just doesn't bring home the style. I like it, but it is not something I would purchase regularly... not that I can get this in Texas anyway.

05-20-2011 23:31:01 | More by lonestar4lunch
jaluria

Connecticut

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

Received in a trade with feloniousmonk (thanks) and excited to try it. Not nearly as good as I had hoped, but still enjoyable.

Appeared an orange-yellow color with an off-white colored head that was relatively thick and left behind spots of lacing. Nice white bubbles covered the surface. Aromas of hops, alcohol, and ripe fruits. Citrus and grapefruit flavors along with the hops dominated the taste with a strong bitterness that lingers the whole time. Much more like hop juice than an IPA. Thin and dry in my mouth with a citrus-dervied finish. My biggest problem with this beer was it's lack of complexity. It truly bordered on pure hops and that's not a great thing.

03-21-2006 14:30:30 | More by jaluria
NJpadreFan

Bell's 2 Hearted Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's, Newtown, PA

Appearance- hazy orange with a nice lacing head.
Smell- sugary sweet pine hops.
Taste- Too sweet. Sugary sweet with a strong piney hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- at first just too sugary but it finishes off with a nice strong pine hop kick.

Overall- very excited when I saw this on tap bt after drinking I was slighty disappointed. Just too sweet. I wish there were some citrius thrown in to help mellow the sugar. 1 was more than enough.

03-26-2006 23:39:15 | More by NJpadreFan
DerekP

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

This beer tends to receive a lot of general compliments online, so I decided to finally give it a try.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

It shows a pretty amber glow, with a solid white top.

Smells of sweet citrus fruits on ice (frozen pineapple & grapefruit), floral hops, a hint of bready character, possibly a pound cake in the far distance.

Taste is very astringent, with the hops pushing the max on bitterness. The taste is extraneous and surprisingly unrelated to the expectations derived from the welcoming smell. Warming notes from the alcohol, and a teasing amount of the citrus flavors from the smell that I expected to find more pronounced in the taste.

The mouthfeel offers a silky tingle, and the finish concludes with a lingering grainy aftertaste.

Not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping the citrus and/or floral character from hops traditionally tossed in an American IPA would show in this brew. The bittering character was, in my opinion, too dry and lacked a friendlier complement. But, if you are into American IPA's that pack a bitter punch and leave the flower giving for anniversary celebrations, this one just might be what you are looking for.

04-27-2010 01:41:46 | More by DerekP
dankster

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

thanks to jamie for this bottle.

A- unfiltered cloudy golden with thick head

S-Big citrus and hops. no malt noticed

T- Liquid grapefruit. bitter and more bitter. some lemon or orange maybe

M- sticky and floral. herb taste hangs around

O- not bad but unbalanced IPA for me. First two hearted for me so maybe a fresh would be better?

12-23-2011 17:53:35 | More by dankster
Kelsiemoeller

3.26/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden orange in color. fast fading head, not super carbonated

Smell: A bit of pine smell, but it is very vague

Taste: Very malty. The hop flavor is very prominant leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, even silky and full bodied.

Overall: I am not a huge fan of IPA's in general so I tried to be unbiased in my review. It tasted a bit less strong than some of the other IPAs I have tried so, for someone who doesn't typically like IPAs, it is not bad at all.

04-29-2013 20:26:00 | More by Kelsiemoeller
hotstuff

Indiana

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

When poured, this beer had a medium sized white frothy and creamy head with fine-medium sized bubbles that was mostly lasting. The body was cloudy and uncarbonated with a golden hue. The nose was hoppy, sweet, citrusy and fruity with a bitter and hoppy flavor. The mouthfeel was a bit tingly, smooth and dry and it was medium bodied. This beer had excellent lacing.

10-28-2003 23:48:40 | More by hotstuff
Ellbert

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

The apperance was wonderful. It is a nice burnt or orange straw color. It was clear till I swirled in the dregs from the bottle. The head is very nice. It is a nice creamy head that was huge and stucke to my glass like nothing else.

The smell was hops all the way, nothing but hops. Very floral.

The taste was very disappointing. It had hops but it was very thin and almost watery. There is very little malt in this beer and it makes it lose it's body. Could be a lot better.

Not a bad beer but not what I expected it to be.

10-22-2003 01:02:16 | More by Ellbert
sabrills70

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Pours a medium ambe with a fluffy 2 finger head, nice longevity and lace. Nice aromas of hops mixed with a fair amount of orange. Malt aromas are present but quickly fade due to the hop aromas. Something seems off in the flavor. I think it is too unbalanced. Yes, it is supposed to heavy on the hop side but its kind of harsh. I think it just needs a bigger malt presence. The hop amounts are fine, as is their flavor, its just a weak malt presence. It is still a good and quality made beer just unbalanced IMHO. If the malts were a bit more dominate, it would make an excellent brew.

07-15-2006 02:04:56 | More by sabrills70
kboett77

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

I was always put off this beer by the freaky looking fish on the label. However, having recieved some as a gift, I thought I would give it a try. It is drinkable, with a strong grapefruit tone and a nice fullness to it. But I was no super impressed, to me it lacked some of the complexity and over tones of other IPAs. If I try it again I'll give an update as I am suprised that this well liked beer from a well respected brewery isn't doin' it for me.

01-09-2007 17:15:23 | More by kboett77
Applesauce1

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

I got this on-tap at Skipper's in Athens.

Appearance: gold-orange color with a nice 3/4" white head from the tap; looks pretty good
Smell: hops dominate
Taste: ehhh, decent, but nothing too impressive; there's a hoppiness, but a mustiness also; im not sure where the mustiness comes from, but it didnt please me too much; slight sweet malt presence
Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation
Drinkability: decent, didn't have another one on the night

01-17-2007 06:59:22 | More by Applesauce1
Ragingbull

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Cloudy and light orange in color in a pint glass. Mild motionless prickle. The head is lightly foamy and wispy with a light lacing. Raspberry and blackberry hints in the nose. Mild hops in the nose as well. Sweet and hoppy attack which is an interesting combination and I would dare say is nicely balanced. Tartness to the flavor due to the hops character. The finish is clean but with a sour aftertaste as the mouth dries. The components of this beer are very interesting and it comes across as complex and interesting. All of those factors aside I still think it is an average beer. Fun to drink and review, but not something I will keep stocked in the basement.

04-28-2009 14:50:52 | More by Ragingbull
KYFriedChildren

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

From a six pack that a friend and co-worker picked up from me as a gift.

Appearance- Pours a nice light orange color that is topped off with a white fluffy head on top. Not a bad looking beer, not at all.

Smell- Smells of citrus and fresh hops. Rivals many an IPA for pure citric hoppiness. Very nice.

Taste- Wow, kind of a bring down from the smell and the appearance. The hops and citrus are there in full force but there is also a biscuitty kind of buttery aftertaste. It doesn't seem all that balanced. A full on hop assault followed by what seems like a kind of half-assed butteriness.

Mouthfeel- Citric burn and hop oil along with the tingliness of the carbonation. Nothing special but not bad either.

Drinkability- I'm not as in love with the beer as a lot of people seem to be. I've also had it on tap and liked it a bit more but I don't have notes on it so these are my bottle notes instead. I probably wouldn't drink more than one or two on preference but those who like it would obviously have more.

10-16-2010 06:29:26 | More by KYFriedChildren
Bonis

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

A - Hazy golden orange, half inch of white foamy head, sticky lace coats the glass.

S - Hops come mainly in citrus form with some floral hints. A nice sweet malt sneaks in as well.

T - Very fruity to start out with the citrus hops carrying over to the taste. The malt comes through big in the middle, and a touch of bitterness rounds things out, but doesn't linger. Pretty well balanced overall, but not as hoppy as I would have expected/wanted. I prefer to leave the malts hiding in my IPAs. No alcohol is really apparent in the taste, but does warm a little in the stomach.

M - Pretty low bodied for an IPA. Not overly bitter, just right. Carbonation seems minimal.

O - Not quite what I want in an IPA, not nearly enough hop flavor. Will try this again in a couple years to once again see if I can like this beer as much as others do. I just don't see why all the fuss.

11-19-2010 04:08:11 | More by Bonis
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

pours a nice golden hazy color with a pure white 2 finger head in my long hammer ipa glass. smells fainty of pine and only a tad bit of hops, nothing particularly stunning. tastes again like light pine and orange or tangerine, but one good swish makes the carbonation explode and bitterness just overwhelms. its so dry on the finish i cant see myself drinking more than one, although i can see how close this brew is to greatness... it just nearly misses for me. im almost left wanting to chug a gatorade after finishing this beer just to revitalize myself. maybe ill revisit in the future and insure a fresh bottle ( i dont know how fresh this bottle is).

12-04-2010 23:15:10 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
Trilogy31

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a creamy finger of head into a tulip. Nose has some nice bready malts, good spicy citrus, bright pine along with hints of tropical fruits (maybe some guava). Taste starts with a refreshing hop bitterness along with some mild bready malts and pine with light citrus. Finishes a bit oily, nice body and mouthfeel if a bit muted on the nose and taste.

05-04-2011 02:54:12 | More by Trilogy31
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Special thanks to JM03 for this.
Bottled 8/26/2011

A- Lightly burnt orange pour with a finger width soapy white head. Lacing is soapy and somewhat sticky.

S- Slight floral with a juicy citrus bite and a sweet malt backing.

T- Sweet malts and bitter floral hops dominate this one. The hops are faded but still in your face.

M- Thin bodied with a nice chew to it. Juicy with a lingering bitter aftertaste

O- Solid ipa, this has always been a want and now I cant wait for an even fresher bottle!

11-06-2011 00:43:28 | More by korguy123
zrbeer1579

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

Just recently had this on tap. It was much better. there was a stranger taste, though. Not as bitter as it was before. It's a good IPA, but nothing incredibly significant. 02-7-2014 Score: 3.8

Below is older review: 03-26-2013

Appearance: Transparent golden orange with a one finger creamy white head

Aroma: Floral, grapefruit, tangerine, and a slight pine.

Taste: Bitter pine and grapefruit; in a bad way. Some tangerine. A very faint sweetness and breadiness. Flavors seem a little watered down. And too much bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light. Crisp. Bitterness in the finish is a little too aggressive.

Overall: I was not too impressed with this IPA. It smells good but taste didn't do it for me. It may have something to do with the bottle being two months old. When I get a much fresher bottle, I'll edit my review. That is, if it's any better.

03-26-2013 18:40:06 | More by zrbeer1579
brakspear

Wisconsin

03-02-2003

This is a very nice looking American India pale ale, but the rest of the beer seems rather average, particularly when compared to some of the outstanding West Coast IPAs.

A beautiful and billlowing soft white head forms quickly and then produced perfect lacing on the glass. The body of the beer is a clear light amber with generous carbonation bubbles rising from its depths.

The aroma presents as a rather tame but citrusy hop nose, nothing outstanding, but a crisp and bracing hop snap.

The taste is very subdued. I was expecting more given other reviewers impressions of this beer. But what I tasted was a nicely balanced pale ale, with an almost chalky malt taste followed by a slight hop bitterness, citrusy but mellow. The body also seems a bit watery for an IPA.

This is a decent and average India pale ale that I would buy again, but I do not understand the accolades this beer has received. Perhaps compared to other IPAs brewed in the Middle West it stands out?

4-29-2003

Sampled again to see if I judged too harshly the first time. Nope, the taste has a weird yeast or off character I do not find pleasant at all. If this is the distinctive Kalamazoo yeast flavor, I must just not like what it does to the beer.

03-02-2003 21:03:18 | More by brakspear
barleysangel

3.33/5  rDev -22%

First of all, I'm not a big fan of IPAs, but being a sport, I try everything.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy light brown with an orange tinge. The head was white and foamy with lacing to the end of the beer. I like the smell, it's flowery. The taste was bitter I definitely didn't like the aftertaste. It was a little less bitter when it was warmer. The mouthfeel was good, it went down easily, normal carbonation and relatively light. Again, I'm not a fan of IPAs, and I most likely won't have another one of these.

5/24/04: Wrong, I had another.

02-15-2004 01:15:01 | More by barleysangel
Mechphisto

Missouri

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A: A bright golden color. See through, rich amber. The head was surprisingly thick and solid. Biteable even. Leaves a very nice lacing.

S: Slightly fruity smell, but just slightly. Nice.

T: When cold, it has that crisp bitterness that masks any subtlety.
It has an odd, fishy aftertaste that reminds me of lake water... but that's probably because of the bottle label. Unfortunately as it warms up it gets noticeably sour. Like warm, old orange juice. (personal experience. Don't ask.)

M: Crisp, significant carbonation. A slight greasy feel that goes away quickly.

Not bad. No danger of it becoming my favorite beer, but certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered. I like it better cold, unlike most darker beers, and ales in general for that matter. Cold and out of the bottle instead of in a glass, it's actually very good.
And for that I bump drinkability from 3.5 to 4.

08-27-2006 04:23:43 | More by Mechphisto
zdk9

Had on tap at Ashley's in AA

A- Comes out a gorgeous copper color. A fingers worth of eggwhite head dissipates slowly leaving a nice film of foam on the top of the beer. The lacing is strong and forms solid walls on the sides of the glass.

S- Some light husky maltiness on the nose, but dominated by earthy slightly citrusy hops notes.

T- The husky straw greets my mouth first. This is quickly taken over by a dominating bitter flavor. Some citrus flavors- very pithy grapefruit and lime zest. Also some grassy tones. There is a decent complexity to the taste, but overall I found it to be weaker than expected.

M- The bitterness of the beer grabs my tongue and refuses to let go- the aftertaste only streathens its hold. There is a decent creaminess along with this.

D- I enjoyed this beer, but did find it to be too bitter for my taste.

09-23-2007 09:43:21 | More by zdk9
PittBeerGirl

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A- Well this is quite a beautiful IPA. Semi-translucent Rusty-orange-amber body that pours with an impressive 3 finger foamy off-white head. Head fades slowly to one finger and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Quite promising. A beautiful bouquet of hops with a citrus aroma upfront and pine, floral, and grassy mixing well in the background.

T- Initial flavor is mild and highlights a balance of citrus and grassy hop flavor. Floral and pine hop flavor seem to mix well for the finish-with the floral hop flavor being semi-dominant. A blast of hop bitterness also enters for the finish. All that lingers is a medium strength resonance of hop bitterness. All the beautiful hop flavors are gone.

M- Medium to high carbonation and mildly oily body.

D- After having great IPAs like Alesmith, Racer 5, Centennial, and SN Anniversary this one doesn't even compare to me. Its not bad-and I can certainly drink it but is only an average IPA to me. I was somewhat disappointed because it could not compare.

12-03-2007 18:29:00 | More by PittBeerGirl
PatrickJR

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Huge, nearly 4 finger head. Creamy and pillowy. Hangs around for a very long time, receding to quarter inch thick cap, and lots of sticky lacing. VERY nice. The only thing keeping this from a 5.0 was the haziness...why hazy?

S - Typical IPA. Full range of floral/spicy/earthy/citrus hops with focus on the citrus aspects, mostly lemon and orange. Vague malt pulls through as well.

T - Quite dry without the early to mid-palate sweetness of most IPAs. The hops are there, but only play a small role. Some floral aspects are present, but it quickly moves into citrus peel and intense bitterness with uninteresting malts. For such an otherwise impressive beer, the taste is quite bland and off balance. The taste that is there isn't focused on enough, and it's also a poor example of a "well-hopped beer." It's just sort of weird with the citric bitterness playing the main role.

M - A little thicker and less carbonated than I'd prefer, especially with this brew's focus on citric elements.

D - It's not all that interesting of a beer, and to boot, it's unbalanced and all over the place. Probably a great IPA for some, but not me. The appearance and generally decent IPA aroma are the brew's best qualities.

05-22-2008 02:24:23 | More by PatrickJR
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.