Follow our progress ...

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,434 | Ratings: 13,757
3.09/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

$ 3.50/16 oz draft at Uno’s at Birch Run
Aroma weakly citrusy
Decapitated by bartender; remaining head small (< 1.5 cm), off white, creamy, diminishing to2 mm ring
Lacing good – Narrow rings of small bubbles
Body dark yellow, hazy
Flavor begins slightly bitter then fades to nothing; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, slightly oily, lively carbonation

Very weakly flavored IPA, otherwise aroma, appearance, and palate all good.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Very average beer. I can't see why it is ranked this high overall. Not a strong taste, very generic. I think the cheap labeling makes it taste even more generic.

Nothing is bad about this beer, but nothing is that great either. It's worth trying, but just one.

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

Every beer judged solely on its merits. But do you have to admit this is the ugliest label you’ve ever seen? Like some half-eaten fish floating in an e. coli laced Michigan swamplake.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Hazy, thin pennies, a wee bit watery. I’m not sure it’s strong enough to hold a meaningful head, even if it wanted to.

NOSE: Fruity sourdough and buttered popcorn. More fruit than hops, more malt than expected. Very decent.

MOUTH: Fickle beer, maybe deceptive. The start, it’s real nice. Sugared grapefruit and almond cake. But that gives way, a little too soon. Acerbic, canned paint, hand soap. Drink this one quickly.

BA Rating: 95

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured this american IPA out of a 12 oz bottle and into a pint glass. The AIPA poured a hazy golden color and produced a nice thick 2 finger width head. Head retention on this beer is excellent and the lacing is one of the best I have seen. The aroma is nice and hoppy, a little above average for an AIPA. There were some notes of citrus. The taste of the beer is a little watery- Its a little weak with the amount of malt. Light body, it makes it a very drinkable IPA but I dont really look for that in an IPA. After the thinness subsides, there is a pronounced hop bite, but it does not linger. The finish has hints of citrus and it is slightly dry. Overall there is nothing special about this beer- does not come close to my top ten list of IPAs. But hey..its not like Bells makes a Kolsh right?

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange with fairly average amount of white head that disappears quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell-Citrusy in smell with a caramel backbone. A bit piney as wel.

Taste-Pretty straightforward. Grapefruit and other citrus notes with a decent malt backbone. Hops are abrasive. Lingering sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel-High carbonation, even too much. Medium body, not easy drinking, but not hard either.

Overall-Painfully average. I wanted to really like this beer. I got one once as an extra a few months back and didn't like it much then. Then bought a sixer of it while in Indiana for DLD and same result now.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

Ok, first off... i have heard alot of people talking about how awesome this beer is so i hope that doesn't affect my review so here goes. pours a cloudy deep gold to light amber from a sturdy 12oz glass. two finger head with good lacing. smell is fruity and not as hoppy as i had hoped it would be. it tastes good but its not as hopped as i wanted for an American IPA. but none the less very well balanced. the malt almost outweighs the hops in my opinion though, not that it makes it unbalanced but, from what i was hearing this was supposed to be a hoppy IPA (which i love) and sadly, it's not. surely a solid ale but, in no way really hoppy. the look, mouthfeel and drinkability are there... but i wanted more hops! good none the less though. but strong abv.

UPDATE!!! these things kick your ass! Very very buzzable... potency wise...I can't get through a 6'er. And i'm a DRUNKO!

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Slightly cloudy gold-colored pour with a nice bone-white 1-finger head. Great retention and lots of lacing.

S: An somewhat lacking hoppy nose--my bottle isn't old, but it doesn't smell like it's been recently dry hopped. Still a light fresh hop aroma that appetizes me.

T: Nice aggressive hop bitterness with strong piney and spicy aspect--Centennial hops. The grapefruit flavor of freshly dryhopped Centennial is missing (as expected from a beer like Hop Stoopid). A slightly sweet and bready malt flavor cowers behind the lingering hop bitterness. Familiar and similar beer--Three Floyd's PA, Alpha King, although that is a different style in which I am more ready to accept a lack of strong hop aroma and flavor.

M: Average carbonation and on the thin side that I would rate A in a sessionable PA but here it's a little lacking.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Strong cedary, piney, grapefruity, citrusy nose, no doubt due to the hops. Smooth sweetish maltyness. Sharp bitterness at the end, with some saltyness and some alcohol noticed, lingering bitterness. Grapefruity and a bit woody?. I don't know, to me this wasn't very exciting, a bit one dimensional, It had a lot of flavour, but maybe it was a bit too sharp for me?. Still, quite alright. Another gift from feloniousmonk.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Tried this beer a while back and again last week in the Outer Banks, NC. Perhaps this batch was placed under too much heat? Anyway, I like the IPAs with a bit more body.
This one is lighter, very crisp, with a grapefruit taste. A basically good IPA, but one of the few beers that I largely disagree with the score listed on the site.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

This has been a go-to beer for me for years and I was quite surprised to find out I rated this so low. This was the 3rd of 10 beers that I had as part of a blind hoppy beer tasting.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

12 oz bottle dated 12/21/11 received in a trade as an extra. Poured into a Portsmouth Brewery pint glass. Review from notes on 2/2/12.

A- 1 finger of white head which left nice lacing around the glass. Color is the typical hazy golden orange seen in most Ipas. Some carbonation off the bottom of the glass but not much.

S- Orange, grapefruit, citrusy hops, with a touch of sweet bready malts. Not a big aroma, but pleasant.

T- Taste is lacking for me, was hoping for the taste to at least match the aroma. In my oppinion it lands short of the mark. Its a clean finish but there is not much there in terms of hop characters and bready malts. Which are the characters Im looking for in the taste of an Ipa. Wasnt much in the way of bitterness either.

M- Light bodied with decent carbonation

O- Had hopes for this beer but it fell flat for me. Wasnt impressed and wouldnt search this one out. Would give another try if received as an extra in a trade might have just had an off bottle.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with a decent foamy white head. The head recedes quickly and there is a nice lacing.

Aroma: It has a pleasant aroma, typically hoppy for an IPA. Citrus is most dominant.

Mouthfeel: Thin- to medium-bodied. Some oiliness on the lips and moderate carbonation.

Taste: Bitter but not particularly well-balanced. The taste is not particularly interesting nor nuanced. The aftertaste is one of the worst I've had in a "craft beer," leaving my mouth feeling pasty and my tongue feeling like it does when I have just woken up in the morning.

Overall Impressions: This is my first foray into Bell's beers. I have to say -- particularly after hearing raves for so long -- I am not impressed. I hope to pick up a few more from this brewery on this trip, but as a hophead, this was hugely disappointing.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with one finger of head.
S: Trying to figure out which breakfast cereal this reminds me of. Slightly floral, but emphasis on the slightly.
T: Strange, I would almost believe I'm drinking a very hoppy wheat beer. Lemon, straw dominate.
M: Nice mouthfeel for the style, maybe my taste buds are going crazy tonight.
D: Goes down easy, but I'm just surprised by what I'm tasting here. Had heard good things about this beer but it seems too sweet and not very satisfying for my IPA needs.

(Note: This was me trying to describe a non-fresh IPA.)

3.19/5  rDev -25.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

slightly hazy yellowish orange with an inch of foamy white head that effervesces and falls quickly.

tons of piney hops hit the aroma first; leaves, grapefruits, peaches and gumdrops after. a touch of sugary malts balances out the very nice aroma.

piney bitter hops in the taste as well with a harshly drying, bitter finish. high carbonation and a coating, oily bitterness. little to no malts in the taste. overall needs a little more balance.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Purchased in 12 oz bottle at Trader Joe's.

Pours a pretty, slight reddish gold w/ very little head and a slightly clingy lacing. Smell was mild yet it had a medicinal overtone to it that was also present in the taste and finish. It's light and smooth on the palate. Almost reminded me of Hamm's Golden Draft without the macro carbonation. The medicinal aftertaste doesn't linger long in the finish and is replaced by a pleasant, malty flavor. Overall, it's a pleasant beer. But I was hoping for more from the reviews I've read. I may purchase it again.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a white head. The smell is of hops with some citrus maybe orange and grapefruit. The hop smell is more earthy piney hops. The taste is of piney hops but not over powering it is balanced out with some citrus notes. The mouthfeel is good, there is a good amount of carbonation to this beer. Overall the drinkability on this beer is good. It is a little weaker in the hop taste than some other IPA's this would be a good starter ipa.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a light golden hue with a good 1 inch head that quickly subdues. The aroma isn't overly strong but I do get light citrus notes along with dry hay. The taste follows the aroma and doesn't really step forward in any specific aspect. It starts off with the bitterness from the hops and it pretty much never leaves. There is some light grapefruit which lingers around and just a touch more would be great. I like the way this one finishes with just a bit of mild bitter/dryness but still nice and crisp. Very drinkable but to me this just doesn't bring home the style. I like it, but it is not something I would purchase regularly... not that I can get this in Texas anyway.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

Second time I've tried this one.

Golden copper color with a big fluffy head.

Smell is grapefruit and pineapple from the centennial hops. (PS NOT MY FAVORITE HOPS)

Taste is very bitter and unbalanced. You could say it's great for hop heads but that would only be for cent hop heads. I tend to like the IPAs that use more than one hop variety aside from the double simcoe from weyerbacher. Still a decent IPA but I doubt I'll buy a third bottle for a long time.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer pours a nice orangish yellow with a decent off whit head. The smell is less than what I was expecting with an ok hop presence immediately followed by a strong malt presence. The beer tastes very much like it smells. The mouthfeel is light to medium light with good carbonation. Overall q balanced beer just not the ipa I was expecting.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

thanks to jamie for this bottle.

A- unfiltered cloudy golden with thick head

S-Big citrus and hops. no malt noticed

T- Liquid grapefruit. bitter and more bitter. some lemon or orange maybe

M- sticky and floral. herb taste hangs around

O- not bad but unbalanced IPA for me. First two hearted for me so maybe a fresh would be better?

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I've had this beer several times. First time lives it but every time I have tried it since then it disappoints. I don't understand the hype. Did not seem well balanced at all. Just slightly boozy and earthy bitterness. Aroma was ok - maybe slightly floral. And I love IPAs. I'd probably give it another chance if offered but I won't pay for it again. There are much better IPAs out there.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

Bought a mini-keg of this at EV1, At a great deal for such a renowned beer.

Appearance- Clear with just a touch of haziness. Good head dissipates leaving glorious lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Almost a honey like in color.

Smell- Smells strongly of pine and hops. I can tell this is going to be intense.

Taste- In the interest of full disclosure I feel obligated to reveal that I'm not a huge IPA drinker. However this is clearly geared towards that audience. It's got a strong citrus-pine hop flavor throughout with an overpowering bitterness. This beer grew on me and I liked it much better the second night I had one. Not a bad beer but I wouldn't give it to my girlfriend to try.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and decent carbonation although the finish is a bit sticky and lingers longer than I'd like it to.

Drinkability- Nicht so gut. I can see myself having maybe two of these over the course of a long evening but for me is a beer to be enjoyed in small quantities.

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is some good stuff, I think Bell's did well on this one.

A: Beautiful pure copper color with a remarkably long lasting head.

S: Has a strong hop pressence, and smells of an orange peel.

T: As I have made mention before, I'm not a big fan of pale ales, but this is one hell of a pale ale, very strong hop pressence, slight spicy-ness to it, tastes of an orange peel and has a weak graniness to it, with a pleasent bitterness to it to finish it off.

M: On the downside it's very bubbly, but it's not quite TOO bubbly.

D: Goes down smooth, and leaves a pleasenet aftertaste after a drink. And although it's a little acidy it's drinkable.

Bottom Line: I'd reccomend this to any pale ale fan, and to anyone who hasn't tried a pale ale yet. Ta Ta

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured into a Lazy Magnolia pint glass.

The beer poured a coppery orange with an eggshell colored head. There was a substantial amount of foam, and it hung around for a while. It gradually faded down to a nice sized cap of foam. Lacing is evident.
The aroma is hop forward, with grapefruit and pine leading the charge. There's also a sweet, almost honey bun aroma lurking in there as well.
The taste is straight up hops. I'm finding it hard to get any malt off of the taste. There is a very sharp bitterness towards the middle. The finish bites and scrapes across my tongue. The smell misleads you. I was anticipating a better display of malts, and they just aren't showing up. (There is a more noticable malt taste as the beer warms)
I'm actually kind of disappointed with this beer. I was expecting more out of it. I believe I'd rather have a Torpedo or a Racer 5.

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle date 11/12/2014 so 60 days old. That's a little old for an ipa and maybe why this seems to have dropped off terribly. Pours an odd head that bubbles feverishly then dissipates quickly. Smells of garlic and onions, bitterness, resins. Taste is an off onion hop flavor. More and more challenging to drink as it gets to bottom. Had to drain pour.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.