1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,690 | Reviews: 2,961 | Show All Ratings:
JayAre46

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A - 12oz long neck, poured into a brooklyn tulip, 2 finger off white head, on top of a transparent burnt orange color with some pale orange hues shining thoughout the edges, shows good retention and lacing down the glass.

A - citrusy zest, dry lemon peel, pale biscuty maltyness, very par aroma. considering the praise this one gets

T - watery with a good biscut malt throughout, the flavors are fruity citrus and are not abundant, a little pine hop character and orange and lemon peel dryness, no alcohol present and well balanced.

M - medium to light bodied, the carbonation is closer to medium and it is in the middle of crisp and smooth. this is the worst part of the beer IMO it needs more body and a creamy feeling

O - ok this beer is completely overrated and i do not understand how it gets the recognition it does, a dissappointment to say the least. i can say that the beer is clean but not above many in the style for me. sorry homers, lets get real with out selves

07-10-2011 23:02:55 | More by JayAre46
hooplehead

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Nothing remarkable. Decent foam head. Although dissipated rapidly. Nice color, typical for the style. Fine.

Smell: Huge hop nose. Slightly intimidating. I was prepared for a hop soup, not necessarily in a good way.

Taste: All hop up front, slightly overwhelming. A bit heavy handed to me. Not a lot of nuance. Bitterness follows through finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, well carbonated. Fine for the style.

Overall: It's a hop bomb. If that's your thing, it's your beer. Any nuance in malt character or secondary qualities are buried in the bitterness. There are some pleasant floral and citrusy notes in there, too. I couldn't drink more than one of these.

08-18-2011 23:05:49 | More by hooplehead
quasimoto

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A - Slightly cloudy amber/orange color. Huge fluffy head, plenty of lacing.

S - STRONG grapefruit, piney hops....and that is it. No balance at all.

T - Starts off with hops, kinda floral/soapy. Then it turns to a grapefruit pine and finishes w/ grapefruit...oh wait there is malt, waaay in the back.

M - Sharp carbination along with the hop bitterness.

D - A little too unbalanced. Good drinkability, but I believe there should be some balance.

10-16-2006 13:41:55 | More by quasimoto
jeffmonarch

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice cloudy copper color with a thick head that stays for a while.

S - Good hop smell with some citrus scents.

T - Strong hop flavor with some good bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I like this one a lot.

12-21-2007 04:41:59 | More by jeffmonarch
tayner

Arizona

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date or batch number.

cloudy amber with a big rocky head that dissipated to nothing as the beer warmed in my glass. the only lace is at the very top of the glass.

smell is overwhelmingly citrus/flowery hops.

Taste is, well, like i am chewing on some hop flowers. Not alot of malt to balance it out. It is almost "west coast" hop heavy.

It seems carbonated enough to drink if you drink it fast.. not a sipper, the hops are too bitter to sip it.

i think it needs more malt to help with the balance and improve drinkability. I managed to finish one, but i dont want another.

02-22-2008 16:46:50 | More by tayner
bierguru

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A- golden thin white head

S - slight pine with a strong hop nose

T - bitter citrus taste maybe grapefruit strong hop

M - slight carbonation to the beer but all in all pretty smooth

D - yeah i would have a few and try again but frankly it was just a typical ipa

09-06-2010 19:42:36 | More by bierguru
deapokid

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Opening with a sweet apricot aroma and a orange presence accompanied with chalky foam, this IPA matches a hefeweizen's sweetness with a big blast of hops, which works considerably well... most of the time.
This floral little beer invigorates the tastebuds with scintillating hop undertones and the bitterness of orange peel and lemon, which is an intriguing combination but not a completely satisfying one. It'll make a hop addict yearn for the close, but a wheat beer aficionado will be confused by the bitter aftertaste. I, myself, wanted something more along the lines of an Arrogant Bastard or Nugget Nectar, while this strange little brew left me confused and distracted.

02-19-2008 22:25:43 | More by deapokid
semihobo

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

12 oz, batch 8752 bottled 9/16/08, let it warm for a while out of the fridge.

Pours with a huge head, looks like whipped egg whites, settles slowly into a perfect formed head. Quite concave, like a satellite dish. Good lacing. Nice cloudy dark peach color, brew appears totally still, otherwise would be a 5... lacing on the sides of the glass is out of control.

Smell is a mix of pine resin and citrus. A varied hop profile. Malts are light and sweet, a bile note sneaks in from somewhere though as it warms...

Taste is tough to pin down. Definitely bitter but not abrasive, the hops are not as nuanced as in the smell, just straight centennial. Much drier than expected. Straight pale malts don't make the best complement to the hops. Lots of pine resin.

Finish is dry. Sticky and full-bodied, perhaps a little too much so.

I was still finding new tastes when I finished the glass and the alcohol is well-hidden, will happily continue drinking this when I can get it. Above average.

12-05-2008 00:59:53 | More by semihobo
wesbrownyeah

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Appearance is a funky orange fluid with a heavy carbonated head of one inch that slowly falls leaving plenty of lacing.

Smell is fresh cut hops that are also followed by a malty goodness. Alittle oil scent as well.

Taste is off balance. I taste metals, sulfer, hops and malt.. in that order... wierd. Try again... this time left alittle foam on my upper lip but still has the same taste with lingering after taste.

M-D- When it comes down to mouthfeel and drinkability i love all ipas and will forever. But for this one it leaves me wandering what went wrong.
M- Not the smoothest beer and leaves mouth feeling dry and unsatisfied.
D- Will have again not sure when.

04-07-2009 18:56:09 | More by wesbrownyeah
mikebiewer

North Dakota

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

See the beer in action over on my blog. Just copy and paste the address below into your browser.

Packaging

The dead looking fish on the front can somewhat turn me off from wanting to pick this beer up off the shelf. However, the colors are nice and classic with a nice looking design. The text is informative and attempts to be inspiring, but feels a bit to classic for me. Finding the ABV and that its an American IPA before picking it up helps me to decide that I'd like to try this beer.

Appearance

A deep golden hue with lots of carbonation comes off this beer instantly. The head is fluffy like a cloud and laces the glass for pretty much the length of the drinking session.

Smell

It starts hoppy, but slowly becomes a sweeter as time passes. Upon smelling it a few times I can really start to smell a yeasty fruitiness in my nose.

Taste

The first drink attacks my tongue with an intense army of little acids that are digging out my taste buds and kicking them around my mouth. After that initial drink, things calm down and balance out a little more. However, I am surprised by the amount of sweetness that carries throughout this beer. I can't pin point if its all malt of divided in half with the hops.

Mouthfeel

A medium bodied mouth feel. It definitely has some body and carbonation. It doesn't stick to the inside of my mouth, teeth or ribs at all. Very smooth.

Drinkability

Some people think I shouldn't "down" my beers and just enjoy them. I agree somewhat, but I feel being able to finish off a beer quickly is a good test of drinkability. That being said, I think this beer definitely can be finished off quickly if you need to leave or something, but I don't think its a beer I would drink all night long. It just has a bit to much apparent sweetness for my preference.

04-16-2010 03:00:29 | More by mikebiewer
engagechad

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

I bought this beer as a single from Corks and Kegs in Richmond, VA - Packaged on 1-7-11 and drank on 1-11-11

I have had this beer before. I was not a fan, but then once I began to read the boards and the reviews I realized that this beer is a staple among IPA lovers so I thought that it would be in my (as well as Bells) best interest, in order to maintain integrity with my reviews to give it another shot just in case I got a funky one the first time. This one was very fresh.

Popped the cap on this after I had it sit for a few minutes to warm from being really cold in the fridge. It pours beautifully, it's a golden yellow that is very pure. The head is healthy and thick

Smells slightly of citrus, but (for me) is considerably overshadowed by some earthy pine. I usually love the piney tones in IPA's but there is too much earthyness in this for me

Taste was earthy as well, not bad at all just not my cup of tea.. er.. beer

Feels great and drinks great for a 7% beer but my main issue is the earthyness.

Chad

01-12-2011 16:13:21 | More by engagechad
heysuz

Indiana

Intro: 12 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Thin head, less than a finger's width that does not stick at all, honey colored, slightly cloudy.

Smell: Can smell the hops, but not very strong, one dimensional.

Taste: Bitter or maybe slightly stale after taste but good hoppy tone and dryness to it.

Mouthfeel: Dry feel with a strong after taste, low carbonation.

Drink: Somewhat under whelmed in general, but would be a good starter beer for introduction to APA/IPAs.

03-06-2011 17:34:11 | More by heysuz
bwmichaud

Vermont

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Has a nice orange color to it which is what I would expect. The hops are present in the bittering department but they seem to be lacking in the aroma. I'm tasting a little sweetness that doesn't really seem to belong there. Overall, I'd say it's a decent beer but not something that I would seek out. If it were offered to me or available for $1 a bottle, I'd drink it again.

10-20-2011 14:03:39 | More by bwmichaud
tut2528

Bottle 8/7/2012… reviewed on 8/28/2012

A: pours a dark orange-brown with a solid 1.5 fingers worth of frothy pure white head formation. Big bubbles stick to the sides as the lacing is very strong. Held up to the light the body turns a golden color. Moderate carbonation, moderate transparency.

S: high amounts of orange peel citrus notes and floral hops, and quite grainy. I’m actually surprised by the lack of complexity in this one as I was expecting more fruit and tropical notes.

T: I pick up on a big biscuit character, bitter pine hops, some citrus, a very slight touch of grapefruit, lots of grain and mild touch of alcohol. Balance is slightly off in my opinion

M: crisp finish is pleasant, leaves a moderate hop aftertaste on the palate that may be too much for some, but it's enjoyable. Medium bodied, this one goes down quick.

O: Unfortunately, I’m disappointed in this one. I was expecting a bit more from Bell’s on this especially with such great reviews and it leaves me wondering if I'm missing something here. I personally think there is too much grain which throws this one off. The hops are great, but there is a lack of tropical fruits to help the balance of this brew.

08-28-2012 20:20:38 | More by tut2528
twaddlac

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

A- Cloudy, jaundice color, little head, little lace, no visible nucleation points.

S- Coriander, honey and citrus. Slight hops, nothing too impressive here.

T- Initial sweet taste; honey, coriander, and slight citrus. Aftertaste of slight hops which leave an astringent taste.

M- Medium body, medium-heavy carbonation with a dry finish.

D- Good beer, nothing too exciting about this one, but it can be drank in large quantities. Overall, it's pretty balanced, but nothing too special about this beer.

01-31-2010 04:17:45 | More by twaddlac
cocogan

Got on-tap at Blue Door Pub

Visual: Gold in color, no head, minimal lacing.

Aroma: Was hard for me to get a good smell, not sure if it was the beer or the atmosphere, but I picked up bits of lemon and toasted malt.

Taste: Nuts, earth, grass, and lemon rind. Hops finish dry in yo mouth.

Mouth: Average, medium body, normal carbonation for an ipa.

Drunkability: Wouldn't have a problem tipping a few of these back but it would not be my first choice for an ipa. The taste is missing something, just a bit too dull maybe.

03-09-2011 04:17:41 | More by cocogan
litheum94

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz bottle. Thanks to LiquidBread219. No bottling dates.

A giant, rocky, off-white head explodes out of the bottle, leaving strata-like rings on the glass as it settles, which is a good amount of time. Golden amber body.

Lemon citrus hops, with some wood tones. Backbone of biscuit malts. A little touch of tropical fruit sweetness.

Sweet lemon, which reminds me of lemon Trix in a weird, but good, way. Dry, bready malts mid-palate. Sets up an earthy, woody, hop finish. Not very bitter at first, but the bitterness slowly creeps on, leaving a piney flavor in the mouth. A slight honey flavor starts to develop as the beer warms. Lots of carbonation leads to a very crisp drink.

I've been waiting a while to try this, and I have to admit, it didn't knock my socks off. That said, it is an enjoyable IPA, and I would never mind having one.

03-24-2011 03:54:32 | More by litheum94
azdback

Arizona

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright orange color and very clear, medium to light carbonation bubbles that give this one a bright white creamy and sticky head. Lace looks like it might stay around for the sunset.

Smell is mostly bready yeast and sweet malts. A bit of a bitter citrus smell covered in some caramel. I would say orange rind with cotton candy laced on top.

Taste is a lot like the smell. It hits the tongue with a mild biter punch and then mellows it out with a sugar sweetness. There is still quite a bit of bready yeast flavors of which I am not very fond of.

Mouth is a bit thin. I don't think this offering from Bell's stands up to other great IPA's.

Overall. I have had this many times in the past but haven't had the chance to review it. I found a sixer of batch 10337 (bottled April 20th 2011) and was so happy to have such a fresh offering, but I don't think this stands up to any high end IPA. Maybe I'm having an off night. I will save the other 5 for a later taste. If they are better then this one I edit my review accordingly.

05-09-2011 05:06:54 | More by azdback
tdm168

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours an orangish amber with two fingers of thick, foamy head. Great retention. Citrus notes dominate the nose; orange peel, grapefruit, pineapple. Bready malt character, citrus hops, orange peel, pineapple with a nice hop bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is lighter than expected, smooth and crisp; an easily drinkable IPA.

This is a good IPA, but the fruitiness far exceeds the bitterness, and the malt character is a little thin for me.

09-05-2011 22:41:53 | More by tdm168
chanokokoro

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Enjoyed at The Beer Bistro-West Loop in Chicago, IL. Served in a Bell's shaker pint glass.

Served with a two finger head and shows copper with orange accents. Good head retention, and splotchy lacing. Big floral and citrus aromas on the nose. Fairly bitter citrus-tinged hops are ever-present as is the biscuity malt bill. Finishes dry with citrus rind bitterness. Medium-bodied, well-carbonated, and smooth. Very drinkable, however the nose tends to promise much more depth to the flavor than is actually delivered. Certainly a very solid American IPA, but nothing groundbreaking. Still not among my top choices for go-to American IPAs

10-04-2012 05:52:38 | More by chanokokoro
frankiepop

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Two Hearts is a dry bitter hoppy style of beer that I just don't favor. I am sweeter malty guy. This has a little citrus that improves the flavor. It has some quality in my estimation. I think an IPA lover probably would really enjoy this. Two Hearts is a dry bitter hoppy style of beer that I just don't favor. I am sweeter malty guy. This has a little citrus that improves the flavor. It has some quality in my estimation. I think an IPA lover might enjoy this.

12-14-2012 03:26:56 | More by frankiepop
Mike_Moe

3.41/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Orange amber color with a blonde head.
Aroma: Malty sweet aroma.
Flavor: Full bodied roasted malt flavor.
Overall: The roasted malt flavor is up front. The brew ends with a smooth semi sweet bitterness. This is not a bad beer. It has a good malt grain base, but its missing that “umph” in flavor that would make it a great beer.

01-10-2014 04:17:00 | More by Mike_Moe
HopHog87

Kentucky

3.41/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Disclaimer: I'll probably get stoned for writing this review as it wasn't 100% favorable, but I'm just reporting what I drank. I understand that an IPA should be consumed fresh and that the bottle I had was old. Almost a year old. But I'll update the review once I get a fresh bottle/draft sometime.

Serving- Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper top that swirled and tornadoed down into the bottom of the glass where it blended lazily with a light gold. Visible floating hop residue floating within. Took about 5 minutes to equalize and stabilize into one color. The separation had me concerned from the beginning as to the freshness of the beer. The beer is well carbonated. There is white lace all over the glass.

Nose- Subdued, earthy hops and malt. Nothing jumped out here or was very exciting. Again, this made me wonder how fresh it was and, to my dismay, I saw I had a bottle that was 9 months old! There were possibly notes of cider which, especially as a home brewer, got me concerned. The finish on the aroma was of warm apples.

Taste- Yeah, very earthy, herbal bitterness with malt. Some toasty bread in there and was pretty yeasty. At this point I'm bummed I got an old one. Everyone swears by this.

Overall- I think I did myself a great injustice by not checking the date on the bottle in the store. Normally with all the bombers I buy this is something I check. However, this one I purchased as a single 12 oz and it, obviously, had been sitting on the shelf a while. I believe this is a bottle conditioned beer as it had the hop residue and hazy appearance. I normally love this in a beer but this is an old IPA. No glory here. Overall it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't living up to its potential and certainly drank/smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. I was disappointed. If this is what it really tastes like than I would not willingly seek this out again. If I get a fresh one sometime I'll be sure to update my review to reflect my findings.

04-14-2014 01:16:03 | More by HopHog87
ScottUCF84

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A- Golden amber with a thick slightly off white head that fizzled away into a thin 'algae' on top of the brew. Some lacing formed, and hung to dry throughout the brew.

S- An explosion of sharp hops nearly cleared my sinuses, along with some citrus peel. Some sweet malt.

T- Caramel malt and bold, floral hops at first. A bit of tangerine, and then finally some very bitter hops. The alcohol was hidden very well until it warmed.

M-Pretty crisp and smooth. Medium body, medium carbonation.

D- Towards the end of this beer I am just hopped out... but if strong, complex hops are what you are looking for, you'll enjoy this brew.

04-02-2008 03:55:27 | More by ScottUCF84
sirbryan21

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Very clear light brown color very good on color not a lot of head

S: smells citrus' and earthy, not bad smell very impressed

T: IPA taste a little stong but that is to be expected with a IPA, but not to strong for a IPA
has a little aftertaste its ok

M: sipping beer not a chugging beer. very pleasant

D: its ok not my favorite beers, but i am not a IPA drinker so just my opinion though

03-14-2010 19:46:02 | More by sirbryan21
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.