Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

TCHopCraver, Feb 26, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was so happy to start seeing some Bell's start to show up on shelves around the Raleigh area. Of Bell's offerings this is perhaps my favorite. I picked up a sixer from a well-supplied convenience store; it was on the shelf under some (what I consider to be) strong competition but the Two-Hearted's price point and cravings for this particular mess of hops lead me to Bell's. I do not regret my choice.

As this ale poured from the bottle the smell of citrusy hop oil poured out with it. Immediately alive in the Scaldis tulip, a nice, white, part creamy part bubbly, two finger cap formed on top of golden beer with straw-yellow highlights. I had to stop the pour to allow room for the last few ounces which added some swirly yeast sediments to color the body of this brew - just beautiful! As the initial head receded, copious stickage ensued leaving a wide, thick ring of dense lace.

Wow. Where some brewers strike a note with the noses of their beers Bell's struck a chord with this one. It's citrus-like grapefruit and floral (think spring bouquet not rose or honeysuckle) with hints of maybe some berries? Blueberry is the one that comes to mind. This all blends so perfectly with the subtle malt tones that are just grainy enough to add to the spring-like quality as well. There is just a spice of phenol.

The taste, in fact, comes off grainier than expected. Now, let us not confuse such a statement with the simple fact that this beer is hoppy. Period. But there is almost a sense of surprise at how a balance has been struck between hop and grain after experiencing such a significant aroma (Note well: The balance is tipped WAY in favor of hops but there is balance nonetheless). There is an immediate astringency followed by the opening of the hop profile; pine resinous with sweet and sour citrus flavor. The grain tones sneak in as the initial acidity fades a bit and allows for some combination of flavor - this is perhaps when the berry-like fruit qualities of hop, grain, and alcohol tend to complement and play off of one another. It's the embodied flavor of the American IPA; hop palate destruction with just enough balance to make one go "Oooo" in some silly fashion - well done!

Mouthfeel is astringent. NO way around it - this is not for the faint of hops! Beyond the acidity it is quite bubbly and not syrupy like some really heavy IPA's but rather alive on the palate in its medium body...matty likey!

I feel as though I could drink this beer all day and not get sick of it. In spite of (and in some sense BECAUSE of) some palate-drying hoppiness and a non-sessionable ABV this beer is just so damn DRINKABLE. Cheers, Bell's - this should have us on our collective ass soon enough.

An interesting point of note; the burp is quite pleasant and tastes like what I'd expect the hop profile alone to taste like separate from the other beer characteristics. Floral and vegetal!

drums4matt, Jun 01, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: cloudy orange/gold with a one inch head and big carbonation

Smell: hops-grapefruit, and citrus

Taste: Based off of the smell, I was thinking this was going to be a hop bomb. The taste is really complex however. Hops do shine through, but it is balanced by malt and fruit. I get tastes of honey, honeydew melon, sweet fruit like orange and pineapple..Just a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, sweet with a small bitter hoppy aftertaste

Drinkability: This is a very balanced beer and firmly has me as a Bells convert. To me this does to IPAs what their Amber did to ambers. I love this beer. The highish ABV is masked, but I could otherwise drink these as a session.

tigg924, Apr 16, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

A- a light golden color, with about a one inch white foamy head.

S- pine and citrus, along with some hops

T- Wow this is good, has a nice bitter bite up front with the pine and hops coming through. Then finishes smooth and crisp with a nice clean citrus end.

M- definitely leaves a nice puckering of the cheeks.

I really like this beer. I had heard good things and this one lived up to the hype. Drinkabiltiy would be higher but after a 4-5 of these you'd be gone.

king75, Sep 25, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle that's allowed to sit for some time and then carefully poured delivers just a slightly hazy (almost clear) peachy-gold body that's topped by a frothy white head which holds fairly well. It eventually drops but keeps a really nice creamy collar, and a simple swirl of the glass brings it right back up! Additionally, it leaves some nice lace - although it's fleeting. The aroma, however, is even more astonishing than the appearance with a bright, bold combination of soft ripe fruit, tangy grapefruit and resiny pine. Intense! But it goes even one step further as the flavor is even bolder than the aroma with a searing bitterness right-up front, and from start to finish! If it weren't for the rich (almost sugary) and fruity (apricot, tangerine, mild pineapple) malt underneath this beer would be way too much! Surprisingly, and thankfully, the hop flavors are limited to the fruity side of things and the interplay between the crushing bitterness and the sweet malt is really interesting. It's kind of like a "tug of war" in the mouth. The firm maltiness is enlivened by a very fine and gently effervescent carbonation that helps this to happen. It's surprisingly smooth and creamy. This is one hell of a "take no prisoners" IPA that should clearly be sought out and destroyed - one bottle at a time! Most highly recommended.

NeroFiddled, Jan 06, 2003
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a pale golden amber color with a nice creamy off-white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is probably the best aroma of any IPA I have ever smelled. Fresh citrusy hops immediately fill the air and just dares you to take a sip. The taste much like the aroma is a hop heads paradise. The hops seemingly explode in your mouth making you die to take the next sip. Wow! This is one hell of a brew that will certainly become a staple in my fridge. Highly Recommended!

cjgator3, Aug 13, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance - Poured a very nice amber color with a very cloud like fluffy white head that left some very very nice lace coating my glass.

Smell - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus really make this one great smelling brew.

Taste - Strong hop kick that leaves a very nice sweet citrus taste left in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Thicker feeling beer but doesn't feel to heavy in your mouth. Very nice carbonation that helps make this heavier beer smoother and crisper than expected.

Drinkability - The hops really had a nice balance in this beer. They were strong, you did take notice of them upon the first sip, but they weren't to overpowering. It was actually a very easy to drink beer.

Comments - Thanks to chilidog and the '03 holiday beer exchange I was able to get my hands on this great representation of an IPA. One of the best IPA's out there that should be tried by all.

mrpicklerelish, Jan 26, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Pre-drink confession: This is probably the eight or ninth time I've tried this. I've just always forgotten to review because I was too busy being happy. Anyways, poured into a pint glass:

A - Pours a nice, shiny gold with a 1-finger head, white and sustaining. I might need a crystal ball to see through the haze, but there's nice carbonation and sticky, sticky lacing on the way down. Good look about it.

S - Fruity and floral hops with a nice, sweet malt. All of the grounds are covered. Even a pleasant bread scent to go along with it. Really... I want to say balanced nose on this one.

T - Really complex brew, I have to say. Kind of follows the nose, with the citrus flavors showing up first. It's almost tart, but before it becomes too much, the taste melts into a pinier stage than before. They didn't bother trying to cover up the alcohol, which normally would bother me, but it somehow cancels out any sharpness from the other flavors. Gosh... this is just excellent.

M - Smooth, medium body that just flows right down the throat. Carbonation is spot-on. What I'd expect from an IPA!

D - Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can only spend so much on beer at a time. This is yet another beer that forces me to hesitate. High marks.

Overall/notes - I can't say too much here. I've had this on-tap and in the bottle, and both are extremely delicious. Much better than their Pale Ale. Certainly ranks among the best IPAs I've had so far. Going to kick back and watch a movie with a second one!

bbkd3b, Sep 28, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Orange amber color with light foamy head. Head dissipates quickly but leaves lacing all the way down. Aroma is of grapefruit and pine, some fruitiness foreshadows the rich sweet taste. For me, a good balance between hops and malt. Feels substantial in your mouth. I drink this beer all the time. It has great hop flavor with rich malty sweetness and doesn't cost a lot. My favorite IPA for the price.

CDBeerDisappear, Nov 12, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pale Golden Copper. Thick frothy white cap. Tightly etched rings of lace.

Bursting with floral, resins, orange, spicy hops aromas. Mildly toasty bread/cracker.

Crisp citrus and floral resins. mild toastiness, cracker, a touch of sweetness. Spicy floral resinous bitterness. Nice bitter bite, but not a palate wrecker. Skewed towards the hops in this one.

Crisp, slightly sticky and drying. med body, great feel. Slow steady med carbonation.

Awesome drinkability. Such a drinkable IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tasty ass shit! One of my go-to beers in late college. As responsible as SNPA for my craft beer and hop addiction. Bell's please distribute to WA. I'd buy the 2Hearted all the time.

CHILLINDYLAN, Sep 27, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence the beer had a bright brassy color. it pours with a cloudy appearence and a little carbonation.

Aroma is of floral and pine hops aroma

Taste is medium body but full of zest and hops

Overall this is an outstanding IPA and the bells crew has once again not let me down. This IPA is a little more bitter than expected but was welcomed and I will most definatly visit this tasty experience once again.

STKPICR0720, Apr 20, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this beer since the early 90s (I grew up in Grand Rapids MI) and it was my first IPA experience. My review may be biased by the fact that this beer is my reference point for the style. I'm glad it's become available here in DC.

I drank this one poured from a bottle into a tall, somewhat narrow beer mug.

Appearance: Starts with the label on the bottle, which depicts a trout over a background of flowing a flowing stream - very cool. I don't know who designs Bell's bottle labels but they deserve some sort of award (the snowy owl on the best brown ale is one of the "best" labels in beerdom). The beer pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge rocky head that dissapates slowly and leaves lacing down the glass.

Aroma is of piney, floral, citrus hops. The piney scent is fitting for a brew from Michigan.

Taste is dry with an immediate, evergreen, prickly hop presence. If you look for it you will detect doughy malts behind the hops. Definitely a beer that hopheads will like - it's on the dry side but they've piled on just enough malt.

Mouthfeel is lively, almost prickly, due to the high hop content, but with a smooth finish. I could (and have) drink these all night long but they do pack a bit of a punch, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. All in all an excellent IPA.

maltusaurelius, Jul 31, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bells Two Hearted Ale. 12oz bottle into a medium snifter.

Moderate pour pour generates a big one inch fluffy eggshell colored head, which lingers around for a good bit, leaving some nice sticking on the way down. Nice medium orange with good clarity. Pure classic IPA.

Aroma is gigantic, perfumy floral hops and juicy grapefruit. Aroma is so intense and inviting. Some faint caramel maltiness, but it is way overpowered. Prickly hop leaf in there. A little touch of alcohol too.

Taste is juicy grapefruit, not intensely bitter, but very much hop forward. A bit resiny, and hop oily as well. The perfume in the nose also lingers on the finish of this beer, and the maltyness is in there without providing anything more than a little balance. A faint toasty flavor as well.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but that's fine, as IPAs that are too heavy strike me as kind of odd. The resin like quality of the hops as a nice touch to the body. The finish is actually a bit watery, but this beer is more refreshing than overwhelming. It's actually really easy to drink, and the 7% abv can sneak up with the quickness. My first IPA, and one that I will always be in love with.

Flashsp2, Mar 15, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Shared with some friends while homebrewing. Pours a very light and clean orange color with a nearly white head.

Sweetness dominates the nose. Pineapple and grapefruit take center stage, with a good floral aroma in place in the back. The taste is refreshing citrus. There is also a floral hop character and only mild bitterness to finish it. This is an awesomely mild IPA.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, if not a little oily. However, I think I could drink these all night. A fantastic brew.

daythree16, Jun 03, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet aroma with beautiful hop notes . Hints of grassyness and summer. Pours a brilliant golden hue with a well developed lasting head. Belgian lace with bearded structures form as I drink this ale. Sweet forward flavors with a lingering bitter, but not walloped, finish. Very clean palate. Pine forests? Clean flavors. Excellent IPA. Top of class. Excellent accompaniment to foods that need some cleansing bitter notes, yet perfect to sip on the porch after a long day at work.

carlborch, May 21, 2009

Vyvyan, Saturday at 09:51 PM
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours clear gold with a small off white head; smells very hoppy and sweet with a great floral hop aroma that is quite strong in a very good way.

Tastes sweet and hoppy with floral hops, pine, malt, light spices, grass and citrus. Could be some other flavors like nutmeg mixed in, but the floral hops dominate in a nice balanced way. Very light and crisp with an overall floral hoppy taste that finishes dry and leaves a very nice hop taste.

Brew has good sticky lacing as it goes down and overall is a very good beer! Recommend trying this beer and it goes down easy, has great flavor and the alcohol does not take away from the great taste.

CHickman, Nov 06, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden yellow with thin white head, nice retention, creamy lace.

S- Pungent, well balanced bouquet of hops. Sweet floral notes mixed with fruity citrus. Lemon, pine, grapefruit, honeysuckle.

T- Hops shine, sweet floral notes and hints of light sweet malts, honeysuckle, grapefruits, lemon, pine and earthy, grassy notes. Complex and juicy.

M- Crisp, refreshing, juicy, dry finish

D- Very refreshing, flavorful and enjoyable. A go-to beer as people say.

JayS2629, Jan 11, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After a bad experience with their Cherry Stout I had to try something else a little more redeeming. This poured out a slightly murky golden orange with a tall white rocky head. As the head shrank into the body scattered lacing was left to coat the glass. Very hoppy aroma with citric and floral hops coming out in abundance. There was a slight hint of malt to it at times. Taste was very similar very hoppy all the way through this one with citric and earthy flavors coming together for a great taste. A bitter hoppy aftertaste is how this ended. Mouthfeel was creamy with about a medium body. I could drink this all day, great flavor and aroma too bad I only picked up 2 bottles. Highly recommend to all hop heads and anyone that likes a good brew.

meathookjones, Sep 28, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

This one was courtesy of Faro, thanks!

Transparent, burnt orange bottom with lots of carbonation rising to the head. Creamy foam head that fades quickly, but does not leave a murky looking film.

Sweet, floral smell, with a strong hop profile in the aroma. Grapefruit, honey, and some delicious smelling malts. Fruit esters. Very pleasant aroma.

One sip is all I need to know that this one is truly deserving of its praise. Strong hop taste on the palette, but biterness is surprisingly well contained/blended. Floral qualities translate well on the tongue, also a little grass/straw taste. Some lingering grapefruit from the bitterness, and a superb, crisp finish without tasting like straight, clean filtered water.

Nice, medium body, with a creamy mouthfeel. Mouthfeel does not give way to water, which I can truly appreciate. A treat to drink, drinkability is somewhere in between a session brew and a sipping brew.

Someone trade me more of this!

nouseforotacon, Oct 14, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This brew was recommended to me by HardTarget. He said "this is your new 'White Whale'". This was quite an awesome brew - I wish it was available in this area, it would easily make its way into my beer rotation and become a stand-by in my fridge. Thank you, HardTarget, it was an excellent recommendation, and a very unique IPA.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Appearance - It pours a hazy translucent golden orange. It created a 2 finger frothy white head that slowly dissipates. It never fully disappears and leaves a decent bit of lacing behind. The head retention is pretty amazing on this one.

Smell - The smell is pretty awesome. I get the standard IPA scents, but this one has a bit more as well. I can smell notes of grapefruit, lemon, slight pine, but overall it is very floral. There are also notes of mikans and tangerine which is tied closely with a sweetness that is fairly dominant in the scent.

Taste - The flavor is fantastic. I taste the same thing that I can smell in the scent. It is flowery, with notes of grapefruit, a hint of pine, and a decent bit of tangerine What I like about this beer is that is pretty balanced with the malt. There is a caramel sweetness that doesn't compete with or get overpowered by the hops - very balanced.

Mouthfeel - When I taste it, I can tell that this is an American IPA but it doesn't have that astringent, mouth tearing, palate destroying hop-slap-in-the-mouth feeling to it. It is velvety smooth with a light/medium body. The carbonation is fairly light, but it doesn't detract from the overall feel.

Drinkability - Very synergistic. Beer doesn't get more drinkable than this. If I could get this on a regular basis, I could easily drink a sixer to myself. This is an IPA I can could a ton of and still feel like my palate could handle another style of beer with no problem.

This brew was great. Go get some.

MiguelMandingo, Jan 09, 2008
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle. Label code 7150.

Sunny orange, slightly hazy body with a huge, frothy white head. A thing of beauty among IPAs. Mega-lacing left behind, too.

Nose is fresh-cut citrus with a noticeable malt component. The smell alone gets my mouth watering.

Flavor is huge with a piney citrus blast.Plenty of malt backbone there, to hold things together, but never overdone. There is just exactly as much sweetness as is required to offset that hop blast, not one iota more. This is one of the most well balanced IPAs I have ever had, up there with Goose Island (probably better). If I lived within range of either of these, they would be staples in my beer fridge.

Mouthfeel is that wonderfully tart and tangy, nearly astringent, highly carbonated zing of a top-notch IPA.

Drinkability is insane. It's hard to make this last, it just keeps going down, heavenly sip after sip. Again, I wish I lived within distro range of this one so I could get my hands on it regularly. Next summer, I'm bringing back a case!

ghostwalker, Feb 04, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle 341ml. Hazy gold. Fantastic aroma of peach, tangerine and grassy hops. Flavor is well balanced between citrus, hops and pepper. Lovely dry and slightly bitter finish. Light palate, a little bit crispy. Very enjoyable. As good as it gets for an IPA.

Luk13, Aug 23, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (April 13, 2010). This bottle is from a sixer that's just been picked up a few hours ago. The batch info area on the rear label is empty, so no freshness info, but I'll know soon enough once we open the bottle.

I've been enjoying this beer for years, time to review it and make it official.

Eyes: Pours a hazy darkish amber with a nice finger and a half of fluffy white head. Lacing is pretty and heavy.

Nose: A very potent and delicious hop profile. Many DIPAs have a less impressive nose. A nice citrus/grapefruit profile dominates. Few IPAs supply such an inviting nose.

Tongue: The nose doesn't deceive. A strong fresh sweet citrus assault on the tongue. Much less grassy and piney than the tasty citrus grapefruit flavors, but everything comes together nicely. The balance is spot on.

Mouth: Good carbonation, generally smooth aftertaste, even with that hop punch. This goes down extremely easy. The 7% ABV is undetectable.

Libation: What a great beer! Solid throughout, and truly delicious. I feel fortunate that this beer is so freely available in this market. Great work from Bell's and especially impressive is the year round availability of such a solid offering.

OttoBomb, May 01, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to a tulip. Appearance was a clear, coppered color body. 1 finger, white head. Good lacing.

Floral and citrusy. A touch spicey. Good maltiness and a bit caramely.

Taste was way more impressive than the aroma. Big citrus and floral flavors upfront. Turns to a caramel, bready and malty backbone. Finished with a light bitterness that was floral and a touch piney.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium carb and a crisp finish.

Overall this is a great beer. Highly drinkable and great flavors.

riored4v, Jun 02, 2013
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.