Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Mosley1212

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from the bottle into my DFH Signature Glass.

A--Wonderful tangerine orange with a white fluffy head that produced a mammoth head with a hard pour. Great retention all the way down the glass.

S--Smells of hops, pine cones, citrus, and fresh cut grass. Little bit of a citrus bite up front with a heavy hop wallop at the end.

T--Follows the nose fantastically. It has an amazing grassy, piny flavor. Love the taste of citrus on this. Pineapple, grapefruit, and a hint of coriander. The grassy aftertaste is dank on the tongue.

M--Light body with medium carbonation. The tongue is left with a heavy bitter flavor that lasts a long time after the sip is finished.

O--This is one of my top 5 favorite IPAs. If it were more readily available it would be a fridge staple. It is definitely something I will be seeking out in the future.

05-06-2011 01:19:19 | More by Mosley1212
rtratzlaff

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Looks of a reddish amber with a decent head that sticks around. Smells of citrusy hops and sweet malt. The taste of this beer blows me away. It is quite tasty with citrus flavors of orange and grapefruit. The malt backbone holds strong keeping the strong hops in balance. All around maybe one of my favorite IPAs for its unique taste.

01-04-2008 16:13:50 | More by rtratzlaff
zoso1967

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

A = Clear amber color with a good amount of carbonation for an American style IPA. Clean white head.

S = Wonderful aroma of hops. Lots of grapefruit character.

T = Lots of hop bitterness, but supported by a clean maltiness. Out of this world citrus flavors that further entice the palate. I was not able to perceive any alcohol flavor.

M = Very crisp and dry with just enough substance to support the slight warmth of the alcohol content.

D = For being a 7% beer this is incredibly drinkable.

One of my all time favorites and the beer that I judge all other IPAs by. Powerful but well balanced. I even like the fish on the bottle!

02-28-2009 17:56:32 | More by zoso1967
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Man this beer is good. I've had it a number of times in a number of forms, and although they're all excellent, I think I prefer it on tap. The flavor's are an amazing mix of piney hops and a perfect sweet caramel malt. There's just an amazing mix of sweet and bitter that somehow makes this one immensely drinkable. Body is perfect for the style. It's a dog race between this one and the Hopslam for more insanely amazing Bell's most delicious hop bomb.

06-25-2008 22:57:32 | More by soupyman10
zoso493

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Two Hearted Ale is a beer which will always have a place in my fridge. I lucked out with this sixer, as it's only two weeks old. This particular review comes from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a Guiness tulip-shaped pint glass.

Appearance: In terms of color, Two Hearted Ale is almost the picture-perfect American IPA. It pours a vibrant copper-apricot color with tinges of amber found where the glass gets fat. It's not as hazy as a lot of other IPA's but it's by no means transparent. The beer also has a real glow to it, I think because it was brewed, in part, by Jesus Christ. Atop the beer is a foamy two-finger head that subsides fairly rapidly to form a thin cover over the top of the liquid. There's not a whole lot in the way of lacing, but a few streaks find their way to the sides of my glass. I don't know if this should be considered when awarding scores for appearance, but I don't know if there's another beer that looks as appetizing to me than Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Smell: The scent of Two Hearted Ale is perfection achieved for an IPA. What a glorious floral, citric and juicy aroma this beer produces. This is a beer that makes absolutely zero qualms about being hop-centric and I am cherishing every whiff I get out of the glass. Though this is obviously a hopped up brew, the caramel malts also manage to sneak through and add a wonderful sugar-coated sensation to the already delectable hops.

Taste: Ah, so this is what Centennial hops taste like. They're in no short supply in Two Hearted Ale and they taste delicious. The hops floral and citric hops are again the most dominant characters in the taste, with a good deal of grapefruit and pine coming through as well. The malts are present but certainly to a lesser extent (as they damn well should be). Two Hearted is without a shadow of a doubt a great beer, but it's just a tad too subduedbecause it is just a tad subdued for my taste. Still, this is an outstanding hoppy beverage and one that I will imbibe in earnest.

Mouthfeel: This is a nicely carbonated beer and as such is very refreshing and somewhat crisp. The body, however, is lacking just a bit, in my opinion. It's just a little thinner than I would expect a great IPA to be, but it's by no means a turn-off to the beer. It is still extremely smooth and strikes just the right balance between being sticky and dry.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the bottle before I could comment on the drinkability and I think that will suffice as an explanation as to why this is a fantastically drinkable beer. It's exceptionally smooth and just has an inexplicable refreshing quality to it. The alcohol, though not being excessive at 7% is totally masked and plays no part in the taste. I could drink this beer all day and then some.

All said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a masterpiece of a beer. I've never been disappointed in the slightest margin by Larry Bell, and this beer is no exception. I can comfortably call this a world class IPA and a brew that I am eternally grateful is easily accessible to me. Two Hearted is my go-to beer if I'm need of a flavorful yet still drinkable beer and will continue to buy this beer until it is no longer made.

05-29-2010 23:47:05 | More by zoso493
eberkman

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a hazy, honeylike orange-amber with a full, rocky white head that retained very well. Presented an inviting aroma of floral hops with some piney and citrus notes.

The taste was about the most perfect example of an American IPA I can think of. Strong floral hops up front, balanced out by a smooth, delicate maltiness toward the middle, transforming into a hoppy, bitter, dry finish that didn't linger too much in an unpleasant way.

Very crisp, refreshing mouthfeel with outstanding drinkability. This is one I'd desperately like to be able to have around, but Bell's doesn't distribute in Massachusetts so I'm limited to my yearly trip home to Michigan. Too bad. This would probably be my go-to, 6-pack-in-the-fridge-at-all-times beer.

I also had one last night on tap at All-Season Grill in East Lansing -- very nice as well, but I preferred it out of the bottle.

02-20-2007 23:32:05 | More by eberkman
kwakwhore

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap pours a beautiful golden orange with a smallish white head. Citrus pine aromas dominate the smell. Beautifully balanced combination of sweet malt with an understated hop bitterness in the flavor. Silky smooth mouthfeel. A wonderful example of a session IPA with very high marks for drinkability. My first Bell's beer, but it certainly won't be my last.
On tap at Howard's Pub 11/27/09
Simply outstanding. The most citrus in an IPA I've ever encountered. Like eating an orange with peel attached.

08-07-2007 00:49:34 | More by kwakwhore
karst

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Although I usually overrate beer, am sure that I have underrated this superb beer (maybe even its taste).

From the well cared for stock of 33 Wine shop and Tasting Bar - Thanks Jake for a great pour on this one as well as the Weizen Eisbock - great to see how well you take care of beer and all your customers (beer or wine).

White head. Light clear amber. Aroma "is nothing less than a hoppy fruit explosion! A cornucopia of flavors bounce inside your nose and all along the tongue...grapefruit, strawberries,peach,apricot, melons, citrus, bananas,even. Delicate malt, providing ample balance."

Extremely smooth with enought hops to please the hop head in me and not too much to offend those wanting to taste the malt and yeast flavors.

It's truly in a league of it's own.

04-28-2005 03:41:54 | More by karst
aggiearcher13

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

A: A nice golden orange, quite an attractive looking beer. Slim 1/4" head on it fades to a thin layer after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing on the glass. Crystal clear.

S: One of my favorite smelling beers. Grapefruit, orange, and pine. A bit of sweetness in the nose.

T: Well balanced. Quite piney, lots of citrus. The classic Bell's yeast flavor is in there also.

M: Excellent carbonation, medium body, very well done.

D: A pint of this goes really quick.

Great beer, I can't say enough about it.

07-13-2009 04:16:03 | More by aggiearcher13
Greggy

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Pours a nice 2 finger head that leaves some nice sticky lace as it recedes. Although the lacing recedes, it has a nice fluffy cap throughout. The body is a shade above golden with some minimal sediment.

S- Nice pine, grapefruit aroma with a great malty bready backbone.

T- Starts thick and creamy with notes of light pine and citrus hops then moves into a nice light caramel-breadiness and finishes dry. This is the definition of balance.

M- Great thick feel and carb spot on.

D- The 7% is very well hidden in this brew, and although it's not sessionable, it's damn drinkable. It's odd it took me so long to review this as I have had it quite a few times. I will be enjoying again in the future.

09-25-2008 01:49:54 | More by Greggy
bort11

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

After discussing the label on another thread, I thought I should post a review.

A- 12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. The head is a tight egg white foam peppered with larger bubbles. it stands about a finger and quickly comes down to a solid lace. The beer is a hazy honey color.

S- Honey sweet with some notes of citrus hops underneath. The combo comes off as a bit strawberry.

T- This is what an IPA is all about! Sweet bitter hops kick with a grapefruit finish. mixes in those honey notes, Malt comes through a bit as it warms in your mouth. Everything is well balanced

M- Very smooth start and the bitter creeps its way down your throat. Perfect carbonation, it tickles, there is some substance to it, it wants to linger but doesn't over stay it's welcome. The after taste floats in the mouth instead of laying down on the tongue.

D- Very drinkable. One makes me want another. This will be great for out on the deck on a hot summer night. This is one to come back to again and again.

04-15-2006 02:20:53 | More by bort11
TheOtherMike

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Be careful pouring this one and many (most/all?) of the Bell's. There's about 1/8 inch of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I always pour very slowly and stop when the sediment is about to leave the bottle - it definitley spoils the appearance and (IMO) the taste as well.

Other than that - I love this beer! The smell is very much IPA, but it has a very unusual taste. Almost too strong - right on the border between great and bizarre, which makes it interesting.

The mouthfeel is a bit harsh - acidic? I don't know - but that's why I reduced the drinkability too. Smell & taste keep me coming back. Sediment and mouthfeel give me pause.

06-07-2004 15:47:43 | More by TheOtherMike
Nuke77

Tennessee

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Nice light amber color when poured from the bottle with a nice head. The smell is grapefruit and floral. What a great taste...nice floral essence with citrus and pine. Very refreshing. It taste very fresh just asking for another sip. This is an outstanding IPA. I haven't had a better one yet.

12-04-2011 23:54:03 | More by Nuke77
number1bum

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to BeerTruth for this one.

Pours a beautiful honeysuckle amber with nice clarity and a pillowy finger and a half of off-white head. Lots of bubbles and the head has good retention, leaving a film across the top and some stick on the sides.

Smell is very fragrant with flowery aromas as well as grapefruit and some honey-like sweetness. The smell is really turning me on to this beer.

Taste starts off with a citrusy sweet splash of hops, grapefruit and honey, followed by more floral and citrusy hops. There is a little bit of bitterness toward the end but this is superbly balanced and has very little lingering bitterness for an IPA. Mouthfeel is nearly full-bodied and the carbonation is just right. It's very smooth and creamy on the tongue.

I can see why this is consistently rated so highly. Awesome IPA.

06-05-2007 18:02:28 | More by number1bum
flipper2gv

Quebec (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to BEERchitect for my first taste of Bell's offerings.

2 months old bottle (due to international shipping issues, it was really really fresh when he sent it the first time).

A: Quite aggressive pour gave half a finger of a pure white creamy looking head. The beer itself is definitely blonde and it is almost translucent. Retention is ok and lacing is pretty good.

S: There is a lot of juicy red grapefruit in this. Lots of pineapple, mango, apricot and orange/lime juice in this. Juicy and exotic. There is also a fair amount of piny hops and mint in the smell. Also, there is a solid malt backbone to the smell that shows in caramel and honey notes.

T: WOW, this goes straight along with the exotic fruits of the smell with the red grapefruit, pineapple, mango, apricot, orange juice. Again, solid amount of piny hops and some mint. Now, the malt backbone is very solid: you get honey, caramel, cake, biscuit. Very very good and balanced.

M: Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation. Not sticky at all.

O: This is the king of the regular IPA (IMO, didn't taste them all). This is, again IMO, better than Blind Pig. Although Blind Pig was really good, it was only hops and some sweetness that would make the overall beer taste more "juicy" (IOW, giving the sugar to the hops to make the beer taste more like exotic fruits). Extremely drinkable, I cannot recommend this enough. I can't imagine how good it must be when it is really fresh.

03-29-2011 03:51:21 | More by flipper2gv
JordanHageman

07-29-2014 18:19:51 | More by JordanHageman
pheurton

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

pours a cloudy yellowish-orange. the aroma of this beer is the first thing you notice...powerful citrusy hops. a nice, slightly off white head. taste is all hops....grapefruit, floral, a bit spicy...without any astrigent bitterness at all. the malt is there to offer a nice balance. this beer is very impressive...extremely balanced, with tons of hop flavor that is not harshly bitter at all. one of, if not the best american ipa i've had the pleasure to have, when it's "on". i've had a few samples in which the sweet fruitiness is muted and the bitterness more pronounced, which would knock it down some for me. when it's on target though, it is hard to beat.

11-30-2002 16:30:08 | More by pheurton
froggyfrog

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Glass fills with a bright yet murky golden orange liquid capped with a billowy monster of a white cumulus cloud head. Big chunky-butt rocky lacing. Most impressive.

I can smell the tangy citrus and evergreen/grassy hops from 5 feet away. Tons of hop aroma ride quite nicely atop a solid bed of citrus sweet candy.

Hello American IPA! This fantastic beer is packed with taste without succumbing to overdone bitterness levels or off-balanced maltiness.

This beer is extremely smooth and drinkable. Lots of nice crisp citrus hop aroma and flavor mixed with lightly toasty malt and a nice clean lemon finish.

I just realized that my case of this is almost empty and I had yet to review it. So I quickly banged out this review. I hope I did this beer some justice.

10-27-2006 03:47:01 | More by froggyfrog
Bleedingshrimp

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a Bell's logo pint glass.Peach colored with a white fizzy head that fades fairly quickly. Smell is grassy with citrus notes. Taste is nice bready slightly nutty body with some serious citrus notes. Grapefruit, orange with slightly sweet malty base. Hops are well balanced and coat the palate for a great lingering aftertaste. This is my favorite IPA. The carbonation, hop balance, slight sweetness are really in perfect harmony. This is one of those "deserted island" type beers.

07-07-2007 04:44:45 | More by Bleedingshrimp
SunniLuke

08-20-2014 21:31:11 | More by SunniLuke
CraftAle

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

This is an exceptional IPA. The balance between hop bitterness and sweet malt body is absolutely perfect. Have also had this ale on tap at their brew pub, and it was equally good.

I was surprised to pay $2/case more at the company store than at Russo's, an aggressive beer/wine retailer in Grand Rapids. I wish Bell's would be more helpful on their label and web site about the type of hops, and the IBUs.

08-01-2006 19:50:05 | More by CraftAle
SortaAmbivalent

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

This is my 1st review, be kind. ;-)

A bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- The beers appearance is a nice cloudy golden orange with an almost 1 inch head. Lacing left all around the glass.

S- Smell is of light citrus hops with maybe a bit of pine.

T- Incredible hop bite that holds on and doesn't let go. I certainly can understand that if someone didn't like really heavy hops why this wouldn't work for them. But for me this is really a great IPA

M- What can I say? A lovely bite at the front of the tongue. Very refreshing.

D- This beer goes down way to easy, the taste is so good to me I can't hardly wait for the next sip.

Overall I am very impressed with the effort the brewery put in.

The only downfall. It wouldn't make a great session beer due to its 7% alcohol level. I can live with that.

04-15-2008 15:12:35 | More by SortaAmbivalent
Scooter77

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Pours a rich amber/orange color with a nice 1/2-inch head that almost refuses to leave. The head slowly dies down, leaving a moderate lace on the glass. Aromas are rich with hoppy goodness and sweet citrus. All I can say about the taste is, WOW! Amazing! Fantastic! The hops seem to attack the mouth like a rabid dog on a pork chop. The hops are incredibly well balanced with some mild citrus and malt undertones. This is by far the best IPA that I’ve ever had the pleasure to taste. I’d like to offer a huge thanks to fellow BA Senior (Paul), from Minnesota, for bringing me this masterpiece.

03-19-2003 05:01:18 | More by Scooter77
welldigger888

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from growler in to imp. pint,Slight hazed orange goodness hue with a snow white head and good lacing.
Citrusy on the front mid and finish, awesome!
The citrus continous strong wih the right amount of golden bisciut.
Creamy sweet goodness, the carbonation is nice and soft. Medium mouthfeel.
This is a highly sessionable IPA, I love it.

02-06-2011 03:48:45 | More by welldigger888
rapidsequence

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Slightly cloudy orange with a nice thick head with good retention. Nice heavy crusty lacing.

S: One of the most flowery hops smells I've run into in a while. Some sweetness there too.

T: So damn good-- floral, sweet citrus, and grapefruit. Its bitter front to back, but not overpowering. Its close to perfect for an IPA.

M: This is nice. Full bodied, thick and almost creamy, but not syrupy.

D: The only thing stopping me from drinking the rest of the sixpack is work tomorrow.

This is a near perfect IPA. Its refreshing and crisp enough to drink on a hot day outside, but full bodied and warming for chilling on the couch.

06-11-2009 02:00:34 | More by rapidsequence
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.