1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Ratings: 8,707 | Reviews: 2,962 | Show All Ratings:
AmyfaceNYC

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I flippin love this beer. Aroma is soft citrus/floral notes, but also somehow briny and evocative to me of the seashore or (as more appropriate for Michigan) a day out on the lakes. The mouthfeel is rather full-bodied for an IPA. Carbonation is not noticeable. Very little bitterness/dryness--just a faint note from the hops. What is amazing here is the beautiful balance between the malts and hops, and the easy drinkability that somehow highly rewards every sip. And again, I find this beer highly evocative--really reminds me of laid-back days in the great, wild outdoors. One of my favorite IPAs.

04-18-2014 00:45:42 | More by AmyfaceNYC
jwchestnut

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

ah, what a gem. it pours a beautiful golden, orange with a fluffy white head of creamy bubbles. the nose is so full of slightly over-ripe grapefruit and mango - citrus zest and a lots of over-ripe apricot. i could smell this all day. the taste follows the nose but it is bright and bursting with flavor (this bottle is about a month old - the freshest i've had it) - a nice sweet malt backbone that gives a candied grapefruit like taste. also some pineapple. a bit of piney-ness as well and a little bit of grassy/earthiness to it. it goes down super easy. all in all this is a gem. i love this beer and wish i lived near where it was distributed. it was one of the first ipa's i had and remains one of my favorites. really wonderful stuff.

04-16-2014 02:54:49 | More by jwchestnut
HopHog87

Kentucky

3.41/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Disclaimer: I'll probably get stoned for writing this review as it wasn't 100% favorable, but I'm just reporting what I drank. I understand that an IPA should be consumed fresh and that the bottle I had was old. Almost a year old. But I'll update the review once I get a fresh bottle/draft sometime.

Serving- Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper top that swirled and tornadoed down into the bottom of the glass where it blended lazily with a light gold. Visible floating hop residue floating within. Took about 5 minutes to equalize and stabilize into one color. The separation had me concerned from the beginning as to the freshness of the beer. The beer is well carbonated. There is white lace all over the glass.

Nose- Subdued, earthy hops and malt. Nothing jumped out here or was very exciting. Again, this made me wonder how fresh it was and, to my dismay, I saw I had a bottle that was 9 months old! There were possibly notes of cider which, especially as a home brewer, got me concerned. The finish on the aroma was of warm apples.

Taste- Yeah, very earthy, herbal bitterness with malt. Some toasty bread in there and was pretty yeasty. At this point I'm bummed I got an old one. Everyone swears by this.

Overall- I think I did myself a great injustice by not checking the date on the bottle in the store. Normally with all the bombers I buy this is something I check. However, this one I purchased as a single 12 oz and it, obviously, had been sitting on the shelf a while. I believe this is a bottle conditioned beer as it had the hop residue and hazy appearance. I normally love this in a beer but this is an old IPA. No glory here. Overall it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't living up to its potential and certainly drank/smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. I was disappointed. If this is what it really tastes like than I would not willingly seek this out again. If I get a fresh one sometime I'll be sure to update my review to reflect my findings.

04-14-2014 01:16:03 | More by HopHog87
byronic

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden with white foamy head which sticks around, very nice bright appearance.

A nice sweet citrus smell, very mellow and inviting

Floral with a malt finish which lingers just long enough. Does a phenomenal job hiding the booze

Lively carbonation with a smooth creamy finish

Nicely balanced and very easy to drink, definitely will look for this brew again!

04-11-2014 13:32:56 | More by byronic
xungmound98

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Hazy orange color with 1/2” of head that recedes to a soapy film on top, with some lacing on sides. Nose is orange juice, grapefruit, slight bitterness with some pine notes- mostly citrus. Little to no alcohol detected. Taste is citrus (on the mellow side, not extremely bitter) with some sugary malt backing and floral notes. Hops gradually coat the tongue, but not with as bitter a finish as other American IPAs. Medium carbonation, somewhat creamy texture. Medium-bodied with a nice balance. Overall this is a tasty IPA with understandably wide appeal.

04-07-2014 23:31:54 | More by xungmound98
friendofbeer

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into non-labelled tulip glass on a sunny cold afternoon.

Aroma: golden, slightly hazy, less than an inch of white foam head.

Scent: slight floral notes, fresh grains

Taste: Floral hops, balanced nicely with malt attributes

Mouthfeel: moderate carbonation, medium bodied, not super sticky like some bigger ipas can be.

overall: every time i drink this beer I am reminded why this is one of the best examples of an IPA. Really well balanced, drinkable, and something new to enjoy each time you drink it.

04-07-2014 23:13:38 | More by friendofbeer
hoffhin2

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Medium size heads that lasts a while and an amber color
Smell: Very hoppy, and can smell the grains
Taste: IPAs are my favorite, therefore this beer has everything i want in one. Initial floral taste followed by a hoppy lingering taste.
Overall: This beer has been my go to for a while now and probably wont change anytime soon.

04-07-2014 12:54:16 | More by hoffhin2
LuvLagunitas

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy orange, moderate carbonation leading to 2 finger head. Looks good. Standard for an IPA.

S: Upfront and good amounts of hops. Very floral.

T: Quite floral in the beginning and then the bitter and slightly piney hops come in. Light malts ends it with a touch of booze.

M: A little less heavy than a normal IPA - medium with a bit of carbonation.

O: Very good, and in all honesty, its one of my favorites of the style. The bitterness isn't overbearing and is very well balanced. Quite smooth and session-able. If you want to try a good IPA, then check this one out.

04-07-2014 03:51:57 | More by LuvLagunitas
W9820

Indiana

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

Bells Two Hearted is a beautiful bright gold. It has a sweet citrus smell I find somewhat understated, almost too subtle. The taste starts off meaty but gives way to the bitterness of the hops. It's light and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.

I tried this beer years ago and, at the time, found it completely overpowering. As the years have passed and I've been able to sample more and more, I've come full circle. I can now appreciate this beer, and it's hops, for what it is...and excellent IPA.

04-06-2014 22:20:44 | More by W9820
pkalix

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

nice cream head on top of a hazy dark yellow.
aroma is mildly of floral hops and adjunct (corn?).
taste.... definitely not a west coast IPA, but there does seem to be more flavor in these east and Midwest IPAs rather than the bitter slam.
overall, a very nice tasting brew with a little of the malt sweetness present that you don't get in the west coast IPAs until you reach the higher latitudes of abv...

04-05-2014 23:50:07 | More by pkalix
Bone53

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2 week old bottle into a tulip glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Hazy honey golden color. One finger soapy off white/light beige head.

Smell: Mellow but very clean. Floral notes such as earthy hops and tropical fruits. Almost smells like a juice to me. I pick up toasted malts in the back end as well.

Taste: Matches the nose with extremely clean flavors. Slight hop bitterness that subsides into tropical fruits. The sweet toasted malts come through as well. The flavors linger on the palate, are superbly balanced, and the burps taste phenomenonal as well!

Mouthfeel: Medium body; Moderate bitterness yet very crisp and refreshing, especially for 7% abv.

Overall: This is one of my go to IPA's. It's very clean, refreshing, and drinkable yet all the flavors and aromas are there. I put this right next to my favorites in the style, and right under my current favorite (Head Hunter). Most likely because I can regularly find both of these within a couple weeks of bottling, but fresh is key! Highly recommended!

03-28-2014 23:52:50 | More by Bone53
Gozillasnack

This is my go to beer. One of my top 3 beers. Pours a radiant gold color that has a slight haze. Aroma I'd complex and enticing, a blend of sweetness, maltiness, fruitiness, and hoppiness, none of them overwhelming yet somehow each being strong and distinct. Taste does not disappoint, it is amazingly smooth throughout, making it hard to not down a whole glass quickly. Thick feel on the pallet. Hint of citrus tickles the tongue while the malt opens and promotes Itself. Good down smooth, leaving a mild hint of hops. Always makes you want more.

03-28-2014 23:42:10 | More by Gozillasnack
alaimoa

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Been waiting to try for a while and overall not disappointed but doesn't compare on same level as some of my other favorites.
Golden honey pour with nice white sticky head. Smell lacks with alcohol notes and dome sticky hop resin. Taste and feel great. Sweet honey, molasses but smooth and not overly sticky. Easily will drink again

03-28-2014 22:51:34 | More by alaimoa
glass_house

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Cloudy honey-gold with one finger of creamy white head that recedes to a thin collar with patchy lacing. Smell is light lemony citrus with soft pine and floral notes. Pleasant but underwhelming.

Initial taste is slightly sweet and tropical--faint mango, peach, and pineapple. Finishes with a relatively mild grapefruit-pine bitterness. Biscuity malts present throughout. Mouthfeel is on the light side of medium, but finishes a little thin. The medium, slightly prickly carbonation does give it a refreshing and drinkable character.

Overall I consider it solidly above average. I like it but always find myself wishing it had a little more to offer in the flavor and body.

03-26-2014 23:57:06 | More by glass_house
apants007

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bottle into my "Cheers" the TV show licensed mug.

it looks great! Light amber... a little cloudy. the best head i've seen in a while. creamy white that last for a while.

not a whole lot on the nose. a little pinesol... but not in a bad way.

the lemon hits me on the first sip. moving more into the rind and pine on the second... i guess that's the pinesol scent i got. there's a hint of smoke or toast. it moves through the citrus range and lands a bit more on a bitter orange as you get a bit more into it. lemony orange - maybe cumquat... with a bit of and iron aftertaste. a little dusty. they yeast starts tasting a little "rapid rise" as it goes on. not at all in a bad way. but a bit in a buddy gave me his homemade apple cider - made with rapid rise - kind of way.

i like it. i will buy it again. it reminds me of the regular lagunitas IPA - but a little milder - again, in a good way. but i won't show it off to someone i'm trying to impress as super dooper.

reading the bottle after my review i agree that this is well suited to an adventure to the UP. it might even be my first choice if making that trek. the iron aftertaste seems to taste like the stream water from that area. not at all a bad thing.

03-26-2014 05:11:14 | More by apants007
joeseppy

Golden cloudy pour with a generous inch and a half white head. Impressive lacing throughout.

Sweet biscuity aroma with bright tropical floral notes-I wouldn't say incredible. Soft pine and smells good enough to drink.

A very juicy grapefruit with subtle bitterness. Lighter sweetness.

Light bodied quenchable craft. Well balanced malt and hop.

Been drinking this on and off for years and always grand to go back to an old and steady friend. Crowd pleaser and quite sessionable. Solid fare that still deserves qualitative recognition.

03-24-2014 00:53:52 | More by joeseppy
alexk307

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle into a Gulden Draak tulip.

A: Pours golden and hazy with little to no head.

S: Lots of sweet hops and tropical fruits. Not too strong of an aroma.

T: Big hop flavor up front with pineapple and tropical fruits, followed by a unique strong blend of malt as it finishes. The malt turns to almost a corn/grain flavor, but in a pleasant way.

M: Carbonated, compliments the style nicely.

O: A great IPA, I'm glad I got the chance to try this. Can't wait for Bell's to enter MD.

03-23-2014 21:43:28 | More by alexk307
BTodd

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A-slightly hazy, light amber color. 1-1 1/2 fingers foam, dissipating slowly.

S-floral, citrus, touch of pine.

T-Floral hops, resinous, nice IPA.

M-Medium-full bodied, sticky, pleasant.

O-Very enjoyable IPA. More floral than pine. I tend to like the piney IPAs but this one does nicely and tastes especially good in a local pub's nonics.

03-22-2014 22:30:18 | More by BTodd
seymourcox

This is my favorite beer. It was the first IPA I ever loved. I've tried many other great ones since, but this one remains the best for me. There's something about IPAs in general and this one in particular, that reminds me of a bug repellent we used as kids at the beach in Maine (and I mean that in the best possible way). When I smell this and then taste it, I'm taken back to the sounds of summer, the feel of soft white sand on my feet and the ocean breeze on a beautiful summer day, late afternoon.

03-21-2014 18:46:24 | More by seymourcox
Cozuma

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: hazy golden color with thick foamy head with great retention.

S: light citrusy pine and floral aroma that is really noticeable if beer is bubbled under your tongue.

T: great IPA bitterness with a strong malty core, finishes slightly spicy on the lips and tongue.

M: good body easily drinkable not oily but not watery at all.

O: Awesome IPA I'd recommend to anyone who favors hops but is looking for a beer they could have several. It's bitter enough but not drying the way some overly hopped beers tend to get. Worth the bucks I spent on it this eve and I look forward to trying it off a tap in a few months.

03-20-2014 05:33:05 | More by Cozuma
BrewThru_29

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is golden. Light color for an IPA. Solid head w/excellent lacing.

Smell is floral. Citrus fruits. Lots of grapefruit and some orange?

Flavor is slightly hop bitter up front but the aftetaste is almost sweet (in a good way) with the citrus flavors lingering.

Mouth feel is excellent. Smooth. Goes down easily for the 7% ABV.

Overall this is an outstanding IPA. It makes an appearance in my fridge fairly regularly.

03-18-2014 14:31:01 | More by BrewThru_29
SLeffler27

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Two Hearted Ale fills a Blue Point snifter with hazy amber (SRM 6-8) while occasional columns of tiny bubbles add to the ¼ inch, pale orange, creamy head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is dominated by apricot, followed by fresh orange and clear, but minimal, grapefruit and floral notes.

This offering is quite bitter up front with an equal balance of citrus flavors. Crisp and clean, with a light apricot finish that lingers. Slight warming ushers in the grapefruit flavors.

The medium body and dry finish accentuates a rough texture and light prickly carbonation.

Two Hearted Ale clearly deserves its reputation. One can easily imagine how a fresher example would be exquisite. Three months from bottling, this one still delivers while unwinding after a long day.

03-16-2014 12:16:38 | More by SLeffler27
fscottkey

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Cloudy rust color. Generates a 1 finger persistent head.

S: Slight floral and hop smells.

T: Hops and not much else. Nothing very powerful pushing through

M: Very easy going down - almost too easy. Like water.

O: My first sip made me think it was fairly weak for an IPA. That combined with the lack of a real presence in mouth feel left me slightly disappointed. I expected more depth and complexity for such a highly regarded IPA. It just didn't deliver for me.

* - As always - when I am this far "off" the norm I will try this again in the future and make sure I am comfortable with my review.

03-14-2014 01:10:49 | More by fscottkey
BeerZombies1

Nevada

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery
American IPA
7% ABV 55 IBU

APPEARANCE: Pours a hazy slightly cloudy golden straw color. Big huge billowy head that dissipated rather quickly leaving some great lacing patterns.

AROMA: The nose was a bit subdued. Floral notes, summertime dandelions and soft grass. Nice & mellow citrus and pine hops.

TASTE: I get grain and sweet malts up front. Nice citrus wave crashes and releases some grapefruit and tropical fruits. Slight bitterness on the end.

MOUTHFEEL: Light and crisp with medium body and medium prickly carbonation. Dry snappy finish.

OVERALL: Very solid brew. I think of it as a gateway into IPA's. Not a lot of that bitterness that I'm used to but still really enjoyable.

RATING: 4/5 Zombie Heads!

03-13-2014 05:27:05 | More by BeerZombies1
DagenhamDavis

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought a single bottle to try this bad boy once and for all. It's probably a little past its prime, about 3.5 months old. I'll try to get it fresh later on too. 12 ounces into a pint glass.
Pours a very hazy dark blonde. Bit of an off white head, but not too much. Smells great. Floral and fruity, but sharp with hops.

This beer is very hop heavy, but it's not syrup. It's very crisp, and has some fruit flavors and maybe a hint of booze. It's not wonderfully balanced with malts, but I guess that's not what the style calls for. Overall, I'd drink a bunch of these. It's a great brew. I'd like to try it on tap too.

03-11-2014 02:28:22 | More by DagenhamDavis
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.