Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,282 | Hads: 12,975
4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a hazy light amber with a modest head that dissipates quickly. Great hoppy smell. Taste is brings evidence of the hops in a well balanced brew that finishes with hints of grapefruit. Feels quite pleasant in the mouth making it a very drinkable brew as the whole experience is exceptional. (294 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz. Bottle
According to Bell's website it was packaged 9/25/06. So it should be nice and fresh.

Two Hearted poured a slightly hazy gold. A good looking 1+finger white micro bubble head. Swirling carbonation rising from a few different points in my pint glass.

All I smell coming from this beer is hops, which is a very good thing. I smell a forest of pine trees and grapefruit. Makes my mouth water.

There is a small malt backbone coming through but it's mostly a hop attack. My kind of IPA. Citrus(grapefruit) hops followed by a mouthful of oily pine needles. A nice bitterness follows that gets me ready for the next drink.

Mouthfeel is a little on the lighter side but still good. Its funny but even though it's lighter it still coats my mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I could and have drank quite a few of these in a sitting.

Overall Two Hearted is one of the IPAs I keep in my fridge pretty often. It's refreshing and full of delicious hops. If you ask me this is a classic. Probably my favorite offering from Bell's.

Slainte! (1,082 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

If I were to make a list, 4 out of the 5 best IPAs I’ve ever had would be from California. This would be the one that’s not.

No doubt about it, this is a fan-fucking-tastic beer. I’ve waited a long time to try and when I finally got my hands on it – I got as much as I could. In Chicago, I had this on-tap every place I crossed that had it. I even had it on engine which was delicious but not quite as tasty as the regular draft.

This is a bold IPA for sure. It manages to walk the line between an IPA and a DIPA keeping the best aspects of each. The aroma is a gorgeous bouquet of pine and citrus hop flavors. The hop flavors are held in check by a sweet doughy malt character. It’s a very well made beer.

I could and did drink a bunch of these. I could drink it all day honestly. Can’t say enough good things about this one. (843 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Maximum respect to hoppymeal for sending me four bottles of this beer in our recent trade. Poured into a nonic, Two Hearted Ale is undoubtedly hazy, golden amber with a dense and rocky small white head and sticky lacing. Sparse carbonation. Profoundly zesty citric hop aromas, with grapefruit and pine notes abiding. A substantial caramel malt scent is also detectable. Sharp grapefruit bitterness leads the hop profile here, with young spruce cone and apricot flavors arriving late in the sip. Some mineral notes ride along with a rather understated caramel malt bill that is all but obliterated by the brash (but not overwhelming) hops. Bready aftertaste. Peppery mouthfeel, juicy too. Pretty dry finish -- actually, pretty dry overall. Very nice mouthfeel on this just about medium-bodied ale. This is a ridiculously flavorful IPA which makes it incredibly drinkable. Easily one of the best of its style in the world. (920 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone IPA glass.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful dark honey color with a very slight haziness. The head is thick and creamy, about two fingers tall at first. It holds well, but eventually settles thin cap of creamy head. Leaves good lacing on the way down.

Smell - A mix of sweetness with a hint of fresh, sharp/dry bitter hops. Some caramel and molasses in the middle, along with a moderate spice character. The malt aroma is rich and sweet. Moderate spicy alcohol.

Taste - Caramel sweetness up front, with a mix of crisp/bitter hops. This initial taste is well-balanced for an IPA, but the hops ultimately prevail. Peppery spiciness and some sweet fruitiness (peach?) come through after the initial flavors. The finish has rising hints of spicy alcohol with the rich, bready, and slightly sweet malts coming through. The aftertaste reveals again the crisp bitterness of the hops mixed with a mellow sweetness again.

Mouthfeel - Lots of carbonation bite off the bat, but thankfully this calms down after a second or two. Light-bodied with okay smoothness.

Drinkability - A bitter beer with an interesting rich sweetness present. Decent drinkability, as the flavors are strong.

A very good IPA, I really like the buttery/caramel sweetness it has to it. Highly recommended. (1,323 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

a: the color is nothing special, but the head it leaves upon pouring looks excellent. a few inches, or "fingers" worth as the rogues refer, lingers for a while.

s: the smell is exceptional. citrus, fruity, if god has a smell, this might be it.

t: a wonderful pale ale, the one that got me hooked on the style. the hope effect is excellent and eloquently balanced.

m: nothing too special here, but you surely won't complain. strong enough to be noticed, but is not what stands out about the beer.

d: each one will go down smoother and leave you wanting more, shouldn't fill you up too much.

conclusion, other notes: poured into standard pint glass.. overall, this beer should be enjoyed by everyone on a frequent basis. i mean, i think bell's is one of the finest producers of beer in the u.s. and it makes me thankful that my religion does not discriminate against the responsible use of alcohol. I mean think about it, what if your prophet said you could not enjoy this fine craftmenship of a beverage? I know i'd be angry.

this is a good beer to drink and solve the problems of the world with friends around a fire. i think that pretty much sums it up. (1,177 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured this 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Its color is a nice full amber though a bit cloudy. It left quite a head, two to three fingers worth with moderate lacing. Its smell like its taste is quite fresh and citrusy, with a slight bitterness. A solid mouthfeel, not too watery. As for overall drinkability this my be my favorite ale I have sampled. Recommended! (369 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7%

This beer pours a nice orange golden amber with high lights concentrated around the bottom. The head is decent centered around edges. Smells great fruity maybe some pineapple, orange peels, nice aromatic hops, some spice and a lovely piny body. Honestly it smells so good. Tastes pungent, good bitter hops, a bit floral a little sweetness, some crispness and a very dry finish, not as clean as some others. This is a definitely a dry English style IPA. Personally I prefer a bit more American stickiness in my IPA, but this a a good offering from Bells. (553 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

A - see through golden amber. Pours a 2 finger width head that goes down to about half an inch and stays there til its done.

S - apples. peaches. nectarines. Very nice crisp fruity smell.

T - bottled on Aug 14, 06....so its pretty fresh. Pineapple. Hoppy bitterness, but very balanced. Everything fits. As you get into the glass, the bitter aftertaste does linger for some time.

M - medium. very balanced. goes down smooth.

D - Wow, what a great beer. Very crisp and refreshing. Wasnt too bitter at all. Im a big fan of IPAs, and this one is one of the smoothest. Very easy to drink.

pick up a 6 pack and enjoy. Not too much alcohol so you can enjoy 2 or 3 without getting too dizzy.... (705 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: Bottle (Conditioned)
FRESH: Consumed 1 month after production
PURCHASED @: Binny’s McHenry
COST: $6.99/6-pack [SALE!]
HEAD: average frothy/foamy; white; fully diminishing
LACE: excellent
COLOR: Hazy light amber
AROMA: Light grain; no yeast or citrus elements; heavy flower/herb/pine/spruce HOPS!
MOUTHFEEL: Medium to light
PALATE: Oily coating; soft/flat natural conditioning
TASTE: START- light sweet; moderate bitterFINISH- heavy bitter; long lasting
COMMENTS: Completely unbalanced! But that’s a good thing here!!! All Hops are a good thing. Much like the DFH strain. This is the ultimate sipping brew. Nectar of the humans!
CONDITIONS: MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- n(good ANY time though)WITH FRIENDS-Y SIPPING-Quintessential! GET MY BUZZ ON- Hell, yeah! (807 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 45 degrees. Was excited to finally find this in PA!

Pours a light red with a large foamy head & the lacing stuck around for a long time. Powerful aroma - grassy, hoppy, and bursting with grapefruits & orange. Definitely a hop-hog's brew...bitter, but balanced. The fruit aroma comes back in the aftertaste, and the wonderful hops stay with you through the whole drinking experience. I'd say having two would be perfect...wouldn't drink much more than that in a single serving, though. (535 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap at the Sharp Edge. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice light amber color with an impossible-to-get-rid-of head that stuck to the sides all the way down the glass.

Smell: Wonderful, hoppy aroma. Citrusy to the max.

Taste: What you'd expect from an IPA - Hoppiness that smacks you in the face right away. However, this beer also excels on the malt side. This beer is probably the best "balanced" IPA I've had. High bitterness combined with a definite sweetness. What a great symphony of flavors!

Mouthfeel: Medium body. The great balance of all factors in this beer feel great in the mouth.

Drinkability: Probably one of the most drinkable IPA's out there, again because of the balance.

Wow. I had heard others mention how good this beer was and I was happy to finally try it. Now that I know where to find it, I may never leave! (860 characters)

pours a bright copper with hues of bronze and orange shinning through, a white head that was about a finger and a half thick.
the aroma is hopsack; citrus, hint of pine, malty.
the flavor is malty followed by a firm hopsack, citrus, carmelized malt sugar.
two hearted is one of michigans best ipa's, two thumbs up. (317 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

I was very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Not that I didn't expect it to be good, but all I've previously had from Bell's is Expedition Stout and Batch *000 (I forget which, sadly.) I loved them both, but didn't expect their basic IPA to stand up to them. While it's obviously a different style, I love this one too.

Pours from a 12 ounce bottle a medium bright hazy orange. Retains a light white head, medium dense.

Aroma is of good things to come: citrus hops, and little else. (Just what I want in my IPA!) Maybe a tiny bit of sweet fruit -- peaches?

Tingly mouth, despite apparently only average carbonation, lingers a while, and the hop presence makes for a nice little feeling of spice.

From the first taste through the finish, this is chock full o' hops: citrus, pine, resin, grapefruit goodness. Love it. Just love it. No real alcohol presence (it's only 6%), limited sweet malt presence. In other words, nothing to get between my and my hops.

See, I'm not of the idea that an American IPA, especially one brewed as a west coast style, should be balanced: I love them totally imbalanced. This one fits the bill. It reminds me a LOT of Stone IPA, which I love.

Love it, and will happily buy it again. It's just a shame that I have to come all the way to North Dakota to get it! (Captain Jack's Liquor Store near the Kirkland Mall, $7.99 per six pack.) Makes for a nice night in a hotel room! Now where the hell is that pool? (1,459 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale really impress me. To start, I poured a golden brown w/ a frothy 2 inch head. Lovely scent of pine and grapefruit w/ a hint of malt and florals in the back ground. The brew is well balanced, w/ a bold and dry flavor that begins lightly sweet and ending like a IPA should "bitter". At the same time it has a soft carbonation feel and the bitter aftertaste is long lasting. The brew left an excellent amount of lace and the head last thoughout the whole drink. Go ahead and buy a six pack it won't disappoint. (530 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Bubbling orange brew with a solid three finger whipped cream head that has great staying power. This beautiful long-lasting head reduced around the edges while leaving a mesa of foam in the center of the glass, buttloads of candy lace are left in it's wake. It looks like the mashed potatoes from close encounter of the third kind. "This means something."

I smelled a big wallop of hop grapefruitiness as soon as I poured this one! Thats great! I'm also picking up some lemon, biscuity malt, and some sweet floral notes.

This one is heaven for a hop lover like me! Highly hopped, but not puckering by any means. The sweet biscuit malt from the smell pulls through in the taste also. I'm reminded of tart lemon-flavored cookies. This is bright and hoppy but pleasantly warm and richly malted at the same time. I really like this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation that makes for a highly drinkable and thirst quenching brew. This one is smooth going down with an extremely dry and bitter finish.

Overall, this is a great IPA for hop-heads, and might also appeal to those who are looking to try something hoppy without getting their tongue seared. I really like the fact that a beer that is so hoppy can be so warm and inviting, not to mention EXTREMELY drinkable, at the same time. This beer has great balance of character, and I will definitely pick this up whenever I see it! (1,415 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

12 oz bottle, Batch 7508 (we're halfway to Batch 8000!)

A: Orangish, somewhat cloudy, with shades of red. 1 1/2" of foamy head drops to a thin cover that stays.

S: The predominant smell is citrusy piney good old Centennials. However, you can tell by the smell that this has the malt to stand up to them. There is also something else that I can't put my finger on that sets it apart from other IPAs, maybe some darker fruits?

T: The epitome of a balanced IPA. A huge bitter hopbomb that is set off perfectly by the maltly sweetness. Maybe a touch bitter in the finish, but thats the way I like it.

M: Medium body, a little oily

D: 6% is a little high if you want it to be a big session, but I drink this by the 6 pack.

This is currently my go-to beer when I'm just looking to have a couple (or few...), replacing SNPA and SABL. A great beer in every aspect, and I can usually get it for around $9/6er. (911 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer was almost a straight 4.5 across the bar. I have had a better in each category, but not by much. Appearance is golden with a two finger head and lots of lacing
Smell was like a pine tree in the fall. Fantastic.
Taste and mouthfeel consisted of a medium body of malt that was a bit overwhelmed by the hops, but the best floral hops I have ever tasted.
Drinkability was very good. (391 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz brown bottle

Two Hearted Ale was golden amber in color with a large white head. The head had good retention and left some lacing behind. The aroma was mostly hops (grapefruit) with a little malt in the backround. The taste was very good, cirus hops with a malt backround and a bitter finish. It is medium bodied and medium in carbonation. While the beer is bitter, it is not overly so, making it a very drinkable beer. Recommended. (439 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Wow! Shbobdb, Thank you again. Outstanding!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. A nice orange cloudy liquid with good carbonation. The head is outstanding, Big Bubbles cling to the side of the glass as I drink, three fingers thick head white color and a rocky crust on top. I have no Idea why I am so stingy with the 5's, but no here.

The Smell is Big beer hops, Grapefruit IPA.

The taste is not quite the same. Yes big delicious hopy but not like your typical DIPA, More like stone's IPA, Excellent balance of Big hops and rich malt.

Mouthfeel is great but not best.

Drinkability in tops I would buy this two, What a great brewer. This beer is big on taste, smooth, thick, just a perfect combination to make the beer work right. Prost und Zoom Wahl! MK (777 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Pours slightly cloudy and golden with a big rocky white head that persists for quite some time. Aroma is citrusy hops, lemons, there is definitely some noticable sweetness present as well, a bit of sweet oranges, very enticing. Taste is sweet malt combined with citrusy and herbal hops- nicely balanced and similar to the smell. It finishes with a pleasing lingering hop bitterness and a distinct biscuity flavor. Mouthfeel medium and moderately carbonated- just about right for this. This stuff is very drinkable. Tastey and so nicely balanced (for an IPA) there's nothing to get tired of. In fact, I'm going to get another right now. (635 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours cloudy deep orange in color. Head is quite boistrous initially, but tames down to become a thin sheen with sheets of intricate lacing.

Smell is juicy hop fruitiness. Excellent caramel malt backbone. Mildly piney.

Taste is similiar to the nose with sweet fruitness up front. Strong malt and massive hop attack perform a delicate balancing act. Definite piney character. Finish is quite bitter with lingering floral hop notes.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with generous hop oiliness.

A very tasty treat for a hophead. Flavor is aggressive but balanced. Initially very fruity, but becomes more piney as it warms. Recommended. (636 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A: A bright golden color. See through, rich amber. The head was surprisingly thick and solid. Biteable even. Leaves a very nice lacing.

S: Slightly fruity smell, but just slightly. Nice.

T: When cold, it has that crisp bitterness that masks any subtlety.
It has an odd, fishy aftertaste that reminds me of lake water... but that's probably because of the bottle label. Unfortunately as it warms up it gets noticeably sour. Like warm, old orange juice. (personal experience. Don't ask.)

M: Crisp, significant carbonation. A slight greasy feel that goes away quickly.

Not bad. No danger of it becoming my favorite beer, but certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered. I like it better cold, unlike most darker beers, and ales in general for that matter. Cold and out of the bottle instead of in a glass, it's actually very good.
And for that I bump drinkability from 3.5 to 4. (890 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

A big “thank you” to BlackAngus for sending me this one in a trade.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold with a foamy, off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Heavy aroma of hops & citrus (orange, grapefruit & tangerine mostly), very pleasant.

T: Excellently balanced combination of hops bitterness and sweet citrus malt flavors. The two flavors don’t battle each other as they do in some beers; rather they blend together even into the after taste.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation and a very clean finish.

D: This beer is very tasty, goes down very easily, doesn’t fill you much and is one of those beers where each sip makes you crave the next more and more.

To put it simply, this is one of the best beers I’ve ever had. (862 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Tried this for the first time on tap this weekend. Wow! Very good beer for the hophead. Pours a very clear yellow with a nice white head. Very strong hop aroma is one of the first things noticeable. The flavor is full of hops as can be expected, and I found citrusy overtones in the hop flavor, a nice blend of bitterness to round out the flavor. The beer has a medium body, so you could definitely drink a few of these without feeling "full". If you like a high hopped ale, this is very drinkable. I had two, and found by the end of the second one, I was starting to reach my limit on that particular hop flavor. So, it seems to me that it would be great in moderation, but not something I could drink all night long. (718 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.