Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

everythingiszen, Sep 07, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Finally got my hands on this while in PA for my cousin's wedding.

Poured from the bottle into my duval tulip. Has a nice dark amber body with a slight off white 2 finger head which left nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma - Lots of pine and citrus flavors coming through on the nose, some of the malt makes its presence shown.

Taste - Hops from the word go, this is a very complex brew. Lots of piney and citrus up front, and the hop bitterness combating the smooth sweet malt. Makes for a great combination of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium, alcohol notes are hidden well, but adds to the wonderful flavor of it. carbonation is great.

Overall - A very solid IPA at a nice ABV. What a great beer to have year around. I can't wait to pick up more of it.

Genuine, Sep 07, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

TCHopCraver, Feb 26, 2011

hopenbr, Thursday at 05:52 PM
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

YetiMaas, Thursday at 02:57 PM
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A must have for any casual beer drinker

Yopo527, Thursday at 06:56 AM

The kind of beer that would be sought-after like a Three Floyds bomber or Zombie Dust sixer if it wasn't so common.

SteveJeremy, Thursday at 05:27 AM
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

dacoit, Thursday at 03:19 AM

srguin, Thursday at 02:35 AM

mcconnell325, Thursday at 02:32 AM
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

ProChorus, Thursday at 02:31 AM
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.