Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,680 | Reviews: 3,424
4.57/5  rDev +7%

I love a good IPA. This is a no-brainer as I love it too. Pours a nice hazy copper with a nice lacy head. Has the aroma of nice citrusy hops which makes me smile every time. The taste isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be but it is nice and crisp with a nice citursy hop flovor, almost a lime taste to it. Anyway this beer is what people claim that it is, but I am happy that there are others out there that are easier to find. I love hops therefore I am biased to any hoppy beer. Respect HOPs.

3.26/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is some good stuff, I think Bell's did well on this one.

A: Beautiful pure copper color with a remarkably long lasting head.

S: Has a strong hop pressence, and smells of an orange peel.

T: As I have made mention before, I'm not a big fan of pale ales, but this is one hell of a pale ale, very strong hop pressence, slight spicy-ness to it, tastes of an orange peel and has a weak graniness to it, with a pleasent bitterness to it to finish it off.

M: On the downside it's very bubbly, but it's not quite TOO bubbly.

D: Goes down smooth, and leaves a pleasenet aftertaste after a drink. And although it's a little acidy it's drinkable.

Bottom Line: I'd reccomend this to any pale ale fan, and to anyone who hasn't tried a pale ale yet. Ta Ta

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

One bottle was given to me by a friend of mine. This would be my 1st Bell's anything beer and so far im glad it's the 1st.

a- Color is a burt orange/golden with a very nice 1-1.5" head and lacing sticks to the glass like glue.

s- Smell is of citrus and piney hops with a hint of grapefruit and I swear honey.

t- Very strong hop flavor with a nice malty backbone that rounds it out perfectly. I may get a hint of hotness due to the alcohol.

m- Very thick and smooth.

d- I could drink this all night I believe very good beer and I am looking forward to trying the Hop Slam next!

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance is a golden yellow and pours a decent head.

Smell is not strong more of a slightly stale hop. I expected more on the hop aroma.

Taste is a typical IPA with a bitter aftertaste. Not a lot of distinction from others.

Mouthfeel is decent carbonation level.

Overall a good brew but not a distinctive IPA for me.

The code on the bottle was 10207. Was that over a year ago?

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Had on tap at the Northside Tavern, Cincinnati, OH.

Poured a hazy golden color with a decent head and good retention. Lacing was also good all the way down.

Smelled fantastic. The grapefruit hops dominated, with a bit of piney hop aroma peaking through. Definitiely one sided on the nose, but I liked it like that.

Tasted almost exactly like it smelled. The grapefruity hops dominate, but unlike the nose, the clean biscuity hops peak through. It's not enough that I'd call it a well balanced beer, but the hops flavor is just so damn good here. So fresh and so fruity, citrusy. The mouthfeel is good. It's fairly full bodied and warms the belly on the way down.

Drinkibility is high. This is a ridiculously refreshing beer. Perfect for a beautiful spring night like tonight, on an outdoor patio at my favorite bar in town, with my favorite person in the world. Excellent.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A slightly hazy (but very clear for an unfiltered beer) light orange colour with a thick white head that leaves lace for days. Hoppy smell is present, and the citrus is very nice. As the beer warms the citrus becomes more and more prevalent, nudging the score up a slight bit. The taste is something to behold. I gave this the full 5 and i don't question that rating one bit. Grapefruit is noticeable right off the bat, and while many times you hear the term "hop bomb" used to describe the strong taste that we come to associate with a good IPA, this is more of a "hop delivery". Every sip brings more wonderful hops taste without ever being overly strong or too bitter. A perfect taste every time, that feels just right. Great feeling, not too carbonated, and the aftertaste is almost as delicious as the taste. If i could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be a serious contender. If i could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life, this would be the frontrunner by a large margin, like a Barack Obama to Al Sharpton margin

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

A: pours a deep orange color with a nice white head and has some decent lacing down the glass.

S: I get some nice floral hop aroma with a tid bit of grapefruit thrown in.

T: up front this beer is quite malty and then as you get into the middle you start to hit with the beautiful hop character of the beer and tastes like centennials. the end of the beer is nice and dry and leaves you wanting another sip.

M: The mouth feel is pretty good, nice medium body not too heavy not too light.

O: This is a great beer and one of my favorite IPAs. Its extremely quaff able and can be drank whether it is 100 degrees outside or 0 degrees outside.

3.16/5  rDev -26%

A: Slightly cloudy gold-colored pour with a nice bone-white 1-finger head. Great retention and lots of lacing.

S: An somewhat lacking hoppy nose--my bottle isn't old, but it doesn't smell like it's been recently dry hopped. Still a light fresh hop aroma that appetizes me.

T: Nice aggressive hop bitterness with strong piney and spicy aspect--Centennial hops. The grapefruit flavor of freshly dryhopped Centennial is missing (as expected from a beer like Hop Stoopid). A slightly sweet and bready malt flavor cowers behind the lingering hop bitterness. Familiar and similar beer--Three Floyd's PA, Alpha King, although that is a different style in which I am more ready to accept a lack of strong hop aroma and flavor.

M: Average carbonation and on the thin side that I would rate A in a sessionable PA but here it's a little lacking.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Maybe my favorite beer. Bursting with flavor is how I would describe it. I was floored on the first taste. I actually said wow out loud. Probably the beer I will compare the rest to from now on.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Chimay goblet. Thanks to doctor15 for this beer. Interestingly enough given the recent questions surrounding some bad batches, the area on the bottle for marking the batch is blank.

A: One and a half finger high thick white head that persists for 3-4 minutes before starting to fall and settling about 1/4 inch high. Lots of small bubbles refresh the head. The body of the beer is a light orange/slightly copper color and translucent without any hint of cloudy nature.

S: Cirtus and piney hops dominate...malt is present in the background but muted as compared to the hops. I can't pick out any specific malt flavors, but there is a sweet floral underbody that reminds me of honey.

T: Centrennial hops al lthe way...different than, say, Founders Centennial IPA, but rich in hops nonetheless. THe hops dominate but do not overwhlem. Malt is only slightly present in the background. The finish is clean with a lingering sweetness.

M: Medium to light-bodied. Poperly carbonated for the style to give a hint of creaminess in the mouth. Despite the hoppy nose and taste, there are no residual oils on my tongue.

D: No real hints of the 7% ABV in this beer. The taste is light and clean and the finish is nice. I would gladly have another (or two).

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Received in the Official Quick and Easy High Card BIF from Tilley4 thanks.

A. Pale amber, white head, some lace

S.Citris(lemon/orange) floral some bready malt, some honey

T. Citrisy hop taste, very sweet. This is a tasty brew.

M. mmm :D smooth balanced hops. 7% ABV well hidden.

D. I could drink this quite often but alas I'll have to trade for it.

Thanks again to Tilley4 for this.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

A fantastic beer! If I could only have one beer on a desert island....

A: A nice glowing orange with an eggshell colored frothy sticky head that retains nicely and sticks to the glass repeatedly.

S: Big citrus hop note with a nice bready, yeasty malt backbone. Some nice esters bouncing around in their that in my opinion compliment the balance.

T: One of the best single IPAs. The malty bread mixed in with apricots, some other citrus fruits, some herbal spice with a nice drying bitterness at the end make for a real treat.

M/D: Light to medium body with a nice creamy amount of carbonation and just the right amount of dryness and bitterness make me want to immediately take another sip. Very nicely crafted!

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice light amber color when poured from the bottle with a nice head. The smell is grapefruit and floral. What a great taste...nice floral essence with citrus and pine. Very refreshing. It taste very fresh just asking for another sip. This is an outstanding IPA. I haven't had a better one yet.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Damn it. I was waiting in hopes of getting a fresh one. Well mine was bottled on oct 28 or something. About 2 1/2 months old I really wanted a fresher one. Well the taste is good. I am not a huge hop head and only drink IPA's every couple of weeks and not many doubles for that matter. And really this tastes good but Not as much hop as I was expecting. Anyways had a kinda dry mouthfeel and adequate carbonation decent head retention, Piney then citrus hops. Very drinkable stuff and not too overpowering could get you in some trouble with the 7% and tasting like this. A good IPA, Even though Michigan is close unless I can get it fresher I will stick with the Wisconsin IPA's

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

A- Warm orange-y amber hue, 2 finger head that sits nicely on top, great lacing.

S- Earthy citrus, floral, spice.

T- Citrus right off the bat, really round, and finishes with a bitter floral. There is a hint of earthiness similar to patchouli.

M- Very smooth, light carbonation, flavor doesn't linger or repeat- keeps your pallet clean, would be a great IPA for heavier flavored food.

D- I could easily recommend this beer to the experienced hop lover as well as someone with less experience with the IPA style. I fish mostly for trout, so the label is a plus :)

3.08/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The fish hearts beating on the label lead us to a quite enjoyable beer.

Smells of vegetables. A strong and even hoppy flavor that does never get too bitter. Strong, hearty, river-forging brew. Crisp finish and no tastes lingering long. You can crack these forgetting the 7.1 abv, which is a plus.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pretty white head on the pour. Pale orange in color.

S- Citrus orgasm on the nose.

T- Pretty mellow when it hits the palate with a balanced malt to hop ratio.

M- Clean on the finish, very drinkable.

O- This is a great beer. I could imagine serving this at a bar-b-que or a party. It seems to appeal to a lot of people and its not too overwhelming of an IPA. My wife also enjoys this one. For such a drinkable beer the 7% ABV is surprising and can sneak up on you!

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

I have to go on the record up front that this is my favorite American IPA - hands down.

It pours a lovely amber with nice lacing. The smell is almost my favorite part - it screams of a solid IPA but yet it's completely unique. So floral it's surprising, and it makes you want to taste it even more.

The taste is, in my opinion, what beats you into submission. It's obviously a top-notch IPA, but yet it's different in so many ways. Maybe a little sweeter than the classic hop bomb, but absolutely crisp with the kind of aftertaste that keeps my attention.

The mouthfeel is smooth; the alcohol is well hidden for a higher gravity IPA.

Drinkability? Give me a case and lock me in a closet for a week. I'll emerge a better man.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Drank on: 2/23/10
7.0% ABV
12 oz. in pint glass

A= Beautiful fine-bubbled (mostly) 1/2" head which dissapiated leaving a nice lace on the glass. A single layer of tiny bubbles covers the top of this deep warm yellow slightly opaque brew.

S= Nice tangerine-citrus aroma with a light malt aroma. Very nice and fresh smelling.

T= Hop Dominate the profile! Citrus-grapefruit, with a good piney finish. Fantastic hop flavor and a very quiet malt flavor.

MF= Good tingle on the tongue. Delicious lasting bitterness. Nice light coating of the entire mouths. WONDERFUL!! has a little late dryness.

D= Highly drinkable IPA. Taste and mouthfeel bring you back sip after sip, and glass after glass.

Overall, my favorite offering from Bell's and a go to beer.

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

Freshness Really Matters!!!

I have tried this beer twice before this, and both times I experienced a metallic aftertaste that I did not like at all, even though I liked the rest of the beer experience- appearance, smell, initial taste, etc.

Third time's a charm, I guess. This bottle is not any fresher (from the bottled on date) than the last time I had one- about 3 weeks from bottled on date, but there is definitely a difference in flavor, and a welcome one.

Pours a somewhat hazy orange hue with a 1" foamy white head that is gorgeous. Great looking beer. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down.

Big nose of citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, and some flowery hops. Faint pine, resin. Wonderful smell.

This is a juicy beer, and it makes you salivate. Definite citrus up front that follows the nose. More citrus and malt in the middle, bitter hop finish, neither flavor outdoing the other. Pretty well balanced, although the hop bitterness does linger on the finish.

I'm really glad I finally got a good bottle of this. It's still not the best IPA I've ever had, but it's a damn good one, and I can see now why people love it.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

I have had this beer on tap, but right now its out of a bottle. And just as good I might add. Open the bottle and its like you stepped into a hop field. Pours nice with a decent sticky head. Nice lacing throughout the drink. Floral, citricy, piney- its got it all, but I beleive its centennial? Correct me if Im wrong. Anyway, it tastes soooo fresh, freshest beer I have had in a long time, Im loving it. I dont know about drinking this all day long as I already have a buzz after 2. This is just a fantastic hop lovers dream. I love this beer, Bells is by far one of my favorite breweries. Mouthfeel is just under perfect, as it is light. But othe than that its VERY hard to do better than this beer. Outstanding. Love it.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Delicious and award winning!

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding IPA that overwhelms the pallet. Perfect for sipping, not the best with food.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Probably my favorite IPA. Pale amber with a huge white head and plenty of carbonation. Smell of grapefruit and pine from the centennial hops, sweet malt still comes through. Tastes like grapefruit cotton candy--so sweet and fruity--not from the malt, though, which is underplayed. Mouthfeel is full with a sweet but not too lingering aftertaste. I could (and have) drink these all night.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bell's can do little wrong these days & as evidenced by this exceptional IPA.
The Two Hearted Ale is one I enjoy on tap and in bottles with little variation between the two.
This is a classic IPA with more malty mid-tones than the ever-popular Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and not quite the high end of the Dogfish Head offerings.
To me this is the ideal IPA. Drinkable, interesting and satisfying.
Balanced, rich and simply wonderful.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.