Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,420 | Ratings: 13,698
4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dusty amber, slightly hazy with a rocky slightly off-white head. The lacings got Jackson Pollack all over it, gorgeous all the way down. Decent head retention as well.
Decept hop aroma, citrus and passionfruit. Its strong, but not overpowering.
The first thing that hit me when tasting was the bready malt character, but then the hops slammed in. The hops are not overkill at all, and the malt balances nicely. After drinking a lot of west coast hop bombs, this brew is more restrained in the hop department, but it is no slouch either. The bready character is balanced with a citrusy grapefruit hop flavor with a clean bitterness in the end.
The mouthfeel is very carbonated and lively throughout. Fluffy and clean all the way through. I could drink these one after the other, its well balanced and not tastebud suicide like so many other IPAs. Strong flavor but definitely not too strong.
This was a damn good IPA, with a strong enough malt presence to keep the hops in check. Exceptionally crafted and highly drinkable. Toss me another feloniousmonk, thanks for the bottle!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Be careful pouring this one and many (most/all?) of the Bell's. There's about 1/8 inch of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I always pour very slowly and stop when the sediment is about to leave the bottle - it definitley spoils the appearance and (IMO) the taste as well.

Other than that - I love this beer! The smell is very much IPA, but it has a very unusual taste. Almost too strong - right on the border between great and bizarre, which makes it interesting.

The mouthfeel is a bit harsh - acidic? I don't know - but that's why I reduced the drinkability too. Smell & taste keep me coming back. Sediment and mouthfeel give me pause.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Being a HYOOOOGE Hopslam freak I was jazzed to try this brew from Bells.
Sadly I was disappointed!

Appearance- A modest amber color common amongst beers of this style.

Smell- A very fruity bouquet of fruits ranging from melon to citrus, and passion fruit. I was thinking a hopslam lil brother!

Taste- To me it seemed diluted in the flavor category until the bitterness kicked in. A lot of you Left coasters will love this IPA.

Mouthfeel- VERY thin to me, until once again the resinous bitter residue anchors itself to the back of your tongue.

Drinkability- Drinkable in the sense that it's not heavy, but NOT in the sense that I want any more.

Overall- I am glad I tried it, but for my tastes it is a bit too "one note". The aroma is AWESOME, then the flavor, and mouthfeel left me wanting.

Just my 0.02

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bottle into an American shaker. Pours a copper color with a nice head with good retention. A nice hoppy floral aroma that leads to a delicious balance of malty sweetness with an assertive bitterness. Nice coronation and mouthful and overall a really terrific beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

First of all ... American IPA? Taste wise that was o AIPA to me!

A - Nice color and pour from bottle left about 1" head on glass. Definately nice appearance

S - Smelled like an APA, very nice malty flavor

T - As already mentioned, more like a PA or APA. Smooth and balanced, but far from an IPA

D - Very smooth brew.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Simply one of my favorite IPA's fantastic, piney and light citrus notes excellent balance between hop bitterness and smooth crisp and clean malt finish! Great everyday IPA easy drinking, beautiful aroma, medium body, prefect color, everything I look for in an beer.

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I flippin love this beer. Aroma is soft citrus/floral notes, but also somehow briny and evocative to me of the seashore or (as more appropriate for Michigan) a day out on the lakes. The mouthfeel is rather full-bodied for an IPA. Carbonation is not noticeable. Very little bitterness/dryness--just a faint note from the hops. What is amazing here is the beautiful balance between the malts and hops, and the easy drinkability that somehow highly rewards every sip. And again, I find this beer highly evocative--really reminds me of laid-back days in the great, wild outdoors. One of my favorite IPAs.

2.54/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice amber/ orange color with a good head. Has a sweet citrus/hoppy aroma. Taste follow with a bitter citrus peel flavor. Has a decent feel not watery or thick. Bitter is not my style of beer(got from my daughter see likes fruit ipas).But I've had worse.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

The label had a fish on the front, didn't look as pictured. I'm not one to be able to guess fish by looks, but I would guess it's a trout?

This poured a hazy amber into a nonick pint glass. The inch head was a creamy white (almost caramel colored) and it lasted a few minutes it is leaving heavy lacing.

The smell was of oats and yeast with a hint of apple.

The taste was a lively blend of hops and malt. a real heart warmer. Compared to the other IPAs I have had, the hops are more subdued. It was very enjoyable - I feel like I drank a good bitter. I would drink this again - in a heartbeat. - no pun intended

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

One of the best IPA's I have ever had.
It has a semi transparent orange color with a nice creamy tan head, that goes away quickly. The smell and taste however, are wonderful. I just kept smelling it over and over until one of fiends told me to finally taste it. The smell was compromised mostly of sweet spices, orange peel, coriander, and hints of hops. The taste was spicy, a good blend of hops and fruity tones. A perfect amount of carbonation and alcohol (which isn’t very noticeable) make this brew easily drinkable.
Wish I had more and will definitely purchase more in the future. Highly recommend this one to the IPA fans!

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

Dated 6/10/11,

The bottle says "incredible floral hop aroma" and it's not lying! Just cracking the cap releases an immense bouquet of flowery fruit scents, like banana, pineapple and apple. Pouring it into the glass allows for that pineapple note to really come into focus. I don't detect any grain, grass, oat or other typical scent.

Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours honey-amber and slightly hazy. The head is quite prominent and just off-white. It has the look of a standard IPA.

S: Wow. At first, I got a big whiff of extremely fresh floral hop aroma, followed by a potent mix of sweet melon and grapefruit. The smell is both powerful and well balanced.

T: The taste starts off crisp and fresh with a mouthful of hops. The most noticeable note is a strong fruity sweetness that reminds me of cantaloupe. The malt backbone ties the floral, bitter, sweet, and sour notes together nicely.

M: Almost oily, with a medium body and aggressive carbonation.

D: I don't have much to put this up against, but this is by far my favorite IPA. I usually don't appreciate the overwhelming bitterness that is associated with the style, but this beer is so well balanced that the bitterness becomes just another enjoyable quality. It's fairly strong at 7.1%, though the alcohol really isn't noticeable.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

Appears a bit cloudy, a mid golden color pours a nice head that slightly laces glass,

Smells of floral and citrusy hop

Taste, nice 2 row malt, citrus hop and floral hop tastes are exceptional, ends with nice bitterness,

Mouthfeel is light, nice carbonation

Overall this is a good IPA, definately for the hop heads

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A = A very pretty amber IPA, long-lasting head with lacing.
S = True to the label, it is heady with hops!
T = For the IPA lover, this would be heaven; for me, too hoppy, but IPAs aren't a favorite. Leaves a floral, hoppy aftertaste on the tongue.
M = A slight bit creamy and not overly carbonated. Quite nice!

I am not an IPA lover by any means. In fact, I am allergic to the hops as my head stuffs up almost immediately after the first few sips of drinking an IPA. But, the label didn't identify itself as an IPA, only in the verbiage on the back label did I discover its pedigree. So, in fairness, I would have to say in this review that this is one of the better IPAs I've tasted, although I would have initially skipped it if I had known it was an IPA! Very cool artwork on the label, too.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Really really nice beer. Clear copper gold pour with a nice head that sticks around quite a while. Amazing lacing.

Smell is a balance between juicy hops and sweet malt. Little pine tingle back there somewhere.

Taste is much the same. Juicy fruity hops with some citrus and strong malt presence.

Long smooth finish, lingering bitterness. Really nice carbonation.

Overall, and very solid beer. Im starting to really jive on these eastern us ipas. You guys got it good over here.

4.26/5  rDev 0%

A very sessionable beer I'm happy to find on tap in several establishments down here.

Pour is a beautiful orange with excellent lacing as I drain the glass.

Nice aroma of piney hops that precedes the flavor that is more of the same, but is also very well balanced against a nice malt profile. Quite tasty.

Solid feel in the mouth with a lingering aftertaste. Finishes very clean.

Hides the 7% abv very well. It's easy to drink too many of these.

Easy recommendation.

The hoppy aroma immediately brings to mind sugary flowers. Orange/tangerine notes rush forward as well. The color is dark gold with with a smaller white head. The mouthfeel is exceptionally full and delicious. The flavor is of course the main attraction. More citrus on the tongue, really kind of bitter but like any IPA. This is the IPA to measure against all others.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

(Bottle purchased ~May 2011 in SE Michigan)

Appearance: A very rich honey gold. Hazy, good head that really persists.

Smell: Bold hops, very green, piney, rosemary notes

Taste: Initial sharp hops then full resinous arrival, drying, no real malt here, just straight hoppy goodness, a long dry, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth, an easy drink.

Overall: One of my all-time favorites. Highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

This 12 oz brown bottle of Bell’s Two Hearted Ale poured a rich gold to light orange in color. It had a slight haze, likely due to the sediment from bottle conditioning and/or the incredible amount of hops that must have been used to brew this fine ale. Tiny bubbles evolve rapidly from the bottom of the glass, continuously replenishing the thin white persistent head.

The Aroma of Two Hearted Ale is definitely dominated by the hops, so much so that upon pouring it in the glass, hop aroma is evident from about 3 feet away! Resiny, floral and citrusy with hints of pineapple, the hop bouquet is pleasing.

Two Hearted Ale has a complex flavor as well. As with the aroma, the flavor is dominated by the hops. Hop bitterness was assertive, but pleasant. Hop flavor was citrusy and crisp with hints of grapefruit. Malt flavors were difficult to pick out through the hops, but a slight sweet malt and caramel malt character were in the background.

Two Hearted is medium bodied and has a strong carbon dioxide bite, it has a nice mouth coat and finishes sweet.

All in all Two Hearted is a great beer, especially if you love hops! If you are fortunate enough to live in a portion of the country where you can get some… do so!

4.77/5  rDev +12%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. The best deal in the city.

A: A dark gold with a big creamy tan head.

S: Citrus, pineapple, campfire, and hops.

T: After taking a sip I noticed grapefruit and some lemon zest. A nice hop aroma just rolls from the glass into my mouth.

M: Fairly carbonated. But just right.

D: Very drinkable. I love the ABV on this beer. It's not too weak but it's not overpowering. You can session this puppy until dawn. Well maybe not dawn but you get the point.

Overall, one outstanding beer from Mr. Bell. This IPA is the IPA that got me into IPA's a few years back. I don't drink it as much as I should because of the selection at Ashley's, but I love a Two Hearted Ale once and a while.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured this into a pint glass. It had a thick fluffy head that took a long time to settle. What it left in it's wake was sticky globs of head around the top of the glass and a finger and a half thick creamy ivory colored head. It was a hazy golden orange color with a maelstrom of tiny yeast bits dancing around and swirling.

The aroma is dominated by juicy sweet grapefruit/peach flavor and a mild and subdued pine.

The taste mirrors the smell. The grapefruit and peaches mesh together, but the grapefruit wins because of the citrus hop bitterness in the end with a drying effect.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety, a bit chewy, between medium and full bodied, good carbonation.

If Troegs Nugget Nectar were an APA, this would be his twin brother!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice hazy orange with a solid two-finger eggshell-colored head with some decent carbonation going on. Hoppy citric and floral notes announce the presence of Centennial hops.

Taste is hoppy with some grapefruit and tangerine-like notes along with hints of pine. There is a little malt, but it is definitely hop-forward. It finishes crisp and clean with a decent, but not at all overpowering bitterness. There is no hint of alcohol in the taste at 7.1% ABV. Medium-bodied with a nice mouthfeel make this a dangerously drinkable brew.

Don't know that I'd call it a hophead's nirvana per se, but if you are looking for a balanced,high-quality, refreshing, and drinkable IPA...look no further. This is one of my go-to's for sure.

Served from a 12oz bottle, bottled on date: 10/06/11 (4 months old). Poured aggressively into a pint glass.

A: Looks a light golden, almost blonde ale color, very cloudy. Lots of active carbonation bubbles coming up. Finger of white head, good retention.

S: Very floral, hoppy, pine, citrus, very aromatic.

T: Whew! Definitely an IPA. This IPA style is not my cup of tea really... or glass of beer rather, but hopheads should love it. Lots and lots of pine, citrus, higher IBUs, very hop forward in the start through the mid palate. Tries to balance a tad on the finish with a bit of malts, finishes a bit sweet. Doesn't leave that bitter burning pinesol feeling in the back of my sinuses after a sip like some IPAs of this style do, so that's a plus. Also the slightly higher ABV is well masked, I don't get much booze in the flavor.

M: Medium body, slightly on the watery side, light carbonation.

D: Drinkability is hard to measure with this one because it's such a niche style. Your mileage may vary. For me, it's drinkable, but I'm not a huge fan of big IBUs and piney flavors.

O: Overall, I'm not a big fan. It's one of those styles where you either love it or hate it, and I'm rating it here for what it is, not according to my personal tastes. I know it's a good beer for those who are into the IPA style, and it deserves at least a 4/5. Love it or hate it, it is what it is, and there isn't anything "bad" about this beer, it just depends on the palate.

This is such a well done IPA , this is craft beer done right . I wish it was more available in los angeles definitely would be my go to beer .This brew is so easy to drink so well balance .

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

L: Medium amber, slightly cloudy.
S: Citrus rind, a little bready malt, some pine resin. Really nice.
T: Matches the aroma exactly but some sweetness from the malt sneaks through. Bitterness is evident but not harsh. Very well done.
F: Body is medium. Attenuated to the perfect FG. Substantial but not heavy. Dry finish but quenching. Each sip begs another.
O: This is not outrageous, over the top hoppy. It's most definitely hop forward though. The skill of the brewers is evident. This is the standard all IPA's should be compared to. The kicker for me is the little bit of malt sweetness that makes it through the layers of citrusy hops. Excellent stuff.

Bottled 2/9/2016

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.