Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,252 | Hads: 12,850
4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a hazy copper color with a very tall head that has great retention and leaves behind plenty of lacing.

Smell is very strong of grapefruit and pine, an explosion of hops in the foreground with sweet caramel malt in the background.

Taste is sweet and biscuity, balanced with plenty of dry floral hops which all comes together for a bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp, even a bit soft and creamy.

Overall, an excellent IPA that is on the medium side in terms of hop intensity, always a welcome addition to the fridge. (579 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Standard pour from a 12 oz bottle (dated 04/03/2015) into a tulip. Color is a faintly hazy orange-gold, topped by a two-finger rocky white head. Lacing is very good.

Aroma is hoppy, as expected, with bright citrus-grapefruit and evergreen notes, with bread-y malts hovering in the back.

Taste starts with a rich malt front- caramel and biscuit- that is followed by assertive hop bitterness. The sweetness of the malts and the citrus-rind hops compliment each other very well, with peppery notes and subtle fruity esters coming in from the background. The finish is dry and pine-y. Tremendously well-balanced throughout; even as the beer warms in the glass the hops somehow never become obnoxious.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and slightly oily, with fairly vigorous carbonation. Just substantial enough while being easy to drink.

I've been hearing for years how amazing this beer is, but until now it hadn't been available in my area. So when I happened to see it for sale (in my local Food Lion, no less) giving this one a try was an imperative. I was prepared for disappointment... but for once all the hype was totally justified. For me IPA's are are hit or miss- when they're done right they're great, but when even a little wrong they're terrible one-dimensional hop-bombs. This beer definitely gets it right: All of the strong hop notes that an IPA should have are there, but they live in perfect harmony with wonderful caramel malts and fruity yeast flavors. Even those who normally eschew IPA's should at least give this one a try- it's a remarkable beer that's the standard for what an American IPA should be. (1,640 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great color, aroma, head retention. Notes of lemon and pine. Somewhat sweet. Well balanced with the bitterness. I am not usually fond of IPA, but I actually enjoyed this. Well done! Worth the coin. (197 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

This is a beautiful looking beer. It pours pale amber with just a touch of cloudiness and a medium-thick but very dense head. The lacing on this beer is something impressive – it practically leaves a sheet of foam all around the glass on the way down. Light estery aromas rise off the beer – honey and cherry are heaviest with a spice sting in the back ground.

The spicy hop and bright effervescence hit hard and heavy at the front, then gives way to honey and cherry sweetness with a touch of vanilla. The sweetness fades as the hops come back, this time piney, and linger on the palate as long as I would let them. I paired this with some strongly spicy jambalaya, and it held it’s own. It’s quite a strongly hopped beer, but has a terrific hop/malt balance. Got this on a keep the glass special, and I’m happy to keep a memory of this great IPA. (856 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours a clear, light golden color with a nice four-finger head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: The smell is of spicy hops, not too heavy but apparent and the focus. The beer has a light grapey scent too along with some bread characteristics. It smells like an IPA but isn't in your face like some.

T: Taste is citrusy and winey, and a bit spicy like pepper. The alcohol is present in the mix but not strong, the hop bitterness comes into play late and lingers on the tongue. A good mild balance of all the flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is light, a tad oily but not heavy. Lots of carbonation, which gives a nice feel. The carbonation is heavier than other IPAs but gives a nice contrast to the smooth flavors.

D: Drinkability is good. I could drink a few of these, for the style of beer and the alcohol content the mix is nice and easy to drink. (858 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - amber with a slightly orange hue, white fine head and lasting lace. I received two bottles in two different trades, and the first was quite cloudy and had a sediment. I will score off the second bottle which looked and tasted better, but wonder if there is a some variation in package quality. The batch finder on Bell's website seems to be either not working or choking on these batch numbers.

S - citrus hops with some fruit in the background, but definitely hops are up front

T - strong hop flavor and distinctively bitter finish made to seem all the more assertive by the very dry finish. The malt sort of disappears at the end leaving a lingering bitterness to ride it out alone

M - moderate body, bitterness is sharp and tongue-coating which has a bit of an astringent quality

O - decent hop-forward American IPA (826 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

A-The beer poured a hazy dark golden color. The thick, pillow-like head that capped the beer was an off white and lasted for almost the enitre duration of the drinking session.

S-For a supposed IPA I would have expected more hops in the aroma. My bottle might have been dated but it still smelled pretty good. There was a faint fruitiness (like marmalade or jelly) that was mixed with a more pronounced citrus/pine-like aroma. This ended with a hint of herbs or grassiness.

T-Initially, there was some fruit flavor and sweetness that transitioned into a more malty flavor but this changed over to the bitterness from the hops. While the IBU's in the beer weren't over the top, they did seem to balance the beer out well. There was a slight astringent flavor left after you swallowed along with a grassy herbal flavor from the hops.

M-My bottle had a low carbonation level and a light to medium body.

D-This was a good, balanced beer that lived up to some of the hype that has been put out about it. It is very drinkable due to it's lower body and low level of carbonation. (1,076 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope. (559 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

A-- a sort of golden with hues of orange and amber clouds swirling(if you look for it)

S-- smells like a 'garden' full of hops and flowers. also a grassy smell on tip of nose

T-- beautifuly arousing to the tounge. split at 60/40 percent favoring the bitter side but is quite balanced and lingers. actually tastes better after every sip. alcohol is hiding very good behind the hops.

M-- very smooth and easy going. could almost chug this one if it didnt cost so much

D-- very easy and enjoyable beer to drink but also sneaks up on you as the alcohol is well hidden inside the hops (583 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone. (998 characters)

4.27/5  rDev 0%

A: Golden straw with small white head dissipates quickly.
S: Citrus, floral hops.
T: Huge hoppy flavor, with balanced bitterness. Pine cones, lemon.
M: Very refreshing, not too hoppy though. Very enjoyable. Light to medium sized body.
D: Awesome. Could have a couple easily. Great IPA (285 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Not to big into india pale ales but I must say this is probably going to be my go to in the pale ale category.

A: Looks very nice and talk about a good head... this thing makes for a damn good looking beer.

S: I get a strong smell of citrus to it, almost like smelling a grapefruit and some over sliced fruit off to the side.

T: Creamy texture good amount of hop bitter taste. Citrus add depth and complexity to the malt flavor. This drink has enough alcohol in it to give a little warmth but it could be missed.

M: As you continue to this drink it gets almost a silky smooth finish across your taste buds. I think this is what makes this beer for me.

D: Very very very drinkable... without a doubt my favorite IPA to date, looking to experiment more with IPA's now that this 6 pack has grown so much on me. (812 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

A - very clear, almost american lager looking, thin head

S - Very good, strong malt and citrus fumes combine, alcohol become present

T - Very medicinal as others have said, thin. Delicious though. Very easy to drink more than two.

M - Medium carbonation, dry as hell. Easily dinkable. Very good for the style in my opinion.

O - I could drink this beer everyday. It is clean, smooth, and most importantly drinkable. This IPA should be what the average brewer strives to achieve. (481 characters)

Simply one of the best IPA's out there today. Perfectly hopped for those of us that don't particularly enjoy the IPA's on the market that are part of what I like to call the "hops for hops sake" fad in today's craft beer world. Bell's Two Hearted doesn't overpower your taste buds with bitterness, but that doesn't mean it is lacking in flavor. Just outstanding! (362 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a nice golden yellow/amber color with a thick white head that sticks around and leaves a nice lace on the glass. You can count how many sips you have taken by the number of rings on the glass.

The aroma is very nice and complex, floral is the first thing that comes to mind, with a little citrus and pine. Even a little fruity, there is a lot going on here, it is best enjoyed in a glass such as a tulip that concentrates the aroma as you drink.

The taste is what all IPA's should taste like in my opinion. Crisp and lite but still complex, dry and hoppy on the finish. Smooth for an IPA. A beginner might shy away at first but a developed palate will really appreciate the complexity.

Very drinkable, smooth and goes down easy, high carbonation but it allows the flavor to come out.

One of my favorite beers from one of the mid-west's best breweries. (871 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA. (1,494 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Beautiful frothy white head floating above a slightly unfiltered goldish-apricot body.

S: Citrusy hops strike immediately. Smells almost sweet for an IPA.

T: Orange and apricot citrus on the initial taste with grassy notes hitting at the finish. Less bitter than I expected.

M: Mild bitterness, smooth down the pipe, and a light dryness on the tongue at the end.

D: Smooth, easy-drinking IPA that provides a nice, refreshing feel. Lack of bold flavors allow for multiple refills. (487 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Upon the finish of pouring this beer, looking at the light copper tone of the body brings a warm inviting apearence. A thick foamy 2 finger head shows a light tan shade. This is all complimented upon the sweet aroma eminating from the glass. A burst of hops with a citrus (orange and lemon flavors come to mind) undertone come out full force from this beverage.

With tasting this fine Bell's beer my mouth is overwhelmed with the sweet flavor of hops. Coming out strong on the begining this is definetly a style of beer for people that want hoppiness in there beer. The malty taste comes out in the middle and at the end the bitterness hits, but does not leave a unpleasent after taste.

Leaving a pleasent feel in my mouth, with a tangy feeling brought on from the constant citrus flavors this is a beer that goes down so smooth but allows you to realize that you are drinking a beer, and not water. I personally am the biggest fan of the smell and taste but this is probably the standard that all IPAs should try and live up too. (1,036 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a tulip pint glass from the bottle.

A - Nice deep copper color with a pretty thick and slightly tan head. The head dissolved slowly to a thick creamy layer leaving a little lacing behind.

S - I'm getting all sorts off stuff from the smell. At first sniff I can smell caramel and apple, and the definite scent of floral hops. After really concentrating I can actually smell the tangy scent of red wine and vinegar. The smell definitely makes my mouth water.

F - Very different from your average IPA. There's a nice hoppy kick the second it hits your tongue, but the flavor sort of drops out leaving a nice dry aftertaste where the alcohol lingers a bit. It's not as sweet as it smells by any means, but that's pretty common with IPAs in my experience. Even so, I can still get that faint hint of caramel in the middle. Very tasty.

M/D - Nice medium carbonation with a sort of oily texture. Very, very drinkable for an IPA. I could definitely pound a few of these with dinner.

All in all, this was a great beer. I remember trying this brew years ago when I first started introducing myself to beers that didn't have the word "Light" in the front and I remember hating it. My, how my taste has changed. (1,214 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Thanks bort11!

Appearance: Pours a deep orange with a smallish head.

Smell: Pine and citrus. Tons of citrus.

Taste: Pine hits you on the tongue immediately along with a hint of lemon. Balanced out very well with a nice malty background. The hops really come on at the back of the mouth. Beautifully bitter.

Mouthfeel: Smooooth. Crisp in the mouth with a dry finish. Great carbonation.

Drinkability: Just a great IPA. Tons of flavor, great balance. I could drink this all day. (511 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Look poured a thick creamy offwhite head that slowly disapated. Color is a cloudy dark yellow with decent carbination. It has a great smell of citrisy hops. Taste starts out with a slight sweet malt base with a bit of citris hops. Then finishes with finishes with a wonderful refreshness of hops with reletivly low bitterness. Then ends with a bit of drying .Mouthfeel is decent, not overtly thick. Overall another good one from Bells. (435 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Reviewed sometime last year forgot to put a date on the notes:

Poured into snifter gives a bright amber orange color that's mirky and hazy from all the little tiny remnants. Looks like beer sap or something lol. Lacing is intense leaving foam and particles uuuurrrywhere.

Smells as soon as you open the bottle and it's amazing. HOPS HOPS HOPS and some more HOPS. Citrusy orange hops to an extreme. I mean this is what a hospickle is ladies and gents.

Taste starts off rather sweet and malty until WHAM the hops rush in and nearly take over the beer. The hops are huge just like I expected from the nose. A little pineyness coming thru but its all about the grapefruit citrusy hops with this beer.

Mouthfeel is also amazing. Thick n slick with some chewyness. Love these kind of beers that have a thick mouthfeel but don't bomb your stomach like most stouts.

Overall an amazing beer, depending on my mood I'll like it more than Hopslam--don't hate. One of my go to beers if I can't find any new stuff to try. (1,015 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a large snifter, over some cribbage with Dad. Pours nice and hazy, honey or light amber in color. Nice airy head with great retention and light lacing.

The nose is very piney and green -- this will be a pretty loaded IPA, I'm assuming. In fact, I am little surprised it's not an Imperial/Double. Later, a citrus-like smell emerges... oranges. After a few sips, I am also sensing a bready sweetness in the aroma.

That malt sweetness hits you up front when sipping, but from there on, the hops dominate. The sweet flavors return a bit in the finish. While the hops really establish a presence, it is not overly bitter; this is a fairly smooth ride. There is some residual chalkiness from the massive hopping, but other than that the mouthfeel is pleasant.

I've loved this beer ever since Lisa C. brought it to a party of mine in Chicago about 5 years ago. So nice to revisit this time. It seemed much smoother than I remember, but I am guessing my hop-sensitivity has been dulled since then by infinite craft brew tasting sessions. So perhaps I should I add that this is indeed a hoppy beer -- buyer beware. Anyways, I hope my next pint of this isn't too far away. Here's to you, Lisa! (1,215 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Nice murky orange-amber pour, with a foamy head that leaves pillow lace. Beautiful mixture of citrus and floral notes in the nose. Well done... wonderfully hopped from beginning to end, without overtaking any of the other portions of the brew. Nice orange peel and grapefruit essence in the citrus dept. Very quaffable, as the citrus and malt combine for a perfectly round and smooth mouthfeel. Pine resin lingers in the finish, peppering the back of the mouth with a decent IBU. Again, the drinkability is very much the biggest "pro" of this brew. IPA’s are my fave (as are doubles and impy’s), and this one doesn’t disappoint. ABV doesn’t particularly show... possibly in the peppery aftereffects of the finish, there shines a note or two of alcohol, but well-integrated. (781 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Mildly cloudy, golden to orange hue. Pale yellow head that leaves slight lacing.

S: Very fruity and floral aroma. As expected, big hop presence.

T: Hoppy flavor with some spice. Very nice bitterness. The hops are strong, but not overpowering.

M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Very drinkable combo.

O: Clean and easy to drink. One of my favorite IPAs. (368 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.