Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,302 | Hads: 13,081
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer pours a orangish amber with half an inch of fluffy white head, and nice lacing.

The smell is of malts and almost brown sugar like.

The taste is of orange rind slightly citrusy and malts, with a malty hoppy aftertaste that is not too strong.

Smooth with a dry finish moderate carbonation.

Overall I love this beer, and this style. I will definitely pick this one up again multiple times.

3.69/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Twelve ounce bottle poured into a hefe glass. Sue me.

Appearance: Deep gold and clear, with an inch of off-white head. Weblike lacing rings all the way down the glass. Lovely.

Smell: Both pine and citrus hope, with neither side truly gaining the upper hand. The grapefruit is particularly good, giving me something that is more mouthwatering than pine. I'm not getting much malt, except for a vague sweetness somewhere.

Taste: A delightful citric hop that is softer than you would expect for such well-known IPA.

Mouthfeel: A dry and crisp experience, pleasant without becoming astringent.

Overall: An IPA that is very easy to like. The hops are noticeable, but not assertive, placing it in another category from the unpalatable hop bombs that are in vogue. Lacks the malt I've been searching for, but is a complex beer nonetheless. Well recommended, and possibly my new favorite IPA.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Pours a golden amber color with a some cloudiness that is almost ribbon-like. Poured a good 1.5 finger head and some sticky lacing.

S-Huge citrus and pine. It has a grapefruit and almost lemon-like quality to it that is rather unique. Just a little bit of maltiness. Very floral as well. Pretty incredibly overall.

T-Not quite as citrus-forward as the head, but it is still present with a great deal more pine and earthy bitterness. Quite bitter but not a hop bomb by any means. A surprising spicy character hits you as it goes down and it is really welcome and intriguing. There is even still some malt fighting its way through the considerable complexity of the hops. Really great.

M-A fair amount of carbonation that lends a refreshing quality to this beer. Relatively thin and easy to drink. As it should be.

O-An absolutely fantastic beer. Seriously hop-forward without being a hop bomb and still leaves some room for the malt to come through. Very aromatic, with hops ranging from floral and citrus-like to earthy and pine. Certainly not one to be missed, although probably not for one that is not used to such a flavorful beer.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very balanced profile with clean dry finish. Definite grapefruit on nose and taste with slight sweet tropical undertones. A very well made beer that certainly rivals the smoothness and drink ability of west coast standard such as Sculpin. I wish it was
distributed to the bay area.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great color, aroma, head retention. Notes of lemon and pine. Somewhat sweet. Well balanced with the bitterness. I am not usually fond of IPA, but I actually enjoyed this. Well done! Worth the coin.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

WOW. This beer pours a beautiful cyrstal clear orange hue. Immediately one is struck by the strong, floral hop aroma. It is but a sweet segue into the awesome taste experience. Initial hop bite, followed by a citrusy hop flavor, backed up with just enough malty sweetness to be noticed but not enough to intrude on your hop experience. I could drink way too many of these at one sitting. This ale has displaced the Hopdevil as my new favorite IPA.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a well-hazed pale brassy color capped by a lace-heavy off-white head. Notes of tropical fruits on the nose, with quite a bit of soap, and flourishes of mint leaves. Bits of pine and woody spiciness as well, with a flash of brine. Malty base comes through too, with suggestions of pretzel dough. On the palate, it's very, very dry, offering chalk-like bitterness that hits early, opening up long enough to permit a dusting of green-tea and what I can only describe as powdered high-alpha-acid hops to unfurl, with a touch of woody, piney, cedary (maybe spruce-y) spiciness, before regaining control and drying out quite profoundly. There are floral notes as well, but everything is very, very dry (less bitter than just dry, though the bitterness is present in ample share.) Finishes with a rather "rindy" citrus bitterness.

Fresh orange wedges and kiwi-like, papaya-esque tropical fruit notes really develop as the beer warms.

Hoppy for sure--but tastes like a wet-hopped beer--very "fresh" hopiness, very herbal/floral, and pretty intense, without being crushingly bitter. So much hop FLAVOR, which can be tough to properly feature.

Worth the wait--been looking forward to trying this legendary beer for a good long while. Lives up to the hype--but a touch less drying bitterness would make it just about a 9 on a 10-point scale (or 4.5 of 5) for me; it just sucks the moisture from the inside of my mouth about as completely as "Mr. Thirsty" does at the dentist's office.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

poured from bottle into a slightly chilled pint glass.

appearance: nice pale straw-amber color with some hazing.

smells of fresh pine, citrus and slight malt.

tastes of hops and nice balanced malts. not as much hops as smell would dictate. very smooth with just enough a hop-bite. this pairs perfectly with a spicy pineapple habenero salsa.

mouthfeel is about right very easy to drink.

very drinkable and very balanced smooth ipa!!!

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%

Full disclosure: This is my favorite beer. Unfortunately this bottle is 2 months old which isn't too bad but I've found this one to be much better as fresh as possible. On-tap at the Eccentric Cafe is close to a religious experience.

A - Aggressive pour produces a frothy, off-white head of about one inch with pretty good retention. Some sticky lacing down the glass. Light burnt orange color and decent clarity.

S - Incredibly floral. Some citrus and sweet biscuity malt. I love the smell of this beer.

T - More floral and citrusy hops. The malt profile is light and never really stands out though I would say this beer is well-balanced.

M - Medium to full-bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very high. I love IPAs and a nice one like this that is packed with Centennial hops is right up my alley. Alcohol is 7% but that wouldn't (and hasn't) deterred me from drinking a sixer.

Unfortunately this one has not arrived in Chicago yet but having consumed tons of this stuff over the past few years I can recommend this to basically anyone who isn't totally turned off by hops. One of the best IPAs made period.

Received in a sampler set and what a surprise. Very hazy color but beautifully so. Nice hop flavor without overpowering the balance, eg Hop Devil is very nicely balanced for a hoppy beer with a bit stronger flavors (one of my favorites), this is less pronounced, so it's even more roundly drinkable without losing its personality. This and Hop Devil are now my go-to IPAs, depending upon if I want a bit more or less kick. If person doesn't really like this as a craft beer, I'm not sure what that person would look for in a craft beer! Nicely brewed!!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

The first thing I noticed upon pouring was the pungent and sharp leafy aroma from the hops. As it sat the resin broke up a bit, making room for a sweeter grapefruit scent. While there may be some malt smell as well, I didn't really pick it up, instead the beer was drowning in intense hoppiness.

In the glass the beer takes on a golden color with a touch of reddish hue, and supports a thin white head. Being bottle conditioned, I may have poured a bit of sediment into the glass, and ended up with a bit of haziness in my otherwise clear beer.

Grapefruit assaults the tongue on the first sip, then makes way for a substantial bitterness at the back of the mouth. There's a light bread aftertaste on the sides of the tongue that lingers along with the hop bitterness for a few minutes. The beer is most assuredly balanced towards the hoppy and bitter side, which is certainly not unwelcome. It does however lack some of the intensity of Hopslam, which assaults the palate thoroughly with its hoppy nature. That isn't to say that it's lacking in flavor, but rather that it is more of an every day beer.

It certainly doesn't lack for carbonation, actually having a somewhat light body with constant tiny bubbles. The hop resins leave a stickiness in the mouth as well, quickly coating the tongue. The beer goes down easily though, with just a touch of warmth on the tongue and in the chest.

There really isn't much left to say, I love this beer. It's flavorful but not overwhelming, and has a great blend of hop flavors and aroma. The only criticism I can come up with is that there's the slightest touch of either metallic or phenolic taste, barely enough to notice. While sometimes this can be a welcome addition to the mix of flavors, in this case I didn't feel that it added anything. Still, this was a very minor issue for me, and for a standard IPA this is one of the best I've had. I imagine this beer is even better fresh, I don't know how old it is, but I know that it's at least from January. All things considered, it has held up rather well.

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Here is my re-view... I am keeping my original review at the bottom, but I have realized that the first bottle I ever had of this was very old and it is not fair to the brewer to leave that review without an amendment.

Appearance: copper color, large head, slightly hazy

Smell: Citrusy hops, slight pine, little bit of sweet crystal malt

Taste: this is what I was looking for so many months ago... This is delicious. A little bitter for my taste and I wish there was a little more hop flavor, but definitely solid

Mouthfeel: Nice fairly dry with medium carbonation. Very easy to drink. Possibly the best part about this beer

Overall: A nice mild IPA. Very refreshing and while not over the top with hops, a very good representation of the style

After a few months away from beer due to a nationwide tour, I was really looking forward to trying a nice hoppy IPA.

Appearance- Good amber color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of fizz. Slightly hazy. Assuming the haze comes from the vast amount of hops.

Smell- upon opening the bottle I got a pretty good whiff of floral citrusy hops without even meaning to. When poured, it smelled completely delicious. Centennial hops for sure! I am really looking forward to this!

Taste- What a disappointment! Blue balls at it's finest! The initial taste was citrus and floral just like the smell, but that initial bitterness faded very quickly to an unpleasant cloying sweetness. I do not know if this was what was intended by the brewer... Definitely not what I expected.

Mouthfeel- not dry like I expect my IPAs to be. The thickness combined with the sweetness are not what I expected at all.

Drinkability- I gave away half of a 6 pack because I just could not get into this one. The three that I kept I drank on different nights because I could not have more than one a night.

Should I try a fresher bottle or hunt out a place that has it on draught maybe? It was not skunked, had no freshness date so I have no way of knowing if the hop flavor just faded or what was going on, but there was no hint of hops flavor after the very initial touch of the beer on my tongue. Overall, this was a huge disappointment for me. Maybe if I find it on draught and I know it is fresh I would give it another review.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Golden hue. The first half of this beer poured very clear with almost perfect transperancy, while the second half poured with lots of clouding. This beer was shipped in very cold weather and I hope it didn't ruin the beer. The head is nearly non-existent on an aggressive pour and this is very disappointing to me. I can agitate a very small amount of inconsistent sized bubbles which quickly disappear. I'm getting carbonation bubbles throughout the session so the beer is not flat. The head just leaves something to be desired.

Smell: Teasing at what some DIPA's can do. It's floral and has a bit of non-specific citric zest to it. Pineapple but not as much grapefruit as some of the other similarly hopped beers. Probably the best IPA smell I've experienced. I can tell this is a special beer. Just a bit of sweetness from the malts. They are definitely playing second fiddle, as to be expected. On the second half of the beer (I pour in 2 halves) the beer turned noticeably sweet with a honey or caramel flavor. This started to approach the "balanced" point, with the finish still remaining bitter.

Taste: Right in the front there is a bit of sweetness to this beer that is nice. Let it sit and you get the hop notes from above, floral, citric zest, and pineapple. On the end there is definitely a bitterness but not overwhelming or aggressive. I wouldn't call it balanced, the hops are dominating for sure. Being a DIPA fan and tasting how good this is, I just wish it had bit more. Still this beer is well made, delicious and it doesn't kick you in the face with hops and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Refreshing, effervesant. Appropriately shy of medium bodied with just enough stickiness to know it has substance.

Drinkability: At 7% I wouldn't exactly say this is full on session material, but I wish I had these local to put 2 or 3 back on a weeknight. I believe the shipping may have caused some issues. It sure seemed like the beer "settled" like a bottle conditioned beer, although there is no mention on the bottle of this. The next time I'm in the mid-west I'll make a point of grabbing another bottle from a fresh source.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

Bell's distribution where I live is really spotty, even for something as ubiquitous as Two Hearted, so when I saw a six at my local bottle shop, I snapped it up eager to see what all the fuss was about.

Served from a bottle into a pint glass. Per the label, it was bottled 1-28-13.

A: More golden than orange. 1-finger, fast fading head. Some lacing, but not much.

S: A bit of piney resin straight from the bottle, but once in the glass, nothing, nada, zilch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I poured a beer with so little nose.

T: Quite a bit maltier than I expected. Smooth with little hop character. What hops there were left a slightly bitter aftertaste that faded quickly.

M: Probably the best aspect of this beer IMO. Smooth, somewhat creamy/silky with just enough of an astringent finish to wake up the tongue.

O: I know this is the quintessential go-to beer for a lot of BAs here, but I just don't get it. I think part of it is that it's classified as an IPA, but I found it much too timid to earn that title. If it were labeled as an APA, I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher. I can't say this isn't a "good" beer and very well made, but it didn't really impress. It did drink smoothly and if the ABV were quite a bit lower, it would make a nice session beer, but it really didn't live up to my expectations for an IPA.

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There is plenty of foam when poured from a 12oz. bottle (2 - finger head). It is a nice clear yellow / gold color. It remains quite effervescent and continues to lace after the head fades out.

Very strong fruity floral hop scents and tartness. There is a slight tart aroma as well.

There is an immediate hop bitterness that bursts out at first. Soon after the initial bite, a smooth and sweet yeasty taste fades in. This is a rich malty and fruity flavor that doesn't stick around for long as there is another phase of hop tartness and a very full floral rush, followed by a dry finish.

This beer has a low-medium body that has a medium dryness on the tongue.

This is a great, and I mean great, IPA. I didn't believe the hype about this beer as it is one of the top rated IPAs around. I grew up in Michigan and never had any of Bell's beers when I lived there (very sad now) but am glad to have tasted a few on my trip to visit family. I would definitely buy this (and even order online and have it shipped) as I think this is what an IPA should taste like. Its not crazy bitter (IBU) or overwhelmingly floral-hoppy, but a great all around full flavored and well balanced IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: light orange with fluffy white head that laced the glass throughout the session

S: Nice citrus and fruit with some pine

T: refreshing hop balance, citrus and slight bitter after taste

M: Good level of carbonation that persisted

O: a beyond solid IPA and highly sessionable and regular in my fridge rotation

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a hazy copper color with a very tall head that has great retention and leaves behind plenty of lacing.

Smell is very strong of grapefruit and pine, an explosion of hops in the foreground with sweet caramel malt in the background.

Taste is sweet and biscuity, balanced with plenty of dry floral hops which all comes together for a bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp, even a bit soft and creamy.

Overall, an excellent IPA that is on the medium side in terms of hop intensity, always a welcome addition to the fridge.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

This is a beautiful looking beer. It pours pale amber with just a touch of cloudiness and a medium-thick but very dense head. The lacing on this beer is something impressive – it practically leaves a sheet of foam all around the glass on the way down. Light estery aromas rise off the beer – honey and cherry are heaviest with a spice sting in the back ground.

The spicy hop and bright effervescence hit hard and heavy at the front, then gives way to honey and cherry sweetness with a touch of vanilla. The sweetness fades as the hops come back, this time piney, and linger on the palate as long as I would let them. I paired this with some strongly spicy jambalaya, and it held it’s own. It’s quite a strongly hopped beer, but has a terrific hop/malt balance. Got this on a keep the glass special, and I’m happy to keep a memory of this great IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours a clear, light golden color with a nice four-finger head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: The smell is of spicy hops, not too heavy but apparent and the focus. The beer has a light grapey scent too along with some bread characteristics. It smells like an IPA but isn't in your face like some.

T: Taste is citrusy and winey, and a bit spicy like pepper. The alcohol is present in the mix but not strong, the hop bitterness comes into play late and lingers on the tongue. A good mild balance of all the flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is light, a tad oily but not heavy. Lots of carbonation, which gives a nice feel. The carbonation is heavier than other IPAs but gives a nice contrast to the smooth flavors.

D: Drinkability is good. I could drink a few of these, for the style of beer and the alcohol content the mix is nice and easy to drink.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - amber with a slightly orange hue, white fine head and lasting lace. I received two bottles in two different trades, and the first was quite cloudy and had a sediment. I will score off the second bottle which looked and tasted better, but wonder if there is a some variation in package quality. The batch finder on Bell's website seems to be either not working or choking on these batch numbers.

S - citrus hops with some fruit in the background, but definitely hops are up front

T - strong hop flavor and distinctively bitter finish made to seem all the more assertive by the very dry finish. The malt sort of disappears at the end leaving a lingering bitterness to ride it out alone

M - moderate body, bitterness is sharp and tongue-coating which has a bit of an astringent quality

O - decent hop-forward American IPA

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

A-The beer poured a hazy dark golden color. The thick, pillow-like head that capped the beer was an off white and lasted for almost the enitre duration of the drinking session.

S-For a supposed IPA I would have expected more hops in the aroma. My bottle might have been dated but it still smelled pretty good. There was a faint fruitiness (like marmalade or jelly) that was mixed with a more pronounced citrus/pine-like aroma. This ended with a hint of herbs or grassiness.

T-Initially, there was some fruit flavor and sweetness that transitioned into a more malty flavor but this changed over to the bitterness from the hops. While the IBU's in the beer weren't over the top, they did seem to balance the beer out well. There was a slight astringent flavor left after you swallowed along with a grassy herbal flavor from the hops.

M-My bottle had a low carbonation level and a light to medium body.

D-This was a good, balanced beer that lived up to some of the hype that has been put out about it. It is very drinkable due to it's lower body and low level of carbonation.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

A-- a sort of golden with hues of orange and amber clouds swirling(if you look for it)

S-- smells like a 'garden' full of hops and flowers. also a grassy smell on tip of nose

T-- beautifuly arousing to the tounge. split at 60/40 percent favoring the bitter side but is quite balanced and lingers. actually tastes better after every sip. alcohol is hiding very good behind the hops.

M-- very smooth and easy going. could almost chug this one if it didnt cost so much

D-- very easy and enjoyable beer to drink but also sneaks up on you as the alcohol is well hidden inside the hops

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Golden straw with small white head dissipates quickly.
S: Citrus, floral hops.
T: Huge hoppy flavor, with balanced bitterness. Pine cones, lemon.
M: Very refreshing, not too hoppy though. Very enjoyable. Light to medium sized body.
D: Awesome. Could have a couple easily. Great IPA

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.