Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,332 | Hads: 13,224
4.67/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer! It is the right mix of affordability, accessibility, and flavor! If you are looking to enter the world of craft beer tasting, Two Hearted is the perfect introduction!

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light golden brown appearance, aroma of hops and grapefruit hints. Taste of hops, it is malty and a litter bitter. I am not a fan of IPAs but overall this is a great beer.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

I have to be honest, I've been skeptical of Bell's. They're still fairly new to the Twin Cities, and I've felt as though they're just another passing beer fad.

Well, they've just earned another Minnesota beer fan.

I love everything about this beer, right down to the six-pack packaging. The natural, washed-out looking greens and the northwoodsy fish... I have a very big soft spot for lakes and pines, and this beer hits home right off the bat. Pop the top off the bottle, and you're immediately hit with this intense, fruity/floral hoppy blast. This beer smells amazing. It pours a bright and opaque golden orange, with a thin bubbly head. Upon the first sip, your mouth is met with an intense but pleasant hop burn. I've had some IPAs that hurt to drink, but this one is definitely much more friendly. As the hops disappear, they are replaced by a sweet grapefruit flavor, just about the most perfect fruity flavor in a beer that's not put there on purpose. The finish is thick and rich, with a sweet and spicy malt finish. You do this over and over and before you know it, your beer is gone and you are sad, because this one of the best-tasting beers that I (and apparently a lot of other people!) have ever had. Good thing there's five more in the pack...

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

got a few of these through a trade from another internet discussion board.

A - Poured it from a bottle into a pint galss. It was cloudy amber color. There was a very thick head and plenty of lacing.

S - Lots of citrus smell and very sweet also. Almost smelled like a hoppy pine car air freshener if that makes sense.

T - Same as the smell. Citrusy hops and sweet malt taste. Great aftertaste.

M - Nicely carbonated. Pretty dry.

D - I was sad to drink my last one because it will be a long time before I get any more. I wish I could drink this every day. I guess with my local selection I really can't complain though.

Overall a solid beer.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured a hazy orange-gold with a golden-white head of decent size and density.

S: Very fragrant hops with a slight malt underbelly.

T: Hoppy but not very complex. Slight alcohol flavor coming through.

M: A little weak tasting; not very full. Carbonation is a good level.

D: Going down nice and smooth, and the buzz is hitting me pretty good. I've seen this on tap at a couple of local places and will be looking forward to having this with meals in the future.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a light golden color with a small fluffy white head consisting of the tiny bubbles produced by bottle conditioning. It smells wonderful, tangerine and citrus notes dominate. Unlike many things in life this beer tastes as good as it smells. Those tangerine, fruity notes being giving off by the hops hit you up front with a mild malt sweetness present in the middle to the end. It wasn't very bitter for an IPA but the aroma hops were very evident. This beer contains a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. This beer hides its 7.0% abv very well and is dangerously drinkable. This beer is unlike any other IPA I have personally have had before because it seems to focus on aroma hops and really backs off on the bittering. Its a great beer and worth a try.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

this review is for the bottled version, though the tap version is even better. pours a bright amber with a mouth-watering half inch head. grapefruit notes jump out from the glass. the taste is untouchable according to this amateur beer taster - crisp hops balanced by a near perfect malt framework. it can be a *tad* over carbonated, but its uncommon. i could drink two hearted all night, and often do.

its my favorite ipa. not without imperfections, of course, but it is a fantastic beer.

Grade from the group = B+.

"Nice fishing IPA - too much of a boy beer."

First, the beer pours clear yellowish with a brown tint in color with about 1 finger of head.

Once the beer is poured, the fumes exhibited a hoppy bitterness and sweet smell with a slight pine smell like an x-mas tree. While someone else stated, "the smell jumps on you like an Haitian at a Union soccer game."

The beer had little to no carbonation but had a complex, sharp taste to it. As far as drinking is concerned, the beer had a smooth but not too bitter taste and a strong after taste.

Many felt the beer is more of a casual session beer like the art depicts one may grab a few of these for a day of fishing.

Finally, the beer had a smooth yet slightly bitter taste to it with a fruity after taste and long hop finish.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to hudsonphotog for sharing this beer.

Pours a cloudy reddish orange color with a big white head. On the nose the aroma is of pine, grapefruit, sweet malt and fruity. Taste is more pine, grapefruit flavor, citrus, hints of orange peels, malt backbone bringing in some balance, and a little spiciness. The mouthfeel is very smooth.
Overall a great american styled IPA from Bell's Brewery.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a pale amber brew with a decent head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is dominated by hops--piney and citrus with some fruit in the background.

Hop flavor upfront; slightly floral with a lot of citrus. This is followed by a bready flavor from the malt and finishes dry. Has a light body and a crisp mouthfeel throughout.

Very easy to drink for a 7% beer due to the exceptional mouthfeel. Enough hops to quench any hophead's cravings.

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Had this on tap at The Winking Lizard in Cleveland last week. I can't find it in New York, so I was highly anticipating this well-hyped beer.

A - Pours a nice copper orange with decent head. Nothing exceptional, but surely inviting.

S - Strong fruit aroma, but I couldn't help but notice a bit of staleness in the smell.

T - Very drinkable beer. Good balance between hop bitterness and maltiness. I was looking for a bit more of a punch in the face, but sadly, I did not get it.

M - Oddly light. I felt it was missing a bit of the complexity that typically accompanies beers of its status. Carbonation was standard for style.

O - It's a good beer, for sure. World-class? Meh. I can rattle off a number of higher quality American IPAs (IMO), but I'm glad I got a chance to check out this Bell's classic. Don't turn it down if you see it.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

A: thick foam, tons of micro bubbles, nice amount of lacing... nice hazy copper-orange hue; has all the looks of a delicious IPA

S: definite floral aroma with some honey; a hoppy smell that is typical for an IPA

T: excellent citrus, hoppy flavor hits at first; was looking for more after the initial hit of hops but didn't find much... regardless, a very nice balance of hops in this one

M: very smooth, well carbonated as it goes down

O: this was my first Bell's beer and I was pretty impressed; very drinkable and not to overbearing, yet satisfying enough for your average hop-head

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

This is a great brew! I have had it multiple times and decided to finally review it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a dogfish head snifter.

Pours pretty much the color of apple juice with a solid two fingers of head. Excellent lacing on the glass.

Smell-Hops! Very floral with a hint of grapefruit.

Taste- Not surprisingly HOPS! this is a class act IPA. Has a solid malt backbone.

Mouthfeel-hop oils and a nice carbonation

Drinkability-great beer to sit and drink a few 7% is there but manageable and the taste is sooo goood

I would be a happy man if my fridge was filled with this and some 90 min for the rest of my life. A solid, solid brew.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

From a six pack that a friend and co-worker picked up from me as a gift.

Appearance- Pours a nice light orange color that is topped off with a white fluffy head on top. Not a bad looking beer, not at all.

Smell- Smells of citrus and fresh hops. Rivals many an IPA for pure citric hoppiness. Very nice.

Taste- Wow, kind of a bring down from the smell and the appearance. The hops and citrus are there in full force but there is also a biscuitty kind of buttery aftertaste. It doesn't seem all that balanced. A full on hop assault followed by what seems like a kind of half-assed butteriness.

Mouthfeel- Citric burn and hop oil along with the tingliness of the carbonation. Nothing special but not bad either.

Drinkability- I'm not as in love with the beer as a lot of people seem to be. I've also had it on tap and liked it a bit more but I don't have notes on it so these are my bottle notes instead. I probably wouldn't drink more than one or two on preference but those who like it would obviously have more.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Kalamazoo has been my second "home town" for 10 years...I've had the pleasure of drinking a lot of great Bell's beers over time, many of which right at their famed "Eccentric Cafe" in downtown Kalamazoo. Finally I'm properly reviewing their much-famed "Two Hearted" IPA. I'll be honest- this has been one of my "go-to IPAs" for years, so this will probably get a favorable score!

A: Pouring a half-finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly. Lacing is better than average, with unremarkable retention. The beer itself is a lovely, opaque orange/amber with carbonation bubbles faintly visible.

S: In a word: KILLER. Smells like an IPA should smell...grassy, pine, floral hoppiness with a caramel candy undertone.

T: Loads of pine, citrus rind, and a touch of that caramel malt to wrap up each sip. This is definitely the easiest drinking 7.0 ABV that I'm aware of. A superbly balanced American IPA flavor.

M: Dry, crisp mouthfeel with light carbonation- a text book example of how an IPA should feel while drinking...effortless!

O: Man, I'm really going to be hurting if I ever leave Kalamazoo...I have tried IPA after IPA and I always come back to Bell's Two Hearted, like a lost cat always finds their way home. It's definitely one of my Top 5 IPAs and an all-around reliable partner in crime. EVERY beer connoisseur should check this off their list at LEAST once!

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright clear orange with a fluffy white head which lasts for quite a bit. Smell is citrus, with plenty of floral/vegetal complements - makes me think that the hops used were very fresh. Taste veers more towards the piney bitter end. Dry finish and moderate carbonation make this an easy drinker that hides its ABV well. Overall, a classic IPA - long live Bell's Two Hearted!

3.51/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Medium Coloring. Smells sweet like citrus. Once you drink it, it feels very light on your tongue. You can tastes the hops in this beer- very hoppy. Once you swallow this beer, your mouth will tingle and feel refreshed. Very good beer and popular in the college community

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I would have to say this is one of the nest beers available. Great ale. Not quite and ipa. I would say an intro to ipa. A fantastic flavor and balance.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Visual: Nice golden honey color.
Smell: Strong aroma including malt and citrus. Slight smell of pine.
Taste: Taste of dough and citrus. Not as bubbly as I was expecting. Taste a lot of caramel flavors.
Overall: Bitter ending, overall a good ale. Well balanced.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: light golden yellow/orange
Smell: hoppy, wheat, grains
Taste: very hoppy, bitter, wheat
Overall: unpleasant, I do not care for a lot of hops and bitterness

4.43/5  rDev +4%

appearance: Pours a nice gold color with a 1.5" fluffy head that drop but sticks around for a while and leaves a nice lacing. I did expect it to be a bit darker given its an IPA.

smell: Hops, hops, and hops. I kinda wish other aroma's jumped out at me here.

taste and mouthfeel: Delicious. Starts out with a bit of sweetness then you're hit with hops and citrus flavors. Medium-high carbonation makes a nice crisp finish with lingering cirtusey after taste. Probably just getting into the medium bodied catagory.

notes: My first IPA was Samuel Smiths and I thought I liked it. Since then I've tried others but the blend of flavors in this just really won me over. I love it and so far its my first choice in IPAs.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Batch 7196, 2005

Pours bright orange with a huge rocky head and loads of carbonation. Visually it reminds me of Saison Dupont, but that is where the comparisons stop. The nose is absolutely gorgeous. It smells of grapefruit and spice with a slight nod towards marijauna and pine. It smells like fresh hops, perfect for an IPA. The palate is slightly more balanced. The initial palate is some sweet pale and caramel malts which are quickly washed away by a tidal wave of hops. Again, citrus and pine flavor are predominant with a deep, powerful bitterness. The mouthfeel is is crisp and refreshing due to the high carbonation and light malts.

This beer is fantastic. It is my personal benchmark for what an IPA should taste like. My only complaint is that it is significantly better when fresh which takes out any chance of aging this beer. Overall this beer is outstanding.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

A: Pours a hazy amber/orange color, small white head, small amounts of lacing

S: Aroma is of floral hops and a bit citrusy, perhaps a hint of alcohol

T: Exceptional. The first taste is of citrus fruits (hint of grapefruit and orange), mild yet recognizable, perfectly balanced with the hops that follow. The beer is balanced by the hoppy aftertaste, and is not overpowering.

M: Smooth, med-low carbonation

D: Easily one of the most drinkable IPAs I've had. Would definitely be able to have more than one in a sitting.

This IPA jumped high up my list and is a definite buy for anyone, not just IPA fans. I plan on getting a case soon.

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%

I was always put off this beer by the freaky looking fish on the label. However, having recieved some as a gift, I thought I would give it a try. It is drinkable, with a strong grapefruit tone and a nice fullness to it. But I was no super impressed, to me it lacked some of the complexity and over tones of other IPAs. If I try it again I'll give an update as I am suprised that this well liked beer from a well respected brewery isn't doin' it for me.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is the go-to beer for my wife and I. Every grocery store carries it in our area, and when in doubt, we can pick this up and not be disappointed. It smell amazing, tastes amazing, and provides the perfect balance for us -- That's not to say that it is "well balanced". This is most definitely a hoppy pale ale, but one of the best, for sure.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.