Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,249 | Hads: 12,835
4.57/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very well-balanced for the style. This is one of my go-to beers when I can't decide or don't feel like trying something new. It's probably not going to win over the real hopoholics, but still a very nice smooth beer. I feel like it may be closer to an APA vs. an IPA, but we're splitting hairs there. The 7% is well-hidden, which can sneak up on you as these can go down quickly. (383 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into pint glass

S- Huge hop presence, fruity, someone below me said grapefruit and I'm going to roll with that

A- Light orange copper, head has large bubbles, is dissipating quickly, not much lacing

T- Grassy, tangy, I'm really starting to think they threw grapefruit in here

M- Good carbonation, dry finish, sweet and tangy, hoppy

O- Not a fan of IPA's but I could have 1 or 2 more of these. Better than most IPA's I've had that just overload the beer with hops. This offers something different and more pleasant. (526 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

To date, one of the most fantastic examples of American IPA I've had the pleasure to enjoy. Such character in this beer... The alcohol is brilliantly masked by the piney hops while the malt plays the support role fantastically, careful not to overwhelm.

A: Damn near what my perception of what an American IPA should be. Pale, yet vibrant. Hues of amber blended nicely against the original English colour. Slightly cloudy.
4.25-would bang.

S: "Oh what a delicate floral bouquet...Nope, wait a tick, piney yum yum." The use of American hops is clearly evident among the first whiff. My guess... Centennial Hops? Fuck if I know, I'm no pro. The balance here is fantastic, but perhaps, if my own criticisms would be permitted, could use a tad more hop character. However, the simplicity does not work against it.

T: Ya ever walk into an English pub and instantly crave a pint of English "real ale". This is what I imagine the american version of that to be. The idea of California Common shakes your tongues' hand (like your fucking tongue has a goddam hand), but then pulls the ole switcharoo and is like "wait, I'm an IPA". Malty sweetness again, plays prop to the bitterness of the hops. This beer tastes almost exactly as it smells.

M: There's that distinctive grindy feeling Coca Cola leaves on your teeth after you drink it; we must find a word for it. Subtle hints of it are present here, but only barely. The "front nine" presents itself smoothly, with little, but an appropriate level of carbonation, allowing you to truly taste this brew. The "back nine" leaves a dry finish, much akin to red wine.

O: Maybe, possibly think about getting around to trying this beer. No, wait, do it. This one's a must. (1,715 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bright nose, bright taste with piney/sharp hop bitterness, mildly balanced with a minimum amount of maltiness. Very delicious. Drinks very clean and smoothly, no heat. I think this is a fantastic beer, much better than HopSlam for my money. Wish we could get it consistently here in CA! (286 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Bold hop notes meet the nose. Smooth drinking and light lacing on the glass. Clean, crisp grapefruit flavors with a slight bitterness in the finish. The golden amber color is a tribute to the sunsets of the Midwest. One of my favorite beers of all time. (253 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- a somewhat cloudy beer. Just a nice golden-orange hue.

S- not a great smell, little bit of dankness and floral hops.

T- the taste is outstanding. Piney and floral hops for a big bitter punch, but really clears the palate afterwards. A little sweet malt thrown in. Not a harsh bitterness, just right.

M- good carbonation, not heavy and not light. Lacing sticks around forever. Could be a session beer and it could be an easy drinker because of the 7%. Very well rounded.

O- one of the best IPAs I have ever tasted. Definitely lives up to the hype. Would recommend. (570 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Disclaimer: I'll probably get stoned for writing this review as it wasn't 100% favorable, but I'm just reporting what I drank. I understand that an IPA should be consumed fresh and that the bottle I had was old. Almost a year old. But I'll update the review once I get a fresh bottle/draft sometime.

Serving- Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper top that swirled and tornadoed down into the bottom of the glass where it blended lazily with a light gold. Visible floating hop residue floating within. Took about 5 minutes to equalize and stabilize into one color. The separation had me concerned from the beginning as to the freshness of the beer. The beer is well carbonated. There is white lace all over the glass.

Nose- Subdued, earthy hops and malt. Nothing jumped out here or was very exciting. Again, this made me wonder how fresh it was and, to my dismay, I saw I had a bottle that was 9 months old! There were possibly notes of cider which, especially as a home brewer, got me concerned. The finish on the aroma was of warm apples.

Taste- Yeah, very earthy, herbal bitterness with malt. Some toasty bread in there and was pretty yeasty. At this point I'm bummed I got an old one. Everyone swears by this.

Overall- I think I did myself a great injustice by not checking the date on the bottle in the store. Normally with all the bombers I buy this is something I check. However, this one I purchased as a single 12 oz and it, obviously, had been sitting on the shelf a while. I believe this is a bottle conditioned beer as it had the hop residue and hazy appearance. I normally love this in a beer but this is an old IPA. No glory here. Overall it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't living up to its potential and certainly drank/smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. I was disappointed. If this is what it really tastes like than I would not willingly seek this out again. If I get a fresh one sometime I'll be sure to update my review to reflect my findings. (1,987 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic beer that I drink pretty regularly. One of my favorite go to IPAs. Pours a nice color and a decent head. The smell is very good, zesty citrus which is one of my favorites. Taste is very much full of those same notes as well. Always a good beer to drink (272 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

My first chance to sample this highly rated brew since Bell's has just begun to be distributed in our area.
The beer poured a light copper to dark amber hue with an adequate amount of head. The lacework stayed on the glass the entire pint.
Aroma of piney/citrusy hops (chinook and cascades?) with a hint of sweetness in the background. Somewhat fruity as well.
Hops overwhelm the malt but there is a finish of sweetness followed by a lingering bitterness. Very biting mouthfeel due top the carbonation level and the IBU's involved.
Overall, it a good beer but too much pine for my tastes. (593 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -46.6%

Bell's makes some great Stouts. Their Oatmeal Stout is amazing, but I haven't been too impressed with their other offerings. I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is just another horribly over hopped American ale. I know it's an IPA and hoppiness is a characteristic of the style, but I just don't think there is enough maltiness and body in this brew to support all the hops. All I can taste is a sickening amount of floral and citrus hops. To me it seems very unbalanced and astringent. In my opinion it certainly doesn't belong in the BA top 50. (593 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Fresh from the tap in a 25oz. happy hour glass mug.

An old friend I just tried again for the first time since the unfortunate Bell's quality control problems. Thankfully, this time it did not taste like oxidized vegetable oil.

A nice copper-orange color with a wispy white head. The smell is enormously hoppy. Loads of citrus (zest), rose petals, pine, and floral flavor with a hoppy dry finish. Nice full mouthfeel and very drinkable. (441 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

I poured this from a 12oz bottle I got from Westy's outside of Harrisburg PA. It's sort of a golden amber with a smallish head that lingered for a while. Nice lacing throughout. The smell is great with lots of pine, citrus, and a little honey. Very balanced. The taste is much like the smell lots of citrus, pine, and some clove as well. Not too bitter but not sweet at all. The mouthfeel is smooth and dry at the end. This is a very drinkable beer. The kind of AIPA that you can have many of. Definitely one of the best AIPA's I have ever had. Really perfect for the style. Very hoppy but not stringently bitter - nicely balanced. Great beer. (643 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Crystal clear, orange hued with an incredible head that lasts from the first quaff to the bottom of the glass. Residual lace lined the glass. Wonderful presentation.

I love the dry fruitiness of these aromas intermingled with citrusy hops. Very complex aromas for an american pale ale. Just begs to be sipped!

Taste is everything one would expect from the aromas and appearance. This one does not disappoint. Complex and fruity up front, followed by a battle between hops and malt. Finishes clean and dry. The perfect balance. This beer is not overly malty and cloying like many pale ales that try to balance a gargantuan hop schedule.

Light and fluffy on the tongue. Bottle conditioning is well worth it. This beer would be disapointing if force carbonated. Finishes hoppy, but not to the point of oily and bitter on the tongue.

A very enjoyable IPA. This one is on the top of my all time favorite domestic IPA's. The dry finish keeps my palate alive and awake, waiting for that next incredible quaff. (1,015 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4%

I have to start by saying that Two Hearted is one of, if not my favorite, IPAs. With biases known, on we go.

A - This may be the one place where this beer lacks. There's nothing wrong with the appearance, it's just not overly striking. It pours a translucent gold with a relatively thin, white head. Lacing is decent, but I've certainly seen better.

S - Earthy hops up front, citrus in the middle (maybe mixed with cotton candy?), a some faint alcohol in the back. The scent is pleasant and inviting, and not overly aggressive. Unlike some IPAs, the scent is akin to "hop perfume" (not that there's anything wrong with that).

T - Obviously as it should, this is where Two Hearted shines. The taste is balanced, but leaning toward a bittersweet hop bite. There's still plenty of malty sweetness to counteract with the hops, with a definite hint of cotton candy coming through in the middle. A thorough "swish" through the mouth reveals the alcohol, which is otherwise well hidden. The finish is dry, with a mildly bitter aftertaste.

M - Not thick, but also not watery, the mouthfeel is spot-on for the style. The oily-ness of the hops balances well with the thiner, more refreshing nature of the brew, for something that is nicely pleasing.

D - While the hops provide a strong kick, there's nothing about this beer that's overpowering, making for a very drinkable brew. The 7.1% alcohol is deceptive in that it's not really noticeable unless the drinker is searching for it.

Overall, Two Hearted Ale is classic standby in the style, and an absolute go-to beer for myself. The price-tag is a bit hefty, but I'm of the mind that if a beer is worth it, price isn't of matter. Although, the price would almost certainly exclude this from being an everyday drinker. Regardless, Two Hearted is highly recommended for anyone calling his/herself an IPA fan. (1,855 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in a pint glass from a bottle.

A - Cloudy orange-ish straw color, nice cream-colored suds that stick around. Plenty of lacing.

S - Worth the price of admission alone. Like a freshly opened bag of hop pellets, just not quite as intense. Little bit bready.

T - Citrus/grapefruit very prominent, some tartness, with a little bit of dough-like malt and a crisp bitter finish. The bitterness in the finish is even kinda fresh and hoppy.

M - Just a tad on the smooth side.

D - Crisp and refreshing, perfect after a long hot run or whenever else.

Bell's seems to do a lot of straightforward, easy-drinking beers. This doesn't blast you, really, it's just very fresh-hoppy and not all that bitter. Just an all-around really nice IPA. This is going to be one of my staples. (778 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this beer since the early 90s (I grew up in Grand Rapids MI) and it was my first IPA experience. My review may be biased by the fact that this beer is my reference point for the style. I'm glad it's become available here in DC.

I drank this one poured from a bottle into a tall, somewhat narrow beer mug.

Appearance: Starts with the label on the bottle, which depicts a trout over a background of flowing a flowing stream - very cool. I don't know who designs Bell's bottle labels but they deserve some sort of award (the snowy owl on the best brown ale is one of the "best" labels in beerdom). The beer pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge rocky head that dissapates slowly and leaves lacing down the glass.

Aroma is of piney, floral, citrus hops. The piney scent is fitting for a brew from Michigan.

Taste is dry with an immediate, evergreen, prickly hop presence. If you look for it you will detect doughy malts behind the hops. Definitely a beer that hopheads will like - it's on the dry side but they've piled on just enough malt.

Mouthfeel is lively, almost prickly, due to the high hop content, but with a smooth finish. I could (and have) drink these all night long but they do pack a bit of a punch, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. All in all an excellent IPA. (1,307 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I enjoyed this at The Heorot last Tuesday. This is a beer I tend to come back to more often than not. I enjoy the "back to nature" taste of this beer.

Appearance- A light caramel color, with a light, white foamy head.

Smell/Taste- I sometimes get floral overtones in both the smell and taste of this beer. This particular tasting was a little soapy (which had more to do with the glass than anything). However, it was still incredible as the flavorful beer over-powered the dish soap. Slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation, playful!

Drinkability- I enjoy this beer. It's definitely not a beverage for lite beer drinkers. I think it is an exceptional beer that should definitely be consumed...great around a campfire! (728 characters)

For me persoanlly this is the perfect IPA, There isnt one bad thing to say about it. This may just be my favorite beer of all time.

I love hops and this beer has plenty but its not overpowering, Bells has blended everything in this beer perfectly from hops to alcohol content.

If you like IPA's this is king of the hill.

*note- this is my opinion please dont get mad im not stating this like its a fact just what i think.

A- Orangeish/Red

S- Hops and citrus

T- hops and love

M- to be 7% this is lovely and easy drinking

D- again being 7% alcohol this beer is easy to drink 6 of for me no problems.

This beer isnt cheap or anything, you may pay 10$ or more a six pack but the quality is there.

I wish more people understood that you have to pay for quality with anything in life.

For instance... you guys do realize theres a reason you can get a 24 pack of keystone light for 13$ right??? the answer being the lack of quality (935 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

This is my current favorite Bell's selection and my current favorite IPA. My first taste of this beer was ruined because I drank it out of the bottle and it tasted like the cap but I have since taken to pouring it and now I love it!

A - Light orange to yellowish gold in color, slight head.

S - Hoppy, floral, sweet.

T - Hoppy to the point of being citrusy.

M - Solid, not too heavy but nowhere near too light.

D - Thoroughly drinkable, I can drink these all day, especially in hot weather. (495 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

I've been reading BA reviews for about a year now, but it's time to start contributing! Here's my first

Appearance: Poured a slightly opaque amber color with a good one inch white head. Slow to recede. Leaves strong lacing.
Smell: Very sweet! Definitely pine and orange citrus, but the fruity sweetness reminds me of ripe strawberries.
Taste: Toasted, caramel sweetness to the malt, followed by the orange and pine hop flavor. Definitely not as bold as some IPAs I've had. Aftertaste is a little off.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, lightly carbonated. Pretty smooth
Drinkability: Hmm...I wonder if this is perfectly fresh. I can't get past the strange taste that climbs into the nose as I swallow.

A decent IPA, but I wouldn't come back to it unless mine is subpar. (760 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance: Nice clear dark-ish golden color. Dense half inch head with lacing all the way down.

Smell: The first thing my friends notice about this beer is the floral aroma. Someone said the other day that it smells like flowers! The floral aroma is the best I've personally ever experienced from a beer.

Taste: Good balance between the bitterness and malt with a great example the biscuit-y flavor that I love. Doesn't get much better for me. Even the flavor of the burp is good, not harsh or burning.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth and clear, not thick, but a solid mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Great drinkability, not so strong that you have to drink it slowly, but complex enough that you want to savor it. Pretty strong ABV, as is typical with a strong IPA, but a couple of these go down great with friends and meal.

Notes: This is currently my favorite beer. Looking to find some like it that have the floral aroma and balance that this beer has. So far I haven't found any. If you are a hophead, you will love this beer and be surprised by the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!! (1,073 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

After reading the reviews for this beer I went out and bought a six pack. This beer has a nice floral smell and taste with a golden color. It was exceptionally smooth especially when poured in a glass. If you like a lighter body Ipa but still crave a nice pine/citrus finish this is a good beer to try. (302 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a tap into a Nonic Pint.

Appearance: Poured slightly lighter than most IPA's that I've tried leaning more toward amber than orange. The head was beautifully thick and stuck around for the whole pint.

Smell: The aroma was a bit muted to me. I could certainly pull out the citrus and hops but it was not as prevalent as I would have liked.

Taste: All of the usual suspects were there. I got the huge hop explosion up front followed by some citrus and sweetness but it kind of fizzled away. It was really similar to the smell. Everything was present but it was just slightly muted. This isn't to say that there was anything wrong with the taste because it was thoroughly enjoyable. I just wanted more of it. I would also like to say that the aftertaste was superb and very inviting.

Feel: The feel was everything I want from an IPA. Medium body with bitter hops and alcohol warming the tongue allowing everything to flow easily. Very well done.

Drinkability: I could drink several of these back-to-back with no palate fatigue. If this were slightly more affordable and readily available in case form in my area I could easily make this a session brew.

I think I may have been looking forward to this one too much. I was expecting just a little more flavor but I was in no way disappointed. (1,305 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

I don't know how I didn't notice this before but the head is just incredible. literally incredible. I poured this beer about 8 minutes ago and i still have a thick frothy 1 inch head. The reason i still have this head is that there are still thousands of bubble rapidly rising towards the head and adding to it. In fact, in the 2 minutes it took me to type this, the head has actually grown a few centimeters.

I think it's safe to say the greatness of this beer is directly corrolated with the craftsmanship it took to create this long lasting delcious carbonization. (569 characters)

Two Hearted ale is a gold color. The aroma is well balanced with potent smells of wheat and grape. The taste was great with caramel and malt being the main flavors that I could taste. Overall it was a light and well balanced beer. Would definitely recommend. (258 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.