Follow our progress ...

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,434 | Ratings: 13,759
4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a nice, white one inch head.

S- I detect mostly citrus, perhaps grapefruit, and some pines

T- I can taste the citrus up front and the grapefruit is more pronounced. Then the hops kick in with a bit of spiciness.

M- Good carbonation. It has a crisp finish as well.

D- Very drinkable, but not my favorite IPA. Still, the hops aren't overwhelming and the citrus upfront balances it nicely. Could easily down a few of these

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in a pint glass.
Nice fluffy head a little fuller and more sticky than your average.
Smell is of hops and some more hops...pine and grapefruit stick to your nose.
The taste is sweet hops upfront...nothing bitter until the end...grapefruit dominates with a hint of pine and a balanced malt sweetness. Typical IPA pucker hits the end and from what ive seen my bottle might be a bit older to have lost the real hop pucker but IMO this is very good and drinkable where some say its to much.
Mouthfeel is right on with crisp sweetness and delicious flavors making you want more leaving it very drinkable minus the higher ABV.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

A: Pours a yellowish orange with a huge pillowy 3 finger white head. The head dissipates slowly leaving great lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Smell is dominated by citrus hops, mango and grapefruit.

T: Starts off with hoppy bitterness and grapefruit followed by a nice balance of malts. There is also a bit of spice that is present. This is a very tasty beer, nice and refreshing.

M: Medium bodied with a nice medium carbonation. Nice and clean finish.

D: Drinkability is great! The nice hop bitterness and clean finish leave you wanting more. I can see myself drinking a quite a few of these on a warm summer day.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden amber color with about a finger worth of head that diminishes quickly. Lacing is minimal.

I got a very citric, grapefruit hop smell from this one, and the hoppiness is apparent in the taste as it has some bite to it. Late in drinking, once it has warmed up, its alcohol content becomes more apparent.

Almost surprisingly, the beer goes down easy because of the fairly light character it has.

This is a pretty standard beer of mine, fitting with a love of hops. It can be in your face and the taste lingers, so be prepared.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured with a thick almost 3 finger head that lingered for a long time. It pours a darker yellow and smells florally.
I am not a huge Hop Head so I can be very picky when it comes to the IPAs I drink. This one goes down easy. The head sticks all over the glass as I drank it.
It has that bitter hops taste but its blended so smoothly and has a great crisp after taste. Easily one of the best IPAs I have ever had.
I highly recommend this Bell's favorite.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

I agree with so many of the other reviewers of this ale that it is one of the best examples of an IPA around. It may have its equals, but there are none better among the ones I've tried. It starts out smooth, then a hoppy bitterness appears, and finally a slightly sour taste emerges, emphasis on "slight." If you tasted some that was more than that, maybe it was too old, stored wrong, etc.

3.76/5  rDev -11.7%

received a bottle via beer trade. poured from bottle into an imperial pint glass. boors a dark honey with a fluffy white head and great lacing. some pine and citrus notes in the aroma. Nice malty sweetness at first followed by a mild hop bitterness that lasts for a short period of time. As it warms the hoppy notes linger on the back of your tongue. A delicious pale/ipa

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer pours with a golden body and ticket white head. Head retention is very nice. The smell is a comforting hop blanket of the American variety. The taste is phenomenal, very smooth but also no slouch in the hops department. Mouthfeel is great and overall just a great beer.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite go to beers when I can't find something new I want to try. Bell's Two Hearted ale is a wonderful, non-imperial IPA. The reason I say that is because it seems everyone wants to go imperial these days, and most of the time, I'm drinking a few beers not just one. Nothing wrong with imperials, but they should be that special occasion beer.

Great citrus and pine flavors with a big hop punch. Fairly strong but no phenol kick. A few of these will definitely have you feeling good. Easy go to beer if you like your beers hoppy.

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

The beer is golden with an average head. The smell isn't quite attractive, almost fishy and very very faint, weakest link in this beer. However, the mouthfeel and hop balance are near perfect. There could be a little more maltiness in my opinion but I love the hop flavor in this beer which combines with the mouthfeel makes an excellent beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to find some Bell's in the South. I've heard of this beer and was eager to give it a try. It's an opaque amber-orange, with an small off white head that laces mildly. On the nose, I catch mango and pineapple, or perhaps some other tropical fruits, as well as a buttery, toasted malt character that's subtle, but balancing in it's effect. The taste follows. It's light and refreshing with some floral and tropical notes, followed by some residual piny-ness that ends in a dry, malty finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. A superbly balanced and flavorful IPA. Quite possibly the best I've had so far.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a DFH snifter.

A- Pours a cloudy golden pale color. Head is a 1/2" thick and off white in color...good lacing.

S- This one smells good! For an East coast IPA it's more citrus rather than the pine I expected. My mouth is watering.

T- Just like the smell more citrus rather than pine. Malts?? Very little and I'm OK with that. Little to no evidence of the 7%.

M- Very good...dry / crisp just what you expect out of an IPA. Could use a little more carbonation.

D- Mmm...drinkable to the point it could get you in trouble. This is one of my favorite IPA's not from the West coast.
A big Thanks to my uncle Mark for this one!

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

(Bottle into Semi-Chilled Pint Glass)

Appearance: Light Orange Hue with Full and Lasting Cream-Colored Head--Clouding a Bit Upon Pouring in the Last of the Sediment. Thick Lace.

Smell: Delicious Floral Scents of Fresh Hops (Grassy/Piney)

Taste: Great Balance Between Underlying 'Bready' Maltiness and its Predominant Earthy Hop Character.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Bodied, Quite Smooth with a Semi-Clean Finish. Perfect Carbonation.

Drinkability: Its Freshness and Smoothness Make This One to Enjoy Over and Over Again. 7% ABV Also Makes for a Cool Buzz.

Other: Very Impressed, a Must Try for any Hop-Head!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured in to a tulip glass. Light amber color, kind of light for a typical IPA. Very thick foamy white head, also unusual for an IPA. Excellent taste and mouthfeel. Very hoppy nose. Medium bitter. excellent beer. I could drink a few of these. Doesn't seem like 7.1% alcohol. Pretty high carbonation. Best beer I've tried in a while. WORLD'S GREATEST BEER

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%

This wonderful beer from humble Kalamazoo warmed my faux tulip glass with a rushing foamy head. It took about 2 minutes for the 2 hearted head to wane. It's rich slightly crepuscular singed orange color is luring me in. (as you can tell I've already fallen in love with this beer).

My nose is overwhelmed with rushes of floral and coniferous hops. Behind the tastefully put up hop wall you can smell high quality malts. Malts that you might smell in the best beers. The expensive kind.

Hints of orange, grapefruit and wildflowers dominate the tongue. Quite refreshing. Only slightly bitter. Has a nice little tingle in the aftertaste. Would probably go well with grilled fish or chicken.

I would suggest that maybe the yeast is the secret signature of this beer.

This is such a great everyday beer. It's my "session" of choice. It holds its own yet pairs well with most foods.

Two Hearted was one of my first IPAs and has been a favorite ever since. Its funny how I havent reviewed it until now.

On tap, at Crunchys Bar in East Lansing, as I type this.

A- Ruby-hazed amber color, with a thin white head which leaves a nice lacing.

S- A nice, hoppy sting on the nose, accented with a pine aroma.

T- Once again, I'm tasting hops and pine, with a splash of citrus...subtle touch of malts in the mist.

Mouthfeel- Goes right down, with no hesitation. Light-medium bodied. My favorite aspect of this beer.

Drinkability- I could easily drink a six pack in an evening. Amazing stuff.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

This is my 2nd favorite IPA, right behind Columbus Brewing Co.'s version. Basicly it's like college football Columbus, OH. is just better than Michigan!!!. My wife is opposite she says Bells then CBC. With Bells you can't go wrong. This beer is borderline Dipa, but it is much more balanced. Price is a little higher than I like but it is a nice IPA.

This bottle has been hanging around for a bit but I decided that I didn't want the great flavor to spoil so I'm drinking it now!

A - Golden copper with a thick frothy soapy head. Thin head remains throughout with some thick heady lacing that hangs around till the finish

S - Awesome! sweet pinous resin with sweet caramelized sugary malts. Some citrus notes

T - Piney resin up front with some solid sweet malty backbone and a hint of citrus in the body. Finishes with a mildly bitter resin flavor that hangs around on the back of the tongue...sooo tasty!

M - Smooth, medium body, wet but a little sticky at the same time. Feels thick towards the finish

D - What an amazing IPA! This has got to be my favorite. It is so well balanced and has everything I would want in an IPA. For the ABV it is super drinkable and so enjoyable to drink. If I could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life this might just be it!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

12-ounce bottle, served in a pint glass
Appearance: a nice, cloudy, golden color; honey-like; thin white head that dissipates almost immediately
Aroma: very nice; a bit of hops; nice citrus notes, good amount of grapefruit coming through; a few floral notes...maybe a little pine?
Taste: a great beer; good amount of hop to start, but moves through to the malt; citrus notes start to come out, especially grapefruit; and then a dry, hoppy finish
Mouthfeel: feels slick; great carbonation and it moves through fast if you're not careful!
Overall Impression: I love this beer, it's a great IPA; the hops are present throughout the experience (from smell to swallow) but are balanced by some malty sweetness and grapefruit (and other citrus flavors); it's hard to say what my favorite part is, but if you were to force my hand, I would have to say the hoppy presence (I mean c'mon, it's an IPA!)

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Drinking this old reliable on tap at World of Beers. This is one of the classic, all-time American IPA's. Pours a nice, golden color with a 1 inch foam head. Intense citrus hops dominate in this one, unbelievably strong grapefruit flavor. Smells of citrus hops as well. On tap or in the bottle, it's really good. Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Two hearted is pretty solid. It is a clear gold color. Smells hoppy and is pretty darn smooth for an IPA. It has a decent head and there was a lot of lacing in the glass. It has a slightly sour aftertaste. Sounds unpleasant but it is really good. this beer also made my mouth tingle all over.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12 oz bottle

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden straw color. Medium white head with mild lacing.

Aroma: Aroma is simply amazing from this beer. Huge hoppy nose. Sweet and resiny. Floral and citrus notes. Very slight alcohol nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Slightly sweet at start to a huge hop presence. Awesome resiny, citrusy complex hop profile. Fades quite fast with a clean finish. Medium body.

Drinkability: Top 3 on my list of IPAs, and definitely the most drinkable. Was surprised to find it was only 6% ABV, felt stronger than that. Unfortunately only got 6 oz of this beer, but looking forward to our next encounter....

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%

What can I say that hasn't been already said? This is definitely one of the best and most unique IPA's around, period!!! Nice 1" head with a smell of honey and citrus. Taste is where this beer excels. Various fruits and honey dance all around your mouth and beg for you to drink more! Mouthfeel is outstanding and it is really hard to put this one down. World Class for sure and one of my go to beers!!!

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Higly hoppy IPA.

An excellent brew. One of my favorite IPA'S. This beer on tap tastes so fresh it is like eating fresh hops whole. If you are a hop lover, Larry Bell did a nice job on the 2 hearted.

The two hearted name is derived from the two hearted river in michigans upper peninsula.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Orange with white head. This brew is a bit clearer than the other Bell's beers I have had.

Smell: Citrus - You name the fruit
Taste: Hops - Hops hops hops, yummy
Mouthfeel - Actually rather light to medium but so very refreshing
Drinkability - Given the crisp refreshing nature and the ABV, exceptional.

Explanation: awesome citrus hop, hop, hop with an ABV that allows you to session until you get yourself into trouble (and you just might!).

Description - Freakin' delicious. Perfect summertime quencher.

The best that I have tried so far from Bell's.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.