Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,280 | Hads: 12,972
4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled 10/19/11

A - Pours a golden amber with a fluffy white head.

S - Very citrusy, orange and grapefruit, with a background scent of pine and malts.

T - Citrus zing with each sip orange zest, then some sweet malts finish to dry hops.

M - Smooth, slightly drying with a nice hop oil coating.

O - Such an easy drinker, a delicious beer that is always in my fridge. (370 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

So my friends and I had a 16 beer bracket of locally found beers. They had to come in 6 packs and be available at the start of the bracket.

Kalamazoo.

For me this won with a combination of

A - Top shelf. Golden color and nice bit of head. The lacing looked wondrous.

S - okay. a little smell of hop, but not overwhelming

T - Smoooth. Taste the hop and it chills out in your mouth.

M - Dry and crisp

D - I would like to say I could drink it all day, but totally not able to do it. Still its wonderful on a warm day.

Grab yourself a pack! (546 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice honey color with a big fluffy white head. The nose is intensely flowery and yeasty. Very creamy in the mouth. The flavor is a nice biscuity yeasty malt backbone bathed in a big citrusy dose of hops. Fairly long and bitter finish. Unique flavor profile amongst IPA's. Definately satisfies the craving for a hoppy beer.
I will say that this beer can be inconsisten. For every perfect fresh bottle I have had, there has been another that lost a lot of flavor, or a cask conditioned pint that was past it's prime. I find bottles from a high turnover retailer to be most relaible. (581 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Great beer. There are plenty of other reviews, so I won't go into great length here. But two comments.

1. This beer definitely gets better as it warms towards room temperature during drinking.

2. It reminds me of a beer brewed by the Main Street Brewery in Richmond, VA called Amelia Ale. That brewery is out of business (maybe because their brewpub sold pints for $1), so it's been years since I had an Amelia. Anyone out there remember it?

Anyway, the Bell's Two Hearted Ale is delicious. Nicely done, Bell's. (515 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A - An amber color with a light cream color head of about two inches that retains nicely. A great amount of lacing. Looks like a perfect ale.

S - Vibrant floral hops and fruity flavors are very strong but they are backed up slightly by the sweet malty aroma. Definately an excellent blend of hops that is not too overpowering.

T - Slightly sweet initially but a bitter mid and smooth creamy finish. There is a very slight grainy taste present initally along with the sweetness but the hops takes control very quickly.

M - A medium bodied feel but a very smooth creamy finish. Not too bubbly, not too flat. What I would consider an excellent mouthfeel that makes you feel like your drinking a very good beer.

D - One of my favorite IPAs that I could drink over and over again. Not too overpowering but still has as much flavor as my heart desires. Bravo Bell's Brewing! (872 characters)

Best beer by Bells for sure. One of my favorite in the world. Anyone who drinks IPAs and has not had this- I feel sorry for you. Get it and drink it. I would love to try this wet hopped as well maybe they would do this once- would make it even better.

Thank you for creating this gold standard! (295 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

At first sip, this seems like a great session beer. The heads a little lacking but it leaves ok bubbly curtain lacing. Pours a nice glowing copper-gold color, very inviting. I like the obscure fish label with the almost hunter orange on it, quite rustic. It just looks like it belongs on a camping or hunting trip

Smells a little weaker than it tastes, honestly. Some citrus from the hops and a bit of orange zest is mostly what I get from the nose. Faint smell of alcohol too

Crisp, clean, refreshing and understated. An exemplary american ipa with a little bit of caramel sweetness to it, good silky slick mouthfeel too.

Overall, its a damn good beer- I can't pick out many things I dislike per se, but somehow it leaves me wanting more (besides a 2nd glass) pick one up for yourself and decide, its definitely worth a go (826 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to psukinger for the bottle acquired in a trade.

I have to admit that I sometimes judge a beer by the label. This label is not the coolest looking label. Last thing I want is for my beer to taste like trout. But I'm blown away by how good this beer is.

A: Poured into a snifter with a huge head. I think this attests to how fresh this bottle is. The color of orange rust - what a beautiful color.

S: Scents of pine and huge grapefruit. Brings me to a forest on an crisp autumn day stepping over pinecones while cutting into a grapefruit.

T: Delicious - the hope quality is apparent. Its not too strong like many IPAs can be. I'm a hope head and love bitter but this is nicely balanced and really a fantastic effort from Bells.

M: The beer is not thick and has a silky feel while rolling over the tongue

D: I feel like if I could get this on a regular basis - it would be my staple IPA. Unfortunately Bell's is not available in NY.

I think I love this beer! (974 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale pours a beautiful caramel amber colour, with some lacing and very little head. The aroma is of apples and pine, with a hint of honey.

The first sip is very sweet in a highly floral way. The hop character kicks in somewhat late in the flavour, with a deepening rich bitterness, characteristic again of pine sap. I detect some vanilla and butterscotch, and, as the hops fade in the mouth, melted butter and bergamot.

As someone with mixed feelings about aggressively-hopped beer, what I love about this brew is that it doesn't shy away from a powerfully hoppy, although nuanced fragrance and taste while allowing for other, more subtle flavours to come forward.

This IPA excels at being both smooth and easy drinking, as well as bright, clean and refreshing. An all-around winner for me. (811 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -30.2%

Golden hued with a decent head. The smell is decent with lots of citrus varieties, the hops definitely make themselves known. Carbonation is right on par.

The only problem is it tastes like I'm drinking a floral arrangement. I've heard lots of people use 'grapefruit' to define hop flavors but I've never tasted more than just hints of that until I had this beer, and my god is it pungent. There are hops all over the place, but it's just too flowery for my palate. (467 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottled on 1/18/12. This is some fresh stuff right here! Poured into a Smuttynose Big Beer tulip. Wow! Gorgeous color on this IPA. One of the best I've seen for the style. Taste is amazing. Flawless really. Hints of sweet citrus flavors such as grapefruit and candied orange. The hops don't slap your tongue silly (I usually like that) but who cares when this beer tastes so good. Really refreshing and an easy drinker even at 7%. This beer also left some gorgeous lacing. This is my first from Bell's and I know I'm going to try more from them, not to mention purchase this beer again. Like a lot of reviewers before me have stated, the Bros really missed the mark on this excellent IPA. (688 characters)

Poured from 12 oz bottle

A - Pours a golden color with a decent white head.

S - You can smell the hops a lot with this one

T - Pretty bitter even taste throughout the sip

M - Medium to light body with some carbonation

O: Great beer for the price will be revisiting again soon. (284 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Deep yellow to light orange, clear with a persistent slightly off-white head.

S- Pineapples right up front, I get a hint of orange, and maybe some other citrus. Some pine in there as well

T- Very much like the smell, dominating sweet pineapple taste, orange, with some lingering pine. There is a bitterness that I will describe as "satisfying" that lingers with the piney taste.

M- Soft carbonation, if that makes sense. It's in there, but isn't sharp. Feels smooth in the mouth. There's a comforting warmth that persists in the stomach.

O- Though I'm not typically big on any kind of IPA, I appreciate this beer and enjoy it quite a bit. The flavors develop nicely and make for a good drinking experience. (713 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden orange in color. fast fading head, not super carbonated

Smell: A bit of pine smell, but it is very vague

Taste: Very malty. The hop flavor is very prominant leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, even silky and full bodied.

Overall: I am not a huge fan of IPA's in general so I tried to be unbiased in my review. It tasted a bit less strong than some of the other IPAs I have tried so, for someone who doesn't typically like IPAs, it is not bad at all. (485 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

This is my favorite beer; I almost always order it when I go to a bar.

The appearance is very hazy with a golden orange color and a decently sized head.
It smells very hoppy with hints of citrus.
It tastes very hoppy and slightly bitter. The sweet and bitter flavors balance perfectly.
Overall, I love this beer and I highly recommend it to people that like IPA's with hop's and a high alcohol percentage. (407 characters)

So, I have had this before but after a few glasses of wine before dinner, so I want a clean palate to test it. I was a little drunk when having it, so not sure, so here comes a sober review with a clean palate.

WOW, I love this one. Very sweet aroma, sweet malts, alcohol very well hidden.

Sweet orange, sweet peach, taste. Excellent, excellent beer. Flavors are very different then a traditional IPA. Unique. You can tell it is not a West Coast IPA, and as much as I love those, this is awesome and different in it's own way.

World class IPA. (547 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Very popular beer, especially in the Michigan college community. Strong hop scent and the hops are very apparent upon drinking. High levels of carbonation leave a tingling after taste. Hops are the only way I can describe this beer as it dominates the aroma and flavor. (269 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I do not typically like IPAs, so this is not one of my favorites. It has a nice golden orange color, a slightly fishy smell, and floral and hoppy notes. (152 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance - Poured a very nice amber color with a very cloud like fluffy white head that left some very very nice lace coating my glass.

Smell - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus really make this one great smelling brew.

Taste - Strong hop kick that leaves a very nice sweet citrus taste left in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Thicker feeling beer but doesn't feel to heavy in your mouth. Very nice carbonation that helps make this heavier beer smoother and crisper than expected.

Drinkability - The hops really had a nice balance in this beer. They were strong, you did take notice of them upon the first sip, but they weren't to overpowering. It was actually a very easy to drink beer.

Comments - Thanks to chilidog and the '03 holiday beer exchange I was able to get my hands on this great representation of an IPA. One of the best IPA's out there that should be tried by all. (891 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%

I'm a hop head and will pick an IPA over anything else usually! Great smell of hops. Take a whiff and then take a snip. As the other reviews I agree very piny, floral, taste. Much more malty than I expected but still excellent.

Pairs well with BBQ, got me some gates BBQ and its a great accompanist.

Smell feel and mouth feel are all above average for this beer.

Somewhat similar to Odell's IPA but with more of a fuller feeling. I don't know what it is but it more "thick".

Awesome beer, glad I picked up a 12 pack so I have a few to share and enjoy over the weekend!

Pick this up if you can! (603 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Purchased at Shangy's in Emmaus, PA. Variety Case.

This orange colored brew was very aromatic. I keep hearing this called an IPA, and I guess that would suit it best, but I found this beer to be very very similar but more original than the typical American IPA. Most of the originality stems from the aroma, very very fruity. I loved Bell's take on the IPA.

However, I found this to be harder to drink than most IPA's. But please dont let that keep your from trying this beer, its excellent in my opinion. (511 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

I had this on draft at Philly Beer Week at the Meet the Brewers event last night. I was very impressed.

It had a nice red ale look to it with minimal head. It had a nice hoppy smell and a great taste. You can really taste the hops and a little citrus twang. It is a nice American ale, almost a red ale.

It also has about the right alcohol content, so you can enjoy a few of them. (383 characters)

My gateway drug to the wonderful world of IPA and Double IPA. I really can't say anything on here that hasn't been said before except, I honestly believe if I was restricted to one beer for the rest of my life, I could make it on this one. (239 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

This is probably my favorite American IPA. I have tried a ton of IPA's lately, and this one just blew me away. The smell, the taste, the drinkability, the balance are all phenomenal! Two Hearted Ale is an damn good beer. Scratch that, GREAT beer. It's tastes very fresh in comparison to a lot of IPA's I've tried. If you're a fan of this beer style, you should definitely check this one out. (391 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

The appearance of the beer is a wonderful orange-amber in keeping with an American IPA.

The color also prepares you for the bouquet which is sweet with an orange citrus scent with a hint of coriander.

That coriander and citrus also comes out in the taste. There is a good hops bite, but it is well balanced with the other flavors.

The mouthfeel is good. Nice level of carbonation.

This is very drinkable beer. It goes down smoothly. The balance of the bitterness of the hops with the sweet of the citrus makes it a comfortable beer to drink, unlike some IPA's which are more of an assault (as wonderful as that assault might be) on the pallet. (648 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.