Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hand on a six pack of this after hearing so much about it, was a little scared that the hype may not live up to its reputation. Well, I must say it did live up to it and I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Appearance: A nice golden brown with a thin head. Very appealing to the eye.
Smell: Lots of things going on here, picked out some floral scents but couldn't really make out the rest. A hole bunch of smells coming out of this one, very pleasant.
Taste: Very nice bite from the hops but not overpoweringly bitter. Picked out some pine and a slight citrus taste. Very smooth and drinkable. Barely get the alcohol which could easily lead me to make this a session ale until I fall on my ass when I'm done.
Mouthfeel: smooth but coats the tongue to fully let you enjoy the beautiful mix of flavors, but doesn't linger too long to beat up the palette
Overall: I was very pleased to have finally tried this much hyped brew. Great mix of flavors with a nice clean finish that makes you want to go back for me.

Very interested in trying Hopslam after this.

MattyBones, Nov 05, 2013

bpluckeb, Jul 08, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

EndoRocks, Jan 16, 2014

the_alec, Mar 12, 2014

Mugged89, Jul 08, 2014

swva, Jul 01, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Copper brew with a frothy white head of foam. Great lacing and retention.

Smell- Freshly baked bread, flowers, citrus.

Taste- Perfectly balanced deliciousness. This is a midwest IPA and it lies between west coast and east coast IPAs in taste as well as geographically. The biscuity malt taste come through in the nost, followed by some grassiness and earth and finishes with just the right amount of vegetal bitterness. Hides the 7% alcohol beautifully.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp, perfectly carbonated. The mouthfeel is simultaneously dry and resinous. Excellent.

Overall- This is probably the best IPA available in my area and it's one of my most frequent purchases. I currently pay $9 a sixer, which sometimes causes me to wonder why I bother drinking anything else. Absolutely an amazing beer, especially when factoring in the cost and availability.

spacebear09, Aug 07, 2014

Bilzor, Sep 09, 2014

JB62, Sep 06, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Pint Glass

Aroma: Big hops, obviously. Pine, grapefruit, orange, Sweet candy like smell there, too. Somewhat unique to this particular IPA is an earthy, "leaf like" smell that I can't quite put my finger on. Really intruiging..

Appearance: Cloudy light tangerine colored beer with an ample head, somewhat rocky in texture. Very good lacing with this one. You know, I can't stop smelling this one..

Taste: Excellent. Very well presented hoppy citrus with that same earthy smell present in the taste. A real mellow sweetness chops some of the inital hop blast and balances quite well. Leaves just a bit of spiciness on the palate along with a cleansing bitternes. Hey, I just burped up a flower. Cool.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with crisp carbonation intensifies the hops. Somewhat creamy feel to it blends really well with that spiciness I mentioned. Interesting..

Drinkability: A superb IPA in my opinion. The hops are obviously there, but it has some unique and quite pleasing aspects to it as well. Nice job, Bell's.

SurgeonGeneral, Nov 07, 2005

AndyGator, Oct 21, 2013

Chudem, Jul 31, 2014
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap at the Sharp Edge in East Liberty. Poured in a pint glass.

A: Interesting ... dark amber, almost orange. Head holds on forever.

S: It's a pale ale, so you get some of the things you expect, like pine and citrus. But there's also something sweet ... and that's a tease for ...

T/M: Here's where Two-Hearted Ale steps away from the norm. The pines and citrus from the hops are heavy, but they mix with a honey-sweetness you don't expect at all. Wow, it's good. And even with the sweet tones, the beer has a nice, slightly bitter finish. Very smooth.

D: Um, I'll have another, please.

unclecrappy, Nov 06, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is a sexy IPA. Golden honey notes with a soapy white head. While not exactly clear there is some hop haze in this one. A great example of how an IPA should look.

S - Wow this one reminds me a lot of it's bigger brother Hopslam. While not nearly as intense there is a definite resemblance. Sweet floral hops fly out of the glass. There is also a very generous sweet malt back bone that you can detect as the beer warms a bit. This beer just smells so fresh and inviting.

T - If the aroma isn't enough to win you over the taste will. A huge shot of bitterness right at the front which is quickly blended together with the sweet fruit flavors of the hops. By the back of the tongue you are reminded or the sweet malts you detected in the nose> A perfectly balanced beer.

D - YES please! Easily one of the best examples of a year round IPA on the market. A perfect mix between sweetness from the hops balanced with bitterness followed by a great malt character.

wedge421, Jul 02, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Served in a tulip pint glass from the bottle.

A - Nice deep copper color with a pretty thick and slightly tan head. The head dissolved slowly to a thick creamy layer leaving a little lacing behind.

S - I'm getting all sorts off stuff from the smell. At first sniff I can smell caramel and apple, and the definite scent of floral hops. After really concentrating I can actually smell the tangy scent of red wine and vinegar. The smell definitely makes my mouth water.

F - Very different from your average IPA. There's a nice hoppy kick the second it hits your tongue, but the flavor sort of drops out leaving a nice dry aftertaste where the alcohol lingers a bit. It's not as sweet as it smells by any means, but that's pretty common with IPAs in my experience. Even so, I can still get that faint hint of caramel in the middle. Very tasty.

M/D - Nice medium carbonation with a sort of oily texture. Very, very drinkable for an IPA. I could definitely pound a few of these with dinner.

All in all, this was a great beer. I remember trying this brew years ago when I first started introducing myself to beers that didn't have the word "Light" in the front and I remember hating it. My, how my taste has changed.

Mr3dPHD, May 07, 2010

Poured a 12oz ale into one of my favorite pint ale glasses.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a very thick creamy white head. Head holds up well for several minutes.

S: Nice floral scent with citrus notes as well. Good overall nose.

T: Good balance between the citrus hop bite and a malty backbone. Did I say balanced? Refreshing too. Good summer beer. I like the slightly dry aftertaste.

M: Slightly syrupy but enough carbonation to keep it keep it an easy drinker.

D: Good drinkable beer with an alcohol content that isn't overpowering. This is one that you can enjoy several without overdoing it. I like that it isn't too sweet and has a dry finish too.

Summary: Good solid IPA. One that I will buy again. Would also satisfy those that don't like really bitter ales. Easy to like!

honestdave, May 11, 2010

cerunincos, Dec 31, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Had from a bottle into a pint glass with my dearest friends up at The Cabin. A memorable beer for a memorable time...

All around I would have to say that this is a pretty killer brew. I am all about the hops and the Two Hearted ale does not disappoint. Though I have had some very good IPAs in my life, this beer definitely sets the bar for beers that are widely available. Above all I loved the inherent drinkability of this brew, I could drink it til the cows came home, and then some.

Also, is there any cooler bottle in all of beerdom? I think not.

will4240, Sep 24, 2009

blaze8, Aug 17, 2012

timbuktu1344, Jul 07, 2013

satellite86, Jan 11, 2012
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.