Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A- golden to orange with a small white head on it.

S- very strong odor of citrus piny floral hops.

T- grapefruit and strong citrus hops finish with a balanced malt start. very bitter aftertaste

M- medium bodied with good carbonation

D- very easy to drink and refreshing. one of the better IPAs ive come across recently and im glad i picked this one up. especially since two hearted is one of the bells that wont be coming to IL, at least not right away

jwinship83, Aug 09, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

This is my first review of a traded brew.
Thanks to TPD975 for a great extra!

Poured and drank out of a DT tulip glass.

Great golden color with a good amount of intial fluffy head with quickly disapated.

I was a bit disappointed with the aroma. Not bad but it did not have floral hoppy smell that I was expecting from this style.

Despite the lack of floral hops. This brew did not disappoint with the hoppy flavor. Very well balanced hoppiness. Just bitter enough. Grassy piney and delicious.

Extremely drinkable. I could drink this all night long.

My first Bell's beer. Hopefully it will not be my last. Highly reccomended as a sessionable beer for this style.

tendermorsel, Aug 08, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Utterly awesome, this is another great example of what an IPA should be. Aroma is floral, citrusy, piney and hoppy, sweet and malty I could sniff this for a long time. Pour is a nice golden copper with a creamy thick white head and nice lacing. Mouthfeel is medium thick and really smooth with a creamy finish. Flavor is an intense mixture of malts and hops, truly remarkable. The drinkability of this is good the strong hop presence doesn't become overly bitter. Fantastic! Overall this will become one of my favorites.

kinger, Aug 05, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

It's ridiculous how good this is. Upon opening, it smells like an orange tree just planted itself in the house. Cloudy amber with a nice head that remains with the beer. Taste is well balanced malts, caramel, and bitter finish. Mouthfeel is low carbonated, but smooth. I could drink these all night. Well done Larry (this is my first 2 hearted...and I grew up in Michigan...I should have tried it earlier). Seek this out.

wardough, Aug 05, 2008

Picked this up at a little beer/ liqour store in Perdido Key, FL.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep amber/ orange color with a chunky white head that would probably linger for days on end.

S: Floral, fruity hops. A little grainy malt is present as well.

T: Wow. This is the most balanced IPA that I have tried. The fruity, juicy hop taste can immediately tackle any thirst and it is supported well by a blanced malt back. I would argue, perfectly balanced.

M: Moderate mouthfeel, not slick, not chewy. Perfect, I would say.

D: I really wish that I didn't have to travel to get this beer. It has easily become one of my top five favorites. There is nothing cloying about this one. It is perfection in a bottle. The 7% ABV makes it a little less sessionable, but it was quite nice kicking back 6 of these while sitting on the balcony of the condo each night.

usmittymc, Aug 04, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Had this one on the afternoon, about 2 hours before I got married, my brother and I decided to kill some time with a beer tasting?

Pour a golden, copper-ish color. With a pillow of off white, kaki head. Good lacing.

Aroma was to be expected for an IPA. Pine and citrus dominated.

Taste was like chewing hops! LOVED IT! Had a slight grapefruit note, and with a well balanced malt flavor.
Finished dry, with some bread/yeast notes.

A great everyday IPA. I love IPA's and this is one of my favorites so far!!!! I wish we could get this in Arizona!

buffettfan, Aug 04, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

I tried this again, after having a bad pour on my first sampling (over a year ago). This one poured a clear gold with lots of white head. It smelled like lots of floral and grassy hops, with a bit of caramel malt. It tasted like floral and grassy hops with sweet peach and a bit of malt. It was oily with no carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was much better than my first sampling. It was delicious and clean and makes me want to drink more and more of it. My only suggestion is that it could have used a bit more body.

Pencible, Aug 04, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Couldn't get in a build a sixer so purchased a six pack in hopes that it was as good as the reviews.

Poured a nice deep orange amber with a monstrous semi off-white head and mild lacing.

Hop explosion at first whiff with a mild citrus fragrance.

A nice quantity of hop flavor with a tinge of bitter aftertaste rounds out this brew.

The palate feel is also quite nice, mild carbonation and smooth aftertaste makes for a refreshing brew.

Defiantly has a nice summer ale quality, can picture sitting on some coastal waters while sucking these down. At the time of writing this I have consumed the aforementioned six pack and all in all have not been disappointed.

Zadok, Aug 04, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Second time I've tried this one.

Golden copper color with a big fluffy head.

Smell is grapefruit and pineapple from the centennial hops. (PS NOT MY FAVORITE HOPS)

Taste is very bitter and unbalanced. You could say it's great for hop heads but that would only be for cent hop heads. I tend to like the IPAs that use more than one hop variety aside from the double simcoe from weyerbacher. Still a decent IPA but I doubt I'll buy a third bottle for a long time.

gonzo46and2, Aug 03, 2008

A cloudy straw-amber color with a frothy good head of white and excellent lacing. The aroma is a polite touch of lemony/grapefruit hops with a malty caramel underlayer and a hint nutmeg. The taste is quite bitter with a more floral/lemony hops and plenty of it. There's a candy malt touch but it's very light. This is a bright bitterness with fine carbonation, easy drinking if you're fond of hops. I get a slight popcorn sense under the bitterness. The feel is fairly medium body for a brew that is so sharp. This didn't strike me as being quite so good as it is on tap. I think it was a little mellower on tap, but this is definitely still very good stuff.

Durge, Aug 01, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

I'm a hop head and will pick an IPA over anything else usually! Great smell of hops. Take a whiff and then take a snip. As the other reviews I agree very piny, floral, taste. Much more malty than I expected but still excellent.

Pairs well with BBQ, got me some gates BBQ and its a great accompanist.

Smell feel and mouth feel are all above average for this beer.

Somewhat similar to Odell's IPA but with more of a fuller feeling. I don't know what it is but it more "thick".

Awesome beer, glad I picked up a 12 pack so I have a few to share and enjoy over the weekend!

Pick this up if you can!

bearcamp, Aug 01, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks for the bottle Kegatron!

Poured this batch #8444 (bottled in april) into a Deschutes Tulip glass. The pour was essentially perfect. The right amount of head for the speed of the pour. Bright white foamy head with tiny smooth bubbles rising from the bottom of the hazy orange peach color that eminates through with some haze. Lacing is semi-spider web but doesn't stick all that crazy. Nice that a thin line of head will stick around until we finish the glass.

Smells quite malty for an IPA with a spicy kind of hop presence. It doesn't make you work for the smell, as it is in your face, but I just prefer my IPAs to smell a little more floral than this one did. Still, the smell is good.

Tastes like a big malt backbone as was implied by the smell. Think Dogfish Head 90 Minute or Great Divide Hercules, it's a very similar tasting malt backbone. Definitely done in the east coast style but I do adore these IPAs almost as much as the west. Flavor fades into a little bit of floral/citrus, but doesn't hang there for long as an earthy/spicy kick dominates through to the finish.

I was in between 4.0 and 4.5 on the mouthfeel. I feel like it seems a tad thin at times for the flavor it packs, and there could be a tad more carbonation as well. It loses 0.5 for each.

Good drinkability because it's so smooth, yet I was actually a little surprised it was 7% because I thought it was a little higher by the way it went down. Overall I'd rather have Hopslam because of the endless complexities in comparison, but still a damn fine example of an American IPA bordering on Double IPA.

Bubba83, Jul 31, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this beer since the early 90s (I grew up in Grand Rapids MI) and it was my first IPA experience. My review may be biased by the fact that this beer is my reference point for the style. I'm glad it's become available here in DC.

I drank this one poured from a bottle into a tall, somewhat narrow beer mug.

Appearance: Starts with the label on the bottle, which depicts a trout over a background of flowing a flowing stream - very cool. I don't know who designs Bell's bottle labels but they deserve some sort of award (the snowy owl on the best brown ale is one of the "best" labels in beerdom). The beer pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge rocky head that dissapates slowly and leaves lacing down the glass.

Aroma is of piney, floral, citrus hops. The piney scent is fitting for a brew from Michigan.

Taste is dry with an immediate, evergreen, prickly hop presence. If you look for it you will detect doughy malts behind the hops. Definitely a beer that hopheads will like - it's on the dry side but they've piled on just enough malt.

Mouthfeel is lively, almost prickly, due to the high hop content, but with a smooth finish. I could (and have) drink these all night long but they do pack a bit of a punch, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. All in all an excellent IPA.

maltusaurelius, Jul 31, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass.

As I started to open the bottle I could already smell a big amount of hops that this beer had to offer! I was so excited to get that first taste! It poured a nice layer of head that was a little off white and as I drank it, it laced a little bit. The color was a orange bronze.

The aroma was of floral earthy hops. Taste was a massive amount of hops, just like the smell.

Mouth feel was bitter but left a crisp taste in the mouth. Very dry aftertaste as well.

Overall, this is one staple of an IPA. I really enjoy the style and Bell's has a very nice version of it. I highly recommend!

mothman, Jul 29, 2008

Wow. A massive, dense white head exploding with hop aroma fizzes away as my entire body salivates in anticipation. I can't wait and rush in before the head settles.

Unbelievable hop flavor/aroma and perfect bitterness to back it up. Hazy super dark golden color and big patchy lacing mesmerize me as I hold my pint up to the window. A couple more savory sips and it's gone already. The hoppiness overpowers the malt but who cares it is so incredibly full of yummy citrusy/floral/zesty hop flavor.

A knockout bombshell of a 5 Star beer drinking experience that leaves you in pure bliss, can't wait to get some more.

Chugmonkey, Jul 29, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

I love this beer - especially on a warm summer night. Pours beautifully with a one inch head that dissipates fairly fast but leaves nice lacing. Smells awesome - hoppy, florally, citrusy thing of beauty. Tastes as good as it smells with plenty of citrus goodness and hop bitterness. If someone made me choose only one summer beer to drink for the remainder of my life, this would be it. Yummy stuff.

bound4er, Jul 29, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz bottle purchased at Bell's. Served in a pint glass.

A: Deep golden/orange, cloudy body. Tall, foamy white head.

S: Full of sweet floral and citrusy hops.

T: Again, the taste is full of hops. Grapefruit with some slight piney notes. Seems to be balanced by some malt, as it is not overly bitter and has a slight breadiness to it. A dry finish and aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied. Very smoothe.

D: Very good, flavorful and well balanced. Goes down almost too easily. Hoping Bell's starts ditributing in New Jersey soon because I need to get some more of this.

Jerzdevil1116, Jul 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A special thanks to tdt560 for giving me this in a trade.

A - Poured a copper color with a big off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has nice citrus and pine hop scents to it

T - The citrus hop flavores come out first finishes with the pine hops

M - This is a medium bodied beer with medium carbonation to it

D - This is a very good IPA this makes me want Bells in Texas that much more now I could drink this beer all day I think with its great taste worth getting and trying

armock, Jul 27, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Definetly one of the most hyped IPA's around, I finally ran into a 6'er of Two Hearted and had to give it a try. Been a while since I did a review, but it feels good to be back in the game.

Appearance - Nice medium orange color with a plump white head that stays creamy the entire drink.

Smell - Nice hop/ citrus mix, with a hint of pine underneath.

Taste - Very bold hop character tends to overwhelm the flavor and the pine flavor tends to drown out what should be a good citrus burst.

Mouthfeel - Hops are heavy again, not bad, but you need to be careful what you pair this with. Indian or other spicey foods would be a perfect fit.

Drinkability - Not sure if this review is a bit jaded by my sky high expectations, but this was just a decent brew. Now I don't mean to say it's crappy, but in the wide world of great micro-IPA's, this just doesn't rank up there with Stone, 60 minute, and HopDevil. This is definetly a brew worth trying, but not one worth going out of your way to get.

jdg204, Jul 26, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a slightly murky orange with a prominent head. Alot of lacing along the glass. Smell is hoppy and a slight a grapefruit undertone. Taste is hoppy, slightly bitter. Taste is accented by citrus and a slight hint of pine. A bitter aftertaste. Moderate carbonation in the mouth. Very drinkable. A good offering by Bell's.

jdubjacket, Jul 24, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden orange color with a one-finger head and ample carbonation.

The aroma is comprised of a fresh, floral hop character with even a hint of mint in the nose, accompanied by a bready malt character. The aroma of hops is nearly intoxicating to this hophead.

The taste is very smooth and the breadiness of the malt peeks out from the strong, floral hop bitterness. Only a hint of citrus/grapefruit due to the hops.

Mouthfeel is comprised of a smooth hop bitterness and very mild sweetness and breadiness of the malt. Dry, but not overwhelming.

A very drinkable example of the style at only 7%. I can think of only one area where it may fall flat and that's the mouthfeel, which feels somewhat too dry and citrusy. Other than that, this beer is definitely a winner in my eyes.

Brad007, Jul 23, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale 7.0%ABV

Appearance - cloudy, honey-colored ale. Firm head with nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet, fruity aroma, with a touch of pine.

Taste - smooth texture, hints of spice, and a medley of fruit (apricot, peach) notes.

Mouthfeel - creamy without being sticky.

Drinkability - High. The bottle gets you into a good mood thinking about catching the trout on the bottle and the mood continues throughout the drinking process. Bells crafts some fine ales and Two-Hearted is no exception.

smanders, Jul 22, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

i can sum up Bells Two Hearted Ale in three words: soft. floral. smooth.

bright orange and amber, citrus herbal hop perfume caresses my nose. a very powerful oily hop presence makes itself known before taking even one sip. and then the surprise. bright crisp citrus and flowery hops fill my taste buds, but softly and with a very smooth body (creamy). the oils coat my mouth, rounding out into a bitter burst on the very center of my tongue. amazing. such a strong head, and yet such a delicate balance of hoppy IPA character - flowers, citrus, and pepper. it's like Two Hearted is trying to say to me "hey. i'm here. i'm hoppy. i'm delicious and complex, more than just a hop bomb being dropped blindly on your senses. take note of the subtle characters and flavors that make me such a delicious IPA. one sip, and i know you will understand."

and so i say to Two Hearted, i do understand. fish theme included, i would love to be out on the dad's boat, pole in hand, waiting for that adrenaline charging strike and slaking my thirst in the meantime. a great summer refresher ^_^

otakuden, Jul 21, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A: A decent golden color with some amber hints to it. Pretty consistent with other IPA's.

S: Lots of floral hops, citrus and some pine. Also has some malt hints, but nothing too distinguishable.

T: A decent mixture of citrus and pine. The pine seems a tad overwhelming, more so than I thought would occur.

M: A medium bodied beer, with a dry finish. Left pine taste on the palate.

D: I believe many who really enjoy hops, more than I do, would really appreciate the pine hop flavoring. It is too much for me, but it is a decent IPA.

IronCitySteve, Jul 21, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

This is a great IPA. In my opinion the best way to describe this beer is very well balanced. The hop presence is strong, but the body of the beer is a perfect match to create a fusion between hop and sugars for a homogeneous beer. Does that even make sense? I dunno, but this is a great IPA I would recommend it to anyone!

sorryaboutbrooks, Jul 18, 2008
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.