Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Nice clear dark-ish golden color. Dense half inch head with lacing all the way down.

Smell: The first thing my friends notice about this beer is the floral aroma. Someone said the other day that it smells like flowers! The floral aroma is the best I've personally ever experienced from a beer.

Taste: Good balance between the bitterness and malt with a great example the biscuit-y flavor that I love. Doesn't get much better for me. Even the flavor of the burp is good, not harsh or burning.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth and clear, not thick, but a solid mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Great drinkability, not so strong that you have to drink it slowly, but complex enough that you want to savor it. Pretty strong ABV, as is typical with a strong IPA, but a couple of these go down great with friends and meal.

Notes: This is currently my favorite beer. Looking to find some like it that have the floral aroma and balance that this beer has. So far I haven't found any. If you are a hophead, you will love this beer and be surprised by the aroma and flavor. Enjoy!!

claykeller, Aug 07, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice honey color with a big fluffy white head. The nose is intensely flowery and yeasty. Very creamy in the mouth. The flavor is a nice biscuity yeasty malt backbone bathed in a big citrusy dose of hops. Fairly long and bitter finish. Unique flavor profile amongst IPA's. Definately satisfies the craving for a hoppy beer.
I will say that this beer can be inconsisten. For every perfect fresh bottle I have had, there has been another that lost a lot of flavor, or a cask conditioned pint that was past it's prime. I find bottles from a high turnover retailer to be most relaible.

ChuckVee, Aug 06, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a gorgeous hazy orange golden color with a huge-superfrothy head. Aroma is super super SUPER FRESH and citric! This is one incredibly doughy and yeasty brew. Flavor is very similar, soooo doughy. The more you sip the more bitter it gets. Citrus and pine flavor stays tough throughout. This is fairly dry. Feel is super chewy, creamy and full.

I wish this stuff was distributed up here.

kbnooshay, Aug 06, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a golden amber with a nice off white head. Some lacing that slides.

Smell is of aromatic hops and some fruit. Very citrusy. Very intoxicating.

Taste is excellent, a nice bite of hops, and a balanced malt attack. Hops are citrusy and bitter and the malt is mild and semi sweet. Goes down smooth with a carbonation bite at the end and a dry citrus finish.

Overall, a great beer, not too expensive, seems like it could become a regular for me.

crossovert, Aug 06, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks Drunkmonk for the hookup.

Poured a nice golden color with good carbpnation and a small white head. Nose is floral and grapefruit. Taste is nice with hop bitterness in the beginning and middle and cleans up at the end. Very smooth and the ABV is well hidden here. Well balanced and very, very drinkable.

barleywinefiend, Aug 03, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours slightly hazy orange with white 1/2 finger head with excellent retention, patchy lacing. Aroma is citrus floral hops, some pine, faint fruity esters.

Taste is similar to aroma, citrusy floral hops, strong pine and grapefruit with somewhat sharp bitterness, dry finish and citrus aftertaste.

It felt very, very good after a dinner in the garden, but the bitterness seemed slightly too sharp for my taste.

atis, Aug 02, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint glass.

This beer pours a slighty cloudy gold with a white head, no real lacing.

It smells very very fruity, citrus dominating, with a slight note of hops.

It tastes wonderful. It is sweet and citrus but has a great bitter taste at the end. The thing that makes it great is that the bitter note is the best IPA end I've had and allows you to drink a ton of them.

jrallen34, Aug 02, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Well here it goes. Poured into my pint glass the beer is a nice shade of gold/orange. The head is enormus. Bits of sticky lace remain after it settles down. The cap stays put on top of my glass holding in all the flavor. The smell is awesome. So piney. It has a strong grapefruit/ citrus smell as well. There's also a lovely floral boquet that wafts up to my nose. The first sip is a punch inthe mouth. It tastes like the most floral christmas tree I've ever smelled. In a good way. So tart and bitter it makes me pucker. I love it. The feel seems very sticky and dry. It just sort of sets up shop in my mouth and stays there. I am really starting to appreciate hops. This beer does nothing but feed the fire that has been started. Bring on the big boys.

beerwolf77, Aug 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

May not have been perfectly fresh but consumed day of purchase.
Dark yellow with a white head with good lacing.
Citrus, some orange possibly blood orange along with grapefruit.
Orange, and grapefruit with a malt finish with a taste that I cant identify yet but is also present in Alpha King.
Full body very nice for an IPA.
Great beer I would love to have more often, unfortunately I had to go to florida to get it.

alovesupreme, Jul 31, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A- A hazy orange color. Unfortunately, it was poured for me at a bar and there was not much of a head. I have had one of these before so I am guessing it was the pour.

S- The most abundant smell is citric. Hop aroma also comes through much more than any malt.

T- The citric flavor comes through just like in the aroma. There is a finish of bitterness that is evident, but certainly not overly bitter. Finishes dry and refreshing.

M- Medium or moderate body.

D- Very easy to drink these and with a 7.10% ABV, one could find his or herself in trouble.

Lolli1315, Jul 27, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Hazy dark orange in appearance with a nice noticeable white head and great lacing.

S: Florals are top notch, star of the show they are. Piney hops and fruity aromatics of grapefruit and tangerine zest.

T: Bitter hop action in the front of pine resin that washes out clean.

M: Fuller in body, very sticky, nicely carbonated.

D: All day along if it were available near me. Great beer to session for all the hop lovers out there, and for that comes recommended.

BuffaloTapHugger, Jul 26, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a cloudy amber orange color with a thick white head. Plenty of lacing on the glass.

Smell is of floral hops mostly with a little citrus.

Taste is of the floral hops on a bready malt backbone. This is not particularly balanced well, but I still find it enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and fairly crisp. It ends very dry though.

This is fairly drinkable, but the dryness does seem to be getting to me.

ocelot2500, Jul 26, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Had on tap at One Eyed Jack's in Beavercreek, Ohio. A little known Gem.

A - light golden in color. A solid head that is fluffy and light. Fairly clear with a few floaties.

S - Very floral. The smell of hops is evident off the bat. There's another aroma that is so hard to place. At the risk of sounding like its a negative, it's almost like new car smell. But I like it!

M - Light and crisp. Very dry for the style with a refreshing finish. This one is neither dense nor sticky but retains some great flavor.

T - Not as complex as I would have imagined. Definitely some oily hop character and light citrus. Good malt body although I really wouldn't want to let this one warm up.

D - I could definitely drink a few of these. A pretty good session beer. A bit lighter than I'm used to for the style, but a solid offering overall.

jdflyer06, Jul 25, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

heard about this from a forum post someone was comparing it to my drink of choice alpha king , so I had to see what the hype was about.

app.- beautiful looking murky orange , with foam that sticks high for ages , just like an IPA should.

smell- Strong spices come through my nostrils and then after a big whiff I smell small citrus and of course lovely floral hops.

Taste- There is some malty sweetness to the beginning of it then I taste some odd ass spice or something that I can't quite figure out what it is. The finish is a floral hop taste not overwhelming though , my issue from giving this higher than 4 is it never balances, but still tastes amazing.

MF- About medium but it has a very wet finish even more so then alpha king and A-king is wet like pussy.

Drinkability- despite the wet finish , this is a very very drinkable IPA especially considering it's 7% ABV , wow , give me 3 more.

I still prefer my alpha king, but it's a damn close fight.

bgreg3, Jul 25, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured cloudy amber with a two finger head that stayed throughout. Aroma was orange and very nice. The taste was grapefruit without the hoppy bitterness, milder hop taste Stone's Ruination IPA. this one a definate winner, but AleSmith IPA still the gold standard in my unworthy opinion.

kegger22, Jul 23, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Finally decided to review this one..

A- Poured out a semi-hazy golden copper color. This beer is a lot lighter than most IPA's I drink. Nice 2 finger off white head stays for a short bit before leaving tons of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- The nose to start off with is floral hops coming through. Almost right away though you get a strong aroma of citrus hops knocked in with some bitter piney hops as well. Light tones of bready malts with this to finish it up with the aroma.

T- I got a nice bitter hop taste right off the get go forming into a citrus taste. The bready malts were a little sweet but balanced out the bitterness which if not for the sweetness would have ruined this beer. Nice crisp semi-bitter hop finish on the tail end of this beer.

M- Light mouthfeel. This beer as always has perfect carbonation. The beer itself comes and goes in a heartbeat across the palate but leaves a nice hoppy taste in your mouth. Oily resin from the hops is left on the tounge.

D- This beer you can not just have one of. Everytime I go out and see it on tap I smile and order one. Then it usually turns into a couple more. Great IPA and great company.

alleykatking, Jul 22, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

I agree with VikeMan fully. I also am NO expert on IPA's, but I will tell you that I can appreciate a great one. I bought a bottle of this, and poured it into a 22 oz. glass. Slightly foggy, golden yellow in color. Very drinkable, but like any IPA, there is limit. I would definitely buy this again. I paid $5 for the bottle; well worth it!

ericbeer, Jul 21, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Disclaimer: I am Not in any way an IPA expert.

Poured out of my sight. Served in a 22 oz Pilsner glass. Yellowish Orange color, slightly cloudy. White head (not a ton of it, but plenty adequate). Lace? Lace for days. Amazing Lace. Enough Lace for a Victoria's Secret catalog. Really cool.

Smell... Hops, Pine, Hops, Citrus, Hops, Apricot (I swear!), Hops.

Taste...pretty much like it smells. Somewhat bitter aftertaste, but not too much.

Of the IPAs I have tried (which is not a lot), they pretty easily divide into those I'd have again and those I wouldn't. This one is solidly in the 'ones I would' camp.

VikeMan, Jul 21, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Aztec gold with an almost polka dot pattern imprinted by super-fine remnants of suspended yeast. It is brimming, the kind of glimmering brightness that causes me to look up, half expecting to see someone casting a spotlight on it from above. Its head defects in some places but is, generally speaking, thorough and full-bodied. Also, it leaves charming blood splatter like patterns of spotty lacing.

Never mind following the heart - follow your nose! You want super-citrusy fruity hoppiness? We got it. You want sticky, sappy, resiny hoppiness? We got it. The ulta-toasty, caramel-doused malt base - nice as it is - can hardly even be detected under all this hoppiness. It is an intoxicating acidic array, a tropical jungle full of citrus fruits, a rainbow of bright and vibrant colours. It will induce the hop-head into a zen-like state of nirvana.

Hop heads eat (literally, drink) your heart out! This tastes a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Zesty orange peel, candied grapefruit, grilled mango squirted in lemon juice, caramelized coconut, spiked pineapple puree - it is all and every ounce of flavour you can hope to find in an American IPA. The malt provides just enough biscuity caramel to keep the acidity afloat and the pungency at bay; with that help, the hops can really go to town - and they do.

Two-Hearted gets right at the heart of the matter - hops. It is the nectar of the hoppy beer gods. Hop farmers should devote a ritual involving this beer to appease the gods. Sacrifice it, sacrifice something to it, do some kind of dance, make a donation to charity in its name, pour it all over the seeds and soil - do whatever it must take to make the hop gods happy so that we can continue to rejoice in the sappy, citrusy goodness of lupullin.

This is easily one of the best IPA's - and I refuse to disclaim that as merely my own opinion. Survey 100 BA's and ask them to describe the perfect IPA. It is likely that all 100 accounts, however different in their respective portrayals, will each and every one depict, in one facet or another, the Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It is simultaneously one of the most flavourful, most aromatic, most sessionable and satisfying beers out there.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. That must be true; the occasions I get to have this beer are few and far between but each time I come back to it, I seem to love it more than the time before. Its quaffability, its quality of ingredients, the vibrant and satiating presence of so many Centennial hops - this may honestly be the best IPA in an American market that knows no shortage of great IPA's.

biegaman, Jul 20, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow, with a slight orange tint. Rather unassuming and unintimidating.

S: Lemons, a little grass. Nice sweet hoppiness here. Good malt.

T: Citrus in the front with a great bitter in the mid-palate, finishing refreshingly and invitingly dry. Great stuff.

M: Rather light mouthfeel for the punch this beer packs, as well as the abv.

D: Yes, please. Anytime. This is definitely one of my favorite all-around beers. Reasonably priced (though still unavailable here in SC), drinkable as hell, and just damn thirst-quenching despite the strength.

watkins, Jul 15, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a white head. The smell is of hops with some citrus maybe orange and grapefruit. The hop smell is more earthy piney hops. The taste is of piney hops but not over powering it is balanced out with some citrus notes. The mouthfeel is good, there is a good amount of carbonation to this beer. Overall the drinkability on this beer is good. It is a little weaker in the hop taste than some other IPA's this would be a good starter ipa.

goblue3509, Jul 14, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Dense two finger head colored perfectly white that never goes away. Exceptional head retention. Two Hearted is a clear goldenrod hue. A few notches deeper than some of the macros. Lacing hangs out for a while.

S- Spicy and bitter. Smell is pretty refreshing. Lots of oranges, grapefruit and some pineapple. A very nice take on the citrusy hops. Pretty sweet and juicy.

T- Biscuity malts lay a base underneath some crisp hops. The malts give it a smooth creamy feel/taste, then the hops interrupt with a sharp bite. Lots more of that orange, grapefruit and pineapple. This beer is really loaded with oranges. Bitterness is moderate. The finish is slightly resinous and dry.

M- Carbonation is on the low side for an IPA, thin body. Somewhat watery at times. Still quite refreshing. Alcohol is not noticeable despite this being at the high end of the ABV% spectrum for this style.

D- This is quite highly sessionable. The bitterness wont strip your enamel off and its pretty thirst quenching and crisp.

I am not a fan of IPAs but I have been picking some up, trying to get used to them. This one is an easy drinker for people like me who dont like the seriously bitter stuff.

MbpBugeye, Jul 13, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A nice golden orange, quite an attractive looking beer. Slim 1/4" head on it fades to a thin layer after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing on the glass. Crystal clear.

S: One of my favorite smelling beers. Grapefruit, orange, and pine. A bit of sweetness in the nose.

T: Well balanced. Quite piney, lots of citrus. The classic Bell's yeast flavor is in there also.

M: Excellent carbonation, medium body, very well done.

D: A pint of this goes really quick.

Great beer, I can't say enough about it.

aggiearcher13, Jul 13, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from bottle to tumbler.

Appearance - Lighter than most IPA's more golden-orange than dark amber. Nice big frothy 2 finger head that laces very nicely.

Smell - This beer smells phenomenal, there is not a much better smelling beer in my opinion. Flowery hops abundent along with nice citrus and pine notes. A bit of sweet detected and maybe a whiff of the malts. A tiny bit of alcohol makes it just right.

Taste- Tastes like it smells, and it smells wonderful. Very floral, earthy taste, nice citrus hops. Alcohol is apparent but it fits in nicely. The malts are sitting behind here, but can be tasted and balance this beer very well. Not overly bitter, bits of honey and sweet caught.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation here, just the right bite on the tongue, not overpowering here. Feels like silk.

Drinkability - Awesome drinkability, this is my go to beer. I buy it when fishing, working in the yard, etc etc. I could drink a 6-pack so easily.

One of my absolute favorite beers, there are few that top this IPA in my opinion.

cvaypai, Jul 13, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Dark yellow amberand transparent with a good inch and a half of nearly white head that keeps its form fairly well. Little sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Pouring it in gives the color an amber opaqueness.

Smells hoppy like an American IPA. The hop taste is not overpowering at all. Some grains also come through. A good balance here. But don't expect a lot of hops in this one. Even the bitter bite of the hops is subdued quickly in favor of malts' sweet feel. Overall a good beer, very drinkable, but like I said don't expect a lot of hops in this one.

Cheers

JordanEllwanger, Jul 12, 2009
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.