Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

This was a popular beer at the bar I worked for in Ohio. We carried many beers by Bells and I liked most of them. After the popularity of the Two-Hearted Ale in our bar, I had to try it. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of American IPA's so I'm trying my best to adjust my palate for this style of beer, but I just couldn't find my chi with this one. I liked that it tried to balance itself out with subtle citrus hues, but I just found the hops to be way too overpowering. I felt that it became slightly easier to drink about halfway through the pint, but overall the excessive hoppiness does not seem properly balanced with the rest of the beer.

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%

What's up with these Michigan brewers? It seems most of the really good American beers available in Georgia are from Michigan, Pennsylvania, Colorado and California. Perhaps they've had supportive legislation longer than other states; I don't know. We don't get a lot of the great California beers, but it's hard to complain overall. But Michigan? Michigan brewers are something special, in my opinion. I don't mean to slight our Georgia breweries like Terrapin, Sweetwater, ABC etc. They make great beer too.

Another great Michigan beer: Two Hearted Ale. I've pondered the fish on the bottle only to infer a reference to the fish's two-chambered heart.

After an aggressive pour into a Sierra Nevada Becker there's 3 fingers of foamy, off-white head. Beneath is a beautiful copper/orange slightly hazy brew. The head fades slowly leaving plenty of lacing. A superior pour.

The aroma is an immediate rush of citrus hops. I pick up plenty of grapefruit and oranges followed by a sweet candy-like smell that really is tantalizing. The taste is similar. I also taste tangerines or clementines that add a complementary sweetness. My first few samples of Two Hearted Ale seemed slightly unbalanced toward the bitter side. As my newbie palate has developed or my addiction to hoppy beers has increased, this seems almost a perfectly balanced American version of an IPA. Considering the style, I don't know how this beer could taste any better.

Its slightly tingly mouth feel is quite refreshing. The body is medium, again perfect for the style. Perhaps it's more carbonated than I prefer, but that may be due to all the stouts and porters I've been drinking lately. Perhaps I'm just trying to find something that's not perfect with this IPA. It's unquestionably drinkable. I could drink a few of these easily.

Perhaps the best IPA I've had, right up there with, or probably even better than Smuttynose IPA, another favorite. The hop aroma and taste are different than any other IPA I've tried. They give Two Hearted Ale its unique and delicious flavor.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

medium tea brew in appearance. Head - nothing extravegant gone in <5 min. Smell:Nice hops burst light and pleasant. hops are very present, but not to the point of obnoxious. Not sure of mouthfeel but, Me Likey!!! Drinkability: Really???? This is definitately a very good beer. My fave!!!

4.44/5  rDev +4%

A: A hazy golden, bordering on amber color. Fluffly off-white head and a decent amount of bubbles. A quick swirl reveals that the beer leaves a large amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Right off the bat a huge amount of floral hops blended with citrus hops are present in the scent. Smells like a pot of fresh cut flowers. As far as the citrus goes, definitely weighs high on the side of grapefruit with some slight lemon zest and mango. There's also some faint malt scent that can be picked up. The scent pretty much dares you to drink the beer. Definitely one of the most intoxicating scents I've ever experienced in a beer. I really can't get enough of the way this beer smells.

T: Very well balanced for an IPA. I hate the IPAs that are just overwhelming with a pine taste. The best way to describe the hoppy presence is, aggressive but not overpowering. Citrus hops dominate the front of this beer. A sweet soft grapefruit and mango taste is heavily present which gives away to a lemon/pine/malt finish. Very tasty, yet not a beer I want to pound. It's so tasty, I just want to enjoy it.

M: Medium bodied, with medium to high carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing.

D: This is a solid beer. It's not something I would want to drink all night due to all the different flavors present, but it's one fantastic brew.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

If I had to think of one word for this beer, it would be "lingering". The head lingers unlike almost any beer I've ever poured, the ridiculously hoppy flavor lingers in the mouth for ages between sips, and my desire to drink one lingers as long as I've got some in the house. An absolutely stellar beer, with a flavor that is perhaps a bit *too* overpowering.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

#5. First on tap review courtesy of Summit's Wayside Tavern in Lilburn. Reviews on Bells are pleasing in general and I have had their famous Hopslam Ale before (Delicious). I ordered a pint, price is decent ($5.99).

(Appearance) Beer arrives cold and has a shallow, yet fluffy off-white head, and a fair amount of lacing drapes the edges of the glass. Beer is semi-cloudy and an appealing golden amber color. Carbonation is lively. It is aesthetically pleasing. 4.5

(Smell) Quite hoppy and a good deal of authentic citrus, perhaps grapefruit scents. I sense piney, floral scents that come from some pretty fresh hops. The beer smells to have a good balance of bitterness & sweetness, although more bitter is the initial impression I get here, I can smell some faint sweet malty scents hidden within. 4

(Taste) As anticipated, the beer is somewhat bitter and has a dominating kick of hops and citrus, mostly lemony and grapefruit. It tastes like a good deal of spices have been added to intensify the taste of this beer. The malt is just subtle enough to round out the taste. It's good. 4

(Mouthfeel) Crisp from the lively carbonation, slightly on the dry side, but not overwhelmingly so. This makes this beer a pretty exciting one to consume. 4.5

(Drinkability) This is a very crisp and refreshing beer. On a night where I feel like going for an IPA, this would make an fulfilling candidate. It manages to maintain the characteristics of a typical IPA without overwhelming the drinker with overly bitter hops and an excessively dry mouthfeel. The only reason I didn't get another of these was due to my limited spending money. 4.5

Verdict: This beer boasts a lot of unique characteristics and has an impressive, well balanced body and nose that combines bitter and sweet scents into a satisfying IPA. A great starter choice for those who are wary of dry hops or hop-heavy beer. This should be tried at least once by any so-called beer enthusiast. A- (4.2)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Been drinking this one regularly for a few years and finally a proper review. Enjoyed at my local establishment and reviewed from notes jotted on a napkin, so here it is...

A- A very enticing hazy golden color with a terrific amber/orange hue. Has a nice amount of carb that bubbles up and leads to a nice and fluffy pearl white head. Definitely very appealing and ready for further inspection.

S- Right away a great bouquet of floral hops blended with citrus hops. This one if definitely packed with grapefruit and mango aromas and as further warming reveals a nice pine with a very faint and subtle lemony effervescence. The aroma hops are definitely well blended with the bittering hops and then right before a sip I can pick up a little malty sweetness, dare I say a very, very faint caramel sweetness. Very intoxicating aroma, so glad it's fresh as hell.

T- Whoa, a rush of succulent and juicy citrus hops explode with grapefruit and mango dancing all over the place and then finish with a great lemony pine twist. I am also able to taste the very faint caramel drizzle that leaves it's footprint on the very end of the taste. It's actually unbelievable that this is a year round beer. When this beer is fresh I would dare to say it's better than the oracle. Very tasty and quite refreshing.

M- The carb is perfect for the style and it allows every drop of the juicy hops to escape for taste. Really refreshing and a crisp and sharp finish. The slight tingle from the carb is amazing and leaves you wanting more and more.

D- Absolutely a must try when fresh. It's a tremendous crafting of hops and malt to make everything balance perfectly. It's moderate abv is no problem and can definitely be tolerated.

Nice job Larry, would love to try a dry hopped version!

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah yes, the infamous Bell's Two Hearted Ale! Finally getting around to reviewing this beer seeing as Ive been drinking it religiously for a few years. 12oz bottle # 9953 with no freshness date poured into my Weyerbacher tulip.

Pours a cloudy orangish golden with a good looking 2" off white head that stays around for about 5 then dissipate's into a thin film across the brew.

Smell is dominated by the Citra hops used here, and I'm more than certain this beer is %100 Citra, even in the dry hopping. This brew has a nice floral, fruity, resinous hop character and a subtle sweet pale crystal malt background. Not too much yeast character to be noticed here, most like a SafAle breed or Nottingham.

This wicked brew tastes like an awesome homebrew! Full of citrus like resinous hop flavor from the Citra's, a subtle yeasty touch, and a sweet pale malt character to back it up. Very nicely balanced in my opinion.

The mouthfeel is pretty standard for the style, even though I view this brew as a APA, not an IPA. A crisp drink with a somewhat oily characteristic to it.

Overall I have always been a fan of Bells. Yes I know some of their brews are extremely overpriced, but I seem to always go back for more. Even @ $11.99 for a 6pk at various places here in Atlanta, this brew is always a must if you see a few on the shelves. Cheers!

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Thanks to my son for bringing home from college.

A-Pours slightly hazy golden amber with almost a two finger, off-white head with good retention and abundant lacing. Very fine appearance.

S-Pronounced juicy citrus hops. Grapefruit is most prominent and then lemon. There is also some sweetness from the malts, and pine. I love Centennial hops.

T-Well balanced. Hops are aggressive without being overpowering. Malt backbone in finish is slightly too sweet. Juicy citrus hops are again the most prominent taste profile, especially grapefruit.

M-Very smooth with good carbonation.

D-This is a very good IPA and the best I have enjoyed brewed east of the Rocky Mountains. I have never seen this available in the PNW and probably won't have again anytime soon. Glad to have tried it, but even more glad it did not knock my socks off since not readily available to me.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A: Golden orange. Nice carbonation, white head with flowing lace that leaves sticky blotches behind.

S: Smells sweet..citrus.

T: Nice herbal, citrus hops..grapefruity. Pretty strong malt backbone balances Two Hearted out nicely. Liking the bitter aftertaste.

M: Not as sticky or a dry as I would have expected. Bubbly and smooth.

D: This is extremely drinkable. Because it's not as dry as a lot of IPAs, this one doesn't lend itself to sipping. Two Hearted is very enjoyable and can stand toe to toe with any regular IPA on the market.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

This is a very solid India Pale Ale. The pour is very smooth and hits the glass with a satisfying hiss that floats up to a loose, heady head. The smell is very authentically Midwest with more pines than citrus fruits. The mouthfeel is dry and satisfying. Drinkability is great with this one, be careful because you might just end up having more than you planned.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Seattle Supersonics pint glass.

A: Golden yellow, amber color with excellent clarity under a two-finger thick head of dense, rocky white foam. Carbonation is sparse but lively enough and the brew just seems to shine.

S: Nice, mellow, grassy, herbal, peppery hop and spicy, citrusy aromas rise from the brew. Very fresh and leafy smelling.

T: Awesome toasted malt sweetness up front with a little buttery, grainy flavor also. Almost immediately, a very clean, citrus and grassy hop flavor rolls over the palate, cascading into a dry, sticky, herbal hop finish. Clean brew with great flavor, nice balance and a good hop finish.

M: Medium bodied, clean and smooth, with a little alcoholic and hop bitter sting in there.

D: A very nice American IPA with some extra oomph at 7.1% ABV. The smooth blend of grassy, herbal hops and light malt sweetness make this a great all-night IPA. Wish we could get Two-Hearted here in CT.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Golden amber with a beautiful thick white head it dissipates but full coverage remains.
The aroma is full of grassy earthy hops pungent and nice.
The mouth is smooth very nice, creamy and full of hops and malt. It starts sweet and grassy turns earthy and hop flavored. It ends with a slight bitter but all around nice hop flavor.

4.14/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with a big frothy white head that dissipates down into a fine layer of foam. Lacing is impressive; big suds creeping down the glass.

Smell: Amazing one of the best India Pale Ales I have smelled and trust me I have had quite a few heavy hitters e.g. Commodore perry Smuttynose Finest kind, this puts those to shame. Multitudes of citrus hops mingling with a fair amount of pine, a plethora of floral notes are present. Top notch stuff.

Taste: The smell I think is making me a little overly critical here but oh well. the taste is a little thin for my liking it didn't seem to pack as much of a taste punch as I was expecting initially that is. The back side of the taste is a different story altogether, a lot of tangy grapefruit counterbalanced with sweet oranges. very pleasing altogether.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated. crisp and refreshing considering the ABV, doesn't get all heavy like some other IPA's I have had

Drinkability: Man, deceptive. On a hot day or balmy summer night I feel one could go through a six pack with relative ease atleast I could. Considering the alcohol content in this one I do not know how coherent I would be afterwards though.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours into glass an orangey color with light yellow tones and slight haze. The aroma is mellow and not overly strong. The taste explodes with strong crisp malt flavors and a nice hop finish at the end... not too bitter. The malt balances very well with the hop notes culminating in well rounded taste. Rich citrus notes do make a light appearance and make this a flavorful and well balanced beer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

A - nice golden color with a whiite head. Nice lacing.
S - smells pretty good, a bit of grapefruit, not as strong smelling as I would have expected.
T - hoppy - bitter but not citrusy or piney especially. Missing those flavors. Disappointing, frankly.
MF - clean - flavor is good but it doesn't "stick"
D - Could have a few of these.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: Golden with a light, white, foamy, lingering head.

Smell: Grapefruit, citrus hop, mild malt sweetness.

Taste: Citrus hop - grapefruit balanced by a lightly sweet malt backbone, finishes mostly dry, slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light, smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: Fairly standard IPA, easy to drink.

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Burnt orange, yellow. Nic creamy 1 inch head. Tons of lacing

Smell - Hops, some sugars, citrus, malts. Grapefruit, orange and some floral spices.

Taste - Rather bold and thick hop flavor. Not overly bitter, nor sweet. Sort of like a fresh hop beer flavor, with extra hops. Its mildly malted, and has some spices and sugars mixed in.

Mouthfeel - Its medium thickness and the alcohol is masked very well. Will bitter tounge some but certainly not a crusher. Aftertaste is sweet and hoppy.

Overall - Its pretty smooth and easy to drink. Freshness really made this beer enjoyable. Has a nice combination or hops and malts. This is totally a go to good ipa for when you want a soild beer. At 7%, you can enjoy a few without getting messed up. Soild and very good beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

First had: on tap at Eulogy, Philly, PA

Pours a hazy, light, golden color, with a nice white head that leaves ample lacing. Strong nose of citrusy hops and a touch of pine. Taste is citrus, pineapple, tones of earth and grassiness. Hoppy bite, but crisp and smooth. Light-medium body, crisp and perfectly carbonated. Extremely drinkable, and I'd recommend even to people that don't care for IPAs. One of the first beers that really started getting me more into the craft scene.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a glass.

A: Deep orange and cloudy. Very thick head that lingers for a long time. Heavy lacing present throughout the glass.

S: Citrusy hops dominate the nose. Some sweet malt and yeast present too.

T: Lots of citrus from the hops. Balanced, not overly bitter. Finish is dry with some residual bitterness lingering from the hops.

M: Medium bodied with a great carbonation level giving a creaminess to the mouthfeel.

D: A great beer to sip on and enjoy. Definitely recommended to those looking for a fantastic IPA. Easy to have more than one in a session.

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to psukinger for the bottle acquired in a trade.

I have to admit that I sometimes judge a beer by the label. This label is not the coolest looking label. Last thing I want is for my beer to taste like trout. But I'm blown away by how good this beer is.

A: Poured into a snifter with a huge head. I think this attests to how fresh this bottle is. The color of orange rust - what a beautiful color.

S: Scents of pine and huge grapefruit. Brings me to a forest on an crisp autumn day stepping over pinecones while cutting into a grapefruit.

T: Delicious - the hope quality is apparent. Its not too strong like many IPAs can be. I'm a hope head and love bitter but this is nicely balanced and really a fantastic effort from Bells.

M: The beer is not thick and has a silky feel while rolling over the tongue

D: I feel like if I could get this on a regular basis - it would be my staple IPA. Unfortunately Bell's is not available in NY.

I think I love this beer!

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Beer of the Night - Bells Brewery, Inc. - Two Hearted Ale - American IPA - 7.10% ABV

The pour on this brew was great from the start. It poured a nice, hazy, golden yellow color. It has a wondefully thick/fluffy white head. As it fades during the drink, a great webbing of thick lacing followed.

This brew had a great Hop heavy aroma. It hits the nose at even at the pop of the cap. It has a nice floral hop aroma at the front of the brew, then it follows wtih a great citrus hops aroma. I can almost smell apricots. This brew has a nice, slightly grassy aroma to it.

This brew tastes very much like the aroma. It has a nice floral hops flavor at the front, then a nice zesty citrus hop kick. Its got the great hop bitter, and touch of sweetness that gives it a wondeful flavor.

This brew is very refreshing. It goes down very smooth and it super crisp. It has a great aftertaste, that leaves you lingering for more. Its carbonated just right, that gives this brew even more greatness in texture.

Though this brew has a 7.10%, its not very heavy and can make a great session beer for an IPA. This was a great representation of the style, and another great brew by Bell's.

This IPA may be the best. Orangle colored, low to no foam head, hoppy, citrus finish, that's so enjoyable then a sixer or two wouldn't be an issue to drink in one sitting.

Whenever I go searcing for this brew it's typically sold off of all the shelves. I would like to see Bell's at some more Beer Festivals so they can get the word out on the great taste and flavor of this exceptional Michigan brew

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer envy. I'll explain shortly.

Two Hearted is top of the Bell's class, and a clear stand out in its product line. If you're fond of the Midwest APA's then you will have a heart for this brew. 2H is caries an IPA designation but its character is more APA, and here's why:

The appearance is a golden coper ale, with small carbonation bubbles, a generous foamy head which leaves a creamy top.

A distinct but not overpowering citrus and floral smell.

Distinct lemony finish with citrus, and it has a crisp dry finish to the palette. Easy to drink a couple of these.

Now, back to beer envy. This is the first pack of 2H that I've had yet its been stocked on the shelves at some local stores for some time. With the popularity of other Midwest standouts such as Burning River & Daisy Cutter, beauty from Bell's holds its own.

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Beautiful frothy white head floating above a slightly unfiltered goldish-apricot body.

S: Citrusy hops strike immediately. Smells almost sweet for an IPA.

T: Orange and apricot citrus on the initial taste with grassy notes hitting at the finish. Less bitter than I expected.

M: Mild bitterness, smooth down the pipe, and a light dryness on the tongue at the end.

D: Smooth, easy-drinking IPA that provides a nice, refreshing feel. Lack of bold flavors allow for multiple refills.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.