Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Two Hearted Ale is a beer which will always have a place in my fridge. I lucked out with this sixer, as it's only two weeks old. This particular review comes from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a Guiness tulip-shaped pint glass.

Appearance: In terms of color, Two Hearted Ale is almost the picture-perfect American IPA. It pours a vibrant copper-apricot color with tinges of amber found where the glass gets fat. It's not as hazy as a lot of other IPA's but it's by no means transparent. The beer also has a real glow to it, I think because it was brewed, in part, by Jesus Christ. Atop the beer is a foamy two-finger head that subsides fairly rapidly to form a thin cover over the top of the liquid. There's not a whole lot in the way of lacing, but a few streaks find their way to the sides of my glass. I don't know if this should be considered when awarding scores for appearance, but I don't know if there's another beer that looks as appetizing to me than Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Smell: The scent of Two Hearted Ale is perfection achieved for an IPA. What a glorious floral, citric and juicy aroma this beer produces. This is a beer that makes absolutely zero qualms about being hop-centric and I am cherishing every whiff I get out of the glass. Though this is obviously a hopped up brew, the caramel malts also manage to sneak through and add a wonderful sugar-coated sensation to the already delectable hops.

Taste: Ah, so this is what Centennial hops taste like. They're in no short supply in Two Hearted Ale and they taste delicious. The hops floral and citric hops are again the most dominant characters in the taste, with a good deal of grapefruit and pine coming through as well. The malts are present but certainly to a lesser extent (as they damn well should be). Two Hearted is without a shadow of a doubt a great beer, but it's just a tad too subduedbecause it is just a tad subdued for my taste. Still, this is an outstanding hoppy beverage and one that I will imbibe in earnest.

Mouthfeel: This is a nicely carbonated beer and as such is very refreshing and somewhat crisp. The body, however, is lacking just a bit, in my opinion. It's just a little thinner than I would expect a great IPA to be, but it's by no means a turn-off to the beer. It is still extremely smooth and strikes just the right balance between being sticky and dry.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the bottle before I could comment on the drinkability and I think that will suffice as an explanation as to why this is a fantastically drinkable beer. It's exceptionally smooth and just has an inexplicable refreshing quality to it. The alcohol, though not being excessive at 7% is totally masked and plays no part in the taste. I could drink this beer all day and then some.

All said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a masterpiece of a beer. I've never been disappointed in the slightest margin by Larry Bell, and this beer is no exception. I can comfortably call this a world class IPA and a brew that I am eternally grateful is easily accessible to me. Two Hearted is my go-to beer if I'm need of a flavorful yet still drinkable beer and will continue to buy this beer until it is no longer made.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

On-Tap at the Distillery in Savannah on 5/22/10

A - Hazy orange with a fluffy off-white head. Retention is nice, leaves soapy lacing on the glass.
S - Tropical orange and pineapple hops dominate with a bit of lightly sweet malt.
T - Tons of pineapple with a good amount of canned mandarin orange. Honey and sweet caramel malt provide a nice balance.
M - Juicy with a medium body and crisp carbonation.
D - Great drinkability, one of the best go-to IPAs!

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a pale orange with thin white head and a little bit of lacing. Smells of hops, but not as much as I'd expect. Quite sweet too, almost like honeydew melon. Taste has some citrus hop bitterness with lots of malt, with some floral hops on the after taste. I wondered if the bottle I got may have been old and missing some of the hop flavours that I expected, but I checked on Bell's website and it says it was bottled on May 4th. Still tastes good though.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

I was about to comment on how underrated Bell's Two Hearted is. But then I hopped in here to post my review and see that it actually scores quite well. While not talked about that often, it is certainly an outstanding year-round India Pale Ale. Two-hearted is readily available here in Terre Haute, and I commonly order it when no other beers pique my interest. Certainly a top notch IPA.

Reviewing this one from the tap as that is generally how I drink them. Consumed in a standard pint glass at TGIFriday's late late last night. A darker clear golden-amber color with an impressive amount of soft loosely packed nearly white head. Had several pints of the two-hearted and noted distinct rings of lace left after every drink. Even though the head had receded to about one finger before I took my first swig, there was plenty to stick to the side of the glass.

A very nice combination of sweet grapefruit and other citrusy scents. A touch of flower and pine add to a very well-balanced nose.

Bell's Two Hearted starts out with a crisp bitter taste that is extremely creamy, rich, and full-bodied. It transitions to an excellent citrusy fruit (apricots, grapefruits, etc.) before coming full circle to a hopped, slightly bitter finish. However, there is very little lingering bitterness that I think often detracts from some IPAs.

This one has to be near the top for drinkability. I order it over just about anything that isn't new or different. Along with Hopslam and the Expedition Stout, Bell's shows that they can brew some outstanding beer. I still think that their beer in general is undervalued - I guess that leaves more for the rest of us.

Consumed: 5/26/2010

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Clear golden yellow with a small white head

S- Citrusy hoppy smell that makes you really want to try the beer to see what it tastes like.

T- Not at all disappointed from the smell. Citrusy hops throughout but not so much so that it's overpowering other than the constant citrus, a normal american IPA

M- Nice full bodied ale with a crisp dry aftertaste but it's not too dry

D- The not too dryness of the aftertaste makes you want more and it's probably the best american IPA I've had

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Nothing spectacular here. Looks can be decieving. Never judge a book by its cover. Standard straw yellow with a soapy head.

S- Heavily Hoppy with some citrus background. Fresh smell.

T- Bitter bite throughout. Twinges the toungue overall, while citrus flavors burn through to the end.

M- Perfect bodied American IPA. Not too full bodied, but enough there to leave a great impression.

D- Easy to pound these wonderful beers. So easy to gain respect for with each subsequent beer that you drink. Great job Bell's.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

At first I thought it was overrated. Then my buddy invited me over for a bachelor party... what could be more sensible than a five liter? Now here I sit with likely my 50th glass and I couldn't be happier with this, my all time favorite American IPA.

We were jovial, you know, of course we were. The sunset a clear orange as we stoked up a flame on the yet-to-be-finished back porch, and dreaded, all but one of us, the weekend as we were going to lose our friend to that ever-deepening pit of commitment. We toasted to the times gone by, and we toasted to the times ahead, as few and far between as we knew they would likely become.
Dropping like flies, we were, all of us. I had gotten down on one knee but days before and pledged my own life away, and from that point we all know that things change. There's a priority shift, where you go from being your own center of the universe to having to care about someone else first. So here we were with glasses in our hands, celebrating the passage of yet another into this murky and unknown territory... territory from which we expected him seldom to emerge. So we sat and enjoyed this nectar. Little else to say other than nearly perfect, we all esteemed it to be. Glass after delicious glass, this one particularly, over all the others, seems to be as perfect as we could muster. The perfect golden clarity, lacing mousse atop, an aroma both delicate and assertive at once, the flavour the same... perfect. Just the right amount of bitterness, just the right amount of complexity, just the right amount of balance, slightly dry in the finish, just enough body to give the mouth something to hold on to, but light enough to throw back pint after pint... light enough that we got rather sloppy rather quickly, as we sat around the fire and enjoyed one last bout of freedom... Here's to what we're losing, boys, and here's to what each of us will gain. There's something to be said for someone to live life with, to always be there regardless of where there is. Yes, of course, we'll lose the togetherness that we have. But we'll change, we'll mature, and we'll always be friends.
Here's to the best times, with the best friends, and the best IPA in the world.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

One of the benefits of trekking north into the land of William Penn is that beer stores only sell beer by the case. We stopped at the Beer Mill in West Chester where a case of four six packs cost less than $2 a bottle.

AROMA: Using its intense floral hops supported by a firm, complex malt background, it yells at your senses "I am American IPA".

APPEARANCE: It pours an almost solid gold color and is clear as a Bell (pun intended). The head was softly off-white and 1.5" thick. The head dissolved slowly, and lingered throughout the drink.

FLAVOR: It has the intense citrus floral hop complexity (orange, lemon, and definitely grapefruit) on a malt platform of barley, biscuit, and possibility wheat. What it lacks is the malt backbone found in a Dogfish 60 Minute IPA and in most English IPA's. Thus, as good as thus beer is and as good as the hops are, more malt would make this a better beer.

MOUTHFEEL: This is a full bodied beer made to have a medium bodied mouthfeel by the carbonation. It is creamy on the palate with a crisp, dry finish. The aftertaste is hops with a burning sensation on my tongue. The balance would br significantly improved with a malt backbone

DRINKABILITY: This is definitely not a session beer. Since it is not pasteurized, its shelf life is questionable. But I plan to keep a six pack in my refrigerator for at least a year to see if bottle aging decreases the hops flavor compared with the malt flavor.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

pours a light copper with strong hints of orange. inch high fluffy head, great lacing and great retention.

lots of grapefruit up front followed by light pine. light malts.

up front, tons of grape fruit. bitterness kicks in with a nice dominating pine effect. malt backbone is moderate, not much balance but a nice underlying flavor. grapefruit returns in the finish. nice hop complexity.

nice moderate carbonation and moderate body. bits of hops resin line the teeth.

i love this, super easy to drink. a hop bomb for the best of them. this is an IPA that sets the standard for all to follow. i love this and drink it often.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a rich murky golden color with huge bubbles clinging to the glass. A thick soapy head formed and quickly evaporated.

Bitter orange is the predominant flavor. Very hoppy and bitter and exceptionally dry. The taste of alcohol comes in during the middle and it finishes dry and astringent in the mouth. While not the best IPA, this definitely delivers what it promises, tons and tons of hops.

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a 12-oz bottle into chilled mug.

Cloudy butterscotch color with a smallish head that dissipated almost immediately; good lacing.

The aroma - mango, pineapple, & exotic flowers - is delightful. Smells like Hawaii in a bottle!

Good carbonation, slightly tangy, very crisp. Not as grapefruity as I usually like, but I didn't mind the lack at all; a very pleasant surprise. Nice, light tart aftertaste.

If it was available in California (it's not), I'd definitely drink this beer again.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe, reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass (I think...forgot to write down the vessel...jeeze). A thick white head sits on top of a hazy, orang-ish body. The head stuck around almost through the entire drink, leaving bits of lace behind.

The nose has refreshing hops, citrus in nature, grapefruit, orange zest, and roasted malts in the background.

Flavors stick tightly to the nose...add in a little earthy, floral hop pinch toward the finish. Extremely well balanced.

Medium to light mouth feel, well carbonated and slightly oily.

Super drinkable brew...right up there with the best of them. I had this in bottles before, but a fresh draft is the way to taste this one!

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Can't believe I never had this before. Pours a clear copper to light amber with very good light foam head. White in appearance. Smelled of citrusy & fruitlike hop aroma. Taste gives qualities of mango, citrus, pineapple but overall provides bubblegum character. Mouthfeel was nice dry crisp-like. A very drinkable beer. Will be looking for more of this again soon!

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

A - pours cloudy, golden in color. quarter inch head with a decently hard pour. However, it laces nicely all the way down.

S - smells of pine, citrus, and hops.

T - taste almost exactly as it smells. Citrus hops flavoring with a pine bite to it. Very tolerable and quite enjoyable

M - Nice carbonation, nothing extravagant, but better than other crafts ive had.

D - can definitely see myself purchasing another pack. Enjoyable altogether.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Long time BA lurker, first time reviewer; figured I'd start with something I know well and love; Bell's Two Hearted Ale. One of the first beers to get me hooked on craft, I can't say I'm not prejudging the drink I'm about to have. That said, I'll try to make this a genuine review and not a rehash of my previous experiences.

A: Pours golden yellow, slightly cloudy. 1/2 finger head which mostly dissipates quickly.

S: Citrus and pine, a Hopslam-lite aroma with less grapefruit emphasis. Inherently appealing to my nose, but with a hint of bitterness in the background.

T: The main event; the aroma is translated mostly directly to the taste, with most of the same elements dominating my palate. Two Hearted leans towards the citrus-y end of the hop spectrum and this bottle is no exception. As in the nose, a healthy but very balanced bitterness brings up the rear, more pronounced here than in the smell.

M: There is a slight thickness to this beer, but it is countered by the moderate carbonation; I've had some Two Hearted which I thought was under-carbonated, but this one is spot on.

D: I could, and have, drank more than my share of these.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

Nice golden yellow color. Head was average maybe a bit nicer.

Smelled of floral citrusy hops with a touch of I think malt somewhere in there.

Tasted really nice. Floral and citrusy. Alcohol was almost invisible. Very nice crispness and the carbonation level was almost perfect. This went down smoooth!

Super nice IPA. Could drink this forever. A lttle embarassed to have not had it sooner. I think if the fish wasn't on the label I wouldn't have had so much bias against it going in. Embarassing for me? Yes. Good beer? Absolutely.

4.27/5  rDev 0%

I've always wanted, but never tried hard, to try this beer and stumble upon the opportunity a night ago. This is a beer that I would love to have readily available to me, but don't.

My pour appeared a cloudy, dulled yellow color with a single finger head. Great citrus nose! I picked up strong citrus hops with pineapple and fresh cut/squeezed oranges. The taste continues with the orange notes, but less hops that I get on the nose. A very full mouthfeel and the body is spot on. I really enjoyed this beer and could do damage to a 6 pack on a hot summer day.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

This looks like a golden hazy beer with a nice billowy head on it that leaves some great lace on the sides of the glass at the beginning and throughout the drink in the entirety. It smells like hops and malts, very sweet, but a definite hoppy odor. It tastes hoppy but very sweet as well, just a touch bitter. I think this would be the perfect thirst quencher after doing something like mowing the lawn on a hot day. Can drink this all day.

Poured a 12oz ale into one of my favorite pint ale glasses.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a very thick creamy white head. Head holds up well for several minutes.

S: Nice floral scent with citrus notes as well. Good overall nose.

T: Good balance between the citrus hop bite and a malty backbone. Did I say balanced? Refreshing too. Good summer beer. I like the slightly dry aftertaste.

M: Slightly syrupy but enough carbonation to keep it keep it an easy drinker.

D: Good drinkable beer with an alcohol content that isn't overpowering. This is one that you can enjoy several without overdoing it. I like that it isn't too sweet and has a dry finish too.

Summary: Good solid IPA. One that I will buy again. Would also satisfy those that don't like really bitter ales. Easy to like!

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

A- Pours out a hazy orange-brown with a two finger head. The head is white and very foamy and sits with good retention. The whipped cream foam dies down slowly and allows me to sip. It simultaneously leaves a thick coat of lacing behind on the walls of the glass. Bell's makes some good looking beer.

S- From what I have found, Bell's has a lot of caramel malt in the aroma of their beer, not in a bad way of course. Some good hop scents come through with the malt and I get notes of fruit (light), grass, earthy and more fruit. The fruit is like a mix of orange, mango, apricot and pineapple, nice. The smell seems to grow on me as I drink more, rather than fade away.

T- Follows suit of the smell. The malt has a nice backbone to the hops. It is lighter malt with some caramel added in. The hops are once again fruity, grassy and earthy with some citrus peel notes in there as well. This beer has a great malt and hop profile and it deserves attention. The hops remind me of some of the best IPAs I have had but are a bit more subtle and allow the malt to come through, this is really cool. It allows the beer to be more refreshing in a way. The bitterness level is pretty low and caps off a great tasting ale.

MF- Mouthfeel is good. The body is on the light end but is creamy rather than watery. The carbonation is at a medium level and just stings the tongue enough like it should. A coat of hops and light malt sticks around on the tongue for quite some time, as well as the bitters. The 7.10% ABV does not make any appearance in this one.

DB- Could be one of the better session beers I have tried. The price was great, the flavor was great and the ABV doesn't rear its head. The semi-subtle flavors allow the beer to take on a more refreshing feel. I gotta get a case of this stuff some time, great session beer.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a duvel tulip

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange hazzy sunset color with a big beautiful pillow honey comb colored head. Great lacing down the glass. This is perfection.

Smell: Smells bitter and hoppy. Grapefruit rind, lemon bitterness. Smells almost like honey nut cheerios but with an extreme grapefruity lemony bitterness.

Taste: Tastes very hop forward yet has a nice subtle malt backbone that saves the palate. Solid acidity with a sticky sweet hoppy bite, almost like sap covered pinecones on the finish. This makes a lot of DIPA's put to shame in its hoppiness and malty backbone.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, solid dryness on the back end. Overall an easy drinking, flavorful IPA that over delivers. This is boderline DIPA.

Drinkability: Regardless of ABv, this is one of a kind. This truly stands out in its class for IPAs. Distribution is limited on this one but if you can get your hands on it, get it.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a tulip pint glass from the bottle.

A - Nice deep copper color with a pretty thick and slightly tan head. The head dissolved slowly to a thick creamy layer leaving a little lacing behind.

S - I'm getting all sorts off stuff from the smell. At first sniff I can smell caramel and apple, and the definite scent of floral hops. After really concentrating I can actually smell the tangy scent of red wine and vinegar. The smell definitely makes my mouth water.

F - Very different from your average IPA. There's a nice hoppy kick the second it hits your tongue, but the flavor sort of drops out leaving a nice dry aftertaste where the alcohol lingers a bit. It's not as sweet as it smells by any means, but that's pretty common with IPAs in my experience. Even so, I can still get that faint hint of caramel in the middle. Very tasty.

M/D - Nice medium carbonation with a sort of oily texture. Very, very drinkable for an IPA. I could definitely pound a few of these with dinner.

All in all, this was a great beer. I remember trying this brew years ago when I first started introducing myself to beers that didn't have the word "Light" in the front and I remember hating it. My, how my taste has changed.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

At first sip, this seems like a great session beer. The heads a little lacking but it leaves ok bubbly curtain lacing. Pours a nice glowing copper-gold color, very inviting. I like the obscure fish label with the almost hunter orange on it, quite rustic. It just looks like it belongs on a camping or hunting trip

Smells a little weaker than it tastes, honestly. Some citrus from the hops and a bit of orange zest is mostly what I get from the nose. Faint smell of alcohol too

Crisp, clean, refreshing and understated. An exemplary american ipa with a little bit of caramel sweetness to it, good silky slick mouthfeel too.

Overall, its a damn good beer- I can't pick out many things I dislike per se, but somehow it leaves me wanting more (besides a 2nd glass) pick one up for yourself and decide, its definitely worth a go

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Two 12 oz bottles poured into my 22 oz glass mug.

This is my favorite session IPA. I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

Pours a very nice deep copper gold color. Very dense creamy slight off white head. The head stays there forever. Falls to a thick creamy cap on top of the beer. Leaves above average lacing.

The smell is fantastic. Almost smells like a Hopslam but a little more citrusy. Light malt in the backround. Faint aroma of alcohol. Very floral hops. Centennial if I'm not mistaken.

The taste is where it's at! Very very lovely hop flavor with a pinch of pale malt. Perfect bitterness. It's bitter but the flavor really makes the bitterness seem very faint. It's a hopheads session beer for sure. I could drink a sixer of this without any problem.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect. Very creamy. A little thin but not watery by any means. Medium carbonation. A swirl around the glass makes it even more creamy and build the head right back up. Just fantastic feel to this beer.

The drinkability is right where the taste is, which is perfect. I could drink this everyday for the rest of my life and would not complain. The only thing that stops me from drinking a case of this beer in a couple days is the 7% ABV which will make it's appearance after drinking 2 or 3 of them. A sixer is plenty and boy is it just a great beer! Bell's nailed this one.

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a hazy pale gold with an off-white head.

Smells of citrus, floral, and piney hops.

Taste is bitter hops upfront with a bready malt backbone. Quick transition to bitter grapefruit hops at the finish.

Light to medium body and well carbonated.

Easy to drink, but a bit heavy on the malt side and lacks the bitter hop punch I was expecting. Would make a good introduction to IPAs for someone not use to hoppy beers.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.