Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep, clear, golden color with an ambitious white head that leaves behing a sticky lacing. Aroma is dominated by citrus (lemon and orange notes) as well as pine, with a slight caramel aroma underneath it. Taste features a prominent hop bitterness to begin, but is balanced a slight caramel sweetness and a short finish. In all honesty, it seemed a bit watery, and the short finish, which makes it drinkable, undermines it.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Served from a cask/minikeg and poured into a

Appearance: A nice copper colour. Might have left the top open so the carbonation sucked. Im just going to give it the benefit of the doubt and rate it as I remember it before today.

Smell: Very nice, like a garden of fragrant flowers. Hop smell is completely dominant. Scent is very fresh and clean

Taste: Hophead's delight. Hoppy but not bitter to a fault. Gets better as you drink it, and you can taste lots of complexity. Very floral and

Mouthfeel: Carbonation peters out quickly (but might be a result of the minikeg incident) otherwise, its crisp, clean, and a solid mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Not very drinkable. Its nice to pour a pint or so, and then just sip on it for a while. Otherwise its a bit too strong and one dimensional with the hoppiness to really enjoy quickly or a number of times. Plus, its rather alcoholic...

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

A slightly hazy (but very clear for an unfiltered beer) light orange colour with a thick white head that leaves lace for days. Hoppy smell is present, and the citrus is very nice. As the beer warms the citrus becomes more and more prevalent, nudging the score up a slight bit. The taste is something to behold. I gave this the full 5 and i don't question that rating one bit. Grapefruit is noticeable right off the bat, and while many times you hear the term "hop bomb" used to describe the strong taste that we come to associate with a good IPA, this is more of a "hop delivery". Every sip brings more wonderful hops taste without ever being overly strong or too bitter. A perfect taste every time, that feels just right. Great feeling, not too carbonated, and the aftertaste is almost as delicious as the taste. If i could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be a serious contender. If i could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life, this would be the frontrunner by a large margin, like a Barack Obama to Al Sharpton margin

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

hops are floral aroma with hints of grapefruit, color of medium amber, opaque and hazy, nice off-white head, foamy with great lacing, lightly sour taste and a medium bitterness, nice malty flavor with perfect hops balance, medium body, soft carbonation, a long dry bitter finish

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This is a great brew! I have had it multiple times and decided to finally review it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a dogfish head snifter.

Pours pretty much the color of apple juice with a solid two fingers of head. Excellent lacing on the glass.

Smell-Hops! Very floral with a hint of grapefruit.

Taste- Not surprisingly HOPS! this is a class act IPA. Has a solid malt backbone.

Mouthfeel-hop oils and a nice carbonation

Drinkability-great beer to sit and drink a few 7% is there but manageable and the taste is sooo goood

I would be a happy man if my fridge was filled with this and some 90 min for the rest of my life. A solid, solid brew.

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

12-oz bottle. Slightly hazy golden color. Stiff ample white head that persisted for 15 minutes. Strong pleasant citrus aroma. Medium body with a creamier texture than I expected. Mild sweetness blending quickly into orange and then orange peel. Hoppy without being overpowering. Immensely drinkable. My favorite IPA. No, wait. My favorite beer, period. I continue to be impressed with the offerings from Bell's!

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

First off, I have to say, Bell's makes some great stuff. And I don't say that just because I'm a Michigan native. I dig the label, especially the Hemingway bit on the back. Nice touch. Would be nice if a freshness date was listed, however.

A - Pours a nice, golden hue with a thick, frothy white head. Has excellent cling, with literal sheets of foam the length of the glass. You can see the carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass, and the only downside is this beer is just as carbonated as it looks. Not nearly enough to discourage me, but you notice its there.

S - Extremely aromatic, and I love it. Absolutely fruity, filled with citrus. Grapefruit for sure. Just as much hoppiness to it as well. An excellent balance and an extremely exciting IPA. As you drink it down, you get a little more spice and herbal that really comes though. Great complexity.

T - Does not disappoint. Very slightly overcarbonated, but not bad at all. Grapefruit and citrus, as well as the hoppy bitterness. Hints of pine in the aftertaste. After having a few sips, you begin to get some biscuity undertones, especially in the aftertaste.

M - A bit chewy aftertaste, as with any IPA. Definite tastes of pine, malt, biscuit. The bitterness hangs around, but is pleasant. An amazing balance. It's beyond me how Todd can give this beer a mere 'C'! Bah!

D - VERY drinkable. A good ABV that lets you drink all night long. Not harsh, but the carbonation sure gives you a belch or two. A very complex and self-complimenting beer. Hands down a favorite, whatever the style of beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a perfect pint glass. Pours golden yellow color with a bubbly white head. Very good head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very floral and citrusy. Taste is citrusy up front with some pine and a nice long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a beer that I buy frequently, it's a great beer to take to parties or to have when you want a few. I consider this my go to IPA that I have readily available to me.

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Translucent amber color, sparse but active carbonation rising up from bottom of glass, and a tall, foamy, sexy head that shrunk to half its original size within a minute of being poured, leaving a patchy, sticky lace

Smell: Definitely some fruitiness to it, perhaps citrus; kind of a damp, musty, grassy smell, like when a pile of mown grass gets rained on in the spring

Taste: Slightly astringent center, but otherwise pretty well-balanced; piney hops at the forefront and some lavender/citrus planted firmly in the background; overall, not the most interesting IPA I've ever tasted, but there is something to say about its balance...

Mouthfeel: Quite a full-bodied IPA, at least from what I've tasted...full and smooth...a little more carbonated than I would prefer, but the carbonation tapers off considerably by the end of a glass

Drinkability: A pretty good IPA. Balance seemed to be more well maintained when it was colder-hops sort of fall flat as it warms up and its overall a bit less interesting. Good news is, the astringency also relaxes as the temperature increases. Not a great beer, but a good one. I'd quaff a couple with some Belgian fries...

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Bought a mini-keg of this at EV1, At a great deal for such a renowned beer.

Appearance- Clear with just a touch of haziness. Good head dissipates leaving glorious lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Almost a honey like in color.

Smell- Smells strongly of pine and hops. I can tell this is going to be intense.

Taste- In the interest of full disclosure I feel obligated to reveal that I'm not a huge IPA drinker. However this is clearly geared towards that audience. It's got a strong citrus-pine hop flavor throughout with an overpowering bitterness. This beer grew on me and I liked it much better the second night I had one. Not a bad beer but I wouldn't give it to my girlfriend to try.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and decent carbonation although the finish is a bit sticky and lingers longer than I'd like it to.

Drinkability- Nicht so gut. I can see myself having maybe two of these over the course of a long evening but for me is a beer to be enjoyed in small quantities.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a marigold yellow into a pint glass with a large white head and lacing that lined the glass

Smelled of biscuit malt, slight metallic tinge, grapefruit and pine

Tastes like biscuits, pine, citrus grapefruit and orange, very bitter, slight metallic flavor also. This is a not a perfectly 'balanced' ipa, but I dont think that was the point to begin with. At 7 percent, this is a nice American IPA. The end taste is a slight bitterness which might be from boiling too many IBUs into this beer. Seems to have a similar chalky taste as I have seen in other Bells beers, but it is definitely a tasty IPA and would be easy to keep these on hand.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

This review is from 10/19/09. Picked up from the wine and cheese place in St. Louis.
Color is golden straw, nice amount of bubbles, with a thick foamy egg white head which stood about an inch high.
Smells like sweetened grapefruit juice, citrusy hops, lemon, and just a little bit of fresh cut grass.
Tastes basically the same as it smells. Lots of grapefruit, citrus hops, with a decent addition of malt. At the end of the drink their is some bitterness.
Mouthfeel is slick and oily. Carbonation is perfect. Goes down well.
This beer is put together very well, and is one of my favorite ipa's. Price was not bad either! I would have this in my fridge at all times if possible.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

One of the best IPAs. Smell is almost all pine with floral bits. Taste is pine resin with a crisp floral/citrus hop finish. I love when my IPAs taste like drinking a pine forest, but this one is more than that. Somehow it manages to be very well balanced with all those hops in there. I love it.
My buddy says "It just smells like God's vagina!"

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Poured a hazy light copper color with about 1 1/2 fingers of sticky head. The head dissipated slightly, but still stuck around enough to leave some nice window pane lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Floral hops seem to dominate, but there is also a strong grapefruit like citrus in there.

Taste: A nice hop bitterness that is balanced out rather nicely with the same grapefruit sweetness that was present in the aroma. The bitterness lingers for awhile after every sip.

Mouthfeel: It's a bit sticky with a medium body. Great crisp finish.

Drinkability: Like I just mentioned the crisp finish and lingering bitterness just has me wanting more. I'm shocked at how fast I just finished my glass. ABV is low enough for this to be very session able.

Overall this seems to be a very nicely balanced IPA. I'm still new to the genre but it seems this is a great place to start. I haven't been let down by a Bell's brew yet. Definitely need to keep trying their stuff.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottled November 10th 2009

A: Poured a hazy, light golden brown, with an ivory colored head.

S: Definiteky smelling the three C's hops! Picking up some grapefruit and hints of both lemon and orange. Great hop aroma. Backing up the hop assault is a biscuit-like malt backbone.

T: The taste reflects the nose closely. I am picking up a solid amount of grapefruit tartiness, some lemon flavor and some orange peel as well. Solid. Love the flavor.

M: Light to medium bodied, high amount of hop resin, but the carbonation level is a tad high.

D: Give me more because this is a solid IPA when fresh!

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a clear dark straw color, but turns a hazy solid gold after the yeast is added (the only way to drink a Two Hearted). Beautiful ecru head lasts forever and produces thick, intricate lacing patterns down the entire length of the glass. The aroma is very distinctive and consists of citric C-hops, strawberry jam, and a honey-like sweetness.

The flavor is amazing. Orange and strawberry initially with a light toasty malt backing and bittersweet grapefruit finish. Lingering astringent bitterness keeps you coming back.

Two Hearted is medium-bodied and just slightly coats the mouth with oily hop goodness. Moderate alcohol level is hidden well, unlike many beers from Bell's. An infinitely-drinkable, well-balanced IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

My first review in a while. Here goes.

Pours a kind of pale color, still nice looking, crystal clear, until the last little bit of sediment falls in, then falls back out quickly. The head is massive, almost too big, but fits perfectly in my glass, almost an inch, maybe more, white and sticky, leaves lacing as it starts to collapse, lasts for a while. I can forgive the light color for the other nice aspects. The smell is very nice, just all centennial as far as I can smell. Flowers, resins, pollen, and a nice kick of lemon and tangerine. The malt provides a slight bready sweetness, but not sticky and bready like some. Great smell, though I might like a little more toasty malt. The taste is good, but it seems flatter on the hop front that the smell would suggest. I primarily get a light-bodies sweetness, with a strong bitterness with some slight floral, almost piney, leafiness. The fruit comes through a bit in the end, mangoes, oranges, a tiny bit of grapefruit, then it finishes with a very light, kind of sugary, though still containing some bitterness, malt body. The mouthfeel is just a bit thin. Not much breadiness, mostly some slightly sugar syrup kind of flavors. I would like a bit more. The carbonation is right on, a slight bite as it goes down. The ABV is a little higher than I'd like, though it's less apparent in the taste than I expected. Still, very enjoyable, one of the better IPAs out there, but there seems to be a bit of room for improvement.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Frothy head on top of a hazy orange body,
very rustic looking.

S: Great clean hop nose with hints of sweet hop
and alcohol.

T: Great hop bitterness paired with a sweet
balance of malts and alcohol. A bold citrus
flavor lingers but not in a undersireable way

M/D: Great carbonation with a sturdy body
neither syrupy nor thin. Fantastic with a
home made mozzarella and basil pizza.

An all around great beer. I drank this 1.23 gallon "party keg" of beer over five days and it never lost its carbonation. What a value when you can depend on the vessel to provide the proper carbonation. Great value!

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a lighter shade of golden amber, full frothy white head, good retention and lacing. Smell is of floral and citrus hops and biscuity malts. Taste brings the floral and citrus hops, adds a touch of pine. Bisuity and yeasty backbone. Smooth, medium bodied, clean aftertaste. Very good IPA with a nice hop profile and malt backbone.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color, thick bubbly head rest on top. Lace holds on to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Very pleasant nose. Plenty of pine, some orange and grapefruit.

Taste: This brew has more going on as it warms up. Piney hops, orange, grapefruit, touch of lemon, and a good amount of malt to keep it all even.

Mouthfeel: Felt thin to me. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Liked this beer alot. Taste and smells good, easy to drink.

Overall: Good beer, pick up a sixer and have at it. Let it warm up to get all the hidden flavors.

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

This is probably my favorite American IPA. I have tried a ton of IPA's lately, and this one just blew me away. The smell, the taste, the drinkability, the balance are all phenomenal! Two Hearted Ale is an damn good beer. Scratch that, GREAT beer. It's tastes very fresh in comparison to a lot of IPA's I've tried. If you're a fan of this beer style, you should definitely check this one out.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Golden in color with a nice two finger head. Tons of lacing are left on the glass. It smells like hops. Citrus, grass, and pine are all evident. The taste is alot of the same. There is also some grainy sweetness in the aftertaste to slightly compliment all the hops. The mouthfeel is lite but that adds to the drinkablilty. For such high alc it is very refreshing and I go back for many more.

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

-golden with a straight up white head

-good floral hops and not overdone at all

-nice bite up front, then the bitterness really opens up

-a bit on the dry side and a little harsh on the palate

-very drinkable. a good tasty beer overall. is an A on here for a reason

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked it up on a beer run while in PA. I loved it when I visited Chicago.

Pours a nice golden amber color. Not much head due to my gentle pour but plenty of lacing.

Smellls hoppy and citrusy! Yumm! Tiny bit of malt smell and it just reeks of freshness.

Tastes super hoppy but you can still make out the malt backbone. Incredibly well balanced and delicious. Has almost a creamy taste to it.

Mouthfeel is light and enjoyable. Not overly carbed or syrupy.

Drinkability is dangerous as it goes down quite easy. The ABV will prevent you from over indulging too much.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear plastic cup because I am too lazy to do my dishes.

A- Pours a dark gold copper with a huge fluffy white head.
S- Floral, grassy hops with a biscuity malt background.
T- Very sharp grassy and floral hops, almost a bit over the top and harsh. Biscuity maltiness at the end, followed by a lingering bitterness.
M- Very good, medium carbonation, coats the inside of the mouth very pleasantly. Little bit of alchohol warmth maybe?
D- An extremely drinkable IPA, you could drink this all night.

While not my first choice for an IPA due to the fact that I always find the hoppiness a little harsh, this is no doubt a solid IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.