Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Awesome IPA, nice story behind it too. As American IPA's get more and more popular, I think it's important to recognize this one as one of the early wave makers. Pours a wonderful sticking head, smells perfect, tastes reaaal nice. What is really weird, is flashing-back to my days of beer ignorance and trying this beer for the first time thinking what a bitter smelly beer! Now IPA's are my fav.

BeaBeerWife, Jan 30, 2008

Pours a light copper orange with thins foamy head that beautifully laces down the glass.

Smells of citrus hops with some light malt. Suprisingly clean aroma for an IPA. Tastes almost sweet, not tart like some IPAs. The citrusy hops bring out a more orange like flavor than the common grapefruit/piney flavor. Sweet malt compliments and makes this beer almost sessionable. Feels good, slightly thick. I only call this slightly thick because as easy as it is to drink I would excpect an almost watery lager like beer instead of an IPA at 7%.

I would get this beer again. Not the greatest IPA, but if I saw it on a menu or in the cooler I would put it in my choices.

Homerbag, Jan 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A. Ruby/brownwith thin head that leaves a lacing

S. orange wand grapefruit lead the citrusy smells

T. grapefruit and hoppy taste but not overpowering. dare i say, this may be a little smoother than the Nugget Nectar.

M. creamy with a little sharpness to it

D. Very drinkable. smooth and mild with great citrus flavors. Wasn't a big fan of IPA's before but they are difinitely growing on me and this is the best one yet by far

EGledhill, Jan 28, 2008

Honey orange hues with a fluffy white head. Aroma of orange zest and bubblegum. More of the same in flavor on a of soft malty backbone that straddles the line of dry and sweet. Medium body with a beautiful finish of delicate hops redolent of orange blossoms.

dedrinker, Jan 26, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Clear orange brownish color. One finger white frothy head.
S:Excellent fresh grapefruit. In the middles it smells like fresh cut grash. Very resiny. Just a touch of biscuit.
T:Light caramel fullness all throughout. Big citrusy creamy grapefruit hoppiness.
M:Rich fat bubbles give it an awesome round feeling. Very creamy
D:This is by far one of the most well balanced IPA's. I love this beer, I can sit down a drink a ton of this.

Scoobydank, Jan 24, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

dkeramaty, Jan 24, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

Squatchito, Jan 23, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper body with a large, foamy white head.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with notes of flowers, zesty citrus, and cooked pineapple rings.

Taste: Pale maltiness with a light touch of caramel sweetness. Fruity, even juicy citrus and pineapple flavors. Moderate bitterness and acidity. Crisp, relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine example of an IPA!

ChainGangGuy, Jan 22, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a snifter from a single 12 oz bottle bought at a local Whole Foods about 1 week ago. I have also had this on tap several times. Small head with minimal lacing. Not a lot of active carbonation. Turbid golden color that glows orange when held up to the light.

Smells of sweet citrus fruit - more of an orange rind than the more common grapefruit I pick up from IPAs. Some earthy, grainy malts. I'm picking up something a little of offputting that I can't quite describe(maybe oxidation).

Hops dominate the palate. Malts not very apparent. Dry finish. Hops don't linger.

Somewhat watery mouthfeel. Carbonation a little low from the bottle, but was more effervescent when I had it on tap.

I think overall an average IPA. This bottle may have been a little "off" judging by the low, inactive carbonation. I'm a fan of Bells (especially their Expedition Stout), but I was not very impressed with this beer even the several times I had it on tap. I'm surprised it ranks in the top 100. I have had many better IPAs.

elmore, Jan 22, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

got a few of these through a trade from another internet discussion board.

A - Poured it from a bottle into a pint galss. It was cloudy amber color. There was a very thick head and plenty of lacing.

S - Lots of citrus smell and very sweet also. Almost smelled like a hoppy pine car air freshener if that makes sense.

T - Same as the smell. Citrusy hops and sweet malt taste. Great aftertaste.

M - Nicely carbonated. Pretty dry.

D - I was sad to drink my last one because it will be a long time before I get any more. I wish I could drink this every day. I guess with my local selection I really can't complain though.

Overall a solid beer.

nbrown, Jan 21, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Muenchner for this delicious brew.

Pours a slightly hazy orange. Nice inch white head. Mouthfeel is deliciously oily. It's not a thick beer, but has a great texture.

Smells like citrus and floral hops. Less pine than most "hoppy" beers I try. Taste is truly outstanding. This is probably my new favorite IPA. The beer I think it probably reminds me the most of is 3Floyds Dreadnaught (my favorite DIPA). It's sweet, but has tons of hoppy bitterness to offset the malt and tropical fruits.

Very good.

Overlord, Jan 21, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks jay23
Bottle poured a nice clear golden yellow with a good two finger head

Incredible floral hops aromas along with citrus and pine

Another surprise to me that this beer was much sweeter than I expected more malt forward then the nice piney citric hops kick in

Clean light palate nice carbonation

Very drinkable, terrific IPA one of my tops so far

joepais, Jan 20, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Slightly hazy gold, decent head.

Smell: Citrus, lots of it.

Taste: Leans towards the hoppy side, but relatively balanced between a bready sweetness and citrus bitterness. Can get some astringency in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Pretty good, but for some reason I usually only drink one of these in a sitting.

Some people swear by Two Hearted, for some reason it doesn't always sit with me very well. I like hoppy beers and this fits the bill, plus brings along some sweetness, but just isn't one of my favorites. Seems to be a little better on tap than bottled.

Mdog, Jan 20, 2008

A - A beautiful amber pale ale. Very rich almost red.

S - Hoppy with very sweet undertones.

T - OH MY GOD> It is amazing. It is one of the sweetest hoppiest beers i have ever had. This is amazing.

M - A little syrupy for a IPA but very nice.

D - Could drink it all day and have. Great summer ale.

One of my favorites of all time.

slvrmon82, Jan 17, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +3%

On the lighter side of the IPA spectrum, but that's okay. Clear golden body with a thin head and decent amounts of lacing.

All Centennial hops here. That's alright because they are great for aroma and flavor as well as bittering.

The hops hit you first and foremost. They don't scream at you like some IPA's can, but the malt is just a a tad too muted for the style. It's there, though, if only faintly.

Mouthfeel is carbonated very well, but seems a touch thin. Real snappy, almost peppery finish. It seems like this beer is meant to be had a bit colder than most in the style as it's lightness in body is rather refreshing.

This is my favorite beer. I won't be one of those guys that give it all fives, because I know stylistically it's a bit light on the malt side of things, but if you're a hophead go out and get some.

bboven, Jan 16, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured an attractive orange/amber color with nice white head that hangs around a while and leaves good lacing. Aroma is piney and citrusy hoppiness. Flavor is beautiful balance of maltiness and hoppiness that again is piney and citrusy. Mouthfeel is perfect and drinkability is great. This is one fine IPA.

biggmike, Jan 16, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to limesmut for this one!

A: Slightly hazy amber with a 2 finger white head.

S: Nicely floral and aromatic. Slight toffee sweetness. Very nice.

T: Floral, piny hops. Definitely some grapefruit. Bit of a nice hop juiciness, with nice balance from a touch of caramel and toffee.

M: Just the right fullness with a good crisp finish and a nice lingering bitterness.

D: Extremely good.

Highly recommended. One of the best single IPAs I've had outside of California.

rallison, Jan 16, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Brown long neck bottle, no date, but what appears to eb a batch number.

A - Poured out a brilliant, slightly hazy, deep golden orange. It developed a moderate head that settled back down quickly.

S - Bright flowery hops and some malty sweetness.

T - Balanced bitterness and a malty sweetness

M - the hops are strong and upfront, but the malts provide a decent balance. Its almost as good an IPA as Stone's. The controlled carbonation and moderate body make this very approachable. Excellent with spicy food.

D - Very solid IPA. Not something to quaff in large quantities, but an excellent example of the style.

I'd recommend it.

Kreuger, Jan 16, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a heavenly American IPA. Excellent hop balance -- enough bitterness and hop presence to make it phenomenal, without overdoing it and sending it to the second-tier West Coast variety. This is definitely a top-tier ale not to be missed, among the best that Bell's brews.
It is complex enough to go with a variety of cuisine -- try with an artisan gourmet pizza.

drperm, Jan 15, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with pimpp, thanks for giving me the chance to try this very popular IPA from Bell's

Poured into my enormous Bell's one liter mug with a deep orange color that had a golden tint when held up to the light, soapy 1/2 white head that stuck around for about three minutes, decent retention, and some small amounts of lacing at the beginning

Smell was great, tons of different hop aromas, strong resin and floral scents, some sweet citrus as well, good amount of malt on the nose, large amounts of nice smelling hoppiness overall

Taste was nice with a dry hoppy flavor right off the bat that led to some pineapple and orange, followed by some more bitterness in the finish, this one got sweeter as it warmed and the citrus really started to overshadow some of the dryer hop variations, liked the way this tasted better colder, charcoal-like taste at first was good and small amount of malt complemented the hoppiness well, very nice india pale ale overall

Perfect amount of carbonation, the body seemed a little too thick for an IPA and could have probably passed for a DIPA, taste did not last very long either, pretty good mouthfeel overall

Could probably drink a six pack of this because it is very light on the stomach and it goes down easy, although the seven percent alcohol could really catch up to me, making me unsure about how good this could be as a session beer

This beer definitely deserves to be in the top one hundred, it is one of the better regularly available india pale ales out there, could definitely drink more of this in the future, the people that have access to the mini kegs of this are lucky, highly recommended

Floydster, Jan 14, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Moderate pour into a goblet produces a finger's width of coarse white head which fades to a thin collar and small island of foam within a minute or two. The beer is clear, slightly effervescent and a golden color tinged with orange.

Picking through the hoppy aroma, I find hints of lemon and orange, a bit of unidentified evergreen (pine, spruce?). There are no hints of malty counterbalance.

Hops... and not much else. As the beer hits the front of the tongue, there is no residual sweetness to balance the hops. This is a rather dry offering. As the beer moves toward the back of the tongue and throat, the bitterness shows up as a pleasant tingling. Aftertaste is dominated by floral hoppy notes.

The elevated hoppyness of this beer leads to a clean mouthfeel. This beer leaves less of a "hoppy scuz" on the tongue than some IPAs I've tried. I feel like I could still taste nuances in another non-IPA after this beer.

This is a smooth drinking beer, too high in alcohol to be a session beer, but not remarkable enough to spend an entire evening investigating its nuances.

Above average, a solid IPA, but not the earth-shattering experience some make it out to be.

ewright, Jan 13, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

*did not like would not buy*
app: orange ish, murky, not great looking, like bad cider.

smell: nice hops.. a lil bit of sharpnes, that i do not like. good malts in the nose as well. fruit snacks and citrus!

taste: water , then hops, but nice ones! then ICK, odd acid paint chemical back of the throat! it is mild, but its still there. there at all is to much! so sad.. all the other flavors are nice, its balanced and good, but acidic and nasty.

mf: refreshing and crisp but to frothy.

drinkable?? no

AndoBrew, Jan 09, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A - No date on the bottle, but I purchased the six-pack from my local store this morning, so it should still be fresh. Pours a very nice looking amber, with a pale golden two-finger head that slowly dissipates to a 3/4 finger cap which has excellent retention and leaves impressive lacing. I pulled this bottle from the fridge about 5 minutes before I poured it, to ensure it wasn't refrigerator-cold.

S - Mostly floral hops, with some citrus notes. A little pine? The scents were rather subtle overall, but I can tell this is going to be a hop-head's brew before I even taste it.

T - Distinctly hoppy, with a very crisp, bitter finish. Some citrus and pine notes, just like the nose promised. Perhaps the slightest hint of alcohol after the beer has warmed a bit more. Hoppy bitterness is offset by some caramel malts, and it's well-balanced. Long hoppy aftertaste - I drank one of these earlier this evening and I was still tasting a little hops a half-hour after the last sip.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation - doesn't feel forced at all. Moderate viscosity, but certainly not watery. Very smooth.

D - Quite bitter, which for an IPA is to be expected I suppose. I enjoy the bitterness, but my palate is usually ready for something else by the end of the bottle. That combined with 7.0% ABV ensures I usually only drink one of these in a sitting, and never more than two, so I feel that have to knock a point off here.

Overall - For hop-heads, this is a downright delicious, well-balanced beer. For people who aren't crazy about hops, you might want to steer in another direction.

association330, Jan 09, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This brew was recommended to me by HardTarget. He said "this is your new 'White Whale'". This was quite an awesome brew - I wish it was available in this area, it would easily make its way into my beer rotation and become a stand-by in my fridge. Thank you, HardTarget, it was an excellent recommendation, and a very unique IPA.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Appearance - It pours a hazy translucent golden orange. It created a 2 finger frothy white head that slowly dissipates. It never fully disappears and leaves a decent bit of lacing behind. The head retention is pretty amazing on this one.

Smell - The smell is pretty awesome. I get the standard IPA scents, but this one has a bit more as well. I can smell notes of grapefruit, lemon, slight pine, but overall it is very floral. There are also notes of mikans and tangerine which is tied closely with a sweetness that is fairly dominant in the scent.

Taste - The flavor is fantastic. I taste the same thing that I can smell in the scent. It is flowery, with notes of grapefruit, a hint of pine, and a decent bit of tangerine What I like about this beer is that is pretty balanced with the malt. There is a caramel sweetness that doesn't compete with or get overpowered by the hops - very balanced.

Mouthfeel - When I taste it, I can tell that this is an American IPA but it doesn't have that astringent, mouth tearing, palate destroying hop-slap-in-the-mouth feeling to it. It is velvety smooth with a light/medium body. The carbonation is fairly light, but it doesn't detract from the overall feel.

Drinkability - Very synergistic. Beer doesn't get more drinkable than this. If I could get this on a regular basis, I could easily drink a sixer to myself. This is an IPA I can could a ton of and still feel like my palate could handle another style of beer with no problem.

This brew was great. Go get some.

MiguelMandingo, Jan 09, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

xare, Jan 07, 2008
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.