Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a hazy straw color, the head is tremendous though, rocky and thick. Aroma is sweet malt, and HEAVY on the cascade hops. Flavor is sweetly hoppy... the malt has a nice sweetness to it that works well with the citrus hops, as well as just the plain ol' bitter hops. Woodsy and piny hops on the back end. Enjoyable beer.

dolemite77, Jan 11, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Revised. bot date 5/14/13. Consumed 6/22/13.

A: Lemony orange body is filled with a rush of macro bubbles. The head stands tall and proud at 2 fingers high with a dull weathered white color, some porous content and a great standing time.

S: Freshly squeezed lemons and oranges, floral scents and some pale grains.

T: The flavor is flowery citrus, slightly drying speak first, crisp pale malting that should not be forgotten. Most ipas tend to kill the palate with an abundance of speciality malts, thus forgetting what the P in IPA stands for. The malting is perfectly balanced with the hops, the sweetness is limited to a brief appearence upfront, no dry toasted caramel, here the pale malts show thier due respect, being crisp, bready, and let the hops come through in the finish.

M: Crisp, light bodied, sparkling and refreshing with a spicy bite of fresh citrus. Tingles off the tongue with a dry hop notice.

O: Overall had this several years ago before i started an appreciation, vocabulary and taste to define such remarkable greatness. Crisp, beautiful hopping that is not overpowering and begs for more easily breaking the outstanding barrier. Smooth, easily sessionable with a lingering hoppiness that goes on long after the beer is finished. Easy consumption.

beerthulhu, Jan 11, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Full disclosure: This is my favorite beer. Unfortunately this bottle is 2 months old which isn't too bad but I've found this one to be much better as fresh as possible. On-tap at the Eccentric Cafe is close to a religious experience.

A - Aggressive pour produces a frothy, off-white head of about one inch with pretty good retention. Some sticky lacing down the glass. Light burnt orange color and decent clarity.

S - Incredibly floral. Some citrus and sweet biscuity malt. I love the smell of this beer.

T - More floral and citrusy hops. The malt profile is light and never really stands out though I would say this beer is well-balanced.

M - Medium to full-bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very high. I love IPAs and a nice one like this that is packed with Centennial hops is right up my alley. Alcohol is 7% but that wouldn't (and hasn't) deterred me from drinking a sixer.

Unfortunately this one has not arrived in Chicago yet but having consumed tons of this stuff over the past few years I can recommend this to basically anyone who isn't totally turned off by hops. One of the best IPAs made period.

b3barron, Jan 11, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A - Pours a golden amber with a towering, creamy white head that lasts and lasts.

S - Grapefruit, resiny pine, sweet toffee. This is how an IPA should smell.

T - Somewhat biscuity malt with notes of caramel and loads of juicy grapefruit goodness. Pungent and zesty hop bitterness that lasts from start to long after the finish. Simple, clean, and delicious.

M - Slick, medium body.

D - Good enough that I bought a case.

Edit:
As I've enjoyed more of the case, I really think I need to adjust my scores for appearance and taste. Every bottle has had a luxurious head with excellent lacing. The taste is sublime - delightfully hoppy without being so overbearing that I can't enjoy two or three.

trbergman, Jan 11, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Huge foamy head that had good retention and lots of lacing. Rocky appearance. Golden amber color.

S - Vey floral. Sweet and citrusy.

T - Good. A pretty tame IPA but good for what it is. Fairly sweet and floral. Not very bitter. Slightly thicker mouthfeel than expected. Lots of floral flavors that remind me of scented soap (Dawn). Bad comparison but thats what I'm thinking

D - Very high. Toes the line between Pale Ale and IPA. A very quaffable IPA. You hear people talk about a sessionable IPA, this is it.

MarzenMan, Jan 11, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

A. A pale orange with fluffy white head. Not completely clear, but not completly hazy. Slight activity from bottom to top. Pretty sticky with nice lacing draping the side of my glass.

S. Very light, white grapes, a little bit of peach, grainy, dry hops, and some slight caramel. Too light in the nose. I wish there was more here, because the scents that come up and out are pretty good.

T. Tons of grain and malt tastes. Fairly dry hopped. Light caramel accents, and really sticky on the tongue. Some woody tastes are present as well. Its a little rough but its definitely what I was in the mood for.

CoolJosh, Jan 10, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into pint glass
Hazy golden wheat color- Big rocky cloud deck of clean, white foam
Fantastic perfume aroma of floral hops and juicy citrus
Taste- Big hops up front with orange rind and grapefruit juiciness close behind-a delicious finish that begs for another taste
If you dig IPA's or are a "hophead" this is a truly outstanding offering that will make you want to sit in a deck chair and stare out at a lake somewhere in Northern Michigan!
If you don't have everyday access to this beer it is definitely worth buying a case or two
Get some!!!

hosehead83, Jan 10, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked this up in Ohio on my way back from the HoF run. I had no idea that this was in the BA Top 100 for beers brewed in the United States but after having half of this, it's pretty obvious why. Not only is this one tasty and well-crafted beer, but it was good enough to both "sneak up on me", but also to make me wish that I had picked up another bottle or two. I haven't had an IPA in quite a long time since most of them tend to be hop bombs or caught up in an arms race for the taste buds. This is totally different than those, as it may be the mnost subtle and balanced IPA that I've ever had. Yes, you heard me right!

The pour for this was truly amazing - even better than SNPA, which has been my benchmark as long as I can remember. I've never (and I mean, never!) seen a beer whose head lasted as long as this. It filled up my pint glass about 90% of this was poured out and part of it remained in my glass more than 2/3 of my way through this. Needless to say, the accompanying lacing was long-lasting as well, and the beautifully luminescent goldenrod hue only added to this beer's allure. This had an opaque radiance to it and the bubbles were also a sight to behold - once again, as numerous and distinctive as those in SNPA, but even longer-lasting. The taste was the shocker...yes, there's floral hops here but there's an incredible balance with the busuity maltness that is almost too good to be true. This doesn't have a dry-hopped aftertaste to it like so many other IPA's tend to have. This is a bit more on the resin side of things - no citru or metallic notes here. Just a bit of lemon and waxy resin to back things up. Nothing overpowering!

7.00% ABV? Can this be? I'm not even feeling any alcohol as I drink this. It's there, but you'll have to look and sip hard to find it. This is perfect for the state in which it was brewed, since the summers there are a bit less harsh than those in most of the rest of the United States. I'm not sure where the two hearted reference ties in but it if it has anythign to do with the malt and hops, than this beer is more than worthy of it's moniker. Arguably the best IPA I've ever had!

JerzDevl2000, Jan 10, 2009

Color: hazy, light golded brown

Smell: light, crisp hops. light citrus

Taste: light citrus. slight lingering bitterness

Mouthfeel: tingles tip of tongue. low carbonation. leaves your mouth feeling slightly foamy (good thing!)

Notes: one of my favorite IPAs. definitely a default and a standard for measurement

Frosty80, Jan 10, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8%

Nice HUGE fluffy head pops out of this beer to settle into a small fluffy covering of the brew. Lots of citrus, and floral rise up out of the glass to start your taste buds a' tingling.

Nice flavor and smooth resin flavors. Nice beer, ever judged by a Pacific North Westerner. Very drinkable and up there with many of the other top notch IPAs from round these parts.

Dubbercody, Jan 09, 2009

A six pack of this beer was bought for me by a buddy during their stay in Michigan (big thanks Randy). Poured in to my new Cisco Brewery tulip glass a radiant gold, with about two fingers worth of white heading. Lots of small sediment can be seen floating around this beer if you look closely enough. Aroma is very floral, with hints of honeysuckle, a bit of garlic, and some citrus fruit thrown in the the mix. The floral part of it comes full swing in the flavor, with lots of lemon grass, earthy hops, bright citrus and oily resins. Body is about medium for an American IPA, just about right. The 7.00% ABV does not make itself known at all in the flavor. I am glad I finally got to try this one from Bells. It has a really spot on hop profile that you do not see in many IPAs on the East Coast. If I see this one at Extreme Beer Fest, I will be rushing over to grab some straight away. Cheers

jamie2dope, Jan 09, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a yellow-orange into my Sierra Nevada hop tulip, with tons of carbonation action and a finger-wide off-white head that has great retention throughout the tasting and leaves sheets of lacing on the glass. Aroma is strongly of piney hops, resembles the white pine Christmas tree I have yet to take down, with some breadiness and even a little bit of smoke. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, a little slippery and syrupy with well-balanced medium carbonation. Taste is like the nose, with piney hops, a lot of bready maltiness, nuts, and wood, finishes dry with good hop bitterness. Overall I this is a great brew and exactly what I expected for the style. Good balance in the taste, with hops that are not overly bitter. Drinkability is very good due to the good balance, and improves as it warms a bit and the flavors develop. Overall this is a great brew, very smooth, and I could definitely see myself picking up a sixer if the mood struck.

ljbrisson, Jan 09, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Opened 12 fl oz bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Poured a very low <1" head which dissipated into a thin layer of lace on the sides of glass and haze across top. Brew is a translucent light amber/amber brew with bubbles floating to top.

Hops and hop oils are the first thing that hit the nose. Nice herbal and earthy notes with slight hint of citrus/pineapple. Taste is not as hoppy as the smell, but very nice with tones of slight sweetness/malts. Finish is nice. Bubbles attack, but not in a harsh way. Very drinkable. I wish I had another.

mattster, Jan 08, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

The beer poured into a pint glass with a little less than 1 finger of head. It is a burnt orange color with a slight haze. Not much in the nose, a hit of hops and alcohol. The taste was initially bitter and piney before smoothing out with a little sweetness. The finish smooth, making it quite drinkable.

Could drink several in a sitting.

spmags, Jan 07, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Reviewed from notes from 12/30/08:

Beer poured into a pint glass. As I am used to West Coast IPA's, I immediately notice the color. It is much more orange than copper. It is much lighter than a Racer 5 or certainly Green Flash. It just doesn't look as full bodied as some of the other IPA's I have tried.

I find nothing noteworthy in the nose. A slight piney bitterness from the hops and the alcohol, but nothing much else going on here.

Taste is good. There is good balance between the malt and the hops. However, I prefer my IPAs a bit more hoppy. Conversely, the lack of overpowering hop bitterness makes this a VERY drinkable beer. It is crisp and refreshing and I could down numerous in a sitting.

In summary, this would be a solid session beer, but not a beer I would consider memorable in any way. I am sure I am biased, but I believe the CA IPA's (Racer, Green Flash and certainly Pliny) compare very favorably to the Two Hearted.

yeastsipper, Jan 05, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint, batch 8153 - this was a gusher

A - Pours a light golden color with a strong 1/4" head. Little hazing - well filtered. Head is very well retained.

S - Noticeable hop character - very potent. Piney and sweet - almost grapefruit. As if I rubbed a nice fresh packet of cascade together. There is one tone in here I'm not sure of - it almost seems like bleach. Yeah I know, scary.

T - All bitter up front - just in your face. Mid-stream develops some of the good hop flavors. Finishes with a much more sweet malt profile that balances out that bitter assault. The aftertaste has an interesting nutty quality to it. There are some phenolic tones to it that I would normally associate with a DIPA.

M - Thick and creamy. Full bodied. Carbonation is noticeable on the profile as well. Get a little bit of oily hop residue in the aftertaste.

D - Amazingly easy to drink. Very drinkable for the style - I find the ABV is almost invisible (dangerous) and the carbonation doesn't bother my stomach.

At the end of the day, I have to call this one an also-ran. Nothing here really distinguishes it from some of the other offerings out there. Not to rag on this beer - as I would love to have it in my regular rotation. Iowa is a beer wasteland as it relates to Bell's high point beer. I find it very similar to a DFH 60 minute, something I can get - good news I guess.

katan, Jan 03, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Rereviewed 3/15/10

Was shocked to find that my local pub had this on tap. Until recently, this place didn't even have the proper liquor license and served near-beer. Their taps have gotten significantly better in the past month and they had an extremely fresh keg of this on tap so out of other options I thought I would revisit this bad boy. It's been a while since I've had this, and while not fully appreciating it the first time around, I gave it a B+, 3.95.

Served in a pint glass, I was kind of shocked at how light this is. Clear and golden, with only a slight copper tint to it. A juicy off-white head sits on top with excellent retention and leaves some awesome lacing.

Any doubts I had about this actually being Two Hearted were laid to rest as soon as I took a whiff. Orange and grapefruit, tons and tons of citrus notes in this one. Wet and juicy hops are overflowing in this. I can't beleive I haven't had this in so long, this is amazing!

The taste is floral and citrus as well, but does manage to kick a piney bitter punch. Pale malts are subtle at best, in the background.

Mouthfeel is about medium body with a crisp carbonation and a lingering bitter bite. Drinkability is amazing.

Last time I had this was in bottles, but I have to say the fresh keg makes this thing expontially better on tap.

Mistofminn, Jan 03, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

I got to try this beer thanks to whiterascal.

the aroma is piney and citrusy. there is hints of grapefruit. there is a nice head on the pour with some good lacing all the way down the glass. The mouthfeel is smooth. you can taste some citrus and hops in the taste, and it has some bitterness in the end. i could drink this beer all night.

ottovon, Jan 03, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -8%

No best before date on bottle.

A: Aggressive pour into a Guinness glass yields huge 4 finger head that sticks around forever. Still a little bit left and I'm almost done the beer. Liquid is cloudy amber color that you'd expect from the style.

S: Excellent floral and citrusy notes from the hops. I could smell this beer as I was pouring it, with my head a good 2 feet from the glass.

T: I'm not a huge IPA fan or a "Hop Head" so I'm trying to review the taste based on the style and I'd say its a good outing here in terms of taste. Very floral and citrusy from beginning to end. Nice dry finish

M: Quite thick feel but not overly sticky. good carbonation

D: As I mentioned, I'm not a hop head so its hard to declare this one very drinkable,.. but I think I could probably have another one and not get too tired of it.

uno99, Jan 03, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

A - Pours a nice semi hazy golden copper color with a big fluffy off white head. I've got a solid amount of lacing down sides my glass.

S - Primarily hops. Floral, pine, grape fruit.

T - Strong hop flavors. Grassy, piney, grapefruit. Some balancing caramel and bready malt flavors but an enjoyable hoppy bitterness dominates the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied. Smooth but there's a nice prickly carbonation to it. Somewhat of a dry finish is present.

D - For 7% this is ridiculously drinkable. Overall this beer doesn't blow me away like I was hoping it would because it is highly regarded here on BA but it is still a good IPA. I think its strength is its drinkability. If there is such a think as a 7% abv session beer, this is it.

hellomcfly, Dec 31, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Served at the Downtowner in St. Paul, MN.

Batch #8796, bottled Oct. 22, 2008.

Pours from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It has a hazy copper-orange color with an inch of white head. It fades quickly but leaves a perfect sheet of lacing behind.

Aroma is great with a great amount of hops. Very pleasant.

Flavor is excellent and probably one of the best IPAs I can remember. Good balance but obviously weighted towards the hops. Great floral quality to hops.

Mouthfeel is good and what I would expect from an American IPA. Crisp and bitter with just enough sweetness.

Drinkability is very good, in fact, I orderd another just to make sure.

GilGarp, Dec 30, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

At the suggestion of everetends I did a side-by-side with Two Hearted and Sweetwater IPA. After enjoying Two Hearted immensely during a few days back in Richmond (most notably on tap at the Commercial Tap House) I figured it was time to give this another look. So let's have at it... Batch 8813 into Duvel tulip...

Bountiful 2-finger dulce de leche head with big bready qualities, a few muffin tunnels and exquisite lacing. Color is natural honey with slight white grapefruit (power of suggestion...imagine that!) tones. Some haze and steady carbonation; solid head retention. Barring a body that's a tinge on the light-colored side, almost looks like the best practice American IPA.

Mild citrus grapefruit tones gather strength with warmth. Some rind, more developing pulp and actually quite a bit of floral hop tones. The hop bitterness also adds a light pine texture towards what seems like a lighter malt profile than usual...maybe not the overly-viscous caramel tones we experience in some IPAs. Yet, the oiliness of the hops balances nicely.

So very light and clean, yet packed with flavor...bountiful yet soft citrus grapefruit hops with a touch of flora and hint of pine. Dry, lightly roasted pale/crystal-ish malt provides austere balance. Alcohol is buried in the woodshed out back. Surprisingly enough, gets more subtle with warmth...either than or the hop acidity has burned my taste buds.

Mouthfeel is solid and balanced - citrus tones actually tighten this one up a little bit. Finish is clean with no aftertaste...actually a little cleaner than expected.

As mentioned, I tried this one earlier this year and enjoyed it. Back in a sphere of availability in Virginia I tried it again...and loved it. Oh yeah...on tap it's virtually dangerous. Great just-shy-of-sessionable American IPA. Could drink this stuff all night long.
---

Original review 2/29/2008... A 4, S 4, T 4, M 4, D 4.5

Nice, extra-light bubble bath head with good lacing. Very light, honey-colored body - quite clear.

Nice floral and grassy hop qualities with a little "mash tun" scent to it. The raw power of the malt is very enjoyable.

Taste as advertised - well-balanced but powerful, tangy bitterness with "stewed" malt overtones. Alcohol is in the background.

Very good balance on the mouthfeel - not too light, not syrupy by any means.

This stuff is a pleasure to drink - maybe not quite a session effort but very close.

IBUnit63, Dec 30, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: a golden color with a foamy white head.

S: A citrus aroma

T: A long flavorful hops that ends in an infusion of citrus.

M: Moderately carbonated, which felt just about right.

D: I notice this was on tap last night, and thought why not try it after reading favorable mentions here. I trulyu enjoyed it, and am anxious to pick up some for home consumption.

xfactor9600, Dec 28, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Michigan native Shaun Hughey. Contrary to what the prior posters decreed, this is super sexy label art. As a matter of fact, everything about this beer is set up to turn a man on. If only it were available out here in ''Ahregone''!

Wackyfoot, Dec 28, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

A wild, foamy white head erupts from the golden yellow body featuring hints of orange hue through the cloudy body.

The aggressive aroma features floral hops, pine, and hints of citrus.

Abundant hop bite, grass notes, and again slight citrus hints highlight the flavor.

The refreshing light to medium body accompanies the generous carbonation and overall pleasant feel to this beer.

Excellent brew, nice hop punch, but nothing overwhelming. Quite refreshing and worth another visit.

CHADMC3, Dec 27, 2008
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.