Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this on tap the other night, and MAN was I surprised!
Came to me in a pint glass- thick frothy head aching to escape over the top of my glass. The pale golden amber liquid within quickly subsided and gave way to some fantastic lacing.
Smells incredibly hoppy and fruity. Some citrus aromas as well.
Delicious and malty, the hops creep up and add a significant amount of bitterness to this brew, without disturbing the balance. I could even detect some fruit flavoring...peaches and grapefruit.
This is one delightful IPA, I'll be looking for this again when I want a smooth, flavorful beer with a dry finish that is not overpowering.

MeLikeBeer, Jun 24, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Wow, just wow.

Pours a hazy dirty orange straw with tantalizing lacing and a smooth, bountiful head that dissipates suitably quickly.

The aroma on this beer is phenomenal. An orange-y, almost passion fruit sweetness hits the nose... not sickly sweet and overpowering, but pleasantly enticing.

The taste is something of a shock. The bitterness hits up front and rides a wave out as hits of orange and lemon with just a hint of malt... the hops seem citrusy with just a hint of flower in the nose. It finishes clean and dry, with a touch of sweetness that's canceled out. It's remarkably refreshing, and easy drinking.

No west coast hop bomb here, the body is light, and while there's some crisp carbonation the mouth is mainly smooth as silk.

I could, and feel the desire to, drink this all night long. There's not much more to an IPA I would want than this. Stone IPA has always been my stand-out favorite, even with such luminary brews as HopDevil and 60 Min. readily available... it's got competition now.

A pantheon level brew.

errantnight, Jun 21, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer is beautifully crafted to be one of the most tasty easy drinking IPAs I have had to date. Thanks to 'YBSober' for this beer.

Appearance: Pours a magnificent orange peach color with a huge head that lasts and lasts. Then heavy sheets of lacing decorate the glass.

Smell: Tons of fresh orange rinds. I cracked open the bottle and even before I poured the beer my wife asked (from across the room) "Is that an orange beer?" It is that bold in the initial orange citrus aroma. It settles to a perfect level of citric orange rind and sweet toasted malt.

Taste: If you have ever juiced your own oranges in a juicer you can peel off the top orange layer and leave the white rinds on the orange that you juice. It makes a more bold tart tasty fresh orange juice. This beer reminded me of that juice I used to make. My juicer is still in the attic from when we moved. I think it will stay there and I will get more of this Two Hearted Ale. Wow!

Mouthfeel: So remarkably smooth. A bit juicy with just a bit of a hop nibble keeping the medium/light body interesting.

Drinkability: Now that I have met this beer, buy stock in Bell's Brewery because I am on a quest for cases. I could drink this all day everyday. It really hits the spot and is remarkably easy to drink!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jun 20, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Damn the three-tiered distribution system! Years spent on the East Coast comparing West Coast v. East Coast IPAs can leave one oblivious to the delicious IPA offerings of the Midwest. While not as over-the-top as Three Floyd's Dreadnaught, Bell's Two Hearted Ale may just represent the perfectly balanced IPA.
Pours a lovely, light copper-orange with a substantial and unyielding head.
The aroma offers the first hints of conversion. Sublime intimations of citrus, from sweet orange to grapefruit to kaffir lime. A succulent, fruit sweetness lurks beneath the citrus. A hint of pininess, but not too much. All of this underscored by a delicate floral quality. Beautifully balanced.
The palate is more of the same. Good carbonation. Pleasant, floral, citrusy bitterness all the way through. Although the malt takes a backseat here, the beer has a very pleasant pale maltiness. A slightly bitter, floral finish.
The overall effect is borderline narcotic. This is the perfect midwestern IPA. An excellent choice for anytime and/or occasion.

jlannon, Jun 20, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

My mom and step dad had to go on a business trip to Michigan and asked me to house sit. I jokingly said "Sure, but you have to bring me back some local beer." To my suprise, when they arived back in town they had a 6 pack of this and a 6 pack of Lake Superior Special Ale... Go mom!

This one pours a clear golden orange. A small white head gives off some decent lacing.
Smells citrussy orange and a bit hoppy.
Tastes of good toasted malt and citrussy orange hops. I like the orange flavor so much more than some of the IPA's with a strong grapefruit taste. Good flavor.
This one is a good, malty, medium bodied brew. A nice ammount of carbonation. Bitterness on the back of the tounge. The flavor dristributes well throughout the palate.
This is a good drinkable beer.

BeerRun13, Jun 17, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. bottle with a label with a close up picture of a trout or some other trout like looking fish swimming up stream. The label looks like something that should have or was appeared on the cover of the fishing magazine Field and Stream. The back label has some information about the beer on the top, the Govt. warning in the middle, and a bin number at the bottom. Mine being 7252. I've had this beer a while in my possession and I finally get to drink it. It's a good thing that the beer itself is nothing like the label!

Appearance: When poured into a mug, the beer was a nice IPA color of copper/orange with a nice 1 inch head of white sticky foam. It had good retention leaving behind very a small amount of white rings and just a little sticky white lace around the mug.

Smell: They said on the back of the bottle was that it had "an incredibly floral hop aroma." Where I ask? It doesn't matter, but what I got instead was a nice aroma of piny hops, just a hint of citrus fruits, and a something else in the background that I just put my finger on. I know it's not the floral hops.

Taste: The best way I can describe the taste is that every flavor doesn't come separately, it came to me in one big flavor. What was in this jumble was the flavors of piny hops, citrus fruits, a trace of juicy fruits, and even some toasted malt was in here. Great Taste! Never had an IPA where all the flavors came to me all at once.

Mouthfeel: It was medium bodied, carbonated, very crisp, and with a nice piny hops aftertaste.

Drinkability: Although I only got a single of this, I wish I have gotten a six pack of this. An excellent beer that I'm glad I tried and will try again! A must IPA beer!

AltBock, Jun 15, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Clear amber color with a very white rocky head. Spotty, thick lacing with bib bubbles. Powerful perfumey, piney smell that screams, "Drink me!"

Flavor is like a muted version of the smell, and it builds in the mouth over the course of a bottle. I thought it was piney but too weak to start. But by the time I was hlaf-way through it seemed perfect.

It was kind of watery, and the carbonation a bit weak, but I'll be coming back for more Two Hearted Ale.

maundythirsty, Jun 15, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Hazy goldenrod. Topped with one fat finger of sticky head.

S: Sweet citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit. Gorgeous.

T/M: Well-balanced, spicy, sweet beer. Same sweet grapefruit notes with solid malt underneath. Thick and syrupy. Mmm.

D: Love to drink this. Great beer whether it's hot or cold out. Easy to session all night, and easy to find on tap in the area so it's possible to do so.

Notes: Greatest of the great midwestern IPAs. Seek it out. Enjoy it.

kdmorse, Jun 15, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

a - deep golden color, pretty cloudy, one inch dense white head that has good retention, nice lacing

s - very floral hop aroma, piney too, some citrus in there

t - slightly sweet and piney up front with the bitterness quickly developing after that to fill the whole mouth, the finish is long and bitter with notes of citrus

m - medium-bodied with ample, yet not overdone, carbonation, very crisp

d - the perfect session IPA in my book, I could drink this all night

Two Hearted is what I measure all other IPAs against. It's everything I look for in an IPA and a beer in general. I just wish I could get it regularly where I'm at.

WeisGuy, Jun 12, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Uh oh...foam is cascading out of the bottle after this one, also. I thought it was a fluke with the first one. No problem. Grab a towel and wipe it up, too. Never had that happen unless the beer had been shaken prior to opening. Oh well. Pours a slighlty hazy copper with a thick white head that leaves heavy lacing. Aroma is hoppy. Pine and citrus are dominant. The taste follows in the same direction. Very earthy with pine, citrus and some light, biscuity malts in there as well. Hops are the highlight, as expected, in this tasty brew. Medium body with nice carbonation and a dry, bitter finish.

Imstillthegman, Jun 11, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

I will always have a mild love affair with this beer.
Pours an amber/gold with thick puffed head.

smells of citrusy hop/pine/diacitle

tastes of hop/grapefruit.lemo zest/ and pine nuts, It's delicious!

could drink all day if it werent so alcoholic! If you dont have it available, GET IT!

murrayswine, Jun 11, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -11%

A: Pours a copper body with a white head that stood around 11/2 fingers and quickly subsided to a film over the top of the beer.

S: Pine cone earthy hops aroma comes to the nose very defined.

T: Very similar to the smell. Which is wonderful, a nice hoppy taste that invades your taste buds. Leaves a crisp clean hoppy finish.

M: Decent body with an average amount of carbonation. Very crisp beer.

D: Very drinkable. Every time I have a Two Hearted Ale it makes me want another one.

cproioi, Jun 10, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

P: 12 oz bottle with a fish on it
A: Hazy orange, nice thick head with lace
S: Citrus hop, a little cheddar
T/M: Nicely balanced, hops and malt are in harmony, good bitterness
M: Very nice, lingering aftertaste, but not unpleasant
D: Very drinkable, I could easily put down a few of these
Notes: This is a hell of an IPA and as the previous review noted, also a great value. Certainly not the best, but very good and true to style.

luvND, Jun 10, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Slightly hazy gold with an orange tinge to it. Head is small, white, foamy and slowly to diminish. Some light attractive lacing. Smell is of, no surprise, hops but with a nice biscuit-like malt balancing it out a bit. Lots of citrus and floral scents. Taste follows suit with the wonderful flavors and bitterness that are bold but do not overpower and shut out the moderate-light bready malt. It has a medium-long finish that is fairly sweet with a lingering dryness. It has a medium body, lightly oily texture, and moderate carbonation. This is a wonderful IPA that is a pleasure to drink and is definitely worth seeking out.

On-tap 5-17-07 - same as above for the most part, just better. 4.5's across the board

ski271, Jun 07, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3%

The appearance of this brew is "Noice Egyptian!" Color is gold and the beer is fairly clear. It is not crystal clear, its more of a murky clear. Pours with a beautiful creamy golden tinged white head. Lacing is excellent, head retention is also superb. One great looking beer.

The nose of this beer is quite appetizing. Big floral and citrus aroma. Hops dominate the aroma of this beer as is appropriate for this style.

Hop influence is apparent in this beer. Quite a bitter brew, very appropriate stylistically. Floral (and some citrus) characteristics are the backbone of this beer's flavor profile. The hop character is pronounced, don't get me wrong, but I would like to see a bit more hop flavor, I think that some stronger hop flavor might just add to this brew, or maybe my palate is off today. Aftertaste is dry, floral hops that linger in the mouth

Mouthfeel of this beer is also great, medium bodied with a dry finish that leaves you begging for more. Low carbonation, just enough to playfully dance the tongue and give rise to the realization that this is a carbonated beverage. This beer is a sipper, don't try to drain this quickly, what would be the good in that? As with all great beers it needs to be appreciated. Don't gulp this one down, sit, realx and enjoy the flavor of this great IPA. Definitely worth the money, will be buying this one again. However, Stone IPA is still my default.

becktone, Jun 07, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Two Hearted is a beautiful deep clear gold with a tinge of rusty brown. It's got a small head that fades, and the lacing is nice. The nose is all floral hops... not too complicated here. Taste is as expected heavy hops up front (not overdone), but with a nice amount of malts to balance it out, a surprising tiny hint of pine, and finally a slightly bitter finish. Excellent combination. Mouthfeel is very good, and drinkability on this one is high. No wonder it's one of Bell's more popular brews.

shivtim, Jun 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

I was very impressed the first time I had this beer. It is a nice, light, summer IPA. The color is a nice clear amber, with an even head. Upon first smelling it, your nose is overwhelmed with the scent of fresh, crisp hops. And that is pretty much how it tastes, very clean and jumping with fresh hop flavor. It is not one of the strongest IPA's when it comes to hops, and that's a good thing. There is a nice balance between the malts and the bittering and finishing hops. This is an IPA you could drink all night if you wanted to, and not feel as though you've been kissing a pine tree.

blodgetm, Jun 06, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Clear golden color with thick white foam. It smells just like an IPA should, lots of hops.

The flavor is all hops, kind of one-dimensional. I didn't find this near as good as Stone or Dogfishhead. It seems over-hyped on BA to me... I had it a few times last year and never rated it. I remembered not being overly impressed, but decided to try it one more time when I saw it was ranked #35 on BA.

I recommend skipping this beer.

TurdFurgison, Jun 04, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This may have just become my favorite IPA, I can't say for sure though. Will have to go back and try many IPA's again to compare. Could take years to evaluate and compile.

If your wife wants flowers get her a dozen of these. She won't be disappointed, unless she's a an incurable sentimentalist.

It has the full hop profile of something with a constant hop addition but it is still pretty clean. Sweet, fruity, floral nose. Great citrus, malt, floral and bitter note interplay in the flavor. A very interesting and satisfying beer.

Personally, I have never thought that an IPA could or should be balanced, but if any IPA is balanced then this is it. It has great full-spectrum bitterness akin to Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, but the way everything comes together here is just a bit more drinkable. This beer makes me feel safe.

xymyl, Jun 03, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bell's Two Hearted poured into a standard pint glass and purchased at Minnotti's in Westlake, OH.

The beer poured a nice orangish, deep gold with a finger plus of brilliant white head. The nose was straight, simple hops, and the flavor hoppy and extremely drinkable. This is a beer I could drink all night long, again and again, with an intense hop flavor and crisp, very clean finish.

edmundfitzoil, Jun 02, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Higly hoppy IPA.

An excellent brew. One of my favorite IPA'S. This beer on tap tastes so fresh it is like eating fresh hops whole. If you are a hop lover, Larry Bell did a nice job on the 2 hearted.

The two hearted name is derived from the two hearted river in michigans upper peninsula.

HellsBELLS24, Jun 01, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

I had this on tap at Old Chicago. This beer had a hazy amber/straw color and more head on tap then when I had it in the bottle. The hop aroma was very fruity with only a hint of pine. Two Hearted's taste is a burst of citrus hops that left me with a strange hint of pineapple. The mouthfeel was medium in body, and I swore I could almost feel the hops swishing between my teeth (not literally). Two Hearted Ale is beer I could drink endlessly on a nice summer day.

GregoryVII, May 31, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

i found this beer very drinkable and very fruity. the appearance is a bit cloudy due to the unpasturized nature, but that did not distract orm the taste. the taste was very pleasurable and i really enjoyed the fruity/hoppy balance. i would gladly pay money for this beer again.

roggae, May 30, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice label, but Bell's always seems to cheese it up with the copy on the back.
A: Golden amber in color with a very slightly off white head that retains as a semi-thin layer throughout. Good glass clinging lacing throughout.
S: Fresh hops with citrus peel notes and a slight citrus zest smell. Some biscuit notes and some floral scents in there as well as a slight herbal scent. The hop smell dominates the nose.
T: Well done hop flavors, slightly bitter. Tart citrus and floral notes that are offset by biscuity, sweet bread malts. The fresh hop flavors really win out here; however, the brew is balanced nicely. Some slight grass and herbal notes also.
MF: Slightly chewy and medium-light that finishes dry.
Overall: A really well done IPA. I put this up there at the top of my best IPAs list. A high quality brew that offers just about everything you look for in the style.

Illinick, May 30, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a hazy dark orange with a slight white head that fades quickly. The smell of this beer is original, like nothing else I have encountered. Full of fruity, not so much citrus as actual fruit smells and a great deal of hops. A full character just from the smell. The taste does not disappoint. I am not an avid IPA drinker but this one is tops in my book. A full body of flavors and characters revisiting the smells. I didn't like the overpowering carbonated feel, taking away from the mouthfeel and overall drinkability. I would recommend this brew to all IPA fans, this brew is better than most IPAs. Enjoy!

wingman14, May 29, 2006
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.