Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a thin (for an IPA), slightly cloudy, orangey amber. A huge head on this thing that just kept on growing.

S - Hoppy, with a big pine note. It's as if I opened a bottle of Pine*Sol.

T - I am enjoying thwe hops in this, but it is perhaps a bit more floral and less citrusy than other IPAs I have enjoyed.

M - Very thin, I understand this isn't an Imperial, but it too thin for an IPA. Something leads me to beileve they watered this down a bit.

D - It goes down well, keeps clean and has a considerably low ABV. A very easy drinker.

This is a good IPA, but not a great IPA. Perhaps I was expecting a bit more from this, but it seems that Bell's weakened it up to get it selling a bit better. I liked it, but I don't think I'll be getting it again.

Bumpon10s, Sep 12, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with 4 color logo of an illustration of a fish with a red and white border. "two hearted ale" in a red cheesy cooper-like font with white shrink and swell. an explanation of their ipa is printed on the back. no abv or freshness date displayed. there is the number 6957 printed in a white box on the bottom of the label- maybe a batch code?

appearance: pours a super hazy dark caramel and orange with yellow-orange highlights in a tulip glass. nice two finger fluffy white head with a slight yellow cast. i mean, this beer is crazy cloudy with the top being much darker than the bottom. small trails are dropping through the beer to the bottom of the glass that looks like the last seconds of a firework. i don't know how else to describe it. a little odd.

smell: lotsa citrusy hops. lemons and grapefruits and a nice pineapple aroma. a light piney aroma as well. some alcohol in the late nose.

taste: first sip is citrus with an almost electric hop bitterness. lots of grapefruit and lemons. piney hop burps. there's a yeasty bready flavor at the end of the sip. there's very little malt flavors but maybe a little caramel as the brew warms. not very balanced at all. this is an ipa, though. finishes a little dry with a bitter aftertaste.

mouthfeel: smooth light medium body but crisp. nice carbonation and a very good swallow.

drinkability: one of those beers where i'm almost done drinking before i can rate the drinkability. therefore, dangerously drinkable! very tasty and smells dreamy. the aftertaste also keeps you yearning for another sip...or another bottle.

overall: very nice ipa. i hate when the only thing that really hurts a beer is it's appearance. the aroma makes up for it however. highly recommended.

Px2GrafX, Sep 11, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

I'm just enjoying IPAs more and more these days. Two Hearted Ale is another fine example of Bell's offerings. Rich and complex, with enough alcohol strength that this cannot be session beer. Great foam head and carbonation, nice hop character. Not my favorite IPA, but will definitely purchase this one if I'm back in the Midwest.

Backer2004, Sep 07, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Friend brought this back from Wisconsin for me, first Bells offering i've tried.

Pours hazy light orange with a very fluffy, rocky head which never completely goes away and clumps down the glass. Smells of piny, floral, citrusy hops with a very slight funkiness to it. I like it. First up there's very soft bready malt then an incredibly full, round, lush(but not at all aggressive) orangy pine hop flavor takes over my mouth. Bready malts and a nice medium creamy mouthfeel support it throughout. An interplay of spicy hops and pale toasted malts linger on in the finish. This is really terrific. Such a round, full, yet subtle flavor. Drinkable to the end. Best IPA i've had yet; what it lacks in aggression is made up with its cunning subtlety. Sadly I only have one more bottle.

numenor1, Sep 06, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Two Hearted Ale has fine balance all the way through. In the aroma, the Centennial hops and sweet malt intertwine great. The bitterness is kept in check with a good malt back bone. It poured a hazy yellow-orange and a small off white head. The medium body makes this beer a staple beer in most households.

tjthresh, Aug 31, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out a hazy golden color with a large off-white head. Piney hop aroma. Juicy hop flavor. The hops are very strong and give this beer flavors of grapefruit, pine, and flowers. The finish is very spicy and bitter. Malt flavor comes through a bit, but is really dominated by the hops. Any hop fan will love this beer.

beveragecaptain, Aug 31, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

Every bit as good as everybody says it is, if not better! I'm a hophead, and this rocks!

Pale amber with a haze from slight amount of sediment I allowed to pour, not all of it or I wouldn't have been able to see through at all! Large frothy head filles the remainder of my pint glass then slowly dies to a creamy fil that sticks around and laces like none other. Lace is still there on the glass when I washed it about 14 hours later. Smell is hugely herbal and floral, reminfs me of my mother's gardens.

WOW, this tastes like I am drinking the air from a dead-cedar bog somewhere in the vicinity of Seney. Anybody know about "The Seney Stretch?" Open the windows next time you drive this 45 mile long dead-straight and flat peice of road, and you'll know the smell I mean! Herbal, floral, and a little piney, the hops overlay a slightly caramel and toasted malt. Leaves an aftertaste of herbal crisp hoppiness.

Moderate body definitely lets you know it's there without being too thick. Carbonation is light and dances on the tongue.

Spectacular brew! Makes me happy to live in Michigan!

sopor, Aug 30, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer has a resident spot in my beer fridge as well being a top pick while being bellied-up at the pub. I can't believe it's taken me this long to formally rate it.

Clear (if you don't swirl & pour in the sediment) golden amber color with a sticky booming light beige head. Globular lacing for days.

Resinous fresh hops and pineapple galore. Let's break it down; pine sap dipped in powdered sugar, dripping citrus twang and steaming sourdough bread scents.

Flavors are beyond fresh citrus, apricot, peaches & pineapple all entwined in a floral hop bouquet to die for. The malt backdrop is graceful and rounded - no sharp edges here.

Mouthfeel is prickly velvet. Nice bite served on a plush velour medium-full body. Fine carbonation at a moderate level. The finish is dry, sweet and goes on for days.

The drinkability? Are you kidding me? Definitely a beer to have "If I were stranded on a desert island".

This IPA is perfect. The most citrusy and well-placed malt profile I've ever had the pleasure to experience in an IPA. The hops are oily, fresh and uplifting - not at all husky or raw. Very smooth and graceful, but can throw the gloves off if needed. A soon-to-be Michigan legend. I vote this to be our state beer. A must try.

malty, Aug 28, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Pours a golden color with a nice size foamy head.

Smell: Has a very fruity smell. You can defiantly smell the hops.

Taste: At first a sweet malt taste graces the tongue and then the bitterness of the hops sets in. During all of this a slight citrus taste is also present on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: A very smooth beer with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer. Could be a session beer if you like this style of beer.

Once again a great job by the folks at Kalamazoo brewing. Keep up the great work!!!

bahumutx, Aug 27, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Big foamy head! No!!! Don't overflow. No, no, no, no. Phew, the pour was fine. Brownish orange in color, like clay-dirtied water. Some sediment floating around in there. Nose is full of light hops, but... Wow! Are they ever hidden once I tasted. Last time I homebrewed I had some extra whole hops and threw some in my mouth. Taste just like that. Very green and rich and vibrant and earthy. Feels like I am hiking in oregon again. Great balance with the malts too. Just enough sweetness to not allow the bitters to be overpowering. Just little bits of citrus rinds too. Do they also cask condition this ale? I wish, I surely wish... Mouthfeel is full bodied with a nice and dry finish. Actually drank it just slightly chilled and it tasted absolutely awesome.

MuddyFeet, Aug 22, 2005

We happened to be in Kalamazoo for a few days, and Bell's was recommended, so we tracked down the brew-pup and brewery-store - WHAT A HASSLE! After an hour of driving in circles, stopping and asking people on the streets (EVERYONE seemed to know where it was but were useless in giving helpful directions), we finally succeeded. It's near the downtown section, and none of the other places outside the city as shown on some maps etc. As a result, there wasn't enough time to stay for the pub, but we hit the store and bought a few cases-- including a case of Two-Hearted Ale.

It's rather hop-ish, typical of an IPA. If you're an IPA fan then you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit.

The basic consensus of our little group was mixed-- I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing I would seek out, again. Most of the others thought it was far too bitter. Of course they aren't much in the way of APA or IPA fans.

therica, Aug 20, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a model for the style. I usually look for a nice balance between hops and malts. This beer goes beyond striking a nice balance, instead blending the two flavors into a seamless, perfect marriage. Sweetness and bitterness, the perfect pair, with a tinge of citrus to mix things up.

The head is foamy and the mouthfeel soft and full, yet there's not a creaminess, which is a quality I often find distasteful in IPAs. The beer's ample lacing looks nice as it sticks to the glass after every lovely sip.

At 6%, this makes for a nice session beer. Its flavors will provide endless delights, yet will never overwhelm you as you drink glass after glass. Two hearts aren't enough to contain the love I feel for this beer.

GnomeKing, Aug 16, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer might be one of the greatest American IPAs ever created. Period. Midwest represent!

My beer poured a hazy amber color with a massive, pillow-like head. The beer left an amazing head and lacing all the way down the glass. What a beautiful sight.

The aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Smell wafted as soon as the cap was lifted off the bottle. Sort of a skunky grapefruit aroma... very funky and nice. I love it.

The taste was perfectly balanced, especially for the hophead. A little caramel, a little sugar sugar, and lots of hoppy ironfist punch to the palate thickness. I love it.

What a drinkable brew. You could go so far to call it slammable.

Without question, an American Classic. Nuff said.

Booya!

Sixpoint, Aug 16, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Pale golden yellow, nice, long-lasting eggshell head, very good lacing. Smell and taste are very hoppy: cirtusy, zesty, perfumey, herbally. Mouthfeel is amazingly creamy. I ate this with some spicy dirty rice and it complemented it great. Hops still aren't really my thing, but even so, this is a pretty tasty beer; I can only imagine that if you like hops as much as some people here, this beer could be your constant companion.

battlekow, Aug 15, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

My Bell's Two Hearted Ale was bottled on July 21, 2005 .. and it shows! As I pour this golden brew into a straight-sided pint glass, I can't help but notice the massive hop aroma; a pine forest full of aroma, accented by a little citrus. the carbonation seems good and the beer displays a good head of foam that settles to thin layer, leaving lacing down the sides of my glass. Love that hop aroma! As a homebrewer, I'm guessing that Bell's added a lot of Centennial hops late or after the boil. After smelling hops, I get to taste 'em and the resiny hop flavor nearly overcomes the presence of some good honey-ish malt and slightly toasted malt flavors. All of this leads to a big bitter finish. Perhaps not the most complex IPA, but when consumed this fresh this beer is a joyous hop explosion!

marcobrau, Aug 09, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Yellow-amber in color with a thin, dense foam of white bubbles. Aroma of citrus, piney hops, and something indeterminably sweet.

Crisp, piney hops complimented by lemon, some herbal phenols, and biscuity malt. Bitter, dry finish.

Very, very enjoyable. I think I'm going to get used to having this readily available to me now that I'm in Chicago...

RockyTopHeel, Aug 01, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

After a weekend of smallmouth fishing in Virginia I thought this beer would be appropriate with its river themed name. A thanks to felonious for this brew in BIF 19.

Poured with a huge white head that slowly worked its way down into mounds of pillowy foam. Body is apricot colored with quite a bit of haze...

Aroma is almost pure hops. Citrus mainly with a good bit of pine and some straw and caramel malt sweetness. Leads to an overall sweet floral aroma. I dont pick up much citrus in the taste however. Mainly an earthy, herbal hoppiness with pine and resin. Maybe a bit of citrus grapefruit toward the middle. A good malt character blends well to balance this brew.

Mouthfeel is relatively full with a good bit of carbonation. Drinkability is a highlight of this brew. Could easily be a fishin' beer any time of year, during hot weather to keep you cool or during the winter to liven the tastebuds while trying not to freeze.

blitz134, Aug 01, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

What else can be said that hasn't been said before? I acquired this beer in a trade and I was more than happy when I finally had my hands on one.

Good appearance. Orange colored with a fluffy white head that disappates fairly quickly. Average lacing on the glass. Great floral hop aroma with some spruce mixed in. Yup, you guessed it, it's got the taste to back it up too. Some citrus fruit can be tasted as well. Slightly oily mouthfeel. A very drinkable and extremely enjoyable IPA.

This is one of the best in the country folks. Awesome representation of the style. A very solid IPA. And the best part? I still have another bottle left!

Thanks to Dertbert for the bottle(s). You da man.

Jacobob10, Jul 28, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Had to re-review this beer, as the first time I had it, it was of questionable age after having sat in the Iowa Beer Cache for quite some time -- original score: 3.8. Now that this beer is available in the state of Iowa, I have gone through several cases of fresh Two Hearted. It has actually supplanted Alpha King as my go-to beer, at least for the time being.

The beer pours to a light golden color with a slight peachy haze. Nice white head, though it doesn't last or lace all that well. Decent carbonation. Doesn't look all too impressive, but rest assured, there is liquid gold in that glass.

The smell is great. Has a nice lemony zest on top of the grapefruity centennial hop aroma. Slight malty sweetness below.

The taste is great. Very well balanced for an IPA. Great hops flavor without too much bitterness. Very refreshing. Very drinkable. Not too sweet, not too bitter or dry.

The body is medium to full with a crisp carbonation. Another great beer from Bell's. Make sure to check the freshness of your sample via Bell's Batch # lookup on their website, lest ye be disappointed in your old beer such as I was the first time I tried it.

neonbrown82, Jul 25, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a cloudy orange with a tasty looking foamy peach-colored head, lots of suspended yeast, and some cool looking cascading carbonation. Super sweet and fruity hop aroma, can't wait. Damn, this doesn't disappoint, either. A tasty, sweet, doughy maltiness is present but is beaten severely by the copious hops. Highly herbal and lemony, the bitterness is matched by a good measure of sweetness. As the glass empties, a serious coating of lace is left cemented to the inside. The finish is dry and bitter, but not at all unpleasant. I've not usually been much of a hop head, but this was delicious and amazingly drinkable. None of the wack aftertaste and mouthfeel I've experienced with some APAs and IPAs. Easily my favorite IPA yet.

thechaacster, Jul 24, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

This sample thanks to TastyTaste.

Pours a hazy, lazy orange with a thick head that dissipates and leaves lacing on the glass. Lacing and I haven't even taken a sip. Awesome. Aroma is overly citrusy with a noseful of hops. A soft aroma much like sticking your nose into a bag of Centennials.Yummy and floral Taste is softly citrus with a pine/wood finish that leaves that distinct hop bitterness on the palate. Lingers Lingers. Excellent full carbonation. I really could make this a session ale. Drinkability is hight. I've gotten these on trades and via friends, so I have a high reviewing expectation and it doesn't disappoint.

twilight, Jul 21, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Let me begin by saying that this beer has moved into my top three I.P.A.'s of all time. From first to last sip, it is phenominal. Starts off pouring a hazy-orange nectar, with a full-sized head. Bubbles lace the concoction from bottom to top, actively flowing through the glass. The smell is dominated by citrus aromas, along with a slight floral hint. Citrus again is most prominent in the overall taste, along with a notable malty kick. This is not the world's hoppiest I.P.A., but does have a bit of a bite to it. The best way to describe it is smooth to the extreme. In mouthfeel, it is full, but not overly heavy. Its carbonation remains throughout and the citrus flavors that come along with initial sips hold well throughout. There is a slight bitterness at the end of each quaff, adding to its appeal. Overall, I would say that this is an excellent beer, whose complexity and smoothness make it one to experience regularly.

macpapi, Jul 21, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark orange color with amber hues, and a large off-white head. Smells of pineapples and floral hops. The taste is very fruity and lively with nice hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Overall, this is a great brew. Its taste doesn't get old, and its aroma is wonderful.

---
Edit 2/22/09: Over the years I have come to love the the taste and aroma of this beer, but hate the after effects. This beer more than any other I have ever drank leads to a very bad hangover. I mean I can't drink more than one without having a terrible headache all day long the day after.

KarlHungus, Jul 18, 2005
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Picked up this bottle on a recent trip to Cleveland.

Pours a hazy copper with a creamy ivory head. Lots of draping lace down the side of the glass. Smells of cirtusy hops and light fruity malt.

Taste is dominated by intense floral and citrusy hops. There's some light pale malt crispness in there but this brew is all about the hops. And while the beer may be unbalanced the hops flavors are nicely balanced with each other. Bitter and sweet citrus intertwined. Long lingering bitter aftertaste and crisp. Taste leaves you craving more. Good stuff.

ViveLaChouffe, Jul 12, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

My god - I'm so impressed I almost don't know where to begin...

The pour is very good - a bright golden color with a large, sticky off-white head. The head dies down to a small cap which leaves lots of lacing as you go through the glass...

The smell is quite hoppy - plenty of new mown grass and citrus in this one. A bit of toasted grain as well so it's not that one sided but it's primarily hops, hops and hops.

The taste is exquisite... I keep going back and forth between rating it 4.5 or 5.0 Since it's not completely perfect I'll give it a less than perfect score - but just barely (I wish there was a 4.75!) There's a pretty simple but honest malt base here - grain/fresh bread with a bit of sweetness. The hops are ever present and they are -huge- but more importantly they're not overpowering and it's incredibly smooth. When I'm disappointed by an IPA it's usually because the brewer seems to have thought "if I throw in too many hops, people will be impressed" leaving a very unbalanced brew. This, on the other hand, is an incredibly balanced brew - plenty of subtle, complex hops notes of citrus, herb and pine with a taste I don't quite recognize but there's no doubt it's a hop.

As if the taste wasn't good enough, the mouthfeel is complete perfection. Even with the billowy head there's still plenty of fine carbonation in the beer and it couldn't go down any smoother. The feel is somewhere between velvet and silk and it's all good. No oily residue. No bitter aftertaste. Very light feel. Amazing that it isn't on tap - I've never experienced a bottled brew that has this feel.

Drinkability is off the scale. I'm already checking Mapquest to find out how far to Kalamazoo Brewing (2288 miles) This is one outstanding beer.

[Many, many thanks to TikkiGodxxx for shipping this out West - I'm now officially hooked on trades!]

RedwoodGeorge, Jul 11, 2005
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.