Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Had on tap at Rustico in Alexandria, VA. Poured a nice amber with a two finger head. Good lacing.

The aroma was a nice blast of citrus peel and grapefruit. Some grassiness but without being too earthy.

This was one of the best tasting IPAs I have ever had. It was crisp, clean, and dry. The flavor was loaded with orange and lemon peel, pink grapefruit, and just a tad bit of sweet fruit. It has a nice but not intruding malt backbone to hold up the hop bitterness. The finish was just perfect. No astrigency at all. Crisp and clean and just a little dry.

Medium-bodied. Period.

If I could get this brew in Seattle, I would have this all the time. Very drinkable. The 7+% ABV keeps this from a 5 for drinkability.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%

Bells did not disappoint. Of course, when do they, really?

Appearance- This beer pours a slightly hazy orange-amber color. Nice, offwhite head which lasted through about half the glass.

Aroma- Can you say hops? Intense, floral, citrus, somewhat piney. Maybe centennial hops?

Taste- Intense hop bitterness in the front, balanced nicely as the beer moves over your tongue by nice malty sweetness. Hoppy? Yes... but balanced. No alcohol burn, which I expected a little bit of... I mean it is 7.1%

Mouthfeel- Almost creamy. Contrasted well with the hop bitterness. Smooth... nice

Drinkability- Well, I only knock it because I wouldn't enjoy drinking like a 6 pack of these in one session. The hops might overwork the tongue over such an extended session.

Conclusion- A very nice American Pale Ale. Another stellar offering from Bell's. A little pricy, but you pay for quality... which is what I've always gotten from Bells.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

See the beer in action over on my blog. Just copy and paste the address below into your browser.

Packaging

The dead looking fish on the front can somewhat turn me off from wanting to pick this beer up off the shelf. However, the colors are nice and classic with a nice looking design. The text is informative and attempts to be inspiring, but feels a bit to classic for me. Finding the ABV and that its an American IPA before picking it up helps me to decide that I'd like to try this beer.

Appearance

A deep golden hue with lots of carbonation comes off this beer instantly. The head is fluffy like a cloud and laces the glass for pretty much the length of the drinking session.

Smell

It starts hoppy, but slowly becomes a sweeter as time passes. Upon smelling it a few times I can really start to smell a yeasty fruitiness in my nose.

Taste

The first drink attacks my tongue with an intense army of little acids that are digging out my taste buds and kicking them around my mouth. After that initial drink, things calm down and balance out a little more. However, I am surprised by the amount of sweetness that carries throughout this beer. I can't pin point if its all malt of divided in half with the hops.

Mouthfeel

A medium bodied mouth feel. It definitely has some body and carbonation. It doesn't stick to the inside of my mouth, teeth or ribs at all. Very smooth.

Drinkability

Some people think I shouldn't "down" my beers and just enjoy them. I agree somewhat, but I feel being able to finish off a beer quickly is a good test of drinkability. That being said, I think this beer definitely can be finished off quickly if you need to leave or something, but I don't think its a beer I would drink all night long. It just has a bit to much apparent sweetness for my preference.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured a bright golden color with about 1 finger of white fluffy head.

There was a strong citrus scent, a bit bready, some floral notes.

The taste was citrus immediately, some grain, quite sweet with a somewhat bitter hop finish.

Light bodied, very smooth and very crisp, high in carbonation.

Pretty tasty beer, lots of flavor and very easy to drink. I had 3 of these before I realized it.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Slightly hazy gold pour with a small foamy off-white head. Strong caramel malt aroma with a pronounced note of grapefruit and other citrus fruits. Lots of piney, grapefruit hop flavor with a solid caramel malt background. Nice creamy medium body. One of my all time favorite stand-by's.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to hayesez for this bottle.

A- Pours an orange gold, clear, and white frothy head with little
lacing.

N- Citrus hops, with crisp bitterness

T- Very dry, citrus, pine hops, malt background.

M- Refreshing, but filling.

D- Very easy. A very good representation of the style and an easy drinking every day IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a nice orangish golden from the bottle into a tumbler. Head was ample, though it laced minimally. Smell was citrus in nature with a nice malt backbone. Taste was orangy and grapefruity with some bitterness. Malts played a strong part. Feel was average with a nice crispness. Overall a better than average Imperial Pale Ale.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Drinking this after a long jet-lagged week of work following a great trip to Japan the prior week. Pours hazy gold with poofy white head. Smells of biting floral and citrusy hops. Taste follows - fairly dry finish, but this definitely has some malt balance. Body and carbonation are medium. For an IPA, this is quite drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

I got this on-tap at D4, an irishy pub in Streeterville. I'm not a huge fan of IPAs, but since Bell's is a semi-local brewery, I thought I would give this one a try.

A - It has a very nice color. I'm colorblind, so don't expect me to describe, but it looked good to me.

S - The smell was slightly sweet, but not very strong.

T - At first, it tasted kind of weak. This is generally my impression of IPAs. After a few sips, though, the pungency of the hops really started to come through. By the time I finished the glass, I was enjoying it, but I didn't feel like there was a lot of complexity to the flavor, it just seemed to have one strong note.

M - No complaints here.

D - This was very drinkable, although it didn't leave me anxiously craving for more.

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip. This is a light caramel colored beer. The pour delivers a quarter inch head that dissolves into lacing after a couple minutes. The smell of this bear makes me eager to drink it. It's a combination of peach, apricot, and orange. The taste is a pretty well balanced. There is just enough malt sweetness to carry the hops that are pronounced but not too too bitter. This is a nice light (in color and mouthfeel) beer that will be great going into Spring. This is a very drinkable beverage that is suitable to both beginners to the style and expert connoisseurs.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

This is my Taj Majal of IPAs and I've been drinking this God for 6 years (and I am from Minnesota...AND YES I'VE HAD FURIOUS!). The opening of the bottle gives you the first sense of perfect hop/malt balance that awaits. As you pour into a "slightly" tilted glass, you see this clear ambrosia leak into your pint.
Let me put it this way, my first "fresh hopped beer", where you crush your own home grown hops into your favorite brew, was last fall with my first hops harvest and Two-Hearted. There was no other IPA that was worthy of my measly 2 ounces of hops!....and it was still the best brew I ever had...check out the pic.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a cloudy golden with a puff of white fluffy, fluffy head. Smell is out-of-this-world super sweet double-down sweet corn. Phenomenal. Candy-like, and the taste bears a repeat.. candy-like, a beer starburst, hoppy skittles now available in golden IPA flavor! Finish is smooth, then dry and fleeting. Drink again. A 6 pack to savor this beer a few separate times is recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

They had a firkin of this at the Black Sparrow, and as I am not made of stone I had to buy and consume several pints far too quickly.

Pours like hazy amber and honey (and at a temperature that was only slightly below ambient!). Smallish but retentive head, good lacing, blah blah you know what a cask IPA looks like.

Smells capital-S Smooth. Two Hearted is normally well balanced but this is just boffo: giant west coats hops were almost, like, fluffed up by a malt so smooth it was like bready whipped cream.

Tastes even better than it smells, since smoothness is one of those things that ain't conveyed too well through the olfactory sense. Hops are like flowers and grapefruit juice, the malt is like poundcake, together they combine into a well-balanced slurry of perfection.

I've said in the past that casks don't really impress me unless they're of thick stouts, but I think I'm going to have to amend that for exceptionally balanced IPAs. This isn't *quite* at the level of cask Masala Mama, but it's damn close.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this on the way through Michigan on our way to Sault St. Marie Canada and was ecstatic to find it.

A-Pours a clearish straw colour with minimal head.

S-Grapefruit hops with an almost apply crispness to it.

T-Nice hoppiness balanced out by a nice maltiness. Crisp finish.

M- Mouthfeel appropriate to it's abv.

D- The nicely balanced hoppiness makes this very drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

A- Pours a golden, deep straw color with a white finger-width head. Fairly clear, only sight turbidity, but given its an IPA, definitely not a serious hop haze.

S- Grapefruit rind followed by nice fruity esters. Not overpowering, but definitely note a hop spiciness.

T- Nice grapefruit with a slight malty finish, only to be followed up by a firm crisp bitterness.

M- Medium mouthfeel with appropriate amounts of carbonation.

D- Excellent drinkability. One that you could have a few of and not have your tastebuds numb from the amount of hops.

Overall- Very well-done IPA. Something that has great drinkability and is a nice IPA. Lacks the dank, earthy flavors that some enjoy; however, this one is a great example of the style and for an IPA is perfectly balanced with the malt coming through in the finish and working well with the overall bitterness.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

I got this in a trade. I'm sorry, I forget who, so I can't give credit.

Also, not realizing this was an IPA, this was in my cellar for a bit...I'll try not to let that ruin any perceptions on this beer if the beer is not to my usual IPA standards.

A - 12 oz bottle poured in my Delirium Tremens snifter. Pours a pale orange with about a finger width of head that dies down fairly quickly.

S - Smell is of sweet malts and some light tropical fruits...maybe some papaya. Nice, but not overbearing.

T - Nice mix of malts and hops. The hop flavor is very piney. The malts of a nice sweetness on the mid-palate while the pine taste lingers for a bit at the end. Good, not great. Alcohol flavor is hidden pretty dang well.

M - Light body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very sessionable beer. I could get used to this.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crisp looking golden orange. Two full fingers of head that give way to nice lacing down the glass.

S: As soon as I poured the beer the hops hit me. Sweet grapefruit and citrus hops.

T: Nice juicy grapefruit and orange hop flavor here. A fair amount of bitterness with a small sweet malt backbone. Very crisp and very drinkable.

M: Moderate carbonation. Hop bitterness lingers around nicely.

D: Very sessionable IPA. Wish we had access to this longer than the half year or so it's been in our state. My go to IPA in town alongside Sweetwater IPA.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

I was given this beer initially in a blind taste test of several commercial IPA's. This was head and shoulders above the rest. The beer pours fairly cloudy, but this hardly ever bothers me unless I'm pouring a pils or a Köslch or something similar.

The aroma was heaven. Expertly done, Centennial hops wafted up and had wonderful hints of citrus and only a slightly resiny American hop character. The aroma was not brash or crude, but artful and almost perfumey. Amongst the wonderful citrus were hints of malt that balanced very well.

The taste was very clean bitterness up front with a burst of that same citrusey hop character in the nose. Definitely balanced toward hops (and what self respecting American IPA isn't?), there was still enough subtle malt flavor to balance. Infinitely drinkable, I polished off my glass and looked up like Oliver Twist and whimpered, "please sir, can I have some more?". The hop flavor was amazing, not a "bash-you-over-the-head" type flavor, but a more like a 1960's Raquell Welch whispering in your ear "come here big boy and I'll show what hop character is all about...". Yes, it was that good.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. It's spectacular out of the bottle and even better on tap. If you happen to buy it in the bottle, don't sit on it, drink it promptly, it won't age well - really hoppy beers rarely do. Do not pass up an opportunity to try this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle on 8/10/09.

Pours hazy golden orange decent head. Beautiful lavender floral hops with a hint of lemon. Very refreshing lemon honey sweetness on the tongu. Then, and slow very mild bitter finish. Leaves a great sweet floral honey aftertaste on the tongue. Nice amount of activity on the tongue and a smooth medium body. Absolutely amazing for the ABV and so incredibly refreshing.

3.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a beautiful hazy dark golden color, capped off with a rocky white head. Looks beautiful in the Bell's tulip; very inviting. Mildly hoppy aroma, some apricot, orange. Taking the first drink I notice a bit of hoppiness, some citrus, and a bit of malt. Dangerously drinkable at 7%, not up to the level of the some of the West Coast hop bombs.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Hazy bronze in color with a huge fluffy, bubbly head that lasts.

Flowers, spices, pepper and citrus (orange?) in the nose makes you want to take a gulp.

Flowery hops and citrus dominate the taste.

The feel is subtle, not the biting of hops like an IPA. It starts off gentle, almost sweet from the citrus before giving way to a peppery bite in the finish.

Can't wait for another.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A- beers pours a hazy golden color with a nice white head that settles to leave way to some decent lacing.

S- hoppy aroma with tropical and citrus fruit aromas. also some grassiness can be picked up as well as the sweet malty backbone of the beer.

T-Same hoppy characteristics of the nose. tropical and citrus fruits play the main role while the maltiness of the beer takes a back seat

M/D medium bodied and good carbonation for this style of beer. good drinkability.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

A-This beer pours a hazy golden color with a respectable head and lacing as it subsides.
S-Strong citrus fruits and hops are immediately evident leaving the sensation of smelling tropical flowers.
T-Very crisp and clean taste and a refreshing flavor of the fruit and hops.
M-Moderate carbonation and minimal bitterness made this beer a treat to drink.
D-This is a nice light tasting beer with flavors that do not overpower you and would be great on a summer's evening on the patio.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Big props to Rempo for unexpectedly hooking this up. Thanks Mark, you're the man.

Look: Clear golden body with a generous cloud-like head. Very beautiful lacing, all the way down.

Smell: Citrus hops right up front. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange and lemon. Floral and bitter pine hops are noticed aswell.

Taste: Delicious hops all around. Just as the nose predicted. The malt is in there too which leaves this really well balanced. Floral and fruity, its really nice tasting.

Mouth/Drink: Medium bodied, smooth and crisp. Its perfect. Drinkablity? As good as it gets. I wish this was available to me, I'd drink it all day (well.. night)!

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear orange. Half inch of white head, dissipates slowly to a thin ring, with some lacing.

S - Wonderful smell with citrus and floral hops dominating, and some balancing bready malts as it warms.

T - Biscuity malts up front with floral and citrus/ grapefruit hops in the finish.

M - Medium to light body, medium carbonation. Sticky finish with subtle hops lingering in the back of the throat well after the finish.

D - A very well balanced, tasty IPA. I'd give it a higher drinkability score, but the 7% abv catches up to you quick. Otherwise, I'd drink it all night.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.