Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,679 | Reviews: 3,424
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Received from jimbowood in a trade, thanks again.

Served chilled and poured into my Padres pint glass.

Appearance is good. Hazy light-bronze colored brew with a very nice clumpy head that leaves a lot of lacing as it dies down.

Smell is good. Grapefruit and bittering hops and sweet malts. Very citrusy smell. I like.

Taste is very good. Pink grapefruit, tangarine with a nice fat, oily, hoppy bitterness. Nothing too bitter though; extremely balanced and crafted almost perfectly. Awesome blend of bitterness and sweetness. Reminds me of another favorite; Alesmith IPA.

Mouthfeel is very good. Thick and chewy (for the style) on the palet with fantastic texture. Love bottle conditioned beers.

Drinkability is very good. I can kill a sixer of this stuff quite easily me thinks.

Overall:
An awesome IPA that deserves all the hype. East coast brewery, west coast taste. Gotta love it.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Mad props to BARLEYWINEO for this one!

Pours an ever-so slightlty hazed amber with 4+ fingers of fluffed up eggshel white head. Very good head retention & good lacing

S: Big time citrus & piney hops, plus some breadyness

T: Big-time breadyness & grapefruitty hops up front. More grapefruit & orangey hops as this warms. Nice breadyness, with a hint of brown, sugar, booze & loads of citrussy & piney/resiny hops, yummy!!

MF: Rich, chewy medium-bodied with perfrect balance

Super AIPA, too drinkable, this is one that lives up to the hype IMO. I like my IPAs to have malt to back up the hops & this one comes through with flying colors!

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap pours a beautiful golden orange with a smallish white head. Citrus pine aromas dominate the smell. Beautifully balanced combination of sweet malt with an understated hop bitterness in the flavor. Silky smooth mouthfeel. A wonderful example of a session IPA with very high marks for drinkability. My first Bell's beer, but it certainly won't be my last.
On tap at Howard's Pub 11/27/09
Simply outstanding. The most citrus in an IPA I've ever encountered. Like eating an orange with peel attached.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

This is the one I was waiting for from the "Summer Beers - International Collection of Specially Selected World Class Beers- 8 Pack" delivered by Brandy. 12 oz bottle with a greenish label and picture of a fish (as pictured above).
Pours a deep golden color, thick cap of foam that has very good retention and thin lacey streams. Lots of hop aromas, this is an IPA (sorry Alexander Keith). Fresh grapefruit and pine and spiciness. A solid tasting beer, sweet pale malt under a great hop punch. It tastes perfectly balanced, full bodied, hoppy, has everything going for it. The mouthfeel is smooth with a good amount of carbonation to keep it slightly dry and refreshing. Great flavor, not so much hops that you can't taste anything else. Very nice example of the style.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer is amazing. Pours a burnt orange yellow color with half an inch of head, which dissipates quickly. The smell is hoppy with a touch of floral, spice and orange. Very gentle nose. Starts a little sweeter than your standard IPA which I like. It transitions slowly to a medium hop bitterness in the end. Very nice balance and more drinkable than most other IPAs. In fact, I think this IPA has better drinkability than Dogfishhead 60min. That says a lot being that Dogfish IPA is one of my absolute favorite beers period.

A - Light golden orange color. One finger of head when poured that dissipates quickly.

S - Spicy hop aroma, slight citrus behind that.

T - Almost the same as the smell. Some IPAs go for the big citrus hop flavor, but this one really seems to lean on the spicier side of hops, and it works out really well. There is some citrus in there, more orange the grapefruit, but it's on the smaller side.

M - Medium thickness, slight tingle from the CO2. It only leaves you with a little of the hop bitterness, and for an IPA I'll call it "clean" in that sense.

D - What a great beer all around. I've had IPA's at twice the price that were not this good. A great IPA to knock a few back in. Makes me think of warm weather. Well done Bells.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Wow!
Poured hazy orange-yellow with a smooth ivory head.
As floral as it is tropical.
Taste is distinctive and delicious. Unmistakably unique to Bell's. Really nice and hoppy but balanced by sweet malts.
Feels like an IPA, through and through. Medium to full with low carbonation.
Drinkability is top-notch and potentially dangerous. That distinctive taste really doesn't get old. It gets better and better. Why try any other IPAs when this one is likely to be better?

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

This beer poured a cloudy yellow/orange color with a huge head. Wow! The aroma is robust – first of hops then citrus and malt noticeable. The taste is initially bitter from hops, but the sweet malt follows quickly; creating a nice balance. The mouthfeel is full bodied. This beer smells wonderful and the flavors follow that lead – very drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a medium amber color with average size head. This beer has a great depth of flavor, because the hops are backed up by enough malt to balance it out. It is medium to full bodied, but not heavy. I thought overall this beer was very drinkable and all of its flavors were in harmony: I can't wait to get some more of this!

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Pours a small off white head, quickly disapates. The color was a orange/amber the beer is so hazy that the color looks darker than it really is. The nose had a strong pine scent with apricots and sweetgrass. The carbonation was high and the beer tasted fresh.
The first sip is a onslaught of prickly hops and fresh apricots then a soft caramel malt slides in to rescue your palate. The finish is dry with a hint of peacans and fig. The beer is so well balanced that is gives a nice creamy mouthfeel.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to tdp975 for this bad boy! I’ve been wanting to try this beer for quite a while. Poured the 12oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. Drank on 7/28/2007.

Appearance- Pours an effervescent honey orange with a big creamy off-white head. The fluffy goodness stays almost the entire beer leaving thick lacing down the glass. A very very attractive beer.
Smell- Very Citrusy. Lot’s of earthy grapefruit and lemongrass really shine here. The fruit almost seems to burst out of my glass.
Taste- Much like the nose, there is a big citrus kick of hops. A nice grapefruit bitterness that leaves an almost floral sensation on the palette. There is a hint of malty sweetness that helps balance the beer but still allows the big hop punch to come through. Slight alcohol warming from the 7% but like everything else in this beer, fits nicely.
Mouthfeel- Lots of fine carbonation that gently tickles the tongue. Medium to heavy body that adds a nice slick creamyness to the feel.
Drinkability- Excellent! This is an absolutely delicious brew that I wish I had access to. As a session beer, the ABV and slight heaviness to it may hinder it slightly but that’s the only negative. This is one of the tastiest IPA I’ve had in a long time and would highly recommend it. Thanks again tdp975!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

As a beer lover I wish I had the writing ability to creatively rate and review a beer like a lot of critics do (just not that fluent of a writer) This beer is deserving of that praise.

This was one of those beers you'd never seen in the Tampa, Florida market without trying to look for it, except in speciality stores. After trying it, what a great beer! I am colored blind, so that hurts me when I rate appearance! My sister and I were playing a game of pool (the exceptional beer tasting environment) when we tried this. It's got a nice "kick" from the 7% ABV, but not where it overpowers the flavor. Great "drinkablility", that's to say it tastes great. No bad after taste and it leaves you wanting to order another one, and probably another ater that. This is one beer you really have to try.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

A special thanks to markgugs for throwing this in as an extra.

Now I know why everyone raves about this beer. The previous time I tried it the bottles must have been old because this one tasted so much fresher and hoppy than before. The hops taste to me is very similar to Stone IPA but with a bit of added citrus character. There is a mildly juicy feel to it, making it very tasty. This definitely has a hop explosion. I must have been very generous last time to even give it a 4.0 for taste.

Ratings upgraded to 4/4.5/4.5/4/4

___
Many thanks to umustdrink for this beer.

Pours a rich golden color with a pretty nice white fluffy and bubbly head. The smell is actually quite hard to detect. You can get some hops, but not the pungent type of hop aroma I'm use to here in Southern California. The taste is nice for an IPA- sweet malts and citrus mix at the beginning and give way to a refreshing bitterness that you want from an IPA. This is a pretty easy drinker. I like IPA's hoppy so this doesn't fully meet my demands but it was a nice beer anyway.
4/3.5/4/4/4

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into my pint glass from the brown bottle (there was a code....but I could not decipher it: "7992"). I could not tell anything about the freshness of this beer.

The pour produced an immedeate 2" loose head that settled down to about 1/2" prior to consuming. The liquid is a hazy honey color... interesting....hazy.

The smell.... hoppy....a citric hoppiness with some pine sap mixed in.

The taste: NOW.... THAT's what I'm talking about! Great citrusy/hoppy flavor with a hint of a sour fruity complexity and a touch of an alcohol warmth (makes sense for 7% abv).

Mouthfeel: This is my American IPA of reference.... more robust and hoppy than, say, Harpoon IPA.... I like this beer. Carbonation on the light side.... good... VERY Robust!

Drinkability: Good beer for you hop heads (and you know who you are!). Not for the faint of heart.... but a great American IPA. The Bier Band HIGHLY recommends this to any "experienced beer drinker". A BMC lover would HATE this stuff

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

On draft at my sister-in-laws wedding

Appearance: Pours a deep orangish amber with an offwhite head (maybe 1-2 inches). Head quickly fades with some sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma: My favorite part of this beer. Aromas of fresh herbal hops some citrus, some pine. A balance of several hop varieties. Each playing off each other to give a depth of aroma that keeps you guessing.

Taste: This is an American IPA. Rich full malt with powerful hops. Grapefruit citrus. Cascades hops.By style guidelines its probably on the edge of double IPA with the amount of hop bitterness and flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Full bodied but not thick. Smooth and balanced although very bitter.

Drinkability: If I lived closer to MI or even in a state that sold this, I would drink this every day. Its my favorite Bells and its in the top 5 for favorite American IPA's. Smooth balanced and worth drinking every day.

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i was really looking forward to this beer. this is the first from Bells that i have tried. poured nice with a nice head and carbonation. nice lace on the glass.

smelled pleasant. fruity with nice hop smell. the taste was a let down. not a bad taste but not as full of taste as the smell led me to believe.

this beer is drinkable. i have four of the six left so i will sample again in a few days. i doubt if i will change my review but we shall see.

decent choice but not a top ten IPA for me.

suckem up and movem out.
giblet

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Copper colored with a lot of pure white head. Good clarity, though one has to be careful not to disturb the sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

S - Citrusy, fresh hop aroma. A bit of spicy, meaty smell as well, maby a small degree of autolysis. Took me a long time to identify the last aroma note, it reminded me of Thai food... I finally decided that I can smell a little bit of basil (that is so unusual it is worth another .5 points).

T - Spicy malty and very hoppy. More spicy, phenolic character than citrus elements.

M - Pretty mouthcoating but the hopping rate makes it finish fairly dry and astringent.

D - Very good drinkable IPA. Fairly high bitterness, but I still wish I had another one of these. The only flaw is the hazey, chunky appearance, but I can live with that. Easily one of the best IPAs I have had in a bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Light orange-gold with a monsterous three-finger, large bubbled head.

Aroma is huge with fresh pine boughs, grapefruit, oranges, lemon, sweet bready malt.

Taste is an almost perfect equilibrium, earning a 5.0 for drinkability. Hops run to delicate lemon like sugar-coated christmas gelatin candies, heady phantom floral notes, touches of pine and grapefruit. A light, moussey candy sweetness and mouthfeel offsets the hops with a bit of herbal, earthy flavor.

Not the boldest IPA, nor the most bitter, nor the hoppiest. But it is superbly balanced within the style.... perhaps the best balance of any American IPA I've sampled.

Big thanks to ohmybock for trading a beer I've wanted to try for quite some time.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Another beer I have enjoyed for a while but never reviewed.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Hazy orange-amber color illuminates, thick three finger head, with moderate lacing.

Pungent floral-citrus aroma - orange, grapefuit with some lemon with a gritty malt finish.

The key word with this AIPA is balance. With it comes the firm hop kick, the resin and malt follow through, and rounded out with a mild bitterness. A hop head's paradise with the dry and puckery feel.

A great AIPA that you could drink for hours. The biggest problem I am having is pacing myself since this beer tastes so good. The 7% keeps you on your toes. It also goes well with my Mexican style food and wonderful summer weather.

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a Bell's logo pint glass.Peach colored with a white fizzy head that fades fairly quickly. Smell is grassy with citrus notes. Taste is nice bready slightly nutty body with some serious citrus notes. Grapefruit, orange with slightly sweet malty base. Hops are well balanced and coat the palate for a great lingering aftertaste. This is my favorite IPA. The carbonation, hop balance, slight sweetness are really in perfect harmony. This is one of those "deserted island" type beers.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Beer strikes a nice balance between the hop and malt content. I'm a big fan of Victory Hopdevil and this beer is very similar in many ways. As I cannot get Victory in Nashville, I'll be heading to Bowling Green KY to pick up a half barrel of Bell's finest very soon!

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

a: pours a gorgeous golden orange with creamy head.

s: wonderful fruity and floral smell. smells like orange candy, grapefruit, lemons, and cedar.

t: on palette and citric sharpness (grapefruit) balance by sweet fruit (orange candy). finish is long and fruity.

m: medium body, smooth mouthfeel.

d: pretty refreshing and citrusy, so i'd say drinkability is pretty solid, especially if you love hops.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Golden orange, tangerine-like color with a nice creamy white head. The head leaves big sheets of yummy looking lace all over. Aroma is delightful; ultra juicy with pine resin, flowers, and fresh squeezed citrus. Malts hold up quite nicely too. Taste is extremely pleasant and inviting. The more I have this beer the more it becomes a favorite. Its up there with Alpha King in my book, as far as likability. The texture has both a resiny and juicy feel to it. Very drinkable in most or all ways.

This beer might possibly be made of happiness and joy.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Pours a darker amber color with a lasting head

S - Piney Citrus hops, Hophead's delight

T - Same as the aroma. Hops,hops, and more hops, some caramel malt is lingering in there. It has some DIPA flavors

M - Light-Medium Bodied, Smooth!

D - If you love hops, pick this beer up

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Golden amber color, mostly clear (draft versions show brilliant clarity). Sticky foam puts up a valiant effort to stay afloat and subsequently leaves a thick blanket of stratified lacing.

Aroma is powerful, attractive, and balanced. The hops are prominent, citric (grapefruit), light in tone but strong of volume. Touch of sweet malt; a little stronger in that department this could be a five for smell. But the hops are so nice...

Before waxing poetic about the hops, the malt profile is light and slightly sweet, with a nod toward a buttery diacetyl (this flavor becomes a little more pronounced with the draft versions I've had, probably as the keg was winding down). The malt is pale, but sugary enough to counteract the intense hopping, which is grapefruit and flowers all the way. Hop oils are very present but I find them pleasing, a tongue-caressing smack of bitterness. I think this is the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Feeling strange about near perfect scores on everything, I was unduly harsh on the mouthfeel for being just a hair thin. I have encountered examples of the style that have a little more presence, to the point of being almost chewy. Which I love. But the Two Hearted more than makes up for that by being so incredibly drinkable, absolutely a joy to partake of, and sessionably smooth - perfect carbonation keeps everything in check and whisks the oils away leaving a floral aftertaste. Finish is crisp and clean, and not at all bitter or unpleasant afterwards. The hops are present without overpowering anything about the brew. Watch out for the 7%, cause I could drink a case of this stuff.

I've enjoyed this ale on tap many the time, absolutely superlative. So smooth and full of flavor...I've made friends at the bar by picking out pint glasses of Two Hearted by appearance and starting a conversation by talking about the superior quality and eminent drinkability of this beer. The bottled version is by no means a letdown, spot-on style perfection, and a personal favorite IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.