Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,680 | Reviews: 3,424
4.01/5  rDev -6.1%

Batch #7877, bottled March 27, 2007.

Ok, this might be the best looking IPA I've ever had, but not the best. The appearance has a short creamy head with thick lacing. The aroma is just a general citrus punch, a little weak. The flavor picks things up a bit, but it's not as bitter as I expected. It's a smooth bitter that puts it on par with a hearty pale ale. Still, the taste is of wonderfully fruity hop juice. Not overly powerful, but nice. I'd like a little more kick, but it's still a great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Picked up a 6 at Publix this evening. Bell's is new to FL, and since it just arrived about 3 weeks ago I'm sure this is a fresh sample.

Pours golden amber with hint of orange. Medium head retention, very clear. Aroma offers an interesting interplay of biscuity malt sweetness and citrusy hops. This interplay carries well into the flavor - malt with a biscuity tone, fruit, and citrus. Noticible hop flavor, not just aroma and bitterness - undoubtedly dry hopped, very nice.

Overall, an excellent example of an American IPA from a well respected American craft brewery. This beer and Bell's in general are welcome additions to the FL beer scene.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Bell's has recently come to Florida and Exhibit A is why I am glad they have done so.

A: Beautiful straw yellow/orange in color with a head that settles down nicely to one finger. This one is very effervescent with bubbles chasing each other to the top and it has nice lacing for an IPA.

S: The wonderful aroma of hops. Earthy with a beautiful smell of citrus and pine.

T: I really like this one. I have probably drank over a case of it in the past month or so and I have finally gotten around to reviewing it. This one has the taste of wonderful pink grapefruit. The taste is long lasting and finishes with a sting on the tongue from the bitterness of the hops. Nice!

M: Very effervescent, and refreshing

D: This is one of the most sessionable around. I session with Alpha king until I run out and then switch over to Two Hearted for the hot Florida summers.

Overall: This is one of my favorite everyday beers. It refreshing and thirst quenching on a hot day. One of these after mowing the lawn puts me right where I want to be actually lets me honest 2 or 3 puts me right where I want to be. Thanks Bell's for coming to Florida.

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

this is a super popular one... i've had it in the bottle as well, but on tap, it was really something else... golden orange (if there is such a thing) with a nice little head and just the right ammount of carbonation... the nose is floral... so nice i almost enjoy sniffing this beer as much as i do schwilling it... i could go on and on... pleasant piney, floral, unoffensive, grown up taste... goes down like it was meant to... bliss for the mouth, throat, belly and body...

12/14/07 - update... just had to come back and add a bit to one of my first reviews... since the time of my first review, i've had two hearted on cask, on tap, in the bottle, and last night - in the new 5L mini keg. sheer heaven. hazy amberish with lighter feet that seemed to give the beer a glowing appearance. the girl i drank it with commented right away about how she was astounded by the appearance. she's not a beer geek, but appreciates good schwill. said it looked like an airbrushed picture of the perfect beer in a magazine. georgeous off white head that had supernatural retention and lace. this was so good last night out of the mini keg, i want to give it 5's across the board... malt character was caramelly and sweet. a perfect vessel to carry the fruity, floral hops. almost full bodied, silky, smooth mouthfeel. it left me wanting more and more and paired perfectly with the gruyere mac and cheese that we made. hands down, one of the best beers i've ever had. thanks larry bell. if any of you hop lovin' ba's haven't gotten a chance to try this beer out of the 5l can, run to the store now and pick one or two or three up. don't sleep!!! highly highly recommended!

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Thanks Rudge for this one. This beer was dark gold with a real pleasant hop nose to start. The mouthfeel was very smooth with the hops coming into play but an almost English flavour came to mind in the rounded complexity of the finish. This is a very individual IPA that is very drinkable but not a over the top west coast hop monster.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours hazed amber/yellow with a one-finger, creamy white head that slowly descends to a lasting thin cover. Broken rings of lacing stick to glass.

The smell is floral, piney, citric/tropical fruity. Robust aroma.

The taste is floral, piney, citric bitterness upfront. Malty sweetness in the back holds the hops together. As it warms, it becomes more resiny. Slight touch of peppery alcohol in the long finish.

Chewy, creamy, rich body. Hoppiness lingers.

A hop-head delight here! Wish it were available in my area. Thanks to dekker0 for this hop treat!

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass with a very good looking orange/golden color. Very nice looking brew.

S: Outrageously tasty smell. Smells of fresh hops just picked from the vine. Couldn't wait to try this beer;

T: Good lord. This is an IPA for hop heads. Very balanced with a great hop presence. The taste is so flavorful and smooth and the alcohol is hidden better then Waldo. One of the best IPAs I have had.

D: Overall an outstanding beer and one of the best IPAs I have had.

Two Thumbs Way Up

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Pale golden to straw, medium head, a bit of lacing in flecks.

S - Strong grapefruit flesh and pith with a touch of pine. The smell is an excellent IPA aroma.

T - Light malt, floral hops and grapefruit. Aftertaste is malty with a bit of a faint bitterness. A bit biscuity.

M - Smooth, thin, refreshing.

D - Pretty good. I would definitely have this again . . . if just to smell it.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured a nice orange-ish color with a white head that disapates nicely. It just smells of grapefruity hops, sweet and tangy. It has a nice smooth bite, and a sweet malt that is phenominal. The alcohol is hidden quite well in this one, as well as a little sticky, but that what makes a good beer, right?

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

Packaged in a 12 oz amber crown cap bottle
Served at fridge temp about 35F
Big, pungent hop aroma at the bottle neck
Pours with a thick body, producing a full off white head.
Appearance: Amber-orange, very slightly hazy, leaves an excellent lace.
Taste: Assertive citrusy bitterness dominates. Not as malty as expected.
Drinkability: Big hop load makes a good example of an American style IPA. Hop flavor apparent and balanced with the hop aroma, containing earthy and citrus components. Could use a little more malt flavor to enrichen it. Highly recommended for hop heads.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

I picked this up at Earth Fare Raleigh (Brier Creek) for $8.99 (six-pack). I keep hearing good thing's about Bell's brews, and I've tried their stout, porter, and Oberon. These have all been solid beers, so I thought their IPA would be worth trying. That is an understatement!

This beer pours a dark straw yellow in my pint glass. A one-finger head of ecru foam persisted for some time before dissolving into a thin lacing that continued to cover the surface. The aroma is mainly of hops and citrus, with some pine and floral notes. It's a fresh-smelling beer, to say the least.

The flavor is bright citrus with a big, but smooth, hoppy finish. Very little detection of malts. Smooth, refreshing, and really hits the spot. I found the carbonation to be a bit much, but that's hardly an objective criticism. This is a well-made brew that stands out in the dense forest of American craft IPAs.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks to the Mellow Mushroom in Indy for staying late and pouring me an extra pint of Two Hearted. I could still taste it in the morning. I have heard fabled stories of this fine ale and may now report back that they are legitimate. One of the best IPA's I have ever had. It made the Alpha King that I tried after it pale in comparison. Wish I could get this out in Colorado. This is a definite hophead's favorite!!!

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Bottle from batch number 7895 poured into a tulip glass

A- This beer poured a golden orange with a medium (1") off-white head. I would say it had medium carbonation and a decent amount of lacing that stuck around.

S- The nose came through with hoppy, grassy, pine tones. I felt that I picked up some citrus too. I seemed quite complex in scent.

T- Traditional grapefruit taste of a hoppy American IPA. The hop flavor is readily apparent, but stays in balance. Anybody can add tons of hops to a homebrew and end up with a very bitter taste. Two Hearted seems to push the hop flavor to the edge without going over.

M- Medium carbonation, with a somewhat thicker mouthfeel than expected. However, it stays quite smooth.

D- I can't say I'm really new to Bell's in general or even Two Hearted specifically. This will continue to be a "go-to" beer for me, especially in the warmer months. As I don't consider myself a true "hop head", this is the hoppiest (yet drinkable) I've enjoyed.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Clear light orange, small off-white head. Ok lacing.

S - clean hop nose

T - Very smooth hops from start to finish, including the bitterness. Malt is barely noticable, but it works.

M - You get a bit of a carbonation zing at the start of each sip. More crisp and refreshing than other IPAs I've had recently.

D - I've been drinking this pretty fast, and I haven't picked up on any alcohol tones.

An excellent, hop-forward IPA. From what I know of this beer, it is a very basic recipe, but is executed flawlessly.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BeerTruth for this one.

Pours a beautiful honeysuckle amber with nice clarity and a pillowy finger and a half of off-white head. Lots of bubbles and the head has good retention, leaving a film across the top and some stick on the sides.

Smell is very fragrant with flowery aromas as well as grapefruit and some honey-like sweetness. The smell is really turning me on to this beer.

Taste starts off with a citrusy sweet splash of hops, grapefruit and honey, followed by more floral and citrusy hops. There is a little bit of bitterness toward the end but this is superbly balanced and has very little lingering bitterness for an IPA. Mouthfeel is nearly full-bodied and the carbonation is just right. It's very smooth and creamy on the tongue.

I can see why this is consistently rated so highly. Awesome IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Pint glass.

A- Wow, real nice head on this guy(or shall I say fish?). Golden in color, lots of bubble in this one.

S- Nice fruity smell, like apples, plums, and oranges. Nice floral hops smell also.

T- Floral tastes come out in beginning with lots of hops. I sense a nice orange taste with a dry finish. Delicious.

M- Pretty thick for a IPA with some carbonation. Nice dry finish.

D- I could drink a sixer of these easily with the low ABV and awesome taste. This is one of the best IPA's I've had and quite frankly need many more.

Cheers,
Scott

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle courtesy of Tangfoot. Thanks! I've been looking forward to this one...

A: Hazy amber, poured a gigantic rocky, off-white head that receded to a film of bubbles, and patchy lacing. A fairly steady stream of tiny bubbles streams from the bottom of my pint glass.

S: Clean, hoppy.

T: Really well-balanced! It seems like the flavors alternate from malt to hop and back again, with neither flavor trying to out-do the other. The finish is pleasant with a drying bitterness.

M: Smooth and creamy, with a light prickle from the carbonation.

D: Excellent. Two Hearted has lived up to my expectations. Too bad I don't live in MI.

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an American pub glass, at fridge temperature.

A: Poured a rather hazy copper into the glass, even though I was careful not to disturb the yeast layer at the bottom of the bottle. Some chill haze, I suspect, is evident. The head was a nice dense foam, just a little off-white, that stayed with the beer. Some lacing.

S: Has a nice floral aroma, almost like lavender, rather than the grapefruit nose often present in American IPAs. Some spiciness, perhaps a little pine, as well, and some malt notes. Very nicely hop forward yet still balanced.

T: Noticeable hop flavor is the first impression, followed by nicely balanced malt sweetness. A subtle spiciness is present throughout. The malt yields to a lingering, dry and bitter finish, that manages not to overwhelm. This is an exceptional American IPA; probably the best I've had. The hops are well featured, but the beer maintains balance and does not take on any of the astringent character so common to the style.

M: Light to medium bodied, with pleasant carbonation.

D: This is a dangerously easy beer to drink. Despite its fairly high alcohol content (this site says 6% but the bottle says 7%) and the aggressive use of hops, the beer's perfect balance makes it a real joy to drink.

Overall: Perhaps my favorite thing about this beer, aside from its wonderful taste, is that it is bottle conditioned. Surprisingly few American craft brews are. This living beer is an outstanding examplar of the style.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Packaged on 4/9/07. I have a firkin pour in front of me, let's begin. Obviously, no head, rather a couple of layers of bubbles form on top of my glass. We tapped this thing at 4PM, it is now 3AM. Smells like dank, buttery hops. The usual Two-Hearted profile, more fruity esters, but slightly muted otherwise. No lacing, and slightly cloudy.

The first time I tasted this beer from a firkin, I preferred bottle or tap. Now, I am in love with the different flavors that the cask brings to the table. Buttery smooth hops, slight grassiness. I think what I love about this beer from a firkin is the smooth yeastiness in addition to the smooth hops. Of course, mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated, but slick and very smooth. Drinkability, oh jhee, let me think, ..it's perfect!

I must add that when drinking this beer from the firkin, I prefer it with a month at least of cask age before drinking. I have drank this less than a two weeks after it was casked, and about a month after it was casked. This has definitely been my most favorable experience with Two-Hearted from the firkin.

4.44/5  rDev +4%

Pours a hazy orange-yellow - not as dark as expected for a rich IPA. But the head is thick and frothy - quality! And it sticks around...

Sticky indeed...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Smell is pure apricot, with the added, fresh aromas of a floral boquet. Powerful olfactory attack. Awesome.

Taste is intense apricot, tart finish with a thick sugary sweetness (a good measure of malts) - almost like a liquid candy. I detect grass, flowers, pine resin and lemon. Great IPA!

Mouthfeel is sticky, but the sharp finish cleans it up. Nice.

Very drinkable...but as I said, it is thick for an IPA. The thick sweetness (though nicely balanced by the tartness) makes one enough for me...for now. Yummy.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Finally I get to have my favorite session beer on-tap.
Served in an old mason jar at the Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock, NC.
Pours a hazy orange, golden color with 1/2" sticky off-white head that holds awhile.
Man this is one of, if not the most, aromatic beer I've had yet. It smells like I'm walking in a rose garden in full bloom.
Tons of hop flavor but not palate ruining. Lot's of tropical flavors with mango being the most prominate. Medium mouthfeel with excellent drinkability.
Simply one of my favorite beers.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Golden amber with some cloudiness from the bottom of the bottle. Sticky lacing.

Intensely aromatic and deliciously complex: pink grapefruit, tangerine, pine, roses...fruity and floral and everything lovable about fresh aromatic hops. The flavor delivers on the high expectations raised by the intoxicating aroma...fruity sweetness up front and then deliciously tangy and complex floral (roses, violets) and then pine in the finish, bitterness evenly balanced with malt. A highly aromatic expression of the IPA form and I think it may be my favorite.

As I drink this sixpack over a week or two I fall in love with this beer more and more. Utterly blissful beer experience. This beer just sings on the palate--smooth creaminess, fantastic aromatics and bitterness, balanced touch of sweetness in the malt--perfect harmony, you can't stop sipping, before you know it the glass is empty...and you are SAD--genuinely dejected that the pleasure pouring from this bottle will live on only in your vivid, tantalizing memories. I will need to make regular pilgrimages to get this stuff...

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A great IPA, in the same class as Celebration Ale. Pours a hazy straw gold color with a nice size white head that hangs in there. Sheets of lacing on the glass. Good strong IPA smell, hops and citrus.

Fantastic taste!!! Hops bitterness and pine and citrus. Rich and varied taste, I could sip this one all day. Mouthfeel is crisp and rich. Certainly would not enjoy a lesser tasting beer after one of these. Drinkability is good, this would be a three-and-out session beer, but it would be a good session. I can't get Bells products here (This one came from D's 6 packs and dawgs near Pittsburg). If I could buy them here or if I could find this beer on tap in Tidewater VA...life would be good.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.