Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,282 | Hads: 12,979
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Glass fills with a bright yet murky golden orange liquid capped with a billowy monster of a white cumulus cloud head. Big chunky-butt rocky lacing. Most impressive.

I can smell the tangy citrus and evergreen/grassy hops from 5 feet away. Tons of hop aroma ride quite nicely atop a solid bed of citrus sweet candy.

Hello American IPA! This fantastic beer is packed with taste without succumbing to overdone bitterness levels or off-balanced maltiness.

This beer is extremely smooth and drinkable. Lots of nice crisp citrus hop aroma and flavor mixed with lightly toasty malt and a nice clean lemon finish.

I just realized that my case of this is almost empty and I had yet to review it. So I quickly banged out this review. I hope I did this beer some justice. (771 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I’d heard a lot of positive buzz about this beer before trying it for the first time. Now, in my part of the world at least, it seems like it occupies sort of a gold standard of craft beer (IPAs at least). Appearance is amber and cloudy. Gead sticks around, and around. This particular example was still sitting around even after the glass was empty. Aroma is definitely hoppy, and a bit sweet. Flavor is hops plus citrus and very pleasant. And after, you get those great hop-flavored burps! I’ve had it before, and I’ll be having it again. (543 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first-ever beer from the legendary Bell's comes courtesy of super-trader melbatoast93. Thanks Hart!

The color and cap alone indicate this is going to be a kickass beer. Vibrant dirty orange color with a foamy, fluffy head that sticks around long enough to appreciate it. Stayed for the whole drink, and even left thick strands of lace.

Smell is a big robust hoppiness, pine and grapefruit both coming to mind, with a juicy sour grape essence providing the kicker.

The flavors deliver on the promise of the aroma: Bitter/sour grapefruit provides a prickly bite, with a juicy, piney, resin-like goodness following. The malt is but a faint lick in the background, but it's there and at least tries to make itself known through the hop haze. Nice mellow honey sweetness shows up in the finish.

Ok, so I'd probably have the mouthfeel be just a little chewier, and definitely creamier. It's just a little too carbonated, and on the thinner side. But still, that's a minor criticism. This beer delivers. It's utterly satisfying, while at the same time leaving you wanting more. (1,085 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

By the time the beer was brought to my table, it had lost all head, if it had any to begin with. Golden-orange in color. Has a rich, hoppy aroma. Very tempting.
The taste is equally great. Plenty of hops, well balanced. Mouthfeel is a great mix of sweet & bitterness and the aftertaste lingers on, playing on your taste buds. I tend to be stricter in my assessment of American IPAs, those being my favorite and I recognize my tendency to get carried away while having one - but this is indeed a great beer and I'll definitely recommend to all beer enthusiasts. (561 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Stumbled on this at a good restaurant in Akron. This is one great IPA. Great hop aroma and a nice crisp taste. Not over the top and not too pine resin-like. A little different that some of my other favorite IPAs. A little smoother to drink. They went down really quick. (269 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Ron as this is his selection in our beer club.

A-Amber/copper, cloudy from bottle conditioning. Holding the glass up, I see a swirl of "stuff" in the glass. Crowned 1-1/2 inch head of an off white color, head also very thick and creamy.

S-Pine hops, Pine Hops, Pine hops, then a little green hops come though. Very very strong aroma, I can smell it while pouring long before I ever brought to my nose. A great smell maybe a little one-dimensional but non-the-less great.

T-strong piney hops throughout with some green herbaceous hops thrown in for good measure. there is a good malt backbone with a little sweetness in the middle. But this beer is by no means balanced as the pine hops beats the malt into submission with a 16 lb sledge. That is not necessarily a bad thing though as this is one good beer.

M-perfect carbonation for the style IMO, not fizzy but present. Medium body with a oily characteristic that coats the mouth. Residual sugars leave a stickiness on the lips.

D-I could have a couple, but after that I might have to break into a rendition of O' Tannenbaum.

Overall-A fine well crafted beer with over the top pine hops that I could certainly appreciate on a frequent basis. (1,221 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

well I heard that bell's was not going to be in chicago for a year, so I ran out and picked up the latest and last batches of Two Hearted. this is a very nice, very drikable beer. also it seems to be very comparable to the Two Brothers Heavy Handed. glad i got 3 sixers. (270 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

A - Slightly cloudy amber/orange color. Huge fluffy head, plenty of lacing.

S - STRONG grapefruit, piney hops....and that is it. No balance at all.

T - Starts off with hops, kinda floral/soapy. Then it turns to a grapefruit pine and finishes w/ grapefruit...oh wait there is malt, waaay in the back.

M - Sharp carbination along with the hop bitterness.

D - A little too unbalanced. Good drinkability, but I believe there should be some balance. (460 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to TheManiacalOne for sending this to me in a trade.

Pours a hazy 24 karat gold color, and a two finger head. Good retention gives way to a ring of bubbles around the glass, and gorgeous lacing.

Aroma is hoppy and smooth. Mostly citric hops show through here, and is well rounded and smooth. You can tell from the first sip that you're going to like this one.

The flavor here is quite nice. Very smooth and balanced, with great citric hop flavor, and a bit of caramel maltiness. Everything is well integrated and smooth from start to finish. While it is nicely hopped, it is not strongly bitter. No alcohol present anywhere. Mouthfeel is very creamy and moderately full. Drinkability is excellent.

If this were available in my area, it would without a doubt be my new "everyday" beer. Fantastic flavors all around, that you can really sit and enjoy, but not so outrageous that you have to pay full attention to each sip. Also, (despite the fact that I live imperial and double everything) this is a really nice change of pace. Anymore, it's almost hard to find a hoppy beer that is well balanced. This one does it perfectly. Great beer, and definitely worth seeking out. Now I'll just have to hope that Bell's starts to distribute in VA. (1,259 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This one was courtesy of Faro, thanks!

Transparent, burnt orange bottom with lots of carbonation rising to the head. Creamy foam head that fades quickly, but does not leave a murky looking film.

Sweet, floral smell, with a strong hop profile in the aroma. Grapefruit, honey, and some delicious smelling malts. Fruit esters. Very pleasant aroma.

One sip is all I need to know that this one is truly deserving of its praise. Strong hop taste on the palette, but biterness is surprisingly well contained/blended. Floral qualities translate well on the tongue, also a little grass/straw taste. Some lingering grapefruit from the bitterness, and a superb, crisp finish without tasting like straight, clean filtered water.

Nice, medium body, with a creamy mouthfeel. Mouthfeel does not give way to water, which I can truly appreciate. A treat to drink, drinkability is somewhere in between a session brew and a sipping brew.

Someone trade me more of this! (965 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a hazy light amber with a modest head that dissipates quickly. Great hoppy smell. Taste is brings evidence of the hops in a well balanced brew that finishes with hints of grapefruit. Feels quite pleasant in the mouth making it a very drinkable brew as the whole experience is exceptional. (294 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz. Bottle
According to Bell's website it was packaged 9/25/06. So it should be nice and fresh.

Two Hearted poured a slightly hazy gold. A good looking 1+finger white micro bubble head. Swirling carbonation rising from a few different points in my pint glass.

All I smell coming from this beer is hops, which is a very good thing. I smell a forest of pine trees and grapefruit. Makes my mouth water.

There is a small malt backbone coming through but it's mostly a hop attack. My kind of IPA. Citrus(grapefruit) hops followed by a mouthful of oily pine needles. A nice bitterness follows that gets me ready for the next drink.

Mouthfeel is a little on the lighter side but still good. Its funny but even though it's lighter it still coats my mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I could and have drank quite a few of these in a sitting.

Overall Two Hearted is one of the IPAs I keep in my fridge pretty often. It's refreshing and full of delicious hops. If you ask me this is a classic. Probably my favorite offering from Bell's.

Slainte! (1,082 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

If I were to make a list, 4 out of the 5 best IPAs I’ve ever had would be from California. This would be the one that’s not.

No doubt about it, this is a fan-fucking-tastic beer. I’ve waited a long time to try and when I finally got my hands on it – I got as much as I could. In Chicago, I had this on-tap every place I crossed that had it. I even had it on engine which was delicious but not quite as tasty as the regular draft.

This is a bold IPA for sure. It manages to walk the line between an IPA and a DIPA keeping the best aspects of each. The aroma is a gorgeous bouquet of pine and citrus hop flavors. The hop flavors are held in check by a sweet doughy malt character. It’s a very well made beer.

I could and did drink a bunch of these. I could drink it all day honestly. Can’t say enough good things about this one. (843 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Maximum respect to hoppymeal for sending me four bottles of this beer in our recent trade. Poured into a nonic, Two Hearted Ale is undoubtedly hazy, golden amber with a dense and rocky small white head and sticky lacing. Sparse carbonation. Profoundly zesty citric hop aromas, with grapefruit and pine notes abiding. A substantial caramel malt scent is also detectable. Sharp grapefruit bitterness leads the hop profile here, with young spruce cone and apricot flavors arriving late in the sip. Some mineral notes ride along with a rather understated caramel malt bill that is all but obliterated by the brash (but not overwhelming) hops. Bready aftertaste. Peppery mouthfeel, juicy too. Pretty dry finish -- actually, pretty dry overall. Very nice mouthfeel on this just about medium-bodied ale. This is a ridiculously flavorful IPA which makes it incredibly drinkable. Easily one of the best of its style in the world. (920 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone IPA glass.

Appearance - Pours a beautiful dark honey color with a very slight haziness. The head is thick and creamy, about two fingers tall at first. It holds well, but eventually settles thin cap of creamy head. Leaves good lacing on the way down.

Smell - A mix of sweetness with a hint of fresh, sharp/dry bitter hops. Some caramel and molasses in the middle, along with a moderate spice character. The malt aroma is rich and sweet. Moderate spicy alcohol.

Taste - Caramel sweetness up front, with a mix of crisp/bitter hops. This initial taste is well-balanced for an IPA, but the hops ultimately prevail. Peppery spiciness and some sweet fruitiness (peach?) come through after the initial flavors. The finish has rising hints of spicy alcohol with the rich, bready, and slightly sweet malts coming through. The aftertaste reveals again the crisp bitterness of the hops mixed with a mellow sweetness again.

Mouthfeel - Lots of carbonation bite off the bat, but thankfully this calms down after a second or two. Light-bodied with okay smoothness.

Drinkability - A bitter beer with an interesting rich sweetness present. Decent drinkability, as the flavors are strong.

A very good IPA, I really like the buttery/caramel sweetness it has to it. Highly recommended. (1,323 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

a: the color is nothing special, but the head it leaves upon pouring looks excellent. a few inches, or "fingers" worth as the rogues refer, lingers for a while.

s: the smell is exceptional. citrus, fruity, if god has a smell, this might be it.

t: a wonderful pale ale, the one that got me hooked on the style. the hope effect is excellent and eloquently balanced.

m: nothing too special here, but you surely won't complain. strong enough to be noticed, but is not what stands out about the beer.

d: each one will go down smoother and leave you wanting more, shouldn't fill you up too much.

conclusion, other notes: poured into standard pint glass.. overall, this beer should be enjoyed by everyone on a frequent basis. i mean, i think bell's is one of the finest producers of beer in the u.s. and it makes me thankful that my religion does not discriminate against the responsible use of alcohol. I mean think about it, what if your prophet said you could not enjoy this fine craftmenship of a beverage? I know i'd be angry.

this is a good beer to drink and solve the problems of the world with friends around a fire. i think that pretty much sums it up. (1,177 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured this 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Its color is a nice full amber though a bit cloudy. It left quite a head, two to three fingers worth with moderate lacing. Its smell like its taste is quite fresh and citrusy, with a slight bitterness. A solid mouthfeel, not too watery. As for overall drinkability this my be my favorite ale I have sampled. Recommended! (369 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7%

This beer pours a nice orange golden amber with high lights concentrated around the bottom. The head is decent centered around edges. Smells great fruity maybe some pineapple, orange peels, nice aromatic hops, some spice and a lovely piny body. Honestly it smells so good. Tastes pungent, good bitter hops, a bit floral a little sweetness, some crispness and a very dry finish, not as clean as some others. This is a definitely a dry English style IPA. Personally I prefer a bit more American stickiness in my IPA, but this a a good offering from Bells. (553 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

A - see through golden amber. Pours a 2 finger width head that goes down to about half an inch and stays there til its done.

S - apples. peaches. nectarines. Very nice crisp fruity smell.

T - bottled on Aug 14, 06....so its pretty fresh. Pineapple. Hoppy bitterness, but very balanced. Everything fits. As you get into the glass, the bitter aftertaste does linger for some time.

M - medium. very balanced. goes down smooth.

D - Wow, what a great beer. Very crisp and refreshing. Wasnt too bitter at all. Im a big fan of IPAs, and this one is one of the smoothest. Very easy to drink.

pick up a 6 pack and enjoy. Not too much alcohol so you can enjoy 2 or 3 without getting too dizzy.... (705 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

CONTAINER VOLUME: 355ml
CONTAINER TYPE: Bottle (Conditioned)
FRESH: Consumed 1 month after production
PURCHASED @: Binny’s McHenry
COST: $6.99/6-pack [SALE!]
HEAD: average frothy/foamy; white; fully diminishing
LACE: excellent
COLOR: Hazy light amber
AROMA: Light grain; no yeast or citrus elements; heavy flower/herb/pine/spruce HOPS!
MOUTHFEEL: Medium to light
PALATE: Oily coating; soft/flat natural conditioning
TASTE: START- light sweet; moderate bitterFINISH- heavy bitter; long lasting
COMMENTS: Completely unbalanced! But that’s a good thing here!!! All Hops are a good thing. Much like the DFH strain. This is the ultimate sipping brew. Nectar of the humans!
CONDITIONS: MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- n(good ANY time though)WITH FRIENDS-Y SIPPING-Quintessential! GET MY BUZZ ON- Hell, yeah! (807 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 45 degrees. Was excited to finally find this in PA!

Pours a light red with a large foamy head & the lacing stuck around for a long time. Powerful aroma - grassy, hoppy, and bursting with grapefruits & orange. Definitely a hop-hog's brew...bitter, but balanced. The fruit aroma comes back in the aftertaste, and the wonderful hops stay with you through the whole drinking experience. I'd say having two would be perfect...wouldn't drink much more than that in a single serving, though. (535 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap at the Sharp Edge. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice light amber color with an impossible-to-get-rid-of head that stuck to the sides all the way down the glass.

Smell: Wonderful, hoppy aroma. Citrusy to the max.

Taste: What you'd expect from an IPA - Hoppiness that smacks you in the face right away. However, this beer also excels on the malt side. This beer is probably the best "balanced" IPA I've had. High bitterness combined with a definite sweetness. What a great symphony of flavors!

Mouthfeel: Medium body. The great balance of all factors in this beer feel great in the mouth.

Drinkability: Probably one of the most drinkable IPA's out there, again because of the balance.

Wow. I had heard others mention how good this beer was and I was happy to finally try it. Now that I know where to find it, I may never leave! (860 characters)

pours a bright copper with hues of bronze and orange shinning through, a white head that was about a finger and a half thick.
the aroma is hopsack; citrus, hint of pine, malty.
the flavor is malty followed by a firm hopsack, citrus, carmelized malt sugar.
two hearted is one of michigans best ipa's, two thumbs up. (317 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

I was very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Not that I didn't expect it to be good, but all I've previously had from Bell's is Expedition Stout and Batch *000 (I forget which, sadly.) I loved them both, but didn't expect their basic IPA to stand up to them. While it's obviously a different style, I love this one too.

Pours from a 12 ounce bottle a medium bright hazy orange. Retains a light white head, medium dense.

Aroma is of good things to come: citrus hops, and little else. (Just what I want in my IPA!) Maybe a tiny bit of sweet fruit -- peaches?

Tingly mouth, despite apparently only average carbonation, lingers a while, and the hop presence makes for a nice little feeling of spice.

From the first taste through the finish, this is chock full o' hops: citrus, pine, resin, grapefruit goodness. Love it. Just love it. No real alcohol presence (it's only 6%), limited sweet malt presence. In other words, nothing to get between my and my hops.

See, I'm not of the idea that an American IPA, especially one brewed as a west coast style, should be balanced: I love them totally imbalanced. This one fits the bill. It reminds me a LOT of Stone IPA, which I love.

Love it, and will happily buy it again. It's just a shame that I have to come all the way to North Dakota to get it! (Captain Jack's Liquor Store near the Kirkland Mall, $7.99 per six pack.) Makes for a nice night in a hotel room! Now where the hell is that pool? (1,459 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale really impress me. To start, I poured a golden brown w/ a frothy 2 inch head. Lovely scent of pine and grapefruit w/ a hint of malt and florals in the back ground. The brew is well balanced, w/ a bold and dry flavor that begins lightly sweet and ending like a IPA should "bitter". At the same time it has a soft carbonation feel and the bitter aftertaste is long lasting. The brew left an excellent amount of lace and the head last thoughout the whole drink. Go ahead and buy a six pack it won't disappoint. (530 characters)

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.