2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,713 | Reviews: 2,962 | Show All Ratings:
jcalabre

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Originally sampled 1 November 2002. This is a monsterous India Pale Ale. It has a great citrus flavor with a grapefruit finish. The nose is chokked full of hops. It is a hazy copper delight. In my opinion, it is one of the best India Pale Ales around.

06-08-2003 18:41:34 | More by jcalabre
BierReise

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

One of the best IPA's I've had in recent memory. Cloudy copper ale with nice fluffy head, which is the sign of great quality ales. Aroma is superb, piney and citrusy. Has it's own uniqueness to it and different from other great IPA's. I smell a little cedar as another reviewer points out. Nice lacing. Very crisp and carbonation is solid. I only wish I could buy these locally. Would be a regular for me. Thanks JohnnyDuvel!!!

05-28-2003 12:45:52 | More by BierReise
dwarbi

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Whoa! What an amazing looking beer. Foamy white head that leaves large patches on the sides of the glass as I drain it. Hippity hoppity hop-hops! Helluvan aroma. Bursting in my nasal cavity. Creamy and smooth IPA?! Don't get me wrong, it's crisp and pops on your tongue, but very clean. Fantastic IPA. Supremely drinkable. I am not a hophead, but this is a great IPA choice.

05-27-2003 19:59:27 | More by dwarbi
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Strong cedary, piney, grapefruity, citrusy nose, no doubt due to the hops. Smooth sweetish maltyness. Sharp bitterness at the end, with some saltyness and some alcohol noticed, lingering bitterness. Grapefruity and a bit woody?. I don't know, to me this wasn't very exciting, a bit one dimensional, It had a lot of flavour, but maybe it was a bit too sharp for me?. Still, quite alright. Another gift from feloniousmonk.

05-24-2003 07:04:53 | More by rastaman
frank4sail

Flower hop/orange rind beautiful fresh nose. Rose colored with lots of little bubbles and a thick sturdy 2 inch creamy pale head. Sticky white peaks settle to a rich sticky lace on the glass. I love the fragrant smell of this brew. Bitter hop citrus grapefruit taste with a sturdy pale malt backbone. Medium mouth thet coats the tongue and throat with a wonderful hop flower film. The bitterness mellows and leaves the back of the tongue dry. The front of the tongue is left with jellybean sweetness. WOW balenced even on both ends of your tongue. I love this brew... and I think it also loves me... This brew is so rounded it is the only IPA that I have tasted that has truly measured up to the Hopdevil. The citrus flavors evolve in your mouth into a "big daddy" of hop satisfaction.
Seek out this brew and destroy a few for me!

Cheers to inebrius .. I am in major debt to you for sending me this one!!!!!!!

Did I say WOW...

05-22-2003 13:12:28 | More by frank4sail
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

I had this beer in a 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The pour yielded 2 good fingers of foam above a cloudy deep orange yeasty liquid. One thing I really love about this brew is the head. It really stays around, leaving a good bit of lacing on the glass. A little bit of citrus in the smell, very pleasant. The taste is a good bite of hops with a bit of frutiness in the front of the tongue. Almost a flavor of clover and pine really. The mouthfeel is pretty heavy and smooth. The drinkability is average for an IPA. One thing I really love about this brew is the head. It really stays around, leaving a good bit of lacing on the glass.

05-20-2003 20:36:10 | More by SheepNutz
Loki

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

Sampled in a 12oz bottle with a very unique label with an almost homemade look that left me truly wondering what the bottle contained and what was in store for me with this tasting.

This fine Kalamazoo product poured a slightly hazy amber color with a ¼ - ½ inch thick ivory head that faded fairly quickly. Yet while most of the head faded quickly, the beer maintained a 1/8 inch head nearly through out my sampling. This beer also produced beautiful lacing during the entire drinking experience.

The nose on the Two-Hearted Ale was both prominent and pleasant. A very floral and fruity nose revealed scents of wild flowers, peaches, grapefruit, and malt. Beautiful, yet delicate scents and a promise great of taste flowed from the glass.

The taste did not disappoint me. With a sweet start of fruit and fine malt that lead into bevy of hop flavor. This beer possessed a medium body and a clean, crisp smoothness that went down incredibly easy and very fast. The flavors were smooth and even through out and transitioned without any jump, wholes, or gaps between them.

I am very impressed by this Kalamazoo product; it certainly lived up hype that I had read about all of the Kalamazoo beers. Thank you taverjeff for sending me the so I have at least two more. Yet I know two will not be enough.

Note: Upon searching for the Two-Hearted Ale to review I can to the astonishing revelation that it is an IPA! What? But I hate IPA?s. In fact I?ve only had one before that I even really liked. Are my taste buds changing, or is this beer just that damn good?

I think it is just that damn good, and I also think I?ll have another. Cheers!

05-18-2003 20:44:07 | More by Loki
blkknight02

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

My first chance to sample this highly rated brew since Bell's has just begun to be distributed in our area.
The beer poured a light copper to dark amber hue with an adequate amount of head. The lacework stayed on the glass the entire pint.
Aroma of piney/citrusy hops (chinook and cascades?) with a hint of sweetness in the background. Somewhat fruity as well.
Hops overwhelm the malt but there is a finish of sweetness followed by a lingering bitterness. Very biting mouthfeel due top the carbonation level and the IBU's involved.
Overall, it a good beer but too much pine for my tastes.

05-14-2003 06:32:14 | More by blkknight02
AtLagerHeads

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Not a bad choice for numero 300. The cask pour came up quite nicely with a thick pillowy white head that dissipated rather slowly to a thin lace blanket that coated the sides of the glass thoroughly. The body was dark gold to light amber and somewhat hazy. Nose was full and gave off piney, herbal hop aromas that carried through to the taste. A flowery sense was included in both nose and taste. This is a hophead ale to be sure, but creamy and full bodied to boot. Very little malt sense, but, of course, that is what carries the hops forward. Not overly bitter at any point, the brew finishes with a hint of lip-licking sweetness that balances the overall experience. This would not be the top IPA on my list, and I've probably rated it higher than I'd otherwise rate it because of the cask influence. IMNSHO, it is very good beer, but a bit too highly rated.

Serving type: cask

05-08-2003 19:27:30 | More by AtLagerHeads
daledeee

Iowa

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you want hoppy, this is it! The finest pale ale I have had.

When I first drink it, it seems strong. But as the glass goes down the enjoyment goes up.

Pours a beautiful head. Golden colored. Floral or piny aroma.

Hops all over the place. Some malt creeps through. Well balanced. What a joy to drink!

Why do I live in Iowa? I have to drive to Wisconsin to get this. But that makes it a special treat. This is a top beer. Possibly the best American beer. Two in the top 10 not bad for an American brewery!

Edit: Since this review, I have tried many other beers. This is still a great beer but there is strong competition from American Brewers that I found as I traveled around the country.

04-27-2003 15:32:00 | More by daledeee
TXHops

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

-IBU’s:
-Malts:
-Hops:
-Color:

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale pours a shockingly pale yellow color, looking more like SNPA than most American IPA’s (when decanted off the yeast—a full pour left a vesry cloudy body). The nose has a big, vegetal hop aroma, smelling strongly of coriander, though I’d be beyond beside myself to learn that any adjuncts or spices were used in this beer. The very slight haziness lends credibility to an over-crystal malted style. The just-less-than-white head is pretty fluffy after the yeast has been added from the bottle, but is mediocre otherwise.

The flavor is odd, to say the least. Sweet, pineapples mix with cooked vegetables to leave a very unusual sensation in the mouth. Then there’s that damned coriander flavor! Is this an Imperian Wit or an IPA??? OK, we’re gonna stop right here and assume the worst—I got a funky bottle. I stopped and read about 30-40 reviews of this stuff and everyone loved it. There were several telling mentions of an “odd sweetness” or a “pleasant funkiness from the Bell’s yeast” that’s just killing me here! The ambient flavors created by the fermentation with the “famous” Bell’s yeast is wreaking havoc on my buds. In my doubt, I had my wife taste it and she thought it tasted and smelled like ash (not ass, ash). This stuff is as close to horrid as a beer can get without being dumped. Let’s hops for a bad bottle and a shot at redemption in the future. I’m rating what I taste based on the fact that with something like 60+ IBU’s and 7$ ABV, this stuff oughtta be impervious to bugs.

Updated early April 2003: I retasted and although this second bottle was MUCH better than the first, it still had subtle hints of that vegetal, coriander flavor. I'm upping my score, but not by much. I'd love to taste this stuff fermented without the Bell's yeast...

04-10-2003 10:34:37 | More by TXHops
StevieW

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz bottle. What the hell are those things on the label. They don't look like hearts to me. I'll call MikeyW, he'll know.
This Bell's beer opened with more of "pffft" than the other ones I 've had. That's a good sign I think. Poured a more golden yellow color than a rich copper that I expected. I guess I expected a darker color, but that's ok. Rich bubbly, creamy, biege head. Full and strong, laced the glass on the way down.
Aromas spot on of striking Cascade hop goodness. Full on, very good. Full flowery hop aromas. First taste is equally striking, stand up and take notice hop bitterness. Combined with the tangy, bitter citrus taste. Subtle malt body. Balanced. Sticky, whole hop flowers, much like a Celebration Ale. Leaves a hole in your mouth, with bitterness lingering on your tongue. Medium bodied, perfectly charged. This one is the ultimate summer thirst quencher or bbq beer. And 7% abv is not felt. A beer I could drink again and again and not tire of it. I had this with grilled bbq chicken and corn on the cob. Perfect !

04-09-2003 05:07:46 | More by StevieW
tavernjef

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Ohh, my...this is one complex, super good IPA!

Color was a solid goldish yellow, small bubbly head that faded fast but left nice tight lace in patches around the glass. Aroma is very grapefruit/orangey/lemony peel-like with lots of fresh floral hops and a bit of spice and slight dry malt. Straight up taste is very fresh hops, citrusy with some spice notes and grain, nothing overbearing, very mellow, its perfectly balanced and is very crisp and clean with a great, light dry finish lingering with dry malts and left over hop bits. Hard and very bold, medium body feel, somewhat creamy with lots of fruity sweetness and a nice, light dry finish. This is some fantastic stuff. A favorite of mine for any occasion.

03-29-2003 09:35:45 | More by tavernjef
goindownsouth

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

This was recommended to me by the owner of Shangy's "The Beer Authority," here in the Lehigh Valley, Pa. I am truly torn between this brew, Dogfish Head 90 Minute, and Lost Coast Indica Pale Ale as my favorite IPAs I have tried thusfar. This is a great brew. It gets a "5" in appearance based in no small part on the cloudy golden-amber color. A beautiful thing. The aroma is good and hoppy with some spice, but hardly overbearing. Thsi is a fantastic beer and well worth seeking out, if you can find it.

03-28-2003 16:53:15 | More by goindownsouth
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours with a towering white head that rises almost 2 inches above the ol' Duvel tulip glass rim, that slowley settles atop cloudy orange liquid. One of the best aromas I have ever smelled in a beer is present here, a massive perfume of super fresh piney/sweet hop flowers...like putting your nose into a bag of fresh hop pellets, just wonderfully appetizing! The taste matches the nose note for note...superbly tasty hoppiness without being a tongue scorcher, flowery hops give way to fruity and malty flavors that come full circle back to the excellent hoppiness. Finishes up sublime and delicious...one of the ultimate IPA's out there!

Hats off to proc for the experience!

03-22-2003 22:11:39 | More by beerluvr
Scooter77

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Pours a rich amber/orange color with a nice 1/2-inch head that almost refuses to leave. The head slowly dies down, leaving a moderate lace on the glass. Aromas are rich with hoppy goodness and sweet citrus. All I can say about the taste is, WOW! Amazing! Fantastic! The hops seem to attack the mouth like a rabid dog on a pork chop. The hops are incredibly well balanced with some mild citrus and malt undertones. This is by far the best IPA that I’ve ever had the pleasure to taste. I’d like to offer a huge thanks to fellow BA Senior (Paul), from Minnesota, for bringing me this masterpiece.

03-19-2003 05:01:18 | More by Scooter77
Stubbie1

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a nice orange/yellow. This ale is topped off with a nice thick white head. The head slowly goes to a thick lace. The lace stayed to the end of the brew.

Aroma: This is a unique aroma. I feel the description of “citrus” doesn’t do this ale justice. Spices come to mind when I breathe in this ale. Yes, maybe a hint of citrus but spice is the best way to describe the aroma. I wish I could narrow it down to be more specific. Best way to say it. “ It is simply wonderful!”

Taste: I thought it is nicely balanced. A soft malt start and the flavor of the hops at the end. I wish I could find the words to describe the hops.

A very VERY nice ale. It ranks high on my own excel beer list. No wonder it ranks so high at BA!

I’d like to thank Paul (Senior) who brought this beer from Minnesota to Williamsburg while on vacation.

03-16-2003 10:36:15 | More by Stubbie1
JohnnyDuvel

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

I'm not usually as knocked out as a lot of others are by hopped up, over-the-top micros, but this is one unique, terrific beer! Kind of like a fruit smoothie or creamsicle with lots of hops thrown in. The citrus smell leaps out when you open the bottle (and I can really appreciate it. I have grapefruit, orange, mango, and lemon trees in my back yard!). The hops certainly are present, but unlike a beer like Rogue IPA, the hops don't push the flavor to the background. Pours a nice, foamy head - with good retention. Cloudy, orange hue. Both refreshing and substantial. It was great to have a highly rated micro brew that lives up to it's reputation. (thanks, Al - I'll need more!!) - (note: the above review was for the 2002 version. The 2003 version isn't quite as good IMO, not as smooth. Maybe it will improve with age, but I couldn't wait to find out!).

03-12-2003 09:32:36 | More by JohnnyDuvel
Gusler

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Quite the cloudy little burger this beer, the color a nice orange, the head gigantesque, spumescent, and as it dematerializes the lace magically appears as a silky sheet to occult the glass. The nose is dominated by the hop floral crispness; sweet malt underlies this olfactory delight. Start is sweet and malt laden, top is middling in feel, finish is moderately carbonated the hops puissant, aftertaste hop spicy and dry, quite long lasting, another beer meant for the “Hop Heads” amongst this most august group of beer lovers.

03-11-2003 16:29:14 | More by Gusler
brakspear

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -22%

03-02-2003

This is a very nice looking American India pale ale, but the rest of the beer seems rather average, particularly when compared to some of the outstanding West Coast IPAs.

A beautiful and billlowing soft white head forms quickly and then produced perfect lacing on the glass. The body of the beer is a clear light amber with generous carbonation bubbles rising from its depths.

The aroma presents as a rather tame but citrusy hop nose, nothing outstanding, but a crisp and bracing hop snap.

The taste is very subdued. I was expecting more given other reviewers impressions of this beer. But what I tasted was a nicely balanced pale ale, with an almost chalky malt taste followed by a slight hop bitterness, citrusy but mellow. The body also seems a bit watery for an IPA.

This is a decent and average India pale ale that I would buy again, but I do not understand the accolades this beer has received. Perhaps compared to other IPAs brewed in the Middle West it stands out?

4-29-2003

Sampled again to see if I judged too harshly the first time. Nope, the taste has a weird yeast or off character I do not find pleasant at all. If this is the distinctive Kalamazoo yeast flavor, I must just not like what it does to the beer.

03-02-2003 21:03:18 | More by brakspear
BeerBuilder

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Hazy, orangish-copper color with a thick, chunky, off-white head. Leaves an excellent amount of lacing. The aroma is all citric, flowery hops. The flavor again is citrus hops, leaving the malt pretty much covered up. From beginning to end this one is all hops. It has a long dry, bitter finish. Overall this one is a good beer, I really like the aroma. I would drink this one again.

02-24-2003 09:16:57 | More by BeerBuilder
Mitchster

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

OG=1.058, 6.0% ABV. Hopped exculsively with Centennial, or so I hear.

Ah, what better beer to celebrate my 100th review with than Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, an amazing IPA and truly a wondrous beer. This brew is absolutely gorgeous...brilliantly clear if decanted carefully, a perfect shade of light-amber to golden with orange accents, forming a thick, billowy, peaking, yellowish-white head atop medium sized bubbles, leaving gobs of head (I hesitate to call it lace) that stay until the end of the beer. The carbonation is medium-strong with lots of pretty streamers spiraling towards the obstinate head. Aroma is hops, hops and more hops (more-so than Celebration or any other exemplary IPA), as if sticking your head into a bag of fresh leafy cones, full of citrusy grapefruit, subtle pineapple, vanilla sugar cookies, and perhaps a little pink-bubblegum. The harsh, piney, resinous hops that you might expect from Westcoast offerings are absent...this aroma is full, but smooth. It reminds me of the time I was at Bell's and walked into the hops cooler...yum! Despite the carbonation and bright hops, the mouthfeel is extremely soft with a medium-light body, lighter than one would expect based upon aroma. Taste starts out with a ton of flavor hops followed by a creamy-smooth pale malt body, some notable alcohol punch, and ending in a pleasantly mild and extraordinarily well-balanced bitterness complementing the lingering bready malts. This is a beer perfectly served by a pink-bubblegum character...as it warms, it adds to the enjoyability. This beer is not bitter despite it's high hopping. Having had this on tap, I would add .5 points for taste, making it a perfect 5.0. The bottled version tends to have a more noticeable alcohol presence which knocks it down ever so slightly. One of my top 5 beers of all time. Fellow BA's take heed and rush to find this at any expense!

A world-class brew and simply the best IPA I've ever had. To read about this brew does it no justice. Go drink it.

02-23-2003 10:06:11 | More by Mitchster
francisweizen

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome! This beer reminded me of Rogues 12PA and that is a good thing, as I love that particular beer from Rogue. This beer poured a very clear dark golden colour with a nice foamy head to it. This smelled of Grapefruit, Metal and Various Hops with some Tiny Malts in the background as well. This tasted very hoppy and rustic. The aftertaste was quite metallic as well as very fruity and grapefruit like. This beer had a very crisp, classic mouthfeel and a great drinkability as well.
My first beer from Bells and I am very impressed.
Many thanks to Sakaroo for the fresh sample!
Cheers!,
F.

02-17-2003 20:52:12 | More by francisweizen
purplehops

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Two Hearted poured a cloudy amber/orange with yeast particles (would be clear if decanted) and a very frothy white head that leaves pleanty of lacing. The aroma is HOPS. Floral hops, citrus hops, and a good dose of earthy hops. The taste starts with an attempt by the malt to come to the fore front but is instantly beaten down by the hop bitterness. This bitterness progresses into citrus flavors and a hint of a malt come back. The finish finds the malt taking advantage of a hop lull and bringing worth some flavors of caramel and pale malts. The aftertaste is a steady battle for about fifteen seconds before the malt surrenders to the almighty dry hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is very creamy with just a hint of carbonation tickle on the front of the tongue.
Overall a very nice IPA that I wouldn't have expected from a Mid-West brewer (bold and bitter I don't associate with the mid-continent). I do so enjoy being surprised and proved wrong when it comes to beer.

02-15-2003 07:46:39 | More by purplehops
UncleJimbo

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

This ale poured a nice golden amber with creamy white foam that left good lace. The ale was slightly hazy with lively carbonation. The smell was rich, floral hops, with some malt flavors coming through. The taste was full: malty and biscuity. The malt gave way to hops (bitter and then floral). There was a bit of dryness to the finish. The malt almost balanced the huge hop character. The mouthfeel was smooth and crisp with a slight chalkiness to the finish. This was a very enjoyable IPA with a long lasting hop flavor. A huge IPA.

Thanks to feloniousmonk for this bottle.

Last sample 4-28-06 Still a damn good beer.

02-13-2003 22:18:21 | More by UncleJimbo
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.