Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Super hazy orange hue with an off-white head.

Aroma: Orange, citrus, caramel malt.

Taste: Big malt bomb but with enough hop assertiveness to stay within the style. The hop flavor is a mix of watery orange, a hint of grapefruit, and pine. It imparts a moderate bitterness upfront that fades to a slow burn in the aftertaste. Very palatable. Dry finish. It is as robust as the 7% ABV suggests.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with above average carbonation. Easy drinkability but not quite a 'juicy' IPA.

Final Thoughts: I've had this one before and it's never blown me away like its collective rating would suggest. It's simply a good American IPA. Would I drink it again? Only if it's the only IPA option.

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this beer at Tallahassee brew-fest

A lot of people like to glorify bells, and proclaim this to be "the best ever" for IPA's, and I don't like to buy into the hype

I also do not like IPA's, so I'm the first to rip them apart, but I just cant bring myelf to hat this beer
Its just too good, and thats coming for a malt loving beer snob like myself

The hops character does not grate on your taste buds like so many other IPA's, and its mouthfeal/body reflects its hopp bitterness perfectly

If you see it, get it. Its a great IPA, and although its not my favorite, I feel like its a a very well made brew that deserves the reputation it has.

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

It's my birthday! I just review Expedition Stout and was really disappointed, but I'm hoping this one is as good as it's meant to be. Here you go, Bell's, this is your second chance. Bottled 08/29/12. 7.0% ABV confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I've hearing about this one for awhile. 355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger frothy creamy beige head of good thickness and retention. Colour is a murky copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks like any standard IPA ought to.

Sm: Floral, pine, and citrus (lemon) notes - in that order. Light soap. Even a bit of bubblegum. There's some pleasant clean malts lurking beneath the hops. The soap concerns me (I've brewed my fair share of too-long-in-primary IPAs), but I'm hoping it's good. An average strength aroma.

T: Soap, clean malts, floral hops, more soap, some light grapefruit, and lemon on the finish. Imbalanced; the salty soap dominates. What's the hype about? Very underwhelming. It's clean, though, and it does hide its ABV well. No alcohol comes through. Definite salt on the climax; almost gose-esque.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and not quite refreshing. Suits the flavours alright.

Dr: Man, Bell's is pissing me off a bit. I don't get the hype about this brewery at all, and I've tried two of their higher rated brews. This one is so damn soapy it's hard to enjoy. Get rid of the soap and then we'll talk, Bell's. What a disappointment. Drinkable, but pedestrian at best.

I initially gave it a C-, but it does get better as it warms.

C

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a brown bottle with a born-on date on the back lable into a pint glass and got a 1 finger off-white head.

A: Pours a golden, slightly orange color. There is a 1 finger head and lotds of sticky lace.

S: I'm not getting a big smell but there is grapefruit and a slight floral scent.

T: Taste follows smell: grapefruit and something else. I can't put my finger on it, though. I'm not even sure whether I like it or not.

M: Nice. It goes down good. It has a crisp feel to it.

O: It's a nice beer but it is not my favorite. I might like to try it on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.