Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into pint glass

S- Huge hop presence, fruity, someone below me said grapefruit and I'm going to roll with that

A- Light orange copper, head has large bubbles, is dissipating quickly, not much lacing

T- Grassy, tangy, I'm really starting to think they threw grapefruit in here

M- Good carbonation, dry finish, sweet and tangy, hoppy

O- Not a fan of IPA's but I could have 1 or 2 more of these. Better than most IPA's I've had that just overload the beer with hops. This offers something different and more pleasant.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to my buddy Aw Yeh for saving me a few dollars and bringing one of these over to my place. I've been meaning to review this excellent beer from a bottle for awhile. Bottled 06/02/12

Appearance - An absolutely vibrant and delicious looking brew. A thick, foaming, frothy head that is clings to the glass quite loosely. The beer has an orange and pink grapefruit appearance to it. Highly carbonated and very apparent that it is freshly made.

Smell - Very heavy notes of pink grapefruit and orange citrus. Tangerine splashes at the nostrils while a light hoppy pine waves in the background. A light hint of malt.

Taste - An extraordinary brew. This could possibly the freshest brew I've ever had. A very faint ethanol burn sits in the throat while orange coats the tongue. A fresh hop profile tickles the cheeks. The swallowing of the beer is accompanies by the taste of pink grapefruit and piney hops.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - This beer is absolutely delicious on the tongue and cheeks. Light-bodied to medium-bodied in taste. Fresh, piney, sweet, full of lively hops, and brimming with sweet nectary fruit flavors.

Bell's Two-Hearted ale is the best tasting, most complex IPA I have had. It is a little high on carbs, but wow... the flavor is unforgettable.

appearance --> sticky, memorable lacing that will impress
smell --> the BEST fragrance of ANY IPA I have tried
taste --> hard to describe... complex yet hoppy... a true Bell's accomplishment
mouthfeel --> It feels so good, you delay the swallow, but you must.
Overall --> I think this is the best IPA available in the USA. Try it!
Appearance --> if you like clear, clean beer with lacing that sticks to the glass all the way down, then you just might like this one.

Edit --> 8-1-2012

This beer changed my life. No, I am not from Michigan. I am from Alabama.

ALL THESE following BEERS ARE GOOD, but prior to trying Two-Hearted, I did not know beer could be so awesome. I have tried Terrapin's "hopsecutioner" from Georgia. It hits the hops button, but a little too bitter and uninteresting. I tried Stone's "ruination". It stomps out the hops big time, and has that distinctive American Imperial IPA taste, but lacks the complexity I seek. Then I tried Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo". Torpedo is very good, but it seems heavy on the stomach. The "Sweetwater IPA", also from Georgia, is a good IPA, but it is not in the same league as Two-Hearted Ale. "MoJo IPA" is what I buy when the store is out of Two-Hearted.

Two-Hearted Ale has the rare balance of complexity and hops that will deliver that IPA taste we seek.

I have noticed four types of beer drinkers:

1. The BMC Dudes--> They drink Bud, Coors, or Miller Light because they have never tried a good IPA. They do not really enjoy the BMC, but that is all they know. I know this because I was once one of them.

2. Sweet Beers --> Sweet beer drinkers like Porters and thick, syrupy beers that really weigh in on the malty side of beer and they go to sleep after drinking a couple of them. Since they went to sleep after two porters, they think that was good?

3. Sour beers (argh!) --> There are beers from Belgium that are actually SOUR like old wine. Some people actually like this taste, but it makes me want to hurl.

4. Finally, the wonderful, bitter, HOPS laden IPAs --> The American IPAs take first prize. We are so lucky to have access to so many VERY GOOD American IPAs. Belgium can have their sour beer, and England can have their "brown Ale" that looks like toilet water. In The USA, we have the best.

...But I digress.

I have discovered I like beers that are:

* not too heavy on the malt
* hoppy
* complex
* feels good in my mouth
* fragrant, in a hops kind of way
* Not boring

Two-Hearted Ale meets these requirements.

Bravo-Zulu Bells!

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass.

pours a slightly cloudy, dull golden tone while yielding a 2" whitish head. decent retention and lacing. nose offers a nice bouquet of citric/tropical hops with a slight floral character and a touch of pine.

flavor follows the nose. opens with a bitter hoppy bite which is followed by the citrus, tropical, pine, and floral hops (in that order). very subdued malt presence. medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall i can see what this is such a widely acclaimed "go-to" beer for those lucky enough to live within bell's distribution range. great IPA, tasty and very drinkable. hopefully one day soon it will be a staple for me, too.

(originally reviewed: 01-30-2012)

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A. Poured hard into a perfect pint glass, huge white head, 2 inches plus, which fades to almost nothing after several minutes of sitting and sipping. Little lacing. This is light and hazy, but relatively translucent. Light orange coloring. Looks pretty good.

S. Malty hops, with pine and flower.

T. Similar to smell, but with more complex hops. It tastes light, but it's very complex.

M. Fantastic. Some carbonation, but very smooth and enjoyable; i like the small bite in this one.

O. Has to be one of my favorite IPAs. Unique but subtle, when compared to others in my top rankings. Lots of bang for your buck. Plan to have Two Hearted, fresh, at my wedding.

4.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.