Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
qua17

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: pours out with a frothy 2 inch head which slowly dissipates. Nice lacing that sticks around. Color is a nearly translucent dark orange. Average amount of carbonation.

S: hops are clearly present - you can smell the grapefruit (cascade hops?) but there is also a slight sweetness there as well.

T+M: this beer is do balanced. There is a slight malt presence in the front end but is followed up by a strong hop finish. However - the hops are not overpowering. Mouthfeel is good.

Overall: one of the best American IPAs. If you can't buy it in your state - it's worth a road trip to stock up.

07-28-2011 14:24:43 | More by qua17
musicforairports

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Slightly cloudy lighter amber color, with a head that lasts and leaves some lacing.

Light and balanced sweet malt/citrus aroma.

Taste is smoooth citrus hops. Grapefruit and orange dominate, but they are balanced by a perfect amount of malt. The malt never comes to the forefront, but it mellows out the hop bite and makes the finish light and clean. Hoppy, for sure, but nicely balanced. I feel like I never understood what people meant when they talked about "balanced" IPAs until I had this on draft at Bell's.

Mouthfeel is smooth and suits the beer, with appropriate carbonation.

This bottle is not quite as fantastic and smooth as I remember it being on draft in Kalamazoo, and my memory of that is probably affecting my scores right now. Its flavors aren't the most noteworthy or overwhelming, but this beer seems to do what it does pretty perfectly.

07-28-2011 02:48:54 | More by musicforairports
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle, procured in a trade with Roke87 - thanks!

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow hue, with two fat fingers of tight foamy, creamy off-white head, which leaves random swaths of sticky, filmy lace around the glass as it slowly recedes. It smells of bready caramel cream, and citrus, herbal, and mild pine hops. The taste is more of the same - though the citrus hops wane, replaced by a growing herbal essence, and bitter, all, over a mildly sweet bready malt. No evidence of the 7 points of booze, which is nice. The carbonation is on the low side of average, and a wee bit airy, the body also just short of medium weight, and smooth enough against a surging bitter hop edge. It finishes clean, mostly, and hoppy - the green, grassy, herbal sort.

A pretty decent IPA - I'm suspecting one of two things: this bottle has a bit of age on it, or my palate is still wrecked from two weeks of drinking in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho...

07-26-2011 22:41:58 | More by biboergosum
ehammond1

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks Kgristoff!

Glowing orange with a touch of light amber and some slight haze running through the beer. Big, overflowing white head. Tons of sticky spiderweb lacing everywhere on the glass. A thing of beauty.

Somewhat sweet aroma, but the sweetness is coming from wonderful citrus hops. I really want to describe this as a tangerine aroma--something I don't think I've found in other IPAs.

More tangerine flavor as well, along with some bitter hops, other citrus, and a nice balance of crystal and caramel malts. A very well-rounded IPA, perfectly balanced, yet still fantastically hopped and full of flavor.

Medium body. Ample carbonation.

A great citrus-forward IPA that still maintains a great balance. Incredibly drinkable. I appreciate this treat!

07-25-2011 03:33:56 | More by ehammond1
doughanson78

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks GCurlow for this. My first Bell's beer. Re-Reviewed on 9-14-2011. Thanks to russwbeck for this one. Original review was a C-2.78. I believe the bottle was a bit old.

A: Golden yellow in color. Pretty hazy, can barely see through it. One finger, slightly off white head with OK retention, and great lacing.

S: Very light hops. Light floral aromas. Very light pine. A decent caramel malt backing.

T: Just the quickest touch of caramel sweetness before the floral earthy hoppiness takes over. Pretty good bitterness. Has a touch of Pine. Earthy bitter finish, with the caramel fighting back.

M: Medium bodied and a medium high carbonation. Crisp and super dry.

O: So this is why everyone says "gotta have 2 hearted fresh!" So glad I got a chance to have this again. I put it up with the better IPA/DIPA's I've had. Although the nose is very light, it has an awesome hoppiness.

07-24-2011 08:31:29 | More by doughanson78
claytong

Vermont

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

appearance - copper in color with a big head that turns into a nice lacing

smell - not as hop forward as i have come to expect recently and i enjoy it. very well balanced between grains and hops, nice grapefruit smell, smells like refreshment

taste - following the smell, not as strong as i thought though

mouthfeel - super crisp, refreshing, great amount of carbonation, medium bodied to big body for the style

07-24-2011 06:48:26 | More by claytong
fsvan

Tennessee

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottled 5/4/11. Drank 7/23/11. Poured into pint glass.

A- Fantastic glowing orange. Lingering white head.

S- Tons of grapefruit hops.

T- Same. Just a citrus grapefruit hop fest. Just enough malt to keep honest. Michigan's version of a west coast IPA.

M- A little light of medium. Very pleasant.

O- I've had this beer many times, and will have it many times more. Using only centennial hops, Two Hearted Ale is proof that more is not always better, and as with master chefs, master brewers find way to coax the most out of every ingredient. Even at 2.5 months out, this bottle is damn tasty.

07-23-2011 21:54:26 | More by fsvan
Chriscrundwell12

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. A little over a month old, so still pretty fresh.

A- Really nice appearance, one finger off white head, very clear dark golden yellow color, splotching lacing, nice carbonation.
S- The aroma is really nice, smooth, very refreshing, juicy fruity flavors (peach, grapefruit, citrus) piney hops, nice malt backbone.
T- This is just a quality year round IPA, really balanced, solid fruity flavors, big grapefruit, pine, citrus, nice malt presence to balance it out, this is just a really balanced IPA.
M- Medium/light mouth feel, well carbonated, really smooth, extremely easy drinkability.
O- This is the craft beer that started it all for me; I’ve had this so many times and have always forgotten to review it, just a quality beer that I will always fall back on, always reliable.

07-23-2011 10:43:54 | More by Chriscrundwell12
AdvocateFan

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a well-hazed pale brassy color capped by a lace-heavy off-white head. Notes of tropical fruits on the nose, with quite a bit of soap, and flourishes of mint leaves. Bits of pine and woody spiciness as well, with a flash of brine. Malty base comes through too, with suggestions of pretzel dough. On the palate, it's very, very dry, offering chalk-like bitterness that hits early, opening up long enough to permit a dusting of green-tea and what I can only describe as powdered high-alpha-acid hops to unfurl, with a touch of woody, piney, cedary (maybe spruce-y) spiciness, before regaining control and drying out quite profoundly. There are floral notes as well, but everything is very, very dry (less bitter than just dry, though the bitterness is present in ample share.) Finishes with a rather "rindy" citrus bitterness.

Fresh orange wedges and kiwi-like, papaya-esque tropical fruit notes really develop as the beer warms.

Hoppy for sure--but tastes like a wet-hopped beer--very "fresh" hopiness, very herbal/floral, and pretty intense, without being crushingly bitter. So much hop FLAVOR, which can be tough to properly feature.

Worth the wait--been looking forward to trying this legendary beer for a good long while. Lives up to the hype--but a touch less drying bitterness would make it just about a 9 on a 10-point scale (or 4.5 of 5) for me; it just sucks the moisture from the inside of my mouth about as completely as "Mr. Thirsty" does at the dentist's office.

07-23-2011 06:18:38 | More by AdvocateFan
homersimpson67

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Tried this several years ago along the North Shore of Lake Superior in Tofte Minnesota at the Blue Fin Bay Resort.
Didn't realize it was an IPA when I ordered it and wasn't sure if I liked it at first.
Now I realize how great this beer really is.
Poured into Duvel tulip from a bottle label 06/09/11.
The appearance is very inviting, beautiful golden, copper color with and outstanding 2 fingers of head and great even lacing.
The smell is intense floral and citrus, it just smells DAMN good!!
Taste is very nice and smooth, not overpowering, with a wonderfull finish that leaves you wanting another right away.
It sits well in the mouth, very smooth and refreshing to the tongue.
Over probably one of, it not my favorite IPA.
I think it just replaced Surly Furious as my favorite, at least in this sitting.
This one never seems to let me down!
(Wondering if the "Bros." might review again to see if might be better for them now.)

07-23-2011 03:06:25 | More by homersimpson67
Hanby

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

A- Pours a deep amber colour. Very thick, almost cloudy. It has a surprising amount of head which lingers throughout.

S- Strong hoppy smell; very inviting.

T- Bold, bitter hops, and lots of them. It has a good zing; strong hops, as well as citrus and other fruity flavors. Delicious.

M- Good carbonation.

O- Very good IPA. It has an intense flavour, but it's well balanced bitterness with citrus. I'll definitely come back to Two Hearted Ale.

The first couple times I tried an IPA, I didn't like it much at all, but it grew on me, and now it's one of my favourite styles, especially for summer.

07-21-2011 01:15:39 | More by Hanby
huhl23

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from bottle into DFH snifter.

Tan-orange with a good, lasting one finger head, slight haze and nice lacing.

Smell is citrus hops, pine, and grapefruit, with a smidge of maltiness. Very nice.

Taste is really nice. A fine hoppy base with a nicely blended bit of piney grapefruit and just a touch of malt. Just a barely detectable sweetness and perfect bitterness rounds out the flavors nicely. A great IPA.

Feel is smooth, rich, finely yet amply carbonated, and medium bodied. Very good. One of my favorite single IPA's. Will be in my fridge for years to come.

07-20-2011 15:28:39 | More by huhl23
Lightbearer2012

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

I have had this beer before and thought it was tasty but it was an older bottle. This one is dated 6/09/11 so it is fairly fresh. Considering I am in Southwest Florida, this is about as fresh as we we can get so I am optimistic. 12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Appearance- this beer is a looker with golden orange hues but interestingly hazy and not as clear as I expected. Great lacing and and off white head that has decent retention. The bubbles keep the surface a little frothy.

Smell- the smell is as expected malt and hops but to me is not the strongest feature of this beer.

Taste- well, as with most ipa beers freshness is key and I am loving the flavor of this particular bottle much more than the last few I had. Man this tastes good! Citrusy hops and enough malt to give it balance.

Mouthfeel- medium carbonation but the perfect amount for this beer. Smooth and creamy. Outstanding.

Overall- this beer is praised by most people and with this fresh version I agree. In the South Florida heat this beer is so incredibly refreshing. Check the date, buy it fresh and you will understand the lofty reviews.

07-19-2011 23:06:55 | More by Lightbearer2012
TheStig

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Dated 6/10/11,

The bottle says "incredible floral hop aroma" and it's not lying! Just cracking the cap releases an immense bouquet of flowery fruit scents, like banana, pineapple and apple. Pouring it into the glass allows for that pineapple note to really come into focus. I don't detect any grain, grass, oat or other typical scent.

Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

07-19-2011 17:42:06 | More by TheStig
AmericanGothic

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint. Bottled on 6/23/11.

A: Pours a clear, light golden orange with one finger of off-white head. Strong retention and lace.

S: Sweet, light fruits (peach) with a little mint hiding in the background.

T: Mellow pine bitterness up front, softens to a bit of semi-sweet grapefruit in the middle before a long finish with more mellow pine and a little biscuit. Towards the end of the glass, the mint whisper from the aroma shows up in the finish as well.

M: Quite light and refreshing feeling.

O: One of the best of the style, well worth seeking out. Drink it and be happy to be alive. Cheers!

07-18-2011 22:58:14 | More by AmericanGothic
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle dated June 10, 2011. Poured on July 18, 2011. I try to review IPAs when they're less than a month old so next time I have this fresher I may come back and edit this review.

Pours a hazy caramel golden yellow. I don't know if this color is inherently this attractive or I've just come to find it attractive because it's what most of my favorite IPAs look like, but I get excited when I see it. Huge head to start with, which fades to a merely good sized head which sticks around forever. The head is white like compacted snow and matches the color of the beer perfectly.

Smells gooood. Orange, lemon, pine, maybe even bananas. Lots of hops, lots of citrus.

Taste follows the nose with tons of citrus and a good bit of pine as well. There's a nice sweet malt backbone which lets all the great hop flavors run wild without being abrasive or ruining the beer's drinkability.

Mouthfeel is great, very smooth and creamy but with awesome carbonation.

This beer is my go to IPA when I can get it. It's the standard by which I judge other IPAs. If it's not my very favorite, it's at least in the top few. I feel like I've enjoyed past bottles even a little more than I'm enjoying this one, but I've never been disappointed with it. Just an awesome beer.

9.0/10

07-18-2011 18:22:51 | More by AlexFields
justintcoons

2.7/5  rDev -36.8%

A: Pours amber with golden highlights with half a finger head that dissipates quickly. Sudsy, scattered lacing slides down the side of the glass. Low carbonation.

N: Citrus, pine and light caramel notes.

T: Lemon citrus and pine upfront followed by hints of navel orange and some very light grains in the background. Finishes with spicy pine, citrus rind and a light floral bouquet.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, somewhat sticky and dry.

O: Nice bitterness and American hop profile but lacks dimension from such a light malt backbone. This is essentially hop-water but fans of West Coast IPAs will love this beer.

07-18-2011 00:02:50 | More by justintcoons
WankelEngine

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: A clear golden color with some pleasing visible carbonation. There is an off-white head of one finger which is fairly foamy with larger bubbles interspersed across the top. It fades moderately quickly to thin cap of foam and leaves heavy lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Heavy on the hops; mostly floral and pine smell with just a hint of citrus in the background.

T: Hops dominate the flavor as they do the smell. They contribute pine, floral notes and grass cuttings to the flavor. There is little in the way of fruit or citrus to taste and very little sweetness. A decent dose of caramel malts helps temper the bitterness slightly, and provides a bit of balance to the drink. The aftertaste is moderate in length and intensity and seems to highlight the earthy grass flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is somewhere between light and medium bodied. Aftertaste is fairly bitter but that doesn’t affect drinkability very much.

O: When I’m looking for a cost efficient IPA, this is hard to beat. It has many of the characteristics of a strong IPA, but I could drink this all evening without any problem.

07-17-2011 23:49:41 | More by WankelEngine
Suick

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Well,
After travelling for 10 years and trying hundreds and hundreds of different beers, I have settled on this as my favorite. I have actually tried many of the top on here, but for me they don't hold a candle to Bell's Two Hearted.

I think all of the pros have covered what the overall flavor of the beer, but this beer has the best finish of any beer, period. I will also remark on a few things I have noticed after consuming this product for years.

1) There is alot of inconsistency with the brew. When its on, it can't be beat, but there are times when it is off and has some strange characteristics. I know how hard the brewing process is, but I think this inconsistency does affect the product...Could be the hops as well.

2) This is an awesome six pack for a gift. I don't know how many people that have come back to me and said they now drink it regularly...because it is addicting.

3) Two hearted goes really well with cheese and fish...At least it does for me, I am no specialist in food, but I will say that I like it alot with these.

07-16-2011 00:00:59 | More by Suick
Kromes

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A: A hazy gold with a finger's width white head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles. Good lacing.

S: Sweet malts and a strong pine hop aroma.

T: More of the same, a nice smooth and sweet malt flavor with some floral (not bitter) pine hop. Very simple and delicious beer.

M: Medium body, good carbonation. Finish is a touch bitter, but mostly sweet pine.

O: Very good beer. Definitely a go to for summer days when you don't want a heavy IPA, but still want flavor to your beer.

07-15-2011 20:44:45 | More by Kromes
DrewV

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a bottle (6/15/11 date) out of the beer fridge at 45 degrees into a Nonic glass.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow in the glass with a 2-finger frothy white head. Absolutely gorgeous heavy lacing coats the glass as the head recedes.

S: Citrusy hops up front, mainly tangerine with some lemon peel and grapefruit. Very sweet, pleasant aroma. No alcohol detected.

T: More smooth tangerine and grapefruit. A slight malt backbone supports the hops, although the hops dominate from start to finish. Lemon peel is detected in the aftertaste. Very refreshing brew. Absolutely no alcohol detected whatsoever. Amazing.

M: Creamy, but thin, mouthfeel. More sweet than bitter, and quite dry overall. No real lingering bitterness.

O: A very high quality brew, to be sure. A shame I can't get this in my area. Definitely something I'd keep in the beer fridge rotation if I had regular access to it.

NOTE: I can see where people might be somewhat unimpressed by this brew, as it's not a "huge" beer. But in my opinion, its strength lies in its ability to maintain a "low profile" while boasting a 7% ABV and drinking incredibly smoothly with plenty of hop refreshness without being overly bitter or thick bodied. This would make a great (but dangerous) summer day kick-back-and-enjoy-the-day pale ale. A very solid "A" brew here.

07-15-2011 01:27:52 | More by DrewV
tobelerone

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Dark colored, spicy IPA. Great nose full of complex aromas, flavors are deep and intricate, with a good balance of hop bitterness, spice and floral notes, malt backbone and mild booziness. Packs a decent punch, drinkable but you might not want to have too many. Overall, a very good AIPA that keeps its flavors in beautiful harmony, doesn't overwhelm with excessive bitterness. You can really taste the subtleties of this beer. Oh Bells get thyself to New Jersey soon please!

07-11-2011 14:47:43 | More by tobelerone
DabblinWiscCraft

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy amber wheat color with an inch of pale cream head that falls to about an eighth of an inch but has legs and leaves some nice cling. The bouquet is very inviting: citrus, pine, and herbal/grass hop notes are all there, with a healthy caramel malt presence. The taste is a hop parade from start to finish. Pronounced pine, citrus rind, and grassy flavors are balanced carefully above a slightly toasted malt undercurrent. Prominent hop bitterness--crisp and clean--closes things. The feel is on the lighter side of medium-bodied, with acidic brightness and nice effervescence.

This is a big, bold, well-put-together IPA that's loaded with hop flavor and deftly balanced. Probably the best example of an American IPA out of the Midwest that I've tried. Well worth going out of your way to try, especially if you can get it on tap.

07-11-2011 04:50:51 | More by DabblinWiscCraft
JayAre46

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A - 12oz long neck, poured into a brooklyn tulip, 2 finger off white head, on top of a transparent burnt orange color with some pale orange hues shining thoughout the edges, shows good retention and lacing down the glass.

A - citrusy zest, dry lemon peel, pale biscuty maltyness, very par aroma. considering the praise this one gets

T - watery with a good biscut malt throughout, the flavors are fruity citrus and are not abundant, a little pine hop character and orange and lemon peel dryness, no alcohol present and well balanced.

M - medium to light bodied, the carbonation is closer to medium and it is in the middle of crisp and smooth. this is the worst part of the beer IMO it needs more body and a creamy feeling

O - ok this beer is completely overrated and i do not understand how it gets the recognition it does, a dissappointment to say the least. i can say that the beer is clean but not above many in the style for me. sorry homers, lets get real with out selves

07-10-2011 23:02:55 | More by JayAre46
DustinPowers74

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Very solid IPA. Aroma is sweet and citrusy. Lots of grapefruit with an initial hoppy bite that quickly fades. Medium palate. Very smooth and balanced. incredible lacing and an overall extremely creamy body and mouthfeel. An excellent IPA where you can never go wrong.

07-09-2011 18:53:05 | More by DustinPowers74
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.