Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Kromes

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A: A hazy gold with a finger's width white head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles. Good lacing.

S: Sweet malts and a strong pine hop aroma.

T: More of the same, a nice smooth and sweet malt flavor with some floral (not bitter) pine hop. Very simple and delicious beer.

M: Medium body, good carbonation. Finish is a touch bitter, but mostly sweet pine.

O: Very good beer. Definitely a go to for summer days when you don't want a heavy IPA, but still want flavor to your beer.

07-15-2011 20:44:45 | More by Kromes
DrewV

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a bottle (6/15/11 date) out of the beer fridge at 45 degrees into a Nonic glass.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow in the glass with a 2-finger frothy white head. Absolutely gorgeous heavy lacing coats the glass as the head recedes.

S: Citrusy hops up front, mainly tangerine with some lemon peel and grapefruit. Very sweet, pleasant aroma. No alcohol detected.

T: More smooth tangerine and grapefruit. A slight malt backbone supports the hops, although the hops dominate from start to finish. Lemon peel is detected in the aftertaste. Very refreshing brew. Absolutely no alcohol detected whatsoever. Amazing.

M: Creamy, but thin, mouthfeel. More sweet than bitter, and quite dry overall. No real lingering bitterness.

O: A very high quality brew, to be sure. A shame I can't get this in my area. Definitely something I'd keep in the beer fridge rotation if I had regular access to it.

NOTE: I can see where people might be somewhat unimpressed by this brew, as it's not a "huge" beer. But in my opinion, its strength lies in its ability to maintain a "low profile" while boasting a 7% ABV and drinking incredibly smoothly with plenty of hop refreshness without being overly bitter or thick bodied. This would make a great (but dangerous) summer day kick-back-and-enjoy-the-day pale ale. A very solid "A" brew here.

07-15-2011 01:27:52 | More by DrewV
tobelerone

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Dark colored, spicy IPA. Great nose full of complex aromas, flavors are deep and intricate, with a good balance of hop bitterness, spice and floral notes, malt backbone and mild booziness. Packs a decent punch, drinkable but you might not want to have too many. Overall, a very good AIPA that keeps its flavors in beautiful harmony, doesn't overwhelm with excessive bitterness. You can really taste the subtleties of this beer. Oh Bells get thyself to New Jersey soon please!

07-11-2011 14:47:43 | More by tobelerone
DabblinWiscCraft

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy amber wheat color with an inch of pale cream head that falls to about an eighth of an inch but has legs and leaves some nice cling. The bouquet is very inviting: citrus, pine, and herbal/grass hop notes are all there, with a healthy caramel malt presence. The taste is a hop parade from start to finish. Pronounced pine, citrus rind, and grassy flavors are balanced carefully above a slightly toasted malt undercurrent. Prominent hop bitterness--crisp and clean--closes things. The feel is on the lighter side of medium-bodied, with acidic brightness and nice effervescence.

This is a big, bold, well-put-together IPA that's loaded with hop flavor and deftly balanced. Probably the best example of an American IPA out of the Midwest that I've tried. Well worth going out of your way to try, especially if you can get it on tap.

07-11-2011 04:50:51 | More by DabblinWiscCraft
JayAre46

3.33/5  rDev -22%

A - 12oz long neck, poured into a brooklyn tulip, 2 finger off white head, on top of a transparent burnt orange color with some pale orange hues shining thoughout the edges, shows good retention and lacing down the glass.

A - citrusy zest, dry lemon peel, pale biscuty maltyness, very par aroma. considering the praise this one gets

T - watery with a good biscut malt throughout, the flavors are fruity citrus and are not abundant, a little pine hop character and orange and lemon peel dryness, no alcohol present and well balanced.

M - medium to light bodied, the carbonation is closer to medium and it is in the middle of crisp and smooth. this is the worst part of the beer IMO it needs more body and a creamy feeling

O - ok this beer is completely overrated and i do not understand how it gets the recognition it does, a dissappointment to say the least. i can say that the beer is clean but not above many in the style for me. sorry homers, lets get real with out selves

07-10-2011 23:02:55 | More by JayAre46
DustinPowers74

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Very solid IPA. Aroma is sweet and citrusy. Lots of grapefruit with an initial hoppy bite that quickly fades. Medium palate. Very smooth and balanced. incredible lacing and an overall extremely creamy body and mouthfeel. An excellent IPA where you can never go wrong.

07-09-2011 18:53:05 | More by DustinPowers74
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

12oz brown bottle with pry off cap poured in a pint glass. Purchased from Knightly Spirits in Orlando.

Pale orange-gold colour and just a little hazy. Off white head is 1/8 inch on the pour and recedes to a thin ring around the edge. Lots of carbonation streams.

Big juicy aroma of citrus hops and malt. Sweet with hints of pine and herbs in the background.

Big assault on the palate. Dominant hops throughout with just a touch of malt backbone. Malt makes a brief cameo in the middle. Strong bitter hops off the start and resurgent again at the finish. Grapefruit peel, pine needles and noble hop combination leave a puckering feeling at the end.

A little on the watery side for an ale. Oily feeling coats the mouth. Lots of carbonation scrubbing the taste buds.

I don't know what the big deal is about this beer. It's all hops with no balance at all. You get a little malt in the aroma, but it's all but non-existant in the taste. I'm not a fan of beers that lean too far away from balance and that makes this beer slightly above average at best.

07-09-2011 05:03:46 | More by Noxious26
SurlyZach

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from bottle into a Grain Belt pint glass...

A--Nice rich golden color, with a really thick white head
S--Can definitely smell the hops, along with some citrus and pine scents
T--Great balance of tastes--hops, pine, citrus; just the right amount of bitterness. Finishes with a bit of a sweet aftertaste.
M--Very smooth, dry, and easy drinking
O--This is one of my very favorite IPAs. A great combo of tastes..and very easy to drink.

07-08-2011 01:54:27 | More by SurlyZach
PollardsVision

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

I am not an experienced beer taster/reviewer.

I can tell this is a wonderful beer and probably well-balanced for most. It has a really nice hoppy bite, but for me, it's a bit too sweet compared to my favorite IPAs.

Maybe my tastes will change down the road and I do look forward to trying it again.

07-06-2011 12:43:59 | More by PollardsVision
draheim

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Full disclosure: I've been anticipating this one for a while. I've had only two of these previously, early in my craft beer career (last November/December) when I thought it was one of the best beers I'd ever had. I'm interested to see how much my palate has evolved since then. Thanks davey for sending this one!

12oz bottle (bottled 5/4/11) poured into my trusty Duvel tulip.

Hazy golden copper with a 3-finger head. Nice lacing.

Aroma is sweet floral hops, some subtle fruity notes.

Taste is definitely hoppy, but balanced. Maybe not quite as smooth as I remembered, but still a very nice creamy mouthfeel, and absolutely drinkable with a super clean finish. This is a well-crafted beer that I still wish I could pick up anytime I wanted.

07-06-2011 06:01:46 | More by draheim
bigaltemple

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -4%

12 oz. bottle from batch #10307

A great amber hue. Sunset orange color appears at closer look. Produces a one-finger soapy, white head that sticks around for the ride. Really great lacing.

Amazing smells coming from this one. A full blast of citrusy hops come right at you. Light floral scents as well. The hops aren't so overpowering though as to completely mask some light bready malts.

Tastes delicious! The hops start sweet then turn slightly resinous. Not a complete tongue-scraper, which I don't mind. Find it to be really well balanced.

Light-bodied with extremely good carbonation. Very crisp, light finish.

I enjoyed this beer immensely, and would have no complaints about a steady supply of it in my fridge.

07-05-2011 01:08:11 | More by bigaltemple
Marty30

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Batch 10419 5-26-11. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glassat fridge temp.

A. Golden orange body with a beautiful fluffy offwhite head.Decent lacing stuck to the glass.Looks like good carb coming off the bottom.

S. Pine and grapefruit dominate,with a little pineapple.Lots of floral notes as well.

T. Up front is the grapefruit and pinyness.Pineapple and some grainy bread.Nicely balenced IPA.

M. Great feel for an IPA,medium and smooth.Very creamy.Carbonation is good,subtle on the palate.

Overall just an excellent IPA! I buy this all the time and will continue to do so.

07-04-2011 23:15:25 | More by Marty30
pb9613

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: This beer pours the classic golden color of an american IPA with a dense white head. The head slowly dissipates but still covers the beer has great lacing.

Smell: Intense resin/pine aroma with classic grapefruit/citrus notes from the hops.

Taste: Very prominent bitterness, which is not overpowering. There are strong pine notes with background citrus hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Great smooth and creamy body, but on the lighter side than most IPA‘s.

Overall: An excellent IPA. The first time you have Two Hearted Ale, you will wonder about all the hype. But try a different IPA and them come back to a Two Hearted and you will understand how well this beer is put together.

07-04-2011 13:34:30 | More by pb9613
LtCracker20

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Pours a brilliant clear golded body with a big 3-finger rocky and pillowy white head that stays for quite a while. Nice lacing.

S- Smell is big on piney and citrusy hops up front. Almost a slight wintergreen aroma to it as well as a slight spicy pepper smell.

T- Just like the smell, but a little more subdued. The citrus and pine hop flavors are all there, along with the minty and peppery spiciness, as well as some sweetness.

MF- Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation.

07-04-2011 04:35:52 | More by LtCracker20
EnemyWithin

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle on May 8th, 2011 in tulip plastic glass. Then on tap in June 2011, and in bottle into Unibroue glass in June/July 2011 multiple times.

Appearance: 4.5

Clear golden orange body with dense white 1inch head that slowly dissipates to leave a near complete thin, but present covering and has great lacing.

Smell: 4

Grapefruit/citrus aroma from the hops, with less intense resin/pine notes. Having try this many times now over, I knwo that the aroma of the hops can be quite subdued if not a fresh bottle, but are bursting when fresh on tap.

Taste: 4

Strong piney notes with background citrus characteristics of the hops that fade in and out. Very prominent bitterness, but not overpowering. I find these hop characteristics to be extremely well-balance with the crisp and bready/?light caramel malt. Finishes with nice bitterness and a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: 4

Great smooth and creamy body, a little on the lighter side, but very appropriate. There is a hint less astringency and dryness then I expected (and have encountered with other IPAs). This makes a very refreshing and welcoming finish that is incredibly easy-drinking.

Overall: 4.5

A very nice IPA. There is something that I can’t quite figure out with just my first and only two-hearted that makes its very smooth and easy to drink. Perhaps the excellent presence of flavours of the malt and the slight sweetness it offers. Yet, the bitter nature of the IPA is also extremely prominent. When I first had this in a bottle, via a trade, I was a little disappointed. Yet, in subsequent samplings on-tap and in a fresh bottle, the beer was notably better, with more aroma and citrus taste.

Highly recommend if fresh.

07-03-2011 14:29:18 | More by EnemyWithin
Jammies

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

A- golden orange with an inch and a quarter of foam. Decent retention and good lacing

S- sweet and leafy with a hint of citrus

T- hoppy with citrusy notes. Good balance

M- light and watery. Lots of hops that stick to the tongue.

O- Great beer, Good quality and available year round.

07-02-2011 17:04:55 | More by Jammies
gestyr

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Poured a nice orange-gold into a pint glass. The head was whiate and long lasting.

S: Citrus, floral, malty, nice balanced smell

T: Very hoppy without a bite. Floral and citrus are there along with a malty background. Slight bit of caramel flavor comes through

M: Light bodied with carbonation present but no sting. Satisfying

O: Nice beer. This hit the spot on an evening when I wanted a balanced IPA. I will buy again. It would go great with a steak or burger.

07-02-2011 00:08:18 | More by gestyr
dcloeren

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

taken from notes

Poured a hazy golden honey with 2 fingers of soapy white head. Decent lacing

Floral and citrus hops make up the nose with faint whiffs of tropical fruit

Taste follows the nose. Hop forward but overly sweet for my liking.

Medium body and carbonation. Dry hopped aftertaste but with a strangely powdery dryness

Overall this was a good, not great IPA. Definitely overhyped on this website without a doubt. I would buy this regularly if I had it available to me but would not go out of my way by any means.

07-01-2011 15:54:09 | More by dcloeren
rickyleepotts

Arizona

I have had this beer time and time again. It’s a good “go to” beer, especially when you find a bar that doesn’t have a wide selection of beers. I drink this one a lot over at Golf 365. All the guys there really dig this stuff. It’s a good, standard IPA.

The beer smells like… like an IPA. Again, this beer doesn’t knock my socks off, but it does have a familiar and repeatable flavor. It smells like any other IPA you have had, and drinks like one too. It has a hint of carbonation on the front of the palate, spread itself thin on the tongue, and finishes smooth and wet. (I use that word a lot… wet.)

The aftertaste does stick around for a little while. One thing I did learn about this beer, here on 1001 Bottles, is the high ABV. I didn’t realize it was 7%. I always assumed it was a 5 or 6%. The beer is also readily available at pretty much any and every liquor store and grocery store you can find. So if you want to try it, it won’t be hard to find.

The label on the bottle has a fish on it… I am sure that has something to do with the city it is brewed in. Having only been to Michigan once, I can’t speak on behalf of the patrons… but it just seems like a place that would breed a lot of fishermen. That’s not a bad thing, but the fish on the bottle makes sense.

I like the beer… a lot. Of course, I like a lot of IPAs. I could and will drink this beer over and over again.

07-01-2011 03:36:19 | More by rickyleepotts
angrybabboon

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

Review adapted from notes taken 2/2/11

Appearance: A really nice shade of amber/orange, starts off with a fluffy white head that fades to great lacing

Smell: Hoppy - not kicking-you-in-the-face level hoppy, but a great level of fresh citrus and resin with floral and herbal notes - some malts, lightly toasted biscuits

Taste: Simply perfect - when this beer is fresh, the hops are wonderfully complex - juicy orange, tangerine, and grapefruit - some hints of tropical fruits, mostly pineapple - pine as well - kind of spicy - masterfully balanced by some caramel malts - bitter, not not palette-destroying

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well-carbonated and refreshing

Overall: This beer almost makes me weep (see below)

When I first had a fresh bottle of Two Hearted, I became angry. Why? Because it's so damn perfect, that's why. For years I have been searching for a well-hopped, well-balanced, not over-the-top, solid IPA. This is it. This is a beer that I want in my fridge 365 days a year. My belief in this was further reinforced when I had the pleasure of acquiring a super-fresh six pack. It makes me genuinely heartbroken that I live outside of the distribution area. Someday... I will find a way to get this with minimal effort.

06-28-2011 20:34:22 | More by angrybabboon
nathanrford

Alabama

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

This is my go to beer. At my local haunt they have an overwhelming number of beers on the menu. Any time the wait staff comes to the table and I'm unprepared to order I simply order this lovely Ale. The fruity, hoppy notes stand out and appear strong, but never overpowering.

06-28-2011 05:40:54 | More by nathanrford
mocktm

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Have had a serious amount of this one brew in my day. I guess the time has finally come for a formal review. 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Dark golden orange hue with a finger or so worth of chalk white, sticky head. Decent retention with moderate lace.

Copious amounts of earthy floral hops on the nose, accompanied by very prevalent grapefruit and lemon aromas. But seriously, this thing has some hops. This is not the lightweight's IPA.

As expected, serious pine up front with a lasting dry bitterness. Malt sweetness is there for balance, but again, this is the hops' show. Orange, lemon and grapefruit citrus round out the beer perfectly, masking the alcohol presence.

Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Easy drinking IPA with a sweet dry finish. Love it.

A near flawless IPA that places the hops in the center without aggressive and harsh overkill. One of my go-to beers which I still argue is better, not to mention cheaper, than their HopSlam.

06-27-2011 19:31:09 | More by mocktm
deezbrewz

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Bell's Two Hearted remains one of my favorite IPA's. It's a fruity, citrusy, hoppy delight.

Some may consider it to be unbalanced, but I like its citrus character. I find it refreshing in the summer. Don't let them serve it to you too cold either. Like any IPA, the true character comes out when its served a bit warmer (around 35-40 degrees).

Seeing as IPA's are based so much on preference, I wouldn't over look this one based on bad reviews. I honestly think it's a contender with such great IPA's as Racer 5 IPA, Founders Centennial IPA and Huma.

Enjoy!

06-27-2011 16:43:51 | More by deezbrewz
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Pours a hazy light bronzed orange with a dense 2 finger head that leaves average lacing.

S - Big floral hops along with grapefruit/tangerine. Lots of apricots and melon on top of a bready pale malt.

T - Sweet melon, sweet pale malt, ginger, hops provide an edgy lemony floral flavor. The citrus turns to green pine and is present but not pronounced. This dries out at the end leaving a different kind of bitterness. Bold, yet not harsh.

M - Medium firm body, good carbonation.

The hops are bold, yet not harsh. Impeccable balance with a variety of hop flavors. Malt holds up strong as well.

06-24-2011 02:19:43 | More by StaveHooks
kylehay2004

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Though we may like to rate beers based on many properties, its all about the taste and this IPA is one of the best in this category. As variable as IPAs can be, this beer captures to quintessential IPA flavor. Other IPAs seem to be variations of the Two Hearted Ale. This is a recurrent beer in my frig and a personal favorite.

06-24-2011 00:43:55 | More by kylehay2004
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.