Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
HOMEPL8

4.4/5  rDev +3%

For my first review, I'm going with one of my earliest favorites in the craft arena. My first taste of two hearted came in cask version, but I was hooked...I enjoy it equally as much on tap, but the cask experience is a great changes of pace and the freshness is wonderful.

My local craft beer bar is pretty good about clean glasses, so the pour is pretty consistent in that the bartenders know how to pour correctly...my early adventures into IPA's brought one noticable flavour to my mouth...grapefruit...the funny thing is, I hate grapefruit, but the flavor in a beer just works and Two Hearted nails it for me...I've grown to be a fan of Centennial Hops, and the consistency of this beer brings me joy.

I can't break a beer down like the majority of the reviewers on here...I'm learning...it'll get better...I just know I love this beer.

03-09-2011 19:07:23 | More by HOMEPL8
haazer

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured this into a pint glass. According to the batch finder on Bell's website this was bottled on February 9th, hopefully its still relatively fresh, should be.

A- Beer is a golden color with orange highlights, and a burnt lemon skin. The head forms well, thick and bubbly, about one a half fingers worth. Good amount of carbonation rising throughout the beer. Theres good amounts of lacing left on the glass where the foam subsides.

S- Great citrusy aroma upfront, blended with tingey centennial hop aroma. Good balance in aroma as pale malts are detected at the end of each whiff. Also a little bit of lemon zest and orange peel.

T- A great balanced IPA. Earthy hop flavors sting the tongue initially. Then lead into a pale/caramel malt base that keep the hoppiness in check. But at the end of the gulps I'm taking theres a pungent hoppy bitterness that comes back. The citrus is very slight in the background. Phenolic alcohol can be tasted, but is not an overbearing flavor.

M- The brew is medium bodied, and feels leafy throughout the mouth. Good tickle from the carbonation, as well as the prickling sensation from the bittering hops. They go together quite nicely.

D- This is a great drinking IPA. One of the best bittering IPA's I've had but it doesn't abandon the malt bill. I'll be looking for this one more often, would love to find this on tap somewhere. I actually enjoyed this more so then Hopslam.

03-09-2011 04:21:11 | More by haazer
cocogan

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Got on-tap at Blue Door Pub

Visual: Gold in color, no head, minimal lacing.

Aroma: Was hard for me to get a good smell, not sure if it was the beer or the atmosphere, but I picked up bits of lemon and toasted malt.

Taste: Nuts, earth, grass, and lemon rind. Hops finish dry in yo mouth.

Mouth: Average, medium body, normal carbonation for an ipa.

Drunkability: Wouldn't have a problem tipping a few of these back but it would not be my first choice for an ipa. The taste is missing something, just a bit too dull maybe.

03-09-2011 04:17:41 | More by cocogan
nova009

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a golden orange with a bit of a copper tint, nice one finger fluffy white head appears and slowly dissipates, spotty lacing

S- nice strong hop aroma, piney and citrusy at the same time, somewhat floral as well, bitter citrus is the dominant smell

T- bitter hops hit the back of the tongue immediately, earthy, very citrusy with the taste of bitter grapefruit rind, slightly floral but it gets overwhelmed by the bitterness, still a very sold flavor for an IPA, slight alcohol taste at the end

M- medium body, really nice balance of carbonation, finishes somewhat dry but not overly so, alight alcohol burn

D- this is one of my favorite IPA's, one that hopheads will definitely love, this is a great session IPA for me although they can catch up on you

03-09-2011 03:31:23 | More by nova009
LordSMAF

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Pours a golden copper color. White head about 1-1.5 inches. Nice lacing.

S - Lots of floral notes along with some hop aroma.

T - Again, lots of floral notes with some malt. Hops are up front and present here with some citrus notes sneaking around as well. Good amount of bitterness.

M - Light to medium-bodied.

D - Very drinkable. Smooth.

03-09-2011 03:16:27 | More by LordSMAF
brew3crew

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Batch 10216

A-golden amber with a nice white head
S-nice citrsy hops invite me in...
T-amazing. Sweet grapefruit taste that really wowed me for the first time in a while. I always forget how great this beer is
M-medium bodied and so smooth
D-rediculosuly drinkable, awesome!

03-09-2011 01:17:17 | More by brew3crew
notchucknorris

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Hazy golden color with a thin, off-white head.

S: Floral hops and some pineapple thrown in. The smell reminded me a bit of Sierra Nevada, but much much better.

T: Near perfect balance between some citrus hops and malts. Pineapple, grapefruit, citrus hops and a bit of funk as it warms. Really tasty.

03-08-2011 23:38:52 | More by notchucknorris
Kelly88

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Had on tap. Served in your standard pint glass.

A- very large off white head probably about 2 inches. Color is dark gold and is non translucent. Lots of lace hugging my class. It looks like I just squeezed some soap in my glass.

S- very floral hop aroma. That is mixing with a touch of grapefruit. Pretty strong nose.

T- lots of earthy floral hops upfront then on the finish you get the citrus fruits and more floral notes. Malts are there at first but quickly swallowed by the hops. Not balanced but a great hop forward brew.

M- light medium bodied that has a little bit of prickly feel. Not anything wrong here. I like the prickly feeling with bitter brews.

D- this might be one of the most drinkable ipas out there. I could and regularly do put down 4-5 of these no problem. If you like ipas you could drink this all day and all night till you pass out.

03-08-2011 18:11:26 | More by Kelly88
gdrydenc

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to a generous BA trader for this one!

A - Pours a nice golden straw color. A finger of thick white head sits atop the liquid and slowly dies down, leaving fingers lacing the side.

S - Fruity, hoppy. I can tell it's pretty balanced just by the smell, which I love. Grapefruit is the main fruit I'm getting out of it, maybe a few other citruses.

T - The grapefruit remains in the taste, but slightly more subdued than the smell. The front is fruity and slightly bitter, but the finish is clean with a good amount of malt. I love a beer that finishes strong, as I take time between my sips. I think I may have

M - Slightly creamy, the carbonation is good. I would like this to be a little bit thicker (syrupy?) which I rarely find myself saying, but it seems a bit thin to me.

D - Excellent drinkability. I like this beer a lot and I wish that it was available near me!

03-08-2011 04:50:02 | More by gdrydenc
haddon

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

pours a golden yellow that reminds me of the bales of straw I used to load in the barn during those childhood KY Autumns. nice thick three finger head that tickled my nose on the first couple of sips.

citrus hops all over the nose. like cutting into a fresh grapefruit when the juices splash all over your face. there is a sweet and malty backbone hiding out to bring balance but mostly citrus all the way.

first sip says... nice! grapefruit and clear citrus explosion all over the place. just like on the nose, there is a sweet malty note that brings balance. the piney bite hangs around throughout the whole beer. really likes how it holds up.

medium body with nice clean and fresh finish

could drink this all day long on draft. as is case with many IPAs, much better fresh off the tap than out of the bottle. I believe it's genius is in it's subtlety... and in an over-the-top American craft beer scene, that's not easy to do.

03-07-2011 21:03:19 | More by haddon
JesteR14

A- Nice brown color, one finger head that doesn't last long. Small bubbles coming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Strong IPA smell but some malt and some other flavors in this smell i can put my finger on.

T- malty PA with a hint of orange, lots of pack from the booze that makes this a more flavorful sipping beer. Citrus and floral hops gives it a sort of balance.

M- Big taste for me, that leaves a sharp after taste. The carbonation is nice and the citrus balences the flavor.

D- Not a top on my list, but a good choice for somebody trying to get a good american IPA.

03-07-2011 06:42:43 | More by JesteR14
heysuz

Indiana

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Intro: 12 oz. bottle served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Thin head, less than a finger's width that does not stick at all, honey colored, slightly cloudy.

Smell: Can smell the hops, but not very strong, one dimensional.

Taste: Bitter or maybe slightly stale after taste but good hoppy tone and dryness to it.

Mouthfeel: Dry feel with a strong after taste, low carbonation.

Drink: Somewhat under whelmed in general, but would be a good starter beer for introduction to APA/IPAs.

03-06-2011 17:34:11 | More by heysuz
OldEngineOil

Washington

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Very good, easily accessible and affordable beer. One of the best craft beers in Michigan and it is available everywhere around that area. Bell's Expedition Stout is also a good one to try, although slightly less common, at least on tap. Maybe Michigan should shift its manufacturing from cars to beer. They seem to do pretty well on the beer end.

03-06-2011 07:04:33 | More by OldEngineOil
Brunite

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Not much really needs to be said here.

All aspects of this beer make it a top model for the style. Taste and smell are perfect. Love the grapefruity citrus notes perfectly balanced against the malt sweetness. Hopslam's little brother and one of my favorite beers. When the Hopslam is gone...this replaces it!

03-05-2011 12:32:35 | More by Brunite
oline73

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark golden color with one finger of off white head that goes away and leaves just a little bit of lacing.

Smell: Sweet citrus and herbal hops with some malt as well.

Taste: Citrus peel hop bitterness with a mild herbal note as well. A mildly sweet malt taste in the background. The hops stay on the tongue throughout the sip. Very crisp.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a good amount of carbonation for the style. Smooth with a very dry finish.

Drinkability: I really like this beer. I think it is very well balanced and I'll definitely come back to it.

03-05-2011 04:37:46 | More by oline73
larryi86

Delaware

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks betsona for this one!
12 oz bottle batch 10184 poured into a snifter

A- Hazy orange color with a three finger white head.

S- Very earthy/floral hops upfront, also getting citrus notes and a nice hint of malts giving a nice balance.

T- Not as big as the smell. I feel that the hops are good and bitter, but one-dimensional.

M- Smooth, medium body, crisp.

D- This is a good easy to drink IPA and really happy that I got to try it! I would not drink this all the time if I could buy it near me, but definitely would try to work it into trades if the other person had some to trade.

03-04-2011 02:58:45 | More by larryi86
GarthDanielson

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the beer is a slightly hazy orange-gold coloring with about two fingers of big-bubbled, airy, light white head. There is a heavy, fresh green hoppy and cedar aroma to it. In mouth, the beer has a smooth, sweet citrus foundation with green, bitter hops blooming into your tastebuds. Grapefruit highlights keep everything very well balanced. There is a quick, smooth finish, with bitter hops and very slight citrus balanced aftertaste. Extremely tasty, and the beers disappeared rather quickly from my fridge.

03-04-2011 00:44:02 | More by GarthDanielson
Janderson91

Alabama

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

I've had this beer many times and it's one of my favorite IPAs that are readily available. Batch number 10207, packaged on 02/09/11, enjoyed on 03/02/11. Pretty fresh considering how long it usually takes stuff to reach the beer wasteland of Alabama.

A - Poured into a DFH pint glass. Good looking light gold color with just slight haze. White one finger head, leaves splotchy lacing. Good looking beer.

S - As fresh as it is, the aroma seems somewhat muted for an IPA. What I can pick up, however, is quite good. Nice piney, resin hops with a good malt backbone. Quite fruity as well.

T - Taste is nice and balanced. Good sweet, nutty malts with a big hop bitterness. Citrus, resin, pine, and some fruity hoppiness. I'd like this bitterness to linger for a little longer but other than that, a very good IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is just a little thin and doesn't leave the taste on the tongue for quite long enough. Not bad though. That being said, I can drink this stuff like water. Delicious and very drinkable.

Another tasty one from Bell's as always. It's very good for the price and always available. Good stuff.

03-03-2011 05:19:29 | More by Janderson91
StJamesGate

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours hazy lemon-orange with a stiff white head. Big, oily fresh Centennial nose with some sour branch underneath. Orange hard candy malts - marmalade on toast, others have said - with lots of floral and resin hops that sit on the tongue with a sherbet creaminess. Perfumed finish and a salty linger. Medium, chewy and incredibly round and smooth.

Lovely! After a day of tastings, even with a fatigued palate and a fuzzy head, this stood head and shoulder above everything else. A big, silky, orangey, compulsively drinkable IPA.

03-02-2011 20:06:00 | More by StJamesGate
bertram

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours to a cloudy golden amber with a nice, one-finger head. A flavorful beer that is heavy on the hops, with a nicely balanced level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, with the hops and bitterness. A very crisp beer that you'll enjoy if you consider yourself a "hophead."

03-02-2011 07:47:26 | More by bertram
ProudBeerSnob

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Haven't had this brew in a while. Picked up from a recent trip to Ohio. Poured from bottle into pint glass. Straw color, very clear. Nice head with great lacing.

Nose is a bit plain; not much going on. A whiff of straw?

Not as asserive with the hops as I remember. Good hop bitterness, but nothing crazy. Maybe all the other BIG IPAs have spoiled (?) me, but this one is kind of underwhelming.

03-02-2011 02:10:26 | More by ProudBeerSnob
CampbellKe11

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Really like this beer. Nice aroma when i poured it from the bottle to the glass. Thought it tasted awesome, good beer for someone just starting to make the transition into the craft side of the world in my opinion. Very drinkable with a nice after taste.

03-01-2011 16:31:42 | More by CampbellKe11
Amalak

4.1/5  rDev -4%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.

A. Nice wheaty gold color, straw. Some head a lacing. It's a fairly clear brew.

S. Very strong hop and wheat blend. Some berry.

T. Very nice hoppy beer. There is a dark berry fruitiness to it and it's quite bubbly. The hops give it a good kick.

03-01-2011 03:45:01 | More by Amalak
Dave128

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

I've had this twice from a bottle and once on tap. The first two times I had it, bottle and then on tap, I wasn't too impressed. I was ready to write a mediocre review for this one with this last bottle, but it is surprising me! Let's see...

A - Beautiful hazy golden. Head is not too impressive, but lacing is quite nice.

S - Smells wonderful. Probably one of the nicest smelling IPAs I've had. Super citrusy, floral, and piny. All hops.

T - Very sweet and nice up front. citrusy in the middle and like sucking on a pinecone in the finish. VERY bitter beer. The first two times I had it, I thought it was extremely unbalanced. This go 'round it is still a little rough on the palate, but the other flavors pull it through pretty well. As with the nose, its all hops.

M - Crisp and nice. about medium body with very nice levels of carbonation.

D - Hmm... This one is kinda hard to call for me. I'm pretty impressed by this particular tasting, but I remember barely being able to finish the other two. It seemed like they were just liquid hop oil. Not much flavor too much bitterness. By this tasting I'm intrigued to try it yet again if given the opportunity, but it is just a little too pungent and I don't think I will be actively seeking it out.

02-28-2011 03:00:18 | More by Dave128
tbrown4

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz -> Weyerbacher tulip. Gift from my buddy Frank in Allentown, PA. Have had this several times before. Always a welcome addition to the fridge.

A - Bright gold, full two finger frothy head. Steady card bubbles. Sticky netted lacing stays through to the end.

S - Light orange and lemon, mild bready yeast, light hop pressense

T - Very hop forward. Carb helps this to feel crisp and clean. Light peppery notes. Malt is not nearly as present as in the nose. Nice bitter hoppy finish.

M - Heavy carb feel, other wise pretty light mouth feel.

D - The ABV is right about where I want most beers. After two you're feeling in just a tad but you can still fully enjoy it. I really like this beer as a solid go to IPA, an excellent representation of the style. I'd buy this as often as I could find it. I wish Bell's was in MD. I can only hope that they will in the future.

02-27-2011 23:43:35 | More by tbrown4
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.