Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
Naples

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz. brown bottle poured into a nonic, yielding a nice 2 inch off-white head which collapsed away from the sides and cosolidated at 1 inch. Maintained a nice 1 finger creamy head, with swirling in between drinks. The body was a cloudy amber.

Initially, pine dominated the nose. As the brew warmed, the pine shared the stage with grapefruit and some subtle floral notes. By the end of the brew, the floral and fruity elements moved into the front row.

Pine was the vanguard across the palate, followed by an impressive malt/grapefruit bomb, then pithy grapefruit, ending with a resiney surprise at the back of the tongue. The bitterness lingers, but not unpleasantly.

The Two Hearted was medium light in the mouth, with medium carbonation...very smooth.

Although I am not a hophead, I found this beer to be a pleasant surprise. It's not in my wheelhouse, but can see why it is a highly regarded brew. Lots to like here. I could drink a couple of these, then probably need to switch off.

04-07-2011 23:39:39 | More by Naples
GossageBrewery

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured this american IPA out of a 12 oz bottle and into a pint glass. The AIPA poured a hazy golden color and produced a nice thick 2 finger width head. Head retention on this beer is excellent and the lacing is one of the best I have seen. The aroma is nice and hoppy, a little above average for an AIPA. There were some notes of citrus. The taste of the beer is a little watery- Its a little weak with the amount of malt. Light body, it makes it a very drinkable IPA but I dont really look for that in an IPA. After the thinness subsides, there is a pronounced hop bite, but it does not linger. The finish has hints of citrus and it is slightly dry. Overall there is nothing special about this beer- does not come close to my top ten list of IPAs. But hey..its not like Bells makes a Kolsh right?

04-07-2011 22:53:32 | More by GossageBrewery
jifigz

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle poured into my Victory Tulip.

A: The appearance of this brew is very alluring as it shines a gorgeous orange.

S: Citrusy type smells are what dominate this beer's scent for me. Smells strongly of a grapefruit.

T: The taste mimics the smell pretty closely. First initial splash that hits your mouth floods your tongue with the citrus/grapefruit flavors. Leaves a nice lasting bitterness in your mouth.

M: A little over carbonated in my opinion. I would appreciate less bubbles, but not too bad.

O: A very good IPA. Very enjoyable to have with several types of heavier and creamier flavors such as steaks and rich alfredo sauces and such. It also packs the perfect ABV in my opinion, not too strong, but definitely high enough to help a heavy drinker catch a buzz if one is wanted. All things considered, I'd still choose a Hop Devil.

04-06-2011 20:02:45 | More by jifigz
bum732

Lesotho

4.4/5  rDev +3%

S: Piney, citrus, grapefruit mostly, some toasty breadiness

L: Slightly hazy golden yellow, tight white head with great retention and amazing lacing

T: Dry rindy malt leading to medium-high piney bitterness. Finishes quite dry and clean with some citrus fruit.

M: Medium-full bodied, medium carbonation.

Just a perfect balance of sweet and bitterness. Doesn't have that hoppy finish leading to palate fatigue common in many IPAs. Wonderful.

04-06-2011 01:57:24 | More by bum732
DStave

Iowa

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Served from a bottle:

A - The color of apple juice, two fingers of head.

S - I've just begun my beer journey, but the smell of this beer is amazing. Grapefruit and floral aromas invigorate the senses. Very clean.

T - Taste of pine, grapefruit with a hoppy finish. Aftertaste stays a while, though. I've had a few IPA's, and the hops seem to be what is the "thing." This definitely has that thing.

M - Very crisp and refreshing. Pretty decent carbonation, but I don't really care about carbonation. Be it a low carbonated stout or this, it doesn't matter.

Overall, it is probably the tastiest beer that I have had so far that I can actually find that is less than $10 per six pack. It makes me crave hopslam or the pliny's.

04-05-2011 07:05:43 | More by DStave
billshmeinke

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Middle of the road darkness orange/gold hue. Exceptionally clear with effervescent bubbles rushing around. Two finger rocky white head with huge chunky lacing left behind.

Light tropical fruit notes of pineapple and mango with a some earthiness and a touch of bread.

Sweet malts up front that are immediately overwhelmed with earthy, dank, and pineapple hops flavors. A dank/resinous bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect, could maybe use just a touch more carbonation.

This beer is very tasty overall. Could be amped up on the citrus/tropical fruit characteristics, but the alcohol is super well hidden, and it's very drinkable.

04-04-2011 02:09:58 | More by billshmeinke
Schneic8

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bottle to a mug. No brew date on bottle.

Appearance: Nice orangish/copper color. It poured a nice white head that lasts. It appears to have a nice amount of carbonation and good lacing.

Smell: Sweet citrus and floral scents. Smells great and is very appealing.

Taste: Nice strong flavor and slightly bitter. Well balanced with a hint of sweetness. The slight bitterness lasts well after the last drink.

Mouthfeel: Sits well in the mouth with a nice crisp feel. Carbonation is mildly high and goes smooth.

Overall: Very good beer that I will definitely purchase again. It sits relatively light and is easy to drink.

04-03-2011 21:38:44 | More by Schneic8
Justin23060

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Hazy golden w/ off white 3 finger head. Nice healthy dose of sediment. Pretty complex right from the smell. Pine, orange, grepefruit. Not much malt coming through all that hop smell. Tastewise... probably the best balance I've seen in an IPA so far. Floral hop is the star feature, but the pine comes through as well & not shampooey at all as I feared it might be. It's bold, sweet and finishes w/ a pleasant dryness. Mouthfeel is almost creamy with a nice thickness to it. I'd highly recommend it to IPA lovers.

04-03-2011 05:43:40 | More by Justin23060
Dan3279

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

I was lucky enough to find this on tap at a local bar and I'm glad that my first taste of this was on tap. There was a great hazy golden body with a nice inch and a half head that stuck around a bit with all the carbonation. The aroma of citrus, flowers and a small hint of honey were strong. First taste hit the hops first, but not overpowering, felt balanced a noticed a bit on the sweetness / honey at the end, and made me really want more. Very smooth and easy to drink several in one sitting. Its not as flashy as some of the other hyped IPA's, its just an all around great beer.

04-03-2011 00:51:01 | More by Dan3279
legalpete19340

4.4/5  rDev +3%

A: Poured a cloudy dull yellow with a huge whipped cream head that fell and hung around at a good half inch. Seems to coat the glass but not as much lacing as expected.

S: Beautiful white grapefruit all over the place. Hints of grape jelly and noticeable crystal malt scent.

T: Wonderful white grapefruit comes right out smooth. Some lemon too. The bitterness swings in afterwards all the way through the mid swig balanced by a nice malt profile represented by raw dough and light biscuits. Incredibly unique finish to this beer. Alcohol comes well after the finish for me.

M: Its very light and foamy. Keeps the drinking easy and not offensive.

O: I loved this beer. It had an incredibly unique malt and hop profile that mixed extremely well with the light body. Very drinkable. Like a grapefruit glazed scone..but not too sweet...in a good way.

04-03-2011 00:10:56 | More by legalpete19340
dogfishandi

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle pulled from my fridge, allowed to warm up about 20 minutes before drinking, poured into a bulb style glass. bottling code 10234 translates to 2-28-11 (about 1 month old).

pours out a fairly clear light copper, orange color. just some very light sediment visible. one and a half fingers of creamy white head. very nice retention and lots of sticky lace.

lots of pine resins at the forefront with some grapefruit citrus. a little lemon peel citrus noticable as well. not much malt detectable, but there is a little fruity, phenolic yeast noticable.

lots of grapefruit citrus and a decent amount of pine. hops rule for sure, just a hint of some bready malt tries to balance. again with just a hint of a yeasty bite, but nothing that really detracts from the beer, actually adds a slight touch of fruitiness.

a dry finish with lots of bitterness, almost a little sharp feeling. the lighter side of medium bodied. carbonation feels apropriate.

an easy session ipa for any hophead, definatly better than you average. i enjoyed this very much, and it would definatly be a staple if it was available in my area.

03-31-2011 23:29:44 | More by dogfishandi
SWMeyer4141

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I had this beer in my hands about 6 months ago but my mother-in-law drank it, then dumped it out b/c I left if in their fridge. Finally got it again, and this beer is not leaving my fridge.

Appearance-Light orange color with alot of haze. Very large head, pretty much white which leaves a some solid lacing. After 5 minutes head is still reasting on top.

Smell-Citrus Hops, and alot of it. Can't detect anything else really, citrus aroma is still nice though.

Taste-Sometimes simple is better. I've been drinking alot of DIPAs lately so it took me a few minutes to appreciate this beer. It tastes like grapefruit, lemon, a little bit of grass. A perfect amount of sweetness. Very simple, but perfectly refreshing. Would like to try this with food, chicken or fish.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied. Just enough carbonation. Leaves the mouth with a nice refreshed feeling.

Overall-This is what an IPA should be like. Hops and Citrus, well balanced and drinkable. Is this beer as good and complex as some DIPAs, No. But for an IPA this is perfect, little to no complaints. I could easily drink a 6 pack, and wouldn't be totally on my ass, but have to save for a side by side with Jai Alai.

(7/31/11)-Exactly 4 months later had a fresher bottle and just as good. Mouthfeel was alot creamier and the aroma was definitely more floral. Solid Beer, wish I could have this at my local beer store.

03-31-2011 04:17:08 | More by SWMeyer4141
Spiekerbox

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Orange color with off white head, small head that lingers for a little bit. Noticeable yeast left over in the bottle after the pour, its great to see proof that Bells doesn't filter their beer.

S- Quite a balanced aroma for an IPA, citrus hops dominate with a little pine scent as well. Malt is also present though with a nice sweet, caramel malt present.

T- Still balanced and is awesome. Grapefruit hops are the first to notice but the sweet malt is still there. Slight pine flavors as well in the middle. Finishes with a citrus-bitterness that makes me beg for another drink.

M- Medium body and carbonation. Nice alcohol warming that comes in at the finish, relatively crisp in the mouth.

O- Awesome and probably my #1 IPA, reviewed this from a bottle but have had it fresh at the brewery and its even better then, I recommend this to anyone and usually have a few in my fridge to prove it to people.

03-31-2011 02:41:18 | More by Spiekerbox
stakem

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Review from notes taken on 3/10/11. On tap at Als of Hampden served in a nonic. This brew appears a hazed golden orange color with a thin ring of white around the edges of the glass. Bubbles constantly rise to the surface maintaining a thin lacing atop the brew.

The aroma is citrus hop goodness like orange rind, zest, flowers and grass. It is a very bright and enjoyable aroma displaying a depth of pleasant hop characteristics.

The taste is rindy and bitter with citrus hops that are backed by a bit of a toasty caramel malt sweetness that is a good contrast to the hoppiness. The hops are quite citrusy and grassy with a pleasant warming effect from the alcohol. It finishes sharp and bitey from a combination of the abv and hops.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is easy drinking and enjoyable. Quite crisp and refreshing this is always a standby brew that is enjoyable on nearly any occasion.

03-30-2011 14:51:48 | More by stakem
AndyAvalanche

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Snifter. The appearance is good. It comes out a citrus golden color, with some pretty good clarity. The white head was pretty big with an aggressive pour and it provides some very good lacing. Lots of different sized bubbles and there the head sticks around for most of the session, good looking IPA.

Smells good, like most IPA's the hops jump out at you. Citrus hops jump out at you the most. There's a slight sweetness in the smell too, almost a natural sugar to it. There really isn't much else to say here, it's pretty straight forward. I just wish it was a little stronger in the smell.

Taste is a step up from the smell. Slightly complex balance between the malts and hops. Again the hops are the stronger more dominant features in the beer. Citrus zest bitterness is the by far the strongest feature of the flavor profile. Still it's pretty well malted, there are slight features of pale roasted malts that provide a little bit of sweetness. A good tasting IPA overall.

The moutfeel is good, light bodied, and pretty refreshing. It's pretty smooth and has a slightly earthy finish, but overall clean. A pretty drinkable IPA, but gets better if you slow down and let it warm up. All in all it's a very good IPA, I've heard a lot of good things about this beer and I think it's pretty good. I'd like to have it a little more accessible to me to give it more of a chance, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to drink and review Two Hearted Ale.

03-30-2011 03:14:38 | More by AndyAvalanche
flipper2gv

Quebec (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to BEERchitect for my first taste of Bell's offerings.

2 months old bottle (due to international shipping issues, it was really really fresh when he sent it the first time).

A: Quite aggressive pour gave half a finger of a pure white creamy looking head. The beer itself is definitely blonde and it is almost translucent. Retention is ok and lacing is pretty good.

S: There is a lot of juicy red grapefruit in this. Lots of pineapple, mango, apricot and orange/lime juice in this. Juicy and exotic. There is also a fair amount of piny hops and mint in the smell. Also, there is a solid malt backbone to the smell that shows in caramel and honey notes.

T: WOW, this goes straight along with the exotic fruits of the smell with the red grapefruit, pineapple, mango, apricot, orange juice. Again, solid amount of piny hops and some mint. Now, the malt backbone is very solid: you get honey, caramel, cake, biscuit. Very very good and balanced.

M: Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation. Not sticky at all.

O: This is the king of the regular IPA (IMO, didn't taste them all). This is, again IMO, better than Blind Pig. Although Blind Pig was really good, it was only hops and some sweetness that would make the overall beer taste more "juicy" (IOW, giving the sugar to the hops to make the beer taste more like exotic fruits). Extremely drinkable, I cannot recommend this enough. I can't imagine how good it must be when it is really fresh.

03-29-2011 03:51:21 | More by flipper2gv
honkey

Alabama

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Here is my re-view... I am keeping my original review at the bottom, but I have realized that the first bottle I ever had of this was very old and it is not fair to the brewer to leave that review without an amendment.

Appearance: copper color, large head, slightly hazy

Smell: Citrusy hops, slight pine, little bit of sweet crystal malt

Taste: this is what I was looking for so many months ago... This is delicious. A little bitter for my taste and I wish there was a little more hop flavor, but definitely solid

Mouthfeel: Nice fairly dry with medium carbonation. Very easy to drink. Possibly the best part about this beer

Overall: A nice mild IPA. Very refreshing and while not over the top with hops, a very good representation of the style

After a few months away from beer due to a nationwide tour, I was really looking forward to trying a nice hoppy IPA.

Appearance- Good amber color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of fizz. Slightly hazy. Assuming the haze comes from the vast amount of hops.

Smell- upon opening the bottle I got a pretty good whiff of floral citrusy hops without even meaning to. When poured, it smelled completely delicious. Centennial hops for sure! I am really looking forward to this!

Taste- What a disappointment! Blue balls at it's finest! The initial taste was citrus and floral just like the smell, but that initial bitterness faded very quickly to an unpleasant cloying sweetness. I do not know if this was what was intended by the brewer... Definitely not what I expected.

Mouthfeel- not dry like I expect my IPAs to be. The thickness combined with the sweetness are not what I expected at all.

Drinkability- I gave away half of a 6 pack because I just could not get into this one. The three that I kept I drank on different nights because I could not have more than one a night.

Should I try a fresher bottle or hunt out a place that has it on draught maybe? It was not skunked, had no freshness date so I have no way of knowing if the hop flavor just faded or what was going on, but there was no hint of hops flavor after the very initial touch of the beer on my tongue. Overall, this was a huge disappointment for me. Maybe if I find it on draught and I know it is fresh I would give it another review.

03-28-2011 21:31:17 | More by honkey
scelesti

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Brewed in the Great Lakes state :) Pour from bottle into glass mug.

A - Tall frothy head, plenty of foam here. Medium golden blonde in color.

S - Mmmm! Smells like walking through a citrus grove. A bit a grapefruit, a bit of lemon, some pine mixing with a tad of sweet caramely maltiness.

T - Well balanced maltiness in the background, a touch of light caramel. Citrus and pine from the hops, plenty of grapefruit; assertive, but not too much. The bittering hops on the finish are not at all overwhelming.

M - Creamy and delectable.

O - A great IPA from a great brewery; a balanced counterpoint of malt and hops. Thank you sir, may I have another?

03-27-2011 04:13:35 | More by scelesti
suspect

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy, orange in color. Relatively aggressive pour yielded a one-finger head that disappeared quickly. Slight lacing that didn't stick around long either.

S: Hop-forward, slight citrus. Not overpowering on the olfactory here.

T: Hoppy spiciness. Not a lot of anything else. Some citrus to it, malty sweetness at the back end.

M: Light, yet creamy, lots of little carbonation bubbles.

O: Overall this is a solid beer but not one that blew me away. Nice and balanced, light and delicious. I could easily put away a few of these in a sitting.

03-27-2011 01:34:53 | More by suspect
yippiIPA

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

wow this beer seems to be about all one could ask for...thanks bells for makeins such a taste-full beer to enjoy with so many things like sunshine or moonlight you know although i find that 3 is the limit after 3 they seem to heavy imagain that ha ha ha

03-26-2011 23:26:02 | More by yippiIPA
esv

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A) I gave this a slightly higher rating on appearance because I messed-up the pour, but there is no head. Light lacing.

S) Big, citrusy, hoppy nose.

T) Grapefruit beer. Grapefruit beer. Grapefruit beer. The malt takes a back seat to a nice, clean citrus, grapefruit hoppiness. Not overbearing, it doesn't shred the tongue but certainly bitter. This is a perfect american IPA.

M) Medium. Medium carbonation.

O) This is what I want in an American IPA. Enough malt to provide balance but it is in the background. So good. So good. I'd like to come back and re-review because I don't think the head got a fair shake.

03-26-2011 21:42:15 | More by esv
Etheldreda

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Looks good to me, dark golden brown.

S: Smells sweet to me, strong aroma.

T: nice kick to it, but not too overpowering.

M: Creaminess to it... i think.

O: Wish i had more of it, but ever since i moved to NY, i can't find it. i really do miss it.

Other Thoughts: my favorite beer as of posting this review. i haven't found anything that has beat it yet. i'm also a amateur when it comes to reviewing beer, but i can tell the difference between a good and bad beer to a certain extent.

03-26-2011 00:10:10 | More by Etheldreda
OddNotion

Batch 10207, February 9th, 2011 according to the Bell's site.

Poured from the bottle into my Bell's standard pint glass.

Appearance: A semi rough pour produces minimal head which recedes very quickly. It pours a transparent burnt orange color. A nice lacing remains for the remainder of the drink.

Smell: Not too much for the nose on this one. I find a little spiciness followed with some sweetness.

Taste: This is one damn tasty beer! I really like that Centennial hop flavor. From homebrewing I know the smell and taste of the Centennial hop and it is really apparent on the back end of the tongue and lingers around until the flavor leaves the mouth. The hop is really all I notice throughout the drink, when straining to taste more I do get a little of the spiciness, but that is another property of the hop. There is a nice bitterness present.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. This brew has a full mouthfeel for an IPA.

Overall: If it were available to me normally I would likely make it a regular. I did try it side by side with Founders Centennial IPA a few weeks back, I liked Two Hearted better and Founders is a semi regular in my fridge. Seek it out, it did not blow me away but it certainly is a great IPA.

03-25-2011 03:29:38 | More by OddNotion
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks schwaeh. Bottle code 10199, packaged Jan 31st. 12oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A: Very hazy golden straw, lighter than most IPAs. An aggressive pour yields a smallish head but lacing is pretty good.

S: Floral floral floral. Citrus underneath, pineapple and papaya. Sweet, spiced breadiness. As it warms I think the soft fruit and honey come front and center. Its nice, but soft and subdued.

T: There is a nice lingering bitterness. The fruitiness and sweetness are there but they are subdued. There is an earthy, piney hop flavor, and the malts and spiciness are both there but not in the foreground. Not loving it but its ok.

MF: Fuller bodied than most single IPA's that I'm used to. Creamy and drying with some crispness. Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: Under-whelmed with this beer, not sure if it has started to decline since its bottling in January. The aromas and flavors were too light for me, although the bitterness and mouthfeel were spot on IMO.

The way people rave about this beer I'd love to try it again and see if my palette was off tonight.

03-25-2011 01:58:14 | More by Scotchboy
sturner26

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into normal pint glass

A: Pours a hazy gold with a thick white 2 finger head. Good retention and some lacing.

S: Citrus hops strong as expected, but you can also smell the biscuity malt as well.

T: Just like the smell, strong citrus hops with some well balanced malt. This is an excellent example of an American IPA, one I love. Minimal bitter notes compared to other IPAs.

M: Thicker and more syrupy than normal for the style, but enjoyable.

D: Excellent taste, smell, mouthfeel, and appearance, hard to go wrong with a Two Hearts.

03-24-2011 15:54:34 | More by sturner26
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.