Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
yippiIPA

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

wow this beer seems to be about all one could ask for...thanks bells for makeins such a taste-full beer to enjoy with so many things like sunshine or moonlight you know although i find that 3 is the limit after 3 they seem to heavy imagain that ha ha ha

03-26-2011 23:26:02 | More by yippiIPA
esv

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

A) I gave this a slightly higher rating on appearance because I messed-up the pour, but there is no head. Light lacing.

S) Big, citrusy, hoppy nose.

T) Grapefruit beer. Grapefruit beer. Grapefruit beer. The malt takes a back seat to a nice, clean citrus, grapefruit hoppiness. Not overbearing, it doesn't shred the tongue but certainly bitter. This is a perfect american IPA.

M) Medium. Medium carbonation.

O) This is what I want in an American IPA. Enough malt to provide balance but it is in the background. So good. So good. I'd like to come back and re-review because I don't think the head got a fair shake.

03-26-2011 21:42:15 | More by esv
Etheldreda

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Looks good to me, dark golden brown.

S: Smells sweet to me, strong aroma.

T: nice kick to it, but not too overpowering.

M: Creaminess to it... i think.

O: Wish i had more of it, but ever since i moved to NY, i can't find it. i really do miss it.

Other Thoughts: my favorite beer as of posting this review. i haven't found anything that has beat it yet. i'm also a amateur when it comes to reviewing beer, but i can tell the difference between a good and bad beer to a certain extent.

03-26-2011 00:10:10 | More by Etheldreda
OddNotion

Batch 10207, February 9th, 2011 according to the Bell's site.

Poured from the bottle into my Bell's standard pint glass.

Appearance: A semi rough pour produces minimal head which recedes very quickly. It pours a transparent burnt orange color. A nice lacing remains for the remainder of the drink.

Smell: Not too much for the nose on this one. I find a little spiciness followed with some sweetness.

Taste: This is one damn tasty beer! I really like that Centennial hop flavor. From homebrewing I know the smell and taste of the Centennial hop and it is really apparent on the back end of the tongue and lingers around until the flavor leaves the mouth. The hop is really all I notice throughout the drink, when straining to taste more I do get a little of the spiciness, but that is another property of the hop. There is a nice bitterness present.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation. This brew has a full mouthfeel for an IPA.

Overall: If it were available to me normally I would likely make it a regular. I did try it side by side with Founders Centennial IPA a few weeks back, I liked Two Hearted better and Founders is a semi regular in my fridge. Seek it out, it did not blow me away but it certainly is a great IPA.

03-25-2011 03:29:38 | More by OddNotion
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks schwaeh. Bottle code 10199, packaged Jan 31st. 12oz bottle poured into a nonic.

A: Very hazy golden straw, lighter than most IPAs. An aggressive pour yields a smallish head but lacing is pretty good.

S: Floral floral floral. Citrus underneath, pineapple and papaya. Sweet, spiced breadiness. As it warms I think the soft fruit and honey come front and center. Its nice, but soft and subdued.

T: There is a nice lingering bitterness. The fruitiness and sweetness are there but they are subdued. There is an earthy, piney hop flavor, and the malts and spiciness are both there but not in the foreground. Not loving it but its ok.

MF: Fuller bodied than most single IPA's that I'm used to. Creamy and drying with some crispness. Nice mouthfeel.

Overall: Under-whelmed with this beer, not sure if it has started to decline since its bottling in January. The aromas and flavors were too light for me, although the bitterness and mouthfeel were spot on IMO.

The way people rave about this beer I'd love to try it again and see if my palette was off tonight.

03-25-2011 01:58:14 | More by Scotchboy
sturner26

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into normal pint glass

A: Pours a hazy gold with a thick white 2 finger head. Good retention and some lacing.

S: Citrus hops strong as expected, but you can also smell the biscuity malt as well.

T: Just like the smell, strong citrus hops with some well balanced malt. This is an excellent example of an American IPA, one I love. Minimal bitter notes compared to other IPAs.

M: Thicker and more syrupy than normal for the style, but enjoyable.

D: Excellent taste, smell, mouthfeel, and appearance, hard to go wrong with a Two Hearts.

03-24-2011 15:54:34 | More by sturner26
litheum94

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz bottle. Thanks to LiquidBread219. No bottling dates.

A giant, rocky, off-white head explodes out of the bottle, leaving strata-like rings on the glass as it settles, which is a good amount of time. Golden amber body.

Lemon citrus hops, with some wood tones. Backbone of biscuit malts. A little touch of tropical fruit sweetness.

Sweet lemon, which reminds me of lemon Trix in a weird, but good, way. Dry, bready malts mid-palate. Sets up an earthy, woody, hop finish. Not very bitter at first, but the bitterness slowly creeps on, leaving a piney flavor in the mouth. A slight honey flavor starts to develop as the beer warms. Lots of carbonation leads to a very crisp drink.

I've been waiting a while to try this, and I have to admit, it didn't knock my socks off. That said, it is an enjoyable IPA, and I would never mind having one.

03-24-2011 03:54:32 | More by litheum94
dizknee24

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Weizenbob for this one. Appreciate it very much.

A dark dark amber. Translucent barley see through it.

S wow hops are right in your face. A sweet hop aroma and floral scents.

T for the amount of hops in this, I got a nice crisp bitter taste rather than the overpowering hops I taste in other IPAs

M thick as a brick. I love this stuff

O overall I am so glad i have these. I need to trade for some more for sure.

03-23-2011 15:20:08 | More by dizknee24
GSmithBeer

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

had this at beertopia but also one of my go-to ipas
A: standard ipa appearance. maybe a little darker than some.
S: good aroma lots of pine a little citrus
T: this one has a really nice taste. like i said one of my go-to ipas.
M: just a good mouthfeel. but then again i just had an unfiltered version from skull coast brewery moments before. so maybe i was docking it a bit after the unfiltered version i had
O: this is an outstanding ipa. one of my favorites really good.

03-22-2011 21:56:53 | More by GSmithBeer
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz bottle into pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a finger of off-white head. Retention is average, head turns slowly into a soapy lace. Excellent lacing and plenty of bubbles.

S - Such a gorgeous hop bouquet. Floral and citrus hops dominate, and it smells irresistible.

T - Plenty of bitter hops. Bitter citrus and a bit of floral/herbal hops. Follows with a toasty and caramelly sweet malt base. Finish has some kind of soapy bitterness and lasts for a while.

M - Medium to light body with a ton of carbonation. The body makes it very drinkable. It's very good.

O - Overall one of the best IPAs around. Comes close to Sculpin, but not quite. For less than 2 bucks a bottle it's fantastic. Goes down easy and is an exciting and dynamic beer to drink. A lot of flavor and a brilliant aroma make this beer a classic. If I had access to it, it'd be a staple in my fridge.

03-22-2011 05:36:21 | More by greenmonstah
afogg0855

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

I don't know how I didn't notice this before but the head is just incredible. literally incredible. I poured this beer about 8 minutes ago and i still have a thick frothy 1 inch head. The reason i still have this head is that there are still thousands of bubble rapidly rising towards the head and adding to it. In fact, in the 2 minutes it took me to type this, the head has actually grown a few centimeters.

I think it's safe to say the greatness of this beer is directly corrolated with the craftsmanship it took to create this long lasting delcious carbonization.

03-22-2011 04:16:11 | More by afogg0855
b3shine

It's good, draft or bottle. I'd describe it as a beginner's ipa because the hops are masked by the honey (as they are in Hopslam, just less pronounced). Yeah, it's good, but there are plenty of other better ipa's out there - assuming you're a hophead. Just depends on if you wanna take off the training wheels...

03-22-2011 01:48:23 | More by b3shine
livewire05

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Cloudy golden color. A ton of foamy head, but it was a bad pour on my part. Fair amount of carbonation bubbles. Good lacing.

S: Smells like an IPA should - hoppy with a faint pine aroma. I'm picking up a little citrus too.

T: Sweet grapefruit that fades into a hoppy bitterness. I'm getting a little taste of spicy alcohol in the middle.

M: I thought the mouthfeel was medium-light, a little sting on the tongue from the hops.

O: This wasn't as bitter as the IPAs I've been drinking recently, so it was a nice change of pace. A great beer that I could definitely see getting again.

03-21-2011 22:06:11 | More by livewire05
Motladiwa

4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

This is one of my favorite IPAs as well as being a staple in my fridge. I consume a lot of this beer and am having one now at my favorite pub.

A- Pours a golden-brass with an off-white head that quickly dissipates. Nice lacing and subtle head retention.

S- Very hop forward with a hint of light malt. Grapefruit rind and fresh strawberries.

T- Bitter grapefruit. Lovely bitter tinge through and through. Very well balanced with a touch of sweetness.

M- Smooth and bitter. Good amount of carbonation. Bitterness lingers on the tongue. The hops are very prevalent.

O- Had fresh, this beer is quite lovely. It is what I look for in an American IPA and always consistent, never disappoints.

03-21-2011 19:54:23 | More by Motladiwa
beerdown77

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Two Hearted Ale does not disappoint. I heard a lot about this beer before I tried it. I understand why it carries such a likable reputation. To be widely accepted, I think you have to have a fairly non-offensive taste. This leaves out any wacky nuance that you might find in other beers. I think this is a crowd pleasing staple. I liked the golden orange pour and two fingers of head. The flavor was hops and citrus, but not overpowering. This could almost be described as an aggressive pale ale. All of the quality that you expect is in this beer, and I will be coming back to this one.

03-21-2011 05:21:05 | More by beerdown77
EricCioe

Montana

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

This pours a slightly hazy copper with a nice, two finger white head that leaves good frothy lace around. On the nose there is a huge mixture of oranges, grapefruit, fresh cut grass, and a hint of a caramel backbone. This nose is unrealIn the mouth there are grapefruits and oranges hanging out over a malt background that never gets in the way. It's balanced very much towards the citrus bomb part of the IPA spectrum, but it's still balanced. Later some spice and bitterness that hangs with a fuzzy finish. It's a medium body, thin enough to not stick at the sides of the palate, but the huge hop presence means it's a long finish. This is a truly great IPA, a desert island type beer, and it's available all year round in a large chunk of the country.

03-21-2011 00:37:02 | More by EricCioe
nickshep7

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a nice translucent gold, almost tangerine color with one finger white head. Very little retention and spotty lacing. Smell is citrus hops with a touch of sweet raw honey. Nice citrusy hop profile in the taste. Good mouthfeel - a rather refreshing IPA. I think this is a tweener IPA - in between the big west coast hop bombs and balanced east cost IPAs.

03-18-2011 01:07:41 | More by nickshep7
madvermin

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge shoutout to my main man Jesse13713 for this brew - thanks a lot Jesse!

Pours a tripel-esque yellow with a large dash of orange to let you know it's still an IPA. Head is half a finger, dissipates quickly but leaves an enormous amount of lacing - there are actually only a couple unlaced spots where the head was. If only there was more head in the first place...oh well it still looks good.

Nose is floral and tropical, with excellently balanced pineapple and grapefruit notes. A bit of pine is evident, but this is mainly a fruit and flower bouquet. Slight stickiness on the nose has a fruit juice quality, and is quite pleasant.

Taste has more grapefruit citrus than the nose, with the bitterness softly rind-like. Pineapple is also very evident and is the right level of sweet. Piney quality comes out much more after the initial fruit start, and is a bit too strong for this beer in my opinion as it was a very soothing and smooth beer before this. Nonetheless, it adds another flavor that I'm sure most people enjoy based on its rating. Malts add sticky sweetness that leads to a semi-sweet, half dry finish that is quite pleasing.

Mouthfeel is a perfect match to the taste, as it is light while offering enough fullness to back up the flavors. One of the better balanced beers I've had, and this allows it to be incredibly drinkable as well. Great beer aside from the unneeded pine.

03-17-2011 08:55:03 | More by madvermin
Jishguy

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a standard ale glass. I had heard quite a bit of good things about this brew. Man, was I impressed.

A- Poured a medium amber color with average head for an IPA. Retention was flawless. Very good lacing.

S- Caramel, citrus, hops, and a hint of pine. Very subtle malt notes. Easily overlooked

T- Wonderful. The start is filled with sweet caramel and citrus. Aftertaste is a grassy, lemony, hoppy, grapefruit. The aftertaste lingers. One of the best IPAs I've ever come across.

M- Carbonation was perfect. Spot on. This brew was just a tad bit to dry for my taste.

D- Tastes so good and sits relatively lightly. Could and would definitely down a six pack without a problem.

Great Job, Bells!

03-17-2011 05:40:12 | More by Jishguy
gabedivision

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a DFH Snifter glass.

A- Nice orange/copper amber with thick 1 finger head that leaves its stain all over the glass.

S- Piny with sour citrus fruits, sweet malts and sugary resin with a mild floral perfume.

T- Extreme bittering hops overwhelms the opening touch on the lips and tongue, but milds out to a pleasantly smooth and sweet malty tingle.

M- Medium bodied and very bitter sweet.

D- This is a delicious IPA that has its set of mood swings. Every sip seems to bring a different feel. If this were available around me i would consume this regularly.

03-16-2011 01:44:38 | More by gabedivision
mwthomas

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Cloudy, golden orange color and pour produces a thin head that dissipates fairly quickly. It does leave a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Strong citrus and floral aroma from the centennial hops that mostly masks the malts.

T: Malt flavor comes through a bit stronger, but, like the smell, the hops dominate. The citrus provides a nice dry finish that balances the beer well.

M: Decent carbonation and medium bodied.

D: Definitely my favorite brew of a style that I'm slowly beginning to appreciate. Several of these can definitely be enjoyed in a session.

03-15-2011 20:01:49 | More by mwthomas
cr0ckett

4.71/5  rDev +10.3%

First review. Here goes...
12oz Bottle poured into pint glass; Batch 10200, bottle 2.4.11 (a bit older than I'd like, but still good)
Appearance: fantastic hazy yellow and amber with a bit of carbonation dancing around. Offwhite 1 1/2 finger head that leaves a bit of lacing.
Smell: Straight citrus and pine.
Taste: Citrusy: grapefruit and a bit of orange. Hops hit right away with some malts at the back end that finishes out the beer perfectly. Incredibly balanced beer. Slight layer of hops coats the mouth, though not overpowering.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with a bit higher level of carbonation. The higher carbonation works well in this beer.
Overall: Awesome. One of my favorite beers; it's hard to find a fault in it. A go-to for me and a must try for those who enjoy IPAs.

03-15-2011 00:42:07 | More by cr0ckett
schmidtn

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Nice semi-cloudy amber with head that lingers longer than most IPA. Lacing hangs on the glass throughout the tasting.

One of the most florally smelling beers I have encountered. FTD in a glass.

This is ambrosia. The bittering hops most definitely doing their job here. Malt tries to even this battle, but the hops are just a bit stronger, which is good.

Because the malt is not overpowering, mouth feel is relatively clean. The higher alcohol adds to the dryness.

Hoppy Delight. Only the price keeps this as an occasional beer.

03-13-2011 00:33:09 | More by schmidtn
flyingspatula

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

This is one of my favorites! When it was on sale for $6.99 at Big Red for a month, I probably bought 30 six-packs! It also makes a bad-ass black and tan. Way better than Bass and Guiness, and my last name is Bass. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. Great look, taste, buzz, everything!

03-11-2011 03:46:46 | More by flyingspatula
thegodfather2701

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A-Pours a hazy honey/gold with a thick white head that stays around for a while and leaves some lacing on the top of the glass.

S-Citrus hops are pretty strong, but you can also smell the biscuity malt as well.

T-Much like the nose with a decently strong citrus hop character balanced out by a significant malt backbone. Very tasty stuff.

M-Pretty thick for the style which I liked.

D-This is some very tasty stuff and a few can easily be drank in a session.

Overall, this is just a great beer. It has a significant malt character which some might not enjoy, but overall you can never go wrong drinking a Two Hearted.

03-10-2011 23:08:25 | More by thegodfather2701
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.