Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
drewba

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Translucent golden yellowy orange. Pours a white three finger head and some pretty serious lacing. Looks clean and inviting, makes me thirsty.

S - Grass, lemon, a little grapefruit, some cracker, and a slight windex-alcohol smell going on.

T - Awesome malt + hop balance, both are well represented and neither overtake the other. Ok, the hops are in charge here, but the malt is great too. Loads of grass and citrus - lemon, mango, mandarin orange, a tiny bit of pepper spicyness and pine bitterness in the end of the hop profile. The malt profile is fairly pale, but definitely notes of cracker, white bread and almond.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium body with perfect carbonation. The mouthfeel + taste it so good, this isn't really a beer I put down or even consider just sipping.

D - I'm somewhat biased, because this is my go-to ipa, so I consider it a pleasure to fly through a 6 pack. I guess that in itself is a pretty high recommendation for its drinkability. I'm a huge fan of citrus forward, less bitter ipas, and this is it for me. Give me Two Hearted & Dreadnaught and that's all I'll ever need.

01-04-2011 01:06:22 | More by drewba
Cheesemoose

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Golden straw with great clarity on the pour. 2 Fingers of puffy white head. A nice film forms on top, giving a nice level of lacing.

Citrus hop aromas dominate with a crisp clean zing. Orange zest and nice toffee-esque malt base that is rather hidden, but tries to come out.

A lot of balance is achieved, but the main hop profile is rather foreboding. Orange zest with a bread/caramel malt backing. Something similar to a soapy finish. A bit sweet, and with the orange, it comes off like watered down orange soda.

Carbonation is a bit high, giving a bubbly mouthfeel at first, followed by a mild syrup finish. Very clean finish, kind of brisque, with no real depth. Yearning for more, but it is a bit lacking. The hop strength overpowers any length of flavors.

For 7.1% ABV, it is a rather drinkable IPA. I could see knocking a few of these down in a night. Might also serve as a good intro into the style.

01-03-2011 00:02:38 | More by Cheesemoose
ujsplace

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a nonic glass.

Pours a hazy, orange-copper colored brew that initially boasts a solid two-finger thick white head that leaves a nice chunked island floater on top.

Smells of citrus, grapefruit, piney and resinous.

Tastes of citrus - grapefruit, bright fruits - maybe mango - oily, piney resinous hops and a quick dry finish.

Medium mouthfeel, welll carbonated, refreshing and crisp - an anytime brew.

I enjoy hoppy brews. This is not over the top at all, but it has plenty of hop presence to be very satisfying. May be a bit much for those who aren't overly fond of hops, but then they probably need not apply.

01-01-2011 02:25:52 | More by ujsplace
magine

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a Duvel glass.

Pours a hazy copper color. Huge white head that settles to a nice thick lace island. Good lacing throughout. Good looking IPA.

Brew smells of oily resin hops. Good fruit hop nose. Floral hops as well. Very good mix of hops in the nose - great smell.

Brew is fresh crisp and tasty; bready, grainy, great fruit hops, grapefruit, pineapple maybe, oily hop resin as well. Very good IPA flavors here. Tremendously good flavors here.

This is a top tier IPA, one of the best drinking IPA's I have had. Awesome stuff.

01-01-2011 01:29:10 | More by magine
TheKtulu7

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Cloudy dark yellow with a dense, creamy head.

S: Citrusy and a bit piney.

T: Very balanced for an IPA. Very similar for the scents too. This is definitely the best IPA I have had, although it is a style I usually only like moderately.

M: Slightly prickly and crisp.

D: Very inviting. Yes.

12-31-2010 23:19:57 | More by TheKtulu7
mechamifune

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

This has become my go-to IPA over the past couple years and I figure its time I got around to reviewing it.

Appearance is healthy looking golden/straw hue with a slight white head. Lacing and carbonation evident.

Smell is wonderful, lots of citrus/fruit/pine. Nothing subtle about the smell and thats fine by me. Taste goes pretty hand in hand with the smell.... finishes pretty dry, no sense of alcohol to be had. If I were to make a point of differentiation between this and my other favorite IPA's, I'd say that while a lot of my favorite west coast IPA's are hoppy with a fruity undercurrent, this is fruity with a hoppy undercurrent. Just a very unique and pleasant tasting IPA.

Moutfeel is creamy as opposed to crisp, a little syrupy in the aftertaste. Very drinkable though. Doesn't feel heavy and just tastes so freakin good that you don't want to stop drinking it. If you like IPA's you must drink this beer.

12-31-2010 00:25:15 | More by mechamifune
tgorgz

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

A: I poured it into a pint glass, and the head just billowed up- a good, thick two-finger head. It stayed for quite some time. Not super-hazy, but enough to qualify it as "opaque".

S: About what you'd expect from an IPA- flowery, with lots of citrus. I'm detecting lemon, melon, and other tropical fruits. I'm used to lemony scents from IPAs, but this one has something different- it's the distinct melon I'm getting from the nose.

T:Very "clean" tasting, lots of citrus at the beginning. As it moves back through your mouth, the lemon becomes more pronounced. It's not as strong in the melon as I was expecting based upon the smell, however. The ending is quite bitter, but not a much as some IPA's I've tried. I think it's a good thing, as the bitterness doesn't dilute the other flavours.

M: Not as thick as other IPA's, but very clean and refreshing. The lingering, subtle bitterness is quite welcome.

D: Very, very smooth- excellent drinkability.

Overall, fabulous IPA- what else would you expect from Bell's?

12-31-2010 00:19:31 | More by tgorgz
rrski198

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Done from some brief notes

A: Huge meraine billowing head. Sticks around. hazy with tons of bubbles.

S: Big time floral, pineapple, lemon, and citrus smell. This beer smells incredibly fresh.

T: fresh hops again with an amsome floral flavor. The citrus from the hops is great, the bitterness is intense, however, it is balanced quite nicely with the malty sweetness.

M: very dry and bitter. makes my mouth pucker. Great carbonation that makes the hops pop.

O: This is an IPA, so not much to lose your mind over. However, the freshness of the hop flavor make this beer soemthing to write home about.

12-29-2010 20:44:45 | More by rrski198
SkunkWorks

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks jenray for the trade and the opportunity to try this!

Look: hazy gold colored body with a two finger white head. The head doesn't retain for very long and quickly becomes a thin layer of foam sitting atop the beer until I finish the glass. Moderate lacing is left along the glass.

Smell: citrus hops dominate with some floral characters as well. Smells quite like a West Coast IPA. There's also some resin and a bit of pale malt.

Taste: follows the nose. Bitter, citrusy hops dominate along with some mild, bready malt. Hop profile tastes closer to a DIPA than a normal IPA.

Feel: medium light, moderate carbonation.

Drink: quite drinkable and I could have a few of these in a sitting if I wanted.

Overall, a very nice beer. This is my first beer from Bells so I'm starting to see what the hype is about. It'd be nice if they could start distributing to New York! Hear me Bells? Get on that! Pick this one up and enjoy it. Cheers!

12-28-2010 14:05:15 | More by SkunkWorks
mellowmark

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle to an Imperial Pint glass. Batch number 10076, according to Bell's Batch Finder it was packaged on 11-8-10. $10.49 for a 6-pack.

Appearance: Golden burnt orange color. Almost completely transparent, just a slight cloudiness. Huge rocky white head with good retention and large fluffy clumpy lacing all down the glass.

Smell: Great hop aroma. Strong citrus hops just permeate the senses. I wish I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Citrus and bitter hops up front. Citrus lingers long after and massages the palate. Hop bitterness is strong at the beginning but takes second stage to the citrus towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium with a strong carbonation that keeps things light and lively in midst of everything else that's going on.

Drinkability: Very High

This is a great IPA. Probably the most citrus driven I've ever had. For me it's about as close to perfect as you can get for the style.

12-28-2010 02:43:01 | More by mellowmark
TheSupremeAJ

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle into standard pint.

A- Pours hazy golden with medium white head that quickly subdues to a thin layer. Bubbles are rising quickly.

S- Hops are a floral & grapefruit aroma that really hits you up front. Present is pine. Malt aromas are pale and restrained.

T- Hop aroma does not dissatisfy. Malt is light and bread-like. Bitterness is controlled.

M- Smooth, easy, fine carbonation. Hops resins are coating my tongue and producing a dry astringency.

D- This is a fine, everyday drinking beer. I would keep this around just because it is so clean and never really lets me down!

EDIT: Drank an (older) bottle today and it superb. A little muted, but the extra carb is fantastic!

12-27-2010 22:58:20 | More by TheSupremeAJ
hopstradamus

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

A. Pours a bright, golden color with a luminous haze that fades as it sits. A fluffy, pale-white head of tiny bubbles floats atop the beer and slowly fades as it clings to the glass.

S. It smells sweet and bready but that quickly disappears as it is overcome by a sharp citrus and pine hop aroma.

T. The taste is exceedingly sharp hops fighting to overwhelm the sweet, biscuitty malt character. The overriding quality of this beer is the sharpness of the hop bite.

M. Light mouthfeel with good carbonation, it is neither chewy, or smooth as it is amazingly dry.

D. A decent beer, but not an everyday go-to. it is interesting, but not compelling.

12-27-2010 19:04:43 | More by hopstradamus
Shrews629

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance - Cloudy orange/yellow color with brighter yellow highlights around the bottom. The head is very full and soapy looking. It's off white with slight orange tinges. Well endowed with tremendous retention and adequate lacing.

Smell - Strong citrus aroma of orange and grapefruit. The hops also smell a bit floral. Smells like an orange juice cake. Lovely. Even orange juice punch or something.

Taste - The taste if very similar to the smell with a plentiful amount of orange and grapefruit bitterness. The orange seems to pull through a bit more. Only a smidge of alcohol is detected. Again, an orange juice punch type of flavor. Very good.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel. Crisp and smooth. Mostly dry with a nice warming alcohol bite. As the beer warms, it becomes more watery. Does go down easy however.

Drinkability - This is another beer I understand why people enjoy so much. It's very good and very easily drinkable. I wish I had another one. I like how the orange is a bit more dominant over the grapefruit. Changes things up a bit. Most definitely worth a try if you haven't sampled it yet. I'm going to be sure to pick it up again sometime soon.

12-26-2010 14:17:11 | More by Shrews629
digita7693

Germany

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer has a special place in my heart, see my avatar, but that aside it is delicious!

A slightly hazy golden, nice white head, pretty good lacing

S floral and citrusy hops, some nice tart grapefruit smells, very enticing

T delicious. the citrus comes through, a nice bitterness, with a touch of malt sweetness.

M/D very smooth, perfect carbonation, a great beer that one could drink several of and not get bored.

12-26-2010 12:25:51 | More by digita7693
kagent777

Utah

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

I purchased this bottle on a trip to Florida in early November. The batch code is "9977", which seems to have been bottled in early September, so a little old but not too far past its prime. Poured into goblet, as I do with most IPA.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy light golden color, with a white rocky head that settled after a short time. Thin lacing sticks nicely to the glass.

Smell: A light yeasty character to this beer. Non specific floral character and a slight pine are also present. I might have poured it too cold.

Taste: A tasty but standard IPA. The bitter hops make for an assertive beer. The malt backbone balances out the bitterness. The "pine and floral" drifts over from the smell.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation and body. Maybe slightly thin for the style.

Drinkability: This is a good IPA. I would drink this if I could get it more often, but they do not distribute to Utah. This is a beer that is assertive, but not overpowering. Nicely balanced.

12-25-2010 06:01:38 | More by kagent777
Samashley

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%

This was a popular beer at the bar I worked for in Ohio. We carried many beers by Bells and I liked most of them. After the popularity of the Two-Hearted Ale in our bar, I had to try it. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of American IPA's so I'm trying my best to adjust my palate for this style of beer, but I just couldn't find my chi with this one. I liked that it tried to balance itself out with subtle citrus hues, but I just found the hops to be way too overpowering. I felt that it became slightly easier to drink about halfway through the pint, but overall the excessive hoppiness does not seem properly balanced with the rest of the beer.

12-24-2010 22:44:01 | More by Samashley
airheadmtrcycle

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

What's up with these Michigan brewers? It seems most of the really good American beers available in Georgia are from Michigan, Pennsylvania, Colorado and California. Perhaps they've had supportive legislation longer than other states; I don't know. We don't get a lot of the great California beers, but it's hard to complain overall. But Michigan? Michigan brewers are something special, in my opinion. I don't mean to slight our Georgia breweries like Terrapin, Sweetwater, ABC etc. They make great beer too.

Another great Michigan beer: Two Hearted Ale. I've pondered the fish on the bottle only to infer a reference to the fish's two-chambered heart.

After an aggressive pour into a Sierra Nevada Becker there's 3 fingers of foamy, off-white head. Beneath is a beautiful copper/orange slightly hazy brew. The head fades slowly leaving plenty of lacing. A superior pour.

The aroma is an immediate rush of citrus hops. I pick up plenty of grapefruit and oranges followed by a sweet candy-like smell that really is tantalizing. The taste is similar. I also taste tangerines or clementines that add a complementary sweetness. My first few samples of Two Hearted Ale seemed slightly unbalanced toward the bitter side. As my newbie palate has developed or my addiction to hoppy beers has increased, this seems almost a perfectly balanced American version of an IPA. Considering the style, I don't know how this beer could taste any better.

Its slightly tingly mouth feel is quite refreshing. The body is medium, again perfect for the style. Perhaps it's more carbonated than I prefer, but that may be due to all the stouts and porters I've been drinking lately. Perhaps I'm just trying to find something that's not perfect with this IPA. It's unquestionably drinkable. I could drink a few of these easily.

Perhaps the best IPA I've had, right up there with, or probably even better than Smuttynose IPA, another favorite. The hop aroma and taste are different than any other IPA I've tried. They give Two Hearted Ale its unique and delicious flavor.

12-24-2010 21:19:24 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Hopalong29

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

medium tea brew in appearance. Head - nothing extravegant gone in <5 min. Smell:Nice hops burst light and pleasant. hops are very present, but not to the point of obnoxious. Not sure of mouthfeel but, Me Likey!!! Drinkability: Really???? This is definitately a very good beer. My fave!!!

12-24-2010 03:58:22 | More by Hopalong29
epicness

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A: A hazy golden, bordering on amber color. Fluffly off-white head and a decent amount of bubbles. A quick swirl reveals that the beer leaves a large amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Right off the bat a huge amount of floral hops blended with citrus hops are present in the scent. Smells like a pot of fresh cut flowers. As far as the citrus goes, definitely weighs high on the side of grapefruit with some slight lemon zest and mango. There's also some faint malt scent that can be picked up. The scent pretty much dares you to drink the beer. Definitely one of the most intoxicating scents I've ever experienced in a beer. I really can't get enough of the way this beer smells.

T: Very well balanced for an IPA. I hate the IPAs that are just overwhelming with a pine taste. The best way to describe the hoppy presence is, aggressive but not overpowering. Citrus hops dominate the front of this beer. A sweet soft grapefruit and mango taste is heavily present which gives away to a lemon/pine/malt finish. Very tasty, yet not a beer I want to pound. It's so tasty, I just want to enjoy it.

M: Medium bodied, with medium to high carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing.

D: This is a solid beer. It's not something I would want to drink all night due to all the different flavors present, but it's one fantastic brew.

12-24-2010 02:22:13 | More by epicness
ufotofuturo

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

If I had to think of one word for this beer, it would be "lingering". The head lingers unlike almost any beer I've ever poured, the ridiculously hoppy flavor lingers in the mouth for ages between sips, and my desire to drink one lingers as long as I've got some in the house. An absolutely stellar beer, with a flavor that is perhaps a bit *too* overpowering.

12-23-2010 04:04:44 | More by ufotofuturo
Jadjunk

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

#5. First on tap review courtesy of Summit's Wayside Tavern in Lilburn. Reviews on Bells are pleasing in general and I have had their famous Hopslam Ale before (Delicious). I ordered a pint, price is decent ($5.99).

(Appearance) Beer arrives cold and has a shallow, yet fluffy off-white head, and a fair amount of lacing drapes the edges of the glass. Beer is semi-cloudy and an appealing golden amber color. Carbonation is lively. It is aesthetically pleasing. 4.5

(Smell) Quite hoppy and a good deal of authentic citrus, perhaps grapefruit scents. I sense piney, floral scents that come from some pretty fresh hops. The beer smells to have a good balance of bitterness & sweetness, although more bitter is the initial impression I get here, I can smell some faint sweet malty scents hidden within. 4

(Taste) As anticipated, the beer is somewhat bitter and has a dominating kick of hops and citrus, mostly lemony and grapefruit. It tastes like a good deal of spices have been added to intensify the taste of this beer. The malt is just subtle enough to round out the taste. It's good. 4

(Mouthfeel) Crisp from the lively carbonation, slightly on the dry side, but not overwhelmingly so. This makes this beer a pretty exciting one to consume. 4.5

(Drinkability) This is a very crisp and refreshing beer. On a night where I feel like going for an IPA, this would make an fulfilling candidate. It manages to maintain the characteristics of a typical IPA without overwhelming the drinker with overly bitter hops and an excessively dry mouthfeel. The only reason I didn't get another of these was due to my limited spending money. 4.5

Verdict: This beer boasts a lot of unique characteristics and has an impressive, well balanced body and nose that combines bitter and sweet scents into a satisfying IPA. A great starter choice for those who are wary of dry hops or hop-heavy beer. This should be tried at least once by any so-called beer enthusiast. A- (4.2)

12-22-2010 03:09:22 | More by Jadjunk
StormKing47

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Been drinking this one regularly for a few years and finally a proper review. Enjoyed at my local establishment and reviewed from notes jotted on a napkin, so here it is...

A- A very enticing hazy golden color with a terrific amber/orange hue. Has a nice amount of carb that bubbles up and leads to a nice and fluffy pearl white head. Definitely very appealing and ready for further inspection.

S- Right away a great bouquet of floral hops blended with citrus hops. This one if definitely packed with grapefruit and mango aromas and as further warming reveals a nice pine with a very faint and subtle lemony effervescence. The aroma hops are definitely well blended with the bittering hops and then right before a sip I can pick up a little malty sweetness, dare I say a very, very faint caramel sweetness. Very intoxicating aroma, so glad it's fresh as hell.

T- Whoa, a rush of succulent and juicy citrus hops explode with grapefruit and mango dancing all over the place and then finish with a great lemony pine twist. I am also able to taste the very faint caramel drizzle that leaves it's footprint on the very end of the taste. It's actually unbelievable that this is a year round beer. When this beer is fresh I would dare to say it's better than the oracle. Very tasty and quite refreshing.

M- The carb is perfect for the style and it allows every drop of the juicy hops to escape for taste. Really refreshing and a crisp and sharp finish. The slight tingle from the carb is amazing and leaves you wanting more and more.

D- Absolutely a must try when fresh. It's a tremendous crafting of hops and malt to make everything balance perfectly. It's moderate abv is no problem and can definitely be tolerated.

Nice job Larry, would love to try a dry hopped version!

12-21-2010 03:23:59 | More by StormKing47
OhYesILoveBeer

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Ah yes, the infamous Bell's Two Hearted Ale! Finally getting around to reviewing this beer seeing as Ive been drinking it religiously for a few years. 12oz bottle # 9953 with no freshness date poured into my Weyerbacher tulip.

Pours a cloudy orangish golden with a good looking 2" off white head that stays around for about 5 then dissipate's into a thin film across the brew.

Smell is dominated by the Citra hops used here, and I'm more than certain this beer is %100 Citra, even in the dry hopping. This brew has a nice floral, fruity, resinous hop character and a subtle sweet pale crystal malt background. Not too much yeast character to be noticed here, most like a SafAle breed or Nottingham.

This wicked brew tastes like an awesome homebrew! Full of citrus like resinous hop flavor from the Citra's, a subtle yeasty touch, and a sweet pale malt character to back it up. Very nicely balanced in my opinion.

The mouthfeel is pretty standard for the style, even though I view this brew as a APA, not an IPA. A crisp drink with a somewhat oily characteristic to it.

Overall I have always been a fan of Bells. Yes I know some of their brews are extremely overpriced, but I seem to always go back for more. Even @ $11.99 for a 6pk at various places here in Atlanta, this brew is always a must if you see a few on the shelves. Cheers!

12-21-2010 03:18:11 | More by OhYesILoveBeer
velosuds

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Thanks to my son for bringing home from college.

A-Pours slightly hazy golden amber with almost a two finger, off-white head with good retention and abundant lacing. Very fine appearance.

S-Pronounced juicy citrus hops. Grapefruit is most prominent and then lemon. There is also some sweetness from the malts, and pine. I love Centennial hops.

T-Well balanced. Hops are aggressive without being overpowering. Malt backbone in finish is slightly too sweet. Juicy citrus hops are again the most prominent taste profile, especially grapefruit.

M-Very smooth with good carbonation.

D-This is a very good IPA and the best I have enjoyed brewed east of the Rocky Mountains. I have never seen this available in the PNW and probably won't have again anytime soon. Glad to have tried it, but even more glad it did not knock my socks off since not readily available to me.

12-21-2010 02:47:33 | More by velosuds
titosupertramp

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A: Golden orange. Nice carbonation, white head with flowing lace that leaves sticky blotches behind.

S: Smells sweet..citrus.

T: Nice herbal, citrus hops..grapefruity. Pretty strong malt backbone balances Two Hearted out nicely. Liking the bitter aftertaste.

M: Not as sticky or a dry as I would have expected. Bubbly and smooth.

D: This is extremely drinkable. Because it's not as dry as a lot of IPAs, this one doesn't lend itself to sipping. Two Hearted is very enjoyable and can stand toe to toe with any regular IPA on the market.

12-21-2010 00:41:31 | More by titosupertramp
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.