Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

I've had this beer many times and it's one of my favorite IPAs that are readily available. Batch number 10207, packaged on 02/09/11, enjoyed on 03/02/11. Pretty fresh considering how long it usually takes stuff to reach the beer wasteland of Alabama.

A - Poured into a DFH pint glass. Good looking light gold color with just slight haze. White one finger head, leaves splotchy lacing. Good looking beer.

S - As fresh as it is, the aroma seems somewhat muted for an IPA. What I can pick up, however, is quite good. Nice piney, resin hops with a good malt backbone. Quite fruity as well.

T - Taste is nice and balanced. Good sweet, nutty malts with a big hop bitterness. Citrus, resin, pine, and some fruity hoppiness. I'd like this bitterness to linger for a little longer but other than that, a very good IPA.

M/D - Mouthfeel is just a little thin and doesn't leave the taste on the tongue for quite long enough. Not bad though. That being said, I can drink this stuff like water. Delicious and very drinkable.

Another tasty one from Bell's as always. It's very good for the price and always available. Good stuff.

Janderson91, Mar 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours hazy lemon-orange with a stiff white head. Big, oily fresh Centennial nose with some sour branch underneath. Orange hard candy malts - marmalade on toast, others have said - with lots of floral and resin hops that sit on the tongue with a sherbet creaminess. Perfumed finish and a salty linger. Medium, chewy and incredibly round and smooth.

Lovely! After a day of tastings, even with a fatigued palate and a fuzzy head, this stood head and shoulder above everything else. A big, silky, orangey, compulsively drinkable IPA.

StJamesGate, Mar 02, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours to a cloudy golden amber with a nice, one-finger head. A flavorful beer that is heavy on the hops, with a nicely balanced level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, with the hops and bitterness. A very crisp beer that you'll enjoy if you consider yourself a "hophead."

bertram, Mar 02, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

Haven't had this brew in a while. Picked up from a recent trip to Ohio. Poured from bottle into pint glass. Straw color, very clear. Nice head with great lacing.

Nose is a bit plain; not much going on. A whiff of straw?

Not as asserive with the hops as I remember. Good hop bitterness, but nothing crazy. Maybe all the other BIG IPAs have spoiled (?) me, but this one is kind of underwhelming.

ProudBeerSnob, Mar 02, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

Really like this beer. Nice aroma when i poured it from the bottle to the glass. Thought it tasted awesome, good beer for someone just starting to make the transition into the craft side of the world in my opinion. Very drinkable with a nice after taste.

CampbellKe11, Mar 01, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.

A. Nice wheaty gold color, straw. Some head a lacing. It's a fairly clear brew.

S. Very strong hop and wheat blend. Some berry.

T. Very nice hoppy beer. There is a dark berry fruitiness to it and it's quite bubbly. The hops give it a good kick.

Amalak, Mar 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

I've had this twice from a bottle and once on tap. The first two times I had it, bottle and then on tap, I wasn't too impressed. I was ready to write a mediocre review for this one with this last bottle, but it is surprising me! Let's see...

A - Beautiful hazy golden. Head is not too impressive, but lacing is quite nice.

S - Smells wonderful. Probably one of the nicest smelling IPAs I've had. Super citrusy, floral, and piny. All hops.

T - Very sweet and nice up front. citrusy in the middle and like sucking on a pinecone in the finish. VERY bitter beer. The first two times I had it, I thought it was extremely unbalanced. This go 'round it is still a little rough on the palate, but the other flavors pull it through pretty well. As with the nose, its all hops.

M - Crisp and nice. about medium body with very nice levels of carbonation.

D - Hmm... This one is kinda hard to call for me. I'm pretty impressed by this particular tasting, but I remember barely being able to finish the other two. It seemed like they were just liquid hop oil. Not much flavor too much bitterness. By this tasting I'm intrigued to try it yet again if given the opportunity, but it is just a little too pungent and I don't think I will be actively seeking it out.

Dave128, Feb 28, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz -> Weyerbacher tulip. Gift from my buddy Frank in Allentown, PA. Have had this several times before. Always a welcome addition to the fridge.

A - Bright gold, full two finger frothy head. Steady card bubbles. Sticky netted lacing stays through to the end.

S - Light orange and lemon, mild bready yeast, light hop pressense

T - Very hop forward. Carb helps this to feel crisp and clean. Light peppery notes. Malt is not nearly as present as in the nose. Nice bitter hoppy finish.

M - Heavy carb feel, other wise pretty light mouth feel.

D - The ABV is right about where I want most beers. After two you're feeling in just a tad but you can still fully enjoy it. I really like this beer as a solid go to IPA, an excellent representation of the style. I'd buy this as often as I could find it. I wish Bell's was in MD. I can only hope that they will in the future.

tbrown4, Feb 27, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I've never reviewed this. It's go time. This is
Batch 10199 and the Batch Finder tells me that it was packaged on January 31, 2011. Yummy freshness to come.

Two Hearted pours a beautiful, see through, golden-amber-orange that just sparkles when held to light. Poured into a 23 oz. snifter, a one finger, eggshell white head forms. There are a fair amount of carbonation bubbles in the body and they move at medium pace. The lacing is phenomenal. Even when it is still quite cold and I haven't yet imbibed, beautiful spindly patterns blossom on the sides of the glass post-swirl.

The aroma brings pure hop goodness to my nose. Pine resin, cannabis, fresh, dewy grass, grapefruit, and earthy metals are derivative of the all-Centennial hop bath from whence Two Hearted is born. It is something else, this aroma. Deep inhales reveal just enough of a caramel and toasted malt balance to keep the runaway hop train from flying off the tracks. But, mostly, hops just assault my nose.

The taste reveals a much more appropriate balance of hops and malt; I mean, good Lord, my tongue would suffer from hop shock (ooh, that's a good name for a hoppy beer), wither, and fall out of my mouth if the taste was as hop-alicious (another one! Bam!) as the smell. That said, the bitter, resiny hops still rip at the sides of my palate as the sweet malt flavors blanket my tongue. So citrusy, so bitter, and so delicious is Two Hearted. I should note this: when I was not as much a beer geek as I am now, whenever I drank Two Hearted, it made me think of eating carrots. I'm not sure why, although I am guessing the earthiness of the hops made me taste earthy carrots. Actually, the last sip I took was quite carrot-y.

Two Hearted's mouthfeel is abusive and is really just what I seek from an American IPA. The hops just bombard my bitter receptors as the malt sweetness tries to coat my tongue and make me feel a little better. In the end, they don't and I couldn't be happier. This is a saliva-sucking IPA and makes my mouth feel quite hoppy in love (damn, breweries should be reading this for hop-named beer ideas).

Well, you can probably guess after this gushing review that I think Two Hearted is drinkable. And you're right. My only critique would be that T.H. that is this fresh would just wreck my palate and leave it in a sloppy mess after two or three of them. That's just the price one has to pay for fresh, hoppy beer, though. One of my all-time favorites and an IPA that I will be enjoying until I die.

TCHopCraver, Feb 26, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Looks great, perfect golden honey brown. In fact, looks purer than honey.

S - Great smell! When first opened reminded me of an old breakfast cereal, can't put my finger on which one. Almost smells like a Froot Loops or Apple Jacks. Definitely traditional piney scents, with great citrus notes. You almost wish Pinesol w/ Lemon, smelled like Two Hearted.

T - Great, crisp taste. With a perfect bite, like stepping on perfectly crunchy leaves right at the break of fall. If, like me, IPAs aren't your favorite, try to hold it in your mouth and tip your head back a little forcing it to hit the back part of your tongue. You should get less pine, and much more citrus. And if you really like the pine taste, this trick might help you appreciate almost an entirely different beer.

M - Feels fine. Take smaller sips, savor it, enjoy it, embrace it. Take note of where it hits you on your hard palate (roof of your mouth) and where it naturally lands on your tongue. Not too much carbonation, which results in an overall pleasant feel, (I prefer more carbonation though).

D - Definitely one of the better drinkable IPAs. And coming from someone who's not the biggest IPA fan, that should mean a lot. If you have a friend who prefers wheat ales or lagers and you're trying to broaden their horizons. Two-hearted is a great way to get their foot in the door.

Cheers

jessycho, Feb 26, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

had this a ton of times, just finally uploading my review from almost a year ago...

Pours a yellowish gold with a lot of frothy head. Nice lacing and good head retention. Looks pretty. Smells citrusy and hoppy. Lots of grapefruit on the nose. Tastes similar... Nice floral and citrus balance. Well carbonated and very drinkable. A top notch brew!

Urbancaver, Feb 26, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +11.9%

Got this one from Trader Joe's in Madison last weekend. This will definitely not be the last time I have this beer. Fantastic IPA in my opinion. Poured a slightly cloudy light copper color with very little head. Great hop aroma. Taste is fantastic. Plenty of hops but very well balanced and easy to drink. Very smooth. I will be looking for this one again very soon.

richkrull, Feb 25, 2011

Grade from the group = B+.

"Nice fishing IPA - too much of a boy beer."

First, the beer pours clear yellowish with a brown tint in color with about 1 finger of head.

Once the beer is poured, the fumes exhibited a hoppy bitterness and sweet smell with a slight pine smell like an x-mas tree. While someone else stated, "the smell jumps on you like an Haitian at a Union soccer game."

The beer had little to no carbonation but had a complex, sharp taste to it. As far as drinking is concerned, the beer had a smooth but not too bitter taste and a strong after taste.

Many felt the beer is more of a casual session beer like the art depicts one may grab a few of these for a day of fishing.

Finally, the beer had a smooth yet slightly bitter taste to it with a fruity after taste and long hop finish.

nosurrender23, Feb 24, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a beer I go to a out of my way to get on tap. Good hoppy sweet smell and dark amber color. Head laces around the glass and sticks around for most of the beer. The alchol is mildly present. Good drinkability not one of pound-able beer though, meant to be enjoyed.

mixitchugit, Feb 24, 2011

Fantastic beer. The BEST that's somewhat easy to obtain.

Great color. It's beautiful to look at.

Definitely a hoppy beer, but unlike others that tend to be overbearing this one goes just perfectly with the other flavors in the beer.

Floral hoppy scent.

Nice head.

nickclarson, Feb 24, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Was excited to see this in my kitchen as a surprise recently, my roommate's favorite beer.

Appearance is amber, with a light orange. Not much of a head on mine, but lacing sticks around after each sip.

A fairly standard IPA aroma, with maybe a bit more floral than the typical one. Very inviting.

First sip is bitter as expected but quite enjoyable. Orange up front, dry hops, and some pine. My favorite part of this is the aftertaste. Crisp, clean, and pleasant, a beer that I find truly refreshing. Would love to have this on a patio in July with steak and not in my living room after a foot and a half of snow and no food in the apartment.

Mouthfeel is great. Excellent balance of carbonation and hops.

Drinkability is good as well, tried to savor this one, but still finished pretty quickly and felt the need to have another one.

Overall, a very solid IPA. Haven't had enough kinds to determine if it is one of my favorites or not. Still very enjoyable.

RonnieBear, Feb 23, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

I love this beer. It is one of my favorite IPA's. It pours a golden color with moderate head. The citrus hop aroma is extremely pleasant. The initial taste is nice and bitter and then the citrusy hops take over. The aftertaste is also very pleasant. I love the hop character of this beer. It is not an overwhelmingly hoppy IPA. It is one of the easier drinking IPA's on the market and I hope the distribution reaches New Hampshire soon.

Schracky, Feb 22, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Hazy golden and poured with about a 3/4 inch thick foamy head. Left nice lace throughout the glass. Kept a nice cap throughout.

S - Fruity and hoppy, but not overly hoppy. Nice balance between floral, grapefruit and hops.

T - Yum.

M - Subtle malt, but nice floral / hoppy taste. Perfect carbonation. Everything mixes well.

D - Very smooth for a 7%er... one of my favorite IPA's... other than my homebrew, of course!

StLThrash, Feb 22, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Received this in my first trade from fourkicks. Enjoyed on 2/10/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Light golden color with a nice finger of head that dissipates quickly.

S: Lots of floral and grapefruit smells. More floral than I've smelled in a while.

T: Lots of floral taste up front that gives way to subtle grapefruit. Nice malt backbone.

M: Lots of carbonation which seems to keep this from getting to syrupy for me. Just on the brink of syrupy.

D: Enjoyed this one from beginning to end. Easy to drink for 7% with plenty of hops.

gregshead, Feb 21, 2011

After having hundreds of these, finally reviewing it. Batch 10197

A- Beautiful glowing amber color with some touches of orange. Perfect white foamy head that sticks around.

S- Smells of dry hops and citrus. Notes of lemon and orange come through. Reminiscent of some west coast IPAs.

T- a crisp malty taste with hints of pineapple and orange. It then transitions to a flavor of dry hops and pine. Aftertaste is malty and dry with a nice hoppy touch.

M- Like most bells beers, pretty much perfect. Excellent balance of malt/hoppiness/carbonation. Good body for the style.

D- Very nice and drinkable. With a little less alcohol this would be a great ipa session beer. As it is it is one of my favorite single IPAs available on the east coast.

Should be a staple in any hop lovers beer diet

Gfunk720, Feb 20, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Tan-orange with a good, lasting one finger head, slight haze and nice lacing.

Smell is citrus hops, pine, and grapefruit, with a smidge of maltiness. Very nice.

Taste is really nice. A fine hoppy base with a nicely blended bit of piney grapefruit and just a touch of malt. Just a barely detectable sweetness and perfect bitterness rounds out the flavors nicely. A great IPA.

Feel is smooth, rich, finely yet amply carbonated, and medium bodied. Very good. Kind of like a more mellow version of hopslam.

A bit more balanced and drinkable than hopslam, although that comparison would be per the brewery and not per style, since hopslam is a double. Still, this is a nice beer that I really enjoyed (although truth be told, I really liked hopslam too).

AlCaponeJunior, Feb 20, 2011

Poured a 1 inch foam head and a copper color. Definite hop rom a with a fruity grapefruit smell. Taste was quite hoppy in a good way.

I'd heard a lot of hype on this beer, and overall I'd say it wasn't a letdown but I don't see myself craving this anytime soon.

trecker, Feb 20, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a hazy golden color with a big pillowy egg shell colored head that slowly settled into a nice cap leaving some chunk lacing.

The aroma is of grapefruit and tropical fruit hops. Quite a sweet profile. Notes of caramel, honey and pepper come through as well.

The taste is of mellow tropical fruit hop flavors, with some strong pepper notes. A very sweet, bready malt brings some caramel and honey flavors. Kind of a strange AIPA as the malt is quite big. I feel that this beer actually tastes better when it is colder, seems to subdue the malt and lets the hops stick out more.

The feel is moderate to full, again quite big for an AIPA. Fairly soft carbonation leads to a smooth feel; very good balance between sweet and bitter.

A very good AIPA but something irks me about it a bit. The malt seems to be a bit too big and can be overpowering as the beer warms, giving the beer a slightly odd taste. That said it is very well balanced and drinks well, especially when it is colder.

Gmann, Feb 19, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

A very good beer and easy to find in the Midwest. I use this beer to judge others against. Let it warm up or pour it in a warm glass instead of a frosty glass. Like most IPAs it is better at 55 degrees than 35 degrees.

A - mahogany
S- light but better when a little warm
T - better when not ice cold
M - good medium
D - great with food, fried fish, burgers etc....

notalagerlugger, Feb 19, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

wow...this ipa is a keeper!

the appearance is a dark yellow...to light orange....with a beautiful full white head....and nice lacing....

smells citrusy....grapefruit...there is also maybe a touch of earthy smell there too....

taste is outstanding....the citrus hops shine through well...but not overly bitter....a little bit of the malt comes through too....but its kinda light for a 7% abv beer....

the feel is creamy...and feels like it should be in your mouth...

great drink ability...good session beer

nickthegun12, Feb 18, 2011
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.