Two Hearted Ale - Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-11-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Two Hearted Ale Alström Bros
jdense

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at Flying Saucer KC in the ubiquitous pint glass.

Two finger lingering white head, nice lacing. Golden hue brew with nice carbonation. Floral hop nose with notable malt presence, but not too sweet. Slightly grassy and piny hop presence with a faint grapefruit aftertaste on the taste buds with a biscuit malt mouth feel, but a very nice balance between hops and malt. While I was disappointed I wasn't able to try the much ballyhooed Hop Slam, I thought this was an extremely drinkable, nicely balanced IPA, more akin to the NW style than the in yo face hopability of SoCal IPAs. I really enjoyed this, and hope the six pack stashed in my suitcase makes it back to Oregon. My first Bell's brew, and I am very impressed. Very Highly Recommended.

04-21-2009 16:38:01 | More by jdense
beerman207

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

I've had this before but decided to finally review this amazing beer

A - The3 head of this thing is enormous - I'd say 4 fingers of head. The head also stays around a while leading to some nice lacing in the glass. The look of the beer is a cloudy amber.

S - Spice and fruit coming through in the nose

T- Spice and hops as well as some malt presence here in the taste - nice.

M- Has a bite to it but nothing too overpowering. Very nice

D - This is high. I could have a few of these

04-21-2009 01:45:15 | More by beerman207
babaracas

Pours a hazy amber with two fingers of white foam. Settles to a half inch, leaving a couple of rings of lace. Smell: floral, apricot, orange peel, slightly lemony and woodsy. Taste: hoppy, but reasonably balanced...spicy, sweet orange citrus, pineapple aftertaste (is a flavor here), sugary pale backdrop. Medium bodied with a soft, creamy feel. It's right on par for a good IPA, nothing more or less. Bottled 6/30/2011, drank 7/28/2011.

04-20-2009 06:10:31 | More by babaracas
cdViking

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Received in BIF from Alan (thanks man), consumed on 4/18.

Pours a wonderful amber with lovely white head that mostly evaporates after awhile. Smell is the most amazing thing, with wonderful pine hitting the front end. This is a hoppy beast, and its apparent from the first sip. Pine dominates the initial tasting but the citrus comes through a few short sips in. Wonderfully nice feeling, and while fantastic tasting, a little bitter to consume frequently.

04-19-2009 04:21:12 | More by cdViking
br3wmeister

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Huge bubbly white head with larger bubble around the edges that pop more quickly leaving a mound in the middle of the glass. The beer is a clear pail copper color.

S- Piny and citrus hops come through the strongest. There is a nice sweet malt backbone that brings out caramel honey and white cake aromas.

T- Nice spicy, herbal and citrusy hops make a good presence in this beer. The hops are balanced by sweet almost honey like flavors. It ends with a nice dose of hops and drys bitter aftertaste.

M- Has a nice crisp bite as it enters your mouth then a nice juicy sweetness and drys out in the end with a little bite. Very refreshing.

Overall I would have to say this is one of the most well done IPA's I have ever had. It is very drinkable yet displays the hops beautifully.

04-19-2009 03:13:18 | More by br3wmeister
JAA

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours relatively light in color compared to many IPAs. Almost a true gold. Two finger head is soft as a pillow and just freely floats on top of the beer.

Smells of candied citrus, floral hops and very faintly of grass clippings.

Tastes exceptional. One of my favorite IPAs. Very prominent and clean hops. Not extremely well balanced, but good enough. A little citrus, perhaps grapefruit and lemon. Laces with the best of 'em, thats for sure.

Easy to drink. A bit tangy from the hops, but that only leaves you wanting more. Great beer.

04-17-2009 20:59:52 | More by JAA
buschbeer

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

I poured into a pint glass to a white fluffy head. It was a golden color. Pine, floral, and citrus dominated the aroma. At first the pine was apparent but after several drinks the citrus came out. I am not an IPA lover. I like RIS, porters, and stouts, so I am using this as an example of an excellent IPA. I will continue to experiment with this style until I have a better grasp on it.

04-17-2009 02:37:29 | More by buschbeer
Larrytown

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a murky orange with plenty of lacing. Really nice looking beer. Grapefruit hits me first in the nose along with the hops, but a little tamer than I was expecting.

Balance is the key word with this one. Oh yeah, the hops are there, but this is a well-rounded beer; a tiny bit of breadiness and a quick punch of sweetness at the end give this is nice rounded taste.

Not too hard to get to the bottom of this glass; I think another one might be following it quickly.

04-17-2009 02:35:07 | More by Larrytown
drink1121

4.83/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer was great. I wanted my brother to see the difference between an American Pal Ale and an American India Pale Ale.

So we drank this next to a Flying Dog Doggie Style APA. This beer blew it out of the water, even though my brother liked the APA more, cause this one was "too hoppy" for him.

Everything was great about this beer. Taste was perfect.
I am glad my brother didnt like it, so I could have it all.
Drinkablity is slightly down because of the intense hops.

04-16-2009 15:57:59 | More by drink1121
tigg924

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: cloudy orange/gold with a one inch head and big carbonation

Smell: hops-grapefruit, and citrus

Taste: Based off of the smell, I was thinking this was going to be a hop bomb. The taste is really complex however. Hops do shine through, but it is balanced by malt and fruit. I get tastes of honey, honeydew melon, sweet fruit like orange and pineapple..Just a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, sweet with a small bitter hoppy aftertaste

Drinkability: This is a very balanced beer and firmly has me as a Bells convert. To me this does to IPAs what their Amber did to ambers. I love this beer. The highish ABV is masked, but I could otherwise drink these as a session.

04-16-2009 14:54:57 | More by tigg924
barnzy78

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz. Carefully decanted contents into a pint glass to leave sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Poured a transparent bright amber with a decent whitish head that left some lacing on the glass. Aromas are citrus - grapefruit with hints of lemon and orange. Also a nice floral hop presence with pine and slight hints of bubblegum. Mouth-feel is rather thin, but has some hop oiliness that coats the palate. Tastes are grapefruit, pine, and also has some floral notes from the hops. Hop bitterness is present, but well balanced by the fruity sweetness. This is one of the more sound American IPA's out there - a favorite of mine.

04-15-2009 00:52:53 | More by barnzy78
Murchmac

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to younger35, may you stay forever young.

Rainy Day Woman 35, everybody must get stoned to this beer. Pours a beautiful cloudy orange with yellow highlights. B. U. T. Full.

Smells of very sweet malts, citrus, earthy, great smell. Let me smell of wildflowers flow free through my blood

Tastes beautifully hoppy, sweet, grapefruity, just a perfect for an IPA, it carries on it's shoulder a siamese cat, but I discovered this beer is really, where it's at.

Lingering citrus taste, sticky icky. Like Bob Dyan said about this beer:

So now I'm goin' back again,
I got to get to her somehow.
All these beers I used to know are an illusion to me now...

04-14-2009 04:06:33 | More by Murchmac
moratorii

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Almost a carmel/amber color, but a little lighter.

S: Citrusy. Hoppy.

T: Very smooth. Perhaps a little too much so. The hop presence is great, but could be a little more potent.

M: Smooth. Easy.

D: If it weren't for the high abv, could easily be a session beer. Quite easy and enjoyable to drink.

04-14-2009 03:10:43 | More by moratorii
Zeckster

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

So my friends and I had a 16 beer bracket of locally found beers. They had to come in 6 packs and be available at the start of the bracket.

Kalamazoo.

For me this won with a combination of

A - Top shelf. Golden color and nice bit of head. The lacing looked wondrous.

S - okay. a little smell of hop, but not overwhelming

T - Smoooth. Taste the hop and it chills out in your mouth.

M - Dry and crisp

D - I would like to say I could drink it all day, but totally not able to do it. Still its wonderful on a warm day.

Grab yourself a pack!

04-13-2009 18:52:56 | More by Zeckster
psulovesbeer

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Served in a pint glass.
Nice fluffy head a little fuller and more sticky than your average.
Smell is of hops and some more hops...pine and grapefruit stick to your nose.
The taste is sweet hops upfront...nothing bitter until the end...grapefruit dominates with a hint of pine and a balanced malt sweetness. Typical IPA pucker hits the end and from what ive seen my bottle might be a bit older to have lost the real hop pucker but IMO this is very good and drinkable where some say its to much.
Mouthfeel is right on with crisp sweetness and delicious flavors making you want more leaving it very drinkable minus the higher ABV.

04-10-2009 03:28:04 | More by psulovesbeer
abecall98

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

I finally have the chance to try this amazing brew. Thank you DukeDevil0

A - Wow, this beer looks magnificent. This beer poured a perfect half inch head in my pint glass, and has a very pale orange tint. Lacing is pretty.

S - very light, faint piney smell. The weakest aspect of this beer, not much going on in the nose.

T - Starts off bitter and piney sharp, then gets citrusy, and ends with a smooth sweetness. Great flavor in this brew.

M - this beer is smooth, crisp, dry, and perfectly carbonated for an IPA. This is the beers strongest aspect by far.

D - you cannot notice the 7% of this brew. There is nothing overpowering about this near perfect IPA.

Wow, I have heard good things about this beer, but damn am I over whelmed by how the hype for this beer delivered. Excellent brew.

04-10-2009 02:00:00 | More by abecall98
greenjeff4141

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Pours a clear, light golden color with a nice four-finger head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: The smell is of spicy hops, not too heavy but apparent and the focus. The beer has a light grapey scent too along with some bread characteristics. It smells like an IPA but isn't in your face like some.

T: Taste is citrusy and winey, and a bit spicy like pepper. The alcohol is present in the mix but not strong, the hop bitterness comes into play late and lingers on the tongue. A good mild balance of all the flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is light, a tad oily but not heavy. Lots of carbonation, which gives a nice feel. The carbonation is heavier than other IPAs but gives a nice contrast to the smooth flavors.

D: Drinkability is good. I could drink a few of these, for the style of beer and the alcohol content the mix is nice and easy to drink.

04-09-2009 02:59:47 | More by greenjeff4141
alcstradamus

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A--Murky golden yellow, poured a little too hard but pulled back and still got 3 fingers of fluffy white head. Decent lacing and very good head retention.

S--Sweet and malty with a big blast of citrus hops. Lemon, orange, and pear.

T--Very well balanced IPA that hits most of the right notes. Enough bready maltiness to give it a small sweet kick and then good hop bitterness to wash it down. Lots of flowery notes in the hops. This might be the best American IPA I've had yet. I jumped into DIPA's first so when going back I tend to find a lack of flavor in many IPA's, but this is definitely an exception.

M--Slightly too watery, doesn't really coat the mouth like I would hope but it washes down clean with no bad lingering tastes

D--This is it here, I think this is the beer I would use to introduce someone new to IPA's. Wish this wasn't 7% because it has the flavor profile for a great session beer but with catch up quick with you if you drink it too fast.

Two Hearted Ale is definitely a world class beer. Give it a shot.

04-08-2009 23:54:54 | More by alcstradamus
wesbrownyeah

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Appearance is a funky orange fluid with a heavy carbonated head of one inch that slowly falls leaving plenty of lacing.

Smell is fresh cut hops that are also followed by a malty goodness. Alittle oil scent as well.

Taste is off balance. I taste metals, sulfer, hops and malt.. in that order... wierd. Try again... this time left alittle foam on my upper lip but still has the same taste with lingering after taste.

M-D- When it comes down to mouthfeel and drinkability i love all ipas and will forever. But for this one it leaves me wandering what went wrong.
M- Not the smoothest beer and leaves mouth feeling dry and unsatisfied.
D- Will have again not sure when.

04-07-2009 18:56:09 | More by wesbrownyeah
sarahspat

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Monstrous, space-hogging head. I mean, I poured firmly, but this is a little ridiculous. It looks very soft and fluffy and is off-white with an orangish tint to it. Very little lacing. The liquid is cloudy; golden, yellowy hues.

The nose contains tropical fruits and floral notes, and a little piney, peaty mustiness. I hate to say it, but there's also, a weird kind of plastic-like smell. It tastes much like it smells. There's some great hops notes going on here: pineapple, apricot, grapefruit, cotton candy. All the bitterness you would expect for an American IPA. An unwelcome metallic taste appears as it warms. Not cute. Light mouthfeel, and probably over-carbonated.

This used to be one of my favorite IPAs. However, for some reason this bottle featured a weird plastic-ness to it. I don't know if it's because my palate has changed or some other reason, but this beer is a but a shadow of my memory of it. The bad flavors are not overpowering, but enough for me to dock the taste and smell for it. Having said that, I won't dock them as much as I would if I were basing the scores on this bottle alone. Two Hearted Ale no longer deserves the position of a "fall back" beer. I will drink it in situations where nothing else of quality is available, but I will not seek it out on its own right anymore.

Edit: I drank two bottles (from the same batch) and they both had the weird plastic flavor. I will not raise my score on this review, even though I have had better TH's in the past. I don't know what's up with Bell's' quality control, but I think TH deserves lower scores if they are going to sell beers with a flaw this noticeable.

04-07-2009 02:51:56 | More by sarahspat
KickInTheChalice

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: A bit lighter than an amber, the two hearted ale pours a full orange color with a rich, creamy head. Leaves slight, but noticeable lacing down the side of the glass in rings at the level of rest.

Smell: A strong caramel malt aroma with citrus hints, along with a strong hop character.

Taste: A strong malt flavor greets the palette, with the orange and apricot citrus flavors creeping in. The hops bring in the more detailed grapefruit and peach flavors. A nice bitter pinch at the end of the sip is nicely offset by a caramelized sweetness, leaving my mouth with a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: A full, somewhat grainy feel. More creamy than carbonated.

Drinkability: A good beer with a strong, balanced flavor. Definitely a nice beer to enjoy with a flavorful sandwich. This beer has enough flavor to keep me interested and is balanced enough for me to really savor it.

04-06-2009 17:14:42 | More by KickInTheChalice
youngblood

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

This is one of my stand by IPA's. Very nice looking beer here. Pours semi-gold and amber with a very fluffy pure white head.Sticks around for a bit and then laces the glass as the brew disappears. This smells very piney and floral, with some underlying citrus (although quite faint). The hops are obviously the focus of this IPA and oils taste wonderful. Strong pine dryness coming through with a sweet malt backbone. Bit of raison underneath? Quite complex for an IPA. Very nice mouthfeel, smooth and slightly sticky. Very drinkable and refreshing.

04-06-2009 15:43:18 | More by youngblood
BacklitAvenger

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Presentation - Poured the fishy bottle into a tulip as it was the only clean glass. Paired with a porter-laced irish chedder. Mmmmm!

Appearance - A pretty golden color all the way through. Held to the light it is luminously yellow, straw-colored but more vibrant in hue than your average straw colored beer. Ivory head caps a bubbly body, leaving lacings all up and down the inside of the tulip.

Smell - Citric, piney hops. The malt doesn't come through very well in the aroma, perhaps a bready note here or there?

Taste - Here's where the beer really shines. It is definitely hops forward, but there's a very substantial maltiness as well if one pays attention to the overall flavor. It's a biscuity, grain flavor, like baked bread. The hops are citric, but also floral and piney, a characteristic I prefer because too many IPAs I have tasted are grapefruit or tangerine bombs with nary a note of malt, or even a non citric hop to be found. This is a more balanced brew with a solid malt backbone and a more complex hop bouquet. Luckily this brew also escapes one of the worse pitfalls that IPAs can fall into: extreme bitterness. This has a bitter taste about mid swallow, and a dry finish, but the aftertaste is all hops. Despite this, there's no lingering bitterness, and the bitter tastes in the drink are balanced by the malt.

Mouthfeel - Light, yet substantial. The carbonation is moderate, not too much or too little.

Drinkability - A bit higher ABV than my usual brews, but definitely refreshing and thirst quenching in any situation. I have drank myself stupid on my friend's two hearted (wouldnt waste mine that way) and I can assure you it's just as tasty and drinkable after ten than after one.

A Note - This will start to lose hop flavor after a month or so in the fridge, and less in the cellar. Some people might not like this, but I say it is about equally good after losing some hops than before. It allows the tasty malts to really shine, and two hearted has a delicious grain bill, so maybe take a bottle when you grab a sixer and stick it somewhere for a month or two. Try it then if you're open minded enough.

04-06-2009 05:09:06 | More by BacklitAvenger
BoitSansSoif

France

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

A-Nearly clear golden-amber w/frothy white head. Decent lacing and retention.

S-Fresh floral and herbal hops, pale malt, light citrus, light biscuity notes, faint honey, grapefruit.

T-Even floral hops and pale malt, biscuity midpalate w/herbal character, and finish brings nice bitter hops w/aftertaste of light grapefruit rind.

M-Moderate-bodied w/even, prickly carbonation. The balance favors hop bitterness, but features a greater share of floral and herbal varieties, and less citrus hops than a lot of the American IPAs that are popular. This results in a reduction of the grapefruit/tangerine rind that sometimes dominates the finish and tips the balance overwhelmingly in favor of citrus hops.

D-One of my all-time favorite go-to beers.

04-04-2009 02:48:10 | More by BoitSansSoif
Sean9689

Bottle poured into pint glass. Amber in color...nothing too special. Lots of hoppy/citrus smell but really nothing else to note. Tastes like it smells, hops/floral/citrus with a clean finish. Mouthfeel is okay but really nothing to note...light carbonation and light body. I like this beer, but there are other IPAs I prefer.

04-02-2009 23:16:50 | More by Sean9689
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.